PDA

View Full Version : Please Help! I Need Some New Music...

Arthur Heath
04-01-2008, 04:38 PM
I'm dying for some new music. How about some suggestions for perhaps a little more obscure bands...

Thanks!

Daghain
04-01-2008, 04:41 PM
What type of stuff do you like?

OchrisO
04-01-2008, 05:03 PM
http://www.plan-it-x.com

Unfound One
04-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Yeah, I'd definitely need a direction to go here before I just start naming off stuff I like.

Give us a couple of your favs...

obscurejude
04-02-2008, 07:33 AM
Obscure is my name. Listen to Elliott Smith. It will save your life. I don't know you well enough to give you specific songs or albums, but yes, give him a shot if you like acoustic rock with a lot of depth and passion.

Arthur Heath
04-02-2008, 10:34 AM
I'm pretty well rounded...I like classic rock, rock, blues, jazz, ska, alternative. Pretty much everything but indie, (hardcore) punk and of course country.

jayson
04-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Listen to Elliott Smith. It will save your life.

nothing ironic about that, huh? no offense to elliott of course.

Skolpadda - ever listen to any Tom Waits? he pretty much covers the range of musical styles. I'd pick up a copy of his album "Rain Dogs" to get a starters' idea of what he sounds like. the voice is an acquired taste, but the songwriting and the musicianship is spectacular.

Heather19
04-02-2008, 02:53 PM
http://yoavmusic.com/
Here's a new artist that I've recently gotten into. I got a chance to see him play back in october, and was very impressed. It's just him and his guitar, but you would never guess it just by listening, it sounds like he's got a full band with him. Not sure if it's your type of music, but I'd recommend checking him out.

Kevin
04-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Sam Roberts, Ill Scarlett, K-os (hip-hop but its good), Protest the Hero (metal), People in Planes are a few that I enjoy.

OchrisO
04-02-2008, 04:26 PM
I'm pretty well rounded...I like classic rock, rock, blues, jazz, ska, alternative. Pretty much everything but indie, (hardcore) punk and of course country.

Pretty much everything but the good stuff. :P

Jon
04-03-2008, 12:26 AM
If you can stand Metal...anything by Accept.

what
04-03-2008, 04:54 AM
Clutch...

blackrose22
04-03-2008, 05:23 AM

Dude thats a blast from the past. Proper old school Heavy Metal:thumbsup:

A few Metal bands that should have made it but didn't for various reasons but still worth checking out are Warrior Soul, Life of Agony and the glorious King's X.

King's X have a new album coming out in May which I can't wait for:excited: . Great melodies, monstrous riffs and amazing lyrics. One of the most original rock bands of all time. Well worth checking out.

devo133
04-03-2008, 05:29 PM
I'm dying for some new music. How about some suggestions for perhaps a little more obscure bands...

Thanks!

Here's a relatively obscure but great band, the Sundays. Beware though guys who listen to Harriet Wheeler sing usually fall madly in love with her :)

YouTube - The Sundays - Goodbye

Heather19
04-04-2008, 01:53 PM
I love their version of Wild Horses!

devo133
04-04-2008, 09:51 PM
I love their version of Wild Horses!

Yep, it's classic. It's kinda funny that their version is better known than the original Stones version.

YouTube - The Sundays - Wild Horses

Jon
04-05-2008, 10:58 PM

A few Metal bands that should have made it but didn't for various reasons but still worth checking out are Warrior Soul, Life of Agony and the glorious King's X.

King's X have a new album coming out in May which I can't wait for:excited: . Great melodies, monstrous riffs and amazing lyrics. One of the most original rock bands of all time. Well worth checking out.

have you sought out King Diamond?

Brice
04-05-2008, 10:59 PM

have you sought out King Diamond?

or Mercyful Fate?

Jon
04-05-2008, 11:51 PM
I think they share the same lead singer...right Brice?

Daghain
04-06-2008, 08:29 PM
http://yoavmusic.com/
Here's a new artist that I've recently gotten into. I got a chance to see him play back in october, and was very impressed. It's just him and his guitar, but you would never guess it just by listening, it sounds like he's got a full band with him. Not sure if it's your type of music, but I'd recommend checking him out.

Thanks for that one!

Heather19
04-07-2008, 03:09 PM
You should check him out live if he ever comes to your area. It's great to see how he creates all the sounds right in front of your eyes.

Ruthful
04-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Too Hip For The Room

Modern Man

Brice
04-10-2008, 03:44 AM
I think they share the same lead singer...right Brice?

Yes, Kim Peterson (King Diamond) was also the singer for and founder of Mercyful Fate.

Telynn
04-11-2008, 06:44 PM
You said classic rock, but I don't know how deep you have gotten.

Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination
and I Robot

Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Watch
and The Roaring Silence

Rangely
04-14-2008, 08:07 AM
I really like Cloud Cult, but I guess it sorta falls under indie.

LadyHitchhiker
04-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Has Been by William Shatner

Aeroplane over the sea by Neutral Milk Hotel

Even Hitler had a girlfriend by Mr. T Experience

One more minute by weird al yankovic

Any of the songs by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes are good...

Storyslinger
04-16-2008, 09:36 AM
Anything by Rammstein :thumbsup: