PDA

View Full Version : He is Legend (w/ "Throttle" by King & Hill) - Gauntlet Press

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Randall Flagg
03-21-2008, 08:40 AM
I have reason to believe that a Signed Limited/and or small press publication of either 'Just after Sunset', or the untitled novella collaboration by King and Joe Hill will be announced very soon.

NeedfulKings
03-21-2008, 09:00 AM
.... or the untitled novella collaboration by King and Joe Hill will be announced very soon.

This is really happening? I've been out of the loop....I'd love to see this!!!

mia/susannah
03-21-2008, 09:27 AM
I would love to get a copy of it

Justin Case
03-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Hey, thanks for teh heads up... please keep us posted - I'd LOVE to have a copy of this one..

what
03-21-2008, 09:39 AM
Add me to the list! I hope its the story collection... i love his collections!

Chooch
03-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Yes please keep us in the loop on this

herbertwest
03-21-2008, 10:44 AM
would be great!
specially the hill/king story :-)

jemaher
03-21-2008, 12:41 PM
very cool. love to get a copy

Ari_Racing
03-21-2008, 12:53 PM
:)

Cool!

shnnrc01
03-21-2008, 01:07 PM
sounds great,i cant wait.

Ari_Racing
03-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Randall Flagg is someone who has very good contacts then :)
That kinda info is not given just because. :)

Daghain
03-22-2008, 08:50 AM
Exciting! :panic:

educatedlady
03-22-2008, 09:08 AM
Oh my...this is very exciting. :excited:

namelessnpoor
03-22-2008, 02:56 PM
Sounds good, as soon as you can let us know more (title, press doing it etc..) please do I want to be sure and get in on the title if its something i want !!
thanks for the info !!

Calla_Wolf
03-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Echoing above comments - thanks for the heads-up. Keep us posted matey

Clacke
03-24-2008, 02:02 AM
Just to let you all know that I received an email from Gauntlet Press announcing the collaboration by Stephen King and Joe Hill called He Is Legend: Celebrating Richard Matheson, and that it is available for preorder now on their site at www.gauntletpress.com

Here's a little bit of the email:

Now Gauntlet Press has assembled He Is Legend: Celebrating Richard Matheson, a spectacular anthology of original, never-before published stories by today's best writers -- stories set in Richard Matheson's own fictional universes, and published with Mr. Matheson's complete cooperation!

And, among the many contributions to the book is the first collaboration ever between Stephen King and his son Joe Hill, the novella "Throttle" their take on Matheson's classic "Duel." This is, obviously, a once-in-a-lifetime publishing event as its father and sons first collaboration. Both Stephen King and Joe Hill will be signing both the numbered and lettered editions.

:excited:

wizardsrainbow
03-24-2008, 02:33 AM
Clacke-

I owe you one! Thanks for the post and the alert. I ordered the Lettered edition. Lucky I live on the East Coast.

CRinVA
03-24-2008, 02:57 AM
Clacke-

I owe you one! Thanks for the post and the alert. I ordered the Lettered edition. Lucky I live on the East Coast.

And I thank you - I ordered a S/L Numbered copy!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-24-2008, 03:33 AM
Clacke I owe you one as well! Thanks for the post and the alert. I ordered the Lettered and Numbered.

Sir_Boomme
03-24-2008, 05:20 AM
Clacke I owe you one as well! Thanks for the post and the alert. I ordered the Lettered and Numbered.

ditto...numbered(w/slipcase) and lettered here also.
thanks much for the heads up!:excited:

BTW... i hate that this news seems to always be released at 4 to 5 am (or earlier)in the morning texas time....
it gives wiz (and the rest of you easterners) an unfair advantage :(
luckily i woke up early, logged in and saw this....though i didn't actually buy it til 8:15 am.... i'm pleasantly surprised it went through.
(and yes, 8 am is early for me)
(i'm thinking i'm going to have to give wiz my credit card number so he can order for me from now on. ha ha)

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-24-2008, 05:51 AM
i'm thinking i'm going to have to give wiz my credit card number

Do it. Do it! OK Wiz, I will send my wants list to you :lol:

jhanic
03-24-2008, 06:17 AM
Ordered my s/n+slipcase.

John

Randall Flagg
03-24-2008, 06:19 AM
I hate it coming early too.
I had inside info, but found out "officially" just now.

Randall Flagg
03-24-2008, 06:21 AM
I ordered a lettered and the $200 slipcase (I assume the numbered book comes in it?). I also ordered a $25 slipcase.

Edit:
I had so much adrenaline going, I could barely negotiate the site!

jhanic
03-24-2008, 06:22 AM
Same here. I found out about the upcoming work last week (and was asked not to mention it) but had no indication WHEN it would be announced.

John

Randall Flagg
03-24-2008, 06:24 AM
How long should I wait before announcing this in the Official area?

jhanic
03-24-2008, 06:31 AM
I'd say to go ahead and do it now. (We've got ours!) :innocent:

John

Randall Flagg
03-24-2008, 06:34 AM
John, was I correct in assuming the $200 slipcase includes the Signed numbered 1/750?

jhanic
03-24-2008, 06:35 AM
That's what I assumed.

John

artan
03-24-2008, 06:37 AM
mmhhh....:orely:
The www.gauntletpress.com is not working...
I have eaten too many easter eggs or It has some problem??

Randall Flagg
03-24-2008, 06:41 AM
I am on their site right now and it is working.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-24-2008, 06:43 AM
John, was I correct in assuming the $200 slipcase includes the Signed numbered 1/750?

The $200 is for the S/L numbered, slipcase and artwork.
The $150 is for the S/L numbered only.
The $25 is for the slipcase only.

jhanic
03-24-2008, 06:43 AM
I clicked the link you supplied and it's working for me too!

John

Randall Flagg
03-24-2008, 06:45 AM

The $200 is for the S/L numbered, slipcase and artwork.
The $150 is for the S/L numbered only.
The $25 is for the slipcase only.
I was so excited and nervous that I just ordered one of everything (actually not the Numbered only)

jhanic
03-24-2008, 06:46 AM
I only ordered the $200 item.

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-24-2008, 06:49 AM
How long should I wait before announcing this in the Official area?

I think its safe to announce it as Gauntlet has done it on their site.

Randall Flagg
03-24-2008, 06:51 AM
I just was hoping Patrick gets one. He loves Hill and King. I called and left him a VM.
I am going to hold off a few more minutes.

jhanic
03-24-2008, 06:52 AM
And maybe fsmdr and Tippy too.

John

Ari_Racing
03-24-2008, 06:55 AM
I've just ordered a S/L. :)

Did anyone has a book of this publisher? How are their editions and slipcases?

Thanks for the information!

Randall Flagg
03-24-2008, 06:55 AM
I ordered two of the Slipcase $200 books, so I have an extra (I want two, but just in case Patrick gets shut out, I have one for him.)

jhanic
03-24-2008, 06:56 AM
Ari, I have the s/l Gaunlet #2, and it's a very nice package. Nothing really special, but nice.

John

Randall Flagg
03-24-2008, 06:59 AM

I do not. Last week I ordered the S/L Life in the Cinema, and expect it any day. After I ordered, I received an e-mail from the gentlemen thanking me for being on the mailing list, and to be on the lookout for an "announcement" about King.
I e-mailed back my speculation that it would either be Just After Sunset, or the King Hill collaboration.
That is when he said he could only say it was "one or the other"

Ari_Racing
03-24-2008, 07:00 AM
And since they'll charge me in January...I've just ordered a S/L with slipcase. :)

Ari_Racing
03-24-2008, 07:03 AM
Are our orders confirmed already or we're on hold yet? I don't understand why it isn't sold out yet

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-24-2008, 07:06 AM
We have all been quick to order, so we may be the first lot.

jhanic
03-24-2008, 07:13 AM
The publisher, Barry Hoffman, told me (after I had ordered the s/l Cinema also last week) that he would be putting out a newsletter announcing the new book. I have not yet received this newsletter, though.

John

jhanic
03-24-2008, 07:14 AM
I agree, we're probably among the first that have heard of this and acted on the information. Don't forget, there ARE 750 copies!

John

Matt
03-24-2008, 07:14 AM
Got my copy! I just got the numbered though.

Randall Flagg
03-24-2008, 07:17 AM
Same here. I found out about the upcoming work last week (and was asked not to mention it) but had no indication WHEN it would be announced.

John

Close reading of many threads might have revealed your secret.:thumbsup:

Justin Case
03-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Thanx for the heads up... I always like Gauntlet. For the most part their books have been A- OK and Barry is always up to something special. Got mine - this is VERY cool!!

BTW, what did most people order - the limited (w or w/o slipcases) or the lettered? LOVE the fact that they're signing both!!!! Whoo Hoo!!

Matt
03-24-2008, 07:29 AM
I ordered the 150.00 version because I'm a cold, scared child. :lol:

Rahfa
03-24-2008, 07:29 AM
Ordered the s/l w/slipcase...I can live without Matheson's signature...

Has everyone recieved an email confirmation? I got the confirmation page, but no email yet...just wondering what other buying experiences there were...

Matt
03-24-2008, 07:30 AM
I got the confirm email :rock:

Ari_Racing
03-24-2008, 07:33 AM
I received confirmation mail inmediately.
I ordered two. One S/L of 150 and the other S/L 200 (with slipcase). :)

artan
03-24-2008, 07:41 AM
I am on their site right now and it is working.

I clicked the link you supplied and it's working for me too!

John

I had DNS problems on my PC...I ordered my S/L with slipcase now!! :cool:
I received confirmation mail immediately, too.

Thanks a lot to everybody for the information!
:grouphug:

Rahfa
03-24-2008, 07:50 AM
Hmmm....I tried to order another copy, and on both orders I got a confirmation page with an invoice number, but with some odd jumbled text and NO confirmation email...

I emailed them to let them know I had a problem...or maybe it went through, and I'm being paranoid!

I told them I heard about it here...give us a plug...

Sir_Boomme
03-24-2008, 07:59 AM
i hate to rain on everyone's parade...but....

take note guys and gals when i ordered mine this morning...
immediately after ordering mine, i got a "confirmation" of my order email.

however... pulling on past experiences... i sent a follow-up email to the publisher right after i got the confirmation of my order email, asking him to verify i had gotten the limited and lettered copies reserved in time.

he emailed back and said that my order was received and noted, but that they were snowballed with orders and that they wouldn't have it sorted out until much later today or tomorrow.

so... just because the order was confirmed, doesn't mean we all will actually get the book. it appears to me they are taking all orders, will fill what they have books for, and put the rest of the people on the waiting list.

so the books may very well have been sold out even before i got my order in. won't find out until tomorrow probably.
he said he will be sending out emails at that time to verify whether or not we really did get the orders in on time to get the books.

Clacke
03-24-2008, 08:02 AM
I ordered a s/n with slipcase. Would have loved to get a lettered but considering they take the money in January 2009, I'd be scared for my credit card after the xmas period. :scared:

Matt
03-24-2008, 08:10 AM

however... pulling on past experiences... i sent a follow-up email to the publisher right after i got the confirmation of my order email, asking him to verify i had gotten the limited and lettered copies reserved in time.

he emailed back and said that my order was received and noted, but that they were snowballed with orders and that they wouldn't have it sorted out until much later today or tomorrow.

so... just because the order was confirmed, doesn't mean we all will actually get the book. it appears to me they are taking all orders, will fill what they have books for, and put the rest of the people on the waiting list.

so the books may very well have been sold out even before i got my order in. won't find out until tomorrow probably.
he said he will be sending out emails at that time to verify whether or not we really did get the orders in on time to get the books.

Thanks for the heads up on this, I sure hope they all get in.

Cutter
03-24-2008, 08:11 AM

Well I hope I got it, because I didn't just order it, until now.

a s/n $200 edition

And I am too on the newsletter, as I own a lot of Gauntlet books, and I haven't received it yet. So hopefully we all should be ok, as there's been no official announcement for the book yet.

Ari_Racing
03-24-2008, 08:18 AM
I hope we all receive confirmation.
I have an issue...my credit card expires in January 2009. I'll have to update the info with the renewed one if Gauntlet wants to charge it once it's expired. :(
I don't want to miss this book :(

Sir_Boomme
03-24-2008, 08:28 AM
I have an issue...my credit card expires in January 2009. I'll have to update the info with the renewed one if Gauntlet wants to charge it once it's expired. :(

yeah... mine expires in sept., but plan to immediately send gauntlet the new replacement # at that time.

Randall Flagg
03-24-2008, 08:32 AM
It seems odd they wouldn't have been able to limit the number of orders so that if sold out, they item would indicate so.
I guess if they have more than 52 lettered ordered they will fill the first 52 who ordered and anyone else will be denied.
Same for the 1/750.

Sir_Boomme
03-24-2008, 08:46 AM
It seems odd they wouldn't have been able to limit the number of orders so that if sold out, they item would indicate so.
I guess if they have more than 52 lettered ordered they will fill the first 52 who ordered and anyone else will be denied.
Same for the 1/750.

i assume the surplus people will be placed on a waiting list, since there is some time between now and when the payments will be charged... and people's minds change, financial statuses change, priorities change, wives find out, and some people even die (a happening often associated with their wifes finding out)...
this helps guarantee the publisher doesn't get stuck with canceled orders and they don't have to go looking very far for a new buyer.

Matt
03-24-2008, 08:47 AM
So when will we know if we actually got it? Do they send an follow up email?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-24-2008, 09:00 AM
wives find out, and some people even die (a happening often associated with their wifes finding out)...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

carlosdetweiller
03-24-2008, 09:01 AM
And I am too on the newsletter, as I own a lot of Gauntlet books, and I haven't received it yet. So hopefully we all should be ok, as there's been no official announcement for the book yet.

I got an e-mail announcement last night about 7:30PM. I had been away for the weekend, had just gotten home and was checking my e-mail about 7:35PM so it had just been sent.

Placed my order immediately and got a quick automated response. The formal confirmation was waiting for me when I got up this morning.

So, I think the e-mail announcing the book was done last night and if you are on Gauntlet's mailing list you should have already received it.

Justin Case
03-24-2008, 09:08 AM
PLUS (some more inside info... :) )

F. Paul Wilson has written a sequel to "The Distributor"; Joe Lansdale a sequel to "Prey." Whitley Strieber has given us an original novella inspired by Matheson's stories in general, while Richard Christian Matheson has penned a short tale inspired by "Legion of Plotters." John Shirley has created a sequel to "Somewhere in Time," while Mick Garris has offered a prequel to "I Am Legend." Lots more, too--Gary A. Braunbeck, William F. Nolan, John Maclay, Michael Arnzen, Thomas F. Monteleone, Barry Hoffman--and one or two surprises still to be announced!

jhanic
03-24-2008, 09:08 AM
I got an almost immediate confirmation email. Because there are 750 s/n copies, I'm sure I'm okay, but those who ordered the 52 lettered copies should verify ASAP.

John

Fsmdr
03-24-2008, 09:21 AM
I ordered the Lettered and the $200 edition.

By chance I was up late last night with family. Logged in before going to bed at 2:00 am and saw the newsletter. Wohoo!!. Good idea about verifying the order. I'll send them email now.

Nerak
03-24-2008, 09:48 AM
all I have to say is I better get one!!

Or one of y'all is selling me your extra copy!!!!!

I'll put in a personalization by Joe if you do!!!

Dr. Dawg
03-24-2008, 09:57 AM
Just got the message at 10:30 California time (at work) and placed the order late for the S/N $200 version. I hope it goes through!

Zack

jhanic
03-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Dr. Dawg, which edition did you order?

John

Clacke
03-24-2008, 10:04 AM
What's cool is that the guys are doing their take on 'Duel', which is my favourite Matheson short story, and also one of the best suspense movies ever, directed by Spielberg from Mathesons' own screenplay. Can't wait to see what they do with it.:)

Rahfa
03-24-2008, 10:18 AM

That's not an issue...it said somewhere that they'll be checking in with people prior to charging cards...obviously, you won't be the only one in that situation.

I don't have a good feelling about getting one...between no email confirm and them being overloaded with orders, I'm not sure I like my chances...oh well, but I'll live!

Cloysterpete
03-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Just ordered the $200 edition, hope it goes through as it'll be my first S/L book.

Cloysterpete
03-24-2008, 10:24 AM
I didn't get any email confirmation either, then I looked in my spam box and it was sitting in there.

Matt
03-24-2008, 10:30 AM
Good luck Cloysterpete, I hope we all get it.

Bev Vincent
03-24-2008, 10:38 AM
My e-mail confirmation ended up in a gmail spam mailbox, too.

Dr. Dawg
03-24-2008, 10:51 AM
Dr. Dawg, which edition did you order?

John

The $200 S/N + special slipcase... I also had to dig the confirmation out of my bulk folder. I thought I was doing OK with that until reading about the uncertainty here. Hopefully we'll see by tonight!

jemaher
03-24-2008, 11:12 AM
The gauntlet server was overwhelmed, so i ended up calling Barry and ordering one over the phone. thanks so much for the heads up!

Cutter
03-24-2008, 12:24 PM

I got an e-mail announcement last night about 7:30PM. I had been away for the weekend, had just gotten home and was checking my e-mail about 7:35PM so it had just been sent.

Placed my order immediately and got a quick automated response. The formal confirmation was waiting for me when I got up this morning.

So, I think the e-mail announcing the book was done last night and if you are on Gauntlet's mailing list you should have already received it.

I'm actually pretty mad if this is the case, Bob. I always get email notifications, and I own at least 10 of their books and always buy a Bradbury Lettered. Heck, maybe I just missed it.

shnnrc01
03-24-2008, 12:33 PM
i got my confirmation in the Bulk folder also.phew!

Calla_Wolf
03-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Got my lettered and numbered - I guess I still have residues of the King collecting bug in my system :)

Matt
03-24-2008, 02:01 PM
:nana:

Congrats Ceri

on the bug and the acquisition.

jemaher
03-24-2008, 02:03 PM

I have a number of gauntlet press books and they do a commendable job

Rahfa
03-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Got this reply, so it looks like I (and probably all of us) am all set:

"I've been out most of the day and have to go out shortly again. I'll be processing orders tonight and Tuesday. I'll make sure to process just one of yours and cancel the other. Since we're not charging credit cards until January 1, 2009 it's not something to worry about now. I'll get back to you later and the confirmation you receive will have my name on it as it is below. That will be the official one.

Best,
Barry Hoffman
Gauntlet Press"

Matt
03-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Woohoo! I can't wait to get mine. :rock:

Wifes response to me buying it...."holy shit, here we go" :lol:

Ari_Racing
03-24-2008, 03:28 PM
I also received a personal e-mail about the CC expiration. :) I hope my order is good :)

Scoogs
03-24-2008, 04:00 PM
Crap, I knew I should have looked at my email while I was at work today.

This sounds like a cool project and I like Matheson, so I just went ahead and ordered the $200 slipcased version.

Randall Flagg
03-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Received this personal response to my inquiry, two hours ago (3:15 PDT):

Don't worry. You'll get the book. Either tonight or tomorrow you will get a confirmation with my name on it. While we have many, many orders we're not sold out so you'll get what you desire. Just bear with me as I have loads of orders to process.

I hope this applies to not only my S/L , but Lettered order. I am sure he will do the best and most fair thing he can-IE the first 52 people to order the lettered get One each, then it is a waiting list.
As for the 1/750 it seems I am, as well as others should be ok.

tippy4
03-24-2008, 04:21 PM
And maybe fsmdr and Tippy too.

John

Yup!

Got mine!

I went for the $200 slipcase.

carlosdetweiller
03-24-2008, 04:58 PM

I'm actually pretty mad if this is the case, Bob. I always get email notifications, and I own at least 10 of their books and always buy a Bradbury Lettered. Heck, maybe I just missed it.

Geoff, maybe, like some others, it was filtered as spam. Mine came as the usual "Gauntlet Biweekly E-list Newsletter" and was delivered to my inbox at 7:26PM.

Sir_Boomme
03-24-2008, 05:06 PM
ok... so from Rahfa's response... looks like we all may be good on the #'d edition.

on the lettered.... so far i see from this site thread alone, these 7 people ordered one...

carlosdetweiller (i'm assuming that you got one of each)
Fsmdr
wizard
mr rabbit
boomme
RF
calla_wolf

the above list is in chronological order of how they appeared in this thread (or when they stated they ordered)

anyone else?

52 copies, 7 people so far - but who knows how many not from this site... but received the newsletter and ordered one. i wonder how many copies were reseved by "special" customers. stephen 1? joe 1? matheson 1?
conion,wilson,lansdale, strieber, nolan, baunbeck, monteleone,shirley, campbell and how many other authors... do ya think they each will get a complimentary lettered copy?
if each author only gets one...it could knock the amount of lettereds available to the public down a bit...
let's hope there are "author copies" to be printed, huh?

i hate waiting in the dark.:ninja:

Randall Flagg
03-24-2008, 05:25 PM
I am "willing" (resigned) to get what I get. I ordered and expext a Lettered, but the numbered still has the sigs I want.
Life goes on.

Nerak
03-24-2008, 05:57 PM
mmm, wonder if they do arc?!?!?!?!

midnightrambler34
03-24-2008, 06:17 PM
ok... so from Rahfa's response... looks like we all may be good on the #'d edition.

on the lettered.... so far i see from this site thread alone, these 7 people ordered one...

carlosdetweiller (i'm assuming that you got one of each)
Fsmdr
wizard
mr rabbit
boomme
RF
calla_wolf

the above list is in chronological order of how they appeared in this thread (or when they stated they ordered)

anyone else?

52 copies, 7 people so far - but who knows how many not from this site... but received the newsletter and ordered one. i wonder how many copies were reseved by "special" customers. stephen 1? joe 1? matheson 1?
conion,wilson,lansdale, strieber, nolan, baunbeck, monteleone,shirley, campbell and how many other authors... do ya think they each will get a complimentary lettered copy?
if each author only gets one...it could knock the amount of lettereds available to the public down a bit...
let's hope there are "author copies" to be printed, huh?

i hate waiting in the dark.:ninja:

I ordered a lettered and a s/n...we'll see.:orely:

Rahfa
03-24-2008, 07:21 PM
I don't think 7 out of 52 is that many...and they will surely have author's copies of the lettereds too...

I think this is a cool lettered to buy, but many collectors (like myself) really don't care so much for Matheson's sign...I think anyone here who wanted a lettered will get a lettered.

Pasiuk57
03-24-2008, 07:32 PM
I ordered a lettered and signed numbered and got a confirmation from Barry himself stating my order was approved and verified.

Randall Flagg
03-24-2008, 07:46 PM
Not sure when you ordered, but congratulations.
BTW, what a breath of freah air for a publisher to take an order, but wait till (one assumes), very close to delivery to actually charge someone.

Fsmdr
03-24-2008, 09:30 PM
I ordered a lettered and signed numbered and got a confirmation from Barry himself stating my order was approved and verified.

What time did you place your order, if I may ask?

Patrick
03-24-2008, 09:34 PM
I just was hoping Patrick gets one. He loves Hill and King. I called and left him a VM.
I am going to hold off a few more minutes.
I ordered two of the Slipcase $200 books, so I have an extra (I want two, but just in case Patrick gets shut out, I have one for him.)
Jerome, I really appreciate the phone call. I don't know why my phone didn't show that I had a message, but I didn't see it until about noon (my phone said you had called around 8am, but didn't show a "message" in the morning). Anyway, I ordered two of the $200 S/L. I'd be happy with one, but who knows if I'll get any. If not, I'll happily take you up on your very generous offer. Thanks again, Jerome. :couple:

I'm on the Gauntlet email list at work and happened to take this morning off, so I didn't see the official email announcement until almost 2pm today - the email appeared to arrive Sunday night a bit before 7pm. When I registered this purchase I used my personal email. I have no idea whether I received a receipt since I cleaned out my gmail spam box with hardly a glance before reading this thread.

We shall see. In any case, kudos to Gauntlet for NOT charging credit cards for another nine months. :clap:

[All times mentioned are Pacific Daylight Time.]

shnnrc01
03-25-2008, 01:28 AM
i ordered a lettered edition this morning and got the confirmation e-mail.i think (and hope) i got the #'d edition ordered in plenty of time.but ill have to wait and see about the lettered i suppose.ill try giving barry an e-mail to see if i get an official yay or nay.

Brice
03-25-2008, 03:50 AM
Can I safely assume that if I got an invoice that I got the book I ordered???

goheat
03-25-2008, 04:18 AM

I hope so, because I just ordered the $150 S/L version this am, and got a confirmation email. I didn't get my Gauntlet Press Newsletter email until 10:45pm last night, and just read it early this morning! I think we'll be ok, since there are 750 copies of this version. :unsure:

Brice
03-25-2008, 04:36 AM
Well, if so I have a lettered waiting for me. :)

Cutter
03-25-2008, 05:01 AM

I hope so, because I just ordered the $150 S/L version this am, and got a confirmation email. I didn't get my Gauntlet Press Newsletter email until 10:45pm last night, and just read it early this morning! I think we'll be ok, since there are 750 copies of this version. :unsure:

Yep that's when I got my email, last night and it was titled "test". I don't know if I got the original email or not. It's possible I might have deleted it.

btw, I think you guys are talking about the automated response (at least Brice and goheat), we all got that, as after you order from the site you get sent the automated receipt. I think we are all waiting for a secondary email confirming that our order placed was approved.

Still with RF's post i think we are all ok, and they probably are not sold out yet. But I assume that'll happen soon.

Brice
03-25-2008, 05:12 AM
Well, thanks for the info man.

*nervously hopes*

Ari_Racing
03-25-2008, 05:17 AM
I received personal confirmation already :)

Brice
03-25-2008, 05:41 AM
I've received nothing beyond the invoice as of now.

wizardsrainbow
03-25-2008, 05:41 AM
I have not yet received personal confirmation. I placed my order at 6:23am and got a standard e-mail confirm immediately, but nothing personalized yet.

Sir_Boomme
03-25-2008, 05:47 AM
I have not yet received personal confirmation. I placed my order at 6:23am and got a standard e-mail confirm immediately, but nothing personalized yet.

same here...

jhanic
03-25-2008, 05:49 AM

And same here. But since I only ordered the $200 edition, I'm not concerned.

John

Rahfa
03-25-2008, 05:54 AM
Got this in the AM...this is for the #'d edition...so I' sure anyone who ordered that is all set!

"Thank you for your order. Our Stephen King elist newsletter will keep you updated on the status of your book and remind you that your card will be charged the first week in January 2009. As you instructed the other order has been canceled. You will be charged for just ONE book in January"

wizardsrainbow
03-25-2008, 07:22 AM
This just in my e-mail from Barry:

I've been working on orders and I still have 400. I'll process them in the next few days so please be patient.

Best,
Barry Hoffman
Gauntlet Press

goheat
03-25-2008, 07:25 AM

Yep that's when I got my email, last night and it was titled "test". I don't know if I got the original email or not. It's possible I might have deleted it.

btw, I think you guys are talking about the automated response (at least Brice and goheat), we all got that, as after you order from the site you get sent the automated receipt. I think we are all waiting for a secondary email confirming that our order placed was approved.

Still with RF's post i think we are all ok, and they probably are not sold out yet. But I assume that'll happen soon.

Yes, my email had TEST in front of it, but I'm pretty sure this was the first and only email from Gauntlet this week.

Let's all think positive thoughts so we all get our copies! :nana: (It's Peanut Butter-Jelly Time!)

Brice
03-25-2008, 07:26 AM
Well, I just ordered a $200 numbered too in case I don't get the lettered. Hopefully, I'll at least get one of them.

jhanic
03-25-2008, 07:37 AM
I wonder how many of the $200 slipcased versions will be issued. There's a total of 750 copies divided between those slipcased and those without, for $150. I guess it'll depend on the number of orders of each.

John

goheat
03-25-2008, 07:38 AM
This just in my e-mail from Barry:

I've been working on orders and I still have 400. I'll process them in the next few days so please be patient.

Best,
Barry Hoffman
Gauntlet Press

Cool, especially if he means that he still has 400 left after the orders he's processed so far...:evil:

herbertwest
03-25-2008, 07:40 AM
no "simple" edition i guess?

I'd just want to read the story... erf

Brice
03-25-2008, 07:43 AM
So far, the cheapest version is the $150.

Randall Flagg
03-25-2008, 08:11 AM
no "simple" edition i guess?

I'd just want to read the story... erf
www.Joehillfiction.com (http://www.Joehillfiction.com) said this:

That said, I’m also sensitive to and sympathetic with folks who just want to read the story without going broke. There is a plan in the works to make sure a wide-release version of “Throttle” will be available for everyone who wants it; because nothing is nailed down yet, I can’t say more than that. But at some point after the release of the Matheson anthology, that wide-release edition will get out there, so stay tuned.
This entry was posted on Monday, March

nyy3723a
03-25-2008, 08:13 AM
I just placed my order for the $200 version! Hopefully I'll get it!

Patrick
03-25-2008, 08:24 AM
I wonder how many of the $200 slipcased versions will be issued. There's a total of 750 copies divided between those slipcased and those without, for $150. I guess it'll depend on the number of orders of each.

John

John, I'll bet you are correct. Given the lead time to prepare, the 750 will be probably be split into three groups based on number of each ordered:
1) S/L without slipcase $150
2) S/L with slipcase-without-art $175 ($150 + $25)
3) S/L with slipcase-with-art $200

That's assuming I read the listing correctly, of course, which is always a dubious assumption. :lol:

jhanic
03-25-2008, 08:29 AM
I read it the same way. I also noticed that all the orders for those with the slipcase have to be in by November 1. I'll bet that it sells out before then.

John

Sir_Boomme
03-25-2008, 08:31 AM

John

John, I'll bet you are correct. Given the lead time to prepare, the 750 will be probably be split into three groups based on number of each ordered:

That's assuming I read the listing correctly, of course, which is always a dubious assumption. :lol:

so in reality, according to the # of orders taken for each... the 175.00 version could be rarer than the 200.00 version.... hmmmm, that'd be interesting

Patrick
03-25-2008, 08:34 AM

John

so in reality, according to the # of orders taken for each... the 175.00 version could be rarer than the 200.00 version.... hmmmm, that'd be interesting
Good point. So buy a $200 version and a $25 slipcase. Then you'll have all three states but have only purchased one book.

:lol:

Fsmdr
03-25-2008, 08:35 AM
I got my confirmation from Barry for my Lettered and numbered last night.

Patrick
03-25-2008, 08:39 AM
Congrats, Juliana. :dance:

jhanic
03-25-2008, 08:43 AM
Congratulations from me too!

John

Fsmdr
03-25-2008, 08:51 AM
Thanks. So I think everyone here who ordered the lettered are confirmed?

Randall Flagg
03-25-2008, 09:52 AM
I am not sure.
I sent an inquiry yesterday, and he said my order was fine, but he didn't say "Yes you have a lettered and a numbered".

Matt
03-25-2008, 09:54 AM
I have only received the automated response on mine.

Patrick
03-25-2008, 09:56 AM
I haven't received the "official" (second?) confirmation either, but I only ordered S/Ls, not Lettered.

Bev Vincent
03-25-2008, 10:12 AM
I ordered the S/L yesterday morning and received the auto-confirmation shortly thereafter, though it went to my SPAM mailbox.

A few minutes ago I received official confirmation from Barry, so he's still working his way through the orders.

Sir_Boomme
03-25-2008, 10:20 AM

nope 1:20 pm texas time... and not confirmed here.:cry:

wizardsrainbow
03-25-2008, 11:37 AM

Nope, not yet and mine was ordered at 6:23am East Coast time

Pasiuk57
03-25-2008, 12:08 PM
I got my "official" reply from Barry at March 25 at 00.43 CST.
His words. Thaks you for yuor order. Our Stephen King elist newsletter will keep you updated on the status of yuor book and remind you that your card will be charged on the first week of January 1009. Yes, you will get all the editions yuor requested. This is your official confirmation.
Best
Barry Hoffman
Gauntlet Press

He said he had 350+ orders so it will take some time to get back to everyone.

This is what I know so far.

Mike

Clacke
03-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Ordered a signed numbered with slipcase yesterday morning and received official confirmation about an hour ago.

jhanic
03-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Geez, I STILL don't have an official confirmation. I wonder if I should email Barry or what.

John

Patrick
03-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Geez, I STILL don't have an official confirmation. I wonder if I should email Barry or what.

John
I don't want to bother him while he's sorting through it all, but I'm thinking the same thing...

Matt
03-25-2008, 01:14 PM
**whimper**

^thats me without mine :lol:

BigCoffinHunter
03-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Hey guys, BigCoffinHunter here (Low Men in Yellow Coats from DT.Net). Haven't been on here in quite a while. Busy with work and what not. Wiz, nice to see those collecting guns of fury are getting a workout :-P

Anyways, Barry from Gauntlet called me a little while ago. He was out of town most of the day yesterday on business and has been crawling through all of the orders. He's got a lot to go through, so please, be patient. E-mails and calls will probably just slow him down.

I placed my order for a Lettered and a Numbered at 11:30 am central time on Monday morning and both books were still available. So, just do a little math, if you ordered before then or shortly thereafter, you're fine.

For those of you who ordered the numbered, roughly 400 orders have come in, so don't worry, you're totally fine. The Lettered may already be sold out, he just hasn't been able to go through every single order yet so it will just depend on when he gets to yours. Barry's going to try to reserve all of the copies for direct customers for a variety of reasons, the top one being that he wants to be able to finance future Richard Matheson books with the proceeds. Mr. Matheson has indicated that at 81 years old, his hand hurts and he just can't manage to sign as many books as he used to. Barry's hoping that the funds from "He is Legend" help subsidize making limited editions of books that Mr. Matheson may no longer be able to sign.

Also, please note that although there is no "limit" to how many you can purchase, well, I hate to be crude, but don't be an asshole about it. He said that one individual attempted to purchase 75 copies of the numbered edition. It's blatantly obvious that someone like that would only do so hoping to sell them on E-Bay, and while an order of two or perhaps three might be honored, something like 75 is just ridiculous...

Matt
03-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the update BCH :thumbsup:

Patrick
03-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Yes, thanks for the update. Now I feel good about my self-control and holding off from emailing him. :lol:

Yeah, 75 copies in one order certainly conveys transparent intentions. At that point, I would think someone would have the sense (manners?) to simply contact him separately to discuss such an arrangement.

BigCoffinHunter
03-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Also, to clarify the matter regarding copies intended for artists and authors and other publishers and whatnot. It's been my finding that many of the smaller publishers who deal in Stephen King have an unwritten rule where they all send eachother free copies of both the regular and Lettered editions of their books. These books are never the actual numbered or Lettered copies though, just Publisher's Copies. In most cases, someone like King is just going to get an "Author's Copy" or a "Presentation Copy." Personally, I bought my Publisher's Copy of "From a Buick 8" years ago from a publisher who told me that that's how he got his. It's hard to tell how many such copies there are though. As far as I can tell, no one ever keeps a real record of it. But worry not, 99% of the time, copies with actual Letters and numbers are reserved for retail and sometimes wholesale.

Randall Flagg
03-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Nice to see you Big Coffin-aka Low men.
I thoroughly agree that a polite collector would want others to receive copies and a self imposed limit of 1 lettered and perhaps 3 numbered (max) is both thoughful of and helpful to other collectors. Particularly the first day. If after a day or two books are still available, hey help the publisher out and order more.
Thanks for the insighful update, and please drop in more often.

RF

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-25-2008, 03:34 PM
Just received my confirmation from Barry at Gauntlet for 1 x Lettered & 1 x Numbered. Phew!

Nerak
03-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Also, to clarify the matter regarding copies intended for artists and authors and other publishers and whatnot. It's been my finding that many of the smaller publishers who deal in Stephen King have an unwritten rule where they all send eachother free copies of both the regular and Lettered editions of their books. These books are never the actual numbered or Lettered copies though, just Publisher's Copies. In most cases, someone like King is just going to get an "Author's Copy" or a "Presentation Copy." Personally, I bought my Publisher's Copy of "From a Buick 8" years ago from a publisher who told me that that's how he got his. It's hard to tell how many such copies there are though. As far as I can tell, no one ever keeps a real record of it. But worry not, 99% of the time, copies with actual Letters and numbers are reserved for retail and sometimes wholesale.

mmm I want one!! :( I work for a small publisher... :cry:

Randall Flagg
03-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Work for does not mean you ARE the small publisher.
I am sure Robert gets his fair share.:arg:

Scoogs
03-25-2008, 06:11 PM
Wow, the SciFi channels website posted a press release about the book today. That's a little bit wider exposure than usual.

jhanic
03-25-2008, 06:19 PM
That's not a real big surprise. Richard Matheson is one of the "grandfathers" of Science Fiction. A tribute to him on the SciFi channel wouldn't be unusual.

John

wizardsrainbow
03-26-2008, 02:13 AM
My e-mail confirmation arrived after I left the office yesterday.

Brice
03-26-2008, 02:35 AM
Umm..in my nervousness about whether I got one (never having ordered a S/L before) I emailed him yesterday to inquire. He said I should recieve an email about it before the weekend was over. He did tell me I'd get at least the numbered edition. I sent a short email just saying thanks and it got an auto response saying he's away till the 29th. He must have set it so he wouldn't have to deal with more emails immediately. I feel bad that I added to him being swamped.

Clacke
03-26-2008, 02:45 AM
Umm..in my nervousness about whether I got one (never having ordered a S/L before) I emailed him yesterday to inquire. He said I should recieve an email about it before the weekend was over. He did tell me I'd get at least the numbered edition. I sent a short email just saying thanks and it got an auto response saying he's away till the 29th. He must have set it so he wouldn't have to deal with more emails immediately. I feel bad that I added to him being swamped.

Don't feel bad, Brice. He's more than likely gone to the World Horror Convention which starts tomorrow in Salt Lake City. Most of the small press publishers will be showing off their wares there over the next few days.:thumbsup:

Nerak
03-26-2008, 03:00 AM

I've actually never ssen anything come in from any small publishers...maybe cause Robert doesn't share...who knows...but I still want one!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

jhanic
03-26-2008, 03:35 AM
I got my official notice 2:13am.

John

super sam
03-26-2008, 04:34 AM
Placed my order at Date: 3/24/2008 Time: 12:59 pm EST.
1 Lim. and 1 Lettered ed., haven´t got any confirmation yet!

artan
03-26-2008, 05:00 AM
I Just received (this night italian time) my confirmation from Gauntlet for 1 S/L edition!! :onfire:
(My Invoice Date: 3/24/2008 Time: 10:19 am EST)

Here is the body of the message:
Thank you for your order. Our Stephen King elist newsletter will keep you updated on the status of your book and remind you that your card will be charged the first week in January 2009.

Best,
Barry Hoffman
Gauntlet Press

Cutter
03-26-2008, 05:12 AM
I actually ordered mine between Super Sam and Artan, around 11:30 on 3/24, and I still haven't got a conformation.

One thing of note, Gauntlet hasn't been taken down the order form on the web site. People are still able to order either edition, so that's encouraging.

Matt
03-26-2008, 05:29 AM
I Just received (this night italian time) my confirmation from Gauntlet for 1 S/L edition!! :onfire:
(My Invoice Date: 3/24/2008 Time: 10:19 am EST)

Here is the body of the message:
Thank you for your order. Our Stephen King elist newsletter will keep you updated on the status of your book and remind you that your card will be charged the first week in January 2009.

Best,
Barry Hoffman
Gauntlet Press

I have this in my inbox this morning too. :excited:

Randall Flagg
03-26-2008, 05:47 AM
I received official confirmation for the second order I placed, but not the first.:pullhair:
The first included a lettered, the second did not.
Who the hell knows now. I'll just wait and see.

Cutter
03-26-2008, 05:50 AM
Over on Horror Mall someone said the Gauntlet email address now has a vacation reply. So it looks like he got fed up with inquiries and stopped taking emails until he get’s caught up. So it looks like we are forced to wait and see.

e_taylor
03-26-2008, 06:07 AM
Got my confirmation for 1 s/l at 3:37 AM EST today, for an order placed at 7:37 EST on Monday.

BigCoffinHunter
03-26-2008, 07:26 AM

I've actually never ssen anything come in from any small publishers...maybe cause Robert doesn't share...who knows...but I still want one!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

I guess it would really depend on whether or not Robert plays the same sharing game with the others. The kind of collaboration I'm talking about would basically be like the head of PS Publishing (his name escapes me at the moment) and Richard Chizmar from Cemetery Dance sending each other every single copy, both Lettered and numbered of every single book that they publish. The individual I spoke with made it sound like between his own publishing company's books and copies he receives from other publishers he literally had an entire library devoted to it. Despite what most perceive as Cemetery Dance's slow release schedules when it comes to Stephen King, they do publish a hell of a lot of books every year, which I imagine combined with all the other publishers would really add up.

Sir_Boomme
03-26-2008, 07:32 AM
I received official confirmation for the second order I placed, but not the first.:pullhair:
The first included a lettered, the second did not.
Who the hell knows now. I'll just wait and see.

hey RF, looks like you ordered yours about 1 hour after i ordered mine.... i got the confirmation for my s/l and lettered this morning.

so either i got one of the last ones (which i doubt is the case).... or you'll probably be getting an e-mail soon.

Randall Flagg
03-26-2008, 07:43 AM
I ordered my lettered at 9:11 EST (BTW, are we not on daylight time?)
My second order was at 9:35 EST.

As stated I got the confirm on order #2, but not #1.
All I can do is wait and see.

Sir_Boomme
03-26-2008, 08:13 AM
I ordered my lettered at 9:11 EST (BTW, are we not on daylight time?)
My second order was at 9:35 EST.

As stated I got the confirm on order #2, but not #1.
All I can do is wait and see.

hmmm.... then i ordered mine approximately the same time, somewhere between 8 am and 8:15 am central -not sure of the exact time, i know i logged in at 8 am, but i don't know how long it took me to navigate to the DT site, read the notice, then navigate to the publisher site and complete my order.
so if my order went in before yours... it was a matter of mere minutes.
i'm sure you probably got one... unless your second order somehow accidentally canceled out your first order. might be worth calling/emailing to check on.

Patrick
03-26-2008, 10:57 AM
I ordered 2 S/Ls around 12:15ish PDT on Monday. No confirmation yet. :(

So far I'm still restraining myself from emailing him, a little easier now knowing he has a vacation auto-reply turned on.

shnnrc01
03-26-2008, 01:35 PM
had a lengthy phone conversation to Gauntlet a few minutes ago.he said they had now received over 500 orders for the king/hill limited.they had processed just over 100 of them.he knew by the records that i had ordered both #'d and lettered editions but couldnt confirm positively that i had secured a copy of each.it looks like that everyone who ordered a #'d edition is ok (judging by the just over 500 total orders-and that the #'d goes up to 750) but its the lettered edition is where things get hazy.he also said they would be working late every night and also saturday and sunday this week to try and complete all orders.so we will have to wait and see!!

Patrick
03-26-2008, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the update.

goheat
03-26-2008, 03:20 PM
had a lengthy phone conversation to Gauntlet a few minutes ago.he said they had now received over 500 orders for the king/hill limited.they had processed just over 100 of them.he knew by the records that i had ordered both #'d and lettered editions but couldnt confirm positively that i had secured a copy of each.it looks like that everyone who ordered a #'d edition is ok (judging by the just over 500 total orders-and that the #'d goes up to 750) but its the lettered edition is where things get hazy.he also said they would be working late every night and also saturday and sunday this week to try and complete all orders.so we will have to wait and see!!

Yes, thanks for the update! I ordered a S/L early yesterday am, so it sounds promising!

Cutter
03-27-2008, 05:21 AM
Finally, I got my conformation around 12:00 last night. Whoo Hoo!

Bev Vincent
03-27-2008, 09:49 AM
As posted on Shocklines: "Gauntlet has received over 600 orders for He Is Legend so far, and that they are processing them as quickly as possible--but it may take up to a week to get through all of them. If you've ordered a copy, please be patient. "

Patrick
03-27-2008, 01:06 PM
I understand they have a lot to go through, but as I ordered back on Monday around noon, I'm getting a bit anxious at having no confirmation yet.

Patrick
03-27-2008, 11:59 PM
:rock: Patience pays off. This just in:

Thank you for your order. Our Stephen King elist newsletter will keep you updated on the status of your book and remind you that your card will be charged the first week in January 2009. You will need to provide a new expiration date for your credit card as we are not charging until January 2009.

Best,
Barry Hoffman
Gauntlet Press

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-27-2008, 11:59 PM
Now you can relax patrick.

Clacke
03-28-2008, 04:12 AM
I'm not sure if this is a worrying development for those who ordered lettered editions, but somebody on the Horror-mall forums posted an email reply from Gauntlet in answer to a payment query. In the reply though, was reference to a lottery for the lettereds, which is a new development in the situation. Below is the post:

I have just had a reply to my order from Barry at Gauntlet which I have posted below and the good news is that they take credit card for us buyers overseas.

The other interesting part of the email is the comments made regarding the lettered edition:

"We take Visa/MasterCard from anywhere in the world. We DON'T take PayPal. As to your order we have 90 orders (so far) for the lettered so we'll have to conduct a lotterry when all have been processed. Since you've also ordered the numbered you're guaranteed that book. You will be informed (as soon as all orders are processed -- I have 500 in my inbox and have processed 150 before that) of the results of the lottery when all orders have been processed."

Brice
03-28-2008, 04:19 AM
While I don't think a lottery is a bad idea. I think this really could (and should) have been stated openly before orders were placed. Not having done that I feel they should have gone by whoever ordered first (even though I may have missed out that way too).

carlosdetweiller
03-28-2008, 04:34 AM
That lottery business is weird. According to the Gauntlet website you can still order the lettered edition. What is he planning to do? Wait until he has 300 orders for the lettered edition before he cuts off the ordering and has the lottery? If he sends out confirmatory e-mails to the 300 (or whatever) who ordered lettered editions and then sends out "So Sorry!" e-mails to the 250 who didn't "win" the lottery he will have created a great deal of ill feelings toward his press. He really needs to stop accepting orders for a book that is already sold out.

Brice
03-28-2008, 04:40 AM
I'm just guessing here, but maybe (hopefully) he is just doing the lottery from the emails he's already sifting through. :unsure:

I sincerely hope they honor those orders they've ALREADY confirmed at least.

jhanic
03-28-2008, 05:34 AM
I wonder if he expected the number of responses he's received. Don't forget that the slipcased edition must be ordered before November!

John

Cutter
03-28-2008, 06:46 AM
I agree the lottery is a bad idea. Why should someone who was the first person to order a Lettered Edition have to be put into a lottery with someone who ordered 4 days later? I just think people will be more understanding if they get an email back saying, sorry the lettered Edition has sold out, but they'll get ticked off if they are in a lottery and don't get a copy and they ordered on the day it went on sale. It just seems like you'll anger more people with the lottery.

but I will say none of the Gauntlet books sell out this fast. The Lettered Editions for Bradbury take a month at least to sell out, or if they're more expensive they are still for sale. So he's probably unprepared for this onslaught of orders.

Randall Flagg
03-28-2008, 07:28 AM
So, has anyone here received confirmation on an order for a Lettered?

Rahfa
03-28-2008, 08:09 AM
I dunno...I'm in the minority here, but would you be THAT disappointed if you didn't get a lettered?

With Matheson being the only additional sig, this will not be an investment property for the long term...in fact, it could easily go the way of Quietly Now, and sell for less than issue (though I think that was $750 issue price).

I think for King/Hill fans the numbered is the way to go, and leave it that.

But...who am I kidding...I know the completists won't be satisfied without it on their shelves! For them, I completely understand the desire...

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-28-2008, 08:12 AM

Me.

midnightrambler34
03-28-2008, 06:16 PM

Me.

Me too.

Randall Flagg
03-28-2008, 06:35 PM
I suppose I should have also asked what time your automatic confirmation (not the official e-mail) time stamped your order.

Sir_Boomme
03-28-2008, 10:23 PM
"We take Visa/MasterCard from anywhere in the world. We DON'T take PayPal. As to your order we have 90 orders (so far) for the lettered so we'll have to conduct a lotterry when all have been processed. Since you've also ordered the numbered you're guaranteed that book. You will be informed (as soon as all orders are processed -- I have 500 in my inbox and have processed 150 before that) of the results of the lottery when all orders have been processed."

i'm sorry, but this is NOT the way to do it...
if this is trully the case... it stinks almost as bad as the simon and schuster TGWLTG limited ed. popup fiasco.... ie. the one limited i will NEVER add to my collection - even if someone gave it to me (and i'll never order another limited from S&S in this lifetime)

bottom line... the first that ordered the lettered...needs to be the ones that get the lettered. and i state that with the knowledge that i may NOT have been one of the ones to be first. i could live with that and only kick myself in the butt for not being faster on the draw.... but...
this lottery thing would turn me off on Gauntlet forever...
it's very very unprofessional to:
1) accept orders for books that can't be delivered
2) to send out verification emails and not honor them

and then... change the rules and have a lottery????
- WOW! talk about unprofessional.

just like simon and schuster's multiple price raising of TGWLTG limited... testing the market to see what it will pay might be fine for individuals on ebay... but an established publishing company doing it was the most unprofessional behaviour i have ever been witness to.

barry really needs to rethink this.... he's looking like an RANK amateur.
rank as in P.U.

Brice
03-29-2008, 02:16 AM
I agree personally...although I'll still buy if I get the chance. My chances of getting one if it were done on a first come first served basis are slim since I didn't get my order through till roughly 3PM EST and I'd be very disappointed if I'm right about that, but the only right way to do this IS to give them to those who ordered first. This is wrong on Gauntlet's part.

Clacke
03-29-2008, 02:38 AM
From Horror-Mall forums, clarification from Gauntlet in reply to a query confirming the lottery:

The following is copied from an e-mail I sent Barry earlier today. The lottery is for ALL copies of the lettered edition:

Question from me: Just out of curiosity, why have a lottery instead of just filling the first 52 orders that came in for the Lettered?

The response from Barry:

I spoke to a number of publishers before going the lottery route. The problem with first-come, first-served is that word spread through a number of different websites, bulletin board, and of course, word-of-mouth. Word began spreading Monday morning and many people were at work. So, a first-come, first-served wouldn't have been fair, in my view. Best, Barry

I can see Barry's point concerning people finding out at different times and timezone problems, but he could have saved himself a lot of pain by mentioning upfront on the order page that a lottery was to take place for the lettereds

Nerak
03-29-2008, 03:35 AM
I finally got a confirmation of my order!!! woo hoo!!!!

I agree about the lottery being not fair. It should have been on a fc/fs basis!

But that's just my opinion!

I got a numbered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! woo hoo :rock:

goheat
03-29-2008, 05:35 AM
Got my confirmation for the S/L too!

Sir_Boomme
03-29-2008, 08:34 AM
ok rahfa (see below)... i'm now taking a step back... i'll try to tone down my rants from now on.... but my opinion remains the same....
having a bad day and shouldn't push it off on everyone else.

super sam
03-29-2008, 09:23 AM
I´m not at home this weekend so´i´m reading this thread at the hotels computer, standing in the lounge..

But is it right that EVERY lettered order (though confirmed order) will be in a lottery?

Brice
03-29-2008, 09:25 AM
No, not really. At the very least those that were told they were getting one should.

Randall Flagg
03-29-2008, 09:34 AM
I´m not at home this weekend so´i´m reading this thread at the hotels computer, standing in the lounge..

But is it right that EVERY lettered order (though confirmed order) will be in a lottery?
Right now it is very unclear.
The only person i am aware of here who has received a Lettered confirmation is Mr. Rabbit Tick.
The rest of the information is coming fast and furious, but since Gauntlet isn't answering e-mails, nothing is truly confirmed.

midnightrambler34
03-29-2008, 01:36 PM
This what my email states:

Best,
Barry Hoffman
Gauntlet Press

So, am I to understand that I am getting one? The other thing is, I recieved my confirmation 4 days after I placed the order, so does that put me lower on the list? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Rahfa
03-29-2008, 01:52 PM
I'm sorry, but all these posts here really remind you of the problem of blogs and message boards...a lot of people spreading rumors that build upon rumors and spread confusion and mininformation...

Nobody knows what Gauntlet is or isn't doing, because they haven't actually confirmed anything. All these rumors are based on posts to other message boards or emails or basically everything except first-hand information.

Nobody's credit card's been charged, the book's not coming out for six months, Gauntlet has been in business for a long time. One way or the other it will work out.

Let's take a step back, let him officially tell people what the situation is THEN decide to get annoyed or not. There's always time to be upset, there's no reason to rush to it.

midnightrambler34
03-29-2008, 01:56 PM
I'm sorry, but all these posts here really remind you of the problem of blogs and message boards...a lot of people spreading rumors that build upon rumors and spread confusion and mininformation...

Nobody knows what Gauntlet is or isn't doing, because they haven't actually confirmed anything. All these rumors are based on posts to other message boards or emails or basically everything except first-hand information.

Nobody's credit card's been charged, the book's not coming out for six months, Gauntlet has been in business for a long time. One way or the other it will work out.

Let's take a step back, let him officially tell people what the situation is THEN decide to get annoyed or not. There's always time to be upset, there's no reason to rush to it.

Ok, you can now officially get annoyed. This was posted on the Horror Mall forums:

Did you receive a confirmation signed by me (as below) saying that your copy was confirmed? The server generates an automatic order, but that is not a confirmation. I've checked my orders and (1) I have at least 90 for the lettered (with others I have net to even check -- I have 400+ orders in my inbox even after processing 200) and (2) yours wasn't among the first 52. So, a lottery works out best for you. If it were by first-come, first-served you wouldn't get one. I don't believe in first-come, first-served in this case as the announcement went out in numerous newsletter and bulletin boards and most of the orders prior to yours were during the workday Monday. That kind of hurts those who worked Monday and didn't hear about the announcement until they got home. So, a lottery to me sounds fairest. It won't take place for at least a week. If you, in the interim, want to order a copy of the other edition, to guarantee yourself a copy, I suggest you do so. In the Comment's section mention "Cancel if I get a lettered edition through the lottery." It's up to you. Barry Hoffman Gauntlet Press (this is how I sign MY confirmations which are different from the server)

Rahfa
03-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Ok, you can now officially get annoyed. This was posted on the Horror Mall forums:

Haha....point taken...but, I still think people are taking this a bit too seriously...I mean, it's just a book with a Matheson signture! Order the normal s/l and be done with it...haha...

Randall Flagg
03-29-2008, 02:43 PM

Haha....point taken...but, I still think people are taking this a bit too seriously...I mean, it's just a book with a Matheson signture! Order the normal s/l and be done with it...haha...

You are entitled to feel people are taking this too seriously, and the individuals who are upset are entitled to be upset.
I have to agree with Sir_Boomme, in that this is a crappy way to do business.
SO WHAT if you have several hundred orders to process-isn't that the idea. Now get to work and process them.
Seemingly to decide somewhere mid-process to take far more orders than what is/will be available is likely to result in upsetting people. If you have only 52 of something-why take orders for days after that number is exceeded.
Sure the ordering began on Monday-I suppose people are at work-perhaps being a book publisher shields you to the reallity that people at work not only have internet access-they use it. That's why traffic is HIGHER during the M-F 8-5 time period, but the e-mail came out Sunday afternoon/evening.
Additionally, as happy as I am for the one member here who is confirmed-How many others are confirmed, thus lowering the number available in a lottery?

Really just shabby in my opinion.

Cutter
03-29-2008, 03:07 PM
That's why traffic is HIGHER during the M-F 8-5 time period, but the e-mail came out Sunday afternoon/evening.

I think this is another thing that screwed it up. I'm pretty confident I did not receive the Sunday newsletter, I got one on Monday or Tuesday night, labeled as test. I've been buying Gauntlet books since probably 2000 and I'm on the email list that gets updated monthly, at least. I think this was the first screw up, that his newsletter did not get out to everybody on Sunday, which would have made it fair for people in the east and west coast time zones.

jhanic
03-29-2008, 03:40 PM
I NEVER got the newsletter. I got the information from here on this site. Of course, that didn't affect me because I didn't order a lettered edition. If I had, I think I'd have been upset too.

John

Nerak
03-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Jerome, we welcome your business.

I may not have been in this business very long, but I know that when a company says we are selling this book and there's only 52, I would think it would be a first come first serve basis, unless other wise stated prior to the sale.

I think it's unfair to those who did get their orders in first. But that's just my opinion.

Ari_Racing
03-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Why don't you all sign a petition requesting that you think it's not fair since you were expecting and stop doing other things in order to get one of the lettereds?

Who knows...maybe you get a good answer! :)

Just a thought.

Rahfa
03-29-2008, 04:58 PM
That's why traffic is HIGHER during the M-F 8-5 time period, but the e-mail came out Sunday afternoon/evening.

I think this is another thing that screwed it up. I'm pretty confident I did not receive the Sunday newsletter, I got one on Monday or Tuesday night, labeled as test. I've been buying Gauntlet books since probably 2000 and I'm on the email list that gets updated monthly, at least. I think this was the first screw up, that his newsletter did not get out to everybody on Sunday, which would have made it fair for people in the east and west coast time zones.

Yeah, so if the newsletter got screwed up, then it's their best customers who got screwed over and didn't have a chance to order.

I completely agree this is a lame way to do business...he either gets complaints from all the people on his newsletter list who didn't get informed, or he gets complaints from everyone who ordered in good faith. Can't win.

Rahfa
03-29-2008, 05:05 PM
ok rahfa (see below)... i'm now taking a step back... i'll try to tone down my rants from now on.... but my opinion remains the same....
having a bad day and shouldn't push it off on everyone else.

I totally saw your point, believe me...I just don't think it's worth getting aggravated over, but that's just me...screw them, don't order from them again - or just order books you want, and don't give them business for books you were on the fence about.

The thing is, had he just started with a lottery, it would have been fine...nobody would have begruged him that. I mean, with 150 orders (let's say), it's still a 1-in-3 chance of winning...

e_taylor
03-30-2008, 05:40 AM
I think the demand was underestimated, and once overwhelmed, Barry tried to find the best solution, which he feels is the lottery. Better pre-planning, such as have a set date and time for the pre-orders to begin, which is outlined in an email a week before would have been best, that way everyone on both sides of the country can plan in advance and hope to be one of the first 52.

Mind you, I didnt care to pay an extra $300 for Matheson's signature, of which I already have plenty in books he actually wrote!

Just my two cents - I'd be pissed too, but keep in mind everyone's human and prone to screw up once in a while.

Brice
03-30-2008, 02:55 PM
My latest email:

Yes, we have at least 90 who want the lettered (many who ordered last Monday). Because the announcement went out (on some websites) early Monday morning while others were at work I don't feel it fair to provide these on a first-come, first-served basis. This seems the fairest way and we will conduct the lottery on or about May 1. As soon as my website manager returns from a trip we will indicate that edition is sold out so we don't get any additional orders (it's been almost a week and that seems fair).

Best,
Barry

Randall Flagg
03-30-2008, 03:55 PM
So, if he has a lottery for ~52 books, with ~90 requests, the odds are ~50-50.
It really has been a bit of a mess. Hopefully half the people are happy.

Brice
03-30-2008, 04:32 PM
It probably won't be just 90.

Yes, you're one of the 90. To be fair until my website manager returns to town and put the SOLD OUT sign up I can't deny anyone who orders being part of the lottery.

Barry

Patrick
03-30-2008, 08:49 PM
(I didn't go for a lettered, only the S/L.)

If he's going to do a lottery, personally I think he should cut it off at the 24-, 36- or 48-hour mark. At least give the people who are on the ball a decent chance. Also that would cut down on the issue of, after the lottery is announced, people entering all their family and friends separately in order to increase their odds of getting a book.

Brice
03-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Anyone who orders before his website manager returns from their trip and puts up that it's sold out can do just that.

Patrick
03-30-2008, 09:10 PM

If he's going to do a lottery, personally I think he should cut it off at the 24-, 36- or 48-hour mark. At least give the people who are on the ball a decent chance. Also that would cut down on the issue of, after the lottery is announced, people entering all their family and friends separately in order to increase their odds of getting a book.
Anyone who orders before his website manager returns from their trip and puts up that it's sold out can do just that.My point exactly.

Plus now that I know there is such a huge demand, maybe I should enter myself in the drawing. Then if I get a book that I didn't really want and never had any intention of ordering, I can sell it for a nice profit!

I won't do that, but you see my points about announcing a lottery after the fact but not closing off the orders at the time of the lottery announcement. It potentially makes it even worse for those of you who were timely and legitimate in your orders.

Rahfa
03-31-2008, 02:40 AM
But if he doesn't have a lottery, then the people who benefit are full-time speculators whose job it is to sit at computers and order books, rather than a real fan/collector who works at a job and doesn't have the time. I'm sure plenty of the first 50 orders were those people, not collectors like are here.

The unfairness here is to the people who orderded in good faith and found out the rules changed after the fact...but the lottery system is, overall, somewhat more fair to all collectors.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-31-2008, 03:00 AM
But if he doesn't have a lottery, then the people who benefit are full-time speculators whose job it is to sit at computers and order books, rather than a real fan/collector who works at a job and doesn't have the time. I'm sure plenty of the first 50 orders were those people, not collectors like are here.

The unfairness here is to the people who orderded in good faith and found out the rules changed after the fact...but the lottery system is, overall, somewhat more fair to all collectors.

I'm a "real fan/collector" who works at a job. Only, my job allows me to sit at a computer all day ordering books.

Does this mean I'm more entitled to get one than anybody else?

I received a dated and numbered sales invoice from Barry Hoffman on 25 March confirming my order. I have not had anything else from them which would indicate a lottery.

He has accepted my sale at the terms and conditions which applied at the time of the recorded sale. If he tries to change the terms and conditions without my acceptance, he will be open to legal challenge.

Brice
03-31-2008, 05:45 AM
Actually, I think you're right about that. An invoice does kind of imply an accepted sale (contract?) IMO.

Ari_Racing
03-31-2008, 06:00 AM
But on the other hand the publisher didn't charge a single Credit card....

Randall Flagg
03-31-2008, 06:07 AM
Well one thing is for sure. People are still talking about it.:onfire:

Nerak
03-31-2008, 06:43 AM
are you talking about the thing showing your order at the end of the ordering process or the email that he sent?

The email says thank you for your order, not that it's been processed or excepted. Just a publishers point of view...

goheat
03-31-2008, 07:39 AM

Anyone who orders before his website manager returns from their trip and puts up that it's sold out can do just that.My point exactly.

Plus now that I know there is such a huge demand, maybe I should enter myself in the drawing. Then if I get a book that I didn't really want and never had any intention of ordering, I can sell it for a nice profit!

I won't do that, but you see my points about announcing a lottery after the fact but not closing off the orders at the time of the lottery announcement. It potentially makes it even worse for those of you who were timely and legitimate in your orders.

Good post, Patrick! I only ordered the S/L as well, but if I wanted to be speculative, I could throw my order in for the $500 one now and have just as much of a chance as those who were quick enough to order early. I think that would be wrong, though (at least to me).

Also, I'm not sure I buy Gauntlet's argument about some people not being given a 'fair chance' to order the lettered edition on the first day it went on sale: true collectors, I believe, have ways of finding these things out (this awesome board, for example :thumbsup:). Thus doing a lottery, especially since the lettered edition wasn't announced as such initially, is the unfair part, I think...

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-31-2008, 08:08 AM
are you talking about the thing showing your order at the end of the ordering process or the email that he sent?

The email says thank you for your order, not that it's been processed or excepted. Just a publishers point of view...

Its certainly not 'processed' as the book is not even started yet. ;)

Rahfa
03-31-2008, 08:34 AM

I'm a "real fan/collector" who works at a job. Only, my job allows me to sit at a computer all day ordering books.

Does this mean I'm more entitled to get one than anybody else?

I received a dated and numbered sales invoice from Barry Hoffman on 25 March confirming my order. I have not had anything else from them which would indicate a lottery.

He has accepted my sale at the terms and conditions which applied at the time of the recorded sale. If he tries to change the terms and conditions without my acceptance, he will be open to legal challenge.

Nobody's entitled to get the book at all until he takes the money. What if you accidentally typed the credit card wrong, it didn't process, and he didn't try to get another one from you? Would that be right? Wrong? It's his perogative to run the business any way he wants. If he wants to run it in a lame fashion like this, then it's the repeat business he loses.

You recieved an email stating he got your order and confirmed your intention to place an order. He said he would update you along the way. He hasn't charged your credit card or taken your money. He doesn't owe you a plug nickel.

I guess you could argue it's some kind of contract, though my confirmation for the #'d edition was not that specific. But by all means, sue. Maybe you'll drive him out of business and the book will never exist at all.

Nerak
03-31-2008, 08:38 AM

Its certainly not 'processed' as the book is not even started yet. ;)

I am saying processed as in the way CD does business, take your money and make you wait 5 years....

Nerak
03-31-2008, 08:42 AM
I guess you could argue it's some kind of contract, though my confirmation for the #'d edition was not that specific. But by all means, sue. Maybe you'll drive him out of business and the book will never exist at all.

I don't think that they are talking about getting that extreme, Nathan, but they are upset about the way it was presented.

I see both sides of the argument. But as someone working in the publishing profession, I, myself, don't think it was very professional of him to change the way it was being sold after it was posted for sale. If Barry wanted to do a lottery in the first place, these people would have had the option to enter or not. But by placing an order, it what seemed like a timely fashion, they believed that their order was going to mean a book, not an entry into a lottery.

We don't need to talk about lawsuits. No one is going to go crazy.

Come on over to the office and I'll give you a hug! :-D

Rahfa
03-31-2008, 09:29 AM

I don't think that they are talking about getting that extreme, Nathan, but they are upset about the way it was presented.

I see both sides of the argument. But as someone working in the publishing profession, I, myself, don't think it was very professional of him to change the way it was being sold after it was posted for sale. If Barry wanted to do a lottery in the first place, these people would have had the option to enter or not. But by placing an order, it what seemed like a timely fashion, they believed that their order was going to mean a book, not an entry into a lottery.

We don't need to talk about lawsuits. No one is going to go crazy.

Come on over to the office and I'll give you a hug! :-D

Haha...no, I'm fine with it - I didn't order the lettered!

I totally agree, this is just a blunder by this publisher...I'm sure Barry thinks doing the right thing, but he should have thought of that beforehand. I honestly don't know why he'd make more work for himself anyway. The orders have a timestamp so he can tell when they arrived, and he wants to sell the books...what does he care who actually gets them?

Had he just had the lottery in private, then emailed people and said "sorry, my system took too many orders, blah blah" people would have been upset, but probably understood....but now he creates a controversey where there wasn't one before.

But...let's remember all the times people complained - myself included - like when the Haven Store software kept crashing when we had signed books in the shopping cart...or when Cemetery Dance couldn't handle traffic during the Buick 8 onsale. So most everyone here has had an experience where technology stymied them, and a lottery would have been a benefit.

There's two sides to this in my opinion...which does change the unprofessionalism of the process...but I think it's certainly forgivable.

carlosdetweiller
03-31-2008, 02:34 PM

This is about where I stand. I ordered a numbered and lettered copy of the book Sunday 23 March at 7:38 PM. After the immediate automatic confirmation I got the official confirmation from Barry with invoice later Sunday night (still on 3/23) at 10:58 PM.

I checked my e-mail fortuitously within minutes of the announcing e-mail being sent and ordered immediately. I am sure I was one of the first to order and receive confirmation.

I'll be pretty bummed if I end up in a lottery.

carlosdetweiller
03-31-2008, 02:37 PM
I'm just catching up with this thread and have just read the post from the Horror Mall forum. It sounds like confirmed orders are OK. If you don't have a confirmed order you will be in a lottery. I'm not sure but that is how I read Barry's reply.

Randall Flagg
03-31-2008, 09:20 PM
I just had a lengthy (over 45 minutes) phone conversation with Barry Hoffman-owner of Gauntlet Press, publisher of 'He Is Legend'-which includes the Stephen King-Joe Hill collaborative novella "Throttle".
Barry was kind enough to answer questions about the work, in particular concerns regarding orders for the lettered edition.
To the best of my knowledge here are the relevant points:

Contractually he is limited to 52 lettered editions.
Due to confusion and or trouble with the announcement, he feels the fairest way to sell the lettered editions is by lottery.
Barry is a man of his word, and as such, 6 people received his "Official personalized confirmation", prior to him realizing that not only would demand overwhelm supply, but that there might be trouble with how the announcement was distributed.
Therefore there are 46 Lettered copies which will be sold by lottery. The official cutoff date for orders was 11:59 PM EDT March 31, 2008. Barry estimates there were approximately 90 orders for the book as of our conversation. Lottery entries will be limited to one per person.
The lottery will be conducted on or before May 1, 2008, with an official announcement forthcoming.
Any person who combined a request for numbered/slipcased/slipcase only book with an order for a Lettered edition (prior to 3/31/2008 ) will definitely receive their numbered/slipcased/slipcase only order. If they are not happy they can of course rescind their order.
He asked that people check the website-he expects hs web designer to begin updates on or around 4/03/08.
He is very customer oriented, and is regretful that he has not lived up to his commitment to respond to each and every inquiry within 48 hours.
Customers with concerns about payment by check-credit card expiration date etc. should be aware the book will not be charged until 2009. Issues regarding checks/CC expiration can and will be resolved once this initial furor has subsided.He gave permission for me to post this with the hopes that people will be patient and understanding. He seems to be a wonderful person, and as someone stated so perfectly earlier (Rahfa I believe)
by all means, sue. Maybe you'll drive him out of business and the book will never exist at all.
I don't think that is any collectors intention.
Please withhold sending him any e-mails that are of a non urgent matter until after his site has an official update. He still reads them, but it slows the whole process down.

Nerak
03-31-2008, 09:26 PM
good man, Jerome. glad you talked to him. Hope you are feeling better about all this.

Randall Flagg
03-31-2008, 09:32 PM
I feel much better after speaking to him
Full disclosure:
I am in the lottery, so no strings were pulled by my speaking to him.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-31-2008, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the update RF.

Patrick
04-01-2008, 01:01 AM
Thanks for having that conversation and providing the update, Jerome.

I'm happy to hear that he is at least going to honor the "official" confirmations that he had sent out.

carlosdetweiller
04-01-2008, 04:18 AM
Thanks for having that conversation and providing the update, Jerome.

I'm happy to hear that he is at least going to honor the "official" confirmations that he had sent out.

I'm happy to hear that too. Of course, as stated in the other thread by RF I think, the chances in the lottery are pretty good. And it is the type of book that probably will not skyrocket on the secondary market. Anyone who really wants one will probably be able to get one without paying too much of a premium.

wizardsrainbow
04-01-2008, 06:46 AM
I wonder if this qualifies me as one of the 6 with a true confirmation. This is a second e-mail I received (the first one was the standard one issued immeduiately after placing the order. This one came later:

Re: Gauntlet, Inc. Order - 111625156 - Williamson
Gauntlet66@aol.com

Best,
Barry Hoffman
Gauntlet Press

Then it lists my invoice number, shipping address etc.

carlosdetweiller
04-01-2008, 06:49 AM
I wonder if this qualifies me as one of the 6 with a true confirmation.

Yes, I think so.

Cutter
04-01-2008, 08:08 AM
I wonder if this qualifies me as one of the 6 with a true confirmation.

Yes, I think so.

That's the conformation I got for the Limited Edition about 4 days after the initial order. I think you're ok.

And thanks for sharing your view on him. I was starting to get depressed with the anger. I’ve been buying from him for years, and love the work he’s done with Bradbury. I personally have had a great relationship with him.

tippy4
04-01-2008, 08:14 AM
As a person who did not order the lettered...I don't really have a stake in the situation.

However, I would be pretty upset if I ordered a lettered early in the day and then found out that I was going to go into a lottery.

The website should have been set up to stop taking orders after the 52nd book had been reserved. I assume by the end of the day, they all had, and it would not have taken much to post it on their website and email anyone who placed an order for one after the 52nd copy had been ordered.

In fact, in looking at their website now, it still shows that I can order the lettered! If I do, will I be placed in the lottery?!?!?! That seems very unfair to those who ordered days ago!

Randall Flagg
04-01-2008, 08:38 AM
In fact, in looking at their website now, it still shows that I can order the lettered! If I do, will I be placed in the lottery?!?!?! That seems very unfair to those who ordered days ago!

I have a thread here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=2532) that clarifies that. the answer is that his webmaster returns in a day or so, and will close the ordering option, but that the cutoof was actually 11:59 PM EDT 3/31/08.

goheat
04-01-2008, 11:59 AM

I have a thread here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=2532) that clarifies that. the answer is that his webmaster returns in a day or so, and will close the ordering option, but that the cutoof was actually 11:59 PM EDT 3/31/08.

The site is now updated to show the Lettered edition as sold out, with a Waiting List option, along with the explanation of the lottery!

Randall Flagg
04-01-2008, 12:32 PM
I think it is time to start rejoicing in the fact that not only is a brand new King story-novella in the pipeline, but it's a S/L-AND Joe Hill is involved!
Hallelujah.

NeedfulKings
04-01-2008, 12:49 PM
I took the plunge and ordered a #'d edition.

I do hope they come up with another way for fans to get ahold of this story. There will, after all, only be about 800 copies in circulation. There are far more SK/Hill fans out there!!!

On a side note, Duel has always been a favorite movie of mine. One of Spielberg's early works. I can't wait to see how Joe and Steve take a spin on it!

Randall Flagg
04-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Joe Hill has already stated that after the S/L comes out the story will be available in a less expensive format. He was not specific as to the timeline, but seemed certain it would happen.

I know, however, that this book is too expensive for a lot of people who just want to read the story. Some also have wondered why I keep doing these pricey editions with small presses. The story on that one is that without the small presses I wouldn’t have a career. PS Publishing took my collection when everyone else turned it down; Subterranean Press took a chance on my novella “Voluntary Committal,” knowing nothing about me except that they liked my writing; Richard Chizmar at CD has been a longtime compadre. These guys do great books, and they do them out of love. As expensive as their editions can be, it’s rare for any of these guys to break even, but they keep publishing the writers they care about, not because it’s profitable, but because they can’t help themselves. When they get excited about a book, a writer, a story, they want to get it out in the world, in a classy edition.
That said, I’m also sensitive to and sympathetic with folks who just want to read the story without going broke. There is a plan in the works to make sure a wide-release version of “Throttle” will be available for everyone who wants it; because nothing is nailed down yet, I can’t say more than that. But at some point after the release of the Matheson anthology, that wide-release edition will get out there, so stay tuned.

NeedfulKings
04-01-2008, 06:30 PM
I totally see his take on small press. Hell, half of my collection is small press stuff. It's often fresh and exciting.

I think Gauntlet could make a small mint if the slapped together some trade paperbacks and sold them for $15 or $20 apiece. That's just me thinking, though!

RF, I meant to say that I think it's great that you contacted them in regards to the lettered edition. I hope all the folks here get one!!!

Randall Flagg
04-02-2008, 06:13 AM
I received my notice I am in the lottery.
Will cross fingers.

Randall Flagg
04-02-2008, 06:14 AM
I am going to merge this with book announcement thread, but will leave a short redirect.

Brice
04-02-2008, 06:23 AM
Please, let me just say that my comment:
Actually, I think you're right about that. An invoice does kind of imply an accepted sale (contract?) IMO.

earlier in the thread was not intended to mean I would sue even if I could. I was

1.just stating an opinion

2. doing so while I was irritated and disappointed

In retrospect perhaps I shouldn't have said that.

Brice
04-02-2008, 06:24 AM

I received my notice I am in the lottery.
Will cross fingers.

I also recieved mine. I'll cross my fingers for all of us.

jhanic
04-02-2008, 08:24 AM
I've got my fingers crossed for all you who are in the lottery!

John