PDA

View Full Version : Observations on the road

IvaGodiva
04-16-2008, 06:00 PM
So the other day I pull up next to teenage girls at a stop light. Ordinarily I wouldn't have thought twice about except for the fact that they were both singing the opening song to the lion king in their car. I don't mean just going along with the words, but were literally belting it out. First of all who knows the beginning of that song by heart...it's in some tribal African language! Secondly, that means they actually took the effort to learn the words. Thirdly, why were they practically screaming it in unison... just plain creepy. Did I mention they were both wearing knitted Rastafarian hats.... uhhhhh ok??

So as I'm thinking to myself wtf... I couldn't help but start laughing, not to be mean but more because I thought there is no way they can be serious. Just as I assumed that they must have been doing some sort of weird psychology experiment for school, they turn and glare at me! I haven't gotten a dirty look like that in years. As a matter of fact I don't think I've ever gotten a dirty look like that ever before in my life. They looked at me like they were going to run me off the road as if I had just stood up in the middle of their Broadway show performance and heckled...BOOOOOO!!!!!!

Anyways, I'm still not quite sure what to think of the whole weird incident. This definitely beats the gothic hermaphrodite Elvis doing America's next top model walk up the street. Did I mention I live i the suburbs?

ZoNeSeeK
04-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Easy, they have to be Academy of Performing Arts students.

Noone else can be that annoying in public. Although, the opening Lion King song is pretty cool :)

I remember on this one particular day @ Uni, all these fuckwads were running around and digging in the leaves and acting like lunatics and chasing people out of the library and making a whole lot of mess and this woman sitting next to be (who looked about 50 and was chainsmoking) just scoffed and said "Fucks sake. Fucking academy students on a shitted field assignment again. Someone get a hose."

:D

Hannah
04-17-2008, 09:03 AM
We have this guy around town (north Denver metro area) that is almost an urban legend. We call him, "The Rocker." The guy walks around town, sometimes in naught but his leather vest and jeans, sometimes in his striped zebra vest w/ a black t-shirt underneath and he ROCKS. He rocks as he walks, playing air guitar and singing along to whatever tune he has on his walkman.

Sometimes he does the elusive "no-no-no" waggling finger point as he walks and rocks.

And sometimes he doesn't even have the walkman, but he rocks anyways!

Seeing The Rocker is something you always share with your friends and family. It's like a Bigfoot sighting, only it rocks harder.

Erin
04-17-2008, 09:09 AM
:lol: Hannah that's so funny. I'd love to see him.

We've got a guy here in Richmond named Big World. He's basically a 400lb black man who rides around either on a bike or a riding lawnmower and sits at intersections all day long, laughing manically while waving at the cars. He does this day in day out.

Like Hannah said, having an encounter with Big World is like seeing bigfoot, you have to tell everyone.

I've had two "special" encounters with him. First, I was in the Taco Bell drive thru when he walked up next to my car and dumped a huge drink over his head. Second, it was about 1am and I pulled up to an intersection. Big World was standing on one foot staring at a spot on the ground. I was at the intersection for about 3 minutes and he didn't move the entire time. :lol:

Gotta love the town crazies.

Girlystevedave
04-17-2008, 09:35 AM
There's a guy around here that thinks he's Elvis. He's got the big hair, sunglasses, everything. Sometimes, he's done up in the sequin outfit, I swear! He started talking to me in a store one day...needless to say, I just tried to back away slowly while being polite.

Rjeso
04-17-2008, 09:38 AM
We have this guy around town (north Denver metro area) that is almost an urban legend. We call him, "The Rocker." The guy walks around town, sometimes in naught but his leather vest and jeans, sometimes in his striped zebra vest w/ a black t-shirt underneath and he ROCKS. He rocks as he walks, playing air guitar and singing along to whatever tune he has on his walkman.

Sometimes he does the elusive "no-no-no" waggling finger point as he walks and rocks.

And sometimes he doesn't even have the walkman, but he rocks anyways!

Seeing The Rocker is something you always share with your friends and family. It's like a Bigfoot sighting, only it rocks harder.

:rofl: That is too awesome. We just have nameless homeless guys with Kermit puppets or dudes that only know how to play one song on a flute (that song being the Barney theme song).

alinda
04-17-2008, 10:05 AM
*SNORT* Y'all make me remember
living in NYC all those years....
that town has a million of em!
Sadly, I was so stoned at the
time, I cant recall any specific
tales to relate to ya. I do think
your stories are wonderful tho'.:nana:

Mark
04-17-2008, 10:38 AM
There used to be this old woman, round near my school called Phillis, she's about 80 or something, and me and Andy were walking to school and we saw her chasing pigeons, with a purse shaped like a cat, shouting "Get 'em! get 'em!" to her purse. Me and Andy were stunned, then, we came out of school and walked past near were she did the thingy, and she was sat on a door-step of some bank next to one of the bakers, stroking her cat and smoking, muttering "You got 'em good".

There is also a guy called Dirty Harry around ours, people always see him on the bus station, with his dirty hair and dirty clothes, eating pie and smoking, mumbling incoherently. I think he has his own facebook group or something with like 1000 members, all from 'round mine. (It's either him or my ICT teacher, either way, both of 'em have loads of people)

Fall of Gilead
04-17-2008, 06:49 PM
What makes me sick is the sheer amount of people dancing in their car. There was one occasion I noticed where a guy dancing in his car pulled up to the stoplight and as he was stopping turned the wheel back and forth to make his front wheels dance also.

John Blaze
04-17-2008, 07:16 PM
i do that, foggy.

i also pump the brakes to make my car rock. And I sing along to the stereo, specially if Metallica is playing.

I rock :cool:

Hannah
04-17-2008, 07:46 PM
I rock out too, JB. The saddest thing is that I even rock out to Paris's Hannah Montana CD.

John Blaze
04-17-2008, 07:52 PM
the best of both world's, huh? :lol:

i know the lyrics to most of the Disney songs, from all classics anyway.

Fox and the Hound is one of my favorites.

Unfound One
04-17-2008, 08:37 PM
i do that, foggy.

i also pump the brakes to make my car rock. And I sing along to the stereo, specially if Metallica is playing.

I love when I see someone in front of me pumping their brakes to music.
I do it all the time. :)

Daghain
04-17-2008, 08:45 PM
I totally jam in the car.

No one else wants to hear me sing - trust me. :lol:

Fall of Gilead
04-18-2008, 07:21 AM
i do that, foggy.

:doh:

I guess in your defense, John the music I heard coming out of that guy's car sounded like gangsta rap so I immediately labeled it stupid.

John Blaze
04-18-2008, 05:32 PM
well that's ok, but I'm afraid I've rocked out to rap too, as well as country, spanish music of different varieties, and a couple of times, opera; my favorite being Andrea Bocelli and Charlotte Church.

ZoNeSeeK
04-20-2008, 11:15 PM
There's this woman who rides on a little motorbike around the perth CBD and its decked out in aussie flags and she has a megaphone and just rants at everyone and screams that we should be supporting australia, even though noone is actually doing anything that would indicate the contrary. I think the police siezed her motorbike so she started using a push bike. A few weeks later she disappeared so we assume she either couldnt be fucked anymore or she veered in front of a car or something (her driving skills left much to be desired, I saw her clip the side mirror off a car once when she was yelling at us in the beer garden out the front of one of the city bars and then she careened into another parked car and put a dent in the door, and then she started abusing the car and threw one of her flags at it, then she pissed off).

mia/susannah
04-21-2008, 04:00 PM
These are very funny stories. laughing my ass off for the most part.

mia/susannah
04-21-2008, 04:04 PM
I got some weird looks on a road trip one year. My husband, 3 girls and I took a trip back home to Georgia. We took 4 cats with us. We live in New York. So, here we are going down I-95 with 4 cats laying around the car. One cat on the dashboard and 3 cats laying on the backs of the seats. People driving by us would take a double look and slow down to make sure of what they were seeing. The cats loved the trip. and on the way home from Georgia, we brought home another kitten so we traveled back with 5 cats. It was a fun trip.

Girlystevedave
06-27-2008, 09:01 PM
I saw something funny the other day as I was driving through the mall parking lot. I saw a security guard on one of those segway scooters buzzing through the parking lot, which was funny by itself.
Then my sister said: "Oh shit, they're training him!"
As we got closer, I saw a bunch of orange safety cones that the guy was weaving in and out of while two more guards stood nearby with clipboards in their hands.
:rofl:

fernandito
06-27-2008, 09:07 PM
Did he bust a wheelie?

Girlystevedave
06-27-2008, 09:09 PM
heehee :lol:

obscurejude
06-27-2008, 10:30 PM
I saw something funny the other day as I was driving through the mall parking lot. I saw a security guard on one of those segway scooters buzzing through the parking lot, which was funny by itself.
As we got closer, I saw a bunch of orange safety cones that the guy was weaving in and out of while two more guards stood nearby with clipboards in their hands.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

fernandito
06-27-2008, 10:39 PM
heehee :lol:

Can I take that as a yes? :evil:

Girlystevedave
06-27-2008, 10:40 PM
Take that as a : "I WISH!!"

fernandito
06-27-2008, 10:43 PM
Or did he bust this?

http://s4.mcstatic.com/thumb/469391/3239053/4/directors_cut/0/1/wheelie_team_scooter_stunts.jpg

Girlystevedave
06-27-2008, 10:45 PM

Heather19
06-28-2008, 07:53 AM

:lol: Didn't know you actually had to train someone to use those.

Daghain
06-28-2008, 11:57 AM
There's a guy that rides past work every afternoon on one of those. Considering I don't think they have a very large range, I think he's just too lazy to walk to work. :lol:

fernandito
06-29-2008, 05:47 PM
So I was driving to this family reunion thingie yesterday afternoon. I was on the freeway, talking to my brother when I see something out of the corner of my eye - the gastank of a car next to me just caught fire out of nowhere! A man that was in a car that was to the immediate left of the flaming vehicle rolled down his window and yelled out YOUR CAR IS ON FIRE! The lady replied "What?" Then the man repeated YOUR CAR IS ON FIRE! And when the lady driving the flaming car noticed the flames sprouting from beneath and the left side of the car, she had this bug-eyed look of sheer terror and she immediately pulled over to the shoulder lane. Crazy :)

Heather19
06-30-2008, 02:01 PM
That is pretty crazy. Thank goodness someone saw it and told her otherwise who knows if she would have realized what was going on.
Kinda bizarre that it just caught on fire though, I wonder what happened.

Jon
07-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Damned hillbillys. Try to find a country road in Tenn. set up like a grid. In Indiana, if I am at 400 south and 500 east I know that I am 4 miles south of the county courthouse and 5 miles east of it.

In Tenn. recently a highway was closed so I took a detour all the roads were named things like "old saw Mill Road" or "Brick Church Road" or "Willow Grove cemetery Road." Damn that was a bitch to navigate!!

Girlystevedave
07-03-2008, 08:06 AM
That reminds me of one time when a co-worker and me had to drive out to what seemed to be the middle of nowhere to find a wildlife animal rehab place to take an injured bird to. So, we realize as we're nearing the location that her gas gage is very very low, but we kept thinking: "We should be there soon." So, we finally find the "road" we're looking for. It seemed to be half as wide as her car and as we start to drive down it, we see that there is just a gravel road ahead, leading down into wooded area. We could literally see nothing but trees and I think an abandoned shack at the bottom. It was a steep road with a huge drop off on one side. Do you think there were any guard rails? :nope: We both loked at each other and we're like: "What!? The damn place is down there?"
I said: "You know, this is the kinda of shit scary movies are made of. An abandoned road into nowhere while we are almost out of gas. We are not going down there." :lol:

My mama didn't raise no fool! :)

Girlystevedave
08-26-2008, 11:01 AM
I was at a redlight earlier and looked over and there was one of those sex-toy shops. Well, I was reading the sign out front and it went something like: Kinky stuff for her and him..sexy shoes..(bla bla bla)... Personal Rear Entrance "
:rofl: Yeah, I'm sure there will be for most of those shoppers. If they get the right 'kinky' items. :rofl: