PDA

View Full Version : Announcement from SK's site regarding King Reading in Bangor, ME

Nerak
04-19-2008, 03:12 AM
http://www.stephenking.com/assets/images/banner.jpg

"I don’t often get involved in politics, but I believe there is a great deal at stake in this year’s election. It is my pleasure to announce two very special events in Bangor, Maine on June 7th to benefit my friend Congressman Tom Allen’s campaign for the U.S. Senate.

Authors Tess Gerritsen, John Grisham, and I will be attending a special cocktail reception at the Bangor Civic Center. Immediately following that, we will be reading our favorite passages of some of the stories we have written – in front of what we’re sure will be a great audience at the Bangor Auditorium. I hope you can join us for these special events.

Saturday, June 7th

Host Committee Cocktail Reception: 5:00-6:00 pm
Bangor Civic Center, Bass Park Complex, 100 Dutton Street, Bangor, ME

General Admission Event: 7:00 pm (Doors Open at 6:00)
Bangor Auditorium, Bass Park Complex, 100 Dutton Street, Bangor, ME

You can buy tickets to both events - or just one - by clicking here http://www.tomallen.org/free_details.asp?id=103

And all the proceeds will certainly go to a good cause. Tess, John, and I believe that we need change in America. What has happened to our country in the last eight years is downright scary - and believe me, I know scary.

In 2002, Tom Allen courageously stood up to the President and to members of his own party by voting against the Iraq War. He supports opportunity for the middle class, energy independence, and affordable health care. Electing Tom Allen to the U.S. Senate is an important step towards change for our country, and we are proud to support him.

I hope you’ll join us on June 7th. Click here to purchase tickets now. http://www.tomallen.org/free_details.asp?id=103 We look forward to seeing you there!"

Sincerely,
Stephen King

Proceeds from this event will benefit Tom Allen for Senate. Funds from corporations, labor unions, national banks, federal contractors, or foreign nationals may not be accepted. Contributions are limited by law to $2,300 per election, per individual. An individual may give up to $2,300 for the primary election (before June 10, 2008) and up to $2,300 for the general election. Federal law requires political campaigns to use their best efforts to obtain and report the name, mailing address, occupation, and name of employer for each individual whose contributions aggregate in excess of $200 in an election cycle.

Ticket purchasers must confirm that:

1. They are not a foreign national who lacks permanent residence in the United States.
2. They are not a Federal government contractor.
3. This contribution is made from their own funds, and not those of another.
4. This contribution is not made from the funds of a corporation or labor organization.
5. This contribution is made on a personal credit card or debit card for which they have the legal obligation to pay, and is not made either on a corporate or business entity card or on the card of another person.
6. They are at least eighteen years old.

Contributions to Tom Allen for Senate are not tax deductible.

Paid for by Tom Allen for Senate

different_seasons
04-19-2008, 04:26 AM
Just got 2.

Brice
04-19-2008, 04:30 AM
I just have one question. If all ticket packages include "preferred seating" how can they really be considered "preferred"? :lol:

different_seasons
04-19-2008, 04:37 AM
I just have one question. If all ticket packages include "preferred seating" how can they really be considered "preferred"? :lol:

B/C the Bangor Civic Center is very small!

It's also 45 minutes away!

edit: sorry about all the (!), I'm just a little excited!

Brice
04-19-2008, 04:39 AM
Ah, I see.

I hope you have a great time. :) I'm sure you will, of course.

Nerak
04-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Just got 2.

Your taking me, right!!!?????

mia/susannah
04-19-2008, 05:52 PM
Wish I could go to this event. Cannot afford to though. Times are to hard right now

different_seasons
04-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Just got 2.

Sorry.:) I think my old man is going, he really likes John Gristham.

Next time maybe?

Jon
04-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Is Tom Allen related to Woody Allen?

Nerak
04-20-2008, 06:15 AM
Just got 2.

Sorry.:) I think my old man is going, he really likes John Gristham.

Next time maybe?

Oh, alright! lol

ZoNeSeeK
04-20-2008, 05:38 PM
Is Tom Allen related to Woody Allen?

or Tim Allen?

Matt
04-22-2008, 06:46 AM
This was posted on Kings site, not sure if it has been mentioned but man...how can I convince my sweetie to go to Bangor this summer? :lol:

On June 7, 2008, Stephen will be joined by fellow authors John Grisham and Tess Gerritsen to do a reading in Bangor, Maine. Click here (http://stephenking.com/assets/reading/) for details regarding the event and information how to purchase tickets.

Storyslinger
04-22-2008, 06:46 AM
It was, let me find it.

Matt
04-22-2008, 06:49 AM
Thanks man, its hard for me to keep up. :lol:

You can just delete this thread when you find it if you want. Merge is also fine.

Storyslinger
04-22-2008, 07:05 AM
Problem solved.

It looks like it is going to be a great event.

turtlex
04-22-2008, 09:22 AM
Not sure if anyone posted this yet, but I do apologize if this is a repeat post.

http://stephenking.com/assets/reading/

Reading with Stephen King, John Grisham & Tess Gerritsen in Bangor, ME June 7, 2008

Patrick
04-22-2008, 12:51 PM
You East Coasters just keep rubbing it in our West Coast faces, don't you. Sheesh. :angry:

Nerak
04-22-2008, 03:09 PM
:P

Fsmdr
04-22-2008, 05:46 PM
I did not see anyone posting this yet. For those who have not seen this.

Newsletter from King's web site:

I don’t often get involved in politics, but I believe there is a great deal at stake in this year’s election. It is my pleasure to announce two very special events in Bangor, Maine on June 7th to benefit my friend Congressman Tom Allen’s campaign for the U.S. Senate.

Authors Tess Gerritsen, John Grisham, and I will be attending a special cocktail reception at the Bangor Civic Center. Immediately following that, we will be reading our favorite passages of some of the stories we have written – in front of what we’re sure will be a great audience at the Bangor Auditorium. I hope you can join us for these special events.

Saturday, June 7th

Host Committee Cocktail Reception: 5:00-6:00 pm
Bangor Civic Center, Bass Park Complex, 100 Dutton Street, Bangor, ME

General Admission Event: 7:00 pm (Doors Open at 6:00)
Bangor Auditorium, Bass Park Complex, 100 Dutton Street, Bangor, ME

You can buy tickets to both events - or just one - by clicking here.

And all the proceeds will certainly go to a good cause. Tess, John, and I believe that we need change in America. What has happened to our country in the last eight years is downright scary - and believe me, I know scary.

In 2002, Tom Allen courageously stood up to the President and to members of his own party by voting against the Iraq War. He supports opportunity for the middle class, energy independence, and affordable health care. Electing Tom Allen to the U.S. Senate is an important step towards change for our country, and we are proud to support him.

I hope you’ll join us on June 7th. Click here to purchase tickets now. We look forward to seeing you there!

Sincerely,
Stephen King

Randall Flagg
04-22-2008, 06:17 PM
I am going to merge this with a thread in the official King announcement area.
I will leavea brief redirect.
Thanks so much for posting the info...I really am envious of East Coast residents as this never happens on the "left coast".

Rahfa
04-22-2008, 06:25 PM
I had some highs, lows then a middle of the road when I saw it...

First, I was excited..."Bangor! Hooray! I can drive!"

Followed by "$1,000 for a signed book? Wha? I can't justify that!"

Followed by "Oh, who cares, I won't be in the country on that date anyway."

I would have considered it IF their was some clarification that you can bring a book...but I have a feeling at an event like that it's one of those, 'thanks for your money, here's a book for you' type things with a receiving line, not an actual signing.

Patrick
04-22-2008, 08:17 PM
:lol:

By the way, someone might consider amending the thread title to include something about the "Appearance by SK" because an "Announcement" from another website is pretty generic. Also, I think this belongs in The Oracle forum.

I'm still bitter. :P

Patrick
04-22-2008, 08:20 PM
I am going to merge this with a thread in the official King announcement area.
I will leave a brief redirect.
Thanks so much for posting the info...I really am envious of East Coast residents as this never happens on the "left coast".
Shouldn't the final merged thread end up in this forum with the other appearance announcements?

I agree with Jerome, we're getting the short end of the stick out west here. :P

turtlex
04-23-2008, 02:35 AM
I guess we are somewhat lucky here on the East Coast. I was fortunate enough to attend one of the NYC readings that SK did with JK Rowling and John Irving. That was so cool.

different_seasons
04-23-2008, 04:06 AM
They are checking ID's on this one too so if you are even considering getting one, do it. The tickets arrive via email with your name on it, there won't be much available on the secondary market.

Bev Vincent
04-23-2008, 05:36 AM
Especially due to the limitations because it's a political fundraiser.

Nerak
04-23-2008, 05:54 AM
get over it :P

Randall Flagg
04-23-2008, 06:01 AM

By the way, someone might consider amending the thread title to include something about the "Appearance by SK" because an "Announcement" from another website is pretty generic. Also, I think this belongs in The Oracle forum.

I took care of the title.
I also had to merge three threads and move two, but I think they are all together and in the right place now.
And I am bitter too.:cry:

different_seasons
04-23-2008, 06:52 AM

I took care of the title.
I also had to merge three threads and move two, but I think they are all together and in the right place now.
And I am bitter too.:cry:

I'm bitter too; I donated $50 for two tickets to a democrat. Now I have to donate $100 to McCain just to even it out, so these two seats are going to cost me.

And don't get me started on the hippies that will be there.

Nerak
04-23-2008, 06:53 AM
aaron! LOL

Rahfa
04-23-2008, 09:49 AM
Everyone gets this is just an appearance, right? He's not doing a signing unless you pony up a lot of cash...and even then I don't think he's doing a signing at all...probably just hand you a book at the end of a receiving line.

Matt
04-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Correct, there is no signing--if you buy the package, you get a signed book as a part of that.

However, Ms. Mod has announced that she is trying to set up a "get together" for those that are going. Meeting her would be cool as hell imo.

I have added this to our current news page.

Wuducynn
04-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Meeting Mahsha would be wicked cool.

Matt
04-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by Moderator http://www.stephenking.com/forums/images/buttons_skin3/viewpost.gif (http://www.stephenking.com/forums/showthread.php?p=154628#post154628)
Steve just asked me to announce that he will be signing 1,000 bookplates to be given to the first 1,000 general admission ticket purchases.

The above is from the SKMB

Nerak
04-30-2008, 05:08 PM
mmmm $25 bucks for a book plate...crap, I am still broke! :(

Aaron
05-01-2008, 06:37 AM
When I scroll down the page I keep having John Grisham and Tess Gerritsen on the page, only it looks like it says John Tesh. :lol:

Matt
05-01-2008, 06:37 AM
Now that would be a valuable bookplate!!

Patrick
05-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Moderator http://www.stephenking.com/forums/images/buttons_skin3/viewpost.gif (http://www.stephenking.com/forums/showthread.php?p=154628#post154628)
Steve just asked me to announce that he will be signing 1,000 bookplates to be given to the first 1,000 general admission ticket purchases.

Are they going to mail them out to ticketholders or do you have to actually attend the event?

different_seasons
05-07-2008, 06:44 PM

Are they going to mail them out to ticketholders or do you have to actually attend the event?

I'm guessing you get them in person, the tickets were emailed. I don't know what number I have, but I'd get two anyway, as my father wouldn't be interested in a bookplate.

I hope to get some decent pictures while I'm there, which I'll post in here.

Just a little while longer....

Patrick
05-08-2008, 03:29 PM
I'd be happy to take that extra bookplate off your hands... :D

Bev Vincent
05-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Maine fundraiser postponed after King's remarks on military (http://www.boston.com/news/local/maine/articles/2008/05/12/maine_fundraiser_postponed_after_kings_remarks_on_ military/)

A Bangor fundraiser featuring three best-selling novelists for Senate candidate Tom Allen has been postponed in the aftermath of a controversy surrounding Stephen King's remarks about literacy and the military.

King, who was scheduled to appear June 7 with John Grisham and Tess Gerritsen, expressed fear Monday that what was meant to be a literary event could have become all too political.

King took flak for comments he made to students on April 4 at the Library of Congress while stressing the importance for job seekers of being able to read. "If you don't," he said, "then you've got the Army, Iraq, I don't know, something like that."

In a statement relayed Monday by the Allen campaign, King said he doesn't want to be a distraction. Said King: "Since that might be the case now, it's best to do this event later, but it's just too good not to do it at all."

Allen spokeswoman Carol Andrews said people who bought tickets to the $25-a-person fundraiser can contact the campaign for a refund.

Allen, a sixth-term Democratic congressman, is challenging Republican Sen. Susan Collins.

different_seasons
05-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Maine fundraiser postponed after King's remarks on military (http://www.boston.com/news/local/maine/articles/2008/05/12/maine_fundraiser_postponed_after_kings_remarks_on_ military/)

A Bangor fundraiser featuring three best-selling novelists for Senate candidate Tom Allen has been postponed in the aftermath of a controversy surrounding Stephen King's remarks about literacy and the military.

King, who was scheduled to appear June 7 with John Grisham and Tess Gerritsen, expressed fear Monday that what was meant to be a literary event could have become all too political.

King took flak for comments he made to students on April 4 at the Library of Congress while stressing the importance for job seekers of being able to read. "If you don't," he said, "then you've got the Army, Iraq, I don't know, something like that."

In a statement relayed Monday by the Allen campaign, King said he doesn't want to be a distraction. Said King: "Since that might be the case now, it's best to do this event later, but it's just too good not to do it at all."

Allen spokeswoman Carol Andrews said people who bought tickets to the $25-a-person fundraiser can contact the campaign for a refund.

Allen, a sixth-term Democratic congressman, is challenging Republican Sen. Susan Collins.

This is most sucky.

jhanic
05-12-2008, 06:03 PM
Actually, it's a good move by King. He's become a distraction in a race which the challenger, Allen, doesn't need, and King realizes this. I think he's doing the best thing for Allen.

John

Bev Vincent
05-13-2008, 02:28 AM
I just feel bad for people who've purchased airline tickets to fly to Bangor and now have to get 'em refunded or rescheduled somehow.

jhanic
05-13-2008, 03:23 AM
Truth!

John

Matt
05-13-2008, 07:22 AM
Thanks for posting this Bev, I had just read it and was coming to do the same.

I'll add that its been canceled to the site page.

Patrick
05-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Bummer.

different_seasons
05-13-2008, 12:21 PM
We are currently working on rescheduling the event for the fall and will give you the first opportunity to reserve tickets once we have a new date.

We would appreciate the opportunity to keep your contribution as a show of support for the changes we need in our country. However, if you would like a full refund for your ticket... :doh: :doh: