PDA

View Full Version : You Think You Know Someone THEN.....

sarah
04-22-2008, 07:21 AM
.....You find out they don't listen to the same music as you do.

<_<

yes, Brice this thread is directed to your direction. :lol: :huglove:

Wuducynn
04-22-2008, 07:29 AM
What? Brice doesn't listen to c-rap? Brice I knew you were a cool guy all along.

John Blaze
04-22-2008, 07:33 AM
that reminds me, I didn't know my wife was a Laker's fan until after we were married, and she knew I hated the Laker's all along. :angry:

sarah
04-22-2008, 07:35 AM
Ouch, JohnB. That has gotta hurt.

I found out my hubby was allergic to cats AFTER we were married. You think you know someone. <_<

Wuducynn
04-22-2008, 07:38 AM
that reminds me, I didn't know my wife was a Laker's fan until after we were married, and she knew I hated the Laker's all along. :angry:

So when is the divorce proceedings?

John Blaze
04-22-2008, 07:42 AM
my wife didn't tell me she didn't like cats until after we were married, and I had a cat.

John Blaze
04-22-2008, 07:43 AM

So when is the divorce proceedings?

too late now, she'll fuck me with the alimony and chid support.

Wuducynn
04-22-2008, 07:44 AM
Oh well, I guess you're stuck with her then.

Matt
04-22-2008, 07:58 AM
Probably not too bad. :lol:

I didn't know my ex wife liked women until after we were married.

Nerak
04-22-2008, 08:01 AM
Now THAT'S harsh! There is a big difference between penis and vagina!!! LOL

Matt
04-22-2008, 08:04 AM
Yeah, it turned out to be a deal breaker. :lol:

But not till after we had 3 kids. :wub:

John Blaze
04-22-2008, 09:27 AM
wait, that was a bad thing? :D

just kidding!.....kind of.......

Probably not too bad.

no, it's not :D

Daghain
04-22-2008, 09:34 AM
What? Brice doesn't listen to c-rap? Brice I knew you were a cool guy all along.

The c is silent, dear. :lol:

Matt
04-22-2008, 10:03 AM
wait, that was a bad thing? :D

just kidding!.....kind of.......

Probably not too bad. no, it's not :D

If she didn't mind a swinging dick in there, it might have been okay.

But that was a no go...believe me, I asked.

John Blaze
04-22-2008, 10:08 AM
:rofl:

that made me laugh.....i would have asked too.

Girlystevedave
04-22-2008, 10:58 AM
I was very disappointed to learn my husband loves Van Halen:cry:

jayson
04-22-2008, 11:00 AM

i have a whole new respect for you Girly, and I respected you before!

Girlystevedave
04-22-2008, 11:02 AM

:D
Fellow Van Halen hater?

Matt
04-22-2008, 11:06 AM
Classic Van Halen? With David Lee?

That was revolutionary stuff--I guess you had to be there. :lol:

jayson
04-22-2008, 11:16 AM

:D
Fellow Van Halen hater?

yes ma'am, and a fellow one that plays guitar so has to listen to a LOT of Eddie fanboy hero-worship from people when the talk turns to guitar. he may be the end-all be all for some people, but (a) fast isn't great, and (b) there are so many better players that can play faster anyway. just not my kind of music. glad to see i am not alone.

Matt
04-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Sure, it sounds like just the same old thing now. But perspective means that just about every thing you hear now days is based on the Edster.

I don't have any fanboy stuff going on (only for King) but Eddie Van Halen rewrote the book on what an electric guitar could do.

jayson
04-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Sure, it sounds like just the same old thing now. But perspective means that just about every thing you hear now days is based on the Edster.

I don't have any fanboy stuff going on (only for King) but Eddie Van Halen rewrote the book on what an electric guitar could do.

i'm as old as you are matt so i have the perspective. other than the tone [his so-called "brown sound"] eddie didn't invent anything new. there were people doing what he does/did on electric guitar LONG before he did it. he may have been the first to become known for doing it in a pop/rock context but this in no way should be confused with innovating any of the techniques or sounds he gets. believe me, i could go on forever with this, it's a discussion i've had countless times, but in the end it comes down to taste and we each have our own.

Matt
04-22-2008, 11:26 AM
Okay, you win. I'm not a guitar guy :couple:

But I thought he was cool as shit at the time and still love hearing the old stuff today.

whoo-whoo-whoo...Jamie's Cryin'

John Blaze
04-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Kerry King rulez all!!!!

Erin
04-22-2008, 11:31 AM
My boyfriend would agree with you in that respect. And he think's Dave Lombardo is a god on the drums.

jayson
04-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Okay, you win. I'm not a guitar guy :couple:

But I thought he was cool as shit at the time and still love hearing the old stuff today.

whoo-whoo-whoo...Jamie's Cryin'

there's no win or lose among friendly conversations, it's all a matter of differing opinions. :)

and JB, Kerry King is spectacular. he's not really my thing either, but his playing is undeniably sick!

Matt
04-22-2008, 11:35 AM
It was a playful *poke in the ribs*..."you win" kind of thing. :lol:

And btw...you are a year younger than me, that makes all the difference in this kind of stuff. :cool:

jayson
04-22-2008, 11:37 AM
It was a playful *poke in the ribs*..."you win" kind of thing. :lol:

And btw...you are a year younger than me, that makes all the difference in this kind of stuff. :cool:

:lol: ok, have it your way - i win and i'm younger. sounds like it's 2-0 for me.

John Blaze
04-22-2008, 11:37 AM
of course! Slayer is the master rock band.

fernandito
04-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Kerry King rulez all!!!!

ANGEL OF DEAAAAAAAAAAATH!!

I saw them play in the Universal Ampitheatre about two years back - IT RAINED BLOOD.

John Blaze
04-22-2008, 12:19 PM
Bloodline is by far my favorite rock song of all time.

fernandito
04-22-2008, 01:07 PM
I used to listen to that song while playing Blood Omen 2 (PS2), they go perfect together :lol:

John Blaze
04-22-2008, 01:33 PM
i jam out to that when I drive fast.

Aces High, by Iron Maiden also.

Rjeso
04-22-2008, 01:41 PM
John Petrucci is a guitar god.

John Blaze
04-22-2008, 01:57 PM
but he's not as good as Dave Murray

Wuducynn
04-22-2008, 03:25 PM
Did someone say the words Iron Maiden!?? Whooooooooooo hooooooooooo!! I wish I didn't give away my jean jacket with the 7th Son of a 7th Son back-patch on it! Up the mother-fucking Irons! :harrier:

cozener
04-22-2008, 08:47 PM
My wife likes country...didn't know until recently. I have no idea who this woman is thats living in my house. I wonder if she chews tobacco too...

Wuducynn
04-22-2008, 09:07 PM
My wife likes country...didn't know until recently. I have no idea who this woman is thats living in my house. I wonder if she chews tobacco too...

Do you call her mother or mama and does she call you father or dad, or pappa?

Erin
04-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Did someone say the words Iron Maiden!?? Whooooooooooo hooooooooooo!! I wish I didn't give away my jean jacket with the 7th Son of a 7th Son back-patch on it! Up the mother-fucking Irons! :harrier:

"I've got two tickets to Iron Maiden baby....come with me Friday, don't say mayyyybeeee....."

obscurejude
04-22-2008, 10:16 PM
R of G, for what its worth I agree with you about Eddie, very much so. I do appreciate the brown sound, but it never comes up in conversation and most people aren't even aware of it. I was so sick of everyone emulating him in the 80's. One good thing: Kirk Hammett may not have been created if he wasn't rebelling against all the Eddie emulators in California, so I'm thankful for that.

ZoNeSeeK
04-22-2008, 10:20 PM
... brown sound?

obscurejude
04-22-2008, 10:25 PM
From Wikipedia:

is a legendary electric guitar distortion tone that musicians try to emulate using various effects pedals, tube amplifiers and modeling amplifiers.

The term was coined by guitarist Eddie Van Halen to describe the sound of Alex Van Halen's snare drum, which he then attempted to emulate with his 100-watt Marshall amplifier running at full volume. Eddie would use a variac (a device that controls voltage levels) and run it at about 90 volts AC to the power input of the Marshall amp (normally the amp would have 120 volts input in the US; although the older Marshalls like Eddie's were designed in Europe with a 110 volt input rating) this allowed Eddie to lower the voltage input to his Marshall while allowing him to turn the amplifier's volume knob up all the way. This saturated the output tubes without distorting the preamp tubes, and lowered the stress on the amplifier. Eddie would also use a dummy load on the amp output instead of going right to the speakers, then he would add his effects pedals (Eddie found the effects performed better this way) and run the effects into a power amp usually an H&H V800 MOS-FET, then to speakers. He would set his Marshall Amp output resistance at 8 ohms and the dummy load at 20 ohms lowering the stress on the Marshall amp (the Marshall amp basically became one powerful preamp). This all helped to create his brown sound in conjunction with the single PAF pick-up and a high resistance volume pot he installed, without a tone control. Of course this was mainly his recording set-up; Eddie's live setup was a little different. More than the appropriate number of user-submitted product reviews at the well known musician review websites claim that product X can replicate the Brown Sound perfectly.

cozener
04-23-2008, 12:45 AM

Do you call her mother or mama and does she call you father or dad, or pappa?
Na, she calls me cousin-daddy.

Brice
04-23-2008, 12:49 AM
This threads really about THE WHITE STRIPES and my lack of familiarity with (not dislike of) them, isn't it, Sarah???? :lol:

Letti
04-23-2008, 12:50 AM
I thought that I knew myself when a lot of quite interesting and surprising things turned out about me. ;)

Brice
04-23-2008, 12:52 AM
Ooohhhh! This sounds interesting. You should tell us. :couple:

sarah
04-23-2008, 07:46 AM
This threads really about THE WHITE STRIPES and my lack of familiarity with (not dislike of) them, isn't it, Sarah???? :lol:

maybe :unsure:

:huglove:

Brice
04-23-2008, 07:50 AM

maybe :unsure:

...but because you've put them in my mind I was listening to them this morning. :D

sarah
04-23-2008, 07:52 AM
awwww! :wub: I'm so happy to read that from you.

Brice
04-23-2008, 07:56 AM
:wub:

Good! And I DO like them. I just don't know alot of their stuff YET. I don't listen to the radio or watch tv. I only buy CDs and DVDs and download some stuff and there are two ways I decide on what bands/etc.. are worth my time: randomly grabbing something and (mostly) friend's recommendations. :couple:

Wuducynn
04-23-2008, 08:00 AM
Na, she calls me cousin-daddy.

Thats beautiful.