PDA

View Full Version : A Cross-Country Move, Any Expereienced Help Would Be GREATLY Appreciated

Jimmy
05-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Laura/Rjeso and I/Jimmy are planning a cross country move this summer. We plan on having a moving company do the big drive for us. Do any of you have any exp. on doing something like this? We're researching moving companies for prices and it's rather difficult knocking out a fair price, plus we have about 10 different companies calling and e-mailing us daily with requests to give us quotes. We really don't know where to start. Company recommendations would be a big help to us.

HELP!!!! :panic:

Thanks! :rock:

Matt
05-05-2008, 08:43 AM
I always loaded and drove myself Jimmy. My parents had some terrible experiences with moving companies and I have avoided them ever since. :(

Wish I could help though. Congrats on the move, where are you guys headed?

Jimmy
05-05-2008, 08:45 AM
I always loaded and drove myself Jimmy. My parents had some terrible experiences with moving companies and I have avoided them ever since. :(

Wish I could help though. Congrats on the move, where are you guys headed?

Neither of us drive, so that's a no go.

We're joining up with Flagg's crew out west. Some desert town called Las Vegas.

Thanks for the words though. :)

mia/susannah
05-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Jimmy, wish I could help. I have never used a moving company. I wish you and Laura the best of luck in Las Vegas and with the move

Jimmy
05-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Jimmy, wish I could help. I have never used a moving company. I wish you and Laura the best of luck in Las Vegas and with the move

Thanks anyway! Goodmind is just as good as moving advice. :thumbsup:

ZoNeSeeK
05-05-2008, 09:25 PM
If you're getting multiple quotes, try and play them off against eachother. "So and so are offering this, can you beat it?" etc.

Nerak
05-06-2008, 06:14 AM
I would check with the Better Business Bureau before signing with a moving company. Some have been known to be real shysters and pulled really shitty things to their clients.

RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!

Randall Flagg
05-06-2008, 06:27 AM
Several years ago my mother moved from Northen California to Miami Florida.
The prices quoted by moving companies were very expensive. After checking around, I found a company that dropped off a 27' trailer and we loaded it ourselves. They then drove it cross country where it was unloaded by my mother and my two sons. It was 1/4 the price of using a moving company.
Good luck. Moving is a pain in the ass.

Rjeso
05-06-2008, 07:28 AM
Yeah, there are a lot of scammers out there, and I have been doing a lot of research. It's always good to have first-hand reviews from people you at least recognize and somewhat know, rather than reading reviews from complete strangers who could be the company owners/employees posing as customers for all we know.

Unfortunately, the "we load, they drive" option is not a valid one for us, as I can't really carry anything as heavy as a bookbox, let alone a large recliner sofa or entertainment center. If I could be useful in the move, we'd probably just be getting a U-Haul or a PODS or something. As it is, we need the full-service shebang.

obscurejude
05-06-2008, 07:33 AM
I wish you guys lived near by. I'd just offer to load it up for you for free. :couple: I help people move all the time, part of being in a college town.

Do you live near a university? You might find some twenty somethings that would help you for free or real cheap.

alinda
05-06-2008, 09:32 AM
That sounds like a real good idea to me...
I told ya I'd hire out my boys for the loading
and I know how to drive...:evil: j/k but hey
it would get me out to Vegas by the time
of the convergence by the DT.com gang !!
Mebbe its not such a bad idea after all?

Rjeso
05-06-2008, 09:49 AM
I've got some friends that could help load, it's just the unloading that would be the problem. Squeeze yourself and all your boys in a car and be there or be square. We'll feed ya and house ya for the weekend. ;)

alinda
05-06-2008, 11:14 AM
I actually will consider this, if things go well .I took the month of July off work
(thank GOD for PTO) when is your move?
P.S. It's a good thing its no longer topsecret!!:lol:

Rjeso
05-06-2008, 11:20 AM
"No longer" is right. Fine by me. ;)

We get into Vegas on August 1st. Furniture delivery would be a bit later than that, most places are giving a 2-week window for delivery. <_<

alinda
05-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Oh pooh ! I am back on duty at the hospital by then.
*stomps feet, and begins to sulk* I'm gonna keep my
thinking cap on tho' I'd sure like to make that trip to Vegas.
On a side note, if things stay as they are with Randall down
here, I may be up for a trip :evil: you see what I mean? :D

Rjeso
05-06-2008, 11:59 AM
I b'leeve I do, my friend, I b'leeve I do.

Jimmy
05-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Thank you so much to everyone for your advice!

Erin
05-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Good luck with the move guys!

About 8 years ago my family and I moved from North Carolina to Kentucky. Not a huge distance, but the moving company managed to lose one of our couch cushions and a box filled with sentimental things from my childhood. So I'm not a huge fan of moving companies. :lol:

I wish you guys the best though! Oh, and why are you moving to Vegas?

Rjeso
05-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Mostly for my skeletal system, as the Minnesota winters are getting too hard on my body (my rheumatologist is very excited about this move, hee). Also, his parents live in Vegas and are getting older, so we're going there for them as well since there's nobody else around them family-wise.

alinda
05-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Good kids really ya are. I am so proud of you both.
Your so smrat... and taking care of parents..it is a
very worth while thing do do..take it from me, I
wouldnt trade these days with my MOM for millions!

MonteGss
05-06-2008, 02:08 PM
Laura, you and Jimmy let me know if you feel like having a delicious Guinness at the Claddagh before you leave. My treat! Think of it as a "nice to meet you both, good luck, now get out of my town" gift! :lol:

Rjeso
05-06-2008, 06:38 PM
:rofl: That's really very kind of you, Monte. Mmmmm, the Claddagh... wild mushroom triangoli! Have you tried that? It's awesome.

"Your town". Pffffffffft. :P

Daghain
05-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Well, once you leave, won't it be his town? :lol:

John Blaze
05-07-2008, 01:03 AM
wish I could help you guys move. good luck with that, and be careful.

Rjeso
05-07-2008, 04:20 AM

But that's only after we leave, and it'll still be my hometown. ;)

Thanks, JB.

Jimmy
05-07-2008, 06:24 AM

If you had any idea how often I see the word "Minnesota" (although usually followed by "Twins") in some way connected with Rjeso, you'd see the futility of this statement.

Trust me, this state is in her blood. She wears a Twins bracelet made out of the same stuff as a baseball, for God's sake. She has more autographed balls in glass boxes than the Hall of Fame. T-shirt, after t-shirt, after t-shirt. :rofl:

(Also a big THANKS to all of you who would offer to physically help us move, if you could. Thank you so much.)

Rjeso
05-07-2008, 06:32 AM
HEY! There's nothing wrong with that. :P

And I only have, um, five licensed t-shirts and six autographed baseballs. :P And seven hats, but four of those were free. So ha.

Jimmy
05-07-2008, 06:37 AM
HEY! There's nothing wrong with that. :P

And I only have, um, five licensed t-shirts and six autographed baseballs. :P And seven hats, but four of those were free. So ha.

In related news, police in San Diego arrested 75 drug dealers working a college campus. Items seized were 2 kilograms of cocaine, 350 Ecstasy pills, marijuana, psychedelic mushrooms, hashish oil, methamphetamine, illicit prescription drugs, several guns and at least $60,000 in cash. So ha. :P

Rjeso
05-07-2008, 06:38 AM
Baseball is not a drug. Baseball is love, baby.

Jimmy
05-07-2008, 06:39 AM
Baseball is not a drug. Baseball is love, baby.

I couldn't help but notice you licking your lips as you said that. :P

Rjeso
05-07-2008, 06:44 AM
IT'S DRY IN HERE!

Jimmy
05-07-2008, 06:52 AM
IT'S DRY IN HERE!

So to combat this, we're moving to Las Vegas, Nevada? :scared:

Rjeso
05-07-2008, 06:55 AM
Shush, you're fired.

Jimmy
05-07-2008, 06:58 AM
Shush, you're fired.

But... I have 9 gazillion baseballs at home to feed! Whatever shall I do?!

Daghain
05-07-2008, 09:46 AM
:rofl:

Rjeso
05-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Don't encourage him. <_<

:lol:

Jimmy
05-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Encourage him!!! :thumbsup:

Do as she asks, the world will be a better place for it.

:evil:

Rjeso
05-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Up to your fifth-grade tricks again, my dear?

Jimmy
05-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Up to your fifth-grade tricks again, my dear?

How else am I gonna stay out of summer school unless I knuckle down, straighten up, fly right and all the other crap I was told to do as a boy so that I could become a cog in the machine they were training me for?

alinda
05-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Ahhhhh young love, how fondly I recall:lol:

Rjeso
05-07-2008, 03:53 PM

Yeah, it's a dewy doe-eyed sort of thing, innit?