PDA

View Full Version : The Walking Dead - Image Comic's neverending nightmare

David
05-12-2007, 02:47 PM
So, you say you like zombie movies. You're new to comic books and someone tells you about a little story called The Walking Dead. That was pretty much me a little while back and i'm glad I got the suggestion at the comic book store.

The story surrounds a protagonist named Rick, who collects along the way a band of survivors of some cause-unknown zombie takeover. The story starts w/ Rick waking up from a coma after an undisclosed amount of time and from taking a gunshot to the chest. What he wakes up to, is a hospital that is abandoned, save for the undead that are roaming the halls.

The series is currently at issue 37, with 6 paperback collections of 6 issues each (at about 10 to 12 dollars a piece, it's an extremely affordable story to get into). Writer Robert Kirkman explains in an interview that he sees no end to the story, just twists and turns.

One important thing to note is that this is not primarily a horror comic. What Kirkman does is to essentially tell a sociological tale of human interaction under horrific circumstances. For anyone who is both a fan of Romero zombie flicks and Stephen King's The Stand, i'd highly recommend at least trying out the first collection in the series, Days Gone Bye.

Matt
05-14-2007, 02:07 PM
Oh man, this sounds great David. If we had a comic book store nearby I am not sure I would be able to make my mortgage. :ninja:

Hannah
05-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Will just mailed me something to do with these comics! They haven't arrived yet, but I can't wait to read them.

David
05-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Oh man, this sounds great David. If we had a comic book store nearby I am not sure I would be able to make my mortgage. :ninja:
Yeah, there are quite a few that have caught my eye lately, but i'm doing my best to stick with this one until i've gotten caught up to the current individual issues.

I just finished the 2nd paperback of the series, Miles Behind Us, and i've gotta say, i'm so hooked. The characters have incredible depth given the medium. Also, this second book, the original artist is replaced with the current (and hopefully permanent) art team, and it is far more dark and menacing. Kirkman doesn't hold back by not letting all of the people you grow to care for have their 'happily ever after'. Extremely intense and as realistic as I can imagine this story being told.

Hannah, that's great! You're gonna love it. :D

OchrisO
05-14-2007, 06:39 PM
I'm still pretty annoyed that I didn't go meet Robert Kirkman when he was here on campus. I've not read a lot of the comics, but I like whjat I have seen, and have heard a lot of good stuff. I need to grab some TPBs when I have money again.

fernandito
05-15-2007, 10:56 AM
I'm about halfway through the first volume , and I must say I'm pretty impressed. I love the balance between action and character development.

David
05-15-2007, 11:23 AM
Are you reading the 6 issue paperback or the 12 issue hardcover?

fernandito
05-15-2007, 11:25 AM
The 12 issue hardcover.

David
05-15-2007, 12:05 PM
Ahhh... Then you're right about at the scene that gave me nightmares for a couple of nights (regarding Rick's son trying to protect him).

I'm likely gonna get the hardcovers down the line when I can see it fitting into the budget a little better. They are lovely.

Erin
05-21-2007, 02:23 PM
I hadn't heard much about these David and just your descriptions have me hooked. I think I'm going to go order some of these right now. :D

fernandito
05-21-2007, 03:21 PM
I'm going to buy book 2 with my next paycheck. I think the ending of the first book demands you to buy the next one :)

Grillslinger
05-21-2007, 07:31 PM
I just finished book 6 and thought it was amazing! The bad part is that I don't have 1 - 5.

Jimmy
05-21-2007, 09:39 PM
I've enjoyed the series so far. The thing about Kirkman is, sometimes the drama is so intense, I forget that I'm reading a zombie comic and I like that.

VolsToTheWall
05-22-2007, 11:10 PM
I'm going to be giving this series a try. I've begun collecting the issues with #37, and I'm gonna catch up to that point with the collections of the first 36. I'm sure I'll be totally hooked on this series in short order. :thumbsup:

David
05-23-2007, 10:31 AM
I've enjoyed the series so far. The thing about Kirkman is, sometimes the drama is so intense, I forget that I'm reading a zombie comic and I like that.

That is exactly what Kirkman wants to hear. :D He's obviously a big Romero fan as Romero has said before that he simply uses zombies as an excuse to tell a story.

I'm just now starting the 3rd trade paperback (the first half of the second hardcover (issues 13-18 of the comic series) which has been impossible to find for weeks since it's currently out of print. If any of you are collecting the trades and you see issue 3, grab it. There is no ETA as to when they will resume printing.

Hannah
05-23-2007, 10:59 AM
Thanks to Will I just started with the first hardcover edition. I love it. I'm going to go to B&N tonight to see if I can get the next hc in the series.

Hint to those with small children: Do not leave it laying around where tiny eyes and tiny hands can reach it. My five year old read parts of it and after about ten minutes asked me, "Is everyone going to die, Mommy?" She then started to cry when I answered yes, and said, "But I don't want to die!"

David
05-23-2007, 11:22 AM
Oh God, Hannah! That's awful!

Hannah
05-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Yeah, I thought so myself. Poor little thing. I gave her ice cream so she'd forget about death. :ninja:

David
05-23-2007, 01:20 PM
Did it work?

Oh, and i'm about done with #3 TPB "Saftey Behind Bars" and as you can imagine where the vol. 1 hardcover ended, it's a splaterfest!

OchrisO
05-26-2007, 08:49 PM
I started reading this today.

IN issue #6, when the little kid Carl shoots Shane to save his dad, then runs to his dad, hugs him and says "It's not the same killing the dead ones, daddy." and Rick says "It never should be son. It never should be," WOW. That was some powerful stuff.

David
05-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Yeah, there are moments at least in the next two like that which beg the question, "What are normal people capable of if the s**t went down."

OchrisO
05-28-2007, 11:13 PM
I have read up to issue #36 now. Simply amazing stuff. He also cracks me up in his letter column. I was totally unaware that Kirkamn was from Lexington, which is only about 20 minutes from where I live. I really want to get Invincible and Battle Pope now.

Erin
05-28-2007, 11:23 PM
I tried to get the first one today at the local bookstore, but they only had the second hardcover set. I think I'll have to get them offline.

And Chris, he's from Lexington? Sweet! I guess that's why he did a signing at Eastern.

OchrisO
05-28-2007, 11:26 PM
Yep. From what I can tell, he still lives there, too. He mentions local comic shops in his letter column and such. You will reallyy like the comics, Erin. It is very character driven, and just has some truely amazing and well written moments in it. I really wish I had already been reading it and would have went to the signing when he was at EKU.

Myy friend Nick used to rave about his comic Battle Pope all the time, but I never made the connection.

David
06-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Just obtained vol 4!

BlakeMP
06-02-2007, 06:30 PM
This is definitely one of Image's best comics. I'm a huge fan.

Steve
06-04-2007, 08:52 AM
I'm a huge fan since I discovered the comics three months ago. When's the next due?

VolsToTheWall
06-04-2007, 05:50 PM
I just finished the 1st HC. I loved it. You guys are right on with your comments. I love the characters and I'm enjoying the story, let alone that I've always been a zombie movie/video game fan. I like the Romero style zombies, so it's cool to have a series based on them. Can't wait 'til my copy of the 2nd HC arrives, then I'll get all caught up. I'm already hooked, so I can't wait to get caught up and finally be able to read my copy of issue #37 that I've been saving. :)

BlakeMP
06-04-2007, 07:37 PM
The Walking Dead is (ostensibly) a monthly, so the next issue should be out in a couple of weeks.

Matt
06-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Dang.

You guys are making me want to sign up with a distributer. I would be covered in cool comics and Dora would go nuts. :lol:

David
06-06-2007, 12:00 PM
I'll be picking up volumes 5 & 6 tommorow. I've already got issue 37, so after tommorow evening it's just gonna be a waiting game to get #38 and then the torture of waiting a month at a time. Totally worth it, though.

VolsToTheWall
06-13-2007, 07:26 PM
I finally got caught up through issue #37. The story has just been getting better and better, can't wait for #38.
I had a great time reading through the story. I love how Kirkman is not afraid to kill off a character at any moment, or do something terrible to one, so it's great never knowing what's going to be thrown at you next. I do wish I had not looked at the cover for #37 before I started reading the series, since I knew Rick was gonna lose his hand, but no biggie, still got to me even though I knew it was coming. Now I want Rick to pull an Ash and get a cool weapon on his bad arm. :lol: I guess that would be silly, but it would be entertaining. With their shortage of available gasoline I guess a chainsaw is out of the question. :lol: I can't wait to find out what Philip and the gang from Woodbury come up with in way of an assault on the prison. I hope that Rick and the gang can get some cool weapons from the National Guard station, if it's not empty that is. I have a feeling they'll be something left for them though. ;)
Anyway, now to waiting for each individual issue with the rest of you. :D

Erin
06-15-2007, 11:28 AM
A few days ago I bought the Hardcover Book One. While it was sitting on the table, waiting for me to read it, my boyfriend picked it up and hasn't put it down since. He even stayed up till 1am last night when he had to be up at 6 reading. I thank you Walking Dead. This may have been the first time I've ever seen my boyfriend read in the whole year we've been together. :lol:

Tvmorbid
06-15-2007, 12:43 PM
I've read a few of these, they where pretty awesome :)

fernandito
06-16-2007, 01:32 PM
So I logged on to my account at Amazon.com, with my order-happy fingers looking for the WD Book III, and then I see the release date... November 2007! :lol: I guess I'm going to have to resort to buying the 6 issue collections from now on.

Erin
06-17-2007, 11:51 AM
I read the entire book one last night. I couldn't stop reading it. Now I'm off to go get number 2 today.

Is anyone else just waiting for the moment Jim comes back and terrorizes them? They're going to wish they had killed him.

Hannah
06-21-2007, 08:52 AM
Have you read #2 yet, Erin? I just finished it. It's pretty damn awesome.

fernandito
06-21-2007, 09:14 AM
"WE are the walking dead!!"

Hannah
06-21-2007, 09:56 AM
"WE are the walking dead!!"

That part was great. I love his whole speech towards the end.

Erin
06-22-2007, 08:26 PM

I just finished it last night, AMAZING! Michonne is turning out to be the shit.

And does Lori annoy the crap out of anyone else? I hope she gives birth to a zombie baby which then proceeds to eat her.

OchrisO
06-22-2007, 08:36 PM

And does Lori annoy the crap out of anyone else? I hope she gives birth to a zombie baby which then proceeds to eat her.

Are you jealous of my awesome Michonne poster now? :)

Erin
06-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Yea now I actually understand it. They have that exact picture in the back of the hardback book #2. That's what's so awesome about the hardcovers, they have about 10 or so colored drawings at the back which are really neat.

David
06-23-2007, 12:03 PM

I have a feeling that Lori isn't going to survive childbirth, being that Carl was born from cecarian (sp?). There likely going to have to cut her open, and at this point, I don't think that Alice has the knowhow if they can't deliver naturally.

fernandito
06-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Picked up TWD Vol 5 a little while ago, and finished it in one sitting. :D

I also picked up Sam Noir Vol. 1, you guys ever heard of it? I was just browsing through the store and I saw it, the last one left..I flipped through a few pages and knew right away that this would be a new series to obsess over. :)

VolsToTheWall
06-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Yea now I actually understand it. They have that exact picture in the back of the hardback book #2. That's what's so awesome about the hardcovers, they have about 10 or so colored drawings at the back which are really neat.
The hardcovers collect the actual individual issue covers which are indeed very cool. :thumbsup:

I have a feeling that Lori isn't going to survive childbirth, being that Carl was born from cecarian (sp?). There likely going to have to cut her open, and at this point, I don't think that Alice has the knowhow if they can't deliver naturally.
That's a good point David.
I remember thinking the same thing, that if Carl had to be birthed via Cesarean Section, that Lori was gonna be up shit's creek with a turd for a paddle when the new baby comes a knocking. I think that the crew will win out against the Woodbury assault and manage to hold the prison and then have a happy moment, and then to balance it out, Lori may reach the clearing at the end of her path.

David
06-23-2007, 03:37 PM
The hardcovers collect the actual individual issue covers which are indeed very cool. :thumbsup:

That's a good point David.
I remember thinking the same thing, that if Carl had to be birthed via Cesarean Section, that Lori was gonna be up shit's creek with a turd for a paddle when the new baby comes a knocking. I think that the crew will win out against the Woodbury assault and manage to hold the prison and then have a happy moment, and then to balance it out, Lori may reach the clearing at the end of her path.
How messed up would it be for Rick to have to raise a baby on his own concieved by his wife and Shane. Seems par for the course for Kirkman's writing style within this story.

According to Kirkman, issue #40 is almost finished and that Image is going to be releasing these through #42 rather rapidly. God knows, it's been nearly 2 months since issue #37.

Hurry up, next Wednesday!

VolsToTheWall
06-23-2007, 04:25 PM
How messed up would it be for Rick to have to raise a baby on his own concieved by his wife and Shane. Seems par for the course for Kirkman's writing style within this story.

According to Kirkman, issue #40 is almost finished and that Image is going to be releasing these through #42 rather rapidly. God knows, it's been nearly 2 months since issue #37.

Hurry up, next Wednesday!
That's good news. Now that I'm all caught up, I can't read the story in these huge chunks anymore. :lol: That was fun how I was able to just race through the series, and man it just flew by.

I think you're right on there David. It definitely seems like a twist that would go along with the way the series has gone thus far.

David
06-27-2007, 02:12 PM
#38 was released today! :rock:

VolsToTheWall
06-29-2007, 05:43 PM
#38 was released today! :rock:
I hope he's right that #39 ships in just two weeks.
Spoilers for issue #38
I like how Kirkman is toying with us about this baby to be born next issue. He's teasing us so much that the delivery may go bad, that we're doubting whether Lori is really gonna die or not. That's what makes the series great, you never know for sure what the hell is gonna happen. The cover for #39 is ominous, but it makes me think if he's teasing that much, that Lori might survive the delivery after all. I think he likes that she manages to annoy us, so he might want to keep her around to continue doing so. How about the Walmart cliff hanger? I think if I just blew up somebody's only gas supply, in a world not exactly brimming with working gas pumps on every corner, I'd hurry my ass up and get the F back home. :lol: "Hey there's a Walmart! Let's stop and shop for a bit. It's not like anything bad could happen." You think one of the characters from the Walmart fiasco is gonna die and Lori is gonna live? At least we won't have to wait long to find out (hopefully).

Grillslinger
06-29-2007, 06:58 PM
Okay...exactly how far along is the series? No spoilers please...just how many issues...or how many hardback volumes.

fernandito
06-29-2007, 07:24 PM
There are books and volumes, which consist of 12 and 6 issues, respectively. And of course, you can buy each issue seperately.

Grillslinger
06-29-2007, 07:49 PM
So how many issues in is it?

fernandito
06-29-2007, 07:51 PM
38...39? I'm not sure, I'm not completely caught up with the series yet. I'm still on issue 31 :)

VolsToTheWall
06-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Issue #38 was just released this week. Kirkman said in the letter section at the back that issue #39 should release in two weeks (hopefully), and that we should expect monthly issues or better from then on.

David
06-30-2007, 01:14 PM
Yeah, he said he wanted to put out 18 issues this year alone. It's gonna have to be a bunch of bi-weekly releases to hit that number.

VolsToTheWall
06-30-2007, 07:03 PM
Yeah, he said he wanted to put out 18 issues this year alone. It's gonna have to be a bunch of bi-weekly releases to hit that number.

Sweet! Fine by me. I can handle bi-weekly. :thumbsup:

fernandito
07-01-2007, 12:26 AM
Just ordered Vol. 6 from Amazon. :)

Erin
07-02-2007, 10:46 AM
So...i've read hardcover Books 1 and 2. I saw that Book 3 isn't going to be released for awhile and I need my Walking Dead fix. What is next for me to get? Is it trade paperback Volume 5? I seemed to have read that somewhere online.

fernandito
07-02-2007, 11:19 AM
I had the same problem :P

Now you need to pick up vol 5, and 6. Book 3 doesn't come out until November I think.

Erin
07-02-2007, 11:22 AM
I'm going to the comic shop tonight.

I'm an addict and need help. I also got my sister to read them and she loved it. It's the first "comic" she's ever read in her entire life.

fernandito
07-02-2007, 11:24 AM
Hello, my name is Fernando and I'm addicted to comics.

[Hello Fernando!!!]

:lol: No but seriously, everytime I go to a comic shop I usually walk out with $50+ worth of stuff. :)

David
07-03-2007, 12:30 PM
I'm going to the comic shop tonight.

I'm an addict and need help. I also got my sister to read them and she loved it. It's the first "comic" she's ever read in her entire life.

Did you pick up TPBs 5 and 6? And did you get issues 37 and 38 to get fully up to date?

OchrisO
07-03-2007, 04:25 PM
I have still not read issue 38. I am starting to twitch a little.

David
07-03-2007, 05:13 PM
38 has yet another badass cliffhanger. :D

Oh, and Image just announced that TPB issue #7 will be released in September, so Kirkman isn't kidding about wanting to get these rolling out quicker. We'll see. These guys seem to rarely stick to the schedule they set with the publishers. Plus, with him also working on Invincible and the newly launched Astonishing Wolfman, it seems like he's not going to be getting much sleep for awhile.

Erin
07-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Did you pick up TPBs 5 and 6? And did you get issues 37 and 38 to get fully up to date?

I did! I am now completely caught up! What a freaking awesome story.

I almost crapped myself when they returned from Woodbury and the whole prison was overrun with zombies again. :o

OchrisO
07-08-2007, 09:45 PM
#38 was kind of slow and disappointing to me, the first issue of the series that didn't feel like it went anywhere.

Erin
07-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Have you all been reading the letters in the back of the issues?

I can't believe the people who got off to Michonne's rape. ><

OchrisO
07-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Have you all been reading the letters in the back of the issues? I can't believe the people who got off to Michonne's rape. ><

I was originally reading most of them, but have sort of dropped off on it. Giving what you just said, I am kind of glad that I haven't been. It's no wonder Kirkman has went all J. D. Salinger and moved back in the boonies.

Grillslinger
07-09-2007, 08:38 PM
Please use spoiler alerts, folks. Especially on a story this long....where it's easier not to be caught up.

Erin
07-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Ooops, sorry Grillslinger. I've edited my original post. Maybe a facilitator of this area can edit spoiler tags into the other quotes.

OchrisO
07-10-2007, 03:53 PM
I edited mine

David
07-11-2007, 07:51 AM
Some of those letters have got to be people joking around.

At least, I hope so.

fernandito
07-11-2007, 07:54 AM
I'm thinking of picking up vol. 6 on tonight, along with the DT 6 and the latest Marvel Zombies vs Army or Darkness. :)

Hannah
07-12-2007, 07:38 AM
I was thinking I'd just wait on these until I could pick up vol. 3 of the hardcover deal. How far behind will I be if I wait until it comes out in November?

Grillslinger
07-12-2007, 11:53 AM
Thanks for editing the posts, guys!
I appreciate it.

OchrisO
07-12-2007, 06:40 PM
Thanks for editing the posts, guys!
I appreciate it.

The spoiler is still in your quote of erin's post. You should be able to edit it and add tags.

Grillslinger
07-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the heads up! It is now fixed!
:dance:

David
07-14-2007, 09:36 AM
I was just over at Image Comics forum checking on this week's schedule, and guess what?

No Walking Dead this week.

I'm starting to think that Kirkman's promises to release on time is a running joke.

Erin
07-15-2007, 09:50 PM
Wow, Kirkman was pretty gungho sounding in the last couple issues about being on time more often. Hmmm.

In any case, I'm on such a huge zombie kick from the Walking Dead that now i'm reading World War Z to passtime while I wait on issue 39.

fernandito
07-16-2007, 08:08 AM
This saturday I picked up:

-The Walking Dead Vol. 6
-Marvel Zombies vs Army of Darkness Issue 5
-The Dark Tower 6
-Phobos Issue 2
-Fables Vol. 1
-A sick ass 14 inch Leonidas action figure :D

Hannah
07-16-2007, 08:23 AM
Wow, Kirkman was pretty gungho sounding in the last couple issues about being on time more often. Hmmm.

In any case, I'm on such a huge zombie kick from the Walking Dead that now i'm reading World War Z to passtime while I wait on issue 39.

Let me know how World War Z turns out, Erin. :)

David
07-17-2007, 01:24 PM
MAJOR SPOILER IN THE FOLLOWING LINK!!!

Cover for issue #44 (http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0707/17/walkingdead44.htm)

Erin
07-17-2007, 06:19 PM
Oh noes! :o :o

fernandito
07-18-2007, 08:29 AM
Finished Vol 6 last night. Now to start collecting them individually :)

David
07-20-2007, 04:21 PM
Sneak peek at issue #39 (http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0707/20/imagefirsts.htm)

Spoilers up in there.

David
07-28-2007, 04:06 PM
Issue 39 was awesome. If you consider having the reader's heart torn out to be awesome.

Minor spoilers within the following link.

Upcoming Walking Dead poster advertising issues #44-48. (http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/preview2.php?image=cons/cci2007/imagecomics/The_Walking_Dead_Poster_SDC.jpg)

^This pretty much resolves a particular theory that I had adopted. (far right illustration)

Erin
08-07-2007, 09:30 PM
:o That poster's awesome!

CyberGhostface
12-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Have you all been reading the letters in the back of the issues?

I can't believe the people who got off to Michonne's rape. ><

No one 'got off' on her rape. All I recall was some offended black reader suggesting that white people would, which is entirely different (and racist in itself I might add)

The Walking Dead is probably one of my favorite titles right now. I'm really enjoying it. Can't wait for the next issue(s).

Erin
12-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Hmmm. I guess I read it wrong.

Anyways, I just saw today that the Hardcover Book 3 will be released December 19th! Yay!

fernandito
12-06-2007, 03:17 PM
I need to catch up on The Walking Dead series. I left off at issue 36 (bought the first two Hardcovers and the two subsequent 6 issue paperbacks). I don't know whether to buy the individual volumes or wait for the next 6/12 issue compilation.

Steve
12-06-2007, 10:49 PM
I love this series. I really do. It's The Stand of comics.

Arthur Heath
05-21-2008, 06:11 PM
I'm really enjoying this series as the dialog is extremely good and the characters that albeit are in a dire situation are very personable. I ran across a good article on Newsarama for those who are also enjoying the series and to hopefully turn some people onto it.

Robert Kirman Interview (http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=157739)

Erin
05-21-2008, 06:18 PM
Hey Skolpadda...we already have a Walking Dead thread.....I just realized it was in the wrong place though.

I'll move it in here and have another mod in this area merge your thread with it. Walking Dead thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=234)

The Walking Dead kicks MAJOR ass though! I :wub: it.

Girlystevedave
07-18-2008, 02:27 PM
I was 'this' close to picking this up the other day. I'm guessing now that I should have.:orely:

Oh well..next time!

fernandito
07-18-2008, 03:55 PM
The 12 issue hardcover? Or the 6 issue TPB? Or the individual issues? Did I confuse you just now?

Girlystevedave
07-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Wait..I don't think I'm confused..
Let's see....No, I'm not. :lol:

It was the TPB Vol 1.

William50
07-18-2008, 04:23 PM
The comics do sound cool. I am going to do some research and see about ordering them off the internet.

CyberGhostface
07-10-2009, 02:38 PM
*bump*

So...what are everyones' thoughts on the title right now? I was a bit worried at first about the new direction but I'm loving it now.

fernandito
07-29-2010, 09:07 AM
Anybody else looking forward to the TV series !?!? :excited:

---
With genre pictures like "Aliens" and "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" to her name - not to mention plenty of comic book movies such as "Hulk" and "The Punisher" - it's hardly surprising to find Gale Anne Hurd walking amongst the dead in the AMC network's television adaptation of "The Walking Dead." But just because the executive producer has plenty of experience doesn't mean that filming the Frank Darabont-helmed TV series is an easy task.

CBR News had the opportunity to speak with Hurd alongside a small group of reporters last week at Comic-Con International in San Diego. During the interview, Hurd discussed the origins of the "Walking Dead" television adaptation, the differences between big and small screen work, how much violence they're able to get away with and the certain types of divergences from the source material that fans can expect from the series.

CBR News: This show is a pretty crazy endeavor in a lot of ways. The comic book has always been a zombie movie that never ends, and now this is presumably the zombie television show that never ends.

Gale Anne Hurd: We certainly hope so. [Knocks on wood]

Artist drew Struzan's promo art for AMC's "The Walking Dead"

How did the project come together for you?

The genesis of it started with the relationship between Frank Darabont and Robert Kirkman. Robert, from the very beginning, was very vocal about the fact that he didn't see this as a movie. We're up to issue #75 [in the comics] and he thought that the characters and their journey really needed treatment in a TV series. It's pretty unusual. You'll find that most comic books [go to the big screen], but truly, the small screen is much more intimate and it's actually a very intimate comic book.

So, there had been an initial development that didn't pan out, and we're all very happy about that! That was going to be at NBC, and that was really not quite the home for this. It was actually at last year's Comic-Con that Frank, Robert and I were sitting at a restaurant that is unfortunately no longer around. We sat down and I said, "I've been in touch with AMC. They're really eager to do this as a series." Initially, people said, "AMC? That's 'Mad Men.'" That's what people thought initially. Then "Breaking Bad," [which] is a series about meth dealers. But what a lot of people aren't aware of is their Fearfest programming, which is in October. It's actually their highest rating block of programming in terms of viewers, with classic genre films. We're launching in that window and it's actually the perfect time.

They were completely on board with the fact that this is character-driven. It's not just a matter of what's the killer zombie of the week going to do, you know? It's about how the humans - the survivors - are going to react in any given situation.

How different is this from producing film?

It's much harder! [Laughs] Wow. I thought at this point, I've been doing this for 30-some odd years and I thought, "Okay, TV. It's little!" But it's really hard. It's hard because every day, you're essentially making a mini-movie and it has to be just as good and you don't have as much time to turn things around. You have new directors coming in. That's why we're so blessed to have both Frank Darabont and Robert Kirkman intimately involved in everything. This is not just people putting their names on something.

We haven't spoken with Frank yet, but is this a long-term thing for him, or is he just kicking it off?

No. You've never seen someone as committed as Frank is to this. We have to get through these first six episodes and then we'll take a breath, the series will launch, and hopefully we'll get extended to a second season, in which case we get the opportunity to take it to thirteen episodes. He isn't directing them all - he isn't directing all of these, either. There's really no time to do all of that on this kind of schedule, because he's very heavily involved not only in the writing but also in the editorial process. In fact, the episode we just shot was written by Robert Kirkman. We're in the middle of shooting that.

At what point was Frank actually brought in?

Frank was involved from the very beginning, way before AMC. Frank - you'd have to ask him - but he's been to twelve or fifteen Comic-Cons. He's a huge comic book fan. Tomorrow I think at 4:00, there's a special poster that Drew Struzan created. If you know Drew Struzan, he kind of retired and he came back and did a special poster for us. Frank knows - I mean, Bernie Wrightson is one of his closest friends. We're both really good friends with Tim Bradstreet, who I saw over at the Con this morning. The artists and the medium, I think it truly to me seems like the way that bluegrass is kind of an indigenous American medium. Comic books, to me, also very much capture that.

For AMC, I'm surprised with how much blood you're being able to get away with.

But they were very up front. We came in there and said, "It's about zombies. Zombies kill people and people kill zombies - it can't happen off camera." And they said, "No, we understand." They actually showed us footage of movies that had been aired unedited during Fearfest, ones that been slightly edited, and honest to God, we went, "Oh my God! We hadn't been planning on going that far, but okay!" [Laughs]

They get it. They absolutely get it. They are fans of the genre and it's not something where they're pandering or they think they can get an audience. This has been part of their programming from the very beginning and they're fans as well. We were actually shocked when we came into our first meeting that they had seen all of the classic films in the genre.

The violence is obviously translating well, but there are some things like the book's language that can't cross that barrier.

That is true.

Story-wise, I know [the show] is staying pretty faithful, but there are certain divergences from the comic book material. Were there any elements that you felt had to stay true to the core of what Robert wrote in the book?

There's a lot of that, actually. But at the same time, Robert said to me from the very beginning, "Listen. I don't want the fans to sit there and know exactly where each episode is going and what exactly is going to happen to each character and when it's going to happen." There's no fun in that. You don't want people to have the blueprints and basically say, "You know, that wall is five inches off." You want people to be surprised, and I honestly think that fans do want to be surprised. They also don't want this - we're not out there trying to create something that no longer feels like it has the genesis that this has, which is why Robert Kirkman is so involved on the set, in the writer's room and writing it.

Were you a fan of the comic book series before this?

Oh, absolutely! How can you not be? It's great. The fun thing, too, is it's a big cast. Pretty unusual for a TV series to have a cast as big as this. We actually couldn't bring everybody because Comic-Con wouldn't let us have that many people on a panel. Hopefully we'll be back next year with even more of our cast members.

"The Walking Dead" premieres on AMC in October as part of the network's annual Fearfest program. The series comes from director-writer-producer Frank Darabont and executive producers Gale Anne Hurd and Robert Kirkman.

Source. (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=27525)

lophophoras
07-29-2010, 09:19 AM
:thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to this series also!!

fernandito
07-29-2010, 09:26 AM
Have you seen the images of the zombies ? IGN had some up on their site and I have to say they look gruesomely-fantastic. Let me find the link and post it on here.

turtlex
07-29-2010, 09:26 AM
I like the people involved, and it looks good ... but I'm always leery.

disel24
07-29-2010, 10:33 AM
I was leery at first too but with Frank Darabont involved and how faithful he is to whatever work he's adapting? Yea, this is going to be a solid win and we'll have our Zombie fix weekly!

disel24
07-29-2010, 10:35 AM
I need to catch up on the series. I went one a HUGE tear and read 1-70 a while ago, I stopped reading once they reached the new settlement with new people by Washington D.C.

Kirkman's really taken these characters through the ringer.

lophophoras
07-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Have you seen the images of the zombies ? IGN had some up on their site and I have to say they look gruesomely-fantastic. Let me find the link and post it on here.

I think someone posted pics on Brian Keene's site or over on the Shocklines forum, can't remember exactly where I saw them. I have seen some though and they did look great!

WeDealInLead
07-31-2010, 12:11 PM
Holy good deal Batman! My store has TWD Compendium for sale for $20. That's 48 comics in one big book. I couldn't pass on that deal. I never actually read the comic but for that price it's worht a shot. Worst case scenario, I give it away to someone I think might dig it.

disel24
08-03-2010, 08:14 AM
Let me know if you don't like it Lead lol I may just take it off your hands (though if you love zombies I don't see you NOT liking this comic)

Emily
08-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Whoa

YouTube- AMC's &quot;The Walking Dead&quot; Official Trailer

Here's where I found it originally:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=27977

Heather19
09-20-2010, 02:14 PM
So I finally picked up Book 1 of the Walking Dead.
:rock:

fernandito
09-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Did you finish it already ?! Isn't it awesome !?

Heather19
09-20-2010, 02:34 PM
:lol: No, I was so tired last night so I only read a couple of pages.

And I know I've asked you this before, but I can't remember. I got Book 1, which is bigger (and more expensive) than the smaller volumes. What is the difference between the two?

fernandito
09-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Is it that big black hardcover ?

http://i43.tower.com/images/mm100471352/walking-dead-book-1-robert-kirkman-hardcover-cover-art.jpg

Heather19
09-20-2010, 04:38 PM
Yes :)

fernandito
09-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Ah ! That's a book, which contains 3 volumes (the smaller sized ones).

So...

Book 1 contains Volumes 1, 2, and 3.
Book 2 contains volumes 3, 4, and 6

Etc., etc. :)

Heather19
09-20-2010, 05:09 PM
Thank you :huglove:

I was flipping through it quick to see if I could see any separation between volumes, but I couldn't find any. So I got confused.

fernandito
09-21-2010, 04:24 AM
Anytime love :couple:

mikeC
08-24-2011, 06:57 AM
They found the riot gear and all that stuff why didn't they use walkie talkies there had to have been some, that would have saved alot of lives.

mae
10-21-2011, 09:39 AM
Hoping to pick up all seven hardcovers for Halloween! And feast! :panic:

mae
10-23-2011, 05:24 PM
Trying to get the seven hardcover books of The Walking Dead, but it's proving to be pretty expensive. Can anyone help me find them somewhere for around 85 bucks or so?

Ben Staad
10-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Trying to get the seven hardcover books of The Walking Dead, but it's proving to be pretty expensive. Can anyone help me find them somewhere for around 85 bucks or so?

That would be a great deal if you can find it. I've been looking as well and it seems like if you could get the set for around $110 you would be doing well...of course maybe I've been looking in the wrong places.

Heather19
10-24-2011, 06:38 AM
Yeah, the only way I got them fairly cheap was thru Borders. I would always get coupons for 40% off. But sadly they're no more. But even still that added up if you put them all together. I'd say just slowly start picking them up, then it won't be too much at once.

DoctorDodge
10-24-2011, 06:45 AM
I'm still wondering if i should go with the compendium or one hardcover at a time.

*Looks at price of hardcovers. Looks at price of compendium.*

Sod it, i'll just get the compendium.

mae
10-24-2011, 07:45 AM
The compendium is softcover. Blah...

DoctorDodge
10-24-2011, 07:51 AM
Dude, I collect Judge Dredd graphic novels all the time - softcover collections are something I'm used to. (Even America, which should be released in a special deluxe hardback collector's edition, but oh well.)

DoctorDodge
10-24-2011, 08:00 AM
Oh, and I am so looking forward to this.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/46271/san-diego-comic-con-2011-exclusive-look-walking-dead-video-game

Most video game adaptations of licensed properties suck, but this is one being made by TellTale Games. Everything I've played of theirs, most of which based on licensed properties, have been completely true to the spirit of the original while being a great game experience in their own right. Another reason for me to read the comics before the game comes out, I think.

Brainslinger
10-24-2011, 08:09 AM
Dude, I collect Judge Dredd graphic novels all the time - softcover collections are something I'm used to. (Even America, which should be released in a special deluxe hardback collector's edition, but oh well.)

Yeah, I've picked up some paperback GNs too. That backfired the other day when I managed to accidentally fold over the cover of my new copy of The Simping Detective in my bag. (I like to put a book in my bag to read on bus journeys and work lunch breaks.) So annoying! I've taken to putting them in the packaging they were delivered in, to prevent this happening.

I'll continue to buy paperbacks though. A Hardback is very nice... but the paperbacks are cheaper. Beside a lot of Rebellion's publications are only available in paperback.

DoctorDodge
10-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Well, the Compendium arrived today. Excellent value to hold, but a bastard to read due to its sheer fucking weight! :lol: Well, it's gonna be something I'm gonna have to read an issue at a time, that'll work best. I'm liking the art style so far, I have to say.

Ari_Racing
10-26-2011, 02:41 PM
Post a pic! :)

fernandito
10-26-2011, 03:01 PM
What Ari said !

Tatts4Life
11-29-2011, 05:24 PM
I picked up volume 1 today when I stopped by my local comic store to pick up my back issues of other comics. I LOVE THIS SERIES!!! What happens to Shane at the end of volume one was great considering I hate the bastard in the show. I think I'm gonna switch and start picking up the books through since I got through the volume so quick.

fernandito
12-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Yup, I think the books would be a more prudent choice. They're so damn addicting, it's impossible to stop at just one volume.

Tatts4Life
12-01-2011, 02:03 PM
I had to go with volume one because my local store didn't have book one. But after checking Amazon it will be cheaper to buy the books from there. Then just start buying the individual comics when they come out.

Tatts4Life
01-25-2012, 05:05 AM
So yesterday i was at my local store picking up my issues from the last month or two and thought I would compare their prices to Amazon. Well it turns out that if I were to buy the Volumes from amazon it will be cheaper then buying the books by about $3. So it might take me a little longer to catch up, But at least I'll have the single issues to read once I've bought all the volumes.

OchrisO
07-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Holy fuck....has anyone read issue #100 yet?

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ben Staad
07-30-2012, 04:46 AM

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I bought a copy but have not read it yet. Maybe I should not?

CyberGhostface
07-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Does anyone else think that the series peaked during #48-50? Seems to be kind of in the ruts lately and the current storyline seems to be repetitive of past arcs...hoping I can be proven wrong.

OchrisO
07-30-2012, 06:40 PM

I bought a copy but have not read it yet. Maybe I should not?

It is super sad, but if you have read 99 issues you should be used to this sort of thing by now. haha.

Does anyone else think that the series peaked during #48-50? Seems to be kind of in the ruts lately and the current storyline seems to be repetitive of past arcs...hoping I can be proven wrong.

I don't think so. I've enjoyed it all the way through, but I am a Walking Dead fanboy from way back.