The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka
The Trial by Franz Kafka
Complete works of Mathew Arnold
Jude the Obscure- Thomas Hardy
Philosophical Investigations-Ludwig Wittgenstein
Summa Theologicae- St. Thomas Aquinas

Jean
05-09-2008, 10:20 PM
obscure: can you post two separate lists now, ten fiction and ten non-fiction? the bear is interested

(love Kafka, too, but am not sure he will make my top ten)

obscurejude
05-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Sure Jean, let me think of it some more.

Brice
05-12-2008, 06:30 AM
subject to change of course

1. Einstein's Dreams-Alan Lightman
2. The Monk-Matthew Gregori Lewis
3. Infinite Jest-David Foster Wallace
4.A Confederacy Of Dunces-Jonathan Kennedy O'Toole
5.The Girl Next Door-Jack Ketchum
6.The complete works of H. P. Lovecraft (I can't pick just one)
7. Neverwhere-Neil Gaiman
8. Finnegan's Wake-James Joyce
9. House Of Leaves-Mark Z. Danielewski
10. Fatu Hiva-Thor Heyerdahl
11. A Clockwork Orange

Jean
05-12-2008, 06:35 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif cheater! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif
I'll have the complete Dickens and Chesterton, then

Brice
05-12-2008, 06:37 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif cheater! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif
I'll have the complete Dickens and Chesterton, then

Both are good selections. I can't blame you for claiming them all. :D

....and still I listed eleven even with counting that as one pick. Really it's incredibly hard making such a short list.

Seymour_Glass
07-14-2008, 05:39 PM
I'm taking all of Salinger.
Ubik by Philip K. Dick
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
On the Road by Jack Kerouac
The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
VALIS by Philip K. Dick
Choke by Chuck Palahniuk
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson.
The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick.

Ruthful
07-14-2008, 05:57 PM
obscure: can you post two separate lists now, ten fiction and ten non-fiction? the bear is interested

(love Kafka, too, but am not sure he will make my top ten)

Have you read his diaries, which were published by Shocken? I know they were meant to be destroyed along with the rest of his unpublished works-before his literary executor, Max Brod, double-crossed him after he died-but I was still disappointed. I only got twenty to twenty five pages in before I put the book down. Most diarists aren't Samuel Pepys, but I was surprised by how repetitive his diary entries were, especially for someone who put so much thought and precision into every word he wrote, even when it was for a tedious workman's insurance report.

daniel_sx
07-14-2008, 06:01 PM
In no particular order:

The Bad Place, Dean Koontz
Anvil of Stars, Greg Bear
The Servants of Twilight, Dean Koontz
Black Trillium, Bradley, McCaffrey, and May
The Golden Torc, Julian May
Blood Trillium, Julian May
Pillars of the Earth, Ken Follet
Sharra's Exile, Marion Zimmerer Bradley
Juxtaposition (one of the Adept Series books), Piers Anthony
Magnificat, Julian May

PedroPáramo
07-14-2008, 08:55 PM
The wind-up bird chronicle- Haruki Murakami
Diablo Guardian(Guardian Devil)-Xavier Velasco
Our laddy of the assasins-Fernando Vallejo
One hundred years of solitude-Gabriel Garcia Marquez
A study in scarlet-Arthur Conan Doyle
Sputnik, sweetheart-Haruki Murakami
Norgewian Wood-Haruki Murakami
L.A. Confidential-James Elrroy
Farenheit 451-Ray Bradbury
Pedro Paramo-Juan Rulfo

Jean
07-14-2008, 09:59 PM
obscure: I normally avoid reading diaries or letters that were not meant for public - not, of course, because I am so scrupulous, but because I don't want to see an author I like shown to his disadvantage. The difference between what is written with and without the intent to be publicised is usually shocking (at least, until you get used to the idea that normally an author may be brilliant, or just plain intelligent, only when he is doing what his talent is directed at)

Rider_of_Discordia
07-15-2008, 04:35 PM
This is a tricky one ... I could probably spend months making piles of books, restacking favourites sadly excluding ones ... so hard. I certainly can't do it in order!
Here is a top ten that I might disagree with tomorrow!

1) Quest of the Three Worlds by Cordwainer Smith. Really not a novel in its own right, but a series of 4 interconnected short stories pretending to be a novel. Its a cosmic Pilgrims Progress, a tale of revenge, redemption and spiritual growth. Wonderful, moving and clever with some of the most unique characters I have ever encountered in a book.

2) Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny. The story of a distant planet were the settlers have previously tamed a savage new world by using science and psychic abilities to take on the persona's of Hindu Gods. The story starts after this has happened (its not shown in detail) and what happens when one of the original crew decides to buck the status quo. Thundering good adventure and a very clever concept that is used to its full potential.

3) Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury. Bradbury books are like poetry turned into prose. His writing is so rich and dense ... his stories full of mystery and magic. This one about the day the Dark Carnival comes to town is a slice of wonder. Turned into a film that was largely forgetable, the book is as close to the feeling you get on Christmas morning just before you start to open your presents.

4) The Santaorga Barrier by Frank Herbert. This slim little book is a total contrast to the rest of Frank Herbert's uber sci-fi output. Not set on a distant world, no sand, sandworms or spice. Its the tale of a psychologist who journeys to a small community to investigate a series of strange phenomenon. He discovers an unusual gestalt between all the inhabitants that arises from a local food product ... something he himself eats and begins to feel drawn into the gestalt. An interesting novel about what it means to be human, to be civilised and how we view each other ... all tied up in a fast paced little thriller that achieves so much in just 100 or so pages you will be amazed.

5) IMPAKTO by Richard Calder. I am not sure this can be put into words! Its a novel that takes you to another world. I read it originally on holiday and my partner asked me when I finished where I had been for two days. I had vanished completely ... at least thats how we both felt. Odd, surreal, magical, a journey to heaven and hell ... back again ... life death and Thailand. What more could you want ... except maybe your brain back!?

6) ILLUMINATUS By Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson. However other books will appear and disappear in my personal top ten this trilogy will remain. One book cut into three really, now available as a single volume (as it should be, but makes it a pain to read in bed as you feel you are bench pressed a small child!) Conspiracy, cosmic joke, the true history of the world... who knows! Follow a bunch of the oddest heroes on a journey through a strange version of the 20th century. Discover the truth ... or just be lied to some more! Whichever it is you will be baffled and entertained in equal amounts.

7) Inferno by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. A rewrite of Dante's Inferno, but with a cynical Science Fiction Writer as Dante. Allan Carpenter dies and wakes up in the Vestibule of Hell. We follow him as he journeys down inot the famous Italian poet's version of the afterlife. This works as an adventure yarn, but also as a way to exploring Dante's inferno without trudging through all those stanzas of hard to read translated Italian. I later on braved the real thing and have to confess this incarnation of the tale works much better.

8) LEGEND by David Gemmell, written when the author thought he had a terminal illness ... and thought this would be the only book he would ever write. Its a last stand book. A small fort manned by a tiny army, up against the biggest horde of mad barbarians ever collected between book covers. Its suicide, nobody can survive, but if they can just hold out long enough the King might be able to get his butt into gear and mobilise enough of an army to save us all. Think 300 with magic and mystery ... feel yourself stand shoulder to shoulder with the defenders as they make the attackers pay for every foot of earth they take. And prepare to meet Druss the Axe. The most wonderful OAP hero of them all. Well past his sell by date, got a dodgy knee, knows he is going to die here, but is a force of nature bar none ... DRUSS, captain of the Axe. This book will grab you and force you to read it. If you try and fight, it gets medievil on your butt!

9) Franny and Zooey by J D Salinger. A little cheat (like Quest of the Three Worlds) its really not a novel but two tightly interlinked short stories. Most of JD Salinger's tiny, but beautiful output concerns the lives and trauma's of the Glass Family. From Seymour Class, whose suicide over shadows every story in the sequence, to Franny, who kicks off the proceedings here. Only the famous (and poorest of his works in my opinion) THE CATCHER IN THE RYE escapes having the Glass Family at its heart. Franny and Zooey is all about a clash between our regular life and our spiritual life. Sounds dull, but you just fall in love with both of these too bright for their own good characters. Wonderful stuff crammed into every page!

10) LESS THAN HUMAN by Charles Platt. The only funny ha ha ha ha book on the list. Whenever I am feeling down and need a good cheering up I usually wander over to one of my Charles Platt novels. FREE ZONE is another favourite, but this one just got into the Top Ten based on it being re-read more recently. Utterly cruel, savage, very funny ... takes a bunch of tired old Sci Fi cliches and romps home with a wonderful tale. The tale of human robot who wakes up in a future Manhatten Island that is close to melt down, falls in love, goes for a walk, saves a bunch of hippies, gets into your heart before you realise it.

ManOfWesternesse
07-16-2008, 01:05 AM
7) Inferno by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. A rewrite of Dante's Inferno, but with a cynical Science Fiction Writer as Dante. Allan Carpenter dies and wakes up in the Vestibule of Hell. We follow him as he journeys down inot the famous Italian poet's version of the afterlife. This works as an adventure yarn, but also as a way to exploring Dante's inferno without trudging through all those stanzas of hard to read translated Italian. I later on braved the real thing and have to confess this incarnation of the tale works much better.

8) LEGEND by David Gemmell, written when the author thought he had a terminal illness ... and thought this would be the only book he would ever write. Its a last stand book. A small fort manned by a tiny army, up against the biggest horde of mad barbarians ever collected between book covers. Its suicide, nobody can survive, but if they can just hold out long enough the King might be able to get his butt into gear and mobilise enough of an army to save us all. Think 300 with magic and mystery ... feel yourself stand shoulder to shoulder with the defenders as they make the attackers pay for every foot of earth they take. And prepare to meet Druss the Axe. The most wonderful OAP hero of them all. Well past his sell by date, got a dodgy knee, knows he is going to die here, but is a force of nature bar none ... DRUSS, captain of the Axe. This book will grab you and force you to read it. If you try and fight, it gets medievil on your butt!

[8] I utterly agree with - a great Book, from an Author who produced a few of them.

[7] Sounds interesting. I love Niven/Pournelle's 'Mote in Gods Eye' + 'Moat around Murchesons Eye' (or 'Gripping Hand' as ye have it Stateside.) Also love Niven/Pournelle/Barnes ' Legacy of Heorot' - great scifi.

Rider_of_Discordia
07-16-2008, 10:33 AM
If you liked Mote, then INFERNO is a must read. They tackle what could have been a fantasy novel with a hard science approach ... it shouldn't work, but it does. My copy is quite old, I bought it in the 80's ... and I haven't seen it republished since. It might be tricky to track down!

Legend, oh yes. This should be a must read on any fantasy reader's bookshelf. Probably not his most well written book ... and he would shudder at some of the dialogue in particular I would suspect. But it has an energy that can't be denied!

3 DOORS DOWN
10-03-2008, 12:42 PM
I always wonder what other SK fans read and what thier top 3 none
SK titles are.Heres mine
1. lord of the rings
2. assassins apprentice (ROBIN HOBB)
3. vellum (HAL DUNCAN)

Jean
10-03-2008, 01:15 PM
this thread is going to be merged with that thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=2865)tomorrow morning (Moscow time)

EDITED: merge complete

<ô> bango skank <ô>
05-25-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm gonna count book series as one book or it's just to hard.

1. The prince of nothing/Aspect Emperor trilogies- R Scott Bakker
2. The night Angel tril- Brent Weeks
3. Lord of the rings- Tolkein
4. Of mice and Men- John Steinbeck
5. Harry potter books- J K rowling
6. Rune Lords books- David Farland
7. Angels and demons/Da vinci code- dan brown
8. ascendants of estoria books- James Barclay
9. Diskworld books- Terry pratchett
10. English Dictionary- various (would be in yours if you could spell like me, just used it to spell ascendants)

Special mention to the other Dan Brown books which i couldn't add as they are not part of the Langdon series. Also to The Painted Man- Peter V Brent which was a close 11.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-25-2009, 04:33 PM
In no particular order:

1. Dracula - Bram Stoker
2. Frankenstein - Mary Shelly
3. Lord of the Flies - William Golding
4. One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest - Ken Kesey
5. Something Wicked this Way Comes - Ray Bradbury
6. War of the Worlds - H.G. Wells
7. Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
8. Edgar Allen Poe - complete works
9. Journey to the Center of the Earth - Jules Verne
10. The Godfather - Mario Puzo

Lily-sai
05-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Ah thanks, Bango, for digging up this thread!
In no particular order:

Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
Simply because it saved my childhood - when I was ten, I was sent to a boarding school, where everyone else was at least thirteen, thus despising a wee girl following them. I spent my evenings there dreaming of Undying Lands and elves. LotR gave me strength through those times.

Hyperion by Dan Simmons
Do I need say more?

The complete works of Cordwainer Smith
In Finland, they were published in one book, titled 'A Planet Named Shayol', which is a title of one of his short stories. I read it when I was very young, and it really had a very deep effect on me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordwainer_Smith

The complete works of Alastair Reynolds
I just love him, I really do. A brilliant sci-fi writer.

A Fire Upon the Deep & A Deepness in the Sky by Vernon Vinge
Yes, two books there. Another great sci-fi writer.

The Song of Troy by Colleen McCullough
Not very easy to read due of the amount of main characters, each of which have their own separate chapters through the book, but as I love Greek legends, this was a great read for me.

The complete works of Jules Verne
When I was little, I took his books to our summer cottage and read them in the sunshine, wondering what it would be like to journey to the center of the Earth. And I absolutely, absolutely loved 'Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea'! I still do. Captain Nemo is my hero.

Animal Farm by George Orwell
I also read this one when I was very young, and it really shocked me. How I wept for poor Boxer. Now I understand better what the book was really about, but I still weep for Boxer.

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
In fact, I should include all his books here, but this was the first book by him I read, and it has a special place in my heart.

East of Eden by John Steinbeck
I only discovered Steinbeck quite recently, and I can't believe what I've been missing out! Sheer brilliance. Next book I'm going to read by him will be 'Of Mice and Men'.

Seymour_Glass
05-25-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm taking all of Salinger.
Ubik by Philip K. Dick
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
On the Road by Jack Kerouac
The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
VALIS by Philip K. Dick
Choke by Chuck Palahniuk
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson.
The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick.

God, has that list changed. I guess it's good I've been reading so much stuff, but I feel so detatched from this list. A lot of them I haven't thought about in a long time. Maybe I'll put up a new list sometime, but that would probably change as well.

Seymour_Glass
05-25-2009, 05:15 PM
9) Franny and Zooey by J D Salinger. A little cheat (like Quest of the Three Worlds) its really not a novel but two tightly interlinked short stories. Most of JD Salinger's tiny, but beautiful output concerns the lives and trauma's of the Glass Family. From Seymour Class, whose suicide over shadows every story in the sequence, to Franny, who kicks off the proceedings here. Only the famous (and poorest of his works in my opinion) THE CATCHER IN THE RYE escapes having the Glass Family at its heart. Franny and Zooey is all about a clash between our regular life and our spiritual life. Sounds dull, but you just fall in love with both of these too bright for their own good characters. Wonderful stuff crammed into every page!

Amen. Salinger is staying on my list.

Sam
05-25-2009, 09:00 PM
All right. No "the complete works" stuff with this list. This is a listing of my top ten Non-King Books: Fiction. In order.

1. DUNE by Frank Herbert
2. Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein
3. Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
4. Forever Peace by Joe Haldeman
5. God Emperor of Dune by Frank Herbert
6. Children of Dune by Frank Herbert
7. The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien
8. The Odyssey by Homer
9. Face at the Edge of the World by Eve Bunting (a juvenile novel but very powerful)
10. Little Fox Goes to the End of the World by Ann Tompert (my favorite book as a child, I read it until it fell apart even though I was six when it was published)

Can you tell I like the works of Frank Herbert? Trust me, none of the film versions have gotten the stories right yet.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-25-2009, 09:06 PM
I have always been interested in the Dune series, but I have never gotten around to it. So many books, so little time.

Seymour_Glass
05-26-2009, 03:07 AM
I read the first three Dunes and liked them, I just never got around to God Emperor.

CRinVA
05-26-2009, 04:25 AM
I have to put Dune as #1 - #2-10 in no specific order (and Iwill cheat)

1 - Dune by Frank Herbert
2 - The rest of the Dune series (old and new)
3 - Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling
4 - Lord of the Rings series by JRR Tolkein
5 - The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan
6 - Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck
7 - The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn by Mark Twain
8 - To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
9 - The Shannara series by Terry Brooks
10 - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

Sam
05-26-2009, 06:38 AM
The sheer scope of Dune puts it in the lead spot for me for best book I have ever read. It has power unparalleled, political intrigue, and ferocious warriors forged by the furnace of Arrakis all rolled into about 550 pages.

turtlex
05-26-2009, 06:47 AM
Plus... big space worms, right Sam?

Sam
05-26-2009, 07:54 AM
Yep. Can't forget the Sandworms.

Frunobulax
06-11-2009, 09:07 PM
In no order.

1. The Divine Comedy
2. Salinger as a whole
3. Cat's Cradle
4. In The Penal Colony
5. Catch-22
6. A Confederacy of Dunces
7. The Book of the SubGenius
8. The Hitchhiker's Trilogy
9. To Kill A Mockingbird
10. Also Sprach Zarathustra

This is a curiously inconsistent list that will change each day.

Seymour_Glass
06-13-2009, 11:32 AM
New List(no order):
Salinger(still)
Breakfast of Champions
Ubik
Catch-22
Rant
Sirens of Titan
His Dark Materials
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay
Survivor
On the Road/Dharma Bums (cheap, I know, but I'll be goddamned if I could choose just one)

Jean
06-13-2009, 11:00 PM
1. The Divine Comedy
5. Catch-22
9. To Kill A Mockingbird
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif
Look, if we leave out all non-fiction, and "Salinger as a whole" as one of your favorite authors as opposed to "favorite books", and The Divine Comedy as a poem, - I mean, if we consider only separate pieces of fiction written in prose - you'll have a lot of empty slots left. Will you fill them for the bear?

Seymour_Glass
06-14-2009, 06:50 AM
2. Salinger as a whole

Oh my god! I didn't even see that!:excited:I realy love Salinger and I hope he has a box of stuff that he'll publish all in one go.

ola
06-14-2009, 01:28 PM
In no particular order:

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman
The Incredible Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
The Grey King by Susan Cooper
Neuromancer by William Gibson
Siddartha by Herman Hesse
Valis by Philip K Dick
The Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling
The Once and Future King by TH White

Runners up are Dune, Rant (by Palanuik), maybe something from Foundation...plus some Sam Delaney?...whew!

sarajean
06-14-2009, 01:41 PM
In no particular order:

Valis by Philip K Dick

Runners up are Dune, Rant (by Palanuik), maybe something from Foundation...plus some Sam Delaney?...whew!

i like you already.

jayson
06-14-2009, 06:06 PM

I'm re-reading that now for the first time in years. Still great. :D

Seymour_Glass
06-15-2009, 12:46 PM
In no particular order:

Valis by Philip K Dick

Runners up are Dune, Rant (by Palanuik), maybe something from Foundation...plus some Sam Delaney?...whew!:thumbsup:

Good picks.

:thumbsup:

Myste
10-05-2009, 08:59 AM
Some great books that popped in my mind right now:

The Complete work of H.P. Lovecraft
Hyperion by Dan Simmons
Children of the Night by Dan Simmons
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
Fear Nothing by Dean Koontz
Dracula by Bram Stoker
Acceptable Risk by Robin Cook

Jean
10-05-2009, 10:26 AM
The Complete work of H.P. Lovecraft

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif

pathoftheturtle
10-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Excluding prophets, saints, sages, yogis, shamans, Zen masters, comedians, psychologists, researchers, naturalists, scientists, statesmen, playwrites, poets, and Ambrose Bierce --

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes
Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan
Gulliver's Travels by Johnathan Swift
A Christmas Carol in Prose by Charles Dickens
Flatland by Edwin Abbott
The Time Machine by H. G. Wells
The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupéry
Animal Farm by George Orwell
Lord of the Flies by William Golding
Watership Down by Richard Adams

This is hard. Very!
And please, please don't ask for just ten plays. Excluding drama (& I counted works like Faust) was the only thing which made this excercise bearable.
Still, there are about 100 more which I'd like to mention. ...OMG... urg... :ninja: ...Very hard.

theyspunaweb
10-07-2009, 04:16 PM
What books are suggested reads by HP Lovecraft?

mystima
10-07-2009, 09:56 PM
in no particular order

1. The Deathly Hallows- J.K.Rowling
2. The pern series- Anne McAffery
3. Little Women- Louisa May Alcott
4. Brisnger- Christopher Piolini
5. Maximum Ride- James Patterson
6. The Phantom of the Opera- Gaston Leroux
7. The Scarlett Letter- Nathaniel Hawthorne
8. I Am Legend- Richard Matheson
9. The Illiad- ?
10.The Odyssey-?

pathoftheturtle
10-09-2009, 08:51 AM
9. The Illiad- ?
10.The Odyssey-?Homer? :unsure:

Jean
10-09-2009, 08:54 AM
Any. Just start and you won't be able to quit till you're through, and then you'll ask for more and curse and wish he had lived much longer and written much more.

Myste
10-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Any. Just start and you won't be able to quit till you're through, and then you'll ask for more and curse and wish he had lived much longer and written much more.

Yep... that's about how it worked for me too.

mystima
10-10-2009, 06:48 PM
9. The Illiad- ?

i couldn't remember right of the bat...i was thinking at a very wierd time for me...thats what insomnia does to some people. i almost forgot who wrote Little Women....lol:nana::nana:

Merlin1958
10-10-2009, 07:47 PM
In no particular order:

1. Dracula - Bram Stoker
2. Frankenstein - Mary Shelly
3. Lord of the Flies - William Golding
4. One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest - Ken Kesey
5. Something Wicked this Way Comes - Ray Bradbury
6. War of the Worlds - H.G. Wells
7. Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
8. Edgar Allen Poe - complete works
9. Journey to the Center of the Earth - Jules Verne
10. The Godfather - Mario Puzo

I like the way you think dude, but how about these:

Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien
2001, A space odyesus and its subsequent chapters, Arthur C. Clarke
Foundation Series, Issac Asimov
I, Robot Series, Issac again
Time machine, H.G. Wells
Catcher in the Rye, Salinger (say what you will it was a watershed book)
You also mentioned a few horror books that would be included here but.....)
( Non Eligible but should be) The Shining, Stephen King (It was IMHO a Classic)
As a sub: The Devils Alternative: I believe it was Forrester but I could be wrong
The Exorcist, William Peter Blatty
Jaws, Peter Benchly
DaVinci Code: Dan Brown: Pure literary and marketing genius!!

Honorable mention to: Invisible Man, Red badge of Courage and The Hobbit as well as a slew of others............(Godfather up there too) lol

And without saying the complete works of our (or Britain's) beloved Shakespeare

But that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!!

Merlin1958
10-10-2009, 07:58 PM
You know, here is a little known short story that I have always loved: A Big front Yard. Don't remember the author but it was a Nebula or Hugo award winning Sci-Fi that has always had an impression on me. Check it out, it was a great story!!!!!

Sam
10-10-2009, 10:34 PM
The Big Front Yard by Clifford D. Simak was awarded the Hugo Award for Best Novelette in 1959. It was up against works by, among others, Fritz Leiber and Jack Vance. In cidently, Leiber won the category the year before and Vance won it the next year.

Brice
10-11-2009, 04:36 AM

As Jean said. :) Really there is NO bad (or even mediocre) Lovecraft. His every word is phenomenal. You can literally start with any story and do well.

pathoftheturtle
10-12-2009, 08:18 AM
9. The Illiad- ?

i couldn't remember right of the bat...i was thinking at a very wierd time for me...thats what insomnia does to some people. i almost forgot who wrote Little Women....lol:nana::nana:np. :) Happens to me, too; all the time.

I thought maybe you had used the "?" on purpose because Homer drew from pre-existing oral legends. Or because there's so many good translations of his books.

*shrug* It's all good. Nice picks, BTW, though I skipped over such in my list. If not, I'd also have included works like the Celtic táins and the Norse eddur. And the Upanishads and Sanskrit epics. And Tao Te Ching. (And many Amerind collections, and The Epic of Gilgamesh, and... :doh:

divemaster
10-14-2009, 06:58 PM
1. The Bonfire of the Vanities
2. Memoirs of a Geisha
3. Starship Troopers

4-10, no particular order:
Re-Birth (aka The Chrysalids)
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Weapons Shops of Isher
Crime and Punishment
Phantoms
Jaws
The Lord of the Flies

As a kid...
The White Mountains trilogy
Lassie Come Home
Where the Red Fern Grows
The Enormous Egg

ErinPatricia
10-14-2009, 07:58 PM
The Belgariad by David Eddings
The Malloreon by David Eddings
Polgara the Sorceress by David Eddings
CivilWarLand in Bad Decline by George Saunders
The Fu*k Up by Arthur Nersesian
Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Nine Stories by J.D. Salinger
The House of the Spirits by Isabelle Allende
Eva Luna/The Stories of by Eva Luna Isabelle Allende
Ransom Seaborn by Bill Deasy

ola
10-14-2009, 08:08 PM
Where the Red Fern Grows

My fourth grade teacher read that aloud to the class in parts, and at the end she started crying. I had to re-read it on my own because of the impression it made on me. She wasn't really a crying-in-front-of-class sort of lady.

Sickrose
10-15-2009, 10:16 AM
This is a difficult one but I would go for:

1984 - Geroge Orwell
Ragged Troussered Philanthropists - Robert Tressell
Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert
Coming Up for Air - George Orwell
Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole
Catcher in the Rye - J D Salinger
How the Dead live - Will Self
The Dubliners - James Joyce
The Gum Thief - Douglas Coupland
Bartleby - Herman Melville

mystima
10-15-2009, 10:36 PM
9. The Illiad- ?

i couldn't remember right of the bat...i was thinking at a very wierd time for me...thats what insomnia does to some people. i almost forgot who wrote Little Women....lol:nana::nana:np. :) Happens to me, too; all the time.

I thought maybe you had used the "?" on purpose because Homer drew from pre-existing oral legends. Or because there's so many good translations of his books.

*shrug* It's all good. Nice picks, BTW, though I skipped over such in my list. If not, I'd also have included works like the Celtic táins and the Norse eddur. And the Upanishads and Sanskrit epics. And Tao Te Ching. (And many Amerind collections, and The Epic of Gilgamesh, and... :doh:

one that i didn't mention but should be on the list was Beowulf. i always thought that was a cool story. and of course Gilgamesh...i like those kinda stories as well.

pinkymcfatfat
12-13-2009, 12:30 PM
In no particular order:

1- The Haunting of Hill House- Shirley Jackson
2-The Graveyard Book- Neil Gaiman
3- The Theif of Always- Clive Barker
4- Principia Discordia- Malaclypse the Younger
5- Watership Down- Richard Adams
6- Good Omens- Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
7- A Susposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again- David Foster Wallace
8- Devil In The White City- Erik Larson
9- Necronomicon Omnibus of H.P. Lovecraft
10- Imajica- Clive Barker

Brice
12-13-2009, 08:37 PM
great list

ManOfWesternesse
12-15-2009, 01:02 AM
... no particular order:
Re-Birth (aka The Chrysalids)

John Wyndham? - good choice. A great book, but I guess I'll always put 'Day od the Triffids' before it.

divemaster
12-15-2009, 05:56 AM
I also enjoyed The Day of the Triffids. But there's just something about young love or puppy love and kids having to figure stuff out that really gets to me. (That's also why Wizard & Glass is not only my favorite Dark Tower book, but one of my favorite books of all time). The plight of the two kids in The Chyrsalids and having to hide her secret (Beware thou the Mutant!) in this post-apocolyptic tale is very compelling.

It's not too much of a stretch to think than anyone who posts on tbis mesage board would like this book.

Brice
12-15-2009, 06:22 AM
My roommate keeps telling me I should read both of these books.

Too many books to read. :panic:

ManOfWesternesse
12-15-2009, 06:39 AM
Indeed divemaster The Chrysalids is a great read.
Brice , when you get around th those 2 - add in The Midwich Cuckoos as well why dontcha! I re-read those 3 Wyndhams quite regularly.

divemaster - you should try (if not already) the 2 books I'm currently reading (at the instigation of my 15-yr-old daughter).
The Hunger Games + The Hunger Games - Catching Fire. You might like 'em.

Brice
12-15-2009, 06:44 AM
I don't think we have that one at the house. Of course if I like the other two I'll definitely try to find it. :)

Jean
12-15-2009, 07:35 AM
Brice - if you haven't read Triffids or Cuckoos, you just got to drop everything, I repeat everything, go get yourself a copy of each, and start reading immediately, I repeat immediately.

ManOfWesternesse
12-15-2009, 07:54 AM
:thumbsup: - that should get him moving Jean!

Brice
12-15-2009, 08:15 AM
But...but I'm in the middle of books. :cry:

Jean
12-15-2009, 09:24 AM
so am I, of about a dozen or so. A couple more or less won't change anything.

Brice
12-15-2009, 09:25 AM
True! :)

MelissaBee
12-15-2009, 08:41 PM
I love questions like this.

Here's my Top 10 list, and while the books are always pretty much the same, the order varies from time to time.

1. The Subterraneans - Jack Kerouac
2. The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
3. The Road - Cormac McCarthy
4. Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto - Chuck Klosterman
5. Notes From Underground - Fyodor Dostoevsky
6. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Brontë
7. Goodbye, Amelia - Simone Felice
8. Burning in Water, Drowning in Flame - Charles Bukowski
9. Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman
10. The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy - Douglas Adams

Fox92
05-18-2013, 11:39 AM
What a great thread!

Well, here we go:

1. Harry Potter series, J.K. Rowling (No comment)
2. His Dark Materials, Philip Pullman (I began to read the first book three or more times, didn't like it all at first, but then suddenly I just couldn't stop...)
3. Short stories by Ray Bradbury (I adore his short stories, All Summer in a Day was his first work I read. That was really awesome.)
4. Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card (About two years ago a friend of mine told me about the upcoming movie and I decided to read the book. Actually, I'm not fond of sci-fi and all these alien attacks, but Orson Scott Card was just perfect.)
5. Dances on the snow, Sergey Lukianenko (Great Russian writer, this story is a little bit like in Ender's Game.)
6. Drei Kameraden, Erich Maria Remarque (A masterpiece. For all times.)
7. Across the River and into the Trees, Ernest Hemingway (My favoutite Hemingsway's work, I don't know, for me it's just soaked with tenderness.)
8. Kazan, James Curwood (Wolves wolves wolves! Wolf-dogs, to be precise :excited:)
9. The Master and Margaret, Mikhail Bulgakov (Do I need to comment on this point?)
10. The Vampire Armand, Ann Rice (Well, vampires are one of my greatest weakness, but in this particular case that was descriptions of Venice and paintings that stole my heart.)

To be honest, this list can be endless :D

Empath of the White
05-26-2013, 10:48 PM
1. The Elric saga, from The Stealer of Souls to The White Wolf's Son by Michael Moorcock
2. Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson
3. Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
4. The Bas-Lag novels by China Mieville
5. The Conan series by Robert E. Howard
6. The Twilight Reign by Tom Lloyd
7. The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie
8. Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie
9. The Vlad Taltos series by Steven Brust
10. Weaveworld by Clive Barker

thegunslinger41
05-27-2013, 05:06 AM
Too early and not had my coffee yet...here goes (in no particular order)

1) Lord of the Ring
2) Survivor - Chuck Palahnuik
3) Lord of the Flies
4) Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn
5) Enders Game - Orson Scott Card
6) Sphere - Michael Crichton
7) Count of Monte Cristo -Alexander Dumas
8) Harry Potter series
9) Dark Rivers of the Heart - Dean Koontz
10) Wizards First Rule - Terry Goodkind
11) Christ the Lord (Road to Cana) - Anne Rice
12) The Host - Stephenie Meyer (pretty freakin awesome read)
13) Delerium -Lauren Oliver

Ok...that was 13.

-Gabriel

Jean
05-27-2013, 11:04 AM
6) Sphere - Michael Crichton
7) Count of Monte Cristo -Alexander Dumas
8 ) Harry Potter series
9) Dark Rivers of the Heart - Dean Koontz

: bearhugs :

Stebbins
05-27-2013, 01:39 PM
I'm not done with either series yet so I can't say which particular one of each, but definitely one of the Travis McGee books by John D. MacDonald ( One Fearful Yellow Eye is probably my favorite through thirteen of the twenty one), and a Parker novel by Richard Stark. This is a very good thread and I'll have to compile a list when I'm a bit more well read.

CyberGhostface
06-30-2013, 09:41 AM
It would be very hard for me to make a definitive list so I'll play it loose.

In no particular order:

1. Dracula by Bram Stoker -- I've probably reread this the most after It and The Shining.
2. Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
3. A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin
4. Short stories of Ray Bradbury
5. Short stories of Roald Dahl
6. Short stories of Edgar Allan Poe
7. Works of Joe Hill
8. A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
9. The first three Hannibal books by Thomas Harris
10. The Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer