PDA

View Full Version : The big question now and forever: Who is your favourite from the Ka-Tet?

Letti
05-12-2007, 12:09 PM
I guess this is the question which can never die.
Who is closest to your heart?

Jean
05-12-2007, 12:41 PM
I love those colorful bars for poll results, they're great!

... and who could be that monster who voted for Susannah?

Letti
05-12-2007, 12:43 PM
I love those colorful bars for poll results, they're great!

... and who could that monster be who voted for Susannah?

Jean! :) You know I love and respect Susannah.

fernandito
05-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Roland, without question.

I think the part where I truly fell in love with this character is when he massacres everyone in Tull single handedly. :cool:

Letti
05-12-2007, 04:04 PM

I think the part where I truly fell in love with this character is when he massacres everyone in Tull single handedly. :cool:

I fell in love with him, too but not at that part...

LadyHitchhiker
05-12-2007, 04:25 PM
Eddie I voted for.. but it was tough out of those four between Eddie and Roland.

The_Nameless
05-12-2007, 04:38 PM
Well, I voted. But, I must say, my favourite character and the character closest to my heart are not one in the same.

Favourite character: Roland. of course.
The character I related to the most is Jake, though.

Jean
05-12-2007, 09:48 PM
I never vote for Roland

he is too different from all other characters. I can't compare him. He stands alone, way apart from anybody else. From among the rest, I always choose Susannah.

Brice
05-12-2007, 10:57 PM
I voted for Roland. In part I imagine for the very reasons you don't Jean.

VolsToTheWall
05-13-2007, 02:00 AM
Roland will always get my vote on this one.

Letti
05-13-2007, 05:41 AM
Roland will always get my vote on this one.

Yesyes.
I love them all.. but still.

Matt
05-13-2007, 08:08 AM
I voted Jake just because of what it took to be him. From the very beginning he was scared but still hard as nails. I love Roland and I think he's a good guy but I never understood his motivation completely.

And, he reminds me of my kid. :D

Letti
05-13-2007, 10:46 AM
I voted Jake just because of what it took to be him. From the very beginning he was scared but still hard as nails. I love Roland and I think he's a good guy but I never understood his motivation completely.

Jake or Roland? ;)

Hannah
05-14-2007, 07:39 AM
I picked Eddie. A sense of humor will win me over anytime.

Roland is still my favorite, but I want to have Eddie's love child. I may have to evaluate what I'm saying after I post this to see if it even makes sense. ><

Matt
05-14-2007, 07:42 AM

Jake or Roland? ;)

:lol: Jake.

I should post a pic of him, his is the spitting image.

ManOfWesternesse
05-14-2007, 07:51 AM
Roland.

Letti
05-14-2007, 08:36 AM

Jake or Roland? ;)

:lol: Jake.

I should post a pic of him, his is the spitting image.

Oh please do! :rose:

Letti
05-14-2007, 08:37 AM
Roland.

Oh, amazing to see you around. :rose:
I didn't know your favourite was Roland before.

wizardsrainbow
05-14-2007, 09:03 AM
Roland, but Jake is a close runner up. I have two sons so I just loved Jake to death.

Letti
05-14-2007, 09:24 AM
Roland, but Jake is a close runner up. I have two sons so I just loved Jake to death.

:rose:

sarah
05-14-2007, 10:52 AM
roland all the way.

tamez
05-14-2007, 10:55 AM
the big R baby

Ruki
05-14-2007, 04:25 PM
it's hard for me to choose because my favorite changes often while i'm reading or listening to the series. i'm gonna have to say roland though, since i'd much rather hear a new story about him than any of the others.

Rjeso
05-14-2007, 04:36 PM
I also voted for Roland. I can't really put my finger on why he's my favorite - he does some pretty bad things, and yet, I always find myself sympathizing with him and justifying his actions. I guess it's something about a man who once loved and laughed as a boy, but does neither often anymore, if at all. I pity him, I love him, I identify with him. He becomes a father figure during my journey with the ka-tet. I trust him, regardless of what he's done in the past. i get sad for him, I feel his joy when Jake calls him his father. I don't come clost to empathizing as much with any other character as I do with Roland.

ZoNeSeeK
05-14-2007, 06:50 PM

Tull = Crompton

Roland = FP

ITS OK NANDO, DONT BE ASHAMED. :ninja:

I voted for Jake, because of his age he was the hardest of the lot.

ErinPatricia
05-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Roland!

Eddie appeals to the smartass,sarcastic cynical side of me, but in all honesty there wouldnt be a Dark Tower without Roland

pol
05-15-2007, 05:00 PM
Its gotta be Roland...he is the heart of the ka-tet, even if it appears at times he lacks one. If it was not for him, the ka-tet would not have come together...however it is through them that Roland grows and is able to develop into the individual he is by the end of Book VII.

MonteGss
05-16-2007, 09:11 AM
Roland, Roland, Roland, Roland, Roland. :)
Roland is the reason I kept reading the series to its end. Roland is the reason I love the series. Roland is such a badass!
The Coming of the White!

Letti
05-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Roland is the reason I kept reading the series to its end. Roland is the reason I love the series. Roland is such a badass!
The Coming of the White!

Just because of him??

MonteGss
05-16-2007, 09:28 AM
The Coming of the White!

Just because of him??

Character wise, yes. He was the reason. He was not the only reason I kept reading, no. :)

ZoNeSeeK
05-17-2007, 07:14 PM
Did anyone notice the parallels between Susannah and Beverley Marsh?

In a mostly male group, they are the only females and are also both the best shot (Roland says this a number of times in DT).

Darkthoughts
05-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Roland, I think he encompassed aspects of all the ka-tet. I saw Jake, Eddie and Susannah in Roland - so I feel I can choose them all in some way through him.
That and the simple fact that he, as a fictional character, managed to affect me so much.

Chassit
05-24-2007, 02:24 PM
Roland, he always seemed to remind me of the parts of myself that I am both most proud and ashamed.

Baradin
05-24-2007, 02:48 PM
This was a hard one to call. I ended up not picking Roland because he is the one with the story I want to follow, but my favorite character was always Eddie. His fight against Balthazar et al was the defining moment for me with his character. Fucked up beyond all belief, tired as hell, naked, and with some supernatural phenomenon appearing and helping him out, he still managed to not get shot and somehow kill a metric crapton of dudes (see how I cleaned that up? LOL)

Daghain
05-28-2007, 08:59 PM
Roland. Hands down. I totally get how his mind works - which should scare me, in a way, but it doesn't, really. :D

Wuducynn
05-30-2007, 12:07 PM
Okay why isn't Oy listed?

Matt
05-30-2007, 12:11 PM
Hmmm...good question. Maybe animal love is not as pure as the people love. :lol:

Wuducynn
05-30-2007, 12:17 PM
*Doesn't touch that one with a 100 hundred foot pole*

:lol:

Daghain
05-30-2007, 12:45 PM
A wise decision, CK :D

Wuducynn
05-30-2007, 12:47 PM
Seriously though, Oy should be listed!

sarajean
05-30-2007, 02:12 PM
Seriously though, Oy should be listed!

done.

Chassit
05-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Oy takes a close second (with Jake right there too)

XIX

Jake Chambers
07-09-2007, 05:52 PM
I say Jake. As a child he is forced to carry out and perform deeds that would make most adults piss themselves in fear. He's brave and intelligent and doesn't care to sacrifice himself in time of need.

Matt
07-10-2007, 06:22 AM
:nods:

Jake knew how to "stand"

She-Oy
07-10-2007, 07:02 AM
I choose Oy. Roland is sort of a given. It's his world after all, he just drew the rest into it.
And I'm not sure why I say Oy, but my guess is loyality. His love for Jake and subsequently the rest of the Ka-tet is so pure and unquestioned.

Aesculapius
07-10-2007, 09:13 AM
Well I come from alabama with my banjo on my knee
And Im bound for louisiana, my own true love for to see
It did rain all night the day I left
The weather was bone dry
The sun was so hot I froze myself
Suzanne, dont you go on and cry

I said, oh, suzannah
Now, dont you cry for me
As I come from alabama with this banjo on my knee

Well I had myself a dream the other night
When everything was still
I dreamed that I saw my girl suzanne
She was coming around the hill
Now, the buckwheat cake was in her mouth
A tear was in her eye
I said, that I come from dixie land
Suzanne, dont you break down and cry

I said, oh, suzannah
Now, dont you cry for me
cause I come from alabama with my banjo on my knee

She-Oy
07-10-2007, 09:24 AM
No way.

Aesculapius
07-10-2007, 02:04 PM
way.
(the)

Vertigo
07-10-2007, 11:57 PM
Roland on the top, he's been with me the longest, followed closely by Eddie. I'm also a smart ass jerk.

Then Oy, of course...

Letti
07-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Nothing is "of course" here. ;) :D

Letti
06-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Cry your pardon but I'm gonna BUMP this thread. We have so many friends here and I am interested in their feelings.

alinda
06-21-2008, 01:54 PM
Roland all the way, just cuz, but Laura sure stated my feelings pretty well.

jayson
06-21-2008, 03:08 PM
I voted for Jake which should surprise nobody.

ladysai
06-21-2008, 07:38 PM
I'm sorry, Letti. I cannot vote in your poll. :(
I cant really choose one of the tet to be my favorite.
They're a tet...one for all and all for one. I cant really separate them in my heart.

Girlystevedave
06-21-2008, 08:39 PM
Roland :wub:

I fell in love with all the characters for different reasons, and at different times, but: Without Roland there would not have even been a ka-tet. He is the character to which all other characters are compared to in my eyes snce reading the DT. Simply put: The man is tha shit! :)

John_and_Yoko
06-21-2008, 10:32 PM
What the hey, I voted for Oy. :blush: Just a sucker for animals....

Besides, I think Oy had most of the lines that I remember from the series....

Unfound One
06-21-2008, 11:15 PM
My first instinct was Eddie. He's fuckin' hilarious and a total goofball, but very strong when he needs to be.
I feel he is the most human character as well, perfectly written.

stone, rose, unfound door
06-29-2008, 09:10 AM
Letti, it's cruel not to have put Roland's first ka-tet. You should know by now that I always choose Cuthbert ^^

MonteGss
06-29-2008, 04:45 PM
Letti, it's cruel not to have put Roland's first ka-tet. You should know by now that I always choose Cuthbert ^^

While I know you are not alone and many people like his "first" ka-tet....the DT story is about Roland and his "second." So, sadly, Cuthbert shouldn't be in the poll. :)

Jean
06-29-2008, 10:54 PM
I would really love to see a similar poll, with Roland excluded (as dinh and generally someone who is way too specific to be compared with anyone)

Babymordred121
06-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Jack Mort. Definitely Jack Mort.

stone, rose, unfound door
06-30-2008, 04:38 PM
I know it's about the second ka-tet, but I can't pick anyone nonetheless because, although the first ka-tet seemed 3 very different persons acting together, the second one is really a whole and can't be separated (that's my opinion) and Cuthbert was always my personal favourite :) And anyway, I don't really care coz I have to admit I really really really wanted Roland's ex-ka-tet to reappear at some point in the story like in the poem (my point is I like the first ka-tet best as individuals and that's it)

mia/susannah
06-30-2008, 06:15 PM
I have avoided this question long enough I suppose. It is hard for me to pick anyone of them as my favorite. I love them all. But I had to choose Susannah. There is no particular reason but she really earned alot of respect, if you ask me

Wuducynn
06-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Susannah. Easy.

Jean
06-30-2008, 09:58 PM
Susannah. Easy.
you are my hero

Tony_A
07-01-2008, 04:18 AM
I voted for Jake because when I first started reading the series, I was close to his age during his first/second deaths and when he emerges into the ka-tet.

As I finished the series, Roland started becoming my favorite, but after Jake's sacrifice and imploring that Roland continue his quest instead of saving his life cements him forever.

Roland would be second with a toss-up of Eddie, Susannah, and Oy.

SpanishDiablo
08-27-2008, 08:19 AM
Isn't Pere Callahan considered a Ka-Tet member?

Tiffany
08-28-2008, 06:05 AM
Jake, hands down.

Brice
08-28-2008, 07:28 AM

Yes, I'm not sure why he isn't in this poll.

Letti
08-28-2008, 07:59 AM
I do know that he belonged to the ka-tet but for my the ka-tet became a "whole" when Oy joined and somehow my mind closed that circle at that moment. I can't say that Callahan didn't belong to them still when I think of the ka-tet only Roland, Jake, Eddie, Susannah and Oy came to my mind.
We can add Callahan anyway.

Jean
08-28-2008, 08:10 AM
I don't think Callahan is ka-tet; or maybe we should differ between "the closer ka-tet" and "the extended ka-tet"; I think it has been discussed elsewhere.

alinda
08-28-2008, 08:14 AM
If Callahan , were on the list ...today he would get my vote.

Jean
08-28-2008, 08:18 AM
If Callahan , were on the list ...today he would get my vote.
yes, and mine, too - but how fair would that really be, and how much caused by surprize and gratitude that someone remembered him?

alinda
08-28-2008, 08:23 AM
I dont know, I feel like Callahan today.
All used up, lost on a hidden highway,
full of doubt, yet ready to take names and kick
some serious ass. Its been a hard week here @ casa linda.

Brice
08-28-2008, 08:26 AM
:huglove:

alinda
08-28-2008, 08:28 AM
:couple:

sinstar
08-28-2008, 08:33 PM
I Loved Roland. Everything about him was amazing.
in fact, i loved the whole Ka-tet, including susannah

That being said, Eddie literally MADE the series for me. His jokes, his take on things, even his growing desire for the tower.
The Dark Tower series was so much better because of Eddie. I liked Cuthbert too though.
When Eddie died, first of all, i wanted to punch someone in the face, and second, i wanted to put the book down and stop all together.

I though, well, eventually i'll just go on and forget he's gone. But everytime a new chapter started, or new events occured, like when Roland and Jake went to save Steve, i thought, wow, where the hell is Eddie?

Letti
08-28-2008, 10:00 PM
I dont know, I feel like Callahan today.
All used up, lost on a hidden highway,
full of doubt, yet ready to take names and kick
some serious ass. Its been a hard week here @ casa linda.

My week was hard as well darling but whenever I look at your av I feel I wanna live. *long hug*

Anyway yes, I think we have talked about Callahan here or maybe in another thread already.

Letti
08-28-2008, 10:01 PM

That being said, Eddie literally MADE the series for me. His jokes, his take on things, even his growing desire for the tower.
The Dark Tower series was so much better because of Eddie. I liked Cuthbert too though.
When Eddie died, first of all, i wanted to punch someone in the face, and second, i wanted to put the book down and stop all together.

I though, well, eventually i'll just go on and forget he's gone. But everytime a new chapter started, or new events occured, like when Roland and Jake went to save Steve, i thought, wow, where the hell is Eddie?

And who did you vote for? :)

sinstar
08-29-2008, 08:19 AM

And who did you vote for? :)

Susannah.

Joking :) Eddie obviously

Tony_A
08-29-2008, 08:38 AM

Not to me. I don't recall that Roland ever said "We are ka-tet" with Callahan in the circle.

Letti
08-29-2008, 09:20 AM

Not to me. I don't recall that Roland ever said "We are ka-tet" with Callahan in the circle.

But he did say that he belonged to the ka-tet many times.

Tony_A
08-29-2008, 10:39 AM

Damn! I guess I'll have to another re-read! And I just finished #2 a month ago. Now I feel like I'm the one in a loop.

Letti
08-29-2008, 09:14 PM

Damn! I guess I'll have to another re-read! And I just finished #2 a month ago. Now I feel like I'm the one in a loop.

A rereading is always a good idea. I am rereading WoC that's why I remember it easily. :)

guitarchick81
09-11-2008, 07:08 PM
i voted for eddie but roland is so awesome his tears can cure cancer

BeDaN
09-12-2008, 11:32 PM
It's very hard because I envy Roland for his personality and his bravery, but I relate to Eddie a lot more. They're both even to me even though Roland does cross my mind a lot more. I do tend to think to myself "What would Roland do?"

guitarchick81
09-13-2008, 09:55 AM
roland deschain can kills two stones with one bird

Letti
09-15-2008, 01:38 PM
It's very hard because I envy Roland for his personality and his bravery, but I relate to Eddie a lot more. They're both even to me even though Roland does cross my mind a lot more. I do tend to think to myself "What would Roland do?"

And do you do what he would do?

BeDaN
09-15-2008, 08:26 PM

And do you do what he would do?

I exclude the bad things he's done, it's more his nobility. It's hard to explain for me but he had this way of getting around things in very cunning ways, and the wheels were always turning in his head, so when something difficult comes up I think WWRD? And I take a step back and assess the situation better.

Ves'Ka Gan
09-16-2008, 12:17 PM
I chose Eddie. I just adore him. He went from a single minded junkie to a hero who fought, loved and died all honorably.

Its those underdog stories that always get me, the reason I hope for Robert Downey Jr to get an oscar, the reason I always fall in love with the runt of the litter, the reason I call Lance Armstrong a hero. People who overcome horrible things and go on to try to lead better, stronger, more impactful lives. Those are the ones I love!

Of course, Oy holds a special place in my heart, as every animal in any story always does (except maybe Cujo!). The loyal, unconditional love of a good animal is something I can't help but get all mushy over.

Wuducynn
09-23-2008, 06:13 AM
Well, at least three other folk on here have some taste.

Jon
09-24-2008, 12:14 AM
Well, at least three other folk on here have some taste.

The word "other" implies that you have taste, jackass!

Oy is the shit. I love animals...especially when I am lonely and the farmer is asleep!

Wuducynn
09-24-2008, 06:09 AM
Yep. That was the implication.

ladykatherine
09-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Though I wanted to vote for Roland, I can't lie to myself.
I chose Eddie.
He reminds me of my dad, and I guess I just hope my dad can become as strong as Eddie did someday...

Myste
10-06-2009, 08:52 AM
Tough battle between Roland and Eddie... But Eddie is kinda fav for me so I voted for him.

Letti
10-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Thanks for voting, Myste.
I see still Roland takes the cake. :)

Lily-sai
10-09-2009, 05:04 AM
Oy. He is my favorite non-human character EVER - and one of my favorites among humans, too. I believe Henry Leyden would have loved Oy. :)

Jean
10-09-2009, 05:10 AM
Oy. He is my favorite non-human character EVER - and one of my favorites among humans, too. I believe Henry Leyden would have loved Oy. :)
a very keen observation! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif

fernando1
10-09-2009, 05:21 AM
favorite character is roland
the one i relate most is eddie

Mark
10-09-2009, 08:29 AM
Roland. He's a badass, and the one who was in the journey from start to finish.

Melike
10-09-2009, 08:54 AM
Roland. I'm in love with the way he is in love with the Tower.

Flavio
03-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Voted for Jake... reminds me of... well... ME.
I can not belive that you peaple like Oy (Acho, in Spanish...Boy=Muchacho/ Oy=Acho) more than the poor Susannah... I think you are discriminating her...
:nope: I can not belive it...
Oy is my second... Sussanah the third, Roland fourh and Eddie... poor Eddie... the last one. ><

Letti
03-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Voted for Jake... reminds me of... well... ME.
I can not belive that you peaple like Oy (Acho, in Spanish...Boy=Muchacho/ Oy=Acho) more than the poor Susannah... I think you are discriminating her...
:nope: I can not belive it...
Oy is my second... Sussanah the third, Roland fourh and Eddie... poor Eddie... the last one. ><

I don't really get this. Susannah is after Oy in your list, too. :confused:

Yaksha
10-20-2010, 04:31 AM
Eddie. I identify with Eddie. I understand him.

LadyHitchhiker
10-23-2010, 05:13 AM
Eddie Dean, you are my favorite. Followed closely by Oy, of course.

candy
10-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Oy loyal and fierce for always

Closely followed by eddie dean

RainInSpain
10-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Roland, no question about that.

Letti
10-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Roland, no question about that.

I will give the same answer as long as I live. :)

Girlystevedave
10-23-2010, 04:41 PM
^ Agreed. :)

Roland is not just my favorite from the ka-tet, but my favorite character ever created in a fictional universe. I love him so much that I sometimes can't fall in love with characters from "new" stories because I can't NOT compare them to Roland. :lol:

wishfulthinking
10-23-2010, 06:47 PM
while Roland is the greatest bad ass Eddie wins for me mostly because though Roland can kill an entire town by himself Eddie was in a firefight naked that takes alot of guts

pathoftheturtle
10-24-2010, 12:11 PM
I don't like judging people. Which of us is really best? How do you decide? If you ask me, "Who do you like more?" I'm liable to ask back, "You mean, who's more like me?" because that's not as tough to answer. Why should one character be more important to me than others are? Is it "Which is written most believably?" That'd be interesting, but SK generally has a way with good, varied characterizations.

If I imagine them as real, then I can imagine being more attracted to some (if it's "Who would you want for your best friend?") because I do feel that with some real people more than I do with others... but it's equally important, with real people, how they feel about me, and with fictional characters, you never have more than your own guesses for that.

So... can I just say I like all of these characters in different ways? If you like them, I expect you'd like all of them. After all, they're ka-tet.

RainInSpain
10-26-2010, 06:45 AM
Interesting.
I do not think being a 'favorite' should be automatically equated to being objectively 'the best'. We choose what/who we like or dislike all the time, even subconsciously, based on our own past experience, temperament, IQ and EQ, current state of mind, and what not. It's just a coping mechanism of the human mind - it cannot process all of the incoming information at once, or is unable to draw conclusions based on insufficient information, so has to fall back on existing knowledge. At the same time, saying that someone is "the best" calls for a conscious effort and at least some sort of criteria.

I'm also not sure that the characters being ka-tet implies that everyone on the outside has to have the same kind of feelings towards each of them. Why would it be so? Yes, these five are bound by the same fate, but they do not stop being portrayed as separate individuals with different personalities.

pathoftheturtle
10-26-2010, 02:32 PM
Interesting. ...Thank you.

...I do not think being a 'favorite' should be automatically equated to being objectively 'the best'. ...Well, that was only one of the alternatives I mentioned, trying to understand to what it should be equated.

...We choose what/who we like or dislike all the time, even subconsciously, based on our own past experience, temperament, IQ and EQ, current state of mind, and what not. It's just a coping mechanism of the human mind - it cannot process all of the incoming information at once, or is unable to draw conclusions based on insufficient information, so has to fall back on existing knowledge. ...I have noticed that people do that. Just being honest about my own feelings. My life would probably be easier if my mind worked the same way. I'm probably too analytical.

...I'm also not sure that the characters being ka-tet implies that everyone on the outside has to have the same kind of feelings towards each of them. Why would it be so? Yes, these five are bound by the same fate, but they do not stop being portrayed as separate individuals with different personalities.Certainly. Also, in some senses they seem to each have different fates. Yet they share a goal. Eddie gives Roland a hard time about the Tower for a while, but in the end he supports him.Father Callahan dies proclaiming, "Roland, may you reach the Tower and climb to the top!" I was just pointing out that outsiders really are likely to have some common feeling towards all of them due to what they have in common. Like, if I asked, "Who was your favorite member of the Bush administration?" that would be assuming a few things about your political opinions, wouldn't it?
Reading back over this thread, I see I'm not the first DT fan to have trouble picking just one member of this ka-tet to be favorite.

RainInSpain
10-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Well, that was only one of the alternatives I mentioned, trying to understand to what it should be equated.

Incidentally, it was also similar to something that I had discussed with someone in RL very recently, and it kind of jumped to my eyes, so I commented.
I do have some thoughts about those other alternatives, but they are utterly unoriginal, so not exactly interesting to debate.

I have noticed that people do that. Just being honest about my own feelings. My life would probably be easier if my mind worked the same way. I'm probably too analytical.

I am sure you have.
Ability to think deeply or differently can be both a blessing and a curse (sounds rather cliche, but what can I do - no better way to say it). I am fascinated by the differences in how people's minds work, so I appreciate that you speak your mind (those are rather unorthodox thoughts, too).

Certainly. Also, in some senses they seem to each have different fates. Yet they share a goal. Eddie gives Roland a hard time about the Tower for a while, but in the end he supports him.Father Callahan dies proclaiming, "Roland, may you reach the Tower and climb to the top!" I was just pointing out that outsiders really are likely to have some common feeling towards all of them due to what they have in common. Like, if I asked, "Who was your favorite member of the Bush administration?" that would be assuming a few things about your political opinions, wouldn't it?
Reading back over this thread, I see I'm not the first DT fan to have trouble picking just one member of this ka-tet to be favorite.

(Disclaimer: all political talk below is completely hypothetical.)

Political opinions, yes. But what you say is an analogy to you asking me "Who's you favorite from the ka-tet?" and having certain assumptions about my allegiance to White rather than Red. It does not suggest anything about my attitute towards each person in particular.

Going back to the Bush administration analogy: it is not too difficult to imagine a situation where I could be a supporter of their policies and methods but dislike a certain person - e.g. a woman with whom my ex-boyfriend cheated long ago, or a man who was rude to me or to others in a parking lot fender-bender, or even someone who just seems too loud or too pushy to me. None of this would be enough to jump ship, so to speak, and become a supporter of democrats, as it would not affect my view of the party. (Perhaps with time it might - if there is a critical mass of such dislikes, but that's a different matter.)

So it's the same here: I can dislike Susannah but still like the rest of the ka-tet and even have a favorite among them.

I'm not saying that everyone must be able to pick a favorite, rather, I'm curious why people cannot or don't want to do so.

pathoftheturtle
10-27-2010, 01:26 PM
...what you say is an analogy to you asking me "Who's you favorite from the ka-tet?" and having certain assumptions about my allegiance to White rather than Red. It does not suggest anything about my attitute towards each person in particular. ...To me, it does, because, with characters that have allegiances to the Red rather than the White, that has everything to do with my attitude towards them. That kind of preference, I understand.
...I'm not saying that everyone must be able to pick a favorite, rather, I'm curious why people cannot or don't want to do so.It's funny, this discussion; it's not easy for me to answer you, because even as you're asking that, I'm curious to know why people do.

Letti
10-27-2010, 01:54 PM
1. So... can I just say I like all of these characters in different ways?
2. If you like them, I expect you'd like all of them. After all, they're ka-tet.

1. Of course you can.

2. I think I know where you are coming from but for my part I cannot help but I simply and honestly love Roland more than any other characters. It's not because I would like him to be my friend the most. It's not because he is more like me (in fact, the opposite). It's not because he is written more believably.
I love him more just because. That's how I feel. And this feeling is so strong I can touch/feel it as if I was touching/feeling some soft velvet.

Doe
10-28-2010, 11:55 AM
I find it impossible to pick a fravorite. Roland is so cool, but I love that sort of character in any 'Universe' But each character had respectable qualities, so picking a fravorite would be impossible I think.

RainInSpain
10-28-2010, 12:31 PM
To me, it does, because, with characters that have allegiances to the Red rather than the White, that has everything to do with my attitude towards them. That kind of preference, I understand.

This brings up another question (although since we have no common definition of 'favorite', it's pointless) - whether there can be such a thing as a 'favorite villain'. However, this is not the thread to discuss it, so I'll just leave it here as a sketch of my line of thinking, not a real question. I have no desire to sound argumentative.

It's funny, this discussion; it's not easy for me to answer you, because even as you're asking that, I'm curious to know why people do.

I can very well understand that. It would be rather difficult for me to describe what goes on in my head when I do, too.

2. I think I know where you are coming from but for my part I cannot help but I simply and honestly love Roland more than any other characters. It's not because I would like him to be my friend the most. It's not because he is more like me (in fact, the opposite). It's not because he is written more believably.
I love him more just because. That's how I feel. And this feeling is so strong I can touch/feel it as if I was touching/feeling some soft velvet.

Letti :rose:
I think there is quite a bit of rational basis to why Roland is my favorite character, but it would require such extensive analysis of my own mind and psyche that I would not even start.

pathoftheturtle
10-28-2010, 01:43 PM
1. So... can I just say I like all of these characters in different ways?
2. If you like them, I expect you'd like all of them. After all, they're ka-tet.

1. Of course you can.:) Yay! (I'm not so hard to please, after all.)

:rose: Respect, Letti.

To me, it does, because, with characters that have allegiances to the Red rather than the White, that has everything to do with my attitude towards them. That kind of preference, I understand.

This brings up another question (although since we have no common definition of 'favorite', it's pointless) - whether there can be such a thing as a 'favorite villain'. However, this is not the thread to discuss it, so I'll just leave it here as a sketch of my line of thinking, not a real question. I have no desire to sound argumentative.You don't. It is a great question, IMO. Perhaps I'll go and rant on this thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=2261) next.
...I think there is quite a bit of rational basis to why Roland is my favorite character, but it would require such extensive analysis of my own mind and psyche that I would not even start.Aww. You big tease.

RainInSpain
10-29-2010, 07:40 AM
You don't. It is a great question, IMO. Perhaps I'll go and rant on this thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=2261) next.

Thank you.
Ah, such a thread exists already; there is nothing new under the sun. Duly voted there.

Aww. You big tease.

Well, I would not completely rule out existence of this trait in my personality :innocent:
Seriously though, emotional nakedness is in some respects more difficult than physical, and this is such a convoluted question that rational and emotional are difficult to separate. Some day, perhaps.

19eye-rosecrow-gun
11-04-2010, 01:22 PM
I thought Susannah was probably my favorite. To me her character was amazingly supportive and incredibly unique, both physically and mentally. Roland is a very close second, but I love them all! I miss them.

haunted.lunchbox
11-04-2010, 01:30 PM
I thought Susannah was probably my favorite. To me her character was amazingly supportive and incredibly unique, both physically and mentally. Roland is a very close second, but I love them all! I miss them.

I can understand how some people like Susannah... I cannot understand how she can be a favorite character....

thegreattim
11-04-2010, 09:09 PM
I'm not ashamed to admit I voted for Oy. At the end during the battle with Mordred... When Oy was spiked up on the tree... that was the first time I got really emotional in all of the books.

"'Olan, 'Ake."

I think Roland kicks as lot of ass, but really, even after everything he has been through, he is still kind of a douche-bag. He'd still sell anything, betray anyone, to get to his almighty tower. The worst part is, that he makes others WANT to sacrifice themselves for him. His soul is black, I tell you. He is the most selfish character I have ever read.

If not Oy, then certainly Jake. Then Eddie, then Suse. Then, I guess, Roland.

I'm sure I'll get some flak for this one, especially being a newb. Sorry everyone!

19eye-rosecrow-gun
11-05-2010, 02:21 PM
I think Roland kicks as lot of ass, but really, even after everything he has been through, he is still kind of a douche-bag. He'd still sell anything, betray anyone, to get to his almighty tower. The worst part is, that he makes others WANT to sacrifice themselves for him. His soul is black, I tell you. He is the most selfish character I have ever read.

I'm sure I'll get some flak for this one, especially being a newb. Sorry everyone!

I certainly hope you don't get any flak, as you call it. Anyone can choose what character they like. Oy was a good character, and for once he is a furry little animal which I did not want killed.

pathoftheturtle
11-05-2010, 02:33 PM
I think he means flak for criticising Roland: too much of a newbie to realize that that's practically the official sport of this community.

thegreattim
11-05-2010, 08:15 PM
I think he means flak for criticising Roland: too much of a newbie to realize that that's practically the official sport of this community.

Wait, the official sport is flaking newbs? Or the official sport is being critical of Roland? :beat:

Jean
11-06-2010, 12:52 AM
the latter http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_angelic.gif

candy
11-06-2010, 02:08 AM
I'm not ashamed to admit I voted for Oy. At the end during the battle with Mordred... When Oy was spiked up on the tree... that was the first time I got really emotional in all of the books.

"'Olan, 'Ake."

Don't apologise, its your opinion:couple:
and its actually one i completly agree with - and i doubt i am the only one. Many times i wanted to reach into the pages of the book and slap him!!:shoot:

pathoftheturtle
11-06-2010, 08:13 AM

"'Olan, 'Ake."

Don't apologise, its your opinion:couple:
and its actually one i completly agree with - and i doubt i am the only one. Many times i wanted to reach into the pages of the book and slap him!!:shoot:Glad you didn't... we'd never have gotten to know you.

tim: Yeah, the latter. People here are really quite hospitable. Welcome to the site! :)

thegreattim
11-06-2010, 08:15 AM
the latter http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_angelic.gif

Oh hey! Now I don't feel so bad! :)

thegreattim
11-06-2010, 08:19 AM
...Many times i wanted to reach into the pages of the book and slap him!!:shoot:

Hehe! That mental image made me laugh. I can only imagine what Roland would do to someone who backhanded him. :lol:

Jean
11-06-2010, 09:11 AM
he wouldn't do anything to my Candylove. He sure knows better than that.

Letti
11-06-2010, 11:09 AM

"'Olan, 'Ake."

New bs = new friends.
Welcome to the site.
Feel free to tear apart Roland but so many people have done it already that there isn't much left of him. ;)

Jean
03-10-2013, 10:39 PM
resurrecting and bumping it for all the new people who haven't had a chance to answer this question yet

Ben Staad
03-10-2013, 11:59 PM
Thanks, Bears! I voted for Roland with Jake very close behind. He stood out to me because of his singularity and commitment to his quest. A true (but self imposed) martyr whose attitude and behavior I can sympathize with. Out of the group he may have been the most messed up one.

Merlin1958
03-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Eddie

Stebbins
03-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Susannah getting no love haha (I voted Eddie; Roland a close second)

Jean
03-17-2013, 11:51 PM
Susannah getting no love haha
Except from bears and five more freaks.

Ben Staad
03-18-2013, 12:30 AM
I already cast my vote but I will say that this story (to me) could not have been possible without all of the characters listed in the poll. With that in mind all 5, as a group, are truly my favorite.

Jean
03-18-2013, 12:32 AM
very true

Deaf&Dumb
05-21-2014, 07:53 AM
Who is your favorite?
Roland is the obvious choice for my favorite character in the series.

Who is closest to your heart from the ka-tet?
Eddie is the one I can relate to the most, from addiction, to being a smartass, and many other aspects of his life.

For the poll I voted Mr Dean.

stroppygoblin
05-21-2014, 08:08 AM
Lovin the old stuff thats getting resurrected :thumbsup:

Tough choice. I voted Roland as Favourite. Thought process as follows:

Eddie - I'm a lot like Eddie ('cept for the drug addiction bit :orely:), It's hard to love yourself
Susannah - What a woman, but waaay to much psychological drama's for this simple man
Jake - Oh so close to choosing Jake, If he was my son I would be as proud as hell, He definitely wins closest to my Heart
Oy - He already chose Jake and could never have another master. Also I have my own Oy (although my family made me call him 'Max')

Which Leaves Roland. For all his flaws, he is infinitely interesting. I'd drop everything and join his Ka-tet in a heartbeat.

Girlystevedave
05-21-2014, 08:13 AM

Which Leaves Roland. For all his flaws, he is infinitely interesting. I'd drop everything and join his Ka-tet in a heartbeat.

Agree.
And agree. :)

thegunslinger41
05-21-2014, 08:25 AM

Tough choice. I voted Roland as Favourite. Thought process as follows:

Eddie - I'm a lot like Eddie ('cept for the drug addiction bit :orely:), It's hard to love yourself
Susannah - What a woman, but waaay to much psychological drama's for this simple man
Jake - Oh so close to choosing Jake, If he was my son I would be as proud as hell, He definitely wins closest to my Heart
Oy - He already chose Jake and could never have another master. Also I have my own Oy (although my family made me call him 'Max')

Sorry Stroppygob... I have the real OYE!

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r485/thegunslinger41/meboyz_zps7e6b2008.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/thegunslinger41/media/meboyz_zps7e6b2008.jpg.html)

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-21-2014, 08:45 AM
Its Jake for me.

The Gasherman
08-09-2016, 05:41 PM
I loved Detta, but Suze was boring AF

Sai Sheb
08-10-2016, 12:24 AM
I love all of them just in different ways! Roland is a prick but he is also a very likable charismatic prick.
Eddie (who I voted for) had to fight to get to where he is, and the use of comedy just at the wrong time is a life long spanking paddle!
Susannah is a strong woman who's had a lot to over come but she fucked up!!! I dated a girl with split personality disorder she didn't know if she was coming or going!
Jake... what can you say about a boy who can forgive after being dropped???? Strong spirit...
And Oy, I love my dogs and loved Oy! I cried for him when he was sat next to Jake's grave..

dungdn93
08-18-2016, 02:25 AM
I love all of them! Roland is one of the charismatic character is very likable. Eddie had to fight to get the position. And the construction of a paddle comedy of life!