PDA

View Full Version : The Official Harry Potter Book Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

sarah
05-16-2007, 04:37 PM
Of course we need this. I re-read the entire series in January. I'm ready! I have my book pre-ordered at Borders and I'm showing up at the midnight party dressed as myself :lol:

make sure to please mark any spoilers for book seven with spoilertags!

much thanks and happy chatting.

MonteGss
05-16-2007, 04:38 PM
How would we know about spoilers for Book 7 already? :P

Cool thread!

sarah
05-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Also, if you're a huge fan or just a fan :lol: check out http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/ (http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/)

MonteGss
05-16-2007, 04:43 PM
Work there or something?

MonteGss
05-16-2007, 04:44 PM
Order of the Phoenix is the only movie I will pay $8 to go see at a theatre. I can't wait!

sarah
05-16-2007, 04:45 PM
no. I've been a member for a long time but hardly post (haras is my name over there)

Rjeso
05-16-2007, 04:46 PM
Aaawesome costume idea.

I've had mine preordered for a while, too. I chose a Trust Snape sticker. :P

sarah
05-16-2007, 04:48 PM
yeah, i'm really looking forward to OotP and I'll see it opening night.

MonteGss
05-16-2007, 04:48 PM
I didn't pre-order mine from Borders. I had to get it from Target...it'll be cheaper there. :)
I'm not sure which sticker I would have gotten though.

BlakeMP
05-16-2007, 06:08 PM
I ordered mine and my sister's copies from Borders. It's the last book, and I wanted to do a midnight release just ONCE. Never did it before.

sarah
05-16-2007, 06:48 PM
That's how I feel, Blake. I normally get mine from costco but because it is the last book I wanted to do the midnight deal. Plus, Borders is selling their preorders at 40% off the $34.99 price so it's all pretty much the same.

OchrisO
05-16-2007, 07:19 PM
I did the midnight deal for OotP and The Half Blood Prince. I'm not sure if I will for this one. I suppose it depends on the money situtation when it comes out. I'm very excited about it, yet sad taht it is the last one.

Marty
05-17-2007, 12:47 AM
I've been challenged to finally read all the books, chapter a day, up until the last book comes out.
You can view my struggles here: martypotter (http://martypotter.livejournal.com/)

And here, for your entertainment, is what Terry thought of Goblet of Fire: Terry Interview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5PL25Wy_r8)

Hope you likey :)

ManOfWesternesse
05-17-2007, 01:05 AM
....I re-read the entire series in January....
Snap! - also did a total re-read this year.
Only problem is that I'll have to fight my 12-yr-old for firsties on it // or splash out and buy 2 copies :)

Jean
05-17-2007, 02:06 AM
....I re-read the entire series in January....
Snap! - also did a total re-read this year.

so did I

only a month ago

MonteGss
05-17-2007, 03:08 AM
Me too! I had to prepare for the 7th...
:)

sarah
05-17-2007, 07:19 AM
I have the Half-blood prince on audio reserverd at the library so I can listen to it one more time before the Deathly Hallows. I'm fully obsessed. :p

sarajean
05-17-2007, 08:48 AM
i wouldn't have picked either sticker. i don't think snape is bad or good, he's just in it for himself.

maerlyn knows my thoughts on this, though...given how many !!!URGENT!!! harry potter texts, voicemails and discussions we've had/exchanged on the subject.

ps. if you haven't read martypotter yet, do so. it's the greatest thing ever.

sarah
05-17-2007, 09:02 AM
what urgent harry potter texts :unsure: I admit nothing

:ninja:

Matt
05-17-2007, 09:59 AM
I must confess...I never read the last one :(

I am going to have to do that before I can feel good about reading the Hallows.

Brice
05-17-2007, 10:05 AM
:o Yes, you should read it soon.

sarajean
05-17-2007, 11:07 AM
:o

not cool, matt. half blood prince is my (tied for first with prisoner of azkaban) favourite.

sarah
05-17-2007, 12:04 PM
same here, sj.

and matt, for shame. Check out the audio from the library and get a listening.

OchrisO
05-17-2007, 05:46 PM
Order of the Phoenix destroys all the other books. I doubt even the last one will be as good as Order of the Phoenix.

I cried like a baby when Sirius died. I fear that the movie will not to his death justice, because so far, they have done nowhere near the job of attaching you to the character that the books do. :\

Rjeso
05-17-2007, 05:48 PM
I hear ya, Chris. I hear ya.

Jean
05-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Order of the Phoenix destroys all the other books. I doubt even the last one will be as good as Order of the Phoenix.

I cried like a baby when Sirius died.

the same, including the inside of the spoiler above.

not even so hard when he died, but when Harry started walking about inquiring about the meaning of death and hoping for the impossible
Her insights into the nature of totalitarianism are also brilliant.

My other favorite is Azkaban, that's when I actually fell in love with the story.

MonteGss
05-18-2007, 03:29 AM
I really don't know which is my favorite. Certainly not the one of the first two, they weren't bad but eh *shrugs*
Probably OotP or HBP.

OchrisO
05-18-2007, 12:44 PM
I really don't know which is my favorite. Certainly not the one of the first two, they weren't bad but eh *shrugs*
Probably OotP or HBP.

I think she was still finding her voice in the first two.

MonteGss
05-18-2007, 03:05 PM
I think so also.

BlakeMP
05-19-2007, 06:43 AM
Most certainly -- when I began my reread, I felt that immediately.

And I've really gotta go with HBP as my favorite.

Sirius's death was hard, but I wept much harder for Dumbledore.

OchrisO
05-19-2007, 09:39 AM
Most certainly -- when I began my reread, I felt that immediately.

And I've really gotta go with HBP as my favorite.

Sirius's death was hard, but I wept much harder for Dumbledore.

That was ruined for me before I read it by an accidental forum click, but I still think Sirius's would have still hit me harder. What was even more emotional was Harry's dealing with it at the end of OotP. That was some good writing.

sarah
05-19-2007, 03:02 PM
I stay away from forums that close to release time for that exact reason. I don't watch tv or get on the computer or pretty much talk to anyone until i finish the book. :lol:

MonteGss
05-19-2007, 03:36 PM
It's a good thing we won't have to worry about spoiling anything around here with this cool ass spoiler block. :)

sarajean
05-20-2007, 07:37 AM
I stay away from forums that close to release time for that exact reason. I don't watch tv or get on the computer or pretty much talk to anyone until i finish the book. :lol:

unless it's me.

like when i accidentally spoiled some of the end of episode 3 for you.

i still can't believe you didn't know any of that.

pfft. and you call yourself a star wars geek.

:P

sarah
05-20-2007, 08:27 AM
um, no i don't consider myself a star wars geek. I'm just a fan. I've never read the books and I don't own any of the movies :o I know I know

sarajean
05-20-2007, 08:32 AM
that's it.

you're cut off.

sarah
05-20-2007, 08:33 AM
:lol: my secret is out! I'm so ashamed.

sarajean
05-20-2007, 08:48 AM
you should be.

Jean
05-20-2007, 11:00 AM
:rose: :rose: :rose:

... and now, after this brief Star Wars intermission, the discussion goes back to Harry Potter

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Palaver/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Palaver/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Palaver/0134-bear.gif

I noticed at a number of other sites that many people's favorite character was Snape. Mine, too (although not more favorite than Dumbledore). Who else loves Snape around here? And what are your [other] favorite characters?

sarajean
05-20-2007, 11:05 AM
i like snape, but he's not my favourite. actually, i can't say that i really have a favourite, favourite...but arthur weasley is high up on my list. most of the weasleys, actually.

i can't stand hagrid, and really hope that he's one of the first to die in the deathly hallows.

Erin
05-20-2007, 02:38 PM
I love Snape so far (I'm almost done with the third book). Mainly for lines such as this:

"What would your head have been doing in Hogsmeade, Potter? Your head is not allowed in Hogsmeade. No part of your body has permission to be in Hogsmeade."

I read that part in the breakroom at work today and burst out laughing. I also really like Ron a lot. He's much better in the books than in the movies. He seems a lot more sure of himself and confident in the books. Right now, i'd have to say Hermione is my least favorite. But I just don't think a lot has been done with her character yet.

sarajean
05-20-2007, 02:45 PM
i'm so glad you're getting into them, erin!

i told you oh-so-very long ago that you'd love them.

oh, and ron is SO much better in the books than he is in the movies.

Erin
05-20-2007, 02:48 PM
I know! Next up is another sarajean "Read them right now!" recommendation, the Lord of the Rings.

sarajean
05-20-2007, 02:50 PM
i'm going to pm you some other stuff you need to check out eventually.

BlakeMP
05-20-2007, 03:01 PM
Let her get through Harry and Tolkien first. :D

sarajean
05-20-2007, 03:06 PM
hey, i said eventually

MonteGss
05-20-2007, 04:28 PM
I noticed at a number of other sites that many people's favorite character was Snape. Mine, too (although not more favorite than Dumbledore). Who else loves Snape around here? And what are your [other] favorite characters?

I like Snape too cuz he's funny. I even like him for the same reason in the movies. When he sneaks up behind Harry and Ron while they are talking during class and he pushes their faces forward. :D
Dumbledore is pretty cool. I like Lucius Malfoy too just cuz he's so evil...I love to hate him.

sarah
05-20-2007, 04:30 PM
sj has a list like ten pages long of must reads :lol: keep in mind she's always right on with her picks.

My favorite charcter(s) are Ron and Harry. Not the movie ron and harry but the book ron and harry. Oh and I like Hagrid but I hope he gets killed. Also, I hope Hermione gets her head cut off.

MonteGss
05-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Also, I hope Hermione gets her head cut off.

:rofl:
She is a bit annoying, huh?

Marty
05-21-2007, 12:29 AM
I love Snape so far (I'm almost done with the third book). Mainly for lines such as this:

"What would your head have been doing in Hogsmeade, Potter? Your head is not allowed in Hogsmeade. No part of your body has permission to be in Hogsmeade."

I read that part in the breakroom at work today and burst out laughing. I also really like Ron a lot. He's much better in the books than in the movies. He seems a lot more sure of himself and confident in the books. Right now, i'd have to say Hermione is my least favorite. But I just don't think a lot has been done with her character yet.

I totally agree. The movie Ron is a complete gimp.

Darkthoughts
05-21-2007, 01:39 AM
Gimp...:p Um...I like Sirius for being a wild card, Snape for his general Snapishness and I also love Luna.

I think Percy will bite the dust in the last book, I think he'll do something heroic to redeem himself, but die doing whatever it is.

Jean
05-21-2007, 02:03 AM
Gimp...:p Um...I like Sirius for being a wild card, Snape for his general Snapishness and I also love Luna.

I think Percy will bite the dust in the last book, I think he'll do something heroic to redeem himself, but die doing whatever it is.
I think it is a little too predictable, almost like
expecting Slightman to die heroically in Wolves
And I love Luna, too!

Darkthoughts
05-21-2007, 03:42 AM
Weeeell, I guess it is, but theres a great theory that someone on DT.net (apologies to the poster, I've forgotten your name!) came up with which predicts that someone with a connection to the colour red would die in the last book, which could be any Weasley or Hagrid (Rubeus meaning red). I don't think Hagrid will go and Percy seemed the most obvious choice to me.

sarajean
05-21-2007, 11:16 AM
that was me!

<--- lady talitha at tdt.net

jhanic
05-21-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm currently about half through my umpteenth reading of Order. I just got a proof of Blaze, so I may put Harry on hold while I read that, but I WILL have all the HP books read by the time the last one comes out. I CAN'T WAIT!!!

John

BlakeMP
05-21-2007, 02:53 PM
I actually expect Hagrid to die... but I think Percy has a target on his chest too. He's got to suffer some sort of consequence for his actions at this point, and I think it'll be an extreme one.

Erin
05-21-2007, 04:48 PM
I just finished The Prisoner of Azkaban. What an amazing, well-written book. It was filled with suspense and I literally couldn't put it down. Now I'm super excited to start The Goblet of Fire tonight.

My favorite part from the ending: Ron calling the telephone a "fellytone". :lol:

Marty
05-22-2007, 12:12 AM
I just finished The Prisoner of Azkaban. What an amazing, well-written book. It was filled with suspense and I literally couldn't put it down. Now I'm super excited to start The Goblet of Fire tonight.

My favorite part from the ending: Ron calling the telephone a "fellytone". :lol:

Ah, comedy Ron. Softens the fact that the movie Ron is a ... well... you know.

Still keeping up with my chapter a day. It's mildly diverting my attention from my routine morning commuter rage.

Darkthoughts
05-22-2007, 01:58 AM
that was me!

:huglove: That theory rocks! It went down a storm at the HP site I goto too.

Rjeso
05-22-2007, 05:31 AM
Remus Lupin is my favorite character in the series. I like Sirius, too, and would dearly love to see a Marauders-era series. Too bad it'll never happen. Sigh. Third favorite is Ginny.

sarajean
05-22-2007, 08:46 AM
that was me!

:huglove: That theory rocks! It went down a storm at the HP site I goto too.

really? :blush:

that's awesome.

thanks for letting me know that.

AJ
05-22-2007, 09:32 AM
you know, i gotta confess my love for voldemort... and i think it's because of book six. i just hope he's not like The Crimson King, pathetic and not much of a character, all hype and no substance too disappointing, because other than the 1 brief fight with harry, and then the battle with dumbledore, and maybe a few flashes in the pensive... we haven't see how 'evil' he can be. and i just don't feel that J.K. could get away with the kind of violence associated with pure evil in a 'kids' book.

i want to see him take out hagrid in the worst way.

sarah
05-22-2007, 09:52 AM
i want to see him take out hagrid in the worst way.

yeah I think a lot of people feel that way. Oh hagrid doesn't stand a chance.

Jean
05-22-2007, 10:41 AM
Remus Lupin is my favorite character in the series. I like Sirius, too, and would dearly love to see a Marauders-era series. Too bad it'll never happen. Sigh. Third favorite is Ginny.
Remus Lupin is my favorite character! I am, in fact, partial to all them teachers (maybe because I'm one myself).

And I confess I love Hermione! Like I always was alone to love Susannah, I'm afraid I'll be alone here, too...

AJ
05-22-2007, 10:41 AM
like let's use an eviscerating spell... in front of harry, ron and hermione.

but not fang. i kinda like fang. :P.

Edit: Jean, i share the hermione love. and lupin was cool in PoA... but has fallen a little flat since then, IMHO.

Matt
05-22-2007, 10:42 AM
Not for me, I believe she is my favorite among the "kids" of the series.

But I love really smart women :blush:

Hannah
05-22-2007, 10:47 AM
Remus Lupin is my favorite character! I am, in fact, partial to all them teachers (maybe because I'm one myself).

And I confess I love Hermione! Like I always was alone to love Susannah, I'm afraid I'll be alone here, too...

Hermione has always been one of my favorites. I love how she deals with Ron. Like when she attacked him with the birds. :lol:

Aaron
05-22-2007, 11:06 AM
I really like Hermoine, too. Ron is the annoying one.

Hannah
05-22-2007, 11:08 AM
You know what's annoying?

Your face.

Rjeso
05-22-2007, 11:42 AM
Remus Lupin is my favorite character!

High five, Jean. I always knew you had great taste. ;)

The Red Rose
05-23-2007, 06:19 AM
J. K. Rowling doing a midnight signing, read about it here:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20070523/ten-rowling-in-midnight-potter-book-sign-ea4616c.html

The Official Bloomsbury site:

http://www.bloomsbury.com/harrypotter/event/

Thought I'd throw this up here as well as in the collectors forum.

Frunobulax
05-25-2007, 12:05 AM
Potterhead here....
I'm anxiously awaiting the final book to come out as well as the new film. I'm getting all geeky about it, too.

Jean
05-25-2007, 12:08 AM
any speculations? any theories, before it's too late? We don't have that much time.

Frunobulax
05-25-2007, 12:12 AM
Jeez....I don't know. I choose not to hypothesise too much and just enjoy reading it and discovering more than I thought I would.

Jean
05-25-2007, 12:15 AM
Sure. But these two kinds of mental activity can be done quite separately.

For example, talking about Snape. There's a theory that he was on our side till the end, and
when Dumbledore said his final "please...", he was asking Snape to kill him, - since his game was up anyway - not to make young Malfoy a murderer (also to kill a few other birds with the same stone).

Frunobulax
05-25-2007, 12:19 AM
Enter the Good Snape/Bad Snape argument.
For what it's worth, I think Snape is good.

Chassit
05-25-2007, 10:12 AM
DIES here is a link!! http://www.hecklerspray.com/jk-rowling-dont-ruin-the-bit-where-harry-potter-dies/20068328.php

Chassit
05-25-2007, 10:19 AM
Damn I didn't see this thread when I made the other

Jean
05-25-2007, 10:22 AM
it's ok

::merging... merging...................::

say-hey abracadabra!

it was a piece of simple facilitating magic, quite appropriate to HP threads.

VolsToTheWall
05-25-2007, 06:46 PM
I'm also a big HP fan. I have been avoiding threads about HP, but I decided to poke my head in here anyway. hehe I've got my copy reserved, and I'll be waiting in line for the midnight release with you guys. I'll also most likely go to the midnight showing of the movie, I really enjoy these midnight showings, the crowd just always really gets into the movie, and the reactions to certain parts. Otherwise, I typically like to catch an early afternoon matinee with not many people in the theater.

MonteGss
05-25-2007, 06:52 PM
I've only done a midnight attendance for anything once and it was for Revenge of the Sith. I also have my copy reserved but will wait til the morning to buy it. I figure I'll be able to read it twice before going back to work on Monday so why get it at midnight?
I totally understand the excitement factor of a midnight release/showing, it's just not that important to me. :)
Man, I hope Hermoine dies! :o

JK....but she is annoying. :)

Erin
05-25-2007, 09:05 PM
Oh man. Mad-Eye Moody turned Malfoy into a ferret! :lol: :lol: :lol: I absolutely loved that scene.

sarajean
05-27-2007, 07:48 AM
DIES here is a link!! http://www.hecklerspray.com/jk-rowling-dont-ruin-the-bit-where-harry-potter-dies/20068328.php

but...that doesn't actually say anything, does it?

Chassit
05-27-2007, 07:56 AM
Perhaps not...

XIX

sarajean
05-27-2007, 08:54 AM
my predictions for book 7 (not really spoilers, but i'm marking them as such so as not to give anything from previous books away for erin and marty):

* bill and fleur's wedding will be crashed by deatheaters.
* hagrid will possibly die during said crashing, but if not, will surely die before the final battle between harry and ol' what's-his-face.
* snape is revealed to be an enormous git.
* slytherin's locket is currently in the possession of aberforth dumbledore.
* harry dies.

Jean
05-27-2007, 09:09 AM
the last item of sarajean's prophesy seems inevitable to me, too

sarajean
05-27-2007, 09:49 AM
i really don't see how it could be any other way.

Jean
05-27-2007, 11:46 AM
i really don't see how it could be any other way.
Why, the vice is punished, the virtue prevails, the dark forces are defeated, the dead come back from behind that veil, everyone lives happily ever after... and Snape marries Dolores Umbridge... and Nevill marries Luna... and Ron marries Hermione... and Harry...

...oops. Looks like you're right.

On the question of Hagrid whom most people here seem to hate:

He is annoying sometimes, but his role is immensely important: to show how great a teacher Dumbledore was.

You see, Hagrid makes a poor teacher. Teaching is his life's ambition; moreover, he sees it as his life's justification. So Harry and Ron help him as they can, overlooking his inadequacy and covering up his blunders. Even Hermione does, although not as wholeheartedly. And Dumbledore, perfectly aware of all that, indulges this behavior, - hell, encourages it! - and does the same: overlooks and covers up.

Because he, - a really great teacher - knows that helping this live, big, stupid, gold-hearted Hagrid is more important for those particular kids than to master Care of Magical Creatures. He, who as the headmaster of the school could probably find a thousand of different solutions, neglects a subject for the sake of the kids' souls. That's why I like Hagrid - he makes me understand Dumbledoor better.

MonteGss
05-27-2007, 11:49 AM
I think Harry should die but I don't think he will.
Shall we place any bets? :lol:

sarajean
05-27-2007, 11:58 AM
On the question of Hagrid whom most people here seem to hate:

He is annoying sometimes, but his role is immensely important: to show how great a teacher Dumbledore was.

You see, Hagrid makes a poor teacher. Teaching is his life's ambition; moreover, he sees it as his life's justification. So Harry and Ron help him as they can, overlooking his inadequacy and covering up his blunders. Even Hermione does, although not as wholeheartedly. And Dumbledore, perfectly aware of all that, indulges this behavior, - hell, encourages it! - and does the same: overlooks and covers up.

Because he, - a really great teacher - knows that helping this live, big, stupid, gold-hearted Hagrid is more important for those particular kids than to master Care of Magical Creatures. He, who as the headmaster of the school could probably find a thousand of different solutions, neglects a subject for the sake of the kids' souls. That's why I like Hagrid - he makes me understand Dumbledore better.
i'm not disagreeing with you. i see hagrid's character as quite important to the story as a whole...it just fits in with my other theory that darkthoughts mentioned earlier.

here's what i had to say there...i'm quoting myself so that i don't have to type it out again (also, spoilers for order and hbp):

it's basically a theory about who is going to be one of the first of the next to die in book seven:

in alchemy, there are several steps in the process of creating the philosopher's stone. the first of which is black (who died in ootp?) second is white (albus means white, and he was just killed). finally, we come to the next step, which is red.

now, red could be referring to one of the weasleys,or (less obviously) hagrid, whose first name (rubeus) means red. this would lend credence to the supposition that the majority of harry's support group will die before he is finally able to face up to voldemort in the final battle.

(plus, really, i guess i just want hagrid to die. sorry.)

Darkthoughts
05-27-2007, 03:38 PM
I'll say it again, that theory rocks! :thumbsup:
I'm going for Percy biting the dust, not Hagrid. I mean, I get the whole hero/journey tradition in storytelling of killing off the mentor to allow the hero to come of age and progress - but they don't normally kill off the big hairy comedy sidekick...Obi Wan - dead...Chewie? Hell no!! :D

OchrisO
05-27-2007, 03:44 PM
I'm going for Percy biting the dust, not Hagrid. I mean, I get the whole hero/journey tradition in storytelling of killing off the mentor to allow the hero to come of age and progress - but they don't normally kill off the big hairy comedy sidekick...Obi Wan - dead...Chewie? Hell no!! :D

Star Wars spoiler
Well....depends on how many books you have read... :)

Jean
05-28-2007, 12:01 AM

Absolutely. Everything started with Philosopher's stone, and so it will end.

I would beg to notice, though, that there's a drop in explicitness between
Black (an English word known by everyone, even most of those who don't speak English, and, being the last name of that character, used almost every time he is mentioned) and Albus (a Latin word; also the first name, by which Dumbledore is hardly ever called).

If this drop increses proportionally, I wouldn't rule out red pottery clay, also containing a not-very-subtle Biblical reference. I mean, both Percy and Hagrid may be safe after all...

MonteGss
05-28-2007, 03:29 AM
the big hairy comedy sidekick...Obi Wan - dead...

Darkthoughts
05-28-2007, 04:35 AM
:innocent:

Chassit
05-28-2007, 06:24 AM
I really hope Hagrid doesn't die, but sarajeans theory sounds pretty convincing...

Erin
05-28-2007, 12:02 PM
You guys have no idea how much it's killing me not to read the spoilers. :lol: I'm usually the spoiler queen and love to find out anything I can, but I've decided I'm going to be surprised for these books.

I'm almost done with The Goblet of Fire and so far i'm really enjoying it. Not as good as PoA in my opinion, but still great. All the Triwizard Tournament stuff is interesting and I'm really liking the romantic feelings that are beginning to emerge between Ron and Hermione. I like how jealous he was during the ball.

sarajean
05-28-2007, 12:15 PM
You guys have no idea how much it's killing me not to read the spoilers. :lol: I'm usually the spoiler queen and love to find out anything I can, but I've decided I'm going to be surprised for these books.

I'm almost done with The Goblet of Fire and so far i'm really enjoying it. Not as good as PoA in my opinion, but still great. All the Triwizard Tournament stuff is interesting and I'm really liking the romantic feelings that are beginning to emerge between Ron and Hermione. I like how jealous he was during the ball.
that's how i felt about it, too.

Erin
05-28-2007, 12:19 PM
Yea, I couldn't put the Prisoner of Azkaban down. Goblet of Fire is great, but I don't have that overwhelming urge to do nothing but read like I did for the other.

OchrisO
05-28-2007, 12:38 PM
I think GoF is waaay better than PoA. *shrug* I think the books get progressivelyy better up through OotP, then she took a step back with HBP.

sarajean
05-28-2007, 01:03 PM

other than prisoner, half-blood prince is my favourite. erin, listen to me. not your friend.

*i* know what i'm talking about.

OchrisO
05-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Pffft. Erin knows I am wise in the ways of good books. :)

However, I will admit that my opinion of HBP may very well be tainted by the fact that the big suprise of the book was ruined for me before I read it. I still don't think it would stand up to OotP, though. OotP has a big focus on Sirius, and if I were female, and Sirius were real, I'd probably have his babies.

Also, as I recall, sara didn't like Hostel. We both loved Hostel. Stick with me. :)

sarah
05-28-2007, 05:45 PM

other than prisoner, half-blood prince is my favourite. .

i know what you're talking about, too. :couple:

we are one and the same, sarajean...one and the same. :wub:

sarajean
05-29-2007, 08:40 AM
Pffft. Erin knows I am wise in the ways of good books. :)
who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?

i know what you're talking about, too. :couple:

we are one and the same, sarajean...one and the same. :wub: like, for reals, and junk...and stuff.

Darkthoughts
05-29-2007, 12:01 PM
I liked PoA and HBP the most too - I thought they were darker than the other books. What didn't you like about HBP Chris?

sarajean
05-29-2007, 02:12 PM
I liked PoA and HBP the most too - I thought they were darker than the other books. What didn't you like about HBP Chris?

yeah, chris...what was it? huh?

sarah
05-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Hello all. as I'm as nervous as can be about spoilers for this book i thought I'd start its own thread.

This thread will be merged with the official harry potter thread on the 21 or so of July.

Happy chatting of spoilers. I won't be back in this thread until I merge it. :D

sarajean
05-29-2007, 02:28 PM
unlike the last book, i don't have any spoilers for this one.

i wish i did.

:(

OchrisO
05-29-2007, 04:00 PM
Meh. It just didn't engage me as much. It wasn't a bad book by any means. It was just not as good as OotP. I'm considering re-reading it since the new one will be out soon.

I think she should write a book that is completely about Fred and George.

BlakeMP
05-29-2007, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't count on any spoilers before the release. They're keeping this one tighter than a frog's ass.

Or, y'know, something that's particularly tight. I'm sort of tired, and my ability to craft an analogy is at a low ebb.

Ruki
05-29-2007, 08:31 PM
ah damn i thought i was gonna find lots of awesome spoilers floating around in here.

i don't know a damn thing about what will happen in book seven :( july is so far away.

Jimmy
05-29-2007, 08:35 PM
The whole book is Harry eating bagels. Swear to God.

Is it the 7/21 yet?!!! Aaargh!!! ><

Darkthoughts
05-30-2007, 01:51 AM
Hah - totally! "The Weird Wandering's of Weasley's Wizardly Wheezes" :D

Chassit
05-30-2007, 10:15 AM
:lol:

sarajean
05-30-2007, 02:15 PM
as great as that would be...she's said more than once that this is it for her and the hp world. i don't really have a problem with that.

that's why harry needs to die, though. :ninja:

OchrisO
05-30-2007, 02:19 PM
Meh. She'll get hooked on the horse and write some more for money down the road. :P

BlakeMP
05-30-2007, 02:52 PM
She's as rich as the friggin' Queen... I really doubt she'll go back to the well out of desperation.

OchrisO
05-30-2007, 02:59 PM
If she gets hooked on the horse she will. All that money will disappear quickly. :)

Nerak
05-31-2007, 07:13 AM
Good news for Harry Potter fans awaiting release of the boy wizard's next movie. "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," the fifth movie based on the best-selling books, will open in U.S. theaters July 11, two days earlier than expected. :rock:

sarajean
05-31-2007, 07:44 PM
Good news for Harry Potter fans awaiting release of the boy wizard's next movie. "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," the fifth movie based on the best-selling books, will open in U.S. theaters July 11, two days earlier than expected. :rock:

while that is great, and all...i will probably wait to see the movie in the theatre until i've read deathly hallows at least twice.

Erin
05-31-2007, 07:59 PM
I finished up Goblet of Fire yesterday and i'm about 40 or so pages into Order of the Phoenix so far. I really liked how GoF ended with the showdown with Voldemort. I love that he thought it was going to be a piece of cake and Harry gave him more than he bargined for.

So far in OotP, I'm really digging Tonks.

sarajean
05-31-2007, 08:08 PM
everyone loves tonks.

tell me, erin...do you see her as feminine in your head, or kind of butch-y?

OchrisO
05-31-2007, 08:09 PM
I saw her as feminine, but sort fo tom boy-ish myself. Kind of like most of the punk girls I know, though that could be because of the changing hair color alone. haha.

Erin
05-31-2007, 08:14 PM
Hmm, I'm picturing her as more feminine as well. Sort of like a small little fiesty girl. With one of those really cute pixie haircuts. How do you see her Sara?

OchrisO
05-31-2007, 08:16 PM
She pretty much looks exactly like this in my head. I found this image on a hp site. I'm not sure who did it.

http://www.hp-lexicon.org/images/jdolf/tonks240-jd.jpg

Edit: The image is by Jenny Dolfen

sarajean
05-31-2007, 08:37 PM
yeah, that's kind of how i pictured her, too.

(jenny does good work...i've seen her other stuff.)

Erin
05-31-2007, 09:05 PM
I just looked up some of her art, I really like how Sirius looks in this one:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/MidWorldGirl/harrypotter.jpg

OchrisO
05-31-2007, 09:11 PM
I like her piece called "Weasley is Our King" quite a lot, though I don't think you are to that part of the books yet.

I'm seriously about to dig out my copy of OotP now.

sarajean
05-31-2007, 09:15 PM
no, i don't think erin is that far, yet.

oooh, i can't wait til i get back on sunday! she should be on hbp by then!

Erin
05-31-2007, 09:19 PM
Yep I totally should be! Actually i'm getting off of here right now to go read some more. All this Harry Potter talk got me itching to pick it back up.

:nana:

ManOfWesternesse
06-01-2007, 04:42 AM
She pretty much looks exactly like this in my head. I found this image on a hp site. I'm not sure who did it.

http://www.hp-lexicon.org/images/jdolf/tonks240-jd.jpg

Edit: The image is by Jenny Dolfen

Tonks rocks!
That's a very good image - talented.

Jean
06-01-2007, 05:16 AM
yes, yes! That's exactly how I pictured her, too!

Darkthoughts
06-01-2007, 06:20 AM
I picture her as Charlotte Coleman:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c39/towerjunkie19/tonks.jpg
you might know her as Scarlett from Four Weddings and a Funeral.

Nerak
06-01-2007, 09:32 AM
Nah, Harry and Voldemort go out for tea and decide to rule the world together!!

Don't y'all know anything!!! :rofl:

BlakeMP
06-01-2007, 02:20 PM
That's definitely the way Tonks looks in my head. :blush:

Bethany
06-01-2007, 11:28 PM
everyone loves tonks.

tell me, erin...do you see her as feminine in your head, or kind of butch-y?

Speak for yourself. Tonks annoys me.

OchrisO
06-01-2007, 11:39 PM
Get a rope!

Erin
06-02-2007, 06:56 PM
So..I'm about halfway through Order of the Phoenix.

My thoughts so far:

How on Earth could Percy treat his family that way? And slam the door shut in his mother's face? :onfire: F-you Percy. I love the Weasleys.

Speaking of the Weasleys....the scene with Mrs. Weasley facing the boggart and seeing all her kids and husband dead in front of her. Wow. That was a tear-jerker.

Luna...:wub: She's so cool.

OchrisO
06-02-2007, 07:23 PM
I just want sara to know that I have started re-reading HBP so that I can get a fresh perspective on why it pales in comparison to OotP. :)

sarajean
06-03-2007, 07:13 AM
look. don't get me wrong. i like order of the phoenix more each time i read it. it's still not my favourite, though. i think capslock harry had a lot to do with that...and how stupidly he behaves.

sarah
06-03-2007, 07:33 AM
look. don't get me wrong. i like order of the phoenix more each time i read it. it's still not my favourite, though. i think capslock harry had a lot to do with that...and how stupidly he behaves.

exactly! I too like it better each time I read it but it still is my least favorite of the six.

BlakeMP
06-04-2007, 07:33 AM
To quote myself re: Harry's behavior in Order of the Phoenix:

Many fans criticize this volume in the series, saying that Harry is too emotional, even annoying. I’ve read the novel several times now and, while I understand their position, I don’t think it’s a valid one. Harry is 15 years old, an emotional time for anyone. But Harry is under far more stress than any normal teenager. Just weeks before the novel begins, he watched the murder of a fellow student, had his own blood taken from him and used to resurrect the man who murdered his parents, and then encountered their very spirits just before a desperate escape. Since then, he’s been isolated from his friends, his mentor figure (Dumbledore) is obviously avoiding him, and half the people in the Wizarding World refuse to believe him when he says Voldemort has returned. They view him as, at best, a liar, and at worst, barking mad. In fact, one of the few people who does believe him is Luna “Looney” Lovegood, a girl with the reputation of being off in outer space and whose father publishes the Wizarding equivalent to the National Enquirer. What’s worse, Umbridge is using her position as “High Inquisitor” at Hogwarts to further ostracize Harry, giving him frequent and torturous detentions (writing lines with a quill that actually cuts into his flesh), and ultimately banning him from the one joy remaining to him, playing Quidditch. And as the icing on the cake, the girl he’s had a crush on for a year – Cho Chang – is finally returning his affections... but she can’t seem to stop crying over her dead boyfriend, Cedric.

Honestly, I think Harry handles it a lot better than I would have at that age.

Erin
06-04-2007, 07:30 PM
OMG. Order of the Phoenix is getting so much better as it gets towards the end. I LOVED the scene with the Weasley twins leaving Hogwarts. Freaking awesome. I hope they do that scene justice in the movie.

Oh and speaking of the movies..I'm going to DragonCon in Atlanta later this summer and the actors who play George, Fred and Neville will be there for a meet and greet. :nana: I can't wait!

sarajean
06-05-2007, 08:48 AM
:lol: nice.

regarding wormtail's silver replacement hand: (marked as an hbp spoiler for erin and marty)

we know that he owes harry a life debt. sai rowling has already said that said hand will not be used to kill remus, but is it possible that he might have to take out fenrir to save harry's life at some point?

Hannah
06-05-2007, 09:12 AM
I always liked OotP and PoA the best out of all the books. Harry's whiny attitude may have been annoying, but I'd have to agree with Blake's opinion he posted on why Harry was so whiny and why it was normal for his age.

It amazes me how much thought the fans can put into theorizing an ending. I'm so much the "I'll just wait and see" type of person. :lol:

sarajean
06-05-2007, 02:08 PM
It amazes me how much thought the fans can put into theorizing an ending. I'm so much the "I'll just wait and see" type of person. :lol:
look, wifey...you can just shut up right now, m'kay?

BlakeMP
06-05-2007, 02:26 PM
It amazes me how much thought the fans can put into theorizing an ending.

You DID read The Dark Tower, right? :lol:

sarah
06-05-2007, 02:56 PM
I always liked OotP and PoA the best out of all the books. Harry's whiny attitude may have been annoying, but I'd have to agree with Blake's opinion he posted on why Harry was so whiny and why it was normal for his age.

ok normal for a normal teenage boy maybe but before book five, harry was above and beyon a "normal" teenager. You would have expected our hero to be a bit more mature than he was in book five. I'm not saying he should have acted 25 or anything. He was kept in the dark about a lot of stuff but the way he reacted was a bit much for me and eventhough i like book five i don't love it.

OchrisO
06-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Meh. I'd be pretty pissed off any whiney at age 28 if people were wanting me to tell them everything and at the same time keeping everything from me, much moreso as a teenager. And as for the later half of the book, and his final conversation with Dumbledore, I think he reacted exactly as I would.

Matt
06-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Five was the last one I read (I know, I will :lol:) and I agree that Harry was having a little cheese with his whine.

However, I also thought it was really weird that the older folks didn't fill him in straight away. The kid has saved every single one of your asses across four books, I believe he has a right to sit at the adult table.

It missed for me too--which is why I am slow for 6

Darkthoughts
06-06-2007, 01:37 AM
I agree that Harry was having a little cheese with his whine.
:lol: I've never heard that expression before!

However, I also thought it was really weird that the older folks didn't fill him in straight away. The kid has saved every single one of your asses across four books, I believe he has a right to sit at the adult table.
I thought that initially, but didn't it transpire that DD was keeping him in the dark as he knew Voldemort was accessing Harry's thoughts?

Matt
06-06-2007, 05:51 AM
Well that makes sense but they should have told him that from the get go as well.

"Hey Harry, we would bring you in the loop but we are afraid "he who must not be named" is listening in" :D

Hannah
06-06-2007, 06:53 AM
look, wifey...you can just shut up right now, m'kay?

My mouth is shutting. :lol:

I think Harry's whiny attitude stemmed directly from the fact that everyone expected Harry to act like a grown up, but they weren't treating him like one. Plus he was going through puberty. :pirate:

sarah
06-06-2007, 08:38 AM

regarding wormtail's silver replacement hand: (marked as an hbp spoiler for erin and marty)

we know that he owes harry a life debt. sai rowling has already said that said hand will not be used to kill remus, but is it possible that he might have to take out fenrir to save harry's life at some point?

sarajean, this is brilliant. I wouldn't have thunk it but now i can't stop thinking about it. The wheel is my brain is actually moving and i'm sweating just a bit. :lol:

sarajean
06-06-2007, 08:58 AM

sarajean, this is brilliant. I wouldn't have thunk it but now i can't stop thinking about it. The wheel is my brain is actually moving and i'm sweating just a bit. :lol:

i had a feeling you'd like that.

Erin
06-06-2007, 10:59 AM
I finished OoTP yesterday and I'm on HBP.

I think i'm addicted to Harry Potter books. :thumbsup:

sarajean
06-06-2007, 11:08 AM
you're lucky, erin. at least you'll only have, like, a month to wait for the last one.

Jean
06-07-2007, 12:15 AM
Even when I was reading HP for the first time, I felt that something was bothering me, something prevented me to accept the existence of this alternative world side by side with our muggle world as wholeheartedly as I can accept the multiverse created by Mr.King. On the re-read, I finally put my finger on what it was.

I can't imagine a world without arts and literature. And there's nothing like that in the wizards' world. There's no poetry except merely functional, no prose, no fine arts (paintings with moving active characters are hardly the same as what we understand under the art of painting), no theater (let alone cinema, of course).

It could be argued that there was some, but the kids (and the author) were too busy with other things to read books other than necessary for their studies; but whenever a real viable world is described, the cultural motif does creep in anyway, as a quotation, an allusion, a simile, - but not here. These kids don't read books, they have no idea of poetry, they have never been to the theater. How can a culture be entirely deprived of all arts?

On the other hand, it could be argued that the magical world lives off the cultural achievements of the muggle world; alas, that is not so, or wizards would know what people wore, or what electricity was, or how to use subway. The mistake they make are hilarious, true, but they reflect a sad truth: those guys have never been to the movies... nor have they ever read a novel.

Matt
06-07-2007, 06:48 AM
Wow--I never thought of it that way but you are right. There is not much of a nod to the Arts in HP

sai delgado
06-07-2007, 07:34 AM
my favourite characters would have to be snape and sirius, but also uncle vernon-the way he reacts to anything magical happening, especially all of those owls in OotP :lol:
i despise professor umbridge and ive heard that she will be making an appearance in deathly hallows.
my favourite book so far is PoA and OotP

sarah
06-07-2007, 07:45 AM
I finished OoTP yesterday and I'm on HBP.

I think i'm addicted to Harry Potter books. :thumbsup:

yay! you're on the home stretch. just a bit over six weeks left!

I reread the entire series in january this year and I'm dying over here. I just rented the HBP on audio so i can listen to it around the house and car while i wait for the deathly hallows.

BlakeMP
06-07-2007, 09:13 AM
Just because the arts aren't mentioned much doesn't mean there aren't any in the wizarding world. We know that the visual arts are prevalent -- we see paintings and sculptures all the time. We know wizards actually do read books -- Lockhart's volumes were all over the Witch Weekly bestseller list. And we know they have their own popular music -- they reference groups like the Weird Sisters periodically.

If JKR doesn't take time to talk about the kids reading a novel or going to a play, it's not because it's not there, it's because it doesn't matter to the plot.

Jean
06-08-2007, 02:28 AM
1. Just because the arts aren't mentioned much doesn't mean there aren't any in the wizarding world. We know that the visual arts are prevalent -- we see paintings and sculptures all the time. We know wizards actually do read books -- Lockhart's volumes were all over the Witch Weekly bestseller list. And we know they have their own popular music -- they reference groups like the Weird Sisters periodically.

2. If JKR doesn't take time to talk about the kids reading a novel or going to a play, it's not because it's not there, it's because it doesn't matter to the plot.
1. Lockhart's books were not fiction. Paintings and sculptures are merely functional (commemorative). I can, to an extent, agree with the Weird Sisters point, but whether or not pop music is a phenomenon of art is highly arguable.

2. Oh no. A whole world is created, detailed and very vivid. There are lots of events, dialogs, facts, jokes which have nothing to do with the plot but help solidify that world, make it more convincing and more viable. Moreover: don't forget that some percentage of Hogwarts students are recruited from muggle families, with the purpose to take them away from muggle world and make them part of wizard's world. It would seem logical that, if there were any arts in that world, those muggle kids would be taught their history as part of the basics of this new culture they're adopting. It does not happen.

It does not happen; they study nothing but magic.

Now, a rather crazy theory occurred to me.

Supposing it was not the author's oversight? Frankly, I don't believe in oversights of such scale. Supposing it was how she shows us the crucial difference between the worlds, and the meaning of art in our muggle world?

What if our art is only substitute of magic? The opposite could be true, too.

Take painting, for example. We strive our best to breathe life into it. We work with colors and shapes and composition... but wizards don't really need it. Their paintings are already endowed with some quasi-life, so they don't have to work on that quasi-magic of fine arts.

We endeavor to communicate power to our words, and we invent rhymes and meter and tropes... but wizards' words have real power when used in incantations and spells. That's why they don't worry about what we call "magic of words", they know how their real magic works.

In short, it's magic in the metaphorical versus magic in the literal sense of the word. The two can hardly coexist.

ManOfWesternesse
06-08-2007, 03:47 AM
1. Lockhart's books were not fiction.

Beg to differ Jean, Lockhart's books were proven to total works of fiction!:lol:

/Excuse my light treatment of a serious debate.:evil:

Erin
06-08-2007, 07:33 AM
you're lucky, erin. at least you'll only have, like, a month to wait for the last one.

I know! I tend to have a knack for getting into a series once most of the books are already out. I only had to wait for two Dark Tower books and with the Sword of Truth series, I only have to wait for the final book also. Waiting kills me.

Oh also..rhetorical question........is Snape with Voldermort or Dumbledore? :panic: :panic: :panic:

*hey where's the panic smilie? I love that guy.

Jean
06-08-2007, 07:40 AM
Erin: Personally, I still believe Snape is with Dumbledore.

Brian: of course you're right... it's my not being a native speaker: I was trying to express this subtlety in as few words as possible, failed, and just left it as it was hoping nobody would notice.

sarah
06-08-2007, 12:50 PM
new cover art at the Leaky Cauldron

ch-check it out.

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/#article:9966

BlakeMP
06-08-2007, 07:32 PM
Actually, Magic is NOT the only thing they study -- they have a history class (History of Magic, yes, but from the snippets of lessons of Professor Binn's classes that we've heard, it sounds like History of the Wizarding World would be a more accurate title), and they also have Muggle Studies.

Yes, Lockhart's books were (believed to be) nonfiction, but that doesn't mean that there isn't art involved in their composition. Painting and sculpture, similarly, is clearly an art, whether you're painting a real person or creating something whole from your imagination.

There are dozens of great works of fantasy and science fiction that don't really reference the arts of that world. In The Lord of the Rings, all of the writing they encounter is history (as detailed quite extensively in the Silmarillion). Does that mean they didn't have any epic tales of heroes or monsters that weren't true, or just that it didn't matter?

BlakeMP
06-08-2007, 07:34 PM
new cover art at the Leaky Cauldron

ch-check it out.

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/#article:9966

Awesome.

Did anybody else look at that artwork and immediately think, "Norbert?"

sarah
06-08-2007, 07:43 PM
YES!!! That was exactly what I thought. wouldn't it be a kick if it turned out to be true? :lol:

sarajean
06-10-2007, 07:33 AM
don't forget celestina warbeck. (that was her name, right?)

and the books are written from the point of view of one child. one. i know plenty of people who were all consumed with sports at the ages harry is in these books, to the exclusion of everything else. so...it doesn't seem so far-fetched to me that there wouldn't be any mention of these things.

also, as blake mentioned, witch weekly does have a best seller list, so books definitely are being published, right?

erin...i think snape is out for himself, i don't think it matters to him which side he's on, so long as he comes out on top.

Telynn
06-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Wasn't there a mention of some rock group that played at the dance? So it shows some musical side to the world.

OchrisO
06-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Yeah, that was the Weird Sisters that Blake mentions, I think.

Tvmorbid
06-11-2007, 10:38 AM
I am so stupidly excited about the last book I'm embaressed of myself :lol: I've got the book ordered from my local Waterstones (and at half price too!) and I've just finished re-reading HBP. Roll on July 21st!! :excited:

Erin
06-11-2007, 01:02 PM
So I'm about 300 pages into HBP. I'm wondering who the Half-blood prince is. I'm thinking Snape.

Also, last night I rented all the movies and watched the first to get caught up on those before the new one.

Darkthoughts
06-12-2007, 01:37 AM
I've got the book ordered from my local Waterstones
Mines ordered at a Waterstones too :D Are you going to the midnight bash?

Tvmorbid
06-12-2007, 01:43 AM
If my one is open at midnight then hell yes, even if I have to walk the 15 miles to get there :lol:

sarah
06-13-2007, 10:46 AM
So i'm trying to read lisey's story and I just can't focus. So I picked up the half blood prince and just opened it up in the middle and started reading. I LOVE THIS BOOK! Truly any harry potter book can just be picked up and read at at point and it is always a good time, imo.

sarajean
06-13-2007, 10:57 AM
that's why i :wub: you.

warm milk, i believe you said?

sarah
06-13-2007, 11:02 AM
mmmm smmoooth warm milk.

can i have a glass of warm milk?
I'll give you a nice warm glass of shut the hell up!

/happy gilmore

Frunobulax
06-13-2007, 06:35 PM
1. Just because the arts aren't mentioned much doesn't mean there aren't any in the wizarding world. We know that the visual arts are prevalent -- we see paintings and sculptures all the time. We know wizards actually do read books -- Lockhart's volumes were all over the Witch Weekly bestseller list. And we know they have their own popular music -- they reference groups like the Weird Sisters periodically.

2. If JKR doesn't take time to talk about the kids reading a novel or going to a play, it's not because it's not there, it's because it doesn't matter to the plot.
1. Lockhart's books were not fiction. Paintings and sculptures are merely functional (commemorative). I can, to an extent, agree with the Weird Sisters point, but whether or not pop music is a phenomenon of art is highly arguable.

2. Oh no. A whole world is created, detailed and very vivid. There are lots of events, dialogs, facts, jokes which have nothing to do with the plot but help solidify that world, make it more convincing and more viable. Moreover: don't forget that some percentage of Hogwarts students are recruited from muggle families, with the purpose to take them away from muggle world and make them part of wizard's world. It would seem logical that, if there were any arts in that world, those muggle kids would be taught their history as part of the basics of this new culture they're adopting. It does not happen.

It does not happen; they study nothing but magic.

Now, a rather crazy theory occurred to me.

Supposing it was not the author's oversight? Frankly, I don't believe in oversights of such scale. Supposing it was how she shows us the crucial difference between the worlds, and the meaning of art in our muggle world?

What if our art is only substitute of magic? The opposite could be true, too.

Take painting, for example. We strive our best to breathe life into it. We work with colors and shapes and composition... but wizards don't really need it. Their paintings are already endowed with some quasi-life, so they don't have to work on that quasi-magic of fine arts.

We endeavor to communicate power to our words, and we invent rhymes and meter and tropes... but wizards' words have real power when used in incantations and spells. That's why they don't worry about what we call "magic of words", they know how their real magic works.

In short, it's magic in the metaphorical versus magic in the literal sense of the word. The two can hardly coexist.
Jean, that is a very interesting view. The reason why art is not really mentioned seems moot, but could be for your reason or the following:
-It's less of the plot than direct events
-It only serves minor purposes 95% of the time
-Rowling for some reason just uses passing references.
If it were left out intentionally, it could be as a grand finale in the forthcoming book. Or it simply is just as it is in the books, nothing more or less.

Erin
06-13-2007, 06:53 PM
I'm going to finish Half-Blood Prince tonight! :D

Im so excited, it's a fantastic book so far. I purposefully didn't bring it to work with me today though because I know what's coming up in the last pages (someone ruined it for me last year) and I didn't want to start crying in the breakroom. I'll be back later once i'm done.

Frunobulax
06-14-2007, 09:19 AM
OK.
Erm, I cried at the ending of that book....

fernandito
06-14-2007, 09:23 AM
I don't know how much longer I can go until I finally cave in and start reading the HP books....

[whimper]

Frunobulax
06-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Reeeeadddd themmmm.

Seriously, you won't regret it.

sarajean
06-14-2007, 10:58 AM
do it.

<spookyvoice>doooooooooooooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit</spookyvoice>

i didn't cry. that's not how i roll.

'sides. i kinda figured that's what would have to happen and it was very well done. it happened for a reason.

fernandito
06-14-2007, 11:19 AM
I saw this video on this website where a guy who just finished watching the Harry Potter movie [I don't remember which one] drives around the outsides of the theatre and yells out "HEY! [so and so] dies in the movie!!" and then he drives off! you can hear this girl go "NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!" :lol: :lol:

Frunobulax
06-14-2007, 11:20 AM
Where is that? That's gotta be awesome.

fernandito
06-14-2007, 11:22 AM
the website is called thatvideosite.com, but I don't remember the name of the video...try tyipng out harry potter ending spoiler or something [?]

Frunobulax
06-14-2007, 11:26 AM
Just saw it. That's hilarious!

VolsToTheWall
06-14-2007, 11:36 AM
I just watched it myself, pretty damn funny. :lol: Though the camera bobbing made me a little dizzy. :lol:
Here's the link. http://thatvideosite.com/video/54

Frunobulax
06-14-2007, 11:46 AM
It's in LOST Vision.

Telynn
06-15-2007, 09:01 PM
If I remember right, it wasn't the movie. This guy was driving by a bookstore with the HP crowd milling around it the night they first sold the book. I guess he got one earlier and skimmed through it enough to find that out. Then did a 'drive by' of the book store. If it is the same one I remember seeing. Sounds like it because I remember the girl yelling "Nooooooo!!"

Darkthoughts
06-16-2007, 07:48 AM
You can take your 3rd WOMBAT at JKR's official site now - not sure how you get to it, the "how to" is posted at Mugglenet though. (The WOMBAT card on her desk just allows you to submit your results).

fernandito
06-16-2007, 08:24 AM
If I remember right, it wasn't the movie. This guy was driving by a bookstore with the HP crowd milling around it the night they first sold the book. I guess he got one earlier and skimmed through it enough to find that out. Then did a 'drive by' of the book store. If it is the same one I remember seeing. Sounds like it because I remember the girl yelling "Nooooooo!!"

Yeah, I think you're right Tel, it is a bookstore. Shits still funny though : "Nooooo!! you bitch!!!!!!!!" :lol:

Erin
06-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Well, i've finished HBP. I absolutely loved it. I was hooked while reading it, just like with PoA. I'm so glad I read the series (thanks SJ!) and now I can't wait until 12:01, July 21st! :nana:

sarajean
06-17-2007, 07:44 AM
ha! in chris's face!

(i told you those were the best two.)

OchrisO
06-17-2007, 01:27 PM
I totally thought erin had better taste than that. I have misjudged her all these years. hahaha. :P

sarajean
06-17-2007, 01:29 PM
blahblahblah

to date, i have not steered her wrong.

OchrisO
06-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Hah. Nor have I.

Maybe it is just my mancrush on Sirius Black that clouds my judgement on book 6.

sarajean
06-18-2007, 02:03 PM
well, there you go, then.

OchrisO
06-18-2007, 04:17 PM
I really know how to bring a thread to a screeching halt. :)

sarajean
06-18-2007, 05:09 PM
threadkilla.

Matt
06-19-2007, 10:37 AM
I promised my daughter that I would read the 6th before I ever touched her copy of #7 (when it comes out). :lol:

sarajean
06-19-2007, 10:40 AM
um, yeah. don't be like cicero, who fronts that he's a fan when he hasn't ever read the first three.

also, i posted this elsewhere:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/HarleyQuinn19/17E0.jpg

perhaps not norbert? from fantastic beasts and where to find them:

Antipodean Opaleye
[...]
Perhaps the most beatiful type of dragon, it has iridescent, pearly scales and glittering, multi-coloured, pupil-less eyes, hence its name.

(thanks to erinp for the deluxe edition cover art!)

Matt
06-19-2007, 10:45 AM

I am totally old school on the fanboydom :lol:

Erin
06-19-2007, 01:38 PM
I haven't been a big fan of the art from the books, but I really really like that dragon picture. Especially the scenery in the background.

VolsToTheWall
06-19-2007, 01:44 PM
Yeah, that deluxe edition artwork is very cool.

sarajean
06-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Yeah, that deluxe edition artwork is very cool.

yeah. *sigh* why must i be so cheap/poor. oh yeah. it's the three kids.

someday. all i really care about is what's inside. and there's only a month and 2 days left!

BlakeMP
07-02-2007, 08:21 AM
With just weeks to go until the release of the final Harry Potter book, I wanted to share this with you guys -- something I've been working on for some time now. Here are my thoughts -- call them predictions, gut feelings, whatever -- on who might live and who might die in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, and why. And be warned, spoilers for all six books abound.

Who will die in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (http://taic.livejournal.com/98187.html)

fernandito
07-02-2007, 09:20 AM
I was told that the HP movies are translated from the books almost to the hilt , except for some [minor] changes...can anyone confirm or deny this?

Matt
07-02-2007, 09:31 AM
So far, pretty much. Obviously they had to ditch some of the bit players but I would say overall its about as close to the book as a movie can get.

fernandito
07-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Thank you sir. :)

Erin
07-02-2007, 10:29 AM
The movies are only OK in my opinion. I really don't like how Ron's character is protrayed very much, but then I really like Alan Rickman as Snape.

The first two movies are pretty close to the books and the thrid deviates a bit and there were a lot of changes in the 4th movie. But I can understand why some of those were made.

Bottom line of this rambling post....the books are 100x better.

sarajean
07-02-2007, 10:34 AM
i disagree, matt. there are some pretty glaring changes and omissions with the movies. some of the characters that were left out were not bit players, and if they're introduced this late in the game, their appearances may not make a whole lot of sense to people who haven't read the books.

Matt
07-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Sure, that was mostly my personal opinion and I have actually only read the first 5 once. I may not be the best authority on what is and what isn't.

Like so many other things. :lol:

Erin
07-02-2007, 10:40 AM
Yep, what Sara said. She always articulates things I'm attempting to say way better. :wub:

I just really hope this movie is far better than Goblet of Fire. I was really let down when I saw it.

sarajean
07-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Sure, that was mostly my personal opinion and I have actually only read the first 5 once. I may not be the best authority on what is and what isn't.

Like so many other things. :lol:i know that's the case in your situation, matt. i wasn't necessarily trying to call you out, i was just attempting to let fp know that i had a dissenting opinion.

Yep, what Sara said. She always articulates things I'm attempting to say way better. :wub:

I just really hope this movie is far better than Goblet of Fire. I was really let down when I saw it.
awww. you flatter me. i'm thinking order may be the one i like the best. what i've seen so far has kept all of the stuff i liked and left out the things i didn't. i may have a differing opinion, though, once i've actually seen it.

fernandito
07-02-2007, 11:14 AM

This will always be the case, for any book to movie adaptation, for 2 main reasons:

1. There are no kind of 'restraints' while reading a book: budget, film length etc.

and

2. Nothing is as good as your imagination :)

Matt
07-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Oh, I know you weren't calling me out SJ. I was doing the same, simply acknowledging that I may not know what the hell I am talking about. :D

Erin
07-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Yep you're right. But you know, not to get really off topic, but I think Fight Club is the one movie that was just as good as the book to me. I was surprised, that doesn't happen too often.

Matt
07-02-2007, 11:27 AM
The Green Mile was for me. Shawshank even better than the short story it orginates from

Mordred Deschain
07-02-2007, 05:22 PM
I was told that the HP movies are translated from the books almost to the hilt , except for some [minor] changes...can anyone confirm or deny this?

Dude, your are missin out. The movies have so much of the story cut out of them. There's some key things that happen in Goblit of Fire (the book) that they didn't even touch on in the movie. Same with Prisoner of Ascaban. Actually since the start, and I think it's going to mess up the ending.

I like watchen the movies while....:cool:

:doh:

Jean
07-02-2007, 10:45 PM
Shawshank even better than the short story it orginates from

I agree that Shawshank was the only decent King movie adaptation... but better??? http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_unsure.gif

Brice
07-03-2007, 03:43 AM
For me the HP films were only ok. I watched the first two and am in no great rush to see more. The books however are great :D

This will always be the case, for any book to movie adaptation, for 2 main reasons:

1. There are no kind of 'restraints' while reading a book: budget, film length etc.

and

2. Nothing is as good as your imagination :)

I agree with the second statement wholeheartedly and the larger statement of book to movie adaptions about 99% of the time. There are rare exceptions. I thought both Green Mile and Shawshank were great films (however slightly less than the books). The only adaption of a film that comes to mind that seemed to me to be pretty much exactly as the book is Rosemary's Baby.

Matt
07-03-2007, 08:43 AM
Shawshank even better than the short story it orginates from

I agree that Shawshank was the only decent King movie adaptation... but better??? http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_unsure.gif

I think so but I am a freak. :lol:

Darkthoughts
07-04-2007, 04:24 AM
I love Shawshank, but imo Stand By Me is the best adaptation.

I watch all the HP films but really only enjoyed PoA so far. Not because it was an accurate adaptation, but because Cuaron got a better performance out of Radcliffe, Grint and Watson than the other directors. I still find their acting pretty appaling though.

I must read Fight Club - I enjoyed the film despite thinking I wouldn't.

sarajean
07-08-2007, 09:39 AM
"Finishing the book is a relief. I can't think of anyone who could know how I felt. Actually finishing it was the most remarkable feeling I've ever had... [I felt] euphoria, devastated, when I finished one chapter near the end I absolutely howled, it had been planned for so long.

I was in a hotel room on my own, sobbing my heart out. I downed half a bottle of champagne in one and went home with mascara all over my face. It was really tough."

Tvmorbid
07-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Only 13 days to go!!!! :D:D

sarah
07-09-2007, 06:51 AM
check out this post for some stephen king words on the last harry potter

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=21167&postcount=8

ManOfWesternesse
07-09-2007, 06:59 AM
check out this post for some stephen king words on the last harry potter

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=21167&postcount=8

Thanks Maer, that was a great link.
Gotta agree with pretty much everything the man said!

Matt
07-12-2007, 06:14 PM

Snape in charge of defense against the dark arts?!?!?

Malfroy up to "scare your mother" no good--and stomping Harry's nose on the train to Hogwarts?!!!!!!

**puff--gasp**

:thumbsup:

great book you guys, thanks for the force able reawakening

sarajean
07-13-2007, 03:43 PM
i TOLD you!!!

sarajean
07-13-2007, 05:11 PM
oh, and i started half-blood prince again last night. getting all geared up for next week.

/me is totally geeking out.

sarah
07-13-2007, 05:36 PM
oh i'm so geeking out with you.

sarajean
07-13-2007, 05:50 PM

i know. you've got the text messages from my husband asking you to discourage my behaviour to prove it.

Darkthoughts
07-14-2007, 09:43 AM
I'm geeking out too...making costumes for me and my son for the midnight launch...wait...is that too geeky? :lol:

sarajean
07-15-2007, 07:36 AM
most definitely not!

drake went out last night wearing a cape and brandishing a wand. :lol:

Darkthoughts
07-15-2007, 07:41 AM
Fantastic!!

I need to get Sam and I a lift to the book launch as I don't drive and Rob will be in looking after the little 'uns - but everyones pretending to be too busy to take me...obviously afraid of getting in touch with their inner geeks :D

sarajean
07-15-2007, 08:56 AM
*cough cough* (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=593)

Frunobulax
07-15-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm not going to any midnite things--I'm just heading off to Costco to buy my copy the day it comes out.

sarajean
07-15-2007, 10:01 AM
i will probably have finished it by the time you're getting it then.

of course, darkthoughts will have hers 8 hours before i have mine, so she may be finished before i get mine, as well.

but you're in my time zone.

Erin
07-15-2007, 08:47 PM
I'm geeking out too...making costumes for me and my son for the midnight launch...wait...is that too geeky? :lol:

Count me in on the geeking out! My friends and I are all getting together Wednesday with a sewing machine to put the finishing touches on our costumes. Oh and one of my friends is whittling us wands. :thumbsup:

Darkthoughts
07-16-2007, 01:42 AM
:huglove: I love you guys!!

I won't read DH until Sunday daytime - if I didn't have any kids I'd definately read it at the midnight launch as our bookshop has a coffee shop that stayed open last time (HBP) so you could do just that. They served hot chocolate and Hedwig cookies, it was awesome!

SJ I filled out the prediction thing...both halves...went to post it and DELETED THE WHOLE THING!!! Perhaps it was ka...perhaps my predictions were so spot on it would've been a major spoiler! Perhaps I am talking crap :P

Jean
07-16-2007, 02:07 AM
I'm not going to any midnite things--I'm just heading off to Costco to buy my copy the day it comes out.

i will probably have finished it by the time you're getting it then.

I won't read DH until Sunday daytime - if I didn't have any kids I'd definately read it at the midnight launch as our bookshop has a coffee shop that stayed open last time (HBP) so you could do just that. They served hot chocolate and Hedwig cookies, it was awesome!

... and I will just have to go kill myself or die of envy...

Darkthoughts
07-16-2007, 02:09 AM
:lol: poor Jean, I can mail you a hedwig cookie if you like :huglove:

Jean
07-16-2007, 03:40 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_sad.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gif

Hannah
07-16-2007, 08:12 AM
When does the book come out again? Someone throw me a date so I don't miss it.

sarajean
07-16-2007, 08:56 AM
This Friday At Midnight!!!

Hannah
07-16-2007, 08:59 AM
Thank you! :wub:

I have something to look forward to this weekend besides washing my car and doing homework! (In fact, due to the release I probably won't be doing either of those things...)