PDA

View Full Version : Pet Semetary (Spoilers included)

LadyHitchhiker
05-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Alright, for those people who have read the book, here's a poll for you...

Daghain
05-07-2008, 08:44 PM
I voted Hell NO! Dead is dead, man. Don't mess with Mother Nature. :lol:

LadyHitchhiker
05-08-2008, 02:18 PM
:D I thought this would be a fun little poll! :D

Letti
05-08-2008, 10:08 PM
It's a really good poll, Liz. Really.
For my part: hell no!
There are many reasons. Dead deserve their peace and we can't have power over it.

ManOfWesternesse
05-09-2008, 12:32 AM
I voted No.
(Though I'd prefer a straight 'No' without the '...Hell...Zombie..' stuff. - Death is not something we should try to mess with)

Jean
05-09-2008, 12:47 AM
I voted No.
(Though I'd prefer a straight 'No' without the '...Hell...Zombie..' stuff. - Death is not something we should try to mess with)
ditto

Ka-tet
05-09-2008, 09:14 AM
I said yes, at first i was gonna say hell no.

Then i thought what it would be like with my loved ones(joss in particular) and i think i probobly would, i know its selfish. But thats it.

blaineworshipper
05-09-2008, 10:31 AM
I voted No.

Same here :)

razz
06-01-2008, 02:04 PM
depends on who it is. i'd bury my dog there, but not my brother. when he dies, i will throw a party at my place.

Míchéal
06-08-2008, 04:26 PM
yes...it'd be fun...

razz
06-08-2008, 05:46 PM
all y'all are invited.

Ka-mai
06-12-2008, 09:49 AM
I say "no" now, but if my kid died, can't say I'd be thinking correctly.

LadyHitchhiker
06-13-2008, 05:10 AM
I commend your honesty ka-mai...

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-20-2009, 03:10 AM
Old poll, but I saw it and decided to add my piece....definitely not.
Interesting how we are all fans of horror, but dont wish to bring any home with us.

AlishaRiley
02-20-2009, 07:04 AM
HELL NO!!

LadyHitchhiker
02-20-2009, 04:03 PM
And I would do anything for love, but I won't do that....

Sorry... had to sing...

I think I initially voted that I'd do more research first before making a rash decision...

sleeplessdwarf
02-20-2009, 04:52 PM
I voted no way. Not going to happen.

William50
02-20-2009, 04:55 PM
I might.... :wtf:

LadyHitchhiker
02-20-2009, 05:09 PM
I still don't know for sure what I would do

on the one hand I'm terrified of zombies

on the other hand I'm terrified of losing more of the people/animals I love...

pathoftheturtle
05-07-2010, 12:22 PM
1. I felt like the end of Pet Sematary was the only ending that fit.
2. If you look at the book as a traditional tragedy, the ending to the book is the only one that makes since.
3. In fact, it is 1 of only 3 or 4 King endings that I am completely satisfied with.1. I agree 100%.
2. Well, I don't know... I don't look at it exactly that way...
3. I agree 100%.

In a tragedy, the character's fatal flaw (in this case I think it is selfishness) must lead to that character's demise. And everyone should see it coming but that character himself. i.e the audience is screaming "No, no, don't do it dumbass!!" From this aspect, while there might have been some alternate endings that would make sense, I think that this one is perfect.

...the character's fatal flaw (in this case I think it is selfishness) ...See, I'm not so sure about that. After all, it was Rachel, not Louis, that was in denial.

Well, in fairness, motives are sometimes fuzzy. I don't know if selfishness is a great description of Louis's fatal flaw. Maybe a better one would be one would be altruism, which is oddly the opposite of altruism, but follow me on this one...

Louis feels guilt because he could not save Pascow, this plants the seed for Louis's need to fix everything else throughout the novel.
He tries to fix Church for Ellie.
He tries to fix Mrs. Crandall for Jud.
He tries to fix Gage for Rachel and Ellie.
Then after all of this has failed, and his altruism has lead him down the path of destruction, he commits the selfish act that ultimately leads to his demise..
He tries to fix Rachel for himself.1. That last is definitely a case in which the motives are fuzzy. Still open for debate, IMO. :orely:
2. What makes you think that Louis is demised? :o

I do think that you're onto something about Louis's need to fix everything, though. One thing I love about this book is that the main character is not a writer, lol. I believe that PS is very much an allegory for medical practice.

JRM
05-07-2010, 12:25 PM
I'll be too afraid of the consequences. Lol.

Melike
05-08-2010, 06:55 AM
I voted no. But if I remember correctly, it is not only about choice. Semetary had a great beguiling power on people. So if I had choice, I wouldn't bury anything there.

Brice
05-08-2010, 07:16 AM
I'd bury ME there. :evil:

Melike
05-08-2010, 07:30 AM

Ok, I changed my mind. I'd bury myself right there. http://www.asb.tv/forums/style_emoticons/default/happy.gif

Brice
05-08-2010, 09:17 AM

Ok, I changed my mind. I'd bury myself right there.

Then we can be evil FOREVER! Mwahahahah! :couple:

Melike
05-08-2010, 11:14 AM

:couple:

Letti
05-08-2010, 01:19 PM
I have talked about this book to my Moon. I told him how sad that most of the people thought that this book was just a cheap horror book and they had no idea of the depth of it. I told him this book is about our biggest fears and how much we cannot face the facts. And he told me something interesting. That this book is about hope. When everything turns to be hell.. the human-being still hopes.
And..
if I look at this question with this thought on my head... I am not sure if I could let hope go or not. First I said oh no way I would never do that but I am not that sure anymore.

JRM
05-08-2010, 03:19 PM

:couple:

How can you bury yourselves. :panic:

But if you find a way, let me know. I'd love to be buried there as well. :rock:

Brice
05-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Simple: you have two options-

1. Bury yourself BEFORE you die.

OR

2. Be a zombie...but then I guess you don't need no micmac burial ground.

pathoftheturtle
05-09-2010, 10:09 AM
I have talked about this book to my Moon. I told him how sad that most of the people thought that this book was just a cheap horror book and they had no idea of the depth of it. ...Yes, yes, I feel that way exactly, very often.
... this book is about hope. When everything turns to be hell.. the human-being still hopes...:orely: Hmm. I will definitely think that over!
I voted no. But if I remember correctly, it is not only about choice. Semetary had a great beguiling power on people. So if I had choice, I wouldn't bury anything there.It is one of the most perplexing issues. By the end, certainly, Louis is completely mad and nothing but a tool of the evil, (which is why I think it is just plain silly to assert, as the film does, that it would kill him) however, the efforts of the spirit Pascow earlier do seem to imply that the White, some source of goodness, was trying to give Louis a choice. It's especially horrible to think that a fate so dark could befall someone regardless of that person's choices. So, yes, a major question is: How much of a role does free will play in the reality of this novel?

LadyHitchhiker
05-09-2010, 12:35 PM
I have talked about this book to my Moon. I told him how sad that most of the people thought that this book was just a cheap horror book and they had no idea of the depth of it. I told him this book is about our biggest fears and how much we cannot face the facts. And he told me something interesting. That this book is about hope. When everything turns to be hell.. the human-being still hopes.
And..
if I look at this question with this thought on my head... I am not sure if I could let hope go or not. First I said oh no way I would never do that but I am not that sure anymore.

You astound me Letti. You're so cute because you'll come up with your answer right away, and then you think about it. And then you think even deeper and come up with a beautiful response. That's why I would vote for more research.

And I think we should ALL bury our own selves in the pet semetary and like take over the world ;)

just kidding, but it is a deep and interesting answer to come up with to such a complex amount of emotions and grief.

Well grief, it can make you feel just about anything. If I were in his position, I can't say that I wouldn't have tried the same thing myself.

But I'd be prepared with more weapons, I think.

Just in case.

Jon
05-15-2010, 11:24 PM
I must say thatI am oft for the bad guy...Gage is my hero!

Dagavidiab
05-17-2010, 07:11 AM
If someone warn me about buring my love one in that cemetary, but he/she doesn't explain me the real consequences.... (the zombie part). I would do it, without a doub. Losing a child is really hard, and i believe that a LOT of you would do it in the same circunstances; the hope to see him/her again, and the love by this person will transcend any fear, doub or any other thing that could restrain us

pathoftheturtle
05-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Ever think about how easy it is in life to destroy and do evil and how hard it is to do good and create? I mean, you can plan and plot to kill someone... or you could just make a wrong turn... or forget to turn your stove off.

It's been well noted that mankind did not make the birds of the air or the lillies of the field. We're so unnatural; I think it's really the worst about this human condition. We finally did figure out how to fly, so why does it have to create so much pollution?

NicNac
05-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Do I think I should bury my (hypothetical) kid in Pet Semetary? Absolutely not. Death isn't something we should mess with like that.

Do I trust myself to adhere to my principles if my (again, hypothetical) child were to die? No, honestly, I don't. The chance to see him/her one more time, my irrational parental belief that MY son is too good and innocent to be changed into a zombie, and my belief that God or the universe or whatever is just WRONG for taking him would overcome my good sense in this case.

Brice
05-22-2010, 04:04 AM
My motivations for doing it are pure. I wouldn't do it because I'd miss someone I love or any base reason like that. I'd do it to fight me some zombies. Hell, I got an idea. I might have to go dig up the regular cematary and relocate them fuckers. :evil:

LadyHitchhiker
05-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Really Brice? Your loved one comes back as a zombie and you would enjoy attacking them?

Or just any old dead people would you relocate?

Brice
05-24-2010, 04:59 AM
Oh, I meant random stranger zombies in that post. :lol:

But rest assured if the family comes back craving BRAINZZZZ they are going down too. :shoot:

racerx45
01-29-2015, 09:14 AM
OK I know this was posted elsewhere but I think it is worth another post. The link below takes you to the news story

Cat cheats death, claws his way out of his grave days after burial (http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/01/28/cat-cheats-death-claws-his-way-out-of-his-grave-days-after-burial/)

dnemec
01-29-2015, 10:08 AM
OK I know this was posted elsewhere but I think it is worth another post. The link below takes you to the news story

Cat cheats death, claws his way out of his grave days after burial (http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/01/28/cat-cheats-death-claws-his-way-out-of-his-grave-days-after-burial/)

Saw this too. Totally freaks me out. I wouldn't let that cat in my house!

Ricky
01-29-2015, 10:32 AM
That is super creepy!

jhanic
01-29-2015, 11:02 AM
I also saw that and immediately thought of Church. Scary!

John

fearless-freak
01-30-2015, 09:59 AM
okay this may be the wrong place for this, but this is pretty sweet and the price is a steal

http://mondotees.com/collections/all/products/pet-sematary-ost-lp

racerx45
01-30-2015, 10:04 AM
those are cool

taggs7475
05-15-2015, 10:24 AM
Sometimes dead is better

Jamie Vultrille
06-10-2015, 05:08 AM
Ah, man, existential angst. Nietzsche-esque territory. But yes, I think in the end the book is halfway optimistic about the whole dying thing by basically telling us to leave it alone. Don't be too scared, everyone owes a death at some point in time. Ironically though, it was also hope that made Louis do what he did because he though he was getting the Lazarus effect but got the 28 Days Later version instead.

Now, if I had a choice (in an anarchic, all-hell-is-loose Mad Max level of the Tower) I'd kill a lot of politicians, bury them in the PS, wait for them to claw out, then kill them all over again.

Xerrand
06-18-2015, 04:01 AM
No I definitely would not bury anybody who died in the pet cemetery, even somebody very close to me. We see in the book that it pretty much never goes right with human beings buried there, I think it's probably to do with human sentience maybe? The Wendigo may be able to use this extra intelligence to work more evil than it could in mindless animals. Not worth the risk!

Sai Sheb
02-19-2016, 03:47 AM
Remember charlie in fire starter and how on first reading the raw emotions of her treatment,
Then when re-reading it a year or two later the love is there but changed!
As with Roland or mother Abigail if I can get that attached to a book and keep going back
Even knowing they will change as I grow older what would I be like losing
My dogs? I would have to take them to the cemetery even knowing they will
Change but love them just as much!
Long days and pleasant nights.

St. Troy
07-26-2016, 08:31 AM
Question:

I know PS had been sitting around before SK agreed to publish it. Does anyone know when it was actually finished? I'm curious where it fits in the true chronology of his early novels.

Bev Vincent
07-26-2016, 08:35 AM
Here's my historical context essay: http://www.stephenkingrevisited.com/a-mans-heart-is-stonier-by-bev-vincent/

He finished it before he started The Dead Zone.

St. Troy
07-26-2016, 08:45 AM
thanks

mae
02-26-2018, 03:04 AM
Really in-depth discussion in two parts by The Losers Club podcast:

https://consequenceofsound.net/podcast-episode/episode-54-pet-sematary-pt-1/

https://consequenceofsound.net/podcast-episode/episode-55-pet-sematary-pt-2/

Roland of Gilead 33
06-01-2018, 09:10 PM
i just started this tonight actually i've never read it! i have tried to read it countless times but for some reason i loose interest in reading it, i get up to his 1st day at the University and i stop reading it. i have no idea why? i love the film and i know there are people out there who have read the book that despise the film. but reading the trivia section on IMDB if this is true the original cut was much longer and it was cut because of that and it's a shame too. i hope they someday release that on blu-ray. having said that and seen the film i know how the book ends so it's not a big deal if spoilers are here or not.

i'm sure it followed the book fairly well since King Wrote it. with apparently the wendigo that got cut from the film. the trivia section i was talking about mentioned that. and Judd having a wife in the book which also was different, i love the Cujo Reference though. i have this sucker on Hardback actually but at the back it mentions Misery at the back of the book so it must be a later printing that they made for the club i'm guessing. i was looking on IMDB tonight and they were talking about how John Lithgow got cast as Judd and though Fred Gwynne is always gonna be Judd for me i am Open to see how Lithgow does it cause i've always loved him. though i do miss the days when he played a crazy motherfucker like in Raising Cain for example. damn i love that movie or Ricochet another favorite of mine.

Roland of Gilead 33
06-01-2018, 09:11 PM
oh i voted for HELL NO i forgot to add that sorry

Roland of Gilead 33
06-04-2018, 10:43 PM
well i'm only on Chapter 12 so far. and what is really sad i think is at the start of the novel they are such a nice family and than after all the shit that happens to them by the end of the novel all that is stripped away entirely pretty much. though i do wonder did King ever mention Ellie in any of this other books? i don't think he did but than i could be wrong. i mean she is the ONLY one that lived after all

Kongo
06-05-2018, 12:14 AM
well i'm only on Chapter 12 so far. and what is really sad i think is at the start of the novel they are such a nice family and than after all the shit that happens to them by the end of the novel all that is stripped away entirely pretty much. though i do wonder did King ever mention Ellie in any of this other books? i don't think he did but than i could be wrong. i mean she is the ONLY one that lived after all

I just finished before starting Talisman and really enjoyed it. I absolutely agree about how heartbreaking it is to watch the family fall apart, and definitely adds a nice, tragic gloom to the book

Roland of Gilead 33
06-07-2018, 05:47 PM
Talisman i need to read that one cause that's another one i need to read an actually fucking finish! the dreamcatcher was another one that i had started about a dozen times and never finished i did read that about a year or so and i really loved it. From a Buick 8 was another i started numerous times and i read that a couple years ago i think it was and i really loved it. having said that talking about this book and both are replies make me think of well any John Saul book where they start out a happy family until shit starts to happen that is.. i picture Judd as i know him as Fred Gwyenne but who else would i? he he

Roland of Gilead 33
06-12-2018, 08:01 PM
well i'm farther now i'm on chapter #20 now page #84 in my hardback of it. in my paperback i'm on page #102. why do i pay attention to the paperback ?cause i get Curious on how farther the paperback is. if i have both the paperback and the hardback that is. also at times i forget where i put the hardback and than i can have the paperback to read. if i can't find both i read the digital version of it. i come prepared! he he

Roland of Gilead 33
06-24-2018, 02:30 AM
Further along i'm on Chapter #27 Page #147 thus far in my hardback version of it. and this is actually the farthest i have ever got in this book i think this time i may actually fucking finish it. something i've tried to actually do since shit i'd say since i was in my teens. where i'd start it than i'd get up to the death of Pascow i think it was and than for some reason lose interest. now i've just read Judd talking about bringing back his dog Spot to life. other books off the top of my head i've never read well early books of his which are Firestarter, Cujo, any of his collection novels where i've read some of the stories but never finished the actual book. for Different Seasons i got up to Adapt Pupil and the story i just can't get into cause i saw the film 1st and it's such a bad fucking film that it i think has tainted me from getting into the short story it's based off of cause my brother was telling me once the short story also is bad as well.

Misery is another one i've never finished or Eyes of the Dragon. that's about it for his early books that i can think of.

Roland of Gilead 33
06-30-2018, 01:00 AM
I"m on in my hardback of course, Chapter #40 i have 128 pages left in it and i may read another one after this and recently i counted how many of his i've read and it's only #25! i thought it was higher than that! this would be #26. no wait it would be higher if i count the green mile when they 1st came out in the 6 books.

Roland of Gilead 33
06-30-2018, 11:21 PM
now i'm on chapter #45 page 281. and i've only got 98 pages left in it. the horror is going to be coming soon cause it's the night where Gage is gonna be buried in the Indian Burial ground. he hasn't done it yet but Ellie just had her Dream and Louis just woke up from his nap. that's where i am. i've got a theory though it hasn't been said but is Ellie either Physic or does she have the Shine like Danny Torrence? if so than i wonder why she wasn't used in Doctor Sleep?

ratchet41
05-04-2019, 12:27 AM
well i've since finished the book and i loved it but for me it's funny how i think the film the (1989) version anyways it's more scary than the book was. i know it makes no sense to me either