PDA

View Full Version : Best Western Movie Ever

John Blaze
03-13-2008, 02:51 PM
Well, I figured wtf? It's time we discussed western movies.

If you're not a fan of westerns, you are missing out.

My favorites, in order.

1. Tombstone
2. The Outlaw Josey Wales
3. Unforgiven
4. Young Guns
5. Quick and the Dead
6. Open Range
7. Broken Trail
8. Quigley Down Under
9. Monte Walsh: The Last Cowboy
10. Winchester '73

Anyone else here a western fan? Join the conversation.

John Blaze
03-13-2008, 03:20 PM
can one of you mods add this poll? My wife walked in, i got distracted for a few minutes (:D) and then i was over my 3 minute limit.

Míchéal
03-13-2008, 03:20 PM

My favorites, in order.

1. Tombstone
3. Unforgiven
4. Young Guns
5. Quick and the Dead
6. Open Range
7. Broken Trail
8. Quigley Down Under
10. Winchester '73

I've fallen in love with westerns the past 6 months, unfortunately i'm only starting to build a collection, there's many i havn't seen. :(

John Blaze
03-13-2008, 03:29 PM
How's this. Take my top ten list, try to find them in your local videostore, and rent them.

You will enjoy them.

Míchéal
03-13-2008, 03:31 PM
Are they all serious westerns? I hate stupid pisstakes. I saw Unforgiven a few days ago, amazing!

John Blaze
03-13-2008, 03:39 PM
what are pisstakes?

Some others i like but didn't make my top ten include The Man From Snowy River, and it's sequels, which are actually australian westerns.

You might enjoy those also.

Míchéal
03-13-2008, 03:41 PM
pisstakes are spoofs

John Blaze
03-13-2008, 03:45 PM
of course not. All my westerns are manly movies. :P

Míchéal
03-13-2008, 03:47 PM
booyeah...what did you think of High Plains Drifter?

John Blaze
03-13-2008, 03:57 PM
awesome! i love that movie. also one of my favorites. Have you seen Hang Em High?

Míchéal
03-13-2008, 04:01 PM
no, :( this is what i mean,i only started recently,before then,for some reason i'd never watch a western.

One thing about High Plains Drifter, did you notice the town (Lago)looks like it was built yesterday? it's so dumb, they didn't even try to age it.Major flaw i imo,but the only flaw.

Wuducynn
03-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Tombstone is my favorite, followed closely by Pale Rider and then the Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Míchéal
03-13-2008, 04:09 PM
I love TGTBTU, and Fistful and Few More...

John Blaze
03-13-2008, 04:10 PM
clint eastwood just rocks.

Míchéal
03-13-2008, 04:11 PM
clint eastwood just rocks.
YAR!!!!:shoot: :cowboy: :shoot:

Wuducynn
03-13-2008, 04:12 PM
So does Kurt Russell :harrier: Snake Plissken mother fucker!

John Blaze
03-13-2008, 04:23 PM
does anyone know anything about Metal Gear Solid? It's not a western, but I heard Sam Elliot is going to be Revolver Ocelot.

Míchéal
03-13-2008, 04:25 PM
There's gonna be a MGS movie?

cozener
03-13-2008, 04:47 PM
In no particular order...

The Outlaw Josey Wales
Unforgiven
The Tracker
High Plains Drifter
Good Bad and the Ugly
Rio Lobo
Fist Full of Dollars
True Grit
For a Few Dollars More
Quick and the Dead
Tombstone
Wyatt Earp
The Alamo
Pale Rider
The White Bufalo
Hidalgo (I think this counts as a Western...maybe)
Rio Bravo
Ravenous (actually I think this is a horror movie but its set in the Old West)
Dances With Wolves

You didn't say I had to limit it to ten...I figured 19 is a good place to stop, considering where I am :) I was actually surprised when I realized just how many Westerns I liked.

Ruthful
03-13-2008, 05:47 PM
Edited for verity.

1. The Proposition
2. " " " "
3. " " " "
4. " " " "
5. " " " "
6. " " " "
7. " " " "
8. " " " "
9. " " " "
10. " " " "

Also, Dances with Wolves-with the exception of that scene where Kevin Costner's commanding officer pisses on him-is gay as hell. Little Big Man kicks that movie's ass so hard it's not even funny.

Telynn
03-13-2008, 06:34 PM
A tie between True Grit and The Cowboys

Randall Flagg
03-13-2008, 06:55 PM
can one of you mods add this poll? My wife walked in, i got distracted for a few minutes (:D) and then i was over my 3 minute limit.
Don't agree with your selections, nor actor poll in a "Best Western" movie ever thread, but you asked, amd you shall receive.

ATG
03-13-2008, 07:12 PM
I cannot believe your poll did not include the sacred GBU trilogy that inspired the DT.

Shame.

John Blaze
03-13-2008, 07:38 PM

The Outlaw Josey Wales
Unforgiven
The Tracker
High Plains Drifter
Good Bad and the Ugly
Rio Lobo
Fist Full of Dollars
True Grit
For a Few Dollars More
Quick and the Dead
Tombstone
Wyatt Earp
The Alamo
Pale Rider
The White Bufalo
Rio Bravo
Dances With Wolves

You didn't say I had to limit it to ten...I figured 19 is a good place to stop, considering where I am :) I was actually surprised when I realized just how many Westerns I liked.

Oh, there is no requirement for you to even make a list. This is mostly a western movie fan thread.

I can't believe I didn't mention Dances with Wolves. I love this movie.

John Blaze
03-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Don't agree with your selections, nor actor poll in a "Best Western" movie ever thread, but you asked, amd you shall receive.

Well, they are some of my favorites. If I mentioned every western I like, we'd be here all day. There's alot more. But what I'm trying to do is incite conversation, which is why I posted MY favorites, and you post YOUR favorites, and we discuss. :)

For the Poll, i had alot in mind, but i felt like I had to narrow it down.

It's more like a, "out of THESE four, who did you think did best?" kind of poll. k?

blackrose22
03-13-2008, 07:43 PM
These aren't in any particular order.

Rio Bravo
Rooster Cogburn
The Cowboys
The Sons of Katie Elder (my fave John Wayne film with Rio Bravo a close 2nd)
The Searchers
True Grit
The Unforgiven (my fave Western of all time)
Hang Em High
The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
The Outlaw Josey Wales
High Plains Drifter
A Fistful of Dollars
For a few Dollars More
The Magnificent Seven
That's all at the moment that i can recall.

John Blaze
03-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Also, Dances with Wolves-with the exception of that scene where Kevin Costner's commanding officer pisses on him-is gay as hell.

your face :P

blackrose22
03-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Can't believe I forgot Pale Rider.

devo133
03-13-2008, 08:08 PM
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is the Western of all Westerns. Every western that came after is pretty much a copy of this film. I can't believe no one mentioned it yet! You're not a western fan until you've seen it. It pretty much stamped Eastwood's name in Westerns. The final showdown ahhh! omg! The music is amazing and so distinctive, it's been parodied over and over. I hate to spoil it for those who haven't seen it but here's the final scene

YouTube - The Good The Bad and the Ugly Finale

I forgot to mention... Quentin Tarantino regards it as the best film ever made. Which is what all there needs to be said :thumbsup:

Still Servant
03-13-2008, 08:28 PM
JohnBlaze you wanker. You beat me to it.:P

I was just thinking tonight that I should start a thread about westerns.

Well, I have loved the western genre since I was a kid. One of the first western films I ever remember watching with my dad is still one of my favorites today.

I have not seen anybody mention it yet, which doesn't surprise me because it often goes forgotten.

The film - Silverado.

It's such a sold western and doesn't get enough attention.

Favorite scene from a western - Outlaw Josey Wales

"You a bounty hunter?"

"Man's gotta make a livin'."

"Dying ain't much of a livin' boy."

Telynn
03-13-2008, 08:41 PM
I don't know if this counts as a western, but I always liked Jeremiah Johnson.

Armand St Pierre
03-13-2008, 09:04 PM
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/MG/167549~Blazing-Saddles-Posters.jpg

Mattrick
03-13-2008, 11:24 PM

My favorites, in order.

1. Tombstone
3. Unforgiven
4. Young Guns
5. Quick and the Dead
6. Open Range
7. Broken Trail
8. Quigley Down Under
10. Winchester '73

I've seen none of those. Only westerns I've seen all of are Hang Em High and 3:10 To Yuma remake.

Ruthful
03-14-2008, 01:22 AM
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/MG/167549~Blazing-Saddles-Posters.jpg

:thumbsup:

And why no love for The Proposition?

That film is the ultimate Western. Plus, it's scored by Nick Cave!

You don't get more awesome than that.

John Blaze
03-14-2008, 05:52 AM
I forgot to mention... Quentin Tarantino regards it as the best film ever made. Which is what all there needs to be said :thumbsup:

Although in this case i may agree with him, Tarantino is an idiot.

cozener
03-14-2008, 05:54 AM

The Outlaw Josey Wales
Unforgiven
The Tracker
High Plains Drifter
Good Bad and the Ugly
Rio Lobo
Fist Full of Dollars
True Grit
For a Few Dollars More
Quick and the Dead
Tombstone
Wyatt Earp
The Alamo
Pale Rider
The White Bufalo
Rio Bravo
Dances With Wolves

Oh, there is no requirement for you to even make a list. This is mostly a western movie fan thread.

I can't believe I didn't mention Dances with Wolves. I love this movie.

And I can't believe I didn't mention Little Big Man. That flick rocked.

Storyslinger
03-14-2008, 05:56 AM
Any Eastwood film and Johnny Wayne.

Also 3:10 to Yuma

ManOfWesternesse
03-14-2008, 06:11 AM
Grew up on westerns. In our house The Duke was bigger than God.
Cut my reading teeth on westerns too - my Grandad's old Louis L'Amour books! I still have 50-60 L'Amours on the Bookshelf for occasional re-reading.

Best 'modern' Western writer = Thomas Eidson (St Agnes' Stand / The Last Ride). Movie 'The Missing' was based on The Last Ride.

Voted above fro Lonesome Dove - they were all good - but that had a lot of 'realism' I think.

John Blaze
03-14-2008, 06:12 AM
Dude, I'm a huge westerns fan but I can't stand John Wayne. That's not a true western. That's why Leone made GBU, he wanted to show the west as it really was, not some sunshine, let's sing around the campfire bullshit.

On the other side, let me just say I forgot The 3 Amigos. I loved this movie in Kindergarden, and I love it now. It's an awesome movie. :D

ManOfWesternesse
03-14-2008, 06:36 AM
.....I can't stand John Wayne. That's not a true western....
Oh, I never said they were true JB, just that I grew up on them - and don't ever tell my old man something negative like that about The Duke - he's liable to reach for the shotgun.... :lol:

The 'American West' is a long & highly romanticised ..... 'genre' for want of a term. I'm sure the 'true reality' of that life was vastly different from 90% or more of the 'Westerns' ever produced.

cozener
03-14-2008, 06:53 AM
I think of Westerns as a subgenre...under Action/Adventure.

John Blaze
03-14-2008, 07:02 AM
if I ever do say something, I'll make sure I'm standing behind you :P

Hey, if the Duke is your cup of tea, that's fine. I'm just saying I don't like his movies, personally.

ManOfWesternesse
03-14-2008, 07:13 AM
No, I don't really watch them anymore now JB. Maybe one like Rio Bravo now & again (as much for Dino as the Duke - and good old Walter Brennan! ('Stumpy' was a great character)). Back in those days I loved them though.

TerribleT
03-14-2008, 07:27 AM
The Sacketts, along with a whole bunch that have already been mentioned.

blackrose22
03-14-2008, 08:02 AM
When I was younger I really love John Wayne and still have a soft spot for his films but when I was older I found out how much a bigot and racist he was I was appalled. Still enjoy his films even now even though I shouldn't.

John Blaze
03-14-2008, 08:22 AM
The Sacketts, along with a whole bunch that have already been mentioned.

Shadow Riders is one of my personal favorites too. There's rumors of a third Sam Eliot/Tom Selleck collaboration, though, so here's hoping.

fernandito
03-14-2008, 08:31 AM
Once Upon A Time In The West
The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
A Fistful of Dollars
For A Few Dollars More
The Magnificent Seven
Tombstone
Pale Rider
High Plains Drifter
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Hang Em High
Unforgiven
The Quick & The Dead

Still Servant
03-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Nice catch Feev. I think you are the only person to mention Once Upon a Time in the West.

Mattrick, you should definitely catch up on some westerns. Start with the Eastwood stuff like the man with no name trilogy. Then stuff like Josey Wales, Pale Rider and I would finish up with Unforgiven.

Unforgiven is like the culmination of all his previous western characters. He's older and more reflective, but just as dangerous. Morgan Freeman and Gene Hackman are also great.

Of all the Eastwood westerns, Hang 'em High is one of my least favorties. So if you liked that, you may like his others even more.

fernandito
03-14-2008, 01:57 PM
My least favorite Eastwood western is Two Mules For Sister Sarah.

alinda
03-14-2008, 02:01 PM
I love me som eSam Elliot.
:cowboy:

There's rumors of a third Sam Eliot/Tom Selleck collaboration, though, so here's hoping.[/QUOTE]

Still Servant
03-14-2008, 02:22 PM
My least favorite Eastwood western is Two Mules For Sister Sarah.

I haven't seen that one yet.

I've heard other people say the same thing as you Feev, which is why I haven't watched it yet.

I'm not going to go back through, because I'm lazy, but there's a film that I don't think anybody has mentioned. We should all be ashamed.

The Wild Bunch.

devo133
03-14-2008, 03:18 PM

Although in this case i may agree with him, Tarantino is an idiot.

That's sacrilegious! lol. Tarantino has quirky sense of humor, besides being a great filmmaker. But he's sincere about Good/Bad/Ugly being the greatest movie ever made. He's a student of film i'm sure. He pays homage to many great films and genres in his own movies. There's a lot of GBU in Kill Bill including the music which he lifted straight from GBU. Good/Bad/Ugly is just in a class of its own. I don't think any Western comes close including Unforgiven which I think is the only Oscar winning Western.

Still Servant
03-14-2008, 08:12 PM
I mentioned Silverado in an earlier post.

If anybody has not seen it and is interested in watching it, AMC is airing it Saturday night at 8:00 pm ET.

Sit back and enjoy one of the better "modern" day westerns.

Wuducynn
03-14-2008, 08:20 PM
I can't believe no one mentioned it yet!

No one?

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

I love TGTBTU

Good Bad and the Ugly

Lance
03-14-2008, 09:22 PM
I know it might not make the top ten but I just recently saw The Quick And The Dead and I was reminded why I love it. It was a classic western set against a time when westerns were almost forgotten. Sharon Stone was so hot as the lone wolf gunslinger. Gene Hackman played an unforettable villan. Even Russell Crowe was cool. And I consider him to be one of my most hateable acters of all time. :P

John Blaze
03-15-2008, 05:36 AM
Russell Crowe saved that movie from being shit, as well as Leo DiCrapio.

Honestly, I thought Sharon Stone's character was a bit forced, althought Gene Hackman was good also.

Telynn
03-15-2008, 07:39 AM
Well, I liked Two Mules for Sister Sarah. Maybe its a girl thing to like that one.

Paint Your Wagons is a great movie if you can get past Clint singing.

And Servant, I love Silverado.

John Blaze
03-15-2008, 07:47 AM
I like all his movies.

and him singing wasn't so bad.

Wuducynn
03-15-2008, 07:58 AM
Pretty damn limited poll you got there

jayson
03-15-2008, 08:09 AM
The Wild Bunch and The Good The Bad & The Ugly are my two choices.

Wuducynn
03-15-2008, 08:12 AM
I love Pale Rider because its part horror and western... :harrier:

jayson
03-15-2008, 08:14 AM
i'm not sure the poll above matches the question all that well. it's "what's the best western movie" but then the poll becomes "which of these handful of roles was the best performance". odd. at least there should be an "other"

Wuducynn
03-15-2008, 08:15 AM
That and its too limited.

jayson
03-15-2008, 08:17 AM
that's a fact

John Blaze
03-15-2008, 08:18 AM

I keep getting shit about this poll, but if you've seen these 4 performances, you might get it.

This is not about which movie was better, or which character was better. There might be better westerns with these individuals in them, but that's not what the poll is about.

It was about which actor's performance was better, and because these are the best, I put these up.

However, this is a thread for discussion, if you have an opinion about a better performance, air it.

Wuducynn
03-15-2008, 08:39 AM
Yeah, fuckwad, my opinion is you need to change your fucking poll. Hows that?

Wuducynn
03-15-2008, 08:50 AM
Clint Eastwood is the best in my opinion, but not in the movie you have in your poll. I liked Outlaw Josey Wales, for me his best is in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, and in Pale Rider. Also Kurt Russell for his performance in Tombstone, in my opinion the best western made.

John Blaze
03-15-2008, 09:18 AM
Yeah, fuckwad, my opinion is you need to change your fucking poll. Hows that?

You can kiss the fattest part of my ass, and if you don't like that, how about you can lick the milky drip of a salty tip of a slippery dick; fuckface.:cool:

You're fucken nuts if you're saying his portrayal of Blondie was better than his protrayal of Josey.

devo133
03-15-2008, 11:48 AM

I keep getting shit about this poll, but if you've seen these 4 performances, you might get it.

This is not about which movie was better, or which character was better. There might be better westerns with these individuals in them, but that's not what the poll is about.

It was about which actor's performance was better, and because these are the best, I put these up.

However, this is a thread for discussion, if you have an opinion about a better performance, air it.

I think people got confused because the title of the thread is "Best Western Movie Ever" when the poll is "Best Performance by an actor". imo there's not really much acting that needs to be done in a western. And acting is not really what most people look for in these movies, but to each his/her own. I like Westerns for the scenes, cinematography, music, transcending themes... things you don't get in most action movies.

ManOfWesternesse
03-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Little Big Man was another great one.
A man Called Horse (the first one).
Cheyenne Autumn.
The Missing - which I mentioned earlier - great 'recent' western.
Shane, of course - in fairness, in it's own time , it was damn good.
Magnificent Seven (again, the first one).

Steve
03-15-2008, 09:45 PM
1.) The Proposition
2.) The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
3.) Lonesome Dove
4.) The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
5.) Once Upon a Time in the West

Jon
03-15-2008, 11:04 PM
I am surprised that "Pale Rider" was not on your list.

John Blaze
03-16-2008, 07:09 AM
2.) The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

I haven't seen this one yet, but I'm buying it this weekend.

Wuducynn
03-16-2008, 04:10 PM
I am surprised that "Pale Rider" was not on your list.

It is on mine and thats the only list that matters :harrier:

John Blaze
03-17-2008, 11:09 AM
has anyone seen No Country for Old Men?

is it a western? is it a good movie?

jayson
03-17-2008, 11:11 AM
i wouldn't call it a western, though it does (a) involve a sheriff and (b) take place in texas and mexico. it is a very good movie though. good book too.

John Blaze
03-17-2008, 11:30 AM
kool, i guess I'll rent it today.

Well, i've been wanting to do this, for a bit, but work keeps me busy.

here's a comparison of the roles i set in the poll.

YouTube - My favorite scenes from Tombstone of Doc Holliday

YouTube - The Outlaw Josey Wales - Dying ain't much of a livin'

YouTube - Lonesome Dove: Some Old Men Get Respect

still trying to find a sam elliot, can't believe it's so hard.

i saw this one and just thought it was hilarious.

YouTube - SAM ELLIOTT SPEAKS THE TRUTH ABOUT WHY HE'S SO DAMN GREAT.

jayson
03-17-2008, 11:40 AM
i def rec checking it out JB. it was a pretty faithful adaptation of a very good book with excellent acting performances from Jones, Brolin and particularly Javier Bardem as Chigurh. my wife had no idea what it was about and she was drawn in immediately and hooked throughout. i had just finished the book last week and also loved the film version. the coen bros. are awesome.

John Blaze
03-17-2008, 11:44 AM
oh, im definitely renting it today.

well, it seems I can't find Sam Houston, the only Sam Elliot videos I can find are Golden Compass interviews, not even a decent Tombstone Sam Elliot clip.

IWasSentWest
03-17-2008, 11:59 AM
McClintock!

IWasSentWest
03-17-2008, 12:00 PM
and sharon stone sucked in "the quick and the dead"

cozener
03-25-2008, 05:13 AM
has anyone seen No Country for Old Men?

is it a western? is it a good movie?If it were set 120 years ago...it would be a western. The fact that its set in our time is the only reason it isnt.

and sharon stone sucked in "the quick and the dead" She sucks in generally. Honestly, I never really got why people thought she was so great.

John Blaze
03-25-2008, 05:53 AM
that movie with Sly, she's fucken hot.

other than that, Bleh.

tamez
03-25-2008, 06:59 AM
i can't remember if i posted in here yet or not

faves:

Shane
High Noon
but number one for me
is High Plains Drifter. ;)

John Blaze
03-25-2008, 07:21 AM
no Tamez, if you had posted in here I'd know it. :wub:

but thanks for joining the discussion. :)

I don't believe I've seen Shane, what is it about?

fernandito
03-25-2008, 10:34 AM
but number one for me
is High Plains Drifter. ;)

I don't know what Eastwood did quicker in that movie : draw his pistol or busts a nut :rofl:

tamez
03-25-2008, 10:40 AM

Small community of "sod busters"
being harrassed by the cattle men
get helped out by the traveling lone gun fighter ;)

pretty standard plot :D

Matt
03-25-2008, 12:06 PM
I was really impressed with 3:10 to Yuma but my most favorite western is Unforgiven.

John Blaze
03-25-2008, 01:18 PM

Small community of "sod busters"
being harrassed by the cattle men
get helped out by the traveling lone gun fighter ;)

pretty standard plot :D

Yeah, it is pretty standard. I saw one the other night where the traveling lone gunfighter is impersonating a priest. It was pretty funny.

John Blaze
03-25-2008, 01:25 PM
I was really impressed with 3:10 to Yuma

Glenn Ford or Russell Crowe?

Matt
03-25-2008, 01:26 PM
The new one :lol:

John Blaze
03-25-2008, 01:29 PM
ok. I like both, being that they are almost exactly alike.

Also, Russell Crowe's sidekick in the movie, I forget his name but he played Archangel in X-Men 3, he kicked ass.

Ruthful
03-25-2008, 04:09 PM
My favorite modern Western,

http://www.cinemacom.com/noir/aceIntheHole373.jpg

John Blaze
03-25-2008, 05:23 PM
Kirk Douglas is a modern western?

fernandito
03-25-2008, 06:58 PM
Also, Russell Crowe's sidekick in the movie, I forget his name but he played Archangel in X-Men 3, he kicked ass.

Ben Foster.

Ka-tet
03-28-2008, 12:02 PM
I havent see many westers but what ive seen ive loved:
The quick and the dead
Outlaw josey wales
Young guns

Thats about it ^_^

FatherofRoland
04-21-2008, 11:08 PM
no, :( this is what i mean,i only started recently,before then,for some reason i'd never watch a western.

One thing about High Plains Drifter, did you notice the town (Lago)looks like it was built yesterday? it's so dumb, they didn't even try to age it.Major flaw i imo,but the only flaw.

Well, in the story it was a very new town that went down quickly with the mining issues. So it was new in its setting, it was not an old worn down ghost town.

FatherofRoland
04-21-2008, 11:14 PM

My favorites, in order.

1. Tombstone
3. Unforgiven
4. Young Guns
5. Quick and the Dead
6. Open Range
7. Broken Trail
8. Quigley Down Under
10. Winchester '73

I am a big western fan. Your opinion is fine, but I really would disagree with much of your top 10. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly has to be the mother of all westerns. And Fistful of Dollars is just behind it. Those are such good films and westerns they have to at least be no your list. Above Young Guns most certainly.

The older ones like HIgh Noon and Shane are very excellent. I did like the new and old 3:10 to Yuma a lot. Unforgiven is probably to most honest western I've ever seen.

There are essentially 2 kinds of westerns. The John Wayne type with your obvious hero/villain and your basic tough guy doin' all the right things hero. Then you have your Eastwood kind where the story isn't so black and white, the hero isn't so perfect and clean cut but probably more real, and the bad guys are a lot more bad. As you can see by my description I like the Eastwood kind better. I guess I just like spaghetti westerns better than the typical Hollywood western.

Also, I suggest the Trinity movies i.e.. They Call Me Trinity and My Name is Still Trinity. They are spoofs, but very well done a pretty funny.

John Blaze
04-22-2008, 04:36 AM
the thing about my list is it is MY opinion.
make your own top ten.

I should have put Quigley Down Under up there instead of Young Guns, it's one of the best westerns out there for sure. There's another old western, it's called No Name on the Bullet, and that one's pretty good too. TgTbTu is a very good movie, and it should be in my top ten. I'm fickle when it comes to my favorites though, I have alot and the way I list them can depend on alot of things, my mood and how recently I've seen them last are 2 of those factors.

jemaher
04-22-2008, 10:19 AM
my only problem with those lists is that i see a movie named and i realize that
a) I loved it and
b) i havent seen it in a while and
c) there is not enough time to rewatch em all

John Blaze
04-22-2008, 10:32 AM
:lol:

I just received Lonesome Dove on DVD saturday, and haven't even finished watching Part 1 "Leaving".

I know exactly what you mean.

razz
04-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Westerns aren't my favorite movie genre, but Big Jake was pretty good.

HanzouNorak
04-29-2008, 02:41 PM
when i was a baby i would cry all night long, i had some sort of stomach disease that you only get as an infant. anyway, my dad woul;d have no way to keep me quiet, but he would turn on Tombstone, and i would queit down and watch it. i did this with no other movie. nowadays, i still like it more than the other westerns.

susie
04-29-2008, 04:05 PM
sergio leone's "the man with no name" stories are my favorite. apparently i was obsessed with it as a kid, even though i couldn't understand english then. what's not to love? clint eastwood looking smoldering in a poncho (lol), andn ennio morricone's amazing themes.

devo133
04-29-2008, 11:02 PM
sergio leone's "the man with no name" stories are my favorite. apparently i was obsessed with it as a kid, even though i couldn't understand english then. what's not to love? clint eastwood looking smoldering in a poncho (lol), andn ennio morricone's amazing themes.

I feel the same way, except for the Eastwood part. He was a badass tho :) Ennio Morricone's Il Triello is amazing. I'm glad Tarantino put it in Kill Bill. Here's the greatest showdown ever with Il Triello in the background.

YouTube - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly - Final Showdown

susie
05-01-2008, 02:35 PM
tarantino is such a hack... but i adore him, because he doesn't try to hide the fact that everything in his movies is stolen -- stolen with love.

and THAT, right there, is my all-time, favorite cinematic moment. you have no idea how happy you made me by posting it. XD i love it even though i've seen it about a billionmilliongazillion times.

ladysai
05-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Well, I liked Two Mules for Sister Sarah. Maybe its a girl thing to like that one.
I loved that one,too! Maybe it is a girl thing...

I voted for Clint Eastwood in the poll. It was a tough choice though, all those fellas are classic cowboys.

I love westerns. Mostly the Eastwood classics, not so much the really old westerns. I have really enjoyed the likes of Tombstone, Silverado, and Unforgiven; but I really hated The Quick and the Dead and Young Guns was a bit like fast-food...you got the taste of it, but it wasnt really satisfying.
I hope to see more good westerns come from the studios. I'm looking forward to seeing the new 3:10 from Yuma.
I think the genre will be around for a while, since it strikes a chord in many hearts that really doesnt come out with other stories. Something about the wild, open West is still magical to imagine.

jemaher
05-01-2008, 04:08 PM
not sure that dusk till dawn is a western but it was delightfully tacky

John Blaze
05-01-2008, 09:07 PM
dusk till dawn is seriously NOT a western.

I just heard Renee Zellweger will be coming out in a new western sometime soon. i just figure if they're putting her in a western it must be a big studio with some money to invest. I'm looking forward to it.

Rider_of_Discordia
07-18-2008, 08:20 PM
This one is bound to have been done before ... (I should imagine!) but what the heck.
Its not unreasonable to expect that fans of the Dark Tower might be fond of the odd Western film or two ... especially if the films in question are a little odd.
In no particular order I really like..

1) ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST That haunting harmonica, the mysterious gunslinger, the evil Henry Fonda, the long shots that go on forever, that dry desert, the music. Its epic and wonderous!

2) FISTFULL OF DOLLARS Had to have a man with no name movie in here. Clint is great and while the plot has been done to death, it is still a classic.

3) THE QUICK AND THE DEAD the myth of the fast draw, Sharon Stone in those leather pants, Gene Hackman as the bad guy (again!) he he he ... top stuff

4) UNFORGIVEN damn, can't resist Clint films ... and I was going to put Pale Rider in as well, but that just fills out my top five with no John Wayne movie (which wouldn't be right!) ... Morgan Freeman is brilliant in this, but when isn't he brilliant (okay, Dreamcatcher ... no!!!)

5) TRUE GRIT is a classic. My daughter always cries when Little Blackie dies, and you always wonder what drinking water from a horse's hoofprint would be like.

fernandito
07-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Hey Rider, cool thread idea!...although a nearly identical one was already started some time ago. I'm going to merge this with that one, and hopefully some of the newer members can post their favorite westerns as well :D

Rider_of_Discordia
07-18-2008, 08:29 PM
Thanks Feverishparade, I just knew something like it would have been done before ... cheers for the merge!

The Lady of Shadows
07-18-2008, 10:31 PM
unforgiven

hands down. no questions. end of discussion.
:P

Ruthful
07-18-2008, 11:21 PM
http://thecia.com.au/reviews/p/images/proposition-poster-0.jpg

John Blaze
07-19-2008, 08:22 AM
ruth, that looks interesting, what's it about? how new is it?

Ruthful
07-19-2008, 12:40 PM
ruth, that looks interesting, what's it about? how new is it?

It's set in the Outback in what I think is supposed to be Australia's transitional period between gigantic penal colony and settled nation. It's about a band of ruthless Irish outlaws that are being hunted down as they hide out among aboriginal tribes somewhere in the range, wherever that is.

Someone on the old site had a still from the film in his avatar, which piqued my interest. So when I actually saw a copy of the DVD in my local library I checked it out.

John Blaze
07-19-2008, 08:42 PM
and it's that good?

gritty realistic good or Man from Snowy River good?

Ruthful
07-19-2008, 11:35 PM
I thought it was one of the best Westerns I've seen, although I don't see many Westerns. Nick Cave, who wrote it, did a brilliant job.

There are a couple of scenes you can watch for yourself on YT.

Here's the trailer:

YouTube - The Proposition - Trailer

This is one of my favorite scenes from the film:

YouTube - Peggy Gordon from The Proposition

It's better than watching "Bandidas," that's for sure.

B Rag
07-20-2008, 09:17 PM
Does West Side Story Count?

Kidding! *ducks behind counter to avoid being shot*

The Lady of Shadows
07-20-2008, 09:54 PM
:rofl:

hey, it's kind of in the west.

Still Servant
08-27-2008, 07:04 PM
If you guys like Western movies like I do (if you're reading this thread, I'm assuming you do) then check out the trailer for Appaloosa.

It's directed by Ed Harris and stars Harris, Viggo Mortenson and Jeremy Irons. It's looks really good. I don't want to get too excited, but I think the western genre is back.

3:10 to Yuma and Jesse James last year and now this film. Hopefully, it will be good.

Now, go watch the trailer.

fernandito
09-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Apparently it's blasphemous to call yourself a Western fan if you haven't seen The Proposition.

:unsure:

John Blaze
10-01-2008, 02:12 AM
If you guys like Western movies like I do (if you're reading this thread, I'm assuming you do) then check out the trailer for Appaloosa.

It's directed by Ed Harris and stars Harris, Viggo Mortenson and Jeremy Irons. It's looks really good. I don't want to get too excited, but I think the western genre is back.

3:10 to Yuma and Jesse James last year and now this film. Hopefully, it will be good.

What's awesome is the shottie he carries in the movie. 8 gauge double barrel, now THAT'S a Big Fucken Gun.

Ruthful
10-01-2008, 09:43 AM
Apparently it's blasphemous to call yourself a Western fan if you haven't seen The Proposition.

:unsure:

Exactly.

:P

Still Servant
10-09-2008, 03:29 PM

What's awesome is the shottie he carries in the movie. 8 gauge double barrel, now THAT'S a Big Fucken Gun.

I wouldn't know because none of the main theaters in my area are playing the movie. If a want see it I will have to go to one of the run down cinemas near me that don't have stadium seating (I shutter at the thought) and still have movie posters up from the 80's.

And they wonder why the Western is dead. Well, if the movie isn't open near you it's hard to go see it. I gave my local theater a piece of my mind and the kid said they just had too many other movies open this week.

This is why cinema is so watered down. They would rather show films likes Beverly Hills Chihuahua in order to make a quick buck on bunch of parents who don't want to talk to their kids.

This is why the movie IQ for most Americans is 0. I knew the country was in trouble when I asked this hot chick in college what her favorite movie was and she told me Night at the Roxbury. She was not longer attractive to me.

I think I'm done...oh one more thing, The Proposition is pretty sweet.

John Blaze
10-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Dude, but I like Night at the Roxbury. I think it's kind of wrong to limit yourself to "smart" or "artsy" movies. I'm happy with my wide palette of taste.

Still Servant
10-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Correction.

It's not that she liked it, it's that it was her favorite film of all time. I enjoy all types of films. I love kids movies, chick flicks, slashers you name it, I'll watch it.

I like a lot of films that are not considered artsy or smart. I didn't mean to come off as a cinema snob.

I liked Night at the Roxbury too, but favorite movie of all time? Come on. That doesn't tell you something about a persons taste in film.

I enjoyed Duece Bigalow Male Gigalow as much as the next guy, but it's not my favorite movie ever.

Ruthful
10-09-2008, 05:37 PM
I think I'm done...oh one more thing, The Proposition is pretty sweet.

To me, this is how I would rank contemporary Westerns:

1. The Proposition
2. Back the Future III
3.Tombstone
4. Unforgiven
5. The Beguiled

Then, any one made that was directed by Akira Kurosawa.

If Salma Hayek and Penelope Cruz had decided to do a lesbian scene, I would have added "Bandidas" to the list.

B Rag
10-10-2008, 06:10 AM
I liked Night at the Roxbury too, but favorite movie of all time? Come on. That doesn't tell you something about a persons taste in film.

Definitely among the top 5. ;)

Arthur Heath
10-10-2008, 09:06 AM
If Salma Hayek and Penelope Cruz had decided to do a lesbian scene, I would have added "Bandidas" to the list.

:Homer:
mmmmm Salma Hayek and Penelope Cruz mmmmmmm

I liked Night at the Roxbury too

Definitely one of the best westerns of all time :cyclops:

Ruthful
11-29-2008, 03:14 PM
A bit OT, but have any of you watched 3:10 to Yuma?

I'm only fifteen minutes in, but so far I like what I've seen.

:thumbsup:

John Blaze
11-29-2008, 11:24 PM
the new one or the old one? they both are pretty awesome!

the ending will blow your mind too!

enjoy.

Ruthful
11-30-2008, 08:50 AM
The one with Christian Bale and Russell Crowe.

I think Gretchen Mol is in it as well.

John Blaze
11-30-2008, 08:14 PM
i liked Christian Bale since American Psycho, and when The Machinist came out, I told my brother that he might be one of the best actors of this decade, but the mainstream public didn't really notice him until batman, which is a shame, because he is an awesome actor.

his performance in this movie was great as well.

Ruthful
12-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Just finished watching it, and thought it was great!

Although, I'm still trying to figure out two things:

1. Why Wade (Crowe) didn't just strangle (Bale) to death when he had the opportunity.
2. Why he wound up killing his entire crew and boarding the train to Yuma after Bale had been murdered by them.

John Blaze
12-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Because a man of honor is a man of honor, villain or not.

Armand St Pierre
12-01-2008, 08:06 PM
I still stand by my sentiment that Blazing Saddles is the BEST western outside of the hotel industry.

Desperado is pretty good too......with Selma titties to boot!:clap:
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2006/celebdatabase/salmahayek/salma_hayek3_180_240.jpg

Ruthful
12-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Because a man of honor is a man of honor, villain or not.

Alright, it still makes absolutely no sense to me, but I'll accept it.

Ben Foster was great in this film, BTW. I don't know why this is, but it seems like whenever they need an evil (male) character they choose a blond actor, but for really, really evil characters they cast a redhead.

Ruthful
12-01-2008, 11:38 PM
I still stand by my sentiment that Blazing Saddles is the BEST western outside of the hotel industry.

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2006/celebdatabase/salmahayek/salma_hayek3_180_240.jpg

I love the Mariachi trilogy, even though the two sequels seem like they're completely separate from the original film. The most insane part of Once upon a Time in Mexico is that I could actually see that plot playing itself out in real-life.

fernandito
12-02-2008, 05:13 AM
3:10 to Yuma bored the hell out of me, say sorry.

Still Servant
12-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Oh, man. 3:10 to Yuma was a great Western. I think Crowe felt bad for Bale because he was risking so much to get him to that train. He felt it was only right to get on the train after Bale died.
Besides, he knew he was just going to escape anyway.

If you like Bale, you have to watch Rescue Dawn. He's great in that movie.

fernandito
12-02-2008, 08:47 AM
Mike - I put a spoiler tag in your post ^ for those who haven't seen the movie yet.

John Blaze
12-02-2008, 09:09 AM

I love the Mariachi trilogy, even though the two sequels seem like they're completely separate from the original film. The most insane part of Once upon a Time in Mexico is that I could actually see that plot playing itself out in real-life.

I'm sorry fellas, but the mariachi trilogy definitely is outside the realms of Western for me. Good Movies, yes, but not Westerns.

fernandito
12-02-2008, 09:22 AM
I agree with JB.

Brice
12-02-2008, 09:28 AM
As do I. I pretty much am bored by westerns. The Mariachi Trilogy was excellent though.

fernandito
12-02-2008, 11:48 AM
I love Westerns, I have an extensive collection of them.

Ruthful
12-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Salma Hayek is naked in one of those films though.

She is even more naked in "Ask the Dust" though, which is another great film.

Heather19
12-02-2008, 02:47 PM
As do I. I pretty much am bored by westerns. The Mariachi Trilogy was excellent though.

I feel the same way. There's a few that I enjoyed, but overall it's probably my least favorite genre. However, I did take a class back in college that was focused just on western films, so I did gain an appreciation for the genre even though it's not my favorite.
That said, I've really been wanting to watch 3:10 to Yuma. I'm going to have to pick up sometime soon now.

when The Machinist came out, I told my brother that he might be one of the best actors of this decade

Someone else that has seen this film! This is hands down my favorite performance by him.

John Blaze
12-02-2008, 03:58 PM
i knew i liked you for a reason.

have not seen ask the dusk, but I will have to check it out.

Ruthful
12-02-2008, 06:55 PM
http://www.askthedust-movie.com/enter.html

Django
12-09-2008, 11:50 AM
My top 5 contemporary western list:

1. Unforgiven
2. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
3. The Proposition
4. 3:10 to Yuma
5. Open Range

And the best TV show ever: Deadwood

:cowboy:

John Blaze
12-09-2008, 12:23 PM
welcome Django, your list is good, but I decline to accept the Assasination of Jesse James as a western. :p

open range is good tho, should be closer to the top.

Django
12-10-2008, 03:24 AM
welcome Django, your list is good, but I decline to accept the Assasination of Jesse James as a western. :p

open range is good tho, should be closer to the top.

Cheers for the welcome! Assassination not a western? Well, I guess it's not always easy to draw the line. How about Brokeback Mountain? :P

And yeah, Open Range was good. I think I should watch it again, though.

John Blaze
12-12-2008, 01:20 AM
brokeback mountain?!?!?! you are evicted from this thread henceforth!!!!

sacrilege, blasphemy!!!

Jon
12-12-2008, 01:23 AM
Clint Eastwood - High Plains Drifter.

Yul Brynner - The Magnificent Seven (1960 version)

Ruthful
03-22-2009, 05:44 PM
brokeback mountain?!?!?! you are evicted from this thread henceforth!!!!

sacrilege, blasphemy!!!

Yeah, I have no idea how Brokeback Mountain can be classified as a Western under even the broadest definition of the term. It was an okay movie, but definitely not Ang Lee's best-far from it-and it's certainly not a Western.