PDA

View Full Version : Did you feel the same when Roland... *DT7 spoilers*

Letti
03-24-2008, 11:08 PM
DT7 spoilers around!

Did you feel the same when Roland was kneeling at the rose and he said: "I'll come back, he told it. I swear by the gods of all worlds,
by my mother and father and my friends that were, that I'll come back."
It's in my sig too.
I might see the loop everywhere and King didn't think of it when he wrote those lines but now that I finished the series and I am rereading those lines shocked me. I wanted to cry out: "Dear Lord, Roland! Be careful what you swear!!"

So my question is quite simple am I alone or did you feel this, too when you reread this very part?

mia/susannah
03-25-2008, 04:39 AM
Letti, you are not alone. I was happy for Roland when he finally made it to the tower and started his climb to the top. But then we found out it was a loop and he had to start this quest all over again. My question is how many times has Roland had to repeat this quest for the tower?

MonteGss
03-25-2008, 06:12 AM
I didn't think of this part in terms of the loop. Roland did return to see the Rose, when he visited the Tet Corporation in Book 7.

Looking at that scene in terms of the loop though is very interesting indeed.

Storyslinger
03-25-2008, 08:16 AM
Right, I agree Monte. But, it does seem kind of ironic that he somewhat put himself ino the position to continue the loop.

obscurejude
03-25-2008, 07:55 PM
I think the scene with the rose is very indicative of what makes Roland Ka's candidate in saving the tower. He is compelled, perhaps obsessively, but also beautifully. The scene did not surprise, nor did the loop. I very much enjoyed it though.

Jean
03-25-2008, 11:32 PM
I didn't think of this part in terms of the loop.
Neither did I, and don't think I ever will.

jayson
03-26-2008, 03:42 AM

I don't see it like that either. I took the scene as literally as I could, Roland realized what the Rose was, and swore he would protect it because he knew it was not yet made safe, and that he was as sworn to protecting it as he was the Tower since, in at least some sense, the Flower is the Tower.

Letti
03-26-2008, 05:08 AM

I don't see it like that either. I took the scene as literally as I could, Roland realized what the Rose was, and swore he would protect it because he knew it was not yet made safe, and that he was as sworn to protecting it as he was the Tower since, in at least some sense, the Flower is the Tower.

That's okay, guys. I think my fantasy is way too wild and wide. I see signs and symbols everywhere.

MonteGss
03-26-2008, 07:46 AM
Like I said before Letti, just reading the quote in your sig and remembering that part, I can see how it could apply to the loop. I just don't think it was written that way. I think it was written that way because Roland was going to see it again...in Book 7. Just my opinion. :)

obscurejude
03-26-2008, 07:49 AM
We'll Letti, I did think of it in terms of the loop.:rock:

Wuducynn
03-26-2008, 07:51 AM
I think my fantasy is way too wild and wide.

Just remember, there is no such thing as fantasy that is too wild and wide. I agree with Monte, I can see where you get the idea, but I don't think it was written with that intent.

obscurejude
03-26-2008, 07:53 AM
Maybe King didn't write it with that intent, but ves ka Gan doesn't require authorial intent.

Wuducynn
03-26-2008, 07:54 AM
Umm okay.

obscurejude
03-26-2008, 07:55 AM
It was stupid comment, I just read the "this haze of green and gold" part to DT VII last night. And, I just woke up. But, I do think Letti is right in making that connection.

obscurejude
03-26-2008, 07:56 AM
And, I like starting sentences with conjunctions. If, it pleases you.

jayson
03-26-2008, 09:38 AM
And, I like starting sentences with conjunctions. If, it pleases you.

or if it doesn't.

obscurejude
03-26-2008, 09:40 AM
:lol: