PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Promises

ZoNeSeeK
04-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Who has seen this? I thought it was fantastic.

I'd really be interested in Jeans opinion of the movie, whether Mortensen's russian accent was acceptable.

And fuck, what about that fight scene towards the end? I couldnt stop thinking about Eddie initially battling Balazar in Drawing of the Three, for pretty obvious reasons :P

Grillslinger
04-22-2008, 05:39 AM
I loved this movie! I thought about Eddie a lot too.

Still Servant
04-22-2008, 01:41 PM
I loved Eastern Promises. It was one of my favorite films of the year. Mortenson gives perhaps his best performance.

I'm also fast becoming a fan of Vincent Cassell. He was great in Derailed and I just saw him in a cool French flick with Jean Reno called The Crimson Rivers.

I don't want to give too much away about Promises, but I thought they handled the ending perfectly. It's too bad this movie was released when it was, because it kind of got lost in the shuffle I think.

RUBE
04-22-2008, 05:45 PM
I think this movie showed that Mortenson could possibly play Roland if they ever make a Dark Tower movie. It is not because the characters are similar, it is just because that man can act! (And he is scrawny like I would picture Roland.)

ZoNeSeeK
04-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Yep Yep

Still Servant
04-24-2008, 02:11 PM
I agree Rube. I just wonder if Mortenson will want to do another franchise after doing LoTR. While reading the Dark Tower, I pictured Viggo as Roland.

I also loved him in A History of Violence.

He's also going to play the main character in The Road. Another Cormac McCarthy book. I hope the film is better than the book. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I didn't really enjoy reading that book.

I guess I was expecting something similar to The Stand. Going in with that way of thinking really hurt that book for me because I love The Stand so much.

RUBE
04-25-2008, 02:56 PM
I agree Rube. I just wonder if Mortenson will want to do another franchise after doing LoTR. While reading the Dark Tower, I pictured Viggo as Roland.

I also loved him in A History of Violence.

He's also going to play the main character in The Road. Another Cormac McCarthy book. I hope the film is better than the book. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I didn't really enjoy reading that book.

I guess I was expecting something similar to The Stand. Going in with that way of thinking really hurt that book for me because I love The Stand so much.

You are probably right about Viggo not wanting to do another big franchise. Now that he is established he can be more selective about what he appears in so why tie himself up for who knows how many years playing one character. That is why I think that if they ever do a Dark Tower series of movies that most of the characters will have to be played by up-and-coming actors or people we have never heard of.

As far as The Road goes, I rather enjoyed the book. In fact, I could not put it down. Of course, I did not go into it expecting it to be another The Stand. It is more a story about a father's love for his son and what he would go through to protect him. The Stand is more of an epic struggle between good and evil. So I think that, while they both cover the end of civilization as we know it, they are from very different perspectives and can not exactly be compared. Basically, I think that they are both very good but for different reasons.

Still Servant
04-28-2008, 02:28 PM
I guess I was just left with too many questions after reading The Road.

It's hard for me to care for characters when I don't even know their names. I also wanted to know what exactly happened. They never come right out and say it.

It was also my first Cormac McCarthy book and his style really threw me for a loop. No quotations, not a comma to be found, I guess I just had trouble getting past that.

RUBE
04-28-2008, 06:11 PM
I guess I was just left with too many questions after reading The Road.

It's hard for me to care for characters when I don't even know their names. I also wanted to know what exactly happened. They never come right out and say it.

It was also my first Cormac McCarthy book and his style really threw me for a loop. No quotations, not a comma to be found, I guess I just had trouble getting past that.

We are way off the topic so I will only reply once more about The Road. I was also thrown off by the lack of quotations for the first quarter of the novel but after that I stopped even noticing. As for McCarthy not telling us what happened, I think it was not important to the story itself so he didn't bother explaining it. He could of told the same story whether the world was destroyed by an asteroid or by some global weather disaster. That being said, I think most of the evidence points to a nuclear winter caused by some nuclear war. The constant ash and haze blocking the sun plus the fact that fires seemed to have swept through most of the land leads me to believe this.