PDA

View Full Version : What Are You Currently Reading: Comics

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

David
05-19-2007, 04:53 PM
Recent aquisition is the trade paperback of the WE3 miniseries.

It is incredibly well illustrated, action-packed and touching.

The story is about three housepets (a dog, a cat and a rabbit) that have been turned into cyborg war machines. When the goverrnment program plans to 'decommision' them, they make a run for it.

Most of the dialog is by the animals themselves as they have been enhanced to be able to speak.

Eventhough this title is a bit violent, the theme of the story is much more than that. It's about three housepets who are simply trying to get 'home'.

Jimmy
05-29-2007, 07:25 PM
WE3 was pretty sweet. I'll read anything Morrison writes, because he's better than most of the writers out there.

Incidently, it's been stated, though not officially confirmed, that the WE3 crew were meant as a precursor to Wolverine in Weapon X. Though WE3 is not a Marvel book, the Weapon Plus program stated that animals were used as test subjects at one point. Both stories were written by Grant Morrison.

Arthur Heath
04-24-2008, 09:12 AM
I figure between the popularity of the original WAYCR thread and the amount of comic fans we would be able to support a WAYCR: Comics post. This will also give us some recommendations on good material. So I'll start us off...

Im in the middle of Warren Ellis' gritty cop drama, Fell, from Image comics. The stories are ones that only a mind like Ellis can come up with and Ben Templesmith unique stylized artistic style just adds to the dirty feeling of this great comic. It's a good pickup if you want something other than super heroes for a change.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee28/JToddHash/fell-1.jpg

fernandito
04-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Good idea :thumbsup:

I'm currently reading Marvel's Secret Invasion, the DT comics, and I recently started collecting Cable.

Arthur Heath
04-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Who's writing Cable these days? He still toting that baby around from Messiah X?

fernandito
04-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Oh man, I couldn't tell ya - it came free with my purchase of Secret Invasion :lol: Truth be told , I've never been particularly big on the X-Men, with the exception of Wolverine.

I'll look at the artist(s) when i get home and post them here.

Patrick
04-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Such a great yet simple thread idea, I'm amazed no one thought of it before!

Currently reading:

Sandman, Vol. 7? (I forget which volume I'm on)

The Long Road Home

Locke and Key, issues #2 and #3

Arthur Heath
04-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Erin - I think you would like this one as a fan of post apocalyptic story lines. I just finished The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman:

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee28/JToddHash/walkingdead.jpg

From the Introduction - Good Zombie movies show us how messed up we are, they make us question our station in society and our society's station in the world.

Good read in BW so it's a cheap purchase, especially as graphic novels go.

Matt
04-25-2008, 11:49 AM
I have been collecting and reading some Conan graphic novels that are coming out. Very good stuff that I can get at Borders :lol:

Also, through the grace of friends, the Long Road Home.

LadyHitchhiker
04-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Sam and Max!!!!!!!

OchrisO
04-25-2008, 12:10 PM
I've been re-reading old Fables issue and catching up on issues that i missed before, plus keeping up with The Walking Dead. Prior to that it was Planetary and The Authority.

Arthur Heath
04-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Chris - you read Robert Kirkmans (Walking Dead) other creation, Battle Pope?

'If Im not teaching Mass, I'm out kickin ass.'

fernandito
04-25-2008, 12:30 PM
The covers for those Pope comics are fucking awesome! :lol:

turtlex
04-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Great topic!

Lets see - I am reading the DT comics and collecting them as well. Also, I read Daredevil. I particularily enjoy the Frank Miller DDs, back from like 20 years ago. I re-read those a lot.

I also tend to re-read some X-Men. Extinction Agenda is completely AWESOME and the whole Dark Phoenix arc is great.

Matt
04-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Love everything mentioned turtlex--I remember when those Miller DD's were hitting the rack, they are amazing.

OchrisO
04-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Chris - you read Robert Kirkmans (Walking Dead) other creation, Battle Pope?

'If Im not teaching Mass, I'm out kickin ass.'

I've read a couple issues of Battle Pope, but it was a long time ago, before The Walking Dead. I don't even remember much about them. Kirkman is from near where I live and a friend had shown me some Battle Pope issues years ago.

I'd like to read some of Invincible as well, but have never gotten around to it.

Jimmy
04-28-2008, 09:42 AM
Walking Dead - Every issue, my heart gets broken, and I only want more.

The Boys - Dark and tasteless.

Umbrella Academy - Once I got over the shock of loving a book written by the
guy from My Chemical Romance, I enjoyed it even more.

Wolverine : Origins - It's made Logan relevant again in my eyes.

X-Factor - Peter David is my hero.

Runaways - Even though it's a monthly that only seems to come out once a year.

blackrose22
04-28-2008, 04:03 PM
Just got the hard back edition of The Gunslinger Born which is fantastic. So looking forward to next batch of DT comics.

Arthur Heath
04-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Walking Dead - Every issue, my heart gets broken, and I only want more.

The Boys - Dark and tasteless.

Umbrella Academy - Once I got over the shock of loving a book written by the
guy from My Chemical Romance, I enjoyed it even more.

Wolverine : Origins - It's made Logan relevant again in my eyes.

X-Factor - Peter David is my hero.

Runaways - Even though it's a monthly that only seems to come out once a year.

The Boys is tasteless... Garth Ennis is my hero.

Brainslinger
04-29-2008, 09:49 AM
I've got all the Gunslinger Born comics, minus the trade paperback. I'm kinda tempted, but it feels a bit of a waste since I've got the entire thing in issue form... and more material besides with the back stories. I plan on getting a slipcase folder of some kind, that way I get the best of both worlds.

I'm currently getting The Long Road Home (not too long to the next issue now!)

I also subscribe to 2000 AD. In case you haven't heard of it, it's a British science fiction anthology mag. As an anthology there are pros and cons.

Pros, there are plenty of material and variety. And if you dislike some there are plenty of others to like.

Cons: each episode is only 5-6 pages in length as the rest of the space is filled with other strips. Sometimes one would rather get their teeth into one character and story. Many are collected into trade paperbacks later though so it's possible to get the best of both worlds. Again I feel disinclined to go for those if I've already got the story in the mags. Unfortunately the folder route doesn't work as it would for the Gunslinger comics due to the anthology nature. (Could do that with scan and print myself of course but that feels like a waste of paper. ;) )

It comes weekly, so it's a nice thing to dip into regularly though.

Old Man Splitfoot
04-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Been reading X-Men and pretty much all the spinoff books for most of my life, though I haven't been seriously collecting them till about four years ago, give or take. Now I'm really liking Ed Brubaker's Captain America run, which is surprising, considering I never much cared for Cap, until he died. Haven't made it out to the comic shop in a while, though.

razz
04-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Anyone else a big fan?

Seymour_Glass
05-14-2008, 05:48 PM
I love Grant Morrison. I want to read We3 so bad. I wish that Borders would stock that, more of the Invisibles and New X-Men.

Seymour_Glass
05-31-2008, 11:37 AM
I finally started Sandman, read the first two volumes, and loved the hell out of 'em.

Y:the Last Man- I've read the first 5 trades, haven't picked up any individual issues, and it's too late now.

I love Astonishing X-Men. Need to get the Giant-Sized issue.

Runaways. Can't wait to pick up the latest trade with Joss Whedon's run.

The Invisibles has become possibly my favorite comic ever. Combine the best parts of The Matrix (which ripped of The Invisibles so bad), mysticism and counterculture. It adds up to love.

All Star Superman is amazing.

I've been looking for the first volume of New X-Men, but everywhere I go they don't have it. It's very depressing.

Brainslinger
06-01-2008, 02:37 PM
I recently got Animal Man from the library, good read.
Second collection of Swamp Thing by Alan Moore. I highly recommend Alan Moore's stuff.

Oh and a couple of Judge Dredd books. Kind of filling in the back stories of the character as I missed a lot of that having only been reading 2000AD since last year. There's another man in the gunslinger mold. Darker in some ways than even Roland. (Don't believe the Stalone movie.) And they've got a blasted lands on their doorstep- The Cursed Earth.

fernandito
06-01-2008, 06:19 PM
I think The Last Halloween is my new favorite Batman TPB.

:drool:

LemurJones
06-05-2008, 02:02 PM
I just read American Splendor by Harvey Pekar.

I really loved the movie and I'm really glad that I liked the graphic novel too.

Rjeso
06-10-2008, 08:37 AM
I just polished off Supreme Power 1-12 in two nights. :lol:

fernandito
06-10-2008, 09:13 AM
Newest additions to my personal library:

Fables Vol. 9
Y : The Last Man Vol. 2
Secret Invasion - 3 of 8
The Dark Tower - 4 of 5
Final Crisis - 1 of 7

On FC - I'm not really much of a DC fan outside of Batman, but I figured I'd pick up Final Crisis since it looked promising. I read the first issue yesterday, and I gotta admit I have no idea what the hell is going on. I felt as if every page is from a different comic book, and the fact that I don't recognize %75 of the characters probably doesn't help. I wonder if I should just cut my losses and not pick up the remaining volumes as they're released, or...

Arthur Heath
06-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Planetary Vol. 2 & 3
Ex Machina Vol. 3 (cant start until vol 1-2 come in the mail)
Ocean

As far as the DC thing Feev, why is it every major story arc in DC called Crisis?
Just to name a few:
Crisis on Infinite Earths
Zero Crisis
Identity Crisis
and finally
Final Crisis

We get it already. Sheesh

fernandito
06-10-2008, 11:40 AM
I really have no idea, I guess they think it's a smart marketing strategy? *shrug*

And apparently many people had complains for the first FC issue as well :

Final Crisis #2 - DC - $3.99
Writer: Grant Morrison | Artist: J.G. Jones
Reaction to the first issue of Final Crisis was a bit mixed. Many complained that it was too slow while others had issues with the accessibility. Others still didn't like the manner in which many scenes were constructed. Though it started on a slightly off note, we're still very optimistic this series will deliver. There's no reason to give up on this one right now.

UnderTheKillingMoon
06-13-2008, 10:11 AM
Testament

the long road home

soon to start the Sandman series

fernandito
06-13-2008, 10:52 AM

The best GC series ever. :thumbsup:

educatedlady
06-13-2008, 11:19 AM
I just started reading Suburban Glamour. I have #1 &2 and need to invest in 3&4.

Rjeso
06-13-2008, 11:38 AM
Sandman = <3

fernandito
06-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Oh come on, you can multi task! :lol:

razz
06-13-2008, 02:22 PM
megatokyo vol. 5

Brainslinger
06-13-2008, 06:06 PM
I recent purchased Serenity:Those left behind.

A nice little read. Essentially another episode of Firefly fitting between the series and the film, Serenity.

I would have liked it to have been longer mind. And there were one of two things that could have worked better, but it was still good for all that, and captured the characters very well as well as tying up a couple of threads left dangling after the series. And very lush art.

UnderTheKillingMoon
06-13-2008, 09:13 PM

The best GC series ever. :thumbsup:

so i'm told. i'm not too keen on the artwork, but i'll get over it. Testament is amazing right now

OchrisO
06-13-2008, 09:14 PM
You will most likely get so involved in the story that you won't even realize it has art.

Brainslinger
06-17-2008, 01:17 PM
The art in the Sandman series is pretty varied anyway.

Overall, I rather like the Sandman books, just finished another in fact (I forget the name but it was the second volume.)

Matt
06-17-2008, 01:48 PM
I'm now listening to "The Good Guy" by Koontz, hope its good. :rock:

Holy crap, this is a comics thread.

Okay, so I am reading Wolverine: The End at home

Jimmy
06-18-2008, 06:24 PM
As far as the DC thing Feev, why is it every major story arc in DC called Crisis?
Just to name a few:
Crisis on Infinite Earths
Zero Crisis
Identity Crisis
and finally
Final Crisis

We get it already. Sheesh

Crisis on Infinite Earths is acceptable cause it came first.

Zero Hour is what it's actually called.

Identity Crisis never happened. It's all lies, it never happened or was published ever. Brad Meltzer has never worked for DC Comics, it never happened. You're mistaken. La la la la la la la la la.

Final Crisis is the sequel to CoIE and will close the loop started by CoIE, so it's acceptable. I don't see what the problem is.

Girlystevedave
07-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Okay, I just finished Sandman- Preludes and Nocturnes.

Now, I'm kinda going between both Sandman- The Doll's House, ....and John Constantine - Original Sins

Seymour_Glass
07-13-2008, 07:36 AM
Identity Crisis never happened. It's all lies, it never happened or was published ever. Brad Meltzer has never worked for DC Comics, it never happened. You're mistaken. La la la la la la la la la.

Blasphemy. Identity Crisis was awesome.

LadyHitchhiker
07-13-2008, 09:03 AM
star trek year 4... that's what I'm reading and sam & max..

Girlystevedave
07-13-2008, 09:32 AM
I'm about 70 pages into my Constantine comic, and I must say..I am not that impressed. It's not really 'grabbing' me, and the artwork is just so....flat,it seems.
Maybe it will pick up. :unsure: I hope so, otherwise I'll be forced to finish it anyway. (OCD)

LadyHitchhiker
07-13-2008, 09:38 AM
I would love to make "rocket man" with william shatner into a comic... :rofl:

Jimmy
07-14-2008, 04:22 AM

When exactly was it awesome? Was it when an innocent and fun Sue Dibny was murdered, the positive pregnency test in the gift wrapped box that her husband found afterwards, or when she was being raped? Was it when Green Arrow went completely against character and voted to brainwash Batman? Maybe it was during the investigation when half the heroes they had in the Dibny's apartment could've easily figured out who the killer was by sniffing the air? Perhaps it was awesome when they killed Jack Drake and Captain Boomerang and all we got in return was a Captain Boomerang with no accent and an eyebrow ring?

A good comics story is supposed to give back to the continuity, but all this story did was take. We lost the Dibny's, The Atom & Jean Loring, Robin's dad, Captain Boomerang and trust in the JLA.

Style over substance, and too many comics readers focused on Meltzer's flashy hand, and didn't see the other hand shoveling crap on to the DCU.

We had this taken away:

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/1451/headzq4.jpg

And we were given this:
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/3302/crisis1au0.jpg

I don't know where the awesome comes in, because all I see is tragedy and loss.

Jimmy
07-14-2008, 04:50 AM
I'm about 70 pages into my Constantine comic, and I must say..I am not that impressed. It's not really 'grabbing' me, and the artwork is just so....flat,it seems.
Maybe it will pick up. :unsure: I hope so, otherwise I'll be forced to finish it anyway. (OCD)

Some would argue that Hellblazer never really picked up until Ennis took over writing with issue 41. I'm one of those people.

Girlystevedave
07-14-2008, 04:56 AM
Issue 41?!
:nope: I don't see me possessing that much patience.

Jimmy
07-14-2008, 05:01 AM
Issue 41?!
:nope: I don't see me possessing that much patience.

Skip ahead. It won't kill you.

Girlystevedave
07-14-2008, 05:01 AM
I don't know if my OCD tendencies would allow it. :unsure:

Jimmy
07-14-2008, 05:04 AM
I don't know if my OCD tendencies would allow it. :unsure:

Pretend it's Vol. 4 Issue 1, instead of issue 41.

Girlystevedave
07-14-2008, 05:21 AM
:lol:...Won't work.
My mind is crafty. No sneaking things past it, I tell ya.

Seymour_Glass
07-14-2008, 09:59 AM

When exactly was it awesome? Was it when an innocent and fun Sue Dibny was murdered, the positive pregnency test in the gift wrapped box that her husband found afterwards, or when she was being raped? Was it when Green Arrow went completely against character and voted to brainwash Batman? Maybe it was during the investigation when half the heroes they had in the Dibny's apartment could've easily figured out who the killer was by sniffing the air? Perhaps it was awesome when they killed Jack Drake and Captain Boomerang and all we got in return was a Captain Boomerang with no accent and an eyebrow ring?

A good comics story is supposed to give back to the continuity, but all this story did was take. We lost the Dibny's, The Atom & Jean Loring, Robin's dad, Captain Boomerang and trust in the JLA.

Style over substance, and too many comics readers focused on Meltzer's flashy hand, and didn't see the other hand shoveling crap on to the DCU.

We had this taken away:

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/1451/headzq4.jpg

And we were given this:
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/3302/crisis1au0.jpg

I don't know where the awesome comes in, because all I see is tragedy and loss.

Well, I liked it. I cried. And it was my introduction to the DC universe. It led up to a great Ralph Dibny story in 52 that ended with him and Sue as ghost detectives.

And the current JLA wouldn't do any of that kind of thing. But you're right about Green Arrow(my fave) acting out of character. That was stupid, cause Meltzer could have easily written it so that GA was against the entire thing.:pullhair:

Girlystevedave
07-18-2008, 06:38 PM
I picked up Y:The Last Man / Unmanned the other day. I'm about to start on chapter three and I'm already enjoying it a lot.

I just read the part where Yorick runs into the woman with the garbage truck full of men's bodies. Her grabbing his package and saying: "You're a real man...But just barely." got me really cracked up. :rofl: And then the poor guy gets body slammed after sneaking up on his mom.:lol: Damn!

I'm already digging Yorick. :thumbsup:

fernandito
07-18-2008, 07:11 PM
I picked up [I]Y:The Last Man...

I knew it was only a matter of time.

:evil:

Girlystevedave
07-18-2008, 07:17 PM
Well that comic guy from the Simpsons did say it was good. :)

fernandito
07-18-2008, 07:19 PM
I hate to do this to you Amanda (not really), but :

The Watchmen.

Girlystevedave
07-18-2008, 07:32 PM
"Hate" to...yeah sure (rolls eyes)

Seymour_Glass
07-19-2008, 01:45 PM
I reread Watchmen the other day... it gets better every time. How the hell did Alan Moore do that?

Girlystevedave
07-19-2008, 07:17 PM
I just finished The Sandman:The Doll's House and Y:The Last Man / Unmanned... (And I greatly enjoyed both of these. I'm sure I'll go into more debt come pay day next week picking up the next vol. on these two. :drool:

Next I will start either: Hellboy: Weird Tales or Jack Of Fables:The (Nearly) Great Escape :orely:

...Or both

Empath of the White
07-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Just finished Hellboy: The Conqueror Worm. I'm starting the first volume of a manga published by Dark Horse called Berserk. Its pretty good so far; the story matches the art and after checking out the hype machine that is Naruto, this has restored my faith in manga.

Seymour_Glass
07-22-2008, 06:04 PM
Naruto made me cry.

Arthur Heath
08-06-2008, 08:21 AM
Just finished X-Men - Rise and Fall Of The Shiar Empire. Awesome X-Men romp staring 'second string' characters. Outside Whedon best X story Ive read in years.

fernandito
08-06-2008, 08:23 AM
I finished Y : Vol 6 yesterday night :dance:

Also, I'm ashamed to admit - I picked up Spider Man - Brand New Day # 22. :unsure:

educatedlady
08-06-2008, 08:53 AM
I'm going to pick up Comic Book Tattoo today and I'm super excited. :) I love Tori Amos and can't wait to see what has been done.

lophophoras
08-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Just read issue # 5 of Cemetery Dance - Grave Tales.

Has some great art work by Glenn Chadbourne in it.

Girlystevedave
08-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Started Y: Vol 2 last night. :)
(I'm in :wub: with the pic on page 50)

I was gonna pick up The Watchmen, but they are all on backorder.

fernandito
08-09-2008, 02:04 AM
New Additions:

The Walking Dead Vol. 8 (TPB)
Y : The Last Man Vol. 7
Batman R.I.P #676
Batman R.I.P #677
Simon Dark #1

Brice
08-09-2008, 02:12 AM
Masques II with Stephen King :dance:

UnderTheKillingMoon
08-12-2008, 10:42 AM
just finished the Watchmen #2 of 12, bout to keep going. i like this book so far, can't wait to see the movie.

fernandito
08-12-2008, 11:01 AM
You bought the individual issues?

Old Man Splitfoot
08-13-2008, 01:03 PM
I went to the comic shop on Sunday, and paid more than I really wanted to spend (which happens EVERY damn time I go there, what can I say, I'm weak willed), and I've been doing the same thing I always do when I get new comics; read through them at damn near the speed of sound the day I get them, then slowly reread them over the next couple days. I'm really liking this Wolverine story arc "Old Man Logan", but Ultimate Spiderman is a little dissapointing; this story was okay when it was the Ultimate Spidey video game, but having already played that, it's redundant to me.

Was anyone else kinda dissapointed in the last two issues of "Long Road Home"? I'm not gonna get into why (mostly because I'm too lazy to deal with spoiler tags at the moment), but it kinda let me down a bit.

Arthur Heath
08-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Split - Who's writing wolvie these days?

Girlystevedave
08-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Was anyone else kinda dissapointed in the last two issues of "Long Road Home"? I'm not gonna get into why (mostly because I'm too lazy to deal with spoiler tags at the moment), but it kinda let me down a bit.

Well Son of a B*tch...that reminds me that I've still got the last issue to read. It's been buried under Sandman and Y for the past couple of months.
Shame on me. :doh:

Old Man Splitfoot
08-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Split - Who's writing wolvie these days?

Mark Millar, I think. I'd have to go check my stack to be sure, but it's sitting pretty close to a sleeping two year old, who I don't really want to wake.

fernandito
08-14-2008, 06:21 AM
Is anyone else following the Batman R.I.P arc?

Old Man Splitfoot
08-14-2008, 10:54 PM
I haven't read any DC comics since I stopped working at the mall. I'm a Marvel Zombie at heart, and I buy too damn many comics to support both companies. But when I worked in the mall, I'd read a bunch of DC comics off the rack during my breaks. Was nice. Reading a comic in the middle of the work day always calmed me.

fernandito
08-15-2008, 11:33 AM
The first Marvel Zombie story arc was really good (I have the omnibus for that), the second one was kinda boring...I didn't even finish collecting the second arc, I think I got to the 4th issue and that was it.

fernandito
08-18-2008, 08:29 AM
I finished these over the weekend:

Batman R.I.P # 678, 679
Robin (R.I.P) - #189
The Amazing Spider Man (Brand New Day) # 677, 678
1985 (Marvel) - 1 of 6

Arthur Heath
08-19-2008, 08:31 AM
Whats 1985 Feev?

fernandito
08-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Marvel 1985 is a six-issue American comic book limited series, published in 2008 by Marvel Comics. It is written by Mark Millar[1] and illustrated by Tommy Lee Edwards.[2]

The story "is about the real world, the world we live in right now, dealing with the villains of the Marvel Universe finding us."[3] Millar also noted, "This is Marvel's [Chronicles of] Narnia".

Arthur Heath
08-19-2008, 10:00 AM
Any good so far?

fernandito
08-19-2008, 10:17 AM
I've only read the first issue so far, but it does look promising. :)

Seymour_Glass
08-23-2008, 10:04 AM
I'm loving Batman RIP.

And I finally picked up the first three issues of Final Crisis. :rock:
It's awesome. J.G.Jones is my new fave artist. And Grant Morrison does his usual ass kicking.

Bluenose
08-23-2008, 10:59 AM
Just picked up the new Frank Miller Batman graphic novel. I know its his take on the introduction of Robin, and thats usually the kiss of death for me and Batman, BUT its Miller and he does know and write this character better than most. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Seymour_Glass
08-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Kick-Ass. Read it. It does indeed kick ass.

Bluenose
08-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Cool, I had a flick through it tonight...am I the only one that loves the fact that Miller seems to hate Superman?

fernandito
08-23-2008, 02:22 PM
I'm loving Batman RIP.

It is great, isn't it?

It's awesome. J.G.Jones is my new fave artist. And Grant Morrison does his usual ass kicking.

Since I'm not a fan of DC outside of Batman, I wasn't able to get into FC. I read the first two issues and I really had no idea what was going on.

Girlystevedave
08-23-2008, 09:25 PM
I picked up Y / Vol 3 today :nana:....and I finally picked up The Watchmen.

Patrick
08-24-2008, 09:57 AM
I picked up Watchmen as well after hearing everyone talk about how great it is. Looking forward to reading it.

Seymour_Glass
08-24-2008, 01:36 PM
I'm loving Batman RIP.

It is great, isn't it?

Since I'm not a fan of DC outside of Batman, I wasn't able to get into FC. I read the first two issues and I really had no idea what was going on.

Yeah. I really want to recommend it to my non-DC reading friends, but it's way too involved. But I'm really freaking loving it.

Really, I think Batman RIP is harder to follow. I had to read each issue twice in a row to understand it.

fernandito
08-24-2008, 03:01 PM
Are you collecting only the main arc or all 4? I'm following R.I.P through the Batman storyline, and through Robin. Next time I stop by the shop, I'm going to collect the first issues of Nightwing and Batman Detective that have that story in them.

Girlystevedave
08-24-2008, 03:04 PM
**jumps on bandwagon

Started Watchmen :)

fernandito
08-24-2008, 03:05 PM
Sing your favorite song...

Arthur Heath
08-25-2008, 09:07 AM
I'm loving Batman RIP.

If you like Jones and havent read Wanted I'd pick it up. He does great work with Mark Millar. Never bothered with the movie but the graphic novel is great. I saw J.G. Jones at one of the cons I was working and picked up a Wanted poster (a poster for the graphic novel, not the movie) drawn by Jones and he personalized it. Extremely cool cat. :thumbsup:

Seymour_Glass
08-25-2008, 09:33 AM
Are you collecting only the main arc or all 4? I'm following R.I.P through the Batman storyline, and through Robin. Next time I stop by the shop, I'm going to collect the first issues of Nightwing and Batman Detective that have that story in them.

I've only been reading the story in Batman. Don't have enough money for the others. Though I hear Pete Tomasi is finally giving Nightwing the quality he deserves.

And AH: I loved wanted.

fernandito
08-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Newest additions :

Nightwing (R.I.P) - #177
Final Crisis - 2 and 3 of 7 (I decided to give it another try after reading that it ties in with the R.I.P arc)
Spiderman # 568 - New Ways To Die
Marvel 1985 - #'s 2 and 3

Patrick
09-01-2008, 01:00 PM
I started reading Watchmen this weekend. Only about three chapters in, but I'm hooked.

fernandito
09-01-2008, 01:05 PM
http://www.coolmyspacebackgrounds.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/mrburns_excellent1.JPG

Seymour_Glass
09-01-2008, 07:56 PM
I downloaded pdf's of the first issues of a bunch of Vertigo titles for free (:dance:) on their website:http://www.dccomics.com/sites/vertigo_num1s/.

Swamp Thing was good. I really want to see how Moore developed it.
Hellblazer was awesome. John Constantine is one of my fave characters.
Lucifer was interesting, but it didn't really grab me.
I really want to read the rest of 100 Bullets.
Animal Man kicked ass. I can't wait to pick up the trades.
Doom Patrol = :love: I would sell my body to science to get money for the trades.
Preacher was intriguing. So was Sanman Mystery Theatre.
I really need to get the trades of Transmet.
I also downloaded Fables, Jack of Fables, The Books of Magic, Scalped, the Losers, The Un-Men, Vinyl Underground, Army@Love and American Virgin, but have yet to read them.

Girlystevedave
09-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Started The Dark Knight Returns last night, and I'm still working on Watchmen.
I finish one of these and I'm onto Y:Vol 3. :dance:

Empath of the White
09-13-2008, 08:27 AM
I just finished volumes 1 and 2 of Batman: Hush. Not my favorite, but Jim Lee has become my favorite Batman artist. Last night on Amazon I managed to find a copy of the first collected volume of Eastman and Laird's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles so I'm pretty excited about getting to read that.

fernandito
09-13-2008, 03:13 PM
I finished Amazing Spider #569 and #570 a few days ago. I need to pick up the next two issues sometime during the upcoming week.

Seymour_Glass
09-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Doom Patrol. It's possibly my favorite thing ever. :rock:

frankybeans
09-18-2008, 01:07 PM
spawn used to be an awesome comic. its still ok, got too weird and the original story is over. still, some of the best art out there

fernandito
09-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Doom Patrol. It's possibly my favorite thing ever. :rock:

After I finish Y and Fables, I plan to start this series along with Transmetropolitan.

A couple of new additions:

Eternals # 1
The Amazing Spider Man # 571
Marvel - 1985 , 4 of 6
Deadpool # 1
Secret Invasion , 6 of 8
The Dark Tower : Treacher # 1
The Stand # 1

Jackie
09-18-2008, 09:14 PM
Just read The Stand Captain Trips. I have TDT Treachery but i haven't read Long road Home yet. Should i read that first, does it go in order? No spoilers though please :) [And i have read Gunslinger Born]

Matt
09-19-2008, 07:59 AM
It goes very much in order so I would say if you can get The Long Road Home, you probably should.

fernandito
09-19-2008, 08:22 AM
In order, definitely.

Sol
09-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Currently re-reading/buying Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis and Darrick Robertson.

I love this series! ^_^

fernandito
09-19-2008, 11:27 AM
What other Graphic Novel series have you read/are you planning on reading, Sol?

Arthur Heath
09-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Currently re-reading/buying Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis and Darrick Robertson.

I love this series! ^_^

Transmet is great! I tore through them pretty fast. I love it when Spider gets into gun fights...he kicks ass.

:Bowel Disruptor:

fernandito
09-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Hey Arthur - I got Y vol 9 waiting for me at home! :excited:

Arthur Heath
09-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Thats Skol to you buddy :) I look forward to you finishing the series...

Girlystevedave
09-19-2008, 09:17 PM
I finished TDK Returns and Y:One Small Step earlier.
I think I'm gonna check out Preacher just cause the first two volumes have been sitting on my shelf for a while, and I got nothing else right now. Hey, that's reason enough for me. :)

fernandito
09-20-2008, 04:46 AM
Damn, everyone's been raving about Preacher lately...even the girl at that Halloween store, she just wouldn't shut up! :lol:

Arthur Heath
09-20-2008, 09:54 AM
I finished TDK Returns and Y:One Small Step earlier.
I think I'm gonna check out Preacher just cause the first two volumes have been sitting on my shelf for a while, and I got nothing else right now. Hey, that's reason enough for me. :)

Preacher, hands down, is my absolute favorite series. As much as I rave about Y, it has nothing on Preacher. Even in Y, Vaughn pays homage to the Preacher series by having a Zippo that says 'Fuck Communism', which comes directly from Preacher. Yorrick says 'I read it in a comic once.' It also has an extremely hard drinking, Irish vampire that doesnt take shite from anyone. You cant beat that. It has the greatest ending that I have ever read in comic history.
Ok, I'll stop Preaching. Pun intended.

Girlystevedave
09-25-2008, 08:56 AM
Finished 2nd vol of Preacher. This is one f'd up story so far.
Cassidy is very cool. :thumbsup:

Jesse's family is/was a bunch of freaking sickos. I don't think I've ever been so happy to see anyone in a comic get killed. :lol:

Brice
09-25-2008, 09:02 AM
Good Omens: The Nice And Accurate Prophecies Of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

fernandito
09-25-2008, 09:09 AM
Wrong thread Brice :cyclops:

Arthur Heath
09-25-2008, 11:21 AM

Jesse's family is/was a bunch of freaking sickos. I don't think I've ever been so happy to see anyone in a comic get killed. :lol:

I love it when Cassidy drives the pickup right into the Saint of Killlers, cursing as he does so, thereby throwing him out the window.

Future volumes extremely good also. Without giving too much away for spoilers there is a lot of back story about Jesses father that comes to fruition, which is very good. And of course the weird, disgusting, way out there shit just keeps coming and coming.

Arthur Heath
09-25-2008, 11:22 AM

Unless they made a comic of it? It wouldnt surprise me, Gaiman has turned a few of his novels into graphic ones.

Brice
09-25-2008, 11:23 AM

:doh:

Unless they made a comic of it? It wouldnt surprise me, Gaiman has turned a few of his novels into graphic ones.

I wish.

Arthur Heath
09-25-2008, 11:42 AM

:doh:

I wish.

A little OT, but he has a new novel coming out in a few days called The Graveyard Book.

[/OT]

Brice
09-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Awesome! I didn't know that.

fernandito
09-25-2008, 11:59 AM
And he's writing Batman next year.*

*2345th mention.

Arthur Heath
09-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Gaiman on Batman?!?!? AWESOME! Not surprisingly enough I must have missed the previous 2344th mention.

Seymour_Glass
09-25-2008, 02:08 PM

I love this series! ^_^

I just started Transmet. It's freaking amazing.

Girlystevedave
09-25-2008, 04:19 PM

I love it when Cassidy drives the pickup right into the Saint of Killlers, cursing as he does so, thereby throwing him out the window.

Future volumes extremely good also. Without giving too much away for spoilers there is a lot of back story about Jesses father that comes to fruition, which is very good. And of course the weird, disgusting, way out there shit just keeps coming and coming.

There is definitely an abundance of the 'way out there shit' huh?

I mean, there is definitely no shortage of sodomy and hints at people fucking animals is there? But, oddly....in this kind of story/plot, it makes sense.

Brainslinger
09-29-2008, 12:54 PM
I got a few GNs from the library today. I'm currently reading Marshal Law by Pat Mills and Kevin O' Neill.

I've seen it mentioned elsewhere but I didn't know what it was about (I found myself thinking of that TV show with the big detective Chinese man, and thinking, that'd make a rubbish comic. Not a bad show overall though.)
EDIT- I just realised that one was MARTIAL Law. /END EDIT.

Turns out this is completely different. A rather warped take on the superhero genre (yeah I know it's been done before, but this works) and very interesting.

Rather shocking in places though. I mainly got it as I know Pat Mills from a weekly comic I get, 2000 AD.

Arthur Heath
09-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Never heard of it but after Googling the name I read up on it a bit a and it sounds like a great recommendation! :thumbsup:

Brainslinger
09-29-2008, 04:02 PM
I just finished it!

Great read. One of the best GNs I've read in a while.

Full name is Marshall Law: Fear and Loathing.

Don't let the kinky looking fascist gimp outfit put you off. ;)

Seymour_Glass
09-29-2008, 04:36 PM
I need to track down the issues of 2000AD with Zentih in them.

Brainslinger
09-29-2008, 05:16 PM

I don't really know that character.

However, this should help:
Zenith on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zenith_(comic))
There's a bibliography section at the bottom that lists the various collections and from which prog they collect. They're out of print unfortunately but it might be worth checking on ebay.

The 2000 ad web site might help too:

http://www.2000adonline.com/

There's a forum, and if you leave a question there I'm sure someone will have an answer for you.

The shop link leads to a number you can call for back-issues if you want the individual comics. You used to be able to order on-line but the site is having an overhaul. The number is UK based, so if your not based over here you'll need the 00 44 code. Otherwise there is ebay again.

fernandito
09-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Is anyone else collecting Marvel's Eternals series?

Seymour_Glass
10-01-2008, 12:14 PM

I don't really know that character.

However, this should help:
Zenith on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zenith_(comic))
There's a bibliography section at the bottom that lists the various collections and from which prog they collect. They're out of print unfortunately but it might be worth checking on ebay.

The 2000 ad web site might help too:

http://www.2000adonline.com/

There's a forum, and if you leave a question there I'm sure someone will have an answer for you.

The shop link leads to a number you can call for back-issues if you want the individual comics. You used to be able to order on-line but the site is having an overhaul. The number is UK based, so if your not based over here you'll need the 00 44 code. Otherwise there is ebay again.

Thanks a bunch, man. :huglove:

fernandito
10-04-2008, 04:06 AM
Newest Additions:

Y Vol 10.
Eternals #2
Magneto : Origins #1
The Amazing Spider Man #580
Batman (RIP) #680
Marvel's 1985 - 5 of 7
Deadpool #2

LadyHitchhiker
10-04-2008, 03:19 PM
The Stand
gunslinger
star trek mirror universe
star trek assignment earth
star trek year four
dresden files

fernandito
10-07-2008, 11:52 AM
I finished the Y : The Last Man series. :D

Oh, and - Marvel's Ender's Game comic adaptation is hitting stores soon!:excited:

aberrios75
10-07-2008, 12:09 PM
I use to read Batman, but I have been reading Ultimate X-Men, up to volume 3.

fernandito
10-07-2008, 12:39 PM
I'm not much of an X-Men fan, BUT - I just started Magneto : Testament and I have to say that it's shaping up to be a very promising series.

Seymour_Glass
10-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Have you read the Grant Morrison run?

fernandito
10-07-2008, 05:41 PM
No sir.... should I?

Didn't he write the Messiah story arc?

Seymour_Glass
10-08-2008, 01:22 PM
You should definitely read it. It's my favorite X-Men run.
And are you talking about Messiah Complex? He didn't write that.

fernandito
10-08-2008, 01:59 PM
There you go, the Messiah Complex.

I read a couple of reviews over at Amazon and apparently it's one of the best X-Men stories in years.

Your opinion?

Arthur Heath
10-08-2008, 02:40 PM
I grew up on X-Men, therefore they are near and dear to my heart. I have most of Messiah Complex, missing a few issues here and there, but the storyline is excellent. Im waiting for it to come out in softcover trade paperback. And while Im on the subject, damn those hard cover TPB. I now have to wait even longer for it to come out in softcover so I can save the extra 10 bucks. Messiah was written by many writers, writing the plot of Messiah in their respected X books. Im not a huge crossover fan like this as I think the story suffers. They pulled it off though.
You want to read a great X-Men romp, go for The Rise and Fall of the Shiar Empire. Ed Brubaker (who co-wrote) writes a flippin awesome storyline using second string X-Men characters. No Wolvie!
I like Grant, though I wasnt fond of his X-Men run, which was a few years back at this point. Now his Justice League run rocks!

Seymour_Glass
10-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Messiah Complex was really awesome. It made me really want to pick up Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire. Ed Brubaker is a really good writer (see: Daredevil, Captain America)

But he's not as good as Grant Morrison.

Arthur Heath
10-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Messiah Complex was really awesome. It made me really want to pick up Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire. Ed Brubaker is a really good writer (see: Daredevil, Captain America)

But he's not as good as Grant Morrison.

Get Rise and Fall, you wont be disappointed. I see you have the Invisibles for an Av. I got the first few TPB but couldnt really get into it.

Seymour_Glass
10-11-2008, 05:53 PM
I've heard a bunch of people say that. I took to it immediately. Maybe you should try it again. It's my favorite series ever. I still haven't figured out all the symbolism.

LadyHitchhiker
10-12-2008, 10:53 AM
Fringe is going to be having a comic book!!!!

what
10-13-2008, 11:57 AM
Fringe is going to be having a comic book!!!!

unfortunately the first issue will be all you get until January 09 :( ... they are changing the direction of the comic

fernandito
10-21-2008, 06:23 AM
A couple of new additions :
Transmetropolitan - Vol 0 (Finally!)
The Dark Tower - Treachery #2
Deadpool #3
Enders Game #1
The Amazing Spider Man #573
The Eternals #3

I was /this/ close to picking up The Messiah Complex, but it's $40! Eeek! I'll probably pick it up with my next check though. :fairy:

Aaron
10-21-2008, 06:40 AM
Whoa...they are doing Ender's Game in a graphic format? I knew they adapted the second book in the Alvin Maker series, but I haven't heard anything about this. Tell me more, Mr. Feev. :cool:

fernandito
10-21-2008, 07:32 AM
Marvel decided to take another spin of the wheel and adapt both Enders Game and The Stand into comic form in hopes of emulating the commercial and critical success that the Dark Tower series has had up to this point. Damn fine by me, Enders Game is probably my 2nd favorite series behind the DT. I haven't read it yet, but I will later on today and I'll post my impressions of it in here when I do. :thumbsup:

Hannah
10-29-2008, 10:42 AM
So what were your impressions, Feev?

fernandito
10-29-2008, 11:09 AM
This first issue was decent. I was expecting the artwork to be a little more 'mature', given the tone of the books, but I still enjoyed it nonetheless. I look forward to the subsequent issues, and hopefully they'll up the ante a little. :)

Rjeso
11-15-2008, 10:45 AM
We3 (saddest freakin' thing I've read in a long time)
The Last Temptation (Alice Cooper in comic form, lawl)
Wolverine - The Brotherhood

fernandito
11-16-2008, 05:42 AM
Newest additions :

The Invisibles Vol. 1
The Dark Tower - Treachery #3
The Amazing Spider Man #'s 575, 576, 577, 578
The Eternals #5
Marvel 1985 - 6 of 6

Sam
11-16-2008, 06:18 AM
Here's a list of what I'm currently reading in the comic world. (greatly shortened compared to what I was reading 15 months ago)

The Punisher
The Boys
Ultimatum (Marvel)
PvP
The Ultimates (if the series continues)

Wow, that list really used to be a LOT longer.

Titles I wish came out on a regular basis.
Astro City
Liberty Meadows (dammit Cho)

fernandito
11-16-2008, 06:29 AM
I really wanted to start the Ultimates, but the issues for the first 2 cycles are about $7.95 each... :doh: I wonder if they have them in TPB?

Seymour_Glass
11-16-2008, 10:33 AM
They do. I read the first to series of the Ultimates in TPB. It's a lot of fun.
How was Marvel 1985?

fernandito
11-16-2008, 02:58 PM
The idea was great, unfortunately the execution was kind of ... bland. I lost interest after issue 4, but I collected the final two anyway because I hate having incomplete series in my library if I know I have access to the remaining issues.

Looking forward to the final issue of the Batman R.I.P arc, and to Ender's Game #2! :excited:

Sam
11-16-2008, 04:09 PM
The Ultimates series IS in tpb and also in Hardcover. I recommend the hardcovers because they are actually cheaper than the trades added together. There are four trades Ultimates parts 1&2 and Ultimates 2 parts 1&2. There are two hardcovers Ultimates and Ultimates 2. Amazon has the first hardcover volume. I just bought Ultimates 2 from my local comic dealer for cover price $35.00 minus my discount.

Jackie
11-17-2008, 12:32 AM
NOTHING.....:cry:

I have yet to obtain #2 and #3 of either The Treachery or Captain Tripps

Empath of the White
11-17-2008, 03:30 PM
I just reread Batman: Hush volumes 1 and 2. In my limited experience with Batman books--Year One, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, and The Man Who Laughs being the ones I've read--I have to say these volumes have my favorite artwork for the most part. Sale's Scarecrow is still my favorite. Hush wasn't too bad an idea, but I'm just not finding myself able to like the idea of him being One of Bruce's childhood friends who seemed to be randomly added to canon for the sake of the story.

Next I'll be checking out that new Joker graphic novel drawn by Bermejo. I'll get back with yall soon as I finish it.

fernandito
11-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Have you read The Long Halloween and The Haunted Knight? Those two, along with Dark Victory, form a loose trilogy of Batman books illustrated by Sales. Also, The Dark Knight borrowed heavily from elements found in TLH. You should check them out.

Empath of the White
11-17-2008, 04:27 PM
I have not read The Haunted Knight yet, but based on the reviews I've read of another comic, The Killing Joker, they kind of took Gordon's story there and gave it to Dent in the movie. I'll definitly check out both, thanks for the recommendation. :) I found I liked Dark Victory over The Long Halloween for a couple of reasons: Gordon forming his own police force, and the freaks rising up against the mob.

Brainslinger
11-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Comics I'm reading at the moment are 2000 AD (weekly sci-fi mag I get on subscription.) and Treachery (just got issue 3.)

The latter is highly recommended. Former is an anthology and therefore more subjective. The stories as a whole aren't that deep but they're good fun read. The humor tends to be pretty dark. (British comics tend to go more for the anti-hero than hero. Although a lot of superhero comics nowadays are that way nowadays aren't they?)

Recent GNs I've read:
Sea of Red: Volume 1: Vampires and Pirates basically. Quite good.

Sinister Dexter: Murder 101- This is a collection of stories concerning a couple of bounty hunters set in the future. The strips appear in serial form in 2000 AD, and they're still churning them out. This series is a mixed bag, but largely good, in a twisted way. (The characters were inspired by the 2 hit men characters form Pulp Fiction.)

Green Arrow: Straight Shooter.- Pretty good superhero tale. Green Arrow is a pretty cool character. A much more interesting taciturn character than the young guy in Smallville.

The Invisibles: Say you want a Revolution. - Difficult to describe as it is very weird. Interesting though.

Hawkman: Endless Flight - Another DC superhero. This wasn't bad either.

Superman and Batman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told.- A collection of stories concerning the partnership of the two iconic superheroes ranging from 1952- 2003. Interesting to see the change in style, but a mixed bag. Largely 'meh' but I'd probably have liked em as a kid.

Books yet to read (if ever):
100 Bullets: A foregone Tomorrow. -I got another of these volumes out a short while ago and I mostly enjoyed it, so I opted for this. From the flick through there is some extremely raunchy scenes in this one! Makes the other look tame. (I don't get it for that though.)

Bloodquest II: Into the eye of Terror.
A sci-fi book. Not sure what it's about, but the writer is Gordon Rennie and his 2000 AD stuff is usually pretty good. I'm half inclined not to read this yet though as I don't have the first volume.

Arthur Heath
11-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Have you read The Long Halloween and The Haunted Knight? Those two, along with Dark Victory, form a loose trilogy of Batman books illustrated by Sales. Also, The Dark Knight borrowed heavily from elements found in TLH. You should check them out.

Have you read Brian Azerellos Joker yet Feeve? Great stuff from a perspective of a henchman who wants to get into bed (not litterally) with the Joker. Its a one shot comic which is packed with the entire Dark Knight villouness cast.

I was /this/ close to picking up The Messiah Complex, but it's $40! Eeek! Messiah was pretty fun, but as I mentioned before, if you want a great X-Men romp check out Rise and Fall of the Shiar Empire. This is an awesome story with no 'main' X-Men characters (i.e. Wolverine). Its in soft cover also, no 40 bones to read.

The Invisibles: Say you want a Revolution. - Difficult to describe as it is very weird. Interesting though.
Brainslinger - I read the first two installments of Invisibles. The first was pretty decent (and bizzare as you mentioned) but couldnt get through the second. I do like Grant Morrisons stuff though. His JLA run was a lot of fun.

Right now Im reading The Chronicals of Wormwood. Its about the Antichrist not wanting to be, well, the Antichrist. If I told you about the shit that spews from this graphic novel it would offend someone, no doubt. Written by Garth Ennis (Preacher) you know its got some down right sick shit. Probably not going to pick up another volume.

fernandito
11-22-2008, 02:29 PM

I just started that one as well :thumbsup:

Have you read Brian Azerellos Joker yet Feeve?

Not yet, I'm hoping I'll be able to pick it up sometime during the week :dance:

Sam
11-22-2008, 06:00 PM
I know this is a thread on what you're currently reading, but...

If you haven't read some of Tim Sale and Jeph Loeb's stuff, you need to kick yourself in the ass. Get it. Their work on some of DC and Marvel's core characters have been nothing less than stunning. While you're at it, go back and read some of the classic stuff from Romita Sr., Frank Miller, Perez, and some of the other greats form the last few decades.

3 DOORS DOWN
11-23-2008, 01:03 PM
Just started Red seas under red skies, book 2 of the Gentleman Bastards sequence by Scott Lynch.This is a sequence of 7 books,books 1 + 2 are published books 3 to 7 yet to be released.Heres the titles of all 7books

1,The lies of Locke Lamora.
2,Red seas under red skies.
3,The republic of thieves.
4,The thorn of emberlain.
5,The ministry of necessity.
6,The mage and the spy.
7,Inherit the night.
A fantastic read of magic, thieves,strange devices,tricks and laughs.

fernandito
11-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Wrong thread dude, this is for comics :cyclops:

3 DOORS DOWN
11-23-2008, 01:29 PM
Crap,just when you think you've got the hang of things.:thumbsup:

fernandito
12-03-2008, 03:08 AM
Newest Additions :

Fables Vol. 11 (:dance:)
Batman R.I.P #681
The Amazing Spider #581
Deadpool #4
Brian Azerello's Joker!
The Eternals #4, 5

Arthur Heath
12-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Let me know what you think of Joker Feeve. I thoroughly enjoyed how he went down the list of prolific Batman villains in this one shot.

fernandito
12-09-2008, 06:17 AM
AMAZING.

That's all there is to say, really :lol:

Seymour_Glass
12-09-2008, 04:53 PM
I just started reading Bendis's run on Daredevil. Some of his best work, and some of the best work on the character.

fernandito
12-09-2008, 10:33 PM
My mind almost caved in after having read 1/4 of The Invisibles Vol 1.

Brainslinger
12-10-2008, 11:31 AM

Why? Did you dislike it (which is fair enough, I wasn't sure of this series when I first picked one up. I didn't start with 1 though.)? Or is it more the trippy stuff?

I recently read the second Serenity GN. I've heard bad things about it, but I actually rather liked it. It wasn't as good as the first, and there were a couple of things at the end I was unclear about, but it wasn't bad. A decent enough new episode of Firefly really.

fernandito
12-10-2008, 12:45 PM

Why? Did you dislike it (which is fair enough, I wasn't sure of this series when I first picked one up. I didn't start with 1 though.)? Or is it more the trippy stuff?

Hell no dude, I f'n love it! :lol:

It's the trippy stuff - really overwhelming! Although I guess it should be expected, seeing as how it's Morrison at the helm. :cyclops:

Arthur Heath
12-11-2008, 11:14 AM

I liked volume one, fair enough at least. Morrison lost me at Vol. 2. Mayhap I should go re-read it.

Arthur Heath
12-11-2008, 11:19 AM

I recently read the second Serenity GN. I've heard bad things about it, but I actually rather liked it. It wasn't as good as the first, and there were a couple of things at the end I was unclear about, but it wasn't bad. A decent enough new episode of Firefly really.

I was just about to walk over to my neighbors who's laid up with a neck problem at the moment and let him borrow Firefly series. Is the Serenity GN's new material written by Whedon or is it a rehash?

Seymour_Glass
12-13-2008, 02:28 PM
It's plotted by Whedon but scripted by Brett Matthews, I believe.
They're pretty good. I just wish that one would take place after the movie, be scripted by Whedon and be an ongoing.

And you should go try again with the Invisibles. It's one of my favorite comics ever.

Brainslinger
12-14-2008, 05:23 AM
I was just about to walk over to my neighbors who's laid up with a neck problem at the moment and let him borrow Firefly series. Is the Serenity GN's new material written by Whedon or is it a rehash?

Yeah, it's new material co-written by Joss Whedon and Brett Matthews. The first one Those Left Behind is essentially a prequel to the film, i.e. set between the series and the film. The second volume, Better Days is set (confusingly) before the first. It's a self contained story though, so the reading order doesn't matter. Since the crew split up after the first volume, I think Joss Whedon wanted a tale with all crewmembers present.

There is also a small tale The other Half, written by Jim Krueger which you can read here. Scroll down to the arrows bellow the comic strip and select issue 17 (http://www.myspace.com/darkhorsepresents)

I've heard of another series called A Shepherd's Tale concerning Shepherd Book's back-story. I look forward to that one. It was advertised a while ago, but I haven't seen anything of it yet.

Brainslinger
12-14-2008, 05:27 AM
Ok, my most recent comic read was 2000AD 2009. Basically it's the 2000AD 100 page Christmas special. It's a good issue with much longer strips, many with a Christmas flavour.... albeit rather twisted. As an anthology it's a mixed bag, but there is a lot I like in this issue.

Aaron
12-14-2008, 01:28 PM
I am about to start volume 4 of Fables. Very good stuff.

And since I keep seeing such rave reviews, I think I am going to have to check out The Invisibles soon.

Empath of the White
12-15-2008, 07:36 PM
I just finished Joker as well. If Nolan ever brings in Croc and Penguin, Bermejo's take on them is one I could see him using.

Arthur Heath
12-15-2008, 09:32 PM
I loved Bermejos take on him. I enjoyed the more humanistic characteristics about him. Im not a huge Batman guy, :ducks Feeve:, but the crocks snout has always been cheesy.

Empath of the White
12-16-2008, 07:09 AM
I'm a fan of the Batman: The Animated Series appearance myself. I think its a nice balance between man and beast with being overly out there, like the Croc from Hush.

Well, I finally read Hellboy: The Conqueror Worm. A lot of people were saying there were some pretty fucked up things in this one....but I didn't find any of them. I still think Hellboy's origin holds that title.

fernandito
12-28-2008, 06:10 AM
Newest additions :

Amazing Spiderman - 581, 580, 579
Batman - 683
Deadpool - 4
Final Crisis - 5 of 7
Secret Invasion - 7 of 7
Dark Reign - 1 of 7

The Cosmic Geek
12-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Oh good, a comics thread! Wasn't sure if there was one.

I'm reading monthly Dark Tower and The Stand, of course.

Fables and Jack of Fables I absolutely love.
Green Lantern
Spider-man

and I occasionally pick up others to see how they are. I also chec out the cheap bins to read old issues of series I haven't read before.

Recently just finished reading:

Y: The Last Man (excellent)
Watchmen (second reading)

turtlex
12-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Oh good, a comics thread! Wasn't sure if there was one.

I'm reading monthly Dark Tower and The Stand, of course.

Fables and Jack of Fables I absolutely love.
Green Lantern
Spider-man

and I occasionally pick up others to see how they are. I also chec out the cheap bins to read old issues of series I haven't read before.

Recently just finished reading:

Y: The Last Man (excellent)
Watchmen (second reading)

Welcome, Cosmic Geek! Glad you found your way over here.

TDT actually has a whole section dedicated to comics!

This is the high level thread : http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/forumdisplay.php?f=12

Explore and enjoy!

The Cosmic Geek
12-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the link, Turtlex.

Aaron
12-31-2008, 11:51 AM
I am reading The Stand and Treachery. I just finished Locke & Key, Fables: March of the Wooden Soldiers, and Wanted. (On a side note, I loved Wanted. Flat-out loved it. I hate that they destroyed the movie. It could have been sooo awesome. :( )

I am planning to start reading Straw Men soon. I plan to pick up the first few issues on Friday when I get Captain Trips #4. Has anyone here read it yet? Is it any good?

The Cosmic Geek
12-31-2008, 06:00 PM
I'm also reading, in omnibus trades, James Robinson's Starman, which is an awesome comic and where my screen name comes from.

Also reading The Nocturnals as trades, which is also a great comic mix of horror, pulp, sci-fi and Halloween.

Seymour_Glass
12-31-2008, 07:26 PM
Cosmic Geek, I'm gonna push the Invisibles on you like I have everyone else. It's my favorite comic.
I also just picked up Final Crisis 5, but I haven't read it yet.

The Cosmic Geek
01-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Invisibles? Don't think I know that one. Can you give me a run down on it?

Seymour_Glass
01-01-2009, 07:05 PM
You know the Matrix? The good parts? Yeah, pretty much stolen from the Invisibles, except in the Invisibles the freedom fighters are whacked out hippies/punks/ravers. And they're really cool. And then there's the time travel and conspiracies and apocalypse and lots of cool stuff.

But not as crazy as I made it sound.Okay, maybe it is.

Empath of the White
01-02-2009, 12:17 AM
I'm working on Watchmen...I'm not finding it as good as the hype made it out to be (and what is?), but I like how so far there's not really any clear cut good and bad guys...except maybe the Comedian.

fernandito
01-02-2009, 05:35 AM
Aye, that be the trouble with hype.

turtlex
01-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Just picked up :

X-Men NOIR issue 1
Daredevil, Lady Bullseye story part 1, 2, 3 and 4

fernandito
01-02-2009, 10:47 AM
I heard (read) that the Noir series (both for X-Men and Spiderman) is... less than stellar.

The Cosmic Geek
01-02-2009, 05:45 PM
I picked up both Spider-man and X-men Noir but haven't read them yet.

I think it's an interesting idea for well established comics, and might be fun as an Elseworlds or What If? kind of idea, but other than a mini-series I couldn't see it lasting.

Still, I look forward to reading them. They are on the top of my "To Read" comic pile.

Aaron
01-02-2009, 09:21 PM
I finally got my copy of Volume 5 of Fables in the mail, have finished it and volume 6, and have volume 7 waiting for me to begin tomorrow.

I think I may be getting a tad bit addicted to graphic fiction. Is it wrong that I have spent more money in the past couple of months on comics than on weed?

The Cosmic Geek
01-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Fables is a comic that is worth being addicted to, it's like the Dark Tower, just soooooooo good.

fernandito
01-03-2009, 01:46 PM
I can't wait for Gaiman's take on Batman later this year! :excited:

The Cosmic Geek
01-03-2009, 03:56 PM

When is that coming out? I want to be sure to read that.

Seymour_Glass
01-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Watchmen is amazing on the sixth go-round. That's when I realized how meticulous Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons were in building the world.

Aaron
01-04-2009, 08:41 AM

I heard about this recently and am really excited about it. Has there been any information given on the plotline, villains, and whatnot yet?

Seymour_Glass
01-04-2009, 09:30 AM
It's called "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?".(Like the Alan Moore Superman story, "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?")

I just started readig 100 Bullets. It's pretty interesting, but not as good as Scalped.

Arthur Heath
01-04-2009, 12:46 PM
I think I may be getting a tad bit addicted to graphic fiction. Is it wrong that I have spent more money in the past couple of months on comics than on weed?

Your probably more enlightened on the comics, eh?

Aaron
01-04-2009, 01:04 PM
:lol: True enlightenment is a blend of the two, so says the Dalai Lama.

I think it has more to do with the dry spell going around, but even if I had ample supply...I've spent hundreds on comics. Hannah would like to give me shit about it, only she reads everything that I buy, too.

The Cosmic Geek
01-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Watchmen is amazing on the sixth go-round. That's when I realized how meticulous Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons were in building the world.

Have you read Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

Seymour_Glass
01-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Not yet.

turtlex
01-05-2009, 02:47 PM
I heard (read) that the Noir series (both for X-Men and Spiderman) is... less than stellar.

Don't know about the Spidey, but the X-Men NOIR #1 I just finished was crap. The X-Men aren't even in it until the last panel. Wha'the?

The Cosmic Geek
01-05-2009, 07:10 PM
I just read issues 67 and 68 of the Wolverine Old Man Logan story line. I missed the first issue to the story, but from what I read I really liked it. I love how Mark Millar writes the Marvel characters.

Leage of Extraordinary Gentlemen is a great series, especially if you enjoy classic literature. Alan Moore is a great writer.

Empath of the White
01-05-2009, 08:47 PM
I'm jumping around right now depending on mood:

Watchmen: slow but steady
Batman: Gothic
Martian Manunter: The Others Among Us

All are pretty good. I was skeptical about the MM title, since its writer also penned Hush Returns, which I have yet to hear anything positive about. Apparently he dumbed down the character of Hush.

The Cosmic Geek
01-06-2009, 05:31 AM
The MM comic, is that written by Judd Winnick? He did Hush Returns, right?

How is Batman Gothic?

turtlex
01-06-2009, 05:34 AM
Judd Winnick did a great run of Green Lantern a while back. Good writer.

The Cosmic Geek
01-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Yeah, Winnick's run on Green Lantern was OK. I preferred Ron Marz's though. And current writer Geoff Johns is doing some amazing stuff in that book, anyone reading it?

fernandito
01-06-2009, 09:27 PM
I've never read a Green Lantern issue in my life. :|

turtlex
01-07-2009, 03:23 AM
I love the Hal Jordan stuff.

The Cosmic Geek
01-07-2009, 05:41 AM
The current Green Lantern book revolves around Hal Jordan and is really good. Johns, the writer, is doing some epic stuff with the entire cast and crew, making Sinestro a truly great villain, forming different color corps (Sinestro has his own, and then there are the Red Lanterns who use rage and anger to fuel their rings), just huge epic, stellar stuff. Imagine the greatness of the original Star Wars films, now through that sort of story into the Green Lantern universe and you get some awesome stuff.

A majority of the stuff is already out as graphic novels, and they are really great reads.

Anyone reading Old Man Logan in Wolverine right now? Wow, excellent story. Takes place 50 years in the future and Wolverine will no longer fight or use his claws. When you find out why, oh man, what a story.

turtlex
01-07-2009, 07:40 AM
So... I keep hearing about the HUGE happenings in the DC Universe ( Darkest Night was a promo I saw somewhere that was a Green Lantern item )..... I'm sort of a Marvel girl so don't follow most of the DC stuff, but this could be big?

fernandito
01-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Darkest Night is going to be the follow up to Final Crisis, much like Dark Reign is to Secret Invasion.

I've been following Final Crisis ever since I learned that it was going to tie into the Batman R.I.P story arc, and I have to say that if you're not a huge DC fan (such as myself/ I only read Batman/ Go Marvel!), you'll more often than not be asking yourself 'WTH is going on?!'. At this point I'm only still collecting the FC series because I don't want to leave it unfinished, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to start purchasing DN for fear of dwelling even deeper into the warm thrill of confusion. The only DC I see myself following in 09 is the Batman/Batman Detective and the 3 issue mini-series Battle for the Cowl.

turtlex
01-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Ah, thanks Feev. I was thinking it was going to be some huge old Civil War deal like with Marvel where the whole Marvel Universe got sucked into things and shaken up and what with Cap getting killed and Peter Parker coming clean about being Spidey, that was a big deal. What with the "darkest" line, I was figuring that the Green Lantern would play into it big somehow. Honestly, I was thinking that maybe they planned to kill him off.

"In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might, beware my power, Green Lantern's light!"

fernandito
01-07-2009, 11:20 AM
I don't read Green Lantern, but he and his.... clan (?) have played a HUGE role in Final Crisis so far.

turtlex
01-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Corps... they are the Green Lantern Corps! ;)

Maybe I'll check it out when it hits as a graphic novel.

If they have a really cool Green Lantern cover, I might search that out in CGC, too.

Thanks for the update! :couple:

The Cosmic Geek
01-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Free Comic Book Day this May is going to have a free tie in that leads to Blackest Night. It's pretty big. I don't follow the Final Crisis story line, only the issue where the Red Lanterns appeared, but you don't need to to follow the GL book. If you are really interested I would recommend taking some of the newer Green Lantern trades out from the libaray and reading them. Since the very first trade Geoff Johns has been building up to Blackest Night, and all through the series subtle hints have been dropped. We know this about Blackest Night, the Corp members will be dead heroes and villains.

So far was have met the yellow corps, Sinestro, Red lanters, Pink, Blue and soon orange.

The whole Blackest Night prophecy was taken out of a short story Alan Moore wrote about Abin Sur, the GL who gave Hal Jordan his ring. Geoff Johns has taken that story and built from it, making it something Sinestro has been master minding from the beginning of the series.

They say the aftermath of Darkest Night is to be huge. We will see. So far though it has been a pretty huge ground shaking book. I really can't say enough good things. If anyone has any questions about it please ask, I'm reading it monthly and love talking about it.

Also, you mentioned you like the Detective Comics Batman book, Feverish Parade. I love what Paul Dini has been doing with that book, some great stories written there.

fernandito
01-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Agreed, Dini has been in a state of grace with his run in Detective.

And call me Feev :cool:

turtlex
01-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Free Comic Book Day !

That's it. That's where I saw the Darkest Night cover! Which is actually BLACKEST night. ( which was the original word in the motto/coda but was changed so not to appear racist )

Thank you! It's been driving me nuts.

http://www.previewsworld.com/news_images/77843_190010_6.jpg

www.freecomicbookday.com

The Cosmic Geek
01-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Cool, nice to meet you Feev.

Dini writes some great stories, wish he was writing the book full time instead of having the occasional fill in writer.

Turtlex Free COmic Day is awesome, they really have some great book each year. I've been going every year since they started it, it's a great way to introduce more people to comics.

The image you posted below I believe the issue will serve as a fill in of sorts to catch people all up to speed before Blackest Night begins. Can't wait for that to start, it's been leading up to it for so long now.

fernandito
01-10-2009, 08:35 AM
WTF?!

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l416/feverishparade/darkavengers.jpg

turtlex
01-10-2009, 08:55 AM
Captain IronMan ?

The Cosmic Geek
01-10-2009, 05:43 PM
I've heard about Dark Avengers but don't really know too much about it. I guess it takes place after the Secret Invasion stuff?

Seymour_Glass
01-11-2009, 03:47 PM
That cover's pretty weird. But hey, I'm looking forward to it. Kind of.

Brainslinger
01-12-2009, 05:11 AM
I'm reading X-Men Supernovas at the moment. Quite an interesting read, although I'm not overkeen on the manga type style of the artwork. It's pretty enough, but a couple of the characters look very much the same.

An interesting story idea of a parallel race of humans though. (I'm not referring to the mutants themselves either as that pervades all the X-men books.)

fernandito
01-12-2009, 05:14 AM
New Additions :

Batman R.I.P Last Rites #684
Amazing Spider Man #583
X-Men Origins : Magneto - 4 of 5
Enders Game - 2 of 6
The Eternals # 7

The Cosmic Geek
01-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Just read issue one of Spider-man Noir. It was better than X-men Noir, at least I felt so. I'll give the series a try.

Anyone read issue 1 of Images's Four Eyes? Great comic, nice little twist on history too.

Speaking of history with a twist, Kurt Busiek's Arrowsmith was just awesome. Amazing story, World War 1 with a fantasy twist. Great, great story.

turtlex
01-12-2009, 10:55 AM
I can honestly say I will NOT be continuing with X-Men Noir, I thought it stunk.

Thanks, Cosmic Geek, I might see if I can find Spidey Noir and give it a chance.

The Cosmic Geek
01-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Hope you like it, Turtlex.

I liked what they did in the Spider-man one with the characters, gave them an interesting twist, unlike the X-men one. Sure, these aren't Dashell Hammet's The Maltese Falcon, but they should feel a bit more noirish.

The Spider-man one also is set with a background in history, the Great Depression, that adds to the current story.

Let me know what you think of it, hope it makes up for the X-men one for you.

Rjeso
01-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Anyone reading Old Man Logan in Wolverine right now? Wow, excellent story. Takes place 50 years in the future and Wolverine will no longer fight or use his claws. When you find out why, oh man, what a story.

Yeah, for serious. That was a bit of a shock, eh?

I just finished up the first Alias collection. Don't remember how many issues it covered.

Seymour_Glass
01-12-2009, 01:26 PM
I really want to read Alias. How is it?

The Cosmic Geek
01-12-2009, 06:13 PM

Yeah, for serious. That was a bit of a shock, eh?

I just finished up the first Alias collection. Don't remember how many issues it covered.

I absolutely love Old Man Logan!

I think I read the first trade of Alias a long time ago, don't remember actually.

Seymour_Glass
01-15-2009, 03:09 PM
Okay, has anyone picked up Final Crisis 6? Causeit makes good on the promise of Batman RIP.

fernandito
01-15-2009, 03:12 PM
I really wish I could click on that spoiler Seymour, but I haven't read 6 yet! :panic:

I might pick it up over the weekend though :D