PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Horror Movies Of The 80's

bergy81
03-07-2008, 03:45 AM
Some of the best horror movies ever made are from the 1980s. What are your favorites? A few of mine are the Demons movies, Phantasm, Re-Animator
and scanners.

Ruthful
03-07-2008, 04:03 AM
Cat's Eye, The Shining, The Twilight Zone, Goonies, Gremlins, Critters, among others.

TerribleT
03-07-2008, 04:32 AM
Alien has to get mentioned here.

Erin
03-07-2008, 05:32 AM
oooo the VHS cover to Critters used to give me nightmares as a kid. Seeing it in the store would really freak me out.

Ruthful
03-07-2008, 05:44 AM
oooo the VHS cover to Critters used to give me nightmares as a kid. Seeing it in the store would really freak me out.

CRITES!

http://www.clubdesmonstres.com/critters.gif

I love that movie.

Erin
03-07-2008, 05:47 AM
AHHHH! :panic: :lol:

Seriously, I used to have a recurring dream where i'm in my family's car and my mom and dad are pushing it to start it rolling down a hill. Then they wave at me as I'm screaming for them to stop. I roll into a junkyard and I get out, only to be chased over tin cans and trash by one of those Critter monsters!

And I'd never seen the movie back then, only the freaking pictures on the video covers!

Ruthful
03-07-2008, 06:01 AM
They are horrifingly ugly, aren't they?

Wuducynn
03-07-2008, 06:26 AM
Prince of Darkness, which I saw in the theaters twice. One of the best lines in horror movies is in it..

"I've got a message for you, and you're not going to like it...

Pray for death"

Mattrick
03-07-2008, 06:45 AM
Nightmare movies
Evil Dead 2 (original too)
The Shining
Alien
Aliens

Though early 90's I'd like to give a shout out to In The Mouth of Madness *props Sam Niell* and Alien 3*props Sam Niell*

mia/susannah
03-07-2008, 06:45 AM
My favorite horror film from the 80's is the shining. I also enjoyed Aliens, never saw critters, I will try to find the movie and watch it. Sounds very interesting.

Wuducynn
03-07-2008, 06:57 AM
In The Mouth of Madness

One of my favorite horror movies :thumbsup:

Odetta
03-07-2008, 07:37 AM
anything by John Carpenter!

Wuducynn
03-07-2008, 07:42 AM

*tacks on another reason to like Odetta*

Odetta
03-07-2008, 07:47 AM

*tacks on another reason to like Odetta*

:blush:

It's true, tho! I was/am a huge Carpenter fan. The Fog is one of my all-time faves!
WHen I was a teenager, I learned how to play all of John Carpenter's movie themes on the piano and I strung them all together and made a 'medley' of horror movie themes. It's sad to say, I think I could still remember how to play it!

Wuducynn
03-07-2008, 07:52 AM
And In The Mouth of Madness is one of my favorite movies period

You can't beat when the demons win in the end, it just never happens that way in most movies

Girlystevedave
03-07-2008, 07:58 AM
Well I grew up on The Nightmare On Elm Street movies...so those are probably my favs.

Erin
03-07-2008, 07:59 AM
I just love the Friday the 13th movies. I don't care how cheesy they are, that's just good fun horror right there. One of my friends just got the boxed set on DVD and we've been watching them. Parts 2 and 3 are my favorite.

Wuducynn
03-07-2008, 08:10 AM
I never liked the Friday the 13th movies not because of the cheese element just because they're never scared me. Plus the whole slasher movie thing was just over done in the 80's, even as a teen I got worn out with them. "Which Jason/Michael movie is this one now?" :lol:

Erin
03-07-2008, 08:12 AM
Oh yea, there's like a million of them.

Girlystevedave
03-07-2008, 08:15 AM
I thought of more: Silver Bullet, The Hitcher

Erin
03-07-2008, 08:32 AM
The Exorist 3 was a kinda crappy movie, but it has the scariest movie scene I've ever seen in it.

The first time I saw this scene, I was so startled and scared, I screamed out loud. I just think it's so creepy how it comes out of nowhere, and the music, and the creepy image of the statue with no head. ::shudders::

YouTube - Exorcist III - Nurse Station Scene

LadyHitchhiker
03-07-2008, 08:47 AM
How about Phantasm?

Wuducynn
03-07-2008, 09:34 AM
Exorcist 3 crappy??? Its up there with the first in awesomeness in my not-so humble opinion. Actually 1 and 3 are the only ones of those movies that I like.

TerribleT
03-07-2008, 10:31 AM

The Thing!!!!!!

Especially the part where they put the paper clip in the blood!!!!

:scared:

Odetta
03-07-2008, 10:33 AM

The Thing!!!!!!

oh, yeah, I loved that movie!

I really liked The Hitcher as well, girly!

She-Oy
03-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Anyone remember House (Ding Dong Your Dead)? I used to love that movie! That one and the one about the giant pit/portal to hell in the backyard of some random house. I think the parents were out of town for the weekend and the kids found it or something...damn, can't remember the name of it..help!

Odetta
03-07-2008, 10:50 AM
That's not Poltergeist, is it?

Girlystevedave
03-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Anyone remember House (Ding Dong Your Dead)? I used to love that movie! That one and the one about the giant pit/portal to hell in the backyard of some random house. I think the parents were out of town for the weekend and the kids found it or something...damn, can't remember the name of it..help!

I was talking about this the other day. I think it was called "The Gate." Does that seem right?

Wuducynn
03-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Oh I totally forgot about The Gate.

Iwritecode
03-07-2008, 11:28 AM
That one and the one about the giant pit/portal to hell in the backyard of some random house. I think the parents were out of town for the weekend and the kids found it or something...damn, can't remember the name of it..help!

I remember that movie a little bit. There was a part in the movie where the phone rings and one of the kids picks it up and there's this gravely voice that says "You've been BAADDD!"

She-Oy
03-07-2008, 03:06 PM

I was talking about this the other day. I think it was called "The Gate." Does that seem right?

YES!!! That's it! I think there is a dog in that movie too, maybe the dog falls into "the gate"...can't remember. I think I am going to have go rent that movie now!!!

Girlystevedave
03-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Weren't there some kind of little monsters running around in that movie or something?

Heather19
03-07-2008, 03:25 PM
Yep, it's The Gate. That was a great movie.
Also liked the Evil Dead movies,
The Shining
The Lost Boys
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Poltergeist

Wuducynn
03-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Poltergeist II and Lost Boys

Ruthful
03-07-2008, 09:57 PM
...never saw critters...

:onfire:

Wuducynn
03-07-2008, 10:17 PM
I never saw Critters either. It looked pretty stupid. Loved Gremlins though.

fernandito
03-07-2008, 10:59 PM

The Thing!!!!!!

That scene is on a level of it's own. I love that movie.

Ruthful
03-08-2008, 05:13 AM

Critters was actually written before Gremlins, supposedly. The only reason people think Critters is a ripoff of the latter is because it was released subsequent to Gremlins. It's a great movie though. Even the first sequel is worth watching, IMO. After that it pretty much mirrors The Terminator franchise, i.e. suck.

Woofer
03-08-2008, 06:02 AM
John Carpenter's The Thing is my horror yardstick.

AND IT HAS SIBERIAN HUSKIES AND A WOLFDOG! Oops, sorry, got excited for a moment. But they're so beautiful.

Anyway, that one scene, while extremely cool, breaks my heart (as does the follow-up scene).

RIP Jed
1977 - 1995

http://www.outpost31.com/images/misc/jed.jpg

Girlystevedave
03-08-2008, 08:12 AM

Maybe it's just me, but I never thought of Gremlins as a scary movie.

Girlystevedave
03-08-2008, 08:13 AM

The Thing!!!!!!

Paper clip...:lol:

TerribleT
03-08-2008, 08:15 AM

The Thing!!!!!!

Wut!?!?!?! Is it not a paper clip?

Girlystevedave
03-08-2008, 08:22 AM

The Thing!!!!!!

No, I'm not saying it's not. I'm laughing at Feev's reply....too much to explain.

TerribleT
03-08-2008, 08:27 AM

The Thing!!!!!!

No, I'm not saying it's not. I'm laughing at Feev's reply....too much to explain.

Actually, the more I think about it, it's not. I think it's a roll of wire. Either way, that scene scared the crap out of me.

fernandito
03-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Isn't it the needle that they used to get the blood samples with?

Lance
03-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Rutgar Haur is one of the coolest villans of all time. And I love The Thing also. My favorite was the scene where the doc tries to use the paddles and the stomach turns into a mouth and bites his arms off.

Another fav from the '80's: Return Of The Living Dead. The tar man scared the shit out of me.

Wuducynn
03-08-2008, 11:35 AM

It wasn't.

RUBE
03-08-2008, 11:55 AM

It wasn't.

That doesn't mean it wasn't good though.

Wuducynn
03-08-2008, 01:31 PM

Critters was actually written before Gremlins, supposedly. The only reason people think Critters is a ripoff of the latter is because it was released subsequent to Gremlins. It's a great movie though. Even the first sequel is worth watching, IMO. After that it pretty much mirrors The Terminator franchise, i.e. suck.

I don't care if it was a rip-off or not, I never mentioned anything about rip-offs. I just thought the movie looked stupid. I saw the second Gremlins movie but I don't remember much about it, so that can't be a good sign.

Woofer
03-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Drinking coffee and trying to overcome my zombification. Sheesh.

The Gate also had the cool model rocket scene. You all know what I mean.

The Thing - it was definitely a roll of wire MacReady was heating to stick in the blood in the petri dishes. I've always wondered why he continues to hold them in his hand while testing after the Palmer's blood takes evasive action.

I have to second Re-Animator and throw out From Beyond as well. Pineal gland on steroids, baby.

The Evil Dead movies, obviously, because Bruce is the man. Nice boomstick.

More to come...

bergy81
03-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Wow, nobodys mentioned John Carpenters "They Live".
"Ive come here to do two things, Kick Ass, and chew bubblegum..and Im all out of bubblegum"

bergy81
03-09-2008, 10:48 AM
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii49/pachkenum/obey.jpg

LadyHitchhiker
03-14-2008, 02:22 PM
They Live kicked butt!

bergy81
03-14-2008, 10:28 PM
It also had one of the best fight scenes of all time.

LadyHitchhiker
03-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Roddy Piper is awesome!