PDA

View Full Version : The Buick, The Mist, and The Tower **Spoilers**

razz
05-09-2008, 06:23 AM
-

Brainslinger
05-10-2008, 05:07 AM
OK, Spoilers for The Dark Tower books and From a Buick 8 and Hearts in Atlantis ahead. I won't tag em though as I might as well tag the entire post if I do that. (I'll do that if you like mods?)

There may well be a connection with the Buick and The Dark Tower world. I'm certain the creature wasn't a lobstrosity though. The creatures of the 'Buick portal' seemed to be completely alien to our experience, whilst the Lobstrosities, whilst also alien to our world, do at least bear a strong similarity to our fauna.

I think the main connection between the Buick and the Dark Tower books, or rather Hearts in Atlantis is the car itself and the mysterious driver who left it. I.e. the low men. I'm not totally convinced even of this but it has been suggested, and I read somewhere that was what Stephen King intended.

I'm sure the world accessed via the boot/trunk portal wasn't Mid-World or End-World though, taking into account the different atmosphere (if I remember correctly. (I suppose it's possible it is the nuclear wasteland outside Ludd but I don't think that's right.) It's been a while since I read From a Buick 8 and the details are vague.) I'm thinking it's either a completely different world or possibly some realm within Todash space. I say 'realm within todash space' since Todash space itself is supposed to be empty, apart from the monsters, but I suppose it's possible there are pocket universes therein. I think it's more likely just another very alien world on another level of the Tower though.

Since the car had such a strong connection to that alien world though, I think maybe the creature cars of the Low men originate from that world. There is no mention of the cars 'creature nature' in the Dark Tower books, and whilst there is plenty of strange creatures and advanced technology in Mid World and End-World (albeit the technology is mostly ruined) I think the cars are as alien to Mid-World or End-World as they are to here. With all those doorways though, I wouldn't be surprised if that world could be accessed though, and that world's resources utilized by the minions of the red king.

It's a shame the cars were not mentioned in the Dark Tower books. The Low men's big cars are mentioned in Wolves of the Calla I believe, but it's not mentioned that they are anything other than just cars. Course that doesn't mean they weren't, but you'd think Callahan would have picked up on their strangeness, (course it's possible he just didn't mention that to the Ka-tet in his palaver. That or he mentioned it, but off-page as it were). Instead he seemed more focussed on their role in the overall garishness of the Low men. Maybe he just wasn't sensitive to them in the way Brautigan and that kid (I forget his name... Bobby?) was or the Low men used ordinary (if large) cars in that world. Likely Callahan just didn't stick around for a close look when they turned up..

razz
05-11-2008, 09:11 AM
i mentioned the Lobstrocity from the mist. I see what you're getting at.

MonteGss
05-11-2008, 09:15 AM
There is no need to spoiler-tag posts in a spoiler thread, fyi. :)

Brainslinger
05-11-2008, 03:25 PM
i mentioned the Lobstrocity from the mist. I see what you're getting at.

Oh ok. It's been a while since I read either, I've forgotten the names etc.

Yes, concerning the Mist connections, I've read that it came from todash space. As in, the agency (I forget the name, but you know the covert guys responsible) had drilled a hole somehow into that area causing things to leak through.

I heard that King himself has mentioned this (but I'm not certain.) Not entirely convinced myself though, but I guess the strange smoke coming out of the cracks in the ground near Fedic (Devil's Arse, was it) could be somewhat reminiscent of that. Taking into account the strange monsters who appear later.

Jean
05-11-2008, 10:38 PM
There is no need to spoiler-tag posts in a spoiler thread, fyi. :)
well, since we're referring to a number of sources here, it was a good idea to warn what exactly was going to be spoiled in that long post anyway; thank you Brainslinger

razz
05-12-2008, 05:24 AM
they spoke to them. they said they wanted out. that they've been digging for thousands of year, and that they'll soon break through. (paraphrased and summarized dramatically)

those monsters from the devils arse?

Brainslinger
05-12-2008, 02:03 PM
>those monsters from the devils arse?

Yes, those are the one's I meant. I'm sure when King first wrote the Mist, the origins of the monsters was supposed to be different, but it still fits in hindsight.

razz
05-12-2008, 04:07 PM
I'm sure when King first wrote the Mist, the origins of the monsters was supposed to be different, but it still fits in hindsight
ka is a wheel.
It goes full circle.