PDA

View Full Version : Stephen KING in theatre

herbertwest
03-27-2008, 12:04 PM
Does anyone know a sort of listing of King adaptations on stage?

DanishCollector
03-27-2008, 02:48 PM
There's been a great deal of adaptations of Misery, in various countries, even here in Denmark.

I know Rage was once performed as a stage-play, and Dolores Claiborne not so long ago. "The Man in the Black Suit" was supposed to have been a opera (I kid you not) but it never happened.

Then, of course, the little one-minute plays King wrote himself (The Accident, An Evening at God's and an untitled one about Batman and Robin which he wrote in college and which was performed on Class Day).

Next year, Ghost Brothers of Darkland County, written by King and with music and songs by John Mellencamp.

Bev Vincent
03-27-2008, 03:46 PM
And Carrie, of course -- it's been a musical a couple of times, once with a drag queen in the title role. And puppets.

DanishCollector
03-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Ah yes, I forgot about Carrie. Thanks for the reminder, Bev.

herbertwest
03-31-2008, 01:11 PM
the little one-minute plays King wrote himself (an untitled one about Batman and Robin which he wrote in college and which was performed on Class Day).

never heard about it... what is that story?

DanishCollector
03-31-2008, 03:47 PM
Unfortunately I don't know anymore, yet! It will be detailed in Justin Brooks' upcoming King bibliography. It probably had a title back then, but the play might have been lost and the only info is more or less vague memories (maybe King himself can't remember the title).

Maybe Bev knows something, unless he's sworn to secrecy until Justin's book comes out?

I would also love to learn more about "The Accident."

jhanic
04-01-2008, 03:34 AM
I'll check my ARC of Brooks' book. I have to go to my tutoring job now, but I'll check as soon as I get back.

John

DanishCollector
04-01-2008, 07:20 AM
Super. I look forward to hear/read what you find in the book.

BTW, Justin Brooks is a hell of a nice guy and I can't wait to get my sweaty hands on his book.

jhanic
04-01-2008, 09:33 AM
The first item in Brooks' book under Unpublished Plays:

K1[Title unknown]--

This is a script about Batman and Robin that King wrote for Class Day. This piece was written and performed in 1966.
That's all he had to say.

John

DanishCollector
04-01-2008, 10:19 AM
OK, that wasn't much. The title and plot will probably remain unknown forever.

Since you have the book (or ARC) can you check what is written about "The Accident"? Also, if you could check out Training Exercises, Poltergeist, Lurching Charm, Cancelled Stamp, Evil at a Country Fair and Flight of Fancy?

I know, I know, wait until the book, but dang it, my patience is soooooo screwed up!

jhanic
04-01-2008, 10:40 AM
K2 The Accident --

This one-act play was written in 1969.

L12 Training Exercises --

This is a story treatment written by Stephen King in 1986. The project was abandoned when Dino Di Laurentiis' North Carolina Film Corporation went bankrupt. According to Castle Rock-The Stephen King Newsletter, this piece "concerns a number of elderly WWII and Korean Warhorses who own their own Pacific Island and trick young kids into coming each year to participate in a 'harmless training exercise'.

There's a bit more about it, but you'll have to wait on the book. (By the way, the publication date on the back cover of the ARC is listed as December 2006!)

I'm a bit cautious about quoting any more from the book due to copyright problems. I seriously doubt there'd be any repercussions, but I'd rather not take the chance!

I plan on ordering a copy of the book itself after it's published. I've learned to NEVER pre-order from Cemetary Dance unless it's absolutely necessary. They miss so many of their publication deadlines that I just wait. If, for some reason, I miss out on the book initially, I'm sure I'll be able to get a copy somewhere. The only time I pre-order is when I want a matching number for a signed numbered book. I did this for Secretary of Dreams Volume II.

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-01-2008, 11:14 AM
OK, that wasn't much. The title and plot will probably remain unknown forever.

Since you have the book (or ARC) can you check what is written about "The Accident"? Also, if you could check out Training Exercises, Poltergeist, Lurching Charm, Cancelled Stamp, Evil at a Country Fair and Flight of Fancy?

I know, I know, wait until the book, but dang it, my patience is soooooo screwed up!

All these are mentioned in "The Complete Guide to the Works of Stephen King" 3rd edition CD. The book does not give anything new.

DanishCollector
04-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Thankee-sai. I understand that you can't quote too much of the book. I'll wait for the book.

Yup, I'm familiar with CD's publication delays, although I've never ordered from them myself.

I have the 3rd version of the CD-ROM and don't recall these titles being covered, but now that I think about, these pieces might be non-fiction.

BTW, I dropped you a post/message elsewhere on this site, in the Collections section.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-01-2008, 11:27 AM
I have the 3rd version of the CD-ROM and don't recall these titles being covered, but now that I think about, these pieces might be non-fiction.

Book 1. Section 1.5 Unpublished or Lost works
Lost Works or Those Held by King - page 6

jhanic
04-01-2008, 11:44 AM
I never even thought of looking on the CD. Another senior moment, I guess.

John