PDA

View Full Version : Ever find your interest in reading waning?

fernandito
04-10-2008, 05:10 AM
Only a few years ago, reading was one of the most important things in the world to me. I was an avid reader, and I would go through books at a blistering pace - and as I'm sure is the case with most of you, there were times when I skipped certain social events just so that I could finish that one book that had me completely reeled in.

Then, as of '06 last year, my interest in reading dropped like an avalanche. I probably only finished 6 or 7 books between those two years. Was I losing my interest in reading completely? Was I making poor selections? Or was this just a minor bump in the road?

This year has been a little better for me, with the Harry Potter and the A Song of Ice and Fire series, it seems that I'm starting to get into that old mind set again, and hopefully (soon) I can go back to skipping parties in order to finish those final gripping chapters :lol:

So, has anyone else ever been through something like this?

Storyslinger
04-10-2008, 05:14 AM
Yeah, I've gone through this a couple of times. It all depends on the selection of thereading your doing, and the events that are occuring in your life. For example, I haven't read any book for the last month or so, but this is due to the fact that any reading time that I would have, I'm spending finishing my book. It's just one of those things that seems to work itself out.

Jean
04-10-2008, 05:19 AM
I've never experienced anything like that, because I've never considered reading anything existing separately from me; like, I never lost interest in breathing or sleeping. Sometimes I was in a position where reading couldn't be a normal thing always happening on the background of my living process, that is, I had to actually undertake some effort to get to a book or find time/place for reading it, but it had nothing to do with my own attitude.

fernandito
04-10-2008, 05:21 AM
Well if you lose interest in sleeping or breathing you're pretty much done for, me thinks. :)

Jean
04-10-2008, 05:30 AM
that's exactly what I mean. I perfectly understand that with years, I read more and more instead of living rather than as a constant background, but I don't know if I want to do something to help it

Odetta
04-10-2008, 06:39 AM
I go through flurries of reading like a crazy woman, then I slow way down for awhile... reading very little.

Wuducynn
04-10-2008, 06:42 AM
Then, as of '06 last year

'06 was last year for you? Amazing.

Storyslinger
04-10-2008, 06:43 AM
:rofl:

Daghain
04-10-2008, 06:48 AM
I've had "reading slumps" before too, but generally it was related to the fact that I was working on my accounting degree and didn't have a lot of time to read for pleasure. I have a STACK of books to read right now, and not enough hours in the day. Torture!

Wuducynn
04-10-2008, 06:52 AM
Torture!

Sure, when do you want me to come over?

Daghain
04-10-2008, 06:55 AM
:lol:

sarah
04-10-2008, 07:02 AM
Well to quote Darks "you must have the dreaded readers block"

I go though spurts. Read like crazy and then not so much. I was on a great reread of the Dark Tower VII and then right before Eddie dies I just couldn't pick up a book. I couldn't read more than a magazine for about eight weeks. CRAZY! I think I'm finally getting back into the swing of things. I just finished a book and I'm off to starting a new series that sarajean recommended.

jayson
04-10-2008, 07:18 AM
I go through periods when I can not read fiction. It seems like during these times I start several books but just can't get into them enough to finish. I do read a lot of non-fiction though, and usually I can find a subject interesting enough to wade my way through. The only times I don't read for long periods is when my headaches get extra-special bad. Even then though, it's not a lack of interest in reading, but a lack of interest in hurting myself to do it. I will add however that I had a massive migraine the first time I read most of DT-7 and plowed through anyway. nothing was keeping me from finishing that.

fernandito
04-10-2008, 07:21 AM
I'm off to starting a new series that sarajean recommended.

Which?

fernandito
04-10-2008, 07:26 AM
I go through periods when I can not read fiction. It seems like during these times I start several books but just can't get into them enough to finish.

This happens to me a lot , but with High Fantasy - anything Lord of The Rinsg-esque

sarah
04-10-2008, 07:28 AM
I'm off to starting a new series that sarajean recommended.

Which?

Carpe Demon: Confessions of a Demon Hunting Soccer Mom :lol: by Julie Kenner

I know I laughed at the title too but sarajean has read three of the books and said it was a must read. I do have to say that I have always enjoyed a recommendation from sarajean. She has never been wrong for me yet.

Girlystevedave
04-10-2008, 07:29 AM
I definitely go through slumps with my reading. Sometimes, even when I'm reading a book that I really enjoy, I may not pick it up for a day or two, depending on my mood or how distracted my mind is. I hate doing that, but I also don't want to feel like I'm wasting a good story by not really thinking about it as I'm reading. And of course, there are times when I really crave a book, and I might fly through numerous books over a short period of time.
So, I make up for the dry periods I guess.

Wuducynn
04-10-2008, 07:48 AM
Yep, I go through reading slumps myself. I hadn't read a book since my last re-read of the Dark Tower series, which was 2 years ago, until I found The Sword of Truth series and now I've been tearing through the first book of that series.

Girlystevedave
04-10-2008, 07:49 AM
What hurts my desire to read too, is when I go through periods of watching a lot of movies. Or getting hooked on a video game. Then it's all over for me.

fernandito
04-10-2008, 08:38 AM
'06 was last year for you? Amazing.
You mean this isn't '07? Drats! I must have a mistake in the coordinates on my time machine, Skyet will be very displeased with me.

Carpe Demon: Confessions of a Demon Hunting Soccer Mom :lol: by Julie Kenner

http://www.dolcevitapets.com/blog/upload/2007/08/flying_laser_dogs/DrEvil%20_orig.JPG

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight. :lol:

But then again, don't judge a book by it's cover [or overtly eccentric title in this case]! :)

...Or getting hooked on a video game. Then it's all over for me.

:wub:

Girlystevedave
04-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Hey, I love books. But Mario was my first true addiction.:blush:

Míchéal
04-10-2008, 09:09 AM
It happens to me that I can't concentrate on reading probably about twice a year...it lasts a few weeks then i'm back in action.

Heather19
04-10-2008, 12:33 PM
This happens to me all the time. I might read for awhile and then all of a sudden I'll stop and it might be a year before I pick up another book. This usually happens when I'm in the middle of a story that I'm not thoroughly enjoying. I'll slow down in reading the book till it gets to the point where I have no desire to even pick it up to finish it. But if I'm in the middle of a book I usually refuse to pick up another till I'm done with that one. Hence I'll just stop reading for awhile. But lately I've been on a reading kick. I've read quite a few so far this year, and hopefully it'll keep up.

OchrisO
04-10-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm an English Lit. major and sometimes I have to read so much stuff for classes that I find my pleasure reading suffering. By the time I find free time to do any pleasure reading, reading is the last thing that i want to do. My writing tends to suffer in much the same way.

Unfound One
04-10-2008, 04:04 PM
I was that kid in school who got in trouble for reading in class.
In senior year of high school though I kinda got out of it, except for devouring Harry Potter books as they've been released since then.
I wasn't really in a read-y mood until last summer.
And that's when I found Dark Tower.
And the rest is history. :)

MonteGss
04-10-2008, 06:06 PM
I've read at least 20 books each of the past two years...probably longer than that but I've only been keeping track since 2006. That said, I also go into spurts when I stop reading. If I am not diggin the book I am reading, I tend to put it down for days/weeks or even months at a time until I finally plow through it, or give up. Some books that I try to read just plain suck, so I quit and start a new one. When I fall into a slump, I pick up a King book and that will usually get me in the reading groove again. Also, I've always got an audiobook going these days on my iPod.
When I was in college, pleasure reading really suffered for me, like Chris said. I've currently got about 70 books that I own but haven't read and that number always seems to stay the same because I keep buying more. :lol:

Daghain
04-10-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm an English Lit. major and sometimes I have to read so much stuff for classes that I find my pleasure reading suffering. By the time I find free time to do any pleasure reading, reading is the last thing that i want to do. My writing tends to suffer in much the same way.

As an added bonus, when you do try to read something you usually end up mentally picking it apart. Makes it hard to read trashy novels. :lol:

Darkthoughts
04-11-2008, 01:47 AM
I find that, ironically, whenever I have reader's block and I'm trying to get over it, I seem to pick books that I've struggled with before...as if its a good time to be attempting that sort of stuff :lol:
The reason is probably that, when I'm on a mjor reading kick its like a high, I don't want to waste my time with the so-so stuff, I want to get straight to the good shit ;)

alinda
04-11-2008, 04:17 AM
No, I cant imagine my life w/o reading.
I think if that ever happened, I would'
seriouly consider going to see a DR.:unsure:

ZoNeSeeK
04-13-2008, 11:13 PM
Reading is habitual - if something changes in your routine or your priorities shift, the habit of reading can be sidelined. I used to read alot when I was single, as I did most of my reading in bed before sleep - this was of course replaced with rooting when Diem and I got together, and the reading habit went out the window. Perhaps you've started driving to work instead of catching public transport (also another great place to read), or maybe reading has been replaced by iPod on the train.

Anyway, the point isn't that you're not a reader anymore, its just you've fallen out of the habit. Reinstate the habit with a killer book and you'll be fine - and also make sure you have another one ready to go when you're nearing the end of whatever you're on. Or not, do something else, its not a problem if you take a hiatus from reading solidly for a few months.

ZoNeSeeK
04-13-2008, 11:18 PM

As an added bonus, when you do try to read something you usually end up mentally picking it apart. Makes it hard to read trashy novels. :lol:

For Lit in Yr 12 I had to read A Fringe Of Leaves by Patrick White which was almost unbearable.

Mattrick
04-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Lately I've found my drive to read has disappeared but I go through phases. I can go months without reading anything then read four books in a month.

I've got Lisey's Story, Duma Key by King and the second Dexter book, No Country For Old Men and World War Z waiting for me. :cool:

LadyHitchhiker
04-17-2008, 05:15 AM
Yes. But that's mostly because of rather mediocre books I've been reading...

cozener
04-17-2008, 07:19 PM
My interest in reading does come and go but never goes away completely and if I leave reading for some time and get the urge to read again it comes back like a wild fire.

Ka-tet
04-18-2008, 06:46 AM
I do this all the time :P, then i go crazy and read non stop for weeks on end ><

Matt
04-18-2008, 07:06 AM
Reading has been an constant in my life for as long as I can remember. I was a lonely child and reading always represented so much more than just the story. It was my escape and its still that way today.

I'm not sure there has been a moment in the last 30 years that I wasn't reading something (or listening more recently).

fernandito
06-02-2008, 10:03 AM
It seems that I'm finally shaking this curse off (for now at least) - I've had an insatiable appetite for novels these past couple of days.

:drool:

alinda
06-02-2008, 10:22 AM
:clap: yea glad to hear it. When I at first saw you had a new
post in this thread I was hoping to read these exact words!

Ves'Ka Gan
06-02-2008, 10:37 AM
When I was with my ex husband I lost track of a lot of things. I didn't read or write hardly at all. When we split, I went to work for a bookstore, and it probably saved me from worst depression than I was already feeling, because it's really difficult to not read when you are surrounded by books! I think I made up for 3 yrs of limited reading in the year I worked there.

Tiffany
06-02-2008, 10:49 AM
I haven't ever really lost interest in reading but sometimes life gets too busy for it. And I have to give myself a few days in between finishing one book and starting another.

Gotta have some time to finished chewing before taking another bite, can ya' dig?

Matt
06-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Totally, I'm the same way. I always take a short break in between books.

fernandito
06-02-2008, 10:58 AM
;clap; yea glad to hear it. When I at first saw you had a new
post in this thread I was hoping to read these exact words!

Thanks love :couple:

THE SPELL IS BROKEN! I LIVE AGAIN!

Jean
06-06-2008, 01:08 AM
don't know how I overlooked it

::mutters to himself:: silly bear....

just to warn everyone that this thread is going to be moved to Dutch Hill shortly

alinda
06-08-2008, 05:25 AM
------------------------------------> Exit stage left :)

ATG
06-08-2008, 08:11 AM
I believe we read more when we are unhappy. It is escapism.

Like the artist who is more creative after getting dumped, pain fuels the need to create.
Reading less means ( to me ) life is going well and there is less of a need for an escape.

I started reading waaaaaayyy more last September when the economy started to go South and my business began to founder.

alinda
06-08-2008, 09:17 AM
OMG, I must be the most unhappy person ....I read all the time,

Jean
06-08-2008, 11:51 AM
OMG, I must be the most unhappy person ....I read all the time,
so do I, and it definitely does make me happy

alinda
06-08-2008, 11:56 AM
;)

Girlystevedave
06-08-2008, 12:20 PM
I can't seem to get into reading right now, and I hate it. I started The Stand almost a month ago. Under normal circumstances, I would have been done in a week (two at the most). Now, here I am, halfway through it and haven't 'gotten into' it for over a week. Each time I try to pick it up, my brain is too distracted, and I realize it has taken me fifteen minutes to get through two f'n pages.
I hope this passes soon.
:(

jhanic
06-08-2008, 01:11 PM
I can't remember a time when I didn't feel like reading. Even when I was serving in Vietnam, I always seemed to have a book handy. I don't read just books, though. I read two different papers a day and just about anything else I can. I actually read myself to sleep every night (I leave a light on so that, when I wake up in the middle of the night, I can read some more too!) Sick, huh?

John

Heather19
06-08-2008, 02:28 PM
I can't seem to get into reading right now, and I hate it. I started The Stand almost a month ago. Under normal circumstances, I would have been done in a week (two at the most). Now, here I am, halfway through it and haven't 'gotten into' it for over a week. Each time I try to pick it up, my brain is too distracted, and I realize it has taken me fifteen minutes to get through two f'n pages.
I hope this passes soon.
:(

Is this your first time reading it? The same thing happened to me, and I still have yet to go back and finish it.

I've hit a slump lately too. I was reading a book, and got halfway thru, but I'm just not feeling it, so it's just been sitting there. I was debating about whether or not I should try to finish it, but in that case I know I probably wouldn't pick it back up again. So I decided to start another book, but now I also just started a new drawing, so I have a feeling that'll take up my free time for now.

theBeamisHome
06-08-2008, 03:14 PM
It happens.. I've been an avid reader since I learned how to read. My parents forced me to learn to read at an early age and didn't know what monster they were creating lol.. sometimes they even regretted it because they'd be trying to talk to me while I was reading and I was no longer "there".. But I find sometimes that I don't really feel like reading anything... my genre cravings often shift. I'm not really usually a big non-fiction reader but I'm very much into researching religion (my current fascination is with Gnosticism). I find that when I'm in school I don't do as much leisurely reading.. which makes sense I suppose. I just finished reading the DT series for the first time... and now i'm gonna start working on It since i've been postponing it forever... *sigh*.... i can get so off topic.

JQ The Gunslinger
09-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Some books i pick up im not sure that ill enjoy them and that puts me off. Or if the book is in a slow part my brain waunders and i find that i didnt take in anything that i just read. Reading tho is second to anything social tho. If i get invited to a party im gonna go, the book will always be there, the party not so much. Just my thought on the matter.

The Lady of Shadows
09-03-2008, 09:47 PM
my interest is waning right now. i have no concentration. i'm listening on my ipod but even that is difficult because i'll either fall asleep or suddenly realize that half an hour has gone by and i have no freaking clue what is happening.

i'm also in the middle of several books right now (reading not listening) and have been in the middle of them for what seems like ages. it's not that they aren't interesting (they certainly are), it's just that i can't seem to lose myself in them. nothing is holding me, nothing is dragging me in, nothing is calling to me and saying "you must, you have to, the magic is here!"

it's kind of sad really. :(

Elle216
09-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Nope, I love to read, I spend as much free time as I can reading, tho sometimes that's not much because of work *booo*

theBeamisHome
09-11-2008, 12:08 PM
it's an epidemic :panic:
i'm going really slow on a book Nigel's mom gave me but it's just because i'm so busy i think... and i have cable again... sad, i know..