PDA

View Full Version : Reading or Listening--what's better?

Matt
05-16-2007, 02:49 PM
I have a huge commute everyday so most of my reading time is listening to books on CD.

I am not sure what is better because there are so many advantages to both.

Personally, I love to listen to books because it does not allow me to cheat. I have to listen to every word and it makes it so I can't skip things like scene description (which I am usually remiss on)

Not to mention, they pronounce the name for me. :nana:

That being said, there is nothing that compares to those moments of my youth where I sat and read books for hours on end.

I was a sheltered and lonely child. :lol:

So what do you guys think?

MonteGss
05-16-2007, 02:55 PM
I have recently begun listening to the DT series. I've only listened to one other book before that. Both of those books I had read before so I already knew the story. I like them both. I guess I prefer reading.
I wonder if my opinion would be the same if I listened to a new book instead of reading it first.

Randall Flagg
05-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Should the poll options be:
Reading
Listening
Apples and oranges

The question was What's Better?

Bethany
05-16-2007, 03:28 PM
I have a hard time processing verbal information at times so audio books and I are not the best of friends. I have found that once I have read a book I am able to listen and understand what is going on. So far the only books I've listened to have been written and read by Lewis Grizzard.

Patrick
05-16-2007, 03:49 PM
Should the poll options be:
Reading
Listening
Apples and oranges

The question was What's Better?

Also, there should be a "different but equal" option, Matt. :thumbsup: That'd get my vote.

Patrick
05-16-2007, 03:58 PM
I am a member of audible.com and have moved away from cassettes and CDs. I download to my computer and iPod. I listen to a lot of audiobooks - it's a great way to pass the time during my commute. I also listen to audiobooks, rather than music, when I go running.

To state the obvious (to audiobook fans anyway), the audiobook experience depends on the book and reader combination. If a book is bad, it sucks whether you are looking at the page or listening to a voice. Also, just because someone is a good or great narrator, that doesn't mean they are perfect for every book - especially if it written in the first person.

Here are some of my impressions of a few books I've loved on audio..

I've got Lonesome Dove as read by Lee Horsley. I think he does a great job.

The actor Matt Dillon does an outstanding job reading On The Road by Jack Kerouac.

David Aaron Baker is the perfect reader for Koontz's Odd Thomas books. I can't, and don't want to, imagine anyone else reading them.

Ron Silver is great on Philip Roth's American Pastoral.

Bernadette Dunn is completely believable on Memoirs of a Geisha.

I'm convinced Paul Garcia really is Tender Branson in Chuck Palahniuk's Survivor.

Jeff Woodman reading Life of Pi is the boy.

George Guidall is a master, including performances on many of the Dark Tower books.

I could go on, but I won't. I would recommend checking out http://www.audible.com (http://www.audible.com)where you can read reviews of both the narrators and the books, and hear free soundbites.

For more in-depth discussion, I highly recommend http://www.audiofilemagazine.com/. This site, and the corresponding magazine they produce, is the most comprehensive place I've found to check out the audiobook industry.

Hannah
05-16-2007, 03:59 PM
poll edited.

I voted reading. I am easily distracted, so audio books are a no-no. (although it would be nice to download something to my ipod to listen to while at work, while pretending to work.)

Patrick
05-16-2007, 04:05 PM
Thanks for editing that, Hannah. :)

Audiobooks can take a little getting used to, but then you find you can get lost in 'em just as well as with the book in front of you. If you have a great book with the appropriate narrator, the experience is equal to or even surpasses having the written word in front of you. I've spent time aimlessly driving around near my destination because I wasn't ready to "put the book down." Likewise, I have sat in my car both in my driveway or in the parking lot at work for the same reason.

Personally, like Matt mentioned in his post above, I find that in some ways, audiobooks are more disciplined in that they ensure that I hear every word in a measured pace, as opposed to the times I read really fast and might not appreciate everything. They take longer to listen to than I would take reading the book myself, and quite honestly I consider that a compliment to the author that I am taking my time with his/her work, because God knows they spent a lot more writing it.

Just one listener's thoughts.

Matt
05-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Sorry the poll was a fuck up, I was under pressure at work when I made it. :lol:

sarah
05-16-2007, 04:39 PM
different but equal. I first like to read a book then on a re-read, i'll listen to it. Right now I'm listening to the wastelands and I love to hear Eddie's brooklyn accent. It's cracks me up much more than my own brooklyn voice in my head.

anyhoo...first comes the book then the audio, imo

Hannah
05-16-2007, 05:36 PM
I'm going to have to try some audiobooks out after reading your endorsement, Patrick. I do have a pretty decently long drive to work (about 25-30 minutes) so I could get some serious "reading" done while driving to/from work.

sarah
05-16-2007, 07:00 PM
oh my gosh, hannah you just totally gotta. check some out from your library so you can get started right away.

keep us posted

ManOfWesternesse
05-17-2007, 06:31 AM
Well, I voted 'Reading', but now I gotta confess...
I've never listened to an Audiobook! - I'm a total luddite.

Matt
05-17-2007, 06:34 AM
:o

Its really quite fun for me but that's just because of that huge commute I have. If not for them, I would never have a chance to "read".

Brice
05-17-2007, 07:09 AM
I prefer reading a book. I usually am reading several at the same time. Until a couple years ago I'd never listened to an uadiobook. Now, I've read a few and enjoyed them alot but, I think I'll always be partial to reading. I do like the few instances of SK reading his own stuff though. It's like he's sitting in the room telling you the story himself. :D

And I doubt I'd want to listen to one without having read the book first personally.

John Blaze
05-17-2007, 12:14 PM
I have a hard time processing verbal information at times so audio books and I are not the best of friends.

this seems to be me too. i voted reading, matt.

OchrisO
05-17-2007, 05:55 PM
I really enjoy some stuff in audio book format, but other stuff, sot so much. I greatly enjoy the audio versions of George R. R. Martin's books, and I tried several times to read some of the Shannara books by Terry Brookes unsuccessfuly, but I love them in audio format. I tried listening to The Dragonlance Chronicles in audio format, and couldn't stand it.

What I tend to do is read a book when I am home, and listen to an audio book while I am out on campus, at work, or driving.

VolsToTheWall
05-17-2007, 07:51 PM
I voted for reading, but I've never actually listened to an audio book. I can also sometimes be easily distracted and have wandering thoughts, so that would be a problem. I would like to give audio books a try sometime. I can understand those of you with a long commute enjoying them, but I don't fall into that category, and usually when I'm on a long drive, I'm travelling with company, and usually with someone who wouldn't be interested in listening to an audio book.

MonteGss
05-18-2007, 03:35 AM
Long drives to work suck. Roland and the ka-tet make mine better. :)

Ruki
05-18-2007, 05:04 AM
i had to vote different but equal. listening to a story is a completely different experience from reading one, i love being able to do both. i usually try to listen to the audiobook as soon as i've finished reading a book, helps me catch all the little things i missed without having to spend extra time sitting still.

there's a cool interview with stephen king that talks about the advantages of audiobooks at the end of the audio version of bag of bones. :)

and the best audiobook i've ever listened to is hearts in atlantis read by william hurt and stephen king. it's really amazing, the way they read it makes the story even better than it was to start with.

Matt
05-18-2007, 09:12 AM
I felt the same way about Frank Muller when he was reading books for SK

tamez
05-18-2007, 11:23 AM
:o

Its really quite fun for me but that's just because of that huge commute I have. If not for them, I would never have a chance to "read".

yep this is me
besides that, i'm dyslexic...
i don't let it stop me from reading
but, if i do that it takes me FOREVER to finish a book
which i don't mind but... i don't have that much time.
also, if you're listening to the book at home it frees
up your hands and eyes to do other things...
like... um, smoke and clean.
i listen to books on the way to work, on the walk with my dogs
going to sleep, washing dishes...
it makes everything more fun

also, if you say you have trouble processing
verbal information or you can't quite concentrate
well enough to get the story...
i've found that they are a very good exercize for
improving your concentration.
sure, i'll drift off and think about something else
but, i really want to know what's going on
so i force myself ...
it's great.

and listening to Stephen King read his own stories?
nothing beats that NOTHING

Rjeso
05-18-2007, 11:34 AM
I gotta say, I've only listened to one audio book in my lifetime. I much prefer reading - I can go at my pace (faster than the audiobook readers go, sometimes their pace drives me up the wall), and it's much easier to go back and reread a passage again if I so desire. I like having a book in my hands, I like the smell of the ink, the crinkle of the glue as I open the book, etc. It's something that can't be replaced for me.

Matt
05-18-2007, 11:42 AM
Oh yeah, nothing can ever replace that.

Audio books are like getting a really good burger to go but they will never be a t-bone.

But it does fill you up :lol:

tamez
05-18-2007, 11:52 AM
I like having a book in my hands, I like the smell of the ink, the crinkle of the glue as I open the book, etc. It's something that can't be replaced for me.

I treasure books for their own value as well
but, i love having a nice new clean book
to look at that i haven't ruined by reading... :rock:
edit: no even that reading it "ruins" it.. i just like the book
to be pristine :D

cozener
04-28-2008, 07:25 PM
Like tamez, I'm dyslexic and reading does go a little slower for me than it does other people. But I do like both.

I do love listening to books. My problem with it is that it pretty much has to be on a long drive. If it isn't my homelife distracts me. Its much easier to have the book on hand so I can snatch it up when I have the time. If I try to listen to them in bed they put me to sleep because the people they use to read the books almost always have soft silken voices that will put me under.

But often I'll retain more of a book I listen to than one that I've read. As mentioned above, I hear names the way they're supposed to be pronounced. Even better, if its the author reading the book, then I can rest assured that every word is being said in the same way he had it in his head when he wrote it.

For a while, probably from about 20 to 36, I didn't read at all and audiobooks where how I "took in a book". And this was how I was first exposed to Gunslinger and Drawing of the Three. I sometimes wonder if I would have been so drawn in if it wasn't for the fact that I listened to these books instead of read them.

Wuducynn
04-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Matthew understands.

NeedfulKings
04-28-2008, 08:31 PM
I haphazzardly said Reading, as I've never gotten through a single audio book. I did try once, during a commute and I got sleepy (much as I do when I read, lol!). You guys strike an awesome argument for audio, though!!!

I like to read, because I can re-read certain passages that strike me, or if I get confused, I can go back easily. Also, I love to "set the scene" to read, i.e. quiet house, comfy chair, etc. so books do it for me.

I want to experience the DT books through Audio next. Having read them, I think it would be awesome!!!

I don't have a long commute (10-12 minutes).

:)

Daghain
04-28-2008, 09:12 PM
I said apples and oranges. I have read the DT series, then started listening to the audiobooks, and I'll say when I did my drive from Colorado to Michigan, DT7 sure helped to pass the time. I think it's harder to listen to a new book while driving or doing another task that requires part of your attention - you can't give full attention to the book.

To that end, I absolutely cannot listen to an audiobook at work. Far too many distractions. :lol:

I've also listened to a book or two I haven't read first. I don't like it as much - I can't say why, but it's kind of along the same lines as books and movies for me - I prefer to read the book first before dealing with it in any alternate forms. I only seem to truly enjoy an audiobook when I've read it first.

MonteGss
04-29-2008, 07:47 AM
For the first time, I am listening to a book that I haven't read previously. So far, I don't like it all that much. I'm only an hour or so in though so hopefully my feeling will change. I LOVE listening to a book I've already read before, my memory/comprehension/enjoyment of the book increases! :)

Storyslinger
04-29-2008, 07:49 AM
I like listening to books, but nothing will ever top reading a book for myself.

Wuducynn
04-29-2008, 08:04 AM
I chose 'Different but equal' for myself. I love them both equally, just in different ways. I especially love listening to the Dark Tower saga more than any other books (of course).

Storyslinger
04-29-2008, 08:07 AM
I chose 'Different but equal' for myself. I love them both equally, just in different ways. I especially love listening to the Dark Tower saga more than any other books (of course).

When it come to the Dark Tower saga, I have to agree with this statement.

jayson
04-29-2008, 08:32 AM
i chose diff but equal. i agree with monte & matthew that audio is great for re-reads [particularly DT] but i have also done a lot of first reads on audio. i suffer from chronic migraine headaches so sometimes i cannot physically read a book with my eyes, but i can still listen to one via audio. it took some getting used to, but i find that new material works just as well as known material for me with audio. it all depends on who does the reading and how good of a job they do with it to make it engaging.

Matt
04-29-2008, 08:46 AM
I voted that they were totally different. I listened to Duma Key for the first time and loved it.

I'll always love paper books but audio books allow a different level of interaction to me. Not better or worse, just different.

One of the main advantages for me because I have a relatively short commute now is that it forces me to not "gobble" the thing. I get out of the car after 25 minutes and actually think about what I have heard.

I tend to be one of those people that just drives to the end so I can see what happened. Audio format doesn't allow that.

Wuducynn
04-29-2008, 09:04 AM
I tend to be one of those people that just drives to the end so I can see what happened.

Ah. This explains a few things.

Matt
04-29-2008, 09:10 AM
;)

You got it man.

And its funny because I do not feel the need to "re read" as much as I did before.

cozener
04-29-2008, 01:11 PM
I tend to be one of those people that just drives to the end so I can see what happened. Audio format doesn't allow that. But its quite the contrary. You can "drive" around your neighborhood all night until the audio book is over. Of course, people might think that you're looking to offer candy to their children or that you're casing their houses for future burglaries but whats a raised eyebrow or two in pursuit of great literature? :cyclops:

Actually, there's something else I like about audio. I've always enjoyed being told stories...especially by folks that do it well. It strikes a primitive cord in me maybe, hearkening back to people sitting around fires and sharing stories. When I was in elementary school we had weekly trips to the library and one of the activities was the librarian reading the class a story and she was really good at it. I love going to story festivals, we have a big one here every year near Holloween called the Corn Island Storytelling festival...all ghost stories told by professionals. Garrison Keillor has come to this thing before. Dude looks like a Basset hound but damn if he can't tell a story :)

Matt
04-29-2008, 01:25 PM
I totally agree man. And I must admit...there have been a few nights I've sat in the driveway for another smoke before stopping. :lol:

Heather19
04-29-2008, 01:57 PM
I chose different but equal. I love sitting down and reading a book, but I also have a long commute to work everyday so I had started listening to audiobooks to help pass the time, and I've really enjoyed them. Even if the narrator isn't the best as long as the story's good I'll enjoy it.

Patrick
04-30-2008, 09:54 PM
You know which author is a great reader of his own books? Neil Gaiman. The man is as good as, or better than, the professional readers/performers. And he reads a lot of his own work (not all, but a whole lot).

If you like reading Gaiman, I highly recommend you give him a listen.

Patrick
05-01-2008, 03:44 PM
For anyone who hasn't seen this, here is a pretty strong argument for audiobooks by the man himself:

King of Pop: Hail to the Spoken Word (http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1551492,00.html), by Stephen King

Matt
05-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Love that! He really explains the benefits of audio well. I always knew he was a fan but its cool to read something like that.

MonteGss
05-01-2008, 03:52 PM
I agree Matt. I am really looking forward to listening to those Potter books! I have them all on my iPod, ready to go. I want to listen to IT first though...

Wuducynn
05-01-2008, 04:07 PM
For anyone who hasn't seen this, here is a pretty strong argument for audiobooks by the man himself:

King of Pop: Hail to the Spoken Word (http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1551492,00.html), by Stephen King

You the Man, Patrick. You THE MAN. :harrier:

Daghain
05-01-2008, 07:16 PM
This

Worst of all? Abridgments. I hate abridgments. Abridgments should be outlawed. No, I take that back. Abridgments should be taken out and hung from the nearest lamppost. Why reputable and otherwise sane writers who labor for years on a book allow them to be snipped up by audio editors to fit a four- or six-CD format mystifies me. It's not as if the audio market generates billions, and the resulting chop-shop jobs go a long way toward justifying the critics' opinions. They're literary Diet Coke.

is spot on. But I still can't listen to a book I haven't read first. It's a thing. :lol:

I guess I am a literary purist.

EXPLORER
05-01-2008, 09:55 PM
I totally enjoy audio versions. They in a way are a convenience that allows me to enjoy more literature. My vision has always been somewhat poor. To sit and read best requires alot of light. I love to relax outdoors (prefeably poolside) on the weekend and saturate myself in a good book, however quite often I am on the go. Audio books fill the void and also make idle hours such as driving time speed by. I now own dozens of audio books. I have to also say my favorites have been ones read by the authors. King does the best at reading his writings. I just wish there were more material he decided to read.

cozener
05-01-2008, 10:40 PM
There's a place in my town that rents out audiobooks. The whole store is devoted to them. Its like a BlockBuster but instead of movies it has audiobooks.

EXPLORER
05-01-2008, 10:43 PM
There's a place in my town that rents out audiobooks. The whole store is devoted to them. Its like a BlockBuster but instead of movies it has audiobooks.

I have also seen this concept (audiobook rentals) along some major interstates at truck-stops where you can pick up in one city and drop off in another.

Wuducynn
05-02-2008, 07:51 AM

Thats an awesome idea. I wish there was a place like that near where I live.

Matt
05-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Same here but I got an MP3 player for my birthday so I'm going digital!! :rock:

Stinga of A-Town
05-02-2008, 08:23 AM
Perosnaly, I traveled up the tower all on audio, - I too have a long drive out to work, and the radio sux.
I am currently starting up the tower, for the 3rd time via audio and it seems each time I hear something new, or something that didn't stick the first few times. This time however, I started on book 7 and then went to 1,2 ect... and that seems to make it a bit more interesting, having 7 still fresh in my mind as I started 1 again.
I even have custom lightscribed CD's with book artwork for the Tower (that took freekin forever to make, but well worth the effort.)
I have also traveled round the HitchHikers guide books via Audio. Thats fun.
I must say that having stories told to me really captivates my intrest more than reading.

Wuducynn
05-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Perosnaly, I traveled up the tower all on audio, - I too have a long drive out to work, and the radio sux.
I am currently starting up the tower, for the 3rd time via audio and it seems each time I hear something new, or something that didn't stick the first few times. This time however, I started on book 7 and then went to 1,2 ect... and that seems to make it a bit more interesting, having 7 still fresh in my mind as I started 1 again.

Interesting! I've never thought of listening to them that way. Reading, yeah, but not listening. I'll have to do that the next time I listen through the series.

I even have custom lightscribed CD's with book artwork for the Tower (that took freekin forever to make, but well worth the effort.)

Nice! You should post pictures of them in the Artwork forum! :harrier:

Stinga of A-Town
05-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Hmmm- Mayhap I will.
I have made up 2 sets, one for me, one for my brother, but his book has a custom painted Ka symbol on it - if I can snap a pic of that - I'll drop it on the artwork section too.
As for starting with 7 to 1 ect.. I was hoping to hear a diffrent version - one with the horn of eld - but I figure I'll have to run through 19 times to get that tale (JK (maybe?).

Patrick
05-02-2008, 04:33 PM

King of Pop: Hail to the Spoken Word (http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1551492,00.html), by Stephen KingYou the Man, Patrick. You THE MAN. :harrier:
Love that! He really explains the benefits of audio well. I always knew he was a fan but its cool to read something like that.Thanks, guys. That column came out a couple years ago and I've been looking for it online ever since (although not looking very hard obviously). I found it based on a post in Calvins' Corner.

This

Worst of all? Abridgments. I hate abridgments. Abridgments should be outlawed. No, I take that back. Abridgments should be taken out and hung from the nearest lamppost. Why reputable and otherwise sane writers who labor for years on a book allow them to be snipped up by audio editors to fit a four- or six-CD format mystifies me. It's not as if the audio market generates billions, and the resulting chop-shop jobs go a long way toward justifying the critics' opinions. They're literary Diet Coke.
is spot on. But I still can't listen to a book I haven't read first. It's a thing. :lol:

I guess I am a literary purist.It takes a little practice (or at least it did for me) to get used to first time readings via audio. Now it's no problem. And, yeah, I can't stand abridgements either. I avoid them.

Same here but I got an MP3 player for my birthday so I'm going digital!! :rock::dance: Congrats, Matt.

Perosnaly, I traveled up the tower all on audio...Confession: I've never read the entire DT books on paper, only bits and pieces of the stories and looking at the artwork. The full books have all been by audio.

Wuducynn
05-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Confession: I've never read the entire DT books on paper, only bits and pieces of the stories and looking at the artwork. The full books have all been by audio.

You really should give the whoe hard-copy DT a try sometime. For a different experience. Smoke some pot a little while you do so.

MonteGss
05-02-2008, 04:42 PM
I figure that I'll have to give Something Wicked This Way Comes another chance later on. As I've mentioned, it is the first book I'm listening to that I haven't previously read. Not going as well as all the others so far...:(

I've never read or listened to any abridgment before and I don't plan to.

Jean
05-02-2008, 11:38 PM
I figure that I'll have to give Something Wicked This Way Comes another chance later on. As I've mentioned, it is the first book I'm listening to that I haven't previously read. Not going as well as all the others so far...:(.
read it. it's not that bad. I understand that all that poetry-in-prose must be really annoying when you have to listen to it; it's better when you read it with your eyes.

Brice
05-03-2008, 03:26 AM
:o That is one of my favorite books.

Wuducynn
05-03-2008, 06:52 AM
I LOVE Something Wicked This Way Comes and the movie too.

Brice
05-03-2008, 09:08 AM
I've never seen the movie, but the book is wonderful.

Patrick
05-03-2008, 11:38 AM
I figure that I'll have to give Something Wicked This Way Comes another chance later on. As I've mentioned, it is the first book I'm listening to that I haven't previously read. Not going as well as all the others so far...:(.
read it. it's not that bad. I understand that all that poetry-in-prose must be really annoying when you have to listen to it; it's better when you read it with your eyes.I listened to that same book recently, and to be honest, I had the same reaction as Monte. :( I kept thinking, "I wish I had read this when I was a teenager, maybe I would have liked it more." And I say that as someone who loves Ray Bradbury. I dunno, maybe Jean is right.

Monte, give another "unread" audiobook a try, don't be discouraged about it based on this one experience.

jhanic
05-03-2008, 11:49 AM
I said different but equal. I used to have to do a LOT of driving--about 600-800 miles a week--and got tired very quickly of listening to the various radio stations. So I started with audio books and found that they allowed the miles to go quickly. When I got to wherever I was going, though, I always had a print book for the hotel, plus I always had a print book at home.

Now, I don't do much driving at all, so I've migrated away from the audio books. I tried to listen to them in my drives around town while I was doing errands, but I was always too distracted by the traffic.

John

mia/susannah
05-03-2008, 06:21 PM
I voted reading. I have never listened to a book on audiotape. I cannot stand for someone to read to me. Not even when I was a kid. I much prefer to read the book myself and see and hear in whatever voice I choose and the scenery for myself.

MonteGss
05-03-2008, 08:13 PM
read it. it's not that bad. I understand that all that poetry-in-prose must be really annoying when you have to listen to it; it's better when you read it with your eyes.I listened to that same book recently, and to be honest, I had the same reaction as Monte. :( I kept thinking, "I wish I had read this when I was a teenager, maybe I would have liked it more." And I say that as someone who loves Ray Bradbury. I dunno, maybe Jean is right.

Monte, give another "unread" audiobook a try, don't be discouraged about it based on this one experience.

Thanks Patrick and yes, I think I will give another a chance. Not only is this my first experience with a "unread" audiobook, it is also my first Bradbury experience. Maybe I just haven't started with the right one. :)

Brice
05-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Oh....you really should READ some Bradbury.

....and I agree you should give audio as a first experience a second shot. :thumbsup:

MonteGss
05-03-2008, 08:25 PM
Oh....you really should READ some Bradbury.

Totally!

Jean
05-03-2008, 10:29 PM
I used to love Bradbury when I was a kid (read in translations then, but they were perfectly adequate as I see now), then (already in English) went through a long period of hating him - his affected style made me physically sick - but now I am beginning to rather calmly tolerate, and even somewhat enjoy, him, and it started with Something Wicked I bought last year.

Maera
05-10-2008, 09:59 PM
I have to choose reading hands down. I can't listen to one thing for extended periods of time (I'm constantly flipping through songs when I listen to music, skipping t o fit my exact mood at that second) and when I try to listen to a read book I always wind up getting distracted and missing something crucial.. So I really can't listen to them, which is really unfortunate..

Patrick
05-10-2008, 10:10 PM
... when I try to listen to a read book I always wind up getting distracted and missing something crucial.. So I really can't listen to them, which is really unfortunate..I have this issue as well sometimes and I have to hit rewind (or whatever it's called on the iPod). But then, I have that issue with the written word as well sometimes where I'll have to go back and read a page or two because I was totally zoning out.

Darkthoughts
05-11-2008, 03:58 AM
I've never listened to an audiobook - I'm not sure why.
Perhaps its because I equate listening, in that medium, with music - which I in turn equate with going somewhere or being active in some way (I'm not the kind of person who can have music on as a background noise, its a focus for me). Whereas reading I equate with relaxing, so I guess its never occurred to me to crossover with the two.

I loved being read to as a child though, my Dad was a fantastic narrator.
Perhaps next time I take a car journey I could give it a go, that seems like the ideal audiobook setting to me.

Brice
05-11-2008, 04:01 AM
*starts copying SK audios to send for your drive* :D

Darkthoughts
05-11-2008, 04:01 AM
:couple: :D

Heather19
05-11-2008, 06:37 AM
... when I try to listen to a read book I always wind up getting distracted and missing something crucial.. So I really can't listen to them, which is really unfortunate..I have this issue as well sometimes and I have to hit rewind (or whatever it's called on the iPod). But then, I have that issue with the written word as well sometimes where I'll have to go back and read a page or two because I was totally zoning out.

Same exact thing happens to me.

And Darks, long car rides are the perfect time to listen to an audiobook.

Darkthoughts
05-11-2008, 06:42 AM
Cool, thats my initiation sorted then :D I don't drive so I can tune into my ipod and drop out ;)

Patrick
05-17-2008, 08:09 AM
:thumbsup:

I have a long commute, audiobooks are the best thing about it. :)

Ves'Ka Gan
06-03-2008, 10:25 PM
I am sort of a passionate elitist on this topic. I can NOT listen to audio books. The reader's inflections and tone of voice tend to "build" things in my imagination and I don't like that, I like books because they leave me to my own devices.

Aside from that, reading is fun, but it is also a skill, and any skill needs to be practiced to remain sharp. Audiobooks give an excuse not to do that.

On the other hand, if I had a horrific commute, I may listen to books on CD, but I think they would probably have to be non-fiction type stuff. I want to be in my own world when I read fiction, otherwise, I would watch a movie.

Ves'Ka Gan
06-03-2008, 10:30 PM
As a post-script, I do have to make a cross country drive this fall, and the dear fiance hasn't read the DT at all. He seems to like audio books for driving so maybe I'll get the audios for the drive...I'll get to experience the story in a new way AND pull him over into the DT world.

John_and_Yoko
06-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Personally, I love to listen to books because it does not allow me to cheat. I have to listen to every word and it makes it so I can't skip things like scene description (which I am usually remiss on)

Not to mention, they pronounce the name for me. :nana:

Heh--for me it's just the opposite. I'm more likely to cheat if I'm listening than if I'm reading. I get distracted easily, and with the book there it's not about rewinding/fast-forwarding, the whole page is still there, so I'm obligated to read it all.

I'll grant you listening is better if you don't know how to pronounce something (or if the obvious pronunciation is wrong).

There are merits to both, and I'm considering possibly getting The Dark Tower volumes in audiobook form (IF I can afford them all and find them all).

MonteGss
06-04-2008, 06:02 AM
There are merits to both, and I'm considering possibly getting The Dark Tower volumes in audiobook form (IF I can afford them all and find them all).

You totally should! They are fantastic and I found I love the books in different ways since listening to them. You can find them all on eBay for cheap...that's where I got mine! :)

Tiffany
06-04-2008, 09:30 AM
I voted Reading. I find comfort in the physical aspects of reading. Turning the pages, holding the book in my lap, the smell of older paperbacks....ahhhh.
If I'm having a crappy day, I can stand in front of my bookshelves and just look over all the titles and I feel better.

I do have a few SK audio-books that I'll listen to while I'm taking a Lush bath but that's only because I don't want to get my books wet.