PDA

View Full Version : Jumper (Definite Spoilers)

Candice Dionysus
03-11-2008, 10:30 PM
My friend Kathy took me to see it on Monday, and while I had wanted to see it, I went in expecting to be disappointed (and wishing I had gone and read the book first, but I guess it doesn't matter, because I've heard the two are totally different). I certainly wasn't disappointed, and while I was never really a fan of Hayden Christiansen, I came out of the movie with a little more respect for him than I had previously. He did a good job, I almost forgot it was him in the role.

But I think the character that really sealed the deal for me, who oddly enough wasn't originally in the book, was Griffin. It was certainly a wonderful performance on the part of Jamie Bell, who I've all but fallen in love with by this point. (I like to read up on actors I like, if I've never seen them before. The more I read about this kid, the more I adore him. He's very lucky, considering he's only two years older than I am.)

As for the story itself, I enjoyed it immensely, though I think they would have done a much better job with it if they had broken it down into more of a miniseries, instead of a movie. They didn't have nearly enough time to give back story, and barely enough time to advance character development, not to mention I'd have loved to have seen the movie started more with something about his mother/when she left. Not so much why, but when. Of course, that's just my opinion. And while I am of that opinion, I still did like it as it was. And considering most book-to-movie adaption's annoy the hell out of me, it's some surprise to myself that I loved it.

(SPOILERS AHEAD)

One of my favorite scenes was when Hayden's character David and Jamie's character Griffin were jumping from place to place with a bomb, not only fighting over it, but over David's girlfriends life, and how they end up in Chechnya, in the middle of gunfire. Griffin jumps through, looks around, and just exclaims "Chechnya!" as this jeep with gunners on it drives by. It was almost adorable in its own weird way, and it made me giggle.

I definitely love the interaction between David and Griffin, and Griffin's own admission that he doesn't "play well with others" when David wants to do a "limited Marvel team-up." David chasing him from place to place and pushing the subject until Griffin agrees just to shut him up was another very amusing point in the movie, especially when Griffin says that David can't keep following him like that, and David says he's "the only one who can."

So, unless you don't give a hoot about spoilers, I'm assuming you've seen the movie. What were your opinion's of it? I mean, I loved it, but that's just me.

TerribleT
03-12-2008, 04:48 AM
I really liked it a lot!!!!!!!

mia/susannah
03-12-2008, 05:00 AM
I have not heard of this movie. I will have to try and find it and check it out. Thanks

Daghain
03-12-2008, 07:50 AM
I saw it, and while I thought it was good entertainment, I thought they could have done so much more with the story than they did. It was more action scenes than plot, IMHO.

Although, I DID love when he first discovered he could jump into the bank vault. :lol:

KO1
03-12-2008, 03:36 PM
had alot of promise, as well as some good moments, but they just didnt do enough with the property

Candice Dionysus
03-12-2008, 11:56 PM
Dag, KO1, I agree they didn't do as much as they could/should have; I myself mentioned they probably would have done far better with the story if they'd done a mini-series instead of just pumping out a movie.

All things considered, it really wasn't a bad movie, and I'd watch it again. Hell, I'm going to buy it so I can watch it whenever I want... When it comes out on DVD, of course.

Mattrick
03-13-2008, 12:07 AM
You say you don't like Hayden Christensen...have you perchance seen Life As A House or Shattered Glass?

Candice Dionysus
03-13-2008, 12:13 AM
No, I haven't. I've seen him in Star Wars (which I'm also not a fan of) and in Jumper. So from the movies I've actually seen him in, I've liked half. Heh.

Mattrick
03-13-2008, 02:01 AM
I highly recommend the two I mentioned.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0264796/ - Life as a House, plays an emo/kid so he's whiny in it but he plays the part well. While he may be annoying he's supposed to be.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0323944/ - Shattered Glass is his best performance. The movie to see his talents without teleportation/a lightsabre.

It's sad Hayden got such a harsh recourse from people due to Star Wars Episodes Two and Three. It's not as if having Lucas scripts or his directing, or lack there of, helps his cause.

I'm not entirely sold on Jumper yet. Something about it just tells me that I won't lose any sleep over missing it. Sad, because it seems like a cool idea done wrong from the trailers.

KO1
03-13-2008, 08:46 AM
dont get me wrong, jumpe was entertaining, but its one of those movies you see once and enjoy it for what it is, knowing so much moer could have been done

Still Servant
03-13-2008, 01:37 PM
I usually enjoy a movie when I go in thinking it's going to suck.

If I went in thinking I was going to like it, I would have been disappointed.

With that being said, I have a hard time recommending it to people.

I agree with a lot of what Candice said as far as some of the problems with the film. Another thing I would add is that they never really explained why Samuel L. Jackson and his paladins were hunting the jumpers.