PDA

View Full Version : How the bluest hell does Roland know that movie???

Letti
03-06-2008, 01:10 PM
Okay. Just to fresh your memories...

In the Wolves when Roland Eddie and Jake visit the rose Susannah doesn't go with them because she is afraid of the rose or more exactly Mia is so they stay far away from it.
When the guys get lost deep in the rose Susannah starts to screem (because she is seeing dead walking people) and they all go back to her. She tells them that she lost 7 minutes and she was afraid that she was going to get mad
BUT
or dear Roland knows that's not what she really is afraid of. She is afraid of to be devided again.
And as they are talking about the lost time and the rose...

(word by word from the book):
"It's the best thing in the world," Jake said, low.
"In all the worlds," Roland said. Would it ease Eddie and Jake to know that this particular time-slip had probaby been in Susannah's head? That Mia had come out for 7 minutes, had a look around, and then dived back into her hole like Punxsutawney Phil on Groundhog Day? Probably not. But he saw on thing in Susannah's haggard face: she either knew what was going on or suspected very strongly.

Okay. I have just one very simple question.
Above we can read Roland's thoughts. Am I right?
How the blue hell does Roland know that movie, Groundhog Day? Did he see it in the cinema or how??

*edit*
If you all say they are not his thoughts but King's words I might be able to accept that but to me they sound like Roland's thoughts absolutely.

TerribleT
03-06-2008, 01:20 PM
Just my opinion, but I don't think it says he knows the movie. I'm reading it as King talking to the readers.

Letti
03-06-2008, 01:22 PM
I am thinking about the same but to me they do sound like Roland's thoughts. I might be stupid to think that but believe it I thought of that as well.
If you all say they are not Roland's thoughts I might get convinced.

alinda
03-06-2008, 01:26 PM
I agree with that assessment, its like a voice over
in a film. King is asking us a question, and making a
statement on Susannahs current condition.
Its just ENGLISH , written King style.

Letti
03-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Okay guys, you are the native speakers so I believe you. Thank you for your answers.
And I feel much better.
Thanks. :rose:

(Maybe I shouldn't put Roland into the center of my universe so much.)

alinda
03-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Well hell Letti, we've all been reading/rereading
Rolands world for soooo long, thinking, speaking,
discussing (daily for the most part) and otherwise
being drenched by the DT, it wouldnt do at all to
stop now....besides we'd miss you so stay ok? :rose:

Rjeso
03-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Also, Phil isn't something made up for the movie - the city of Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, actually has a groundhog named Phil that they bring out each February 2nd. If Roland's world is our own in the distant future, it is possible that the legend and story of Phil have lived on. Who knows? I surely don't, but I did want to let you know that it isn't just from a movie. :)

Letti
03-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Thanks Laura.
How long can such a groundhog live? That movie is quite old. :)

MonteGss
03-06-2008, 04:25 PM
Groundhogs live for a thousand years. :D
I also thought that part was King talking to the reader.

Samanthita
03-06-2008, 04:42 PM
I never noticed that before now. I'd have to agree though, it's not Roland. But I'm not sure it's King either. I always felt that sometimes King didn't write the characters thoughts, or his own. He wrote the reader's thoughts, or what he felt they should be.

Matt
03-06-2008, 04:55 PM
I can see Roland hearing tales of Groundhog day (not the movie, the day itself with the groundhog above)

But I think it was the narrator too.

Woofer
03-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Also, Phil isn't something made up for the movie - the city of Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, actually has a groundhog named Phil that they bring out each February 2nd. If Roland's world is our own in the distant future, it is possible that the legend and story of Phil have lived on. Who knows? I surely don't, but I did want to let you know that it isn't just from a movie. :)

Thanks Laura.
How long can such a groundhog live? That movie is quite old. :)

Average lifespan is 8 - 9 years, but I think every time "Phil" dies they name the new groundhog Phil, too.

I agree that it sounds like Roland, but I attribute it to the same crossing of worlds that gives us "Hey Jude" and The Man Jesus, to name two.

Letti
03-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Thank you guys for the answers. The more I read it the more it sounds like King and not Roland.

Ruthful
03-07-2008, 05:02 AM
There's also Staten Island Chuck, The Big Apple's less-glamorous counterpart to the keystone state's most famous rodent.

Groundhog Day is an American-specific holiday I believe, while the film Groundhog Day is, evidently, a global phenomenon.

:)

BTW, I agree with the comments above. I think this passage was written from the point of view of the omniscient narrator.

mia/susannah
03-07-2008, 06:53 AM
I have to agree with all of you. I believe that was just King writing for the audience

Brice
03-07-2008, 07:28 AM
I believe they were Phil's thoughts.

Letti
03-07-2008, 08:17 AM
This thread is going to the Clearing verrry soon. :)

LadyHitchhiker
03-07-2008, 08:30 AM
I actually owuld like to think that Roland would have a legen of Phil in his world... wouldn't that be cool?