PDA

View Full Version : Slow mutants

Letti
03-28-2008, 01:56 AM
What can be their history? How did you imagine it?
Were they human beings?
Bruno, I am waiting for you here because somewhere I read your thought about it and I liked it a lot.

Ka-tet
03-28-2008, 01:58 AM
I belive rolands world is a version of our world many years in the future.

The slow mutants are victims or some sort of desise or, there mutation was caused by neucular warfare.

Because lets be honest its only a matter of time before the whole world goes to shit and we all start firing nuke's at eachother..

Letti
03-28-2008, 02:00 AM
Because lets be honest its only a matter of time before the whole world goes to shit and we all start firing nuke's at eachother..

We should print this optimistic thought on T-shirts. ;)

Ka-tet
03-28-2008, 02:01 AM
Hell yeah we should ^_^, im seriously going to do that now xD

Then ill market them allover the internet...ILL BE A BILLOINARE!!!

Letti
03-28-2008, 02:05 AM
Hell yeah we should ^_^, im seriously going to do that now xD

Then ill market them allover the internet...ILL BE A BILLOINARE!!!

And the whole world will make a BIG step to the forever depression. Yeeeaaaah!

Ka-tet
03-28-2008, 03:54 AM
WOOOO

Storyslinger
03-28-2008, 05:04 AM
I'm going with a version of our future with nuclear fallout that caused them to be the way they are. Or, you can always use zombies as an answer. ;)

Wuducynn
03-28-2008, 06:12 AM
Its official. The slow-mutants (aka Green folk), are humans that got infected by the biological and chemical warfare between the various nations of the Great Old Ones and also their experiments.

Ka-tet
03-28-2008, 10:23 AM
^ i thought as much.

obscurejude
03-28-2008, 02:01 PM
Are they human? Does anybody have a any good reasons why Roland killed the Childe of Roderick? Was it just an act of euthanasia?

cozener
03-28-2008, 02:14 PM
I took it to be a mercy killing.

Letti
03-28-2008, 02:29 PM
I took it to be a mercy killing.

me too

ManOfWesternesse
03-28-2008, 02:33 PM
I took the Slow Muties to be human yes, after exposure over a long period (generations?) to Nuclear fallout.

sarah
03-28-2008, 02:40 PM
I took the Slow Muties to be human yes, after exposure over a long period (generations?) to Nuclear fallout.

and possibly not seeing the sun and being driven underground. That can be some serious crazy, imo.

Ikilledthecrimsonking
03-28-2008, 03:26 PM
i always thought that the slow mutants are the decendents of some of the Stand Spoilersurviving citizens in las vegas nuclear explosion in the stand. and the radiation from the bomb slowly mutated them into the slow mutants we saw in the dark tower

I never really thought about that posobility until i read Wizard and Glass when they found the news paper about Caption Trips

Wuducynn
03-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Are they human?

Not anymore.

Was it just an act of euthanasia?

Yes.

John Blaze
03-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Ka-tet's first post pretty much summed up my post in the Beam thread, Letti, so there you go. I posted in here, for you.

Wuducynn
03-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Letti paying you to post in certain threads now?

obscurejude
03-28-2008, 05:28 PM
Are they human?

Not anymore.

Was it just an act of euthanasia?

Yes.

Not anymore eh? Care to elaborate? I'd be interested to hear.

Wuducynn
03-28-2008, 05:31 PM
Have you read The Gunslinger Born yet Obscure?

obscurejude
03-28-2008, 05:33 PM
I skimmed it. I have the first copy, but lack the rest. I skimmed the hardcover complete set in a Barnes and Noble and it didn't contain the supplemental material- the only reason I picked it up.

Wuducynn
03-28-2008, 05:40 PM
Well one of the end-stories deals with that after wars between the nations of the Great Old Ones, some tribes of humans were effected by the various biological and nuclear poisons left behind because of the wars and were mutated into the green folk.

obscurejude
03-28-2008, 05:42 PM
CK, so in what regard do they cease to be human? And, is that the reason that euthanasia is okay according to you? Should the folks after Chernobyl been killed, or the ones in post Hiroshima? I'm not trying to start an argument, but I would be interested in what you have to say if you are willing.

Wuducynn
03-28-2008, 06:12 PM
Whether the slow-mutant was human or not, it was suffering and asked for "the peace of the Clearing" so Roland gave it to him. Slow-mutants are creatures that were once human, but because of what happened with the Great Poisoning they are no longer, but their own species. Do you understand?

Wuducynn
03-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Yes, euthanasia is okay with me. But thats for another thread.

John Blaze
03-28-2008, 08:28 PM
Are they human? Does anybody have a any good reasons why Roland killed the Childe of Roderick? Was it just an act of euthanasia?

Oh, I just caught this, Children of Roderick and Slow Mutants be two different things, cully.

I'll come back to this tomorrow, I hope.

We're going to visit my family, but I'll try to get on there.

Wuducynn
03-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Oh, I just caught this, Children of Roderick and Slow Mutants be two different things, cully.

According to the Concordance the Rods are a type of slow-mutant. A particular tribe of them.

Letti
03-28-2008, 10:25 PM
I think they are absolutely different but they had a quite similar history..

Wuducynn
03-29-2008, 06:16 AM
Stubborn, stubborn Letti.

MonteGss
03-29-2008, 07:54 AM
Yes, my impression is that the Rods are slow mutants, the Children of Roderick is the name of one group/clan of them. :)

John Blaze
03-29-2008, 11:36 AM
well excuse me, butt pirates :sarcasm:

The slow mutants in LSOE and the ones under the mountains behaved way different and looked way different than the rods. So there.

Brainslinger
03-29-2008, 11:40 AM
There shouldn't be any doubt that the Children of Roderick are slow mutants in that the books state they are!

I guess the confusion arises from the the fact that the other slow mutants we've encountered before then (i.e. the muties under the mountain, in The Gunslinger, and the green folk in Little Sisters of Eluria) are hostile whilst the Roderick folk are gentle (albeit they have disgusting tastes.) Personality and action has nothing to do with mutation though, (except that the form of mutation could increase the chance of insanity I suppose.)

I'm glad the Children of Roderick were introduced though, it's interesting and more realistic that grotesque appearance doesn't assume a wicked personality. (Wicked in the evil meaning not the misinterpretation used nowadays.)

Wuducynn
03-29-2008, 02:02 PM
well excuse me, butt pirates :sarcasm:

The slow mutants in LSOE and the ones under the mountains behaved way different and looked way different than the rods. So there.

Why don't you go anally rape a Child of Roderick? :thumbsup:

John Blaze
04-04-2008, 11:36 PM
i'm busy with your sister.

But seriously, weren't the muties under the mountain the same variety as the muties in Eluria? That's the image that pops into my head when someone says Slow Mutants, green ape-ish people whom have been mutated by radioactivity, I guess.

I got a question though, could there be any nice muties? The Children of Roderick seemed to be mostly "good guys" if a little slow and harmless. But all the green slowbees have been evil, so far as we can tell from the books.

Wuducynn
04-04-2008, 11:43 PM
i'm busy with your sister.

But seriously, weren't the muties under the mountain the same variety as the muties in Eluria? That's the image that pops into my head when someone says Slow Mutants, green ape-ish people whom have been mutated by radioactivity, I guess.

I got a question though, could there be any nice muties? The Children of Roderick seemed to be mostly "good guys" if a little slow and harmless. But all the green slowbees have been evil, so far as we can tell from the books.

Yeah, those seem like the same variety that lived in Eluria, and the Rods seemed like they weren't predatory on humans. To me there are different tribes and varieties of mutants that are generally called "slow-mutants". The Concordance does bare this out, not that its perfect, I've found some problems with it. But its pretty on the ball.

Brainslinger
04-08-2008, 01:55 PM
I noticed that some of the mutants under the mountains in the gunslinger had other non human characteristics too, like tentacles and such like. That was something that isn't mentioned concerning the green-folk of Eluria. Doesn't mean none of them did of course, but I get he impression they were just like green deformed humans.

I'm not saying they were different in origin though. They're all slow-mutants of human origin. I just thought the whole tentacle thing was kind of curious though as it seems completely non human. Maybe those ones had been specifically experimented on or throwaways from old ones' genetic enigneering too?

mia/susannah
04-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Its official. The slow-mutants (aka Green folk), are humans that got infected by the biological and chemical warfare between the various nations of the Great Old Ones and also their experiments.

Couldn't agree more.

Wuducynn
04-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Maybe those ones had been specifically experimented on or throwaways from old ones' genetic enigneering too?

Possibly. Or just some kind of mutation that came about from when the Great Old Ones attacked the Dark Tower

LadyHitchhiker
04-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Honestly, I picture something like what happened in Beneath The Planet of the Apes...

LadyHitchhiker
10-30-2008, 05:06 AM
worshipping the big Gawd Bomb... then degenerating because of radioation, and other elements.

Brainslinger
11-05-2008, 12:58 PM
worshipping the big Gawd Bomb... then degenerating because of radioation, and other elements.

I loved that scene. Really freaky! Certainly fits well with the cretins under the mountains.

Beneath The Planet of the Ape's Spoilers (for those who haven't seen that movie-)
Unfortunately for the slow mutants, they don't have any telepathic powers to counterbalance their physical deformity. (At least none of the creatures we have met so far.) I wondered a bit at the word 'slow' but considering how messed up they are it makes a lot of sense.

mystima
11-06-2008, 08:39 PM
if you read The Mist wouldn't you think that they are the throw-aways of the old ones and were sent to this world...something to think about. they did have tentacles and stuff like that.