PDA

View Full Version : Alfred Hitchcock Movie Discussion

Heather19
04-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Here's a thread for us to discuss everything Hitchcock. This way I won't have to keep bombarding the other threads with stuff about his films.

So come on in and lets discuss his films. What ones did everyone enjoy?

Unfound One
04-10-2008, 01:53 PM
I absolutely love Rear Window. Jimmy Stewart is my hero, and Grace Kelly is so stunningly beautiful. Sigh.
It has to be in black and white though, they've since colorized it, and I'm not as much of a fan.
Sean Connery and Tippi Hedron have great chemistry (and sometimes lack there-of, uhhh...) in Marnie. And that movie's just sweet in general.
And Vertigo. Duh.
:)

jayson
04-10-2008, 01:55 PM
i particularly like Vertigo and North by Northwest

Grillslinger
04-10-2008, 03:54 PM
"Rope" was amazing too!

Heather19
04-10-2008, 04:08 PM
My personal favorites would be Rebecca and Rear Window. I think those are 2 of the best films ever made.

I also loved Strangers on a Train. That film was filled with so many visually stunning images. I absolutely loved the scene that pans over Bruno standing up at the top of the stairs, and he's just a shadow, but you know it's him. Creepy!!

devo133
04-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Vertigo is seen by most critics as his best. It's my favorite too. The plot is just amazing. And the cinematography wow! The spiral staircase up the bell tower, the painting of the bell tower by Dali used as the set.

A tribute to Vertigo by one of my favorite bands Faith No More

YouTube - Faith No More - Last Cup of Sorrow (1997)

Jean
04-10-2008, 10:43 PM
favorites:

Trouble with Harry
The Lady Vanishes
Spellbound
Rear Window
Rebecca
Strangers on the Train

I also love Lifeboat, and 39 Steps, and Shadow of Doubt, and Saboteur, and a lot of his other stuff, but those six are the very favorite (even in the given order, I think).

He also has movies which I personally found ridiculous... Torn Curtain, for example, or Topaz...

OchrisO
04-10-2008, 10:57 PM
The best TV show intro music ever:

YouTube - The Alfred Hitchcock Hour intro

I can't believe this thread has this many replies without anyone mentioning Psycho or The Birds.

Jean
04-10-2008, 11:01 PM
right, they are classics... I personally don't really like them, at least not as much as the ones I've listed

Unfound One
04-10-2008, 11:14 PM
I can't believe this thread has this many replies without anyone mentioning Psycho or The Birds.

I didn't like Psycho because the first time I saw it somebody had already ruined the ending for me. Same with The Sixth Sense (completely unrelated).
And I used to be terrified of The Birds as a kid. Mayhap if I watched it again I'd like it a bit more...

OchrisO
04-10-2008, 11:22 PM

I didn't like Psycho because the first time I saw it somebody had already ruined the ending for me. Same with The Sixth Sense (completely unrelated).
And I used to be terrified of The Birds as a kid. Mayhap if I watched it again I'd like it a bit more...

Yeah, The Birds was pretty scary to me when I was a kid as well. I think the strength of the movie is in the fact that it makes something so commonplace completely terrifying.

Darkthoughts
04-11-2008, 02:42 AM
Good on ya Chris...I was just scrolling down thinking "No mention of The Birds?!!"
The Birds was the first Hitchcock movie I ever saw, absolutely amazing, terrifying without excessive gore or special effects - simplicity always works better in horror imo ;)

jayson
04-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Rear Window as Three's Company youtube parody...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiiZWUyCreI

Unfound One
04-11-2008, 11:57 AM
:lol:
That's excellent, but somebody definitely had too much time on their hands...

Heather19
04-11-2008, 01:46 PM
I quite enjoyed The Birds and Psycho, and when you hear Hitchcock, those are the 2 films that most people would probably automatically think of, but I think he's got some better films, like the ones I previously mentioned.

And Jean, I watched Trouble With Harry the other day. I thought it was alright, but I have to say I'm not a huge fan of his comedies. I remember seeing another one ages ago, I can't remember the name of it but I think it was the last film he made, something about psychics. It was another comedy, and I just couldn't get into it. I definately prefer his suspense and drama films a bit more.

Next on my list to watch is Shadow of a Doubt, and I thought I had it on vhs somewhere but I was looking the other night and couldn't find it. Hopefully it'll turn up soon.

Odetta
04-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Did anybody ever watch "Alfred Hitcock Presents" on TV?

Telynn
04-11-2008, 06:50 PM
North by Northwest was always good. Rear Window is creepy good.

Certain times of the year we get huge flocks of birds and when they settle down the trees and phone lines will be full of them. I always think of The Birds. My kids never understood why I felt all those birds were creepy. One day I need to rent it for them and then they will know.

OchrisO
04-11-2008, 08:25 PM

Um, look at the video I posted up above. :P

Brice
04-12-2008, 04:09 AM

I've watched every single episode and every movie. Hitchcock was fucking genius.

alinda
04-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Yes, and ditto on the opinions already expressed
that concern the absolute genius of Alfred Hitchcock.
The man was a master at comonplace as terror!

Odetta
04-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Does anyone remember the episode... "The Jar"? I think it was called that.

bergy81
04-20-2008, 07:30 PM
They are all great but Rope is my favorite, followed by Lifeboat

jemaher
04-21-2008, 04:06 PM
I have not seen all of his work but i loved jimmy stewart and cary grant so north by northwest and rear window are among my favorites

Heather19
04-21-2008, 05:20 PM
I love James Stewart. He was excellent in all the roles Hitchcock cast him in.
Finally got to see Shadow of a Doubt which was excellent. I really enjoyed it.

I was also wondering if anyone has seen Jamaica Inn. I just recently found out that Hitchcock made a movie based on this book. How does it compare to Rebecca?

jemaher
04-22-2008, 10:20 AM
havent seen it guess i will add it to the list.

Brice
04-23-2008, 05:27 AM
I love James Stewart. He was excellent in all the roles Hitchcock cast him in.
Finally got to see Shadow of a Doubt which was excellent. I really enjoyed it.

I was also wondering if anyone has seen Jamaica Inn. I just recently found out that Hitchcock made a movie based on this book. How does it compare to Rebecca?

I own it and have seen it, but it has been quite a long time. I really don't remember it so well.

Heather19
05-17-2008, 10:54 AM
Watched Lifeboat this morning, what a great film. I'm really surprised there's not more talk about this one. To be honest, I hadn't even heard of it till just recently.

Jean
08-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Watched Lifeboat this morning, what a great film. I'm really surprised there's not more talk about this one. To be honest, I hadn't even heard of it till just recently.
I absolutely love Lifeboat

yesterday I was painfully reminded of it - while playing poker with Brice and agrabin... I had that wonderful, unbelievable hand, and I was raising... raising... and at the very damn moment my server had a fit, and I was off!

And Jean, I watched Trouble With Harry the other day. I thought it was alright, but I have to say I'm not a huge fan of his comedies. I remember seeing another one ages ago, I can't remember the name of it but I think it was the last film he made, something about psychics. It was another comedy, and I just couldn't get into it. I definately prefer his suspense and drama films a bit more.
I never thought of it as a comedy... just a movie... the same with The Rear Window, or The Lady Vanishes, - they are all very warm, and they have a lot of everything, just like a real movie should, in the bear's opinion; with their optimism and that multi-dimensional quality a movie will never have unless there is humor there... and they tell human stories which I personally find immensely touching... not at all like the deadly serious, solemn Hitchcock of Vertigo or Rope or The Birds, which, frankly, always feel to me bordering on self-parody, just because of their stubborn one-dimentionality.

cozener
08-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Hitchcock? Ok...North By Northwest was alright but lets be honest. Carey Grant? How about Carey Pompous Ass. Listening to this blowhard talk for two hours feels like an extended lecture from your dad.

And Psycho? Wtf is up with that ghey shower scene? And enough already with the music! What is this? A fucking Star Trek episode?!

:excited:

Woofer
08-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Happy Birthday, Alfred Hitchcock and Mr. Woofer!

My fave Hitch movies are Psycho, Rope, Rear Window, The Birds, and North by Northwest.

BTW, Cary Grant = teh hawt http://psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/Lovestruck.gif. Srsly, he is...er was... a very handsome man.

"Insanity runs in my family. It practically gallops."

Heather19
10-28-2008, 02:51 PM
Just found out that Spellbound got re-released recently (along with some others such as Rebecca and Notorious)! Now maybe I can finally get ahold of it to watch.

LadyHitchhiker
10-28-2008, 03:05 PM
I really liked Rachel!

Jean
07-30-2010, 10:38 PM
bumping this thread for Melike

Melikey, which Hitchcock films have you already seen? I hear it's only a couple; you got to hurry up before the contest is over. Hitchcock is one of my three favorite directors, and as, unlike the other two, he has a good chance of winning, I wouldn't like him to lose this chance... especially not to Spielberg, Lukas, or Tarantino...

Melike
07-31-2010, 02:20 AM
I have seen Number Seventeen, Waltzes From Vienna, The 39 Steps, Spellbound, Vertigo and Psycho.
Believe me, Spielberg and Lukas have no chance to get even a single vote from me.
I love Tarantino but he better not appear to be in a poll Hitchcock exists.

Jean
07-31-2010, 02:28 AM
good! still, here's some more Hitchcock I want you to watch - I love to share with you what I love!

Rear Window
The Lady Vanishes
Rebecca
Trouble with Harry
Strangers on a Train
Suspicion
Lifeboat

Melike
07-31-2010, 02:37 AM
good! still, here's some more Hitchcock I want you to watch - I love to share with you what I love!

Rear Window
The Lady Vanishes
Rebecca
Trouble with Harry
Strangers on a Train
Suspicion
Lifeboat

Cool, I am glad that I have all of them. :couple:

Jean
07-31-2010, 02:57 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif

Heather19
07-31-2010, 06:02 AM
Jean I love you for bumping this thread :huglove:

Rebecca and Rear Window are two of my all-time favorite films. I'd also add onto your list Shadow of a Doubt, and The Lodger (I think we discussed this last one previously Melike, but you weren't able to find a copy?)

frik
07-31-2010, 07:28 AM
It's impossible to pick a favourite - too many favourites.
Some that haven't been mentioned yet: Dial M For Murder and Frenzy.
Love those two.

sk

Brice
07-31-2010, 07:43 AM
I can't think of a single Hitchcock movie I didn't love. I've seen most if not all.

turtlex
07-31-2010, 07:50 AM
I want to double up on suggesting Lifeboat. It's really a great directing job. Basically, the entire movie takes place in a small, cramped lifeboat. There aren't many directors who could take that enviroment, and make it the kind of movie that Lifeboat is. Hitch truly reigns in his star actors, and lets everyone shine in doing so.

Jean
07-31-2010, 08:06 AM
I can't think of a single Hitchcock movie I didn't love. I've seen most if not all.
Well, Torn Curtain and Coral were too preposterous even for a bear to swallow... And, unlike frik, I didn't really enjoy Frenzy... loved everything else, though

Brice
07-31-2010, 08:12 AM
Still, but bad Hitchcock is better than most other's attempts at good films.

You've actually managed to name one I missed....Coral?

Jean
07-31-2010, 08:24 AM
Topaz, not Coral. Sorry. I was thinking precious stones.

Brice
07-31-2010, 08:29 AM
Ah, I believe I saw that many years ago. I remember little if anything of it though.

frik
07-31-2010, 10:21 AM
Topaz is practically the only Hitchcock movie I don't really care for.
Dare I say it......boring....

sk

Jean
08-12-2010, 06:18 AM
How about Torn Curtain?

frik
08-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Torn Curtain was Hitchock's 50th movie. At least, it was highly publicised that was and it was supposed to be An Event.
(OK, a new Hitchcock was always an event....)
To Me, Torn Curtain was a disappointment. Didn't really care for either Julie Andrews nor Paul Newman, and although the suspense was there in a few scenes, overall it didn't feel like vintage Hitchcock.

sk

Jean
08-13-2010, 02:32 AM
I was kinda frustrated with the goofs; I know it's Hitchcock's trademark (my wife and me call it Cary Grant's pants: in a movie, he climbed someone's hotel room window wearing only a bathrobe, and later was seen fully clothed), and normally serves to make the movie more cinematographically (if not story-wise) perfect. However, in that case it was too much even for me, who is willing to accept Hitchcock with all his specifics. A foreigner in the Soviet Union would have never, ever be allowed to roam free - I am not saying "a suspicious foreigner", no, any foreigner. That pi stuff is overwhelmingly preposterous, and how can a ballet dancer turning fouettes on a brightly lit stage recognize someone who is sitting in the dark? Fouettes are hard enough without that... that look of sudden horrified recognition on her face, realization deepening with every spin, was way too much even for a bear to swallow... there are other things, too, but that's what I remember best (seen the movie about 8 years ago, and never re-watched it since).

Heather19
03-04-2012, 04:58 PM
I just watched Torn Curtain the other week. I think I had seen it years and years ago, although not positive since I didn't remember any of it. But I enjoyed. It's definitely far from his greatest, and you do make some good arguments Jean :lol: But it was still enjoyable to me. He's got a quality about his films that I absolutely love. I also rewatched The Trouble With Harry, and enjoyed it far more than I did the first time.

And lastly I also watched Saboteur. What a great film. This one also had a few confusing moments in it where Barry and Pat would randomly meet up again in a scene and they're just suddenly together again. How'd he find her? :lol: But I love the way in which it was shot. It's got some pretty memorable scenes.

needfulthings
03-04-2012, 08:22 PM
TORN CURTAIN U.S.A. & U.K. MOVIE TIE-INS.
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/4937/a296t.jpg
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/1818/a297x.jpg
DVD
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7820/a298.jpg

needfulthings
03-04-2012, 09:04 PM
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/3528/a299.jpg

needfulthings
03-04-2012, 09:11 PM
http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/807/a300f.jpg

needfulthings
03-05-2012, 04:26 PM
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/4296/a316k.jpg

Odetta
03-06-2012, 10:19 AM
So, I was watching Vertigo yesterday and I think my favorite part about this movie is the music! I just love it, how it fits into the story and how it creates the right tone for every... single... scene. Wow!

Jean
03-06-2012, 10:23 AM
the music is very good indeed. Vertigo still remains one of my least favorite Hitchcock movies, though.

Bears are very happy that Heather :rose: :rose: :rose: appreciated Trouble with Harry this time more than before!

Heather19
03-06-2012, 03:06 PM
I knew you'd like that :D I think I was just expecting more the first time so I was a little let down, but this time I could appreciate it for what it was. And it really is a great movie.

Jean
03-07-2012, 05:01 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_inlove.gif

fernandito
08-13-2012, 11:11 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALFRED HITCHCOCK!

Bethany
08-13-2012, 12:01 PM
I watched my first Hitchcock movie last weekend, Vertigo, and loved it. I will definitely watch more.

fernandito
08-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Vertigo is - thus far - my favorite Hitchcock film.

Try Rear Window next.

ur2ndbiggestfan
08-13-2012, 02:18 PM
They are releasing DIAL M FOR MURDER in Bluray in 3D.

Heather19
08-13-2012, 02:26 PM
I watched my first Hitchcock movie last weekend, Vertigo, and loved it. I will definitely watch more.

:thumbsup:

Jean
08-13-2012, 11:25 PM
happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/dragula138/blog%20images/celebrity-pictures-alfred-hitchcock-scary-movies.jpg

Brice
08-16-2012, 12:17 PM

:o You'd never seen a hitchcock film?

Vertigo is - thus far - my favorite Hitchcock film.

Try Rear Window next.

Then try them all. :)

Jean
08-17-2012, 01:29 AM
what Brice said

Brice
08-17-2012, 11:45 AM
I haven't heard that in awhile. :)

Jean
08-18-2012, 12:47 AM
the more you post, the higher the odds

needfulthings
08-18-2012, 01:11 AM
Then try them all. :)[/QUOTE]
http://imageshack.us/a/img402/7370/img453i.jpg

mae
01-14-2014, 09:56 AM
http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/watch-hitchcocks-forgotten-holocaust-doc-memory-of-the-camps/

While the iconic director Alfred Hitchcock is primarily known for being the master of suspense with classic films like Vertigo, North by Northwest, The Birds, Psycho and Rear Window in his filmography, many have forgotten one project that was outside of his comfort zone in more ways than one. In 1984, a Hitchcock directed Holocaust documentary called Memory of the Camps was unveiled at the Berlin Film Festival and also on PBS. Now Open Culture (via The Playlist) has found the 53-minute cut of the dark documentary which has footage of Nazi concentration camps as seen by the British Army Film Unit in 1945.

Back in 1945, when Hitchcock reviewed the footage (at the request of friend Sidney Bernstein) from the British and Soviet units who captured the German forces despicable warfare on film, the director ended up leaving Pinewood Studios rather disturbed and didn't return for a week. At the time, the Allies hoped to use the film to force the German people to see their army's actions and confront the atrocities, but delays led to a reconsideration and five of the six reels ended up in London’s Imperial War Museum until they were shown in 1984, which means this is only an incomplete version of the documentary.

However, for film purists and cinephiles out there, there might be a better way to see the film in the future. Independent announced last week that the documentary will be re-released with a sixth reel to accompany the original five reels unearthed in 1984. In addition, a companion documentary called Night Will Fall (from producer André Singer (The Act of Killing) and directorial advisor Stephen Frears) about the film itself will focus on the film Hitchcock made with Sidney Bernstein and will accompany the film in subsequent screenings and airings. This restored and expanded feature will hit British television in early 2015 but there will be theatrical and festival screenings before then. Stay tuned for more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?fv=xI_6oLPC-S0

Ben Staad
01-14-2014, 10:02 AM
This is hard to watch. I will need to take this in small doses I think.

Heather19
03-31-2015, 10:46 AM
Here we go Tommy, now we can discuss Hitchcock all we want :D

There's still a number of his films I haven't seen. I really should begin to track them all down.

mae
03-31-2015, 10:49 AM
Not the end-all, be-all, but here's a fun recent ranking of every Hitch movie by Time Out New York: http://www.timeout.com/newyork/film/the-best-and-worst-alfred-hitchcock-movies

dnemec
03-31-2015, 11:05 AM
Whoa...where did this thread come from?! Cool!

Did anyone get to a theater to see Rear Window on the big screen last week? It was quite a nice treat!

fernandito
03-31-2015, 11:09 AM
Not the end-all, be-all, but here's a fun recent ranking of every Hitch movie by Time Out New York: http://www.timeout.com/newyork/film/the-best-and-worst-alfred-hitchcock-movies

Vertigo as No. 1 :)

needfulthings
03-31-2015, 11:13 AM
http://imageshack.com/a/img661/4862/aNzy81.jpg

dnemec
03-31-2015, 11:46 AM
http://imageshack.com/a/img661/4862/aNzy81.jpg

Good lord, is that thing creepy! Love it!

goheat
03-31-2015, 11:53 AM
What is that sculpture composed of?

needfulthings
03-31-2015, 12:14 PM
Fiberglass Was made for the FRENZY trailer.
http://imageshack.com/a/img538/995/cLNLpv.jpg

needfulthings
03-31-2015, 12:20 PM
Rear Window 1st edition March 1984.
http://imageshack.com/a/img540/1293/xbzD5m.jpg http://imageshack.com/a/img538/9003/DZ8Whp.jpg

goheat
03-31-2015, 12:30 PM
Fiberglass Was made for the FRENZY trailer.
http://imageshack.com/a/img538/995/cLNLpv.jpg

Awesome! I kind of remember that trailer now that you mentioned it!

EDIT: Found another photo of Hitch holding the head during production! Look HERE (http://the.hitchcock.zone/wiki/Hitchcock%20Gallery:%20image%206168)

needfulthings
03-31-2015, 12:35 PM
FRENZY necktie promo
http://imageshack.com/a/img538/8246/DTwgW3.jpghttp://imageshack.com/a/img909/1765/L7qURm.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/2240/42SMcq.jpg

Heather19
03-31-2015, 02:55 PM

Did anyone get to a theater to see Rear Window on the big screen last week? It was quite a nice treat!

No, I forgot about it. They used to play the old movies on the cheap night at our theater, and they still do but now the "classics" are full price, and I can't see paying $11.50 for an older movie that I can easily find on DVD. Maybe I'm just cheap :lol:

I did go see Psycho around Halloween though :)

dnemec
03-31-2015, 03:40 PM

No, I forgot about it. They used to play the old movies on the cheap night at our theater, and they still do but now the "classics" are full price, and I can't see paying $11.50 for an older movie that I can easily find on DVD. Maybe I'm just cheap :lol:

I did go see Psycho around Halloween though :)

I agree--it cost $25 for the 2 of us to go to see it. That being said, I had a Visa rebate card from Staples and we NEVER go to the movies. (Last movie we had seen was 4 1/2 years ago!) So we made it a point to go to this one. But god, it has gotten so expensive!!!!

Tommy
04-01-2015, 12:55 AM
Here we go Tommy, now we can discuss Hitchcock all we want :D

There's still a number of his films I haven't seen. I really should begin to track them all down.

Thanks Heather!! I haven't seen a bad one yet so I recommend all of them, naturally! :dance:

Notorious, Rope and Psycho are probably the three I've seen most number of times

mae
04-01-2015, 01:30 AM
I would love to do my own 52 to 1 ranking. Needs lots of thought.

divemaster
04-01-2015, 03:49 AM
My favorite Hitchcock films are Dressed to Kill and Body Double.

Oh, wait...

Frenzy might be my favorite. It's certainly up there. I like this movie a lot b/c there is no guessing as to the killer's identity. You know from just about the get-go who the killer is. The tension is not "whodunnit" but in the increasing pressure and boxing in of the poor sap being blamed for the murders.

Plus, I like the way that even though the killer is a total psychopath, Hitchcock goads the viewer into rooting for him in the potato truck scene. We feel the tension and the pressure as he looks for the missing item...and a sigh of relief when he finds it. (At least that was my reaction.). Having said that, the comeuppance at the end was perfect: "Why, Mr. Rusk. You're not wearing your tie."

Heather19
04-01-2015, 05:30 AM
I would love to do my own 52 to 1 ranking. Needs lots of thought.

I might try to rank the ones I've seen, but it'll be tough to put them in some sort of order.

needfulthings
04-01-2015, 08:03 AM
[QUOTE=divemaster;912557]My favorite Hitchcock films are Dressed to Kill and Body Double.

Oh, wait...

http://imageshack.com/a/img673/7089/YKdPNl.jpg

LET'S NOT FORGET THAT OTHER HITCHCOCK(IAN)CLASSIC.....
http://imageshack.com/a/img538/6669/ELf0U8.jpg

AND THE BEST HITCHCOCK OF ALL....
http://imageshack.com/a/img633/9058/eMoZ52.jpg

Tommy
04-01-2015, 11:38 PM
All the Hitchcocks I've seen (45) Ranked

Psycho
Notorious
Vertigo
Rope
Rear Window
Strangers on a Train
Shadow of a Doubt
North by Northwest
Frenzy
The Birds
The Lady Vanishes
The 39 Steps
Spellbound
Rebecca
Foreign Correspondent
Marnie
Lifeboat
The Man Who Knew Too Much (remake)
Stage Fright
To Catch a Thief
The Trouble with Harry
Sabotage
Torn Curtain
Murder!
Dial M for Murder
The Wrong Man
Family Plot
Secret Agent
The Man who Knew Too Much (Original)
Saboteur
Suspicion
Topaz
The Paradine Case
I Confess
The Lodger
Rich and Strange
Blackmail
Mr. and Mrs. Smith
Number 17
Jamaica Inn
Easy Virtue
The Ring
The Skin Game
The Farmer's Wife
The Manxman
Champagne

Admittedly, a lot of the final silent films here at the bottom I've only seen once or twice and may deserve higher placing and I did not rank the shorts but I feel comfortable with the list so far...

Tommy
04-06-2015, 10:54 PM

Psycho
Notorious
Vertigo
Rope
Rear Window
Strangers on a Train
Shadow of a Doubt
North by Northwest
Frenzy
The Birds
The Lady Vanishes
The 39 Steps
Spellbound
Rebecca
Foreign Correspondent
Marnie
Lifeboat
Stage Fright
To Catch a Thief
The Trouble with Harry
Sabotage
Torn Curtain
Murder!
Dial M for Murder
The Wrong Man
Family Plot
Secret Agent
Saboteur
Suspicion
Topaz
The Paradine Case
I Confess
The Lodger
Rich and Strange
Blackmail
Mr. and Mrs. Smith
Number 17
Jamaica Inn
Easy Virtue
The Ring
The Skin Game
The Farmer's Wife
The Manxman
Champagne

Admittedly, a lot of the final silent films here at the bottom I've only seen once or twice and may deserve higher placing and I did not rank the shorts but I feel comfortable with the list so far...

A fun game (maybe) would be to try and write a short story using all the titles of all or most of Hitchcock's films within the narrative :coo3l:

mae
06-09-2015, 07:18 AM
http://www.fathomevents.com/event/psycho/more-info/details

Date: Sunday, September 20

Time: 2:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. (local time)

Run Time: 2 hours (approximate)

Ticketing: Tickets are available by clicking on the orange “Buy Tickets” button. If online ticketing is not available for your location, you can purchase your tickets by visiting the box office at your local participating cinema. If your nearest theater is not listed, please check back as updates are being made on a regular basis.

Special Fathom Feature: Enjoy a specially produced introduction from Turner Classic Movies for a look into the American psychological thriller directed by Alfred Hitchcock.

We all go a little mad sometimes. Haven’t you? Fathom Events, Turner Classic Movies and Universal Pictures Home Entertainment invite you to relive Alfred Hitchcock’s psychological thriller Psycho (1960) on the big screen for a special two-day only event on Sunday, September 20 and Wednesday, September 23 at 2:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. local time.

dnemec
06-09-2015, 08:10 AM
http://www.fathomevents.com/event/psycho/more-info/details

Date: Sunday, September 20

Time: 2:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. (local time)

Run Time: 2 hours (approximate)

Ticketing: Tickets are available by clicking on the orange “Buy Tickets” button. If online ticketing is not available for your location, you can purchase your tickets by visiting the box office at your local participating cinema. If your nearest theater is not listed, please check back as updates are being made on a regular basis.

Special Fathom Feature: Enjoy a specially produced introduction from Turner Classic Movies for a look into the American psychological thriller directed by Alfred Hitchcock.

We all go a little mad sometimes. Haven’t you? Fathom Events, Turner Classic Movies and Universal Pictures Home Entertainment invite you to relive Alfred Hitchcock’s psychological thriller Psycho (1960) on the big screen for a special two-day only event on Sunday, September 20 and Wednesday, September 23 at 2:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. local time.

YES! Thanks for the info! I think I'll probably have to go see this one too!

needfulthings
06-09-2015, 11:58 AM
I THINK I WILL PASS.
http://imageshack.com/a/img538/6255/FVyNKk.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/3973/6fzg89.jpghttp://imageshack.com/a/img633/2305/cjsgF9.jpg

Heather19
06-09-2015, 01:03 PM
I would love to have a theater room!

needfulthings
06-09-2015, 01:15 PM
Want to know the best part...IT ALSO
http://imageshack.com/a/img633/906/ge5F9R.jpg
AGE DOES HAVE ITS PRIVILEGES. I WORKED ALL MY LIFE TO FULFILL THIS DREAM.

mae
06-09-2015, 07:44 PM
I have the bluray and a home theater as well, but it can't compare to an actual movie theater screen. My screen is 103 inches I believe. A movie theater is what, at least ten times that?

mae
09-29-2015, 06:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H5dBxIatZw

Ben Staad
09-29-2015, 09:36 AM
The amazing thing about Hitchcock is that his material is still interesting to watch today. My daughter who is 16 will watch his show and movies without once texting anyone.

Still Servant
09-30-2015, 01:48 PM
Hey, Needfulthings, I know you have a super awesome movie collection. I was just wondering, do you collect laser discs? I just got into collecting them. I actually just bought Rope, Rear Window and The Man Who Knew Too Much at Goodwill for a buck each.

Pablo, is that an LED screen you have or do you use a projector? I know Sharp makes some pretty big LED TVs.

My cousin just bought a house with a theater in it in Mass. I'm dying to see it, but I might never leave. It's my dream to have one. Stadium seats and all.

needfulthings
09-30-2015, 02:22 PM
Not any more I still have 2 players & around 60 discs ( I know there is a commentary on the lazer that is not on the DVD or Blu-Ray for the 1933 King Kong.) Now with DVD & BLU-RAY I don't see the need to trade out the disc after 2 hours (That is if you don't have to get up & turn it over after the 1st hour) & I can now watch Dial M for Murder in 3D in my own home.
http://imageshack.com/a/img633/9278/jFxN3X.jpg

mae
09-30-2015, 03:25 PM
I've got an HD projector. An actual TV that large would be insanely expensive probably

Still Servant
09-30-2015, 03:27 PM
Not any more I still have 2 players & around 60 discs ( I know there is a commentary on the lazer that is not on the DVD or Blu-Ray for the 1933 King Kong.) Now with DVD & BLU-RAY I don't see the need to trade out the disc after 2 hours (That is if you don't have to get up & turn it over after the 1st hour) & I can now watch Dial M for Murder in 3D in my own home.

That's cool. I'm mainly collecting them because I love the artwork. They're like mini posters. The actual laser disc players are a tad more difficult to find. I haven't see any yet, but I've been coming across the discs on a regular basis lately.

Still Servant
09-30-2015, 03:31 PM
I've got an HD projector. An actual TV that large would be insanely expensive probably

Yeah Sharp has a 100 inch TV and it goes for about $7,000 or something.

Heather19
09-30-2015, 05:06 PM
My cousin just bought a house with a theater in it in Mass. I'm dying to see it, but I might never leave. It's my dream to have one. Stadium seats and all.

I would love one too. My sister actually has a small one set up in their house, but I'm not sure she's ever used it. It's pretty much my brother-in-laws man cave :lol:

Tommy
03-01-2016, 09:37 AM
I've seen Rebecca maybe 8 or 9 times and only just realized that we never learn Joan Fontaine's character's first name. I looked it up and apparently the book is the same way. :o

Heather19
03-01-2016, 10:36 AM
:lol: Yep, she's only referred to as Mrs. de Winter

I'd definitely recommend the book if you haven't read it yet.

Tommy
03-01-2016, 10:59 AM
:lol: Yep, she's only referred to as Mrs. de Winter

I'd definitely recommend the book if you haven't read it yet.

I've been meaning to read it and her other works for years. Maybe 2016 will be the year!

mae
09-28-2016, 11:05 AM
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/alfred-hitchcock-universal-cable-productions-welcome-to-hitchcock-1201872922/

Universal Cable Productions is developing an anthology series based on Alfred Hitchcock, Variety has learned.

The NBCUniversal-owned production company has inked a deal with the Alfred Hitchcock Estate to re-imagine classic tales from the iconic horror filmmaker for the TV project that is titled “Welcome to Hitchcock.”

“Welcome to Hitchcock” will follow Hitchcock’s unique brand of storytelling that resulted in films such as “The Birds,” “Psycho” and the series “Alfred Hitchcock Presents.”

In the spirit of the classic Hitchcock style and legacy, the anthology will focus on a single season-long mystery or crime. Plans are in place for all potential future seasons to be produced in step with Hitchcock Estate.

“Long after his death, Alfred Hitchcock continues to be one of the most celebrated directors and visionaries in the world, a master manipulator of the macabre,” said Dawn Olmstead, executive vice president of development at Universal Cable Productions. “We’re honored that the Hitchcock Estate has put its trust in our studio to pay homage to his work.”

“Our grandfather always collaborated with the best and the brightest to help shape his vision. We’re confident that Universal Cable Productions will take great care in helping us to continue preserving his legacy,” said Katie O’Connell-Fiala on behalf of the Hitchcock Trust and MTK Corporation, which was founded by O’Connell-Fiala and her sisters, Mary O’Connell-Stone and Tere O’Connell-Carrubba.

Vermilion Entertainment and 1492 Pictures/Ocean Blue Entertainment will produce “Welcome to Hitchcock” with UCP. The anthology marks Vermilion’s first scripted television project. Exec producers are Chris Columbus, Michael Barnathan, Timmy Thompson and Todd Thompson, who will all work alongside the Hitchcock family. Columbus will also direct the pilot. Casey Tebo will serve as co-producer.

needfulthings
09-28-2016, 01:34 PM
They are all great but Rope is my favorite, followed by Lifeboat
1st EDITION 1948 NOVELAZATION DELL MAP BACK.
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/2758/hSdCqU.jpg http://imageshack.com/a/img922/3334/vqBlZ1.jpg

U.K.1948 1st EDITION with black & white photos & photo preview of UNDER CAPRICORN.
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/7836/7biE8V.jpg

BrandoRex
09-28-2016, 03:19 PM
Vertigo in HD is an amazing movie even by today's standards. If it had never been made until modern day, I think it would blow the socks off most folks.

Still Servant
09-28-2016, 05:52 PM
I love Rope.

As for the TV show. I'm cautiously optimistic.

needfulthings
09-29-2016, 02:17 PM
Then again you may want to start at the beginning.
March 1929 a three act play by Patrick Hamilton
http://imageshack.com/a/img921/1489/H4L2pl.jpg

Heather19
10-01-2016, 06:41 AM
I don't think Rebecca gets enough to love. It's hands down my favorite Hitchcock film.

mae
10-01-2016, 06:59 AM
I'm actually very excited for this new series. Could be something special.

Ricky
10-01-2016, 07:41 AM
I don't think Rebecca gets enough to love. It's hands down my favorite Hitchcock film.

I was thinking about reading the book, but the descriptions make it seem romance-y. Plus, a lot of the reviews I've read have compared it to The Haunting of Hill House and I had a hard time getting through that one.

Heather19
10-01-2016, 10:57 AM
It's excellent Ricky, I highly recommend it. And it's not super romancy, at least no more than the movie. The film follows the story pretty well except for the ending.

Ricky
10-01-2016, 11:26 AM
I might go with the movie first, then read the book if I like it (like I did with The Bad Seed, though I liked The Bad Seed movie much more than the book).

needfulthings
10-01-2016, 12:50 PM
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/4369/ugIGh5.jpg http://imageshack.com/a/img922/5820/PFPz7R.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/5199/ten1DH.jpg http://imageshack.com/a/img924/5196/HLaK5X.jpg

Heather19
10-02-2016, 06:45 AM
I might go with the movie first, then read the book if I like it (like I did with The Bad Seed, though I liked The Bad Seed movie much more than the book).

Wait you haven't even seen the movie?! :( Drop everything and go watch it right away. You won't be disappointed.

Ricky
10-02-2016, 08:37 AM
Haha. No, I haven't. I think it's in my Netflix queue though.

EDIT: Oops, looks like it wasn't. Added now!

Tommy
03-22-2017, 09:59 PM
Going to see North by Northwest in the theater for the first time on April 2 courtesy of TCM, YAY!

needfulthings
03-22-2017, 11:18 PM
SORRY TOMMY....I still have no reason to leave home!
http://imageshack.com/a/img923/2006/oXnM7u.jpg

frik
03-22-2017, 11:48 PM
Going to see North by Northwest in the theater for the first time on April 2 courtesy of TCM, YAY!

Excellent!! it's my favorite Hitchcock and I'm sure you'll have a blast.
First time you see this movie or did you watch it on dvd/bd before?

sk

Tommy
03-23-2017, 07:12 AM

Excellent!! it's my favorite Hitchcock and I'm sure you'll have a blast.
First time you see this movie or did you watch it on dvd/bd before?

sk

I've seen it about 10 times before but never in the theater.

needfulthings
03-23-2017, 09:40 AM
:evil:Been There...Done That!
58 YEARS AGO. :lol:

needfulthings
03-23-2017, 11:26 AM
1st North by Northwest Soundtrack LP 1980. (:evil: VINYL IS COMMING BACK)
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/4544/dXw4Kg.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/9640/nyBbb5.jpg

Still Intact
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/9317/cDP6c0.jpg

RARE 1st EDITION 1972 (HARDCOVER) NORTH BY NORTHWEST (The MGM Library of Film Scripts)
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/1918/Wdw9Pc.jpg
FYI...The above items are from The Collection of...
" AN OLD FOOL!" or so I was told.

needfulthings
03-23-2017, 12:28 PM
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/1130/HgWkY0.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img923/9276/fAht17.jpg

Japanese Program Booklet
http://imageshack.com/a/img923/3630/7ptoyl.jpg

Tommy
06-23-2017, 11:35 PM
Saw this on TCM the other night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C528RZBye4I

Fun Trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xkQoH8QbVs

mae
07-05-2017, 05:23 PM
TCM is doing a month of Hitchcock: http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1325477|0/50-Years-of-Hitchcock-Wed-Fri-in-July.html

Was just flipping channels and it's started tonight with The Ring.

mae
08-31-2017, 10:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNHwKKdirxo

Heather19
04-04-2019, 04:32 PM
Just noticed that Hulu has 78/52. Watched it last night, and loved it. I wish they would make more films like this dissecting other prominent films or scenes. Definitely recommend it for any lover of this film, or any film lover in general.

amd013
06-21-2021, 12:40 PM
For those Hitchcock fans out there, amazon is having a lightning deal on a Hitchcock collection. I bought it for the 2019 Primeday. It has 15 movies, liked 13 of them, one didn't really care for and 1 got bored and didn't finish. Plus has 10 episodes of Alfred Hitchcock presents.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074Q1QHRW/?tag=bluray-038-20&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

If I remember, will be nominating these for the future best of the decades movie tournaments

frik
06-21-2021, 09:59 PM
For those Hitchcock fans out there, amazon is having a lightning deal on a Hitchcock collection. It has 15 movies, liked 13 of them, one didn't really care for and 1 got bored and didn't finish.

Which one didn't you finish? My guess....Topaz??
(Which happens to be my least-favorite Hitchcock...)

sk

amd013
06-22-2021, 01:51 PM
For those Hitchcock fans out there, amazon is having a lightning deal on a Hitchcock collection. It has 15 movies, liked 13 of them, one didn't really care for and 1 got bored and didn't finish.

sk

You are correct sir! Thanks for confirming I don't need to give it another try.

frik
06-23-2021, 05:57 AM

sk

You are correct sir! Thanks for confirming I don't need to give it another try.

You should! You should!! Give it another try, I mean.
After all, we're talking Hitchcock here - and everything Hitchcock is worth seeing at least once.
Even though it is my least-favorite as well, the movie does have its defenders. IMDB's got it at a 6.2/10 rating. Could be worse, right?

sk

ratchet41
06-26-2021, 10:22 PM
really while Topaz (1969) isn't among my favorites of his i do think it's a pretty good movie, it's so not his worse movie there are some of his early ones that are just plain fucking terrible such as Murder (1930) i don't really care for the Original The Man who knew to Much (1934) that one bores the hell out of me. The Ring (1927) is a decent one but not among my favorites the black comedy The Farmer's Wife (1928) is among my favorites actually. The Skin Game (!931) is also pretty bad too. Hitch is my favorite Director it's sad that nearly all his films from before he was a director are sadly lost, a couple of them were found in recent years so that's a start i guess

DoctorZaius
06-28-2021, 09:58 AM
Thanks to whomever revitalized this thread. Seems appropriate given we heading into the 60s in the film contest. Working ones way through the Hitchcock cannon if film is like a crash course in filmmaking. My recent watches were Rope and Lifeboat. Two greats for sure. The former for it's slicing together of film to create the illusion of a one-take real-time film, and the later for its single setting claustrophobic look at humanity. I look forward to perusing some previous posts.

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-28-2021, 11:51 AM
I'm no Hitchcock aficionado, but in going through my entire DVD collection from A to Z I just recently re-watched FAMILY PLOT and enjoyed it very much. (also watched THE BIRDS back in the B's)
I also just watched the new Blu-Ray of SILENT RUNNING and Dern mentions Hitchcock in the commentary.

amd013
06-28-2021, 11:54 AM
The one movie I didn't like from the boxed set was Marnie, which is a shame since I love Connery.

Since watching these movies, have managed to catch "To Catch a Thief", and "Strangers on a Train". Still on the lookout for any movies on streaming sites I have access to.

mae
06-28-2021, 12:09 PM
TCM just added a bunch of Hitchcock.

ratchet41
06-28-2021, 12:24 PM
Marnie (1964) i think is a pretty good one not among my favorites either though did anyone ever read the Evan Hunter book that he wrote about his time with Hitch? he started out writing some of Presents for him and than he wrote The Birds (1963) for him enjoyed his time with him than he started work on Marnie (1964) and than refused to write the scene to have Connery Rape his wife it's been a long time since i've seen the film to be fair so i don't really remember it.

there's also 2 different versions of Strangers on a train (1951) both of them have different scenes in them i do wonder how long and how the film would be if they did splice them all together? the UK and the US both end differently actually and on the Original dvd i dunno about any of the other releases they have it marked on the case so it tells you what scenes were added. honestly i think the US version is Superior in every way

Tommy
03-16-2022, 12:40 PM

Psycho
Notorious
Vertigo
Rope
Rear Window
Strangers on a Train
Shadow of a Doubt
North by Northwest
Frenzy
The Birds
The Lady Vanishes
The 39 Steps
Spellbound
Rebecca
Foreign Correspondent
Marnie
Lifeboat
Stage Fright
To Catch a Thief
The Trouble with Harry
Sabotage
Torn Curtain
Murder!
Dial M for Murder
The Wrong Man
Family Plot
Secret Agent
Saboteur
Suspicion
Topaz
The Paradine Case
I Confess
The Lodger
Rich and Strange
Blackmail
Mr. and Mrs. Smith
Number 17
Jamaica Inn
Easy Virtue
The Ring
The Skin Game
The Farmer's Wife
The Manxman
Champagne

This has definitely changed over the years.....

Heather19
03-16-2022, 04:42 PM
Curious what it is now. Have the top few changed around? I should try to put together my list.

Tommy
03-17-2022, 12:03 PM
Curious what it is now. Have the top few changed around? I should try to put together my list.

Definitely, the top ten has changed, I'm going to think and do my top 25 and go from there. There's some I need a rewatch but I definitely put Vertigo at the top spot now.

amd013
03-18-2022, 02:30 PM
I believe I have seen about 18.5 now (not sure if I saw both versions of The man who knew too much). I have also seen two remakes of The Lady vanishes, and a remake of Rebecca, but not the Hitchcock versions.

Heather19
03-19-2022, 11:02 AM
Rebecca is my all-time favorite Hitchcock movie. Highly recommend it.

Odetta
12-16-2022, 05:18 PM
Vertigo is my all-time favorite Hitchcock movie. I love the music in it!

mae
06-27-2023, 11:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRkRQWe2Nfc

mae
09-28-2023, 08:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp3BRP7eTSg

Tommy
10-15-2023, 10:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Injn2djBr9M