PDA

View Full Version : Your First SK Book

Pages : 1 [2]

Mark
11-11-2010, 11:01 AM
The Gunslinger, but my first non-DT book was The Stand, which I read after I finished The Gunslinger.

RainInSpain
11-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Salem's Lot was the first, in 1993. Bought it on a whim, because I liked how the title sounded (translated to Russian). Since then it has been published under different titles here, but I still think that first translation of the title was the best.
Very soon after it - Thinner (at the time I didn't know that Richard Bachman and SK were the same person).

Jean
11-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Salem's Lot was the first, in 1993. Bought it on a whim, because I liked how the title sounded (translated to Russian). was it "Судьба Иерусалима"?

ICry4Oy
11-12-2010, 03:30 PM
My first was Carrie in 1976. I was in the Air Force on a joint military exercise in Germany. I was in a tent just outside of Heidelberg Germany. There was over two feet of snow outside. What else were you gonna do?

blavigne
11-13-2010, 06:38 AM
The first SK I ever read was the Dead Zone. I was in my young teens ans borrowed it off my dad's bookshelf. Hooked since.

RainInSpain
11-13-2010, 08:26 AM
Salem's Lot was the first, in 1993. Bought it on a whim, because I liked how the title sounded (translated to Russian). was it "Судьба Иерусалима"?

Nope, "Салемов удел".
I do not know what it is about this title variant, but it has been stuck in my mind for all these years. Perhaps it's the fact that not many people (professional translators included) would remember the word "удел" as a translation for "lot". It sounds much more poetic/literary than "жребий" or "судьба".
And using the form "Салемов" to translate "Salem's" - somewhat unorthodox, too.

Jean
11-13-2010, 11:34 AM
also, удел is right because it of the double meaning of "lot"; not as directly as in English, but still passably good

RainInSpain
11-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Yes, that, too.
All in all, a memorable title.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-13-2010, 04:40 PM
Jean/Rain - is there anyway to explain to us non-Russian speaking people the differences in the titles. I am intrigued.

Jean
11-14-2010, 12:27 AM
well - you understand, of course, that most titles can't never be translated. For example, yesterday my students asked me how I would translate the name of that movie, Three to Tango; there's actually no way to do so, because one would need to have the "it takes two to tango" expression in the language the title is being translated into. There are several ways out: just to translate it dumbly word for word; find a similar expression and try to play on it; find an entirely new title, with or without a pun. Since 'Salem's Lot has two meanings, "Destiny of Jerusalem" and "a piece of land named after a farmer's pig", it is not translatable. In Russian, there's a "Destiny of Jerusalem" version, and a few others; the one we liked best contains the word (удел) that is very old, rarely used except in poetry, and, though directly translated as "destiny", has the same root as the word "piece of land" (надел, делянка) and generally conveys the idea of sharing (делить), which makes it most similar possible to the English word "lot".

lordmerchant
11-23-2010, 07:41 AM
The first king novel I read was the Gunslinger in June of this year, I swa it on a friends bookshelf, thumbed through it and was awed by the artwork. I read the gunslinger in a few days and was very excited when I discoered there were another 6 books in the series. All of my freetime between June and August was spent reading the entire Dark Tower series, and I loved it from beginning to end. Since then I have read The Stand, (which I rate almost as highly as the tower itself) The Dead Zone, Insomnia and am a good third the way through the Talisman (which i am loving) so basically since June it has been a massive King-fest for me!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-26-2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks Jean. I love words.

blavigne
11-27-2010, 06:03 AM
well - you understand, of course, that most titles can't never be translated. For example, yesterday my students asked me how I would translate the name of that movie, Three to Tango; there's actually no way to do so, because one would need to have the "it takes two to tango" expression in the language the title is being translated into. There are several ways out: just to translate it dumbly word for word; find a similar expression and try to play on it; find an entirely new title, with or without a pun. Since 'Salem's Lot has two meanings, "Destiny of Jerusalem" and "a piece of land named after a farmer's pig", it is not translatable. In Russian, there's a "Destiny of Jerusalem" version, and a few others; the one we liked best contains the word (удел) that is very old, rarely used except in poetry, and, though directly translated as "destiny", has the same root as the word "piece of land" (надел, делянка) and generally conveys the idea of sharing (делить), which makes it most similar possible to the English word "lot".

How interesting. I did not know this. I would have done the "dumb" thing word for word.........this is fascinating. Now I better understand how meaning gets "lost in translation".

kluker
11-30-2010, 03:50 PM
First book i read was Gunslinger i'm pretty sure

Jimimck
12-16-2010, 12:41 AM
My first one was Cujo, when I was 12 (21 years ago).
My mum actually gave it to me, as she was already a huge fan. I was hooked on King ever since, and usually would read a book after my mum had read it. She would then keep asking me if I had gotten to this section, or that part, which would encourage me to keep reading more and more.
For some reason however she never got in to the Dark Tower series, so I am still trying to convince her it is some of King's best ever material.

Hammer
12-27-2010, 12:24 PM
Dead zone for me

anima13
01-08-2011, 07:39 AM
Carrie, during highschool.

keyframe
01-10-2011, 07:51 AM
I got The Bachman Books from my school library in the 8th grade (1987) and didnt know it was King until much later. I remember telling my friends about Rage because i was surprised it was in the school library, granted this was years before real school shootings were a common occurrence.
It was within a year or so after that i picked up Pet Sematary and havent looked back.

Yeah Sure Whatever
01-11-2011, 06:26 PM
My first SK book was Cujo or It and I was around 15. My husbands was Cujo at 12

blavigne
01-12-2011, 02:19 PM
My first SK book was Cujo or It and I was around 15. My husbands was Cujo at 12

Cujo was a good one! You are lucky, your husband reads SK. Mine does not believe in sci fi, horror or basically anything that cannot be repaired with duct tape (LOL). He is strictly westerns, wars, and documentaries which is OK but obviously we don't discuss books!! :)

Yeah Sure Whatever
01-12-2011, 03:05 PM
He sounds like my first husband!

Rice Dancer
01-12-2011, 09:13 PM
I don't remember actually. It was probably The Stand or Tommyknockers or something from that time period.

Yeah Sure Whatever
01-12-2011, 09:47 PM
The Stand was one of my favorite books!

blavigne
01-13-2011, 06:38 AM
The Stand was one of my favorite books!

Mine too. Still is. The miniseries was on TV again the other day. I think it is getting to be time for a re-read!!

Yeah Sure Whatever
01-13-2011, 09:57 AM
Its hilarious that the actor who played Randall Flagg is in Law and Order Criminal Intent as the captian for the first 5 season. We call him RF or Patch everytime hahahaha

blavigne
01-13-2011, 10:17 AM
Its hilarious that the actor who played Randall Flagg is in Law and Order Criminal Intent as the captian for the first 5 season. We call him RF or Patch everytime hahahaha

Do you know I never figured that out until I read it here. Then I could see it but he looked so different in the two roles! I thought he played the role well especially since it was TV and could have been a total cheese fest!!

Yeah Sure Whatever
01-13-2011, 10:30 AM
He's a good actor

blavigne
01-13-2011, 10:51 AM
My first SK book was The Dead Zone. The movie was not terrible but nowhere near as good as the book. I thought it was interesting when they made a TV series out of it. It really veered from the book but was still interesting.

Yeah Sure Whatever
01-13-2011, 10:58 AM
I remember when I first heard about the tv show and found out Anthony Michael Hall was the main character! I havent read that book, but maybe I should...

blavigne
01-13-2011, 11:25 AM
I remember when I first heard about the tv show and found out Anthony Michael Hall was the main character! I havent read that book, but maybe I should...

It's a good story! Even now that it's been around so long, it's a good read.

Yeah Sure Whatever
01-13-2011, 11:34 AM
About a year ago I read Needful Things for the first time and I thought it was a good book too even though its been around. I typically find that older books like movies arent very good and played out, but I quite liked NT

blavigne
01-13-2011, 11:49 AM
About a year ago I read Needful Things for the first time and I thought it was a good book too even though its been around. I typically find that older books like movies arent very good and played out, but I quite liked NT

Well definitely they get "outdated"! I haven't read NT since it was originally released. Another one for the re-read list. :)

Yeah Sure Whatever
01-13-2011, 11:51 AM
I've really wanting to re-read Little Sisters of Eluria (Is that how you spell it? hahahah), but I cant seem to find an e-copy of it and that book seems to have disappeared. What makes it worse is that both me and my husband have/had it

blavigne
01-13-2011, 11:54 AM
I've really wanting to re-read Little Sisters of Eluria (Is that how you spell it? hahahah), but I cant seem to find an e-copy of it and that book seems to have disappeared. What makes it worse is that both me and my husband have/had it

I have it in a copy of Everythings Eventual. If you want to pm me your address I will pack it up and send it to you. :)

Yeah Sure Whatever
01-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Oh thats so sweet of you! Let me search my ebooks first. Sometimes stuff gets named wrong!

blavigne
01-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Oh thats so sweet of you! Let me search my ebooks first. Sometimes stuff gets named wrong!

It's yours if you want it!! :)

Yeah Sure Whatever
01-13-2011, 12:12 PM
THanks! I think I have it named something else because when I click on Little Sisters the story is Network Error and I'm sure thats not how the story goes :P

blavigne
01-13-2011, 12:53 PM
It is a short story and it's been a few months since I read it but I'm pretty sure there's a little more plot than that. LOL

Mattrick
01-14-2011, 02:43 PM
The Stand was my first King book

Roland of Gilead 33
01-15-2011, 12:45 AM
my 1st "King" book? well that's easy. it was in (1990) & the REASON i remember the year was cause my brother put my name in the cover on the inside of the book & it's still there. i bought a used copy of "Salem's Lot" the paperback of it & it's a 1st printing! but it's not in very good condition actually. & what's funny is that i didn't get around to reading it until i was in high school! they had the the paperback of it, but the cover was

made into a hardback. if that makes no sense to you or anyone than let me explain it or try to a little better. my high school would have paperback book covers such as "Salem's Lot" for example keep the cover & my guess tape or glue it on a hard back book. even though if it had been bought in a store it would have been a paperback book. it didn't have the cover of the hardback well any edition of the hardback but the cover of the 1st edition paperback version with the black cover & the blood dripping from the mouth.

i hope that helps a little bit on my explanation. i read it than cause actually it was in better condition than MY paperback version of it! he he

brandnewfan
01-21-2011, 01:24 AM
My first King book was The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and I only read it because it was assigned reading for me in my high school psychology class (turns out the teacher was a huge SK fan). After that I went to Carrie, Salem's Lot and The Shining. That was in 1999 or 2000 so I've been reading ever since, although I haven't read as many of his books as I'd have like to.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-21-2011, 02:01 AM
TGWLTG as assigned reading? That's cool.

Jean
01-21-2011, 05:56 AM
very

Delah
01-21-2011, 07:09 AM
IT.

I was eleven, and not allowed to read it, so I snuck it out of my older sister's room, replaced it on her bookshelf with another book with a similar cover, and read it in four days that I had strep throat and had to stay home from school. Reading it at the same age as the Losers appear in 1958 added a touch of reality to it; I remember thinking at the time that King wrote eleven year olds very well. And now I have a habit of returning to read IT again whenever I'm sick.

Obviously, at eleven, there were lots of things I didn't understand, but I loved the flavor of the book. It was, by far, the most adult thing I'd ever read, and I don't mean that in terms of sex (although it certainly was). It was the scope of it, the number of different POV's, the large cast of characters and the horror of this haunted town, its kids, and this child killing monster. Basically, after reading IT, all juvenile fiction (esp. the Christopher PiIke/R.L. Stine books that were so popular at the time) lost its appeal for me. The only other King books that have fascinated me as much were The Stand and The Dark Tower series.

bettinas.ashes
01-22-2011, 10:44 PM
As I recall it, Pet Sematary was the first book I read by Stephen King. It scared the crap out of me too, as I couldn't have been much more than 11 at the time. I have been hooked on SK ever since though, both scary and not so scary novels.

Weird Terror 72
02-02-2011, 02:13 PM
First was Christine and its still my favorite.

harrison ryan
04-07-2011, 02:28 PM

I enjoyed this post, Jean, being something of a word person, too. It also made me re-examine 'Salem's Lot as a title, which brought to mind a third meaning in English, that of a "lot" as a grouping of objects or people (and something that is no doubt very familiar to the collectors on here from its usage in auctions). In the case of the novel, a host of freshly-turned vampires!

Ben Staad
04-07-2011, 04:35 PM
This is easy it was the Gunslinger and I was eleven or twelve years old. This was one of the few book on my aunts book case that she wouldn't allow me to borrow. So being a kid I couldn't wait to sneak this off the shelf and that's exactly what I did.

I remember when I read this book I was completely and utterly enthralled in the story and couldn't put it down. Even to this day that first reading was like walking into a completely new world and really opened my eyes to what story telling should be.

Jean
04-08-2011, 04:23 AM

I enjoyed this post, Jean, being something of a word person, too. It also made me re-examine 'Salem's Lot as a title, which brought to mind a third meaning in English, that of a "lot" as a grouping of objects or people (and something that is no doubt very familiar to the collectors on here from its usage in auctions). In the case of the novel, a host of freshly-turned vampires! wow, this had totally escaped me! I felt there had to be something more to it... http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

alinda
04-08-2011, 05:21 AM
:orely:

beam*seeker
05-02-2011, 04:03 PM
My first King book was Misery. My mum has a big hardback of it and I've always been a 'bookworm'. I read the back and liked the sound of it. I was hooked about 4 pages into it... been an avid fan ever since xD
(Although not quite so avid as Annie Wilkes... :unsure:)

This was my first SK book and it was a great place to start. What I remember vividly was that the story was realistic and totally horrifying because it could really happen. I had always sort of thought that SK was a boogey man author who wrote unrealistic horror stories, which sort of bored me at the ripe old cynical age of 13 or thereabouts. Anyway, I read Misery and what initially impressed me was the brilliant metaphor of the narrator who rode in and out on consciousness affected by the pain medications. The description of the alteration of perception really got me hooked into the story. What kept me reading was the suspense of what could happen to the narrator. After that, I found a copy of The Tommyknockers, and that one was really good too. I remember being grossed out by the period stuff and totally ripshit horrified by what happens to the beagle! Blew my little barely adolescent mind. Anyway, I wonder if my Mom had those books because all of my family members are fairly avid readers and my sis and I went back and forth on the SK books when we were kids, recommending stuff to each other.

To this day, I really love the SK horror stuff and the Fantasy as well, but the realistic stuff like Misery is for me the most satisfying. I really liked the Different Seasons book by SK as Richard Bachman because the stories were less horrific and very realistic. I always love that he writes about the fatal flaw of the character. I remember even as a kid thinking that Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption would make a great short film, and sure enough, that vision was realized. Those were my early forays into SK and he remains my fave author. Reading this thread does remind me of some early works I should go back and read since I was sort of put off by the movie versions (like Carrie and Pet Cemetary) and never got around to reading.

Great thread by the way. And yeah, I can't say I am SK's number one fan, but he is my #1 writer. Cockadoodie!

LadyHitchhiker
05-04-2011, 04:42 AM
I think I must've been born reading Stephen King because I can't remember the first one I read. However, I do remember the first one that changed my life, and that was the Drawing of the Three.... Completely blew my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!