PDA

View Full Version : The Stand---mini series

ATG
05-10-2008, 10:38 PM
I've been bugging my wife to read The Stand, trying to introduce her to Kings finest work ( in my opinion ).

I finally resigned the job. But....I had to help her experience it.
So I bought the DVD of the 1994 television mini series.

I enjoyed it ( again ). Sure, it's a little dated and campy, but m-o-o-n that spells true love. It was good to see Nick, Stu, Tom Cullen and all the others in the flesh, so to speak.

What did you think?

Sorry if this has been covered before.

Ricky
05-13-2008, 02:45 PM
I've decided that I am not going to watch the mini series because I'm afraid that it will ruin my own mental picture of how I pictured the characters, scenery, etc.

Girlystevedave
05-13-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm reading The Stand for the first time right now. I do remember watching the mini series when it came on tv, but luckily all I really remember is Gary Sinise (and I can live with that)...Anyway, I'm looking forward to being able to watch it again after I finish the book.

aurora
05-13-2008, 02:54 PM
I saw it, and thought it was so-so. I wish it would have been 100% loayl to the book but alas welcome to Hollywierd.

mia/susannah
05-13-2008, 03:11 PM
The Stand was a very good movie. But any movie will not compare to the book.

jayson
05-13-2008, 03:25 PM
I think it was the perfect example of why unknowns should be cast in any kinf of DT movie. I thought it was horrible. It had no impact on how I feel about the book, which I still love as my fav non-DT King.

Míchéal
05-13-2008, 04:23 PM
I thought it was entertaining...not fantastic but good

Mattrick
05-13-2008, 09:03 PM
For a low budget, made for TV mini-series it was pretty damn good. It's not very often you get the likes of Gary Sinese and Rob Lowe to do a made for TV mini series...especially in 1995.

I thought it was pretty good and while parts were omitted, they did a good job brining it all together. I've seen it a few times now and always enjoy watching it.

Erin
05-13-2008, 10:24 PM
I really like the mini-series as well. Sure it's a bit cheesy in parts and no where near as good as the book, but I enjoyed it.

I especially love the opening scene of the dead people in the military complex while "Don't Fear the Reaper" is playing.

blackrose22
05-14-2008, 02:46 AM
It's been a while since I seen it but I loved it at the time. Must look for it on DVD and watch it again.

CPU
05-14-2008, 04:11 AM
I liked it when I watched it on TV when it originally aired, and my wife and I have watched it on DVD many times.

iscream22
05-14-2008, 04:52 AM
I would strongly suggest reading the novel first. It is my favorite Stephen King book and it is also my favorite book of all time as well!

I enjoyed the miniseries, it wasn't outstanding but it was good. Its a great companion piece to the novel. And even if you havent read the novel you should watch it if you can get it easily enough. I saw the movie first and then read the book and i enjoyed the book so much because the movie still has many many scenes that are missing like with Poke stealing money and the kid, and many Flagg scenes are missing etc.

ANyways enjoy the stand, i obsess about the stand as much as i do about the Dark Tower series.

Heather19
05-14-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm reading The Stand for the first time right now. I do remember watching the mini series when it came on tv, but luckily all I really remember is Gary Sinise (and I can live with that)...Anyway, I'm looking forward to being able to watch it again after I finish the book.

You're lucky. I had seen the miniseries ages ago, and while I don't remember much of what happened in it, I do remember who was cast as the main characters. When I went to read the book recently all I could picture was those actors in my head, which is not at all who I wanted to see, and that kinda ruined it for me. So I'm going to hold out on watching it again until I finish reading the book.

Jon
05-15-2008, 11:11 AM
It could have been better. Not as good as the book. I wanted them to do the unabridged ending. But I was soo happy too see my favorite book of all time made into a movie.

LadyHitchhiker
05-31-2008, 09:57 AM
I loved it... :D

The Lady of Shadows
06-01-2008, 08:18 PM
hated it, hated it, hated it, hated it, hated it, hated it, hated it.

corin nemec? laura san giacomo? jamey sheridan? gary sinise? rob lowe? molly freakin ringwald?
give me a break. the only casting i really agreed with was miguel ferrer and matt frewer.

i try desperately to put it out of my mind whenever i read the book because i absolutely don't want to see gary sinise as stuart redman or molly freakin ringwald as frannie goldsmith. puleez.

oh, did i mention that i hated it? :)

Ves'Ka Gan
06-01-2008, 09:12 PM
There should be a third option "Loved it--but couldn't make it through it".

I always try really hard to watch it when they play it on Sci-Fi, but they play the whole freaking thing at once! I just can't sit through eight hours of ANYTHING on TV.

AIMB
06-01-2008, 10:37 PM
I loved it b/c it was a movie of my favorite book.

There should be an answer that says "Couldn't resist watching it, but regret it b/c of course it wasn't as good as the book and made the book look cheesy"
:)

Heather19
06-02-2008, 04:52 PM
hated it, hated it, hated it, hated it, hated it, hated it, hated it.

corin nemec? laura san giacomo? jamey sheridan? gary sinise? rob lowe? molly freakin ringwald?
give me a break. the only casting i really agreed with was miguel ferrer and matt frewer.

i try desperately to put it out of my mind whenever i read the book because i absolutely don't want to see gary sinise as stuart redman or molly freakin ringwald as frannie goldsmith. puleez.

oh, did i mention that i hated it? :)

I completely agree. That's why I can't read The Stand. I need to get them out of my head before I can attempt to read the story again. All I could picture while I was reading the book was Mollly Ringwald and Gary Sinise. I really wish I had read the book before I saw the movie.

ATG
06-02-2008, 05:04 PM
M-o-o-n, that spells
Seeing Tom and Nick " in the flesh made me weep..

The Lady of Shadows
06-03-2008, 01:35 PM
M-o-o-n, that spells
Seeing Tom and Nick " in the flesh made me weep..

:rofl:

ayoung323
06-10-2008, 12:58 PM
I thought it was all right, it was much better than I expected it to be.

Candice Dionysus
02-26-2009, 08:03 AM
I loved it so much that I bought the VHS' when I saw them at The Hock Shop. (Gee, can you tell I'm Canadian? They don't have The Hock Shop in the states. XD)

Merlin1958
02-26-2009, 08:16 AM
It was "OK" for TV but I wish they would have added a scene early on where Larry Underwood beat Laura San Giacomo with a baseball bat until she was dead, dead dead!!!!

You may think that cruel but watch it again and try to envision enjoying it without retching every time she's on camera!!!

She shoulda became a Mob wife and left it at that!!!

You all may get the sneaking suspicion that I don't particularly care for her acting. And you would be correct! LOL

:wtf:

Django
02-26-2009, 08:39 AM
I completely agree. That's why I can't read The Stand. I need to get them out of my head before I can attempt to read the story again. All I could picture while I was reading the book was Mollly Ringwald and Gary Sinise. I really wish I had read the book before I saw the movie.

I loved it back then, I was still a kid. But then I made the big mistake of watching it again recently, before I even read the book. Now I'll have to forget it all again before I read it. Damn.

Aaron
02-26-2009, 11:36 AM
For a low budget, made for TV mini-series it was pretty damn good. It's not very often you get the likes of Gary Sinese and Rob Lowe to do a made for TV mini series...especially in 1995.

I thought it was pretty good and while parts were omitted, they did a good job brining it all together. I've seen it a few times now and always enjoy watching it.

The Stand was actually Gary Sinise's breakout lead role, so he probably didnt cost much. He had done some stuff before, but nothing that anyone really watched. It got his face out there and led really well into Forrest Gump, which came out a couple of months later.

flaggwalkstheline
02-26-2009, 12:56 PM
I think it was good, but it hasnt aged well, it just screams early 90s pre CGI budget special effects

Myste
10-06-2009, 10:21 AM
It was good... I liked it. Have seen it few times. Of course it's nothing compared to the book BUT I have seen far more worse SK adaptions than this.

Jon
10-07-2009, 12:40 PM
FWTL has a good point. It does not age well. I still get psyched when I see it though.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-07-2009, 05:26 PM
There needs to be a catagory somewhere between "Loved it" and "couldnt make it through". Though I didnt "love it", due to some glaring omissions and some casting problems, I didn't hate it. And as it has been with so many SK movies, I liked it simply because I loved the book so much and I enjoyed stepping into that world again and seeing the story from someone else's point of view.

mdarkpoet
12-11-2009, 01:09 AM
I loved it :thumbsup: *hums Don't Fear The Reaper*

ICry4Oy
12-11-2009, 09:35 AM
For me, Rob Lowe was the best surprise of The Stand miniseries. When I first heard he would be in it I laughed. When I saw him in it he amazed me at how much I loved him. I thought he nailed it.