PDA

View Full Version : Which parts do you like reading the most?

Letti
01-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Be careful!
Spoilers are all around in this thread.
Wouldn't you like to go on?
Don't hesitate.

Which was the saddest moment of the whole series for you?
And which was the nicest? The most touching one?
It can be very interesting to put these two things next to each other. Maybe they are the same!
I am waiting for your answers eagerly.

jayson
01-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Yet another great question Letti. Here are my answers...

Saddest - From The Dark Tower ...Oy at Jake's gravesite
Most touching - From Wolves of the Calla - "Oy, Eld, Thankee."

Darkthoughts
01-22-2008, 11:38 AM
When Jake was struggling with his madness in The Wastelands, before being drawn through the Mansion, was very powerful for me.

Alot of the deaths saddened me, Eddie's however shocked more than saddened me, because I was all set to celebrate the ka-tet's victory...it was so unexpected.

The very saddest part for me though, was practically any scene that Roland was in. I felt so deeply sorry for him, he always felt like an outsider, even with his beloved ka-tet.

The nicest? Hmm, perhaps the most briefly mentioned parts where the ka-tet are on the road just shooting the breeze, or sitting round the fire under a starry sky, eating gunslinger burritos.

Matt
01-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Sad, for me--was probably the end. Followed a close second by Jakes personal end. :(

I was touched in the woods at the beginning of Waste Lands, Eddie struggling with his past where Henry was concerned.

Letti
01-22-2008, 11:56 AM
How different the answers are. Great. :)

jayson
01-22-2008, 11:59 AM
I was touched in the woods at the beginning of Waste Lands, Eddie struggling with his past where Henry was concerned.

That was another one for me. Eddie's struggle to be his own man made him such a compelling character.

obscurejude
01-22-2008, 09:12 PM
The most touching for me was the final three pages of Drawing of the Three where Roland is learning to depend on others for the first time in ages. When Susannah helped him cut the deer and then Roland spoke to Eddie about standing true on their quest, It made me cry.

I'm not sure about the saddest part. I'm going to think about that some more.

Good thread Letti!

ManOfWesternesse
01-23-2008, 02:16 AM
Saddest: Jake's death , & maybe more specifically Roland burying hime & Oy at the graveside.

Most touching: Maybe just after Oy is rescued on the Bridge in Lud. Jake's forgiveness for the bite & Roland wiping Jake's blood from Oy's muzzle. I liked that scene a lot.

Letti
01-23-2008, 03:05 AM
Yes, he forgave with the heart of a child and good friend. Touching part.

CRinVA
01-23-2008, 12:17 PM
My saddest was probably Oy's death!

My most touching was Roland dancing the Comala!

Letti
01-23-2008, 01:01 PM
My most touching was Roland dancing the Comala!

Yes! There is another human being who feels the same way about that part.

Storyslinger
01-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Yet another great question Letti. Here are my answers...

Saddest - From The Dark Tower ...Oy at Jake's gravesite
Most touching - From Wolves of the Calla - "Oy, Eld, Thankee."

Absoulutly what I would have put.

jayson
01-29-2008, 10:14 AM
yeah, well i did first, so pick another one! :lol::shoot:

Storyslinger
01-29-2008, 10:15 AM
:P

MonteGss
01-29-2008, 10:19 AM
Saddest: I am with some others that Jake's final death with Oy and Roland was really tough for me. Also, shortly after when Oy howls when they are reunited with Susannah in Fedic.

I love everybody's touching moments very much, I can't choose my own right now.

Happiest: When the tet is reunited together after being apart during SoS.

PedroPáramo
02-04-2008, 12:08 AM
Saddest: Oy saying "Oland" before die. I cried.

Touching: Roland screaming his friends names on Can'ka-No Rey

Letti
05-10-2008, 12:24 AM
Actions?
Fights?
Palavers?
Something else?

For my part I love those parts the most where the ka-tet isn't doing anything speciel, they are just together. They are sitting close to each other talking. They enjoy that they belong to each other so much and they share the khef.
Of course I love to read about everything but my favourites are the palavers when they talk about something simple or complex for 20 pages.

What about you? Which parts do you enjoy the most?

Jean
05-10-2008, 12:34 AM
what you said

Letti
05-10-2008, 12:47 AM
:couple:

MonteGss
05-10-2008, 07:48 AM
I have to agree with you Letti. My favorite parts are when the ka-tet is together....when we are seeing them interact, hang out, talk, etc. The whole DT story, for me, is about Roland, Eddie, Susie, Jake and Oy. Which is why, sadly, a certain book in the series isn't as good as the rest. It's just my opinion...:)

Nice thread Letti-dear! :wub:

sarah
05-10-2008, 08:11 AM
Yes. The times when the tet is sitting around the fire are some of my favorite parts to read.

I think this is one of the main reasons why I love The Wastelands so much.
The tet is becoming a tet.

MonteGss
05-10-2008, 08:12 AM
Yes. The times when the tet is sitting around the fire are some of my favorite parts to read.

I think this is one of the main reasons why I love The Wastelands so much.
The tet is becoming a tet.

I couldn't agree more. :wub:

Wuducynn
05-10-2008, 08:21 AM
The favorite parts for me are A. Whenever my Discordia ka-tet are involved and like Monte and Sarah said, the Ka-tet of the White are together. Other favorite parts of when we get deep insights into the mythology of the saga.

Letti
05-10-2008, 08:37 AM
Oh, it's damn good to know that many of you feel the same way as me.

fernandito
05-10-2008, 08:39 AM
The fight at Tull.

I don't know how many times I've read that part over and over, I almost know it by memory now.

Unfound One
05-10-2008, 08:39 AM
I really like the kas-ka trances.
And any time the tet is close enough to use their "telepathy."
Also, any time Roland is doing something traditional, like asking the three questions, speaking in High Speech, or his bowing and such.
It's just way cool.
I'm sure there's more.

Wuducynn
05-10-2008, 08:40 AM
The fight at Tull.

I don't know how many times I've read that part over and over, I almost know it by memory now.

So you re-read that part but not the entire series?? :lol:

fernandito
05-10-2008, 08:43 AM
The fight at Tull.

:unsure:

A series re-read is a coming though!

obscurejude
05-10-2008, 08:44 AM
I'm drawn most to the mythology of the series and the metaphysics surrounding the Tower and the characters the most. Connected to this, I really like reading about the Old People and any scenes where artifacts of theirs are discovered and how they inform the reality of the present All-World.

Letti
05-10-2008, 08:45 AM
The fight at Tull.

:unsure:

A series re-read is a coming though!

After some more Tull re-reading. ;)

Brice
05-10-2008, 08:47 AM
Really Feve just sits and rereads the feverishparade line over and over.

jayson
05-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Also, any time Roland is doing something traditional, like asking the three questions, speaking in High Speech, or his bowing and such.
It's just way cool.

I too love any time we get a glance into Roland's world as it was before it moved on. That is why I like Wizard & Glass more than Monte does :evil: I like to see Roland in his own element because it puts that much more depth to the perspective on him when he's in a completely foreign world.

Other favorite parts of when we get deep insights into the mythology of the saga.

Indeed! I love many of the scenes where King explains the deep history of Roland's world and it's belief systems, and how all of that factors in to what he shows us of the actual metahphysics of the multiverse.

I especially love any scene with The Rose.:rose:

Unfound One
05-10-2008, 09:01 AM
It's just way cool.

I too love any time we get a glance into Roland's world as it was before it moved on. That is why I like Wizard & Glass more than Monte does :evil: I like to see Roland in his own element because it puts that much more depth to the perspective on him when he's in a completely foreign world.

Perfectly said. Thankee. :rose:

John_and_Yoko
05-10-2008, 12:32 PM
I think the palavers are my favorite parts. Just so much information that's fascinating to know about. :)

LadyHitchhiker
05-10-2008, 03:37 PM
my favorite parts are where roland is discovering new worlds...

mia/susannah
05-10-2008, 07:19 PM
For me, like most everyone else, the palavers. When Roland, Eddie, Susannah, Jake and oy are sitting around a fire or whereever and just talking and enjoying each other. That is the best for me. I also enjoy the insights into Rolands world and how he grew up and became a gunslinger. :rock:

Jean
05-10-2008, 11:55 PM
For me, like most everyone else, the palavers.
no big surprize, right? after all, what we're all doing here? Palavering.

mia/susannah
05-11-2008, 02:58 AM
jean, so true. and isn't it the best ever?

Jean
05-11-2008, 03:22 AM
without any doubt! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_happy.gif

Truth
05-15-2008, 09:32 PM
The most interesting scenes are the ones where roland is thinking to himself about his own thoughts about his world, problems, or interests in the begening and end of the series

Darkthoughts
04-25-2009, 10:19 AM
*bump*

Lily-sai
04-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Oh, there's so many of them.. The whole episode with Blaine, Roland's unexpected jokes, anything in which Oy is involved, and so on.

But the two scenes that affected me very deeply, were
when ka-shume was approaching, and the ka-tet shared water together. When Oy licked Roland's cheek, it was almost too much for me. *weep*
And how I cried when Roland hugged poor Sheemie, when Sheemie and co. met the ka-tet for the first time! It was such a touching scene.

Ste Letto
04-25-2009, 12:28 PM
Hmmmm, saddest and most touching.

Oy's death was particularly sad.

Most touching, Oy's gratitude to Roland after he bit Jake's hand on the bridge.

Chap
04-25-2009, 05:34 PM
I don't know what parts I like reading the most, but when listening to The Gunslinger in audio book (twice now) I always get a chill from hearing:
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
The desert was the apotheosis of all deserts, huge, standing to the sky for what looked like eternity in all directions."
There's just something incredibly magical about those words. they set the scale for the journey that follows. Just fantastic.

candy
04-26-2009, 01:12 AM
wow, this is difficult - i could give you saddest, most touching and most enjoyed moment from each book, but its so difficult to pin point from the whole series

i must go most of you guys on the saddest part being
Oy by Jakes grave - wept bucket loads and dont think i stopped until the book ended

the most touching part, i am torn beteen the bridge and Oys bite and when Jake realised he was not mad and that the gunslinger and his world existed

the part i really enjoyed reading though was from DoTT - eddie and roland meeting and the fight in the boardroom when eddie fights naked -fantastic scene

Mad Man
04-26-2009, 01:33 AM
Which was the saddest moment of the whole series for you?
Everything connected with Oy from Jakes death . . .

And which was the nicest? The most touching one?
when ka-shume was approaching, and the ka-tet shared water together. - just like Lily said :(

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-26-2009, 07:06 AM
Some of my favorite parts are
1. Under the mountains, in the dark with the slow mutants. Definitely the scariest part of the whole series (which doesnt have many scary parts)
2. The defeat of Shardik.
3. The riddling scene on Blaine the Mono at the end of Wastelands (Though I hated having to endure that particular cliffhanger ending.
4. The fight at Eyebolt canyon.
5. The battle with the Wolves.

Ka-Shume
04-28-2009, 07:18 PM
I loved the parts when you knew you had read something extremely significant, and you knew you'd found out what it meant later but for the moment you're left in the dark completely.

Letti
04-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Friends, you needn't use spoiler tags here. :)

I loved the parts when Roland was joking. And that surprised face Eddie had... I love Roland's humour a lot. Rare but good.

Lily-sai
04-29-2009, 04:25 AM
Letti, I cry pardon for using spoiler tags - I just looked at the title of this thread and there wasn't *spoilers* warning. It just shows how blonde I am (mentally, that is).

And oh yes, I quoted one of the funniest of them somewhere in the favourite quotes thread, it was something about Roland asking Eddie to do this and that, then said "one more thing" and Eddie was fuming. But aw, darling Roland was just joking. How I love thee, Roland. :)

iscream22
04-29-2009, 09:07 AM
My Fav books are 1, 2, 3, and 5 (6 is ok too, i disliked 4 and 7 tho)

As far as my favorite parts

DT2
i always enjoy when Roland first encounters Eddie when he is on the plane and the ensuing chaos with Balthazar.

DT3
I like the stuff that happens in Lud, its really surreal and visual. The tick tock man and Blaine the Mono are wicked as well

DT5
And the battles in DT 5 are great. Very reminicient of Akira Kurosawas Seven Samurai but done in a fresh and original way.

DT6
ALl the stuff that happens with Stephen King, I like how reality kind of breaks the fourth wall or whatever. :rock:

Letti
04-29-2009, 10:40 AM
Letti, I cry pardon for using spoiler tags - I just looked at the title of this thread and there wasn't *spoilers* warning. It just shows how blonde I am (mentally, that is).

If only everyone was this careful. :rose: But you are right. I'm gonna add a spoiler warning, a spoiler icon. Just to be on the safe side.

DoctorDodge
04-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Hmmm, saddest and nicest moment i like to read the most out of the entire series? Difficult to say. I'd say the moment i like reading the most is the ending. What happened to Roland was so horrible and so tragic, but it was just SUCH a perfect end to the series that i can't help but love it. That would be what i would think of as the saddest moment i love to read.

Nicest? Probably when Jake discovers the rose in the Waste Lands. I don't know, maybe it was just the fact that that moment was written so well, but it really was a classic and truly awesome moment when he discovered it.

Sickrose
10-15-2009, 11:36 AM
The bit that made my cry was when Jake called Roland Father and he said ''will you call me so?'' something like that -in fact I am welling up now!!

Sorry I was just testing how the spoiler thing worked I would hate to say somehting and not added the spolier thing properly!

The bit where Roland says how he wa good at fitting in wherever he finds himself (he is in New York) and says how if he was there long enough he would be sitcking his middle finger up at taxis but its they way he says taxi. I have just been looking for it but cant find it!

MonteGss
03-16-2010, 08:19 PM
He said, "Here's an even sadder song my mother taught me" and then launched into a cheerful Irish Ditty called "Buy Me Another Round You Booger You." It was at least as dirty as the one the band had played earlier, but this time Eddie could understand most of the words. He and the rest of the town gleefully joined in on the last line of every verse: Before ye'z put me in the ground, buy me another round, you booger you!

Happy Patty's Day!
:lol: :D

LovesSweetExile
06-09-2010, 02:08 PM
The saddest part for me was when Randall Flagg got killed.

The best part? BLAINE !!!

Letti
06-10-2010, 06:39 AM
The saddest part for me was when Randall Flagg got killed.

Because of the way he got killed or just because?

monkeyme5
07-05-2010, 05:20 PM
For me - its everytime Roland draws his sandalwood grip guns! and his talented hands work to make every shot count - you can almost hear the hammering sound in your imagination when he deals out round after round of death - you can almost smell the hot iron as he reloads faster and faster and the reading seems to take on a matrix style blur in which I have never ever experienced in any other book!!!... This is especially the case in Tull as the tension mounts while walking his mule through main street just before the angry mob (headed by sylvia pittston) descend upon our Gunslinger... The excitement at that very moment when the whole population of tull appear and he kills every last one man woman and childe!!!

Saddest part - would have to be eddie and his internal battle with his past and going cold turkey - man I love that guy and have nothing but admiration for his character! :) HI ALL LOL

DoctorDodge
07-06-2010, 11:51 AM
For me - its everytime Roland draws his sandalwood grip guns! and his talented hands work to make every shot count - you can almost hear the hammering sound in your imagination when he deals out round after round of death - you can almost smell the hot iron as he reloads faster and faster and the reading seems to take on a matrix style blur in which I have never ever experienced in any other book!!!... This is especially the case in Tull as the tension mounts while walking his mule through main street just before the angry mob (headed by sylvia pittston) descend upon our Gunslinger... The excitement at that very moment when the whole population of tull appear and he kills every last one man woman and childe!!!

Saddest part - would have to be eddie and his internal battle with his past and going cold turkey - man I love that guy and have nothing but admiration for his character! :) HI ALL LOL

Oh, I definitely agree with ya about Roland drawing his guns, and I especially agree with ya about the DT series being unique in its style of the awesomely styled action it places in your mind! Every time I read about Roland shooting at an impossible speed, I just feel like going, "Whoa." No other book's ever really had that effect on me, tbh.

Oh, and welcome to the site, monkeyme5! Glad to have another Brit on this board! :thumbsup:

Mustangmike1969
07-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Well, aside from the agreeing with many-others regarding Saddest-Part = Oys' Death in defense of the Sleeping Gunslinger....Funniest part for me is Hands-Down:
End of 3, beginning of 4
Blaine Demands his Riddles, and Rowland pretty-much tells him what he can do with THAT idea..:shoot:...his whole comeback had me Rolling! I never knew Rowland was a "Closet-NewYorker!
Boy, I'm glad I found this fansite....this is awsome.....

arrawyn
07-10-2010, 08:41 PM
The bit where Roland says how he wa good at fitting in wherever he finds himself (he is in New York) and says how if he was there long enough he would be sitcking his middle finger up at taxis but its they way he says taxi. I have just been looking for it but cant find it!

I love the way Roland says taxi! Tack-see. so cute! :)

Empath of the White
07-10-2010, 08:47 PM
Most touching parts I enjoy reading--Roland and Jake's rescue of Sai King and the event that followed. Likewise, when Roland returns to Susannah and she chews him out...specifically when she says seomthing like "are you happy" and Roland replies, "No." By this time, I could practically feel the exhaustion Roland must have felt on his long journey to that moment.

arrawyn
07-10-2010, 08:48 PM
my fave parts: i love how Roland mis-says things/words he hears in our world: i.e. tuna fish sandwich becomes tooter fish! :lol: :wtf: and aspirin becomes astin (no matter how hard he says he tries to say aspirin). and of course tack-see. its just so ...endearing :).

and my other fave parts are meeting all the characters and rescuing jake and bringing him back into mid-world.

and the heartwarming parts like Oy's bow, and eddie jumping rope faster and faster in calla bryn sturgis -and rolands rice dance!