PDA

View Full Version : Getting the drop on Roland

Matt
05-01-2008, 03:46 PM
I just re read Everythings Eventual with this story in it and its so wild how easily Roland was taken.

It just never occurred to me that this was another case of someone getting the drop on him after what happened at the Circle K in Wizard and Glass.

So anyway, does Roland just not cover his rear or what? :lol:

Wuducynn
05-01-2008, 04:00 PM
Good idea for a thread, Matt my man.. :thumbsup:

I have noticed that there have been times where folk have been able or almost able to get the drop on Roland before...I believe it was Aaron Deepneau's neice who sneaked up on Roland too. Just shows that even though he is amazing in so many ways, he is definitely human.

blackrose22
05-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Every now and again even the best have an off day.

Wuducynn
05-02-2008, 05:52 AM
I just re read Everythings Eventual with this story in it and its so wild how easily Roland was taken.

It just never occurred to me that this was another case of someone getting the drop on him after what happened at the Circle K in Wizard and Glass.

So anyway, does Roland just not cover his rear or what? :lol:

Oh and by "Circle K" I'm assuming you're not talking about the convenience store chain, but the "Bar K"? ;)

jayson
05-02-2008, 05:58 AM
Oh and by "Circle K" I'm assuming you're not talking about the convenience store chain, but the "Bar K"? ;)

you don't remember when roland went into the circle k for a couple of hot dogs and almost got his head blown off?

Matt
05-02-2008, 06:05 AM
Hey! I got the K right at least. :lol:

jayson
05-02-2008, 06:34 AM
it's your b-day, you get a freebie on that one

Wuducynn
05-02-2008, 07:39 AM

you don't remember when roland went into the circle k for a couple of hot dogs and almost got his head blown off?

Now that you mention it, I do. He was sucking down a Slurpee too..

jayson
05-02-2008, 07:45 AM
Now that you mention it, I do. He was sucking down a Slurpee too..

whoa, careful now. Isn't "Slurpee" a patented 7-11 product? i don't know what Circle-K calls their version. :)

Unfound One
05-02-2008, 08:02 AM
"Circle K has what you need, no matter what the craving. Including your favorite brands like Ben & Jerry® and Dolly Madison® .

We carry an awesome selection of your favorite ice cold fountain drinks, bottled beverages in just about every size, energy drinks, and the freshest dairy. One of our favorite sellers is ICEE®. Read ICEE: The Untold Story about how this popular frozen carbonated drink can change a life forever.

Circle K is the place for the over-21 crowd to pick up their favorite brands of beer, wine, and spirits - all under one roof.

When it comes to hot, there's always something tasty in the oven or on-the-grill, like sizzling hot dogs and cheesy nachos with all the toppings. Many locations offer delicious specialty foods like pizza, fresh sandwiches, ethnic foods, and much more."

Source - www.circlek.com

jayson
05-02-2008, 08:04 AM
you rule SJ.

obscurejude
05-02-2008, 08:05 AM
you rule SJ.

Strongly seconded

Unfound One
05-02-2008, 08:06 AM
But, but, but... I'm so off topic!
I haven't even read Everything's Eventual...
I shouldn't even be in this thread. :lol:

Wuducynn
05-02-2008, 08:19 AM
You definitely need to read it, especially Little Sisters of Eluria and Everythings Eventual.

Unfound One
05-02-2008, 08:21 AM
That's the plan for this summer, to read as much as possible.
I'm calling it the Summer of Stephen King.
It's gonna be great. :)

Wuducynn
05-09-2008, 06:13 AM
That's the plan for this summer, to read as much as possible.
I'm calling it the Summer of Stephen King.
It's gonna be great. :)

Now that you're done with Insomnia you should read Little Sisters of Eluria! The way you tore through Insomnia, it'll probably take you a day to read, maybe half. :rock:

John Blaze
05-09-2008, 10:05 AM
SJ, do you have Everything's Eventual? I can send you a copy, i think I have two.

Besides, Roland only had the problem at Circle K because of brain freeze. It dulled his spider senses.

Unfound One
05-09-2008, 01:36 PM
:lol:
I'm pming you right now. :)

theBeamisHome
06-04-2008, 11:36 AM
I thought about this and after finding out the timeline of the events I think maybe Roland was stricken with grief over his friends' (and basically everyone he knew) deaths. I mean I know he's Roland and everything, but that has to be a lot to handle.

LemurJones
06-05-2008, 05:59 PM
I agree with Beamhome. Roland is still wee sad miss-mah-friends Roland, he's not gross old friends-who-needs-em Roland. Plus, he probably has a lot on his mind.

Woofer
06-06-2008, 02:55 AM
Gross? That's one adjective I've never thought of in relation to Roland.

In addition to being grief-stricken, I think he was ill at the time. I'll need to check the story to confirm, but it's 20 whole feet away and I'm still on my first cup of coffee!

Hallvard
06-30-2008, 04:07 AM
I must've slipped the whole Bar K deal. What's it all about? I can't even seem to remember reading the name.. :/

And yeah, I have read W&G.

ManOfWesternesse
06-30-2008, 04:27 AM
I must've slipped the whole Bar K deal. What's it all about? I can't even seem to remember reading the name.. :/

And yeah, I have read W&G.

The Bar-K was the abandoned ranch which the boys used as their base in Mejis. (Well - the ranch-house was burned down, but the Bunkhouse was still there & they used that).

Mist_on_the_Water
06-30-2008, 05:56 AM
has anyone ever noticed that "Bar K", when put together, is the word "bark"?

okay random but it just popped into my head....

LadyHitchhiker
10-19-2008, 08:56 AM
I thought it was interesting how the piano man almost got the drop on Roland in the first book!

Wuducynn
10-20-2008, 07:15 AM
I thought it was interesting how the piano man almost got the drop on Roland in the first book!

That was an almost. In this story he did. Like I said it's just an example that he is not perfect.

cozener
10-27-2008, 03:19 PM
I would agree. There is such a thing as being too much of a badass and I got enough of the whole built in radar ability from the action heroes of the 80s. So Roland has a weakness...and its his backside. And thats ok.

LadyHitchhiker
10-27-2008, 03:29 PM
I thought the lobstrosities sure got the drop on him!

BillyxRansom
03-24-2009, 12:31 PM
WHAT IS THIS "DROP ON" BUSINESS.

sorry. haha

pixiedark76
03-24-2009, 01:42 PM
I think that Roland underestimated his opponents. He thought that they were just wimpy slow mutants. He also got to cocky because he thought that his guns could beat anybody.
Plus he was also tired from traveling.

soylentjillian
03-27-2009, 05:05 PM
The only one that ever got the true drop on him was his father, if I remember correctly. Everyone got close but he defeated them. If his father chose to kill him he easily could have done so.

Whiskeybent
12-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Didn't read the entire thread, but also remember Eddie was able to sneak up on Roland in Wastelands when Roland was distracted by the voices. Seems that Roland's senses are especially fallible when he is distracted. I am sure a group of slow mutants showing up when he least expected them, was enough for him to be distracted enough for a mutant to get the better of him. But, as we know; Roland is nothing if not adaptable. Im sure that was a learning experience for him.

Like all of you I was bothered by how easily he was ambushed here.

Wuducynn
12-27-2009, 10:30 PM

I wasn't bothered by it, because Roland is not perfect by any stretch and sometimes his senses are less than perfect. As you posted a good example of.

Letti
12-28-2009, 01:44 AM

I wasn't bothered by it, because Roland is not perfect by any stretch and sometimes his senses are less than perfect. As you posted a good example of.

Yes. Perfect things are boring (and not too life-like) so I was happy with as it was.

JameseyLefebure
12-28-2009, 03:14 AM
I read little sisters years ago so the details a little hazy - but in general - i like it when Roland gets snuck up on - i think it goes to show that like everyone has been saying - he's still human!! :) Which is a good thing!!! :)

Jamesey
xxxx

costanza
01-01-2010, 11:18 AM

That was an almost. In this story he did. Like I said it's just an example that he is not perfect.

Yeah, I wouldn't say that Sheb was even close to having the drop on Roland.

Nort the weed eater on the other hand gets him good. Tapping him on the shoulder even. lol

gordoballs
01-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Not sure if this fits, but what about Dandelo. He almost gets the best of Roland in DT7.

lead dealer
01-19-2010, 01:08 PM
As any good solder will tell you. You cannot be at the top of your game 24/7, the best you can do is look like you are and hope no one actuly tries you when you are slacking.

Roland proves that despite many years of training and "field work" that even the best of us can be "gotten" every once in a wile.

Myrtok
02-16-2010, 10:40 AM
This is pretty much what I hate about Little Sisters. Roland doesn't do anything throughout the whole story except realize that he has to hold onto that kid's golden amulet for protection. He gets his rear end handed to him by the slow mutants and should have been dead at that point. Then, he gets trapped by the vampire women, and couldn't defeat them either. Instead, he is rescued by the young vampire woman (can't remember her name). At the end, he and the young vampire would have been killed as well if not for a freak dog attack.

Basically, this story has nothing to do with the Gunslinger or the whole DT series. Sai King could have written the story just as well by substituting another new character for Roland and setting it in a different place.

Letti
02-25-2010, 01:55 PM
This is pretty much what I hate about Little Sisters. Roland doesn't do anything throughout the whole story except realize that he has to hold onto that kid's golden amulet for protection.
As if we had read two different stories.

Basically, this story has nothing to do with the Gunslinger or the whole DT series. Sai King could have written the story just as well by substituting another new character for Roland and setting it in a different place.
Well I accept your opinion but I couldn't disagree more. When I read this short story I had finished the series quite a long time ago and when I started reading this one I felt like jumping right back to that world. That moving world of the gunslinger. And I was so happy with it. I felt like a starving junkie getting her fix.
I don't say I didn't need any time to get used to the younger version of Roland but it didn't take long.
So for me this short story is absolutely part of the DT universe.

lowdown
04-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Letti is right ....just another fix for me like smack or something .....i read it for the first time 1 month ago .....a year after i finished the DT series .....15 years since i started it ..........anyway Roland was young and not quite as on point like we know him .......sometimes he seems superhuman ....and then sometimes like a normal human......the dandello thing is a good example though

and sai king is just as bad ......sometimes "slipping" on his job ...just like the world ...it is all slippage in the long run :scared::scared::scared: