PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Tower: End-World Almanac

CyberGhostface
04-15-2008, 12:13 PM
http://i.newsarama.com/marvelnew/July2008/full/dark_tower_endworld_alm.jpg
DARK TOWER: END-WORLD ALMANAC
Written by ANTHONY FLAMINI & ROBIN FURTH
Cover by JAE LEE & RICHARD ISANOVE
Woe unto those who traverse beyond the cursed Borderlands into End-World! ’Tis a twisted and desolate realm where it seems as if the world passed ages ago. From the blasted landscapes of Thunderclap to the frozen heights of Empathica, End-World shows no mercy to unwary young Gunslingers. In a world where information – and a bit of luck – is the key to survival, the End-World Almanac serves as your guide to the Badlands, Le Casse Roi Russe and beyond!

jayson
04-15-2008, 12:32 PM
that looks awesome!

jhanic
04-15-2008, 12:34 PM
It looks really great. Where can we get one?

John

Wuducynn
04-15-2008, 12:34 PM
http://i.newsarama.com/marvelnew/July2008/full/dark_tower_endworld_alm.jpg
DARK TOWER: END-WORLD ALMANAC
Written by ANTHONY FLAMINI & ROBIN FURTH
Cover by JAE LEE & RICHARD ISANOVE
Woe unto those who traverse beyond the cursed Borderlands into End-World! ’Tis a twisted and desolate realm where it seems as if the world passed ages ago. From the blasted landscapes of Thunderclap to the frozen heights of Empathica, End-World shows no mercy to unwary young Gunslingers. In a world where information – and a bit of luck – is the key to survival, the End-World Almanac serves as your guide to the Badlands, Le Casse Roi Russe and beyond!

Alright, another must have...but when is the publication date?

jayson
04-15-2008, 12:44 PM
july according to the marvel site

Wuducynn
04-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Thanks, Jayson.

Daghain
04-15-2008, 12:52 PM
:excited: :panic:

Must have!

Wuducynn
04-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Funny thing is, I have looked all over Marvel.com and can't find anything about the End-World Almanac, let alone a publish date.

jayson
04-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Funny thing is, I have looked all over Marvel.com and can't find anything about the End-World Almanac, let alone a publish date.

http://comics.ign.com/articles/866/866529p1.html

Wuducynn
04-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Thats IGN...you said Marvel...is that a part of Marvel?

jayson
04-15-2008, 12:56 PM
Thats IGN...you said Marvel...is that a part of Marvel?

i mis-spoke. cry pardon.

Wuducynn
04-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Just wanted to be sure, because while I know I'm crazy I just wanted to be sure I wasn't nuts.

Patrick
04-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Looking forward to this!

jhanic
04-15-2008, 01:06 PM
I wonder if this consists of the stuff left out of the hardcover edition that was in the individual issues.

John

Daghain
04-15-2008, 01:11 PM
I would hope it's all new stuff.

fernandito
04-15-2008, 02:06 PM
That cover alone is worth the purchase.

Bev Vincent
04-16-2008, 05:22 AM
Did you ever want to know more about End-World?

Dark Tower: The End-World Almanac (http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?id=9078 )

CARDSTOCK COVER/Parental Advisory . . . $3.99
©2008 Stephen King. All rights reserved

PRICE: 3.99
IN STORES: July 2, 2008

http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/covers/0708/dark_tower_endworld_alm.jpg

turtlex
04-16-2008, 05:25 AM
Sweet!

For those who order comics from a shop - you would pre-order those in May, I believe. Check your previews.

Matt
04-16-2008, 07:58 AM
:o

This is one I will have to have. Thanks Bev. :couple:

Daghain
04-16-2008, 08:57 AM
We're discussing that over in the comics threads right now. There's a pretty large puddle of collective drool over there. :lol:

Wuducynn
04-16-2008, 08:59 AM
There's a pretty large puddle of collective drool over there. :lol:

Oh is THAT what that substance was...

Daghain
04-16-2008, 09:06 AM
Yes. What did you think it was?

Oh...nevermind. I really don't want to know. :lol:

MonteGss
04-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Looks kinda cool, not sure if I'll get it though. I still don't have the Guidebook thingy yet. Each issue and hardcover so far for me. I'm happy. :)

Wuducynn
04-16-2008, 09:27 AM
The Guidebook is awesome. I'm really looking forward to this End-World Almanac, it looks to be even better.

Daghain
04-16-2008, 09:30 AM
The Guidebooks IS awesome. What do you think I've been using for the Towerpedia! articles? :)

jhanic
04-16-2008, 09:32 AM
As I mentioned in the Comics thread, I wonder if this new Almanac has the stuff that was left out of the hardcover Gunslinger Born.

John

Wuducynn
04-16-2008, 09:34 AM
No, I doubt it. It will have expansions on things mentioned in The Long Road Home, specifically about End-World I'm guessing.

jhanic
04-16-2008, 09:51 AM
Got my fingers crossed that you're right!! More new material!

John

Wuducynn
04-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Well the Guidebook has expansions on things and characters within The Gunslinger Born..so I'm guessing this will be like that..makes sense.

Daghain
04-16-2008, 10:40 AM
I merged Bev's thread with the existing one here. :)

Wuducynn
04-16-2008, 10:44 AM
I was wondering about that...

Daghain
04-16-2008, 10:46 AM
It involved a combining of superpowers to pull it off. :lol:

Patrick
04-16-2008, 01:39 PM
Thanks, Daghain. :couple:

Daghain
04-16-2008, 01:47 PM
No worries! :)

werlost
05-01-2008, 02:29 PM
This is from Marvel,.com:

COVER BY: JAE LEE & RICHARD ISANOVE
WRITER: ANTHONY FLAMINI
ROBIN FURTH
PENCILS:
THE STORY:

MonteGss
05-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Or:
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=2637

Matt
05-01-2008, 02:44 PM
This is from Marvel,.com:

COVER BY: JAE LEE & RICHARD ISANOVE
WRITER: ANTHONY FLAMINI
ROBIN FURTH
PENCILS:
THE STORY:

Thanks for the post werlost--we have an announcement for this particular thing but its great to have you here.

Welcome to the board. :rock:

CyberGhostface
05-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Its probably going to be like the guidebook they released earlier. I have a feeling that when they do get collected, its going to be in a seperate trade/hc, or in the Deluxe Omnibus.

Sai Farson
06-19-2008, 09:35 AM
It looks much better than the first Guidebook, actually.

Has anyone seen the preview art?

http://www.stephenking.com/pages/news/dt_almanac/

http://www.stephenking.com/pages/news/dt_almanac/DarkTower_Almanac_Preview1.jpg

http://www.stephenking.com/pages/news/dt_almanac/DarkTower_Almanac_Preview2.jpg

:onfire: So looking forward to this . . .

Daghain
06-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Me too!!!!

Empath of the White
06-19-2008, 08:44 PM
I like the Grandfathers and the Bumbler, but I thought the Manni were stictly Borderland/In-World/ Mid-World dwellers?

Can't wait to see their take on the taheen and cantoi! :panic:

Brainslinger
06-20-2008, 08:57 AM
Nice pictures, that's for sure. Interesting stylized interpretation of the vampires, albeit the tooth encrusted skin (assuming thats what those spikes are) looks a bit too symmetrical.

I think they look too muscular too (they're very strong, but you get the impression they look pretty decrepit in the books. Well... not pretty, but you know what I mean. They look really cool though...

CyberGhostface
06-23-2008, 03:55 PM
I don't recall Barlow looking like that...

Empath of the White
06-23-2008, 05:31 PM
I pictured the Manni as looking more like wizards...in my mind's eye, Henchick looked a bit like that hooded hermit that Led Zep uses for their Stairway stuff.

Brainslinger
06-24-2008, 04:06 PM
I don't recall Barlow looking like that...

No he didn't, although I can see why they came up with that appearance from the dixie pig. Well, apart from the symetricality of the teeth/spikes I mentioned earlier.

I've often wondered why Barlow looked different. Many put it down to glamour, but I figured it was more to do with the amount of blood he had imbibed, and having time to regenerate. I thought maybe the dixie pig vamps were newly awoken since there are usually only 2-3 awake at one time. (If that makes sense.)

CyberGhostface
06-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Did they look like that in DT7? My general impression was that they looked incredibly ancient and decrepit, but I don't seem to recall them looking like full-blown monsters. Although I haven't read the series in a long time.

Empath of the White
06-24-2008, 07:31 PM
I always figured that the differences between Barlow and the Grandfathers from End-World was that the End-World Grandfathers were once mutants that were bitten by the red spiders, hence the toothy projections from their skin

Brainslinger
06-25-2008, 10:55 AM
I always figured that the differences between Barlow and the Grandfathers from End-World was that the End-World Grandfathers were once mutants that were bitten by the red spiders, hence the toothy projections from their skin

Quite possibly! I wondered if they were can-toi who had been possessed by demons, since the grandfathers supposedly came from the prim itself. The can-toi are described as having toothy skin too. I like your reference to the red spiders though, that could be the method of possession I guess.

Brainslinger
06-25-2008, 10:57 AM
Did they look like that in DT7? My general impression was that they looked incredibly ancient and decrepit, but I don't seem to recall them looking like full-blown monsters. Although I haven't read the series in a long time.

You're right. The faces were pretty close I thought, with the huge teeth. The bodies in that picture look like the others on steroids. ;)

Sai Farson
06-30-2008, 09:50 AM
The Stephen King site just posted a new preview, including an End-World map and Guardians article:

http://www.stephenking.com/pages/news/dt_almanac/sneak_peak/

http://www.stephenking.com/pages/news/dt_almanac/sneak_peak/2.jpg

http://www.stephenking.com/pages/news/dt_almanac/sneak_peak/3.jpg

Wes
06-30-2008, 11:43 AM
I new here and this is prolly the wrong place to ask, but does anyone know if the prose fiction included with the individual issues of the The Gunslinger Born are or will be available elsewhere?

Daghain
06-30-2008, 12:20 PM
There's a general thread about the omnibus here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=892). As far as I know, there are no plans to release the additional material separately, but you never know. :)

Brainslinger
06-30-2008, 07:21 PM
This is a bit of nitpick, but... The 'White Lands of Empathica.' Weren't they white simply because it happened to be winter when they crossed it? It's been a while since I read it, I just think they're making a bit of a deal out of the White thing. Labeling it as that on the map I mean.

Lovely art though.

Wuducynn
06-30-2008, 07:29 PM
This is a bit of nitpick, but... The 'White Lands of Empathica.' Weren't they white simply because it happened to be winter when they crossed it? It's been a while since I read it, I just think they're making a bit of a deal out of the White thing. Labeling it as that on the map I mean.

Lovely art though.

The White Lands of Empathica sure seemed to have proper noun status in The Dark Tower.

Sai Farson
06-30-2008, 07:38 PM

Lovely art though.

I remember it being because of the elevation, not the particular season.

Sai Farson
07-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Wow! The Almanac finally named all of the Guardians, and went into some detail about Chuchundra (the Rat), Garm (the Dog), and Rocinante (the Horse). Very cool so far! :thumbsup:

Wuducynn
07-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Wow! The Almanac finally named all of the Guardians, and went into some detail about Chuchundra (the Rat), Garm (the Dog), and Rocinante (the Horse). Very cool so far! :thumbsup:

I love it...love, love, love it! :thumbsup:

Matt
07-02-2008, 10:27 AM
I enjoyed that map a lot! Its great to see all the guardians together that way too.

wizardsrainbow
07-02-2008, 12:08 PM
The End-World Almanac is in my hands and is definitely worth the purchase. Not as good as the Guidebook but pretty cool nevertheless.

jhanic
07-02-2008, 12:10 PM
I'll be picking up my copies tomorrow.

John

Sai Farson
07-02-2008, 12:38 PM
The End-World Almanac is in my hands and is definitely worth the purchase. Not as good as the Guidebook but pretty cool nevertheless.

I'm actually liking this a little more than the Guidebook so far. I find there's a ton more original art and content (although the overall page count seems a bit lower). Just got done reading the secret origin of the Wolves of Calla!! :rock:

Wuducynn
07-02-2008, 05:01 PM
Yeah, I like it more than The Gunslinger's Guidebook. :cool:

Emsizz
07-03-2008, 12:43 AM
I hope I can get this at the bookstore instead of driving all the way to the comic store.

Brainslinger
07-03-2008, 05:19 AM
If it's anything like the bookstores we have in England, I doubt it. They sometimes have a whole selection devoted to graphic novels (as in the proper meaning of the term, i.e. a volume length comic either originally published that way or a collection originally published piecemeal. I've noticed some people use the term 'graphic novel' as another term for 'comic' which is incorrect) but individual comics are the domain of newsagents and comic shops.

Actually I'd make an exception for W H Smiths, they often sell comics in their magazine sections. Usually mainstream Marvel and DC superhero stuff though (not that I dislike superhero comics.) It's difficult finding even British publications like 2000 AD in W H Smiths nowadays.

I've ordered my Long Road Home book 5 already, although it probably won't arrive until the end of the week now, possibly next week.

I'm keeping my eye open for the Almanac on ebay.

RUBE
07-03-2008, 07:10 PM
The Almanac is pretty cool (way better than the Guidebook in my opinion). It has a lot of great illustrations and descriptions of things we have read about in the later Dark Tower books.

I can't wait to see what they are going to put out to accompany the next comic series. It would be cool if it focused on the war between Farson and the gunslingers and all of the different battles, basically all of the stuff we only got small tidbits about in the books.

Míchéal
07-05-2008, 09:02 AM
I'm goona get the Almanac Tuesday...

Patrick
07-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Picked up the Almanac today. Can't wait to check it out! :)

Wuducynn
07-05-2008, 08:31 PM
What about issue 5?

Patrick
07-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Yeah, that and issue #4 too. It had been a long time since I had time to make it to the comic store. :doh:

Wuducynn
07-06-2008, 06:54 AM
I died a little on the inside with you saying that Patrick. :(

it kinda felt good.... :o

Aaron
07-06-2008, 07:51 AM
I really liked the Almanac. It clarified a lot of points concerning different aspects of the series and was entertaining.

Oh, and BTW. I am going to be conducting some contests on the site here very soon and will be sending out some Almanacs as prizes, so anyone who doesnt have easy access to purchase one should keep their eyes open. :D

Jimmy
07-06-2008, 10:03 AM
I was really impressed with the Almanac. Great visual overview of the DT world.

Brainslinger
07-08-2008, 05:32 AM
My Almanac and issue 5 both came in the post today (nice surprise since I ordered each from different companies on ebay.)

On opening the Almanac package, I got a nice surprise. Those kind people from REDHOTCOMICS included the Stand sketchbook too! I know it's a freebie anyway, and they're hoping I'll subscribe with them, but I wasn't expecting that.

They're already advertising subsriptions for DT:Treachery too.

I've yet to look in the booklets, (apart from the Stand sketchbook which wasn't in a plastic envelope. I've seen most of the art on the Stand thread, but it's different somehow having it in paper form.) so I'll give my thoughts in the relevant threads when I do.

;)

CyberGhostface
07-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Much better than I thought, though I had assumed that the hole in the Can-Toi's forehead didn't actually bleed like the one in the Almanac.:orely:

Wuducynn
07-18-2008, 08:11 PM
It's definitely another inaccuracy. One I don't understand how Furth and King let them get away with. How many times was it mentioned that the holes in their foreheads filled but never bled? Plenty.

Daghain
07-19-2008, 07:08 AM
It's little stuff like that that gets irritating.

Brainslinger
07-19-2008, 12:32 PM
Yeah. At least the low men weren't described that way, but the art should have reflected the descriptions.

Another couple of little inacuracies I noticed (and it is very small stuff): Type 1 vampires make type 2 vampires, type 2 vampires make type 3 vampires. That is true, but it's a bit simplistic, as Wolves of the Calla and Salem's Lot strongly suggested that the majority of victims of the type 2s are other type 2s. The impression I got was that there are more type 3s simply because they're a bit brighter than the 2s and can survive sunlight and gain sustenance from normal food. But less of them are created... if that makes sense.

That's probably more a nitpick than anything though.

Another thing that bugged me a bit more was the emphasis on Calla Bryn Sturgis being where twins are born, when the book strongly suggested twins are common throughout the Callas, and the wolves visit them all. At least, that's how I read it.

Overall I was happy with the Almanac though. I noticed a lot of duplicate material in the last issue of Long Road as the Almanac though. In hindsight I think I would have preferred a story in issue 5, although I was happy with the contents at the time.

Brainslinger
07-20-2008, 08:01 PM
Something else occurred to me, namely the picture of the wolf. It was a great picture, but I always figured the mask would be more stylized, and certainly not furry. That might be purely my own mental image rather than a disparity with the books, but I seem to remember the masks being made from some kind of grey metal that melted away when a wolf was killed.

The robot horse was wrong too, I believe. The clue to their nature was that they all looked the same and acted unlike horses. (i.e. not whinnying or stamping their hooves when stationary etc.) Apart from that they looked identical to normal horses. At least that was the impression I got.

The obviously mechanical gee-gee in the Almanac did look very good though. Maybe it was just without it's skin covering.

The data concerning the wolves role during the time of the Great Old Ones was very interesting though. Particulary their connection to the Wolf guardian. I hope anyone planning on reading the novels later doesn't read the Almanac though.

Sai Farson
07-21-2008, 04:08 AM
My take on that was that these were the Wolves as they existed in the time of Roland's youth, and the Crimson King's scientists did some physical retooling of the Wolves and their horses when he reprogrammed them to hunt kids. :idea:

Wuducynn
07-21-2008, 06:08 AM
It's little stuff like that that gets irritating.

I agree. I really hope Furth and/or King reads this message board...who knows, I hear King has read this one.

Yeah. At least the low men weren't described that way, but the art should have reflected the descriptions.

Another couple of little inacuracies I noticed (and it is very small stuff): Type 1 vampires make type 2 vampires, type 2 vampires make type 3 vampires. That is true, but it's a bit simplistic, as Wolves of the Calla and Salem's Lot strongly suggested that the majority of victims of the type 2s are other type 2s. The impression I got was that there are more type 3s simply because they're a bit brighter than the 2s and can survive sunlight and gain sustenance from normal food. But less of them are created... if that makes sense.

That's probably more a nitpick than anything though.

Another thing that bugged me a bit more was the emphasis on Calla Bryn Sturgis being where twins are born, when the book strongly suggested twins are common throughout the Callas, and the wolves visit them all. At least, that's how I read it.

Overall I was happy with the Almanac though. I noticed a lot of duplicate material in the last issue of Long Road as the Almanac though. In hindsight I think I would have preferred a story in issue 5, although I was happy with the contents at the time.

Lots of great catches here Brain. I hadn't even thought of them.

oy-the-brave
07-23-2008, 01:16 PM
I posted this in the collectors forum but wanted to post it here too. This is a commission I requested from David Jardin one of the artists from the almanac. I contacted him to see if I could purchase the bumbler art from the almanac, it was not available, so we talked about a commission, here it is.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/rolandoy.jpg

Spencer
07-23-2008, 04:31 PM
VERY cool, Dave. I love it!

Wuducynn
07-23-2008, 04:42 PM
That billy-bumbler is great! :cool:

Daghain
07-24-2008, 01:08 PM
That is totally awesome! I love it!

fernandito
07-27-2008, 07:48 AM
Picked up my copy of the almanac yesterday. :D

Daghain
07-27-2008, 08:15 PM
I've had mine since before I got back from Portland, but still haven't read it. Probably because I know it means a serious edit to the End-World page in Towerpedia. :lol:

Wuducynn
07-28-2008, 05:46 AM
I've had mine since before I got back from Portland, but still haven't read it. Probably because I know it means a serious edit to the End-World page in Towerpedia. :lol:

I don't know about edit, but adding some new information yeah.

Daghain
07-28-2008, 09:37 AM
Add for sure. :)

Empath of the White
07-31-2008, 05:09 PM
Just finished my copy and there were some things that I didn't care for:

The taheen...I always imagined that their bodies simply had a human shape and would be covered with fur, feathers, or scales (assuming lizard men in Black House were a type of taheen) rather than simply being a purely human body except for the head, arms, and legs.

Thunderclap...the art of that village showed a simple overcast sky. I imagined the place to be pitch black.

Le Casse Roi Russe...refered to as the Forge of the King. That was a separate structure from Black House wasn't it? Though in that book it was described as being a haphazard sort construction, and the Le Casse we've seen in the comics looks very unstable, imo. Still, there's no machines or conveyor belts visible.:pullhair:

What I liked:

The origins of the Wolves. Very cool. But the mask was more organic than I had imagined. Compare it with the art from Wolves of the Calla. Though its possible the mask we see here is what they originally wore, and the King's scientists made them of that metal/armor for extra protection.

The artwork of the can-toi. Much more frightening than I imagined.:thumbsup:

Everything else. :cool:

Brainslinger
07-31-2008, 06:28 PM
Thunderclap...the art of that village showed a simple overcast sky. I imagined the place to be pitch black.
I'll need to check, but I believe in the books it's described as a grey overcast sky, so that one they got fairly correct.

The artwork of the can-toi. Much more frightening than I imagined.

They do look pretty scary don't they? I kind of imagined they would have more human shaped faces though (although they look great). I.e. I know they're described as having the head of mutant rats, but I figured for the masks to be as affective as they are (which grantedly isn't much) the overall shape would need to be a bit human like... with the ratty facial features, if that makes sense.
I know the masks were described as not being particularly realistic but I figured that was more the mask itself stretching over the fur etc than the shape of the head beneath, but that might just be my own interpretation.

And then there's that bleeding hole that's been mentioned earlier.... Grrrrrr!

Empath of the White
07-31-2008, 08:16 PM
I'll need to check, but I believe in the books it's described as a grey overcast sky, so that one they got fairly correct.

They do look pretty scary don't they? I kind of imagined they would have more human shaped faces though (although they look great). I.e. I know they're described as having the head of mutant rats, but I figured for the masks to be as affective as they are (which grantedly isn't much) the overall shape would need to be a bit human like... with the ratty facial features, if that makes sense.
I know the masks were described as not being particularly realistic but I figured that was more the mask itself stretching over the fur etc than the shape of the head beneath, but that might just be my own interpretation.

And then there's that bleeding hole that's been mentioned earlier.... Grrrrrr!

On Thunderclap: I'm thinking you're right; on Page 245 of my paperback of The Dark Tower, it is indeed a dark gray. What led to my assumption of it being some pitch-black place came from Wolves of the Calla, page 726 in the paperback: "It looked the same on this side, but wasn't. Jake knew it right away. Moonlight or no moonlight, it was darker somehow.", as well as it constantly being referred to as dark, rather than overcast.

Can-toi: I imagined about the same; something like the artwork on the last page of the chapter from The Dark Tower titled "Lifted on the Wave."

kirin
08-24-2008, 10:04 AM
i find the almanac to be okay but some of the material seemed the same as in some of my issues of the long road home .

just looking forward to being able to get hardcover long road and treachery issues now well plenty of reading to do in the meantime

lipgloss_and_revolver
08-24-2008, 06:41 PM
i find the almanac to be okay but some of the material seemed the same as in some of my issues of the long road home .

I noticed that too.
But overall, I liked the almanac.

Wuducynn
08-24-2008, 07:47 PM

Of course it will have some of the same material. Same as The Gunslinger's Guidebook had some of the same material.

Daghain
08-24-2008, 07:50 PM
But, the important thing is there is NEW material. :)

Brainslinger
08-24-2008, 11:00 PM
There is quite a lot of shared material though. Although I suppose that makes sense taking into account those who wait for the collected editions.

Still, the new stuff is pretty worthwhile.