PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Langhan

Mattrick
03-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Not sure if anyone has heard of her yet. This past christmas I wanted to sample some new tastes and picked up her novel The Missing. It's a very macabre piece, in which it's characters inner turmoils tangle with the strange sickness that came from the woods.

There is a very poetic approach to the narration and the style woks nicely for the subject materials. Many of the novels characters are sick, ill and dying of hurts from past wounds yet they continue to make appearances. They have family dinner, teach the 3rd grade class and get paid to analyze others. Each chapter is told from a different characters view, delving into their thoughts. Some characters were introduced to in the characters thoughts and are described a certain way but a few chapters later, when that character has the spotlight you see their humanity and you almost pity them and feel sorry for them.

The plot is about the 3rd Grade teacher who takes their students to nearby forest outside of a town that burned to the ground. Some say the place was poisoned etc. When one of the children uncover something dark and evil, the infection spreads across the Maine town of Corpus Christi and soon those infected become something that is not quite human.

Her firstbook, The Keeper, I've not read but will look into. I recommend this book to those that enjoy horror/macabre stories.

Heather19
03-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Sounds very interesting. I had never heard of her before. I'll have to add to my to read list.

mia/susannah
03-16-2008, 06:17 PM
have never heard of her. But the book sounds very interesting. I will have to get the book and read it. Thanks

Mattrick
03-17-2008, 03:59 AM
First book I've ever read written by a woman lol

Jean
03-17-2008, 05:20 AM
Wow. No Jane Austen? Not even Agatha Christie? Or Pamela Travers when you were a kid?

::deeply impressed::

Bev Vincent
03-17-2008, 05:37 AM
Sarah (http://www.sarahlangan.com/) is a good friend of mine and an excellent, excellent writer. Her story Afterlife is the featured (and free) story this month at Horror World (http://www.horrorworld.org/fiction.htm). Her first book is very good, her second one is even better.

Mattrick
03-17-2008, 06:40 AM
Well, tell her Mattrick is a fan of hers. I can't wait until I'm finished my school so I can finish my horror novel lol.

Bev Vincent
03-30-2008, 07:36 AM
Sarah's second novel, The Missing (Virus in the UK) won the Stoker Award for superior achievement in a novel last night.