PDA

View Full Version : so i'm starting this poll here. i wanna know where you stand...

razz
04-24-2008, 05:22 PM
-

Wuducynn
04-25-2008, 01:43 PM
I'm against patenting, period.

jayson
04-25-2008, 01:48 PM
i am against the patenting of things like this, and patenting in general.

blackrose22
04-26-2008, 02:00 AM
I voted against patenting because the only want to make millions form cures/vaccinations they might discover and not for the common good of the people of the world.
You should read Michael Crichtons book NEXT and see what could happen when genes might be patented. It's fiction with black humour but is scary too.

LadyHitchhiker
04-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Anyone read Michael Crichtons latest?

LadyHitchhiker
04-26-2008, 01:48 PM
(p.s. this is relevant)

Jon
04-26-2008, 10:08 PM
This is not a poll that is clear to me.

I see no choice that says they can do the research but not patent it.

Or am I missing something?

ladysai
04-26-2008, 10:15 PM
Who could truly claim the map of creation as their own work?
Isnt that what patents are for, is to protect someone's idea?
Who on earth will step up and prove they had the idea for the dna sequence?
Ridiculous.

alinda
04-27-2008, 07:45 AM
:thumbsup:

Ridiculous.

Brice
04-28-2008, 06:04 AM
Ridiculous.

Oh, allright...I will. :P

Brice
04-28-2008, 06:37 AM
Ridiculous.

Oh, allright...I will. :P

i can claim creation. but someone will probably sue me for patent infringement.

Yes, I've already made my claim to it. I'm sorry I'd have to sue. :P

Brice
04-28-2008, 06:58 AM
:lol:

alinda
04-28-2008, 08:13 AM
I too am a creator, we all are ! But
to hold a patent on human genes is bull,
besides anything mankind touches gets
fubar sooner or later, the consequences
seem to me to be dangerous. ( IMHO)

Míchéal
04-28-2008, 10:18 AM
OH MY GOD!!!!! I just checked out the links, this is a fucking outrage!!!

razz
04-28-2008, 12:58 PM

i am glad i have informed at least one person with this poll

people, who as far as i know have check out the links:1

Woofer
04-29-2008, 03:08 AM

i am glad i have informed at least one person with this poll

people, who as far as i know have check out the links:1

Not seeing any positive reason for posting a comment of that nature.

razz
04-29-2008, 05:17 AM
who knows why we do what we do. i just felt like posting that. Do you wish for me to retract thet statement?

Matt
04-29-2008, 08:32 AM
6 of one, half dozen of another. :rock:

Woofer
04-29-2008, 11:49 AM
who knows why we do what we do.
The Shadow. He also knows what evil lurks in the heart of men, etc.

Do you wish for me to retract thet statement?
Absolutely not. I was merely making an observation on the nature of the statement.

6 of one, half dozen of another. :rock:
Matt! Are you suggesting that razz2008 and I splice genes?! I'm not sure Mr. Woofer would be too keen on that prospect...

Incidentally, I voted Kill them all and let Ceiling Cat sort them out.

razz
04-29-2008, 01:42 PM
i have spliced the genes of a man, a bear, and a pig. i call it...
Manbearpig.

Ka-tet
04-30-2008, 02:17 AM
What is what? with who and where? :S

I dont understand what we are discussing, maby if somone could shed light on the topic i could discuss ><

razz
04-30-2008, 05:24 AM
Gene patenting. This occurs when a scientist discovers a gene that affects a certain trait, behavior, or illness. there are genes that code for hair color, eye color, height etc. this does not mean there is an exclusive gene for each ne, but parts of genes contribute to that. when a new gene is found a scientist will work to understand what thet gene does, and if he finds something of value in that gene, he will patent it. the problem with this is that people have to liscence the gene, usually for millions of dollars, in order to study it, or hae to pay a high fee to test for a disease that acts apon that gene. this inhibits research, and progress is halted, studies sometimes abandoned. gene patents protect user rights, but they also cause drugs which cost pennies to produce, to cost tens of thousands of dollars.

Ka-tet
04-30-2008, 08:57 AM
razz lest assume youre talking to somone who hardly understands the world, im 16 xD

I didnt understand a lot of what you said. Can you put it in silly terms for me please? xD

Matt
04-30-2008, 02:16 PM
Meaning...

Lets say I have a gene that cures cancer. The found it because I got it and then cured myself (example)

Someone researches that gene and finds out it cures cancer, then patents it. This may sound crazy but it is coming. You may be thinking the gene is in my body so I own it...nope. It belongs to whoever discovered it.

So then this person (who owns the patent) is able to charge for the right for people to do research or study it.

razz
04-30-2008, 06:08 PM
put it like this. there is a cure for aids. someone wants to market it, but they find out that the gene the drug acts apon is owned by...say...BioSyn. this means, the first company has to pay to test the drug, as well as market it.
Or...A company discover a gene that can cure cancer. he can patent the gene, then make a drug for pennies, charging whatever price he wants, because it's his.

razz
04-30-2008, 06:09 PM
I would also advise anyone interested to look up the court case "Moore Vs. Regents of University of California"

one of the first genetics cases.

Ka-tet
05-06-2008, 05:01 AM
Lets go with the cure for cancer thing, if i a geane was discoverd in my body(or anyone elses) that cures cancer i belive it should be avialable to anyone, it should not be arketed or used to make profit...EVER!

Am i voicing my opinion on the correct subject?

jayson
05-06-2008, 05:05 AM
Lets go with the cure for cancer thing, if i a geane was discoverd in my body(or anyone elses) that cures cancer i belive it should be avialable to anyone, it should not be arketed or used to make profit...EVER!

Am i voicing my opinion on the correct subject?

You've got it correct Ka-tet.
I agree with your opinion as well.

Ka-tet
05-06-2008, 05:16 AM
But now i come to think of it, i dont think ive ever heard of a cure or help for a serious life thretening illness be denied to anyone, paying customer or not. What about you guys?

jayson
05-06-2008, 05:18 AM
But now i come to think of it, i dont think ive ever heard of a cure or help for a serious life thretening illness be denied to anyone, paying customer or not. What about you guys?

perhaps not a "cure" but certainly treatments. for example, there are several generic versions of medications to treat AIDS that are being held back from developing countries so these poor countries are forced to pay the pharmaceutical companies big bucks for the name brand of the same drug.

Ka-tet
05-06-2008, 05:20 AM
I didnt know that. I knew there were drugs that keep aids in check(for a certain ammount of time at least), but i never herad about them not being available to certain countries.