PDA

View Full Version : Let's do the Time Warp Again

LadyHitchhiker
03-21-2008, 10:49 AM
So this is the unofficial official thread about Rocky Horror Picture Show... Anyone a fan? Anyone hate it? Anyone been to a show? Let's talk!!! And you Shockies are welcome here too, who followed Shock Treatment as well!! :rock:

Mattrick
03-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Yeah, I hate every second of the movie. I'm done.

LadyHitchhiker
03-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Why don't you like any of it, may I ask?

Matt
03-21-2008, 01:13 PM
I thought it has some amazing music in it. The thing was all the rage when I was a teenager and my parents (being the progressives they are) took us to a midnight showing at the Oriental in Denver.

The line got egg'd...it was great!

LadyHitchhiker
03-21-2008, 01:14 PM
I went and saw it at the Orpheum in Madison... I drove six hours just to see it performed in front of the movie being played. It was AMAZING. I wore a bra and a slip and went as Janet. :D

Mattrick
03-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Why don't you like any of it, may I ask?

I hate musicals, for starters, Don't like the music, especially the time warp song and as someone who DJ's weddings/parties I've endured it enough. When I was a kid I watched it assuming it was a horror movie and I was really mistaken and I'm just glad I've erased everything but Time Warp from my head. I've always assumed I'd have to have grown up during the 70's and dropped some LSD to enjoy it lol. The way everyone dressed up and sat in a theatre watching it, guess it was a cult craze and not many people from my generation are up on it. I suspect they will try and remake it one day, I'm sure.

I avoid all musicals; moulin rouge, hairspray, chicago...and the singing in Disney movies really annoys me. It's a form of entertainment that has zero appeal to me. Personally, I just find any musical I've ever watched to be insanely stupid.

But people say the same about professional wrestling to me. A different flavour of pie for everyone :orely:

Mattrick
03-21-2008, 01:20 PM
I did see Phantom of the Opera in it's heydey in Toronto as a kid and I remember thinking that was alright. That's about the extent of musical taste. I even find many musical sequences say in Family Guy or South Park take away from it...from time to time.

Erin
03-21-2008, 01:21 PM
I love Rocky Horror! There is an old timey theatre in Lexington which has midnight shows quite often. When I was a senior in high school, I filled in as Janet for my friend during the show. It was so awesome. One interesting thing, I never liked it much until I went to one of the shows. It was such a fun experience, I liked the movie a lot more.

LadyHitchhiker
03-21-2008, 01:23 PM
I love professional wrestling and I selectively love musicals. I love Hair but not necessarily Hairspay, I adore RHPS, like Shock Treatment but didn't like Chicago and hate Moulin Rouge. I like most Disney musicals... But I love music. Haven't watched this new Around the world (or whatever it's called yet) but since it involves the Beatles I may have to watch it.
Why? Do I love Rocky Horror Picture Show? I guess it's just a form of art that opened my eyes to a whole entire world. It just seemed like a complete artpiece to me...

LadyHitchhiker
03-21-2008, 01:24 PM
I LOVE Phantom of the Opera.

LadyHitchhiker
03-21-2008, 01:24 PM
*AND* I loved the South Park movie...

Mattrick
03-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Yeah South Park movie was great. I enjoyed how they did the musical sequences on purpose to mock Disney films. Watching Robin Williams perform 'Blame Canada' at the Oscars was awesome.

RUBE
03-22-2008, 06:32 AM
I love professional wrestling and I selectively love musicals. I love Hair but not necessarily Hairspay, I adore RHPS, like Shock Treatment but didn't like Chicago and hate Moulin Rouge. I like most Disney musicals... But I love music. Haven't watched this new Around the world (or whatever it's called yet) but since it involves the Beatles I may have to watch it.
Why? Do I love Rocky Horror Picture Show? I guess it's just a form of art that opened my eyes to a whole entire world. It just seemed like a complete artpiece to me...

I believe the Beatles movie that you mean is Across the Universe. It is ok but it tries to force too many songs in and some of them don't fit. While I thought it was ok, I have seen others post that thought it was the worst thing ever.

Oh, and back to the point, I have never seen RHPS all the way through but my wife likes it and her parents apparently really like it.

Matt
03-22-2008, 06:54 AM
Its a fun little thing for sure. As long as you don't mind some mind bending trans sexuality :lol:

I love the song at the beginning with the lips.

(this is from memory and probably wrong in many ways)

Michael Rainey was ill
the day the earth stood still
but he told us...
where to stand

And Flash Gorden was there
in silver underwear
Claude Rains was the Invisible Man...

Then something went wrong
for Faye Ray and King Kong
they got caught in a celluloid jam

Then at a deadly pace
it came from...
Outer Space
and this is how the message ran

Science fiction (ooh ooh ooh) double feature
Doctor X (ooh ooh ooh) will build a creature
See androids fighting (ooh ooh ooh) Brad and Janet
Anne Francis stars in (ooh ooh ooh) Forbidden Planet
Wo oh oh oh oh oh
At the late night, double feature, picture show

Richard O'Brien is seriously cool as shit, wrote the whole thing basically.

mia/susannah
03-22-2008, 06:57 AM
I have never seen the Rocky Horror Show.

Matt
03-22-2008, 07:04 AM
Its worth a look, I'd suggest a few drinks first.

Basically its a parody musical poking fun at the 50's science fiction era. The typical couple lost, mad scientist...stuff like that.

However, its also quite sexually charged because the mad scientist himself (Dr. Frank N Furter) is very um....progressive. :lol:

His opening song tidbit. (again from memory)

How'd you do I'm
pleased you met my
faithful handyman

he's just a bit brought down because
when you knocked
he thought you were the
candyman

Don't get brought down
by the way I look
don't judge a book by its cover

I may not look like much of a man
by the light of day
but by night
I'm one hell of a lover

I'm just a sweet transvestite...

mia/susannah
03-22-2008, 12:19 PM
Sounds like I should try to check it out sometime.

LadyHitchhiker
03-22-2008, 01:31 PM
Tim Curry is one of the best actors of all time.

Unfound One
03-25-2008, 05:46 PM
I love Rocky Horror, although technically I'm still a virgin because I've never been to an ACTUAL midnight showing with a cast.

I've been to see the movie at midnight 3 times though, and all three times I made up goodie bags for my group of friends.
Getting pelted with rice never felt so good :lol:

Erin
03-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Great Scott!

OchrisO
03-25-2008, 07:07 PM
I don't think Rocky Horror is horrible by any means, but I have never really gotrten into it as far as the midnight showings and such go. I think that is mainly because I had friends in highschool who were completely obsessed with it and I got tired of hearing them talk about it.

It is an entertaining movie, though.

Jon
03-30-2008, 03:06 AM
It is TWICE the show with the cast in the audience. I went to a couple of showings in this tiny town and I and my friends had to be the cast. The fools were showing Rocky Horror Picture show, after midnight, on a weekend...with no cast! We were appalled (And wasted) so we became the cast.

Years later (I was maybe 35) I went to see it when I was sober. It isn't quite as good with a clear head and no cast.

Telynn
03-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Sounds like I should try to check it out sometime.

If all you are planning on doing is renting it and watching it at home, don't bother. It's an audience participation thing.

The college my son goes to always shows it on the lawn outside the student union on Halloween night.

LadyHitchhiker
04-04-2008, 12:55 AM
Guess who's in the Flash Gordon movie from the 80s? I was excited.

Richard O'Brien!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jon
04-05-2008, 11:05 PM
"Damn it!"

(Damn it!)

Janet!

(Janet!)

My favorite line...obscure but I like it!

Unfound One
04-05-2008, 11:10 PM
"Damn it, Janet"

"You're a slut!"

(audience participation, of course :))

Darkthoughts
04-06-2008, 03:20 AM
I went to see The Rocky Horror Picture Show in Picadilly Circus in London in 1990. Anthony Stewart Head (Giles from Buffy) was Frank N Furter and he was awesome!
I was a bit gutted that my boyfriend looked better in a corset than I did though :lol:

Jon
04-13-2008, 09:03 PM
OHHH!!!

Pics of the boyfriend in the corset please!

LadyHitchhiker
04-15-2008, 03:55 PM
And fishnets.. Me-ow!

Darkthoughts
04-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Jon, I wish! I didn't have a camera then...damn shame, he was the finest 16 year old I ever saw :wub:

Fall of Gilead
04-16-2008, 01:16 PM
"Janet!"
"Dr. Scott!"
"Janet!"
"Brad!"
"Rocky!"

LadyHitchhiker
04-17-2008, 06:14 AM
You're a hotdog
but you better not try to hurt her
frankfurter...

LadyHitchhiker
04-17-2008, 06:15 AM
T-t-t-ouch me is probably my alltime favorite song of sexual freedom.

Unfound One
04-17-2008, 06:59 AM
"Janet!"
"Dr. Scott!"
"Janet!"
"Brad!"
"Rocky!"

Bullwinkle!

Fall of Gilead
04-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Sing to us o hairless one!

Jon
04-19-2008, 09:14 PM
Jon, I wish! I didn't have a camera then...damn shame, he was the finest 16 year old I ever saw :wub:

YIKES!...underage...how old are you?

Darkthoughts
04-20-2008, 03:16 AM
:lol: I'm 34 now, but at the time I was also 16 ;)

Woofer
04-20-2008, 06:47 AM
As I've noted in other threads, I adore RHPS (not so much Shock Treatment, which I feel is overrated). I used to play Columbia and Janet in my (then) local casts - at different times, of course, hair length and all. Alas, I have no pictures. I agree that Tim Curry is an excellent actor, and I find him utterly irresistable as Dr. Frank-n-Furter. RAWR!!!

Sorry so rambly, I'm still waking up.

LadyHitchhiker
04-21-2008, 04:03 PM
I find Tim Curry irresistable in all forms.

Unfound One
04-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Yup, pretty much. :)

Jon
04-26-2008, 10:18 PM
I was an excellent Janet!

LadyHitchhiker
05-05-2008, 03:10 PM
You were Janet too?!?!? That's sooooooo hot!!! :wub:

Maera
05-10-2008, 10:10 PM
I adore Rocky Horror Picture Show. I went to a Halloween showing on campus last year with a bunch of my friends. Everyone was dressed up spectacularly, a a very sparkly gay man in drag (As he insisted upon referring to himself as) did my way over the top make-up and put a huge lipstick V on my forehead.

We (the virgins) had to perform "I'm a little tea pot" as seductively as we could in front of the rest of the crowd, and we booed if we didn't "show more skin" The entire experience was AH-mazing and I cannot wait to do it again next year.

Matt
05-12-2008, 08:24 AM
I would have liked to see that! :lol:

LadyHitchhiker
05-14-2008, 04:02 PM
Did I mention that I went to the orpheum in madison and watched the show dressed only in my bra and a slip and some sassy heels?

Jon
05-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Did I mention that I went to the orpheum in madison and watched the show dressed only in my bra and a slip and some sassy heels?

I'm going to need pics as proof!

LadyHitchhiker
05-24-2008, 04:47 PM
No pics.. :(

But I still have the slip so I can make new pics!!!! :D :P

B Rag
08-04-2008, 09:12 AM
I can't believe I've missed this thread so far!

Rocky Horror Picture Show is among my favorite movies! Unfortunately, most of my friends aren't into it, and have little interest in transvestites. But one of them loves it, and I did convince another of my friends to watch it a few times, so now he loves it too!

When I was little, I once asked my dad what his least favorite movie was; he said the Rocky Horror Picture Show. (He and my uncle had gone to see it in a theater back in the 70s or 80s) Years later, I saw that it was on TV on VH1, and he agreed to turn it on, so I could "see how bad it is". Of course, I loved it! Since my cousins (the sons of that same uncle) also love it, I watched it again with them, and eventually bought my own copy. I also have another cousin who loves it, but she lives far away.

I hope I get to go see it in a theater someday, that would be excellent!

P.S: You should all thank LadyHitchhiker for getting me back into an RHPS mood the other night, inspiring me to search "Rocky Horror Picture Show" in the forums.

Matt
08-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Its a hell of a ride to be sure and the music is the best I have ever heard in a "musical".

Ves'Ka Gan
08-04-2008, 12:57 PM
I actually have never *gasp* seen it either in a theatre OR with a cast. A big group of my friends went once, but alas, it was a mere 3 days BEFORE I graduated bootcamp, so as you might imagine, I was otherwise occupied.

I love the film though, I own it--somewhere, because some nights are just Rocky Horror nights!

razz
08-04-2008, 01:00 PM
1000 beam buck to whoever posts a video of themselves doing the time warp along with the song. come on. you know you want to.

B Rag
08-04-2008, 03:36 PM
I do want to! But not right now.

KaLikeAWheel
08-04-2008, 07:47 PM
I love RHPS!! My husband and I often torture our 6-month-old grandson with it. One of us sings The Time Warp while the other makes him hold his little hands on his hips and do pelvic thrusts....He'll need therapy someday.:rofl:
I used to do it with all my kids when they were little, too...don't ask how they turned out. :cyclops:

Donna

B Rag
08-05-2008, 07:13 AM
:lol:

LadyHitchhiker
08-28-2008, 03:35 PM
I'm sure they turned out fine... the RHPS is the best movie I've ever seen... I'm integreating is as part of my exercise routine, doing the time warp every day (plus adding some steps) to help lose weight!!!!!!!

razz
08-28-2008, 04:07 PM
then post it! 5000 beam bucks! come one!

VastOne
08-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Love RHPS, been to at least a hundred all niters.....

And, oh BTW, Meatloaf is my cousin.....

Yunsung
08-28-2008, 10:36 PM
I normally wouldn't post in a thread about something just to hate on it, but the first post invited it, so... here goes.

I hated this movie more than I've hated anything else I've experienced in the history of movies, music, or books.

I don't hate musicals. I like Phantom. I adore Moulin Rouge. I like the stage version of Evita. But the Rocky Horror Picture Show is something that I believe only became popular because it's so bad.

Every character is thoroughly unlikeable. The lost couple are spineless and stupid, the doctor is pretentious and kinda a rapist, and the whole thing just seems contrived. It's like it sets out to be offensive, and as with most things that try to be offensive, it fails in completing its objective as far as I'm concerned.

Far from being offensive or groundbreaking, I just find it to be annoying. Like the goth kid who sits in the back of class writing "die" a hundred times over in her little sketchbook or the flamboyant guy who acts out like he's the first gay kid in the history of high school (thus, through his "different" behavior, making life a lot harder for other people who just happen to be gay), this movie stands out as an attention-starved attempt at that lauded finish line - the one that lies just out of reach for any who have the audacity to reach for it:

Controversy!

Yunsung
08-28-2008, 11:32 PM
Meh. I... won't bore you with my opinion. It should be fairly obvious by now.

Anyway, I'm glad you like it. Tim Curry is really talented, and even though I personally think this particular movie is a down note for him, it does please me that he's getting some fractional royalty from its (obviously considerable) sales.

Woofer
08-29-2008, 04:17 AM
I normally wouldn't post in a thread about something just to hate on it, but the first post invited it, so... here goes.

I hated this movie more than I've hated anything else I've experienced in the history of movies, music, or books.

I don't hate musicals. I like Phantom. I adore Moulin Rouge. I like the stage version of Evita. But the Rocky Horror Picture Show is something that I believe only became popular because it's so bad.

Every character is thoroughly unlikeable. The lost couple are spineless and stupid, the doctor is pretentious and kinda a rapist, and the whole thing just seems contrived. It's like it sets out to be offensive, and as with most things that try to be offensive, it fails in completing its objective as far as I'm concerned.

Far from being offensive or groundbreaking, I just find it to be annoying. Like the goth kid who sits in the back of class writing "die" a hundred times over in her little sketchbook or the flamboyant guy who acts out like he's the first gay kid in the history of high school (thus, through his "different" behavior, making life a lot harder for other people who just happen to be gay), this movie stands out as an attention-starved attempt at that lauded finish line - the one that lies just out of reach for any who have the audacity to reach for it:

Controversy!

We won't bust on you. We'll just let you sit in the back of the thread being that goth kid while we continue with our RHPS love party over here. http://psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/Party.gif http://psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/cake.gif

I had to. http://psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/wink.gif Naturally you can voice your opinion, and if you'd like, we can seriously discuss it. You sound like your mind is made up, however, and nothing anyone says will have an affect on that. Am I right or...?

Yunsung
08-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Nah, you're right. :)

Lance
09-01-2008, 08:08 PM
I saw RHPS for the first time the right way: My best friend in college took me to a halloween renactment showing on campus. I loved it.

Matt
09-02-2008, 08:26 AM
I wouldn't say the movie changed my life or anything but the score is one of the most original ever done in a musical imo.

Loved Tim Curry in it, only man crush I've ever really had. :lol:

LadyHitchhiker
10-27-2008, 02:30 PM
YouTube - Happy Feet-Rose Tint my World
:wtf:

razz
11-13-2008, 06:25 PM
just a jump to the left <(^^<)

and then a step to the riiiiiight (>^^)>

put you hand on your hips (>^^<)

and bend your knees in tiiight (^^)

but it's the pelvic thruuuust (not a clue, sorry)

that really drives you insaaaaaane <(Oo)>

leeets dooo the time warp agaaaaain <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)>

leeets dooo the time warp agaaaaaaaaain <(^^<) <(^^)> (>^^)>

mystima
11-13-2008, 06:30 PM
just a jump to the left

and then a step to the riiiiiight

put you hand on your hips (audience part)[or somebody else's]

and bend your knees in tiiight

but it's the pelvic thruuuust

that really drives you insaaaaaane

leeets dooo the time warp agaaaaain

leeets dooo the time warp agaaaaaaaaain

Harrald
11-14-2008, 02:39 PM
Oh No!!!!!! Not Meat Loaf AGAIN!!!

I used to go to the 8th street playhouse in NYC's Greenwich village every Friday night for more than a year. We never had the compulsion to dress up but we sure did bring props with us.

I still remember all the music and can recite most of the audience participation. My wife saw it for the first time a few years ago on cable and hated it. She still can't believe her brothers and I used to go all the time when we were teenagers.

My sister and I went to see it at another theater one night and the fellow was playing Rocky was selling pot by the ounce at the door.

"Where's your fucking neck"!!!!!

LadyHitchhiker
11-14-2008, 03:11 PM
I :wub: Meatloaf...

razz
11-15-2008, 05:51 PM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/funny-pictures-cat-does-a-jump-to-the-left-and-a-step-to-the-right.jpg (http://icanhascheezburger.com/2008/11/14/funny-pictures-jus-a-jump-to-da-left-an-den-a-step-to-da-rite/#more-100164)

The Lady of Shadows
11-15-2008, 09:32 PM
:wub: