PDA

View Full Version : SPOILERS GALORE!!! The Dark Tower Concordance, Robin Furth

Míchéal
05-02-2008, 12:05 PM
There wasn't a thread on this so here we are.
Discuss, question and do all you please regarding the Concordance.
Personally I find it an endless and orgasmic wealth of information.

Let's discuss....

Daghain
05-02-2008, 12:52 PM
I absolutely love this book. You could spend days going through it and still not see it all.

Míchéal
05-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Yeah it's fun fun fun, I just pick it up, open a random page and read for hours.

Daghain
05-02-2008, 01:51 PM
Yeah, that is kind of fun. :)

Wuducynn
05-02-2008, 01:58 PM
Personally I find it an endless and orgasmic wealth of information.

I wouldn't say "endless" but definitely orgasmic. Love your description here. Yes, I can't get enough of mine. I will probably be buying another copy too, to have for when I'm at work on here and can't find that one damn bit of essential Dark Tower information. Especially for Trivia. :harrier:

alinda
05-02-2008, 02:12 PM
thats when I give those completely unimpressive answers.

CyberGhostface
05-02-2008, 06:33 PM
It was helpful to me when I reread the series.

obscurejude
05-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Monte convinced me not to buy one.

<--------------- Concordance Free

Wuducynn
05-02-2008, 08:41 PM
http://students.cs.byu.edu/~rp272/Virtual%20Zoo/sheep.jpg

obscurejude
05-02-2008, 08:45 PM
http://www.clipartof.com/images/emoticons/thumbnail2/1928_middle_finger.gif

Wuducynn
05-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Hey thats a really cool smiley. You're still a sheep though.

obscurejude
05-02-2008, 08:56 PM
"And he will separate them from one another (when Christ judges the nations), as the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats: and He will put the sheep on the His right, and the goats on the left...Then He will also say to those on the left, Depart from me accursed ones..." (Mathew 26:34, 41a)

Jean
05-02-2008, 11:08 PM
like obscure, I'm Concordance free

I have nothing against it (when last time in London, I leafed through it in bookstores), but as there's no description without interpretation, I'd rather not have anything between myself and the DT.

MonteGss
05-03-2008, 02:41 AM

I have nothing against it (when last time in London, I leafed through it in bookstores), but as there's no description without interpretation, I'd rather not have anything between myself and the DT.

I wasn't even going to post in this thread I'm so anti-concordance but these two posts have convinced me to. :D

jude, Jean....you guys rule!
I like to think of this book as a) The Dark Tower: A Cheap, Abridged Imitation and b) Trivia Cheaters Handbook.
:rofl:

Míchéal
05-03-2008, 03:45 AM
Cheating is essential sometimes...

Míchéal
05-03-2008, 03:48 AM
...especially with your questions. :)

compliment that is.

Wuducynn
05-03-2008, 06:51 AM
I like to think of it as a nice compilation of information for the TRUE Dark Tower fan.. ;)

Girlystevedave
05-03-2008, 07:25 AM
That's one of the reasons I bought the concordance. I want to get my hands on anything that allows me to go deeper into the story.

Wuducynn
05-03-2008, 07:30 AM
Smart lady :harrier:

Girlystevedave
05-03-2008, 07:34 AM

I hear that all the time ;)
But seriously, my mom made fun of me for getting the concordance. She said: "You actually need a concordance to read the story? It's that long?" and laughed. After she read the story, she was more: "So, what exactly is in the concordance?"
I was like: " I told you so!"

Wuducynn
05-03-2008, 07:37 AM

I hear that all the time ;)
But seriously, my mom made fun of me for getting the concordance. She said: "You actually need a concordance to read the story? It's that long?" and laughed. After she read the story, she was more: "So, what exactly is in the concordance?"
I was like: " I told you so!"

Did you point and laugh at her too, just to rub it in? :D You don't NEED it to read the saga, but its just great for quick reference for such a complex story. Its a great overview.

Girlystevedave
05-03-2008, 07:38 AM
Agreed!

jayson
05-03-2008, 09:17 AM
You don't NEED it to read the saga, but its just great for quick reference for such a complex story. Its a great overview.

that is very true. part of the reason it maks such a great reference is that it does provide book/page # refererences so when you want to look up such and such part to re-read the text there is a quick place to look and find out which pages you are looking for. it can't replace the source material, but it definitely complements it nicely. i love my concordance.

Daghain
05-03-2008, 09:59 AM
I initially bought it to help with doing the Towerpedia, but it's amazing the stuff that's in there. It's easier to go there first, and then go back to the books to find what you want for an article. Otherwise I'd be spending a lot of time looking for a particular reference.

And as far as trivia goes, I've spent as much time going through the Concordance looking for an answer sometimes as I do the books, so it's not necessarily easy to "cheat" if you have one. You still need to have an idea of what you're looking for. :P

obscurejude
05-03-2008, 10:03 AM

I wasn't even going to post in this thread I'm so anti-concordance but these two posts have convinced me to. :D

jude, Jean....you guys rule!
I like to think of this book as a) The Dark Tower: A Cheap, Abridged Imitation and b) Trivia Cheaters Handbook.
:rofl:

:grouphug:

ZoNeSeeK
05-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Im the same, i found that both the Concordance and Road helped me have a fuller understanding of King's universe.

The Concordance is a reference book, like the Dune Encyclopedia, its not a 'version' of anything... and i never really get to use it for Trivia because its always at home and i use DT mainly from work :P