PDA

View Full Version : So Long and Thanks For All the Fish

jayson
12-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Aside from Sai King, Douglas Adams is perhaps my favorite author. I am sure many others here have read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. Has anybody else read Adams' Dirk Gently series - Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul? I love the first book and re-read it at least once a year for some good laughs.

LadyHitchhiker
03-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Thought it was about zarking time we had a Douglas Adams thread. Come one come all you fabulous Hitchhikers you!!! Tell of the splendor Of douglas Adams from all his radio views to his video games... Please share and enjoy!!!
:thumbsup:

jayson
03-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Liz - I know that like me you are a big fan of HHGTTG, but have you read the Dirk Gently series as well? I think those are also hilarious and great reads, very Douglas Adams.

LadyHitchhiker
03-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Absolutely! I have read everything of DA's that I can get my hands on!!!! Have you? What do you like about them? Please! Let's discuss!

jayson
03-04-2008, 01:24 PM
i love the interweaving storylines in the Dirk Gently novels, they seem random and unrelated until Dirk brings them altogether to "solve" the cases. i also love the way he describes music, particularly classical music in the first book [DG's Hollistic Detective Agency]. the language he uses is just brilliant. i will have to find the exact wording another time.

LadyHitchhiker
03-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Yes! Quotes are loved! But I agree.. I think that the use of a holistic detective was brilliant and groundbreaking and I really wish that Douglas Adams didnt' love the sound of whooshing deadlines going by so much or else he may have very well have concluded the series or at least written another installment for us.... :(

He is my favorite detective.

Next, Sam & Max

next Harry Dresden from Dresden Files...

(I didn't include Mulder and Scully in here because they're not primarily detectives even though that is in their job description.. they are feebs...)

Ruthful
03-04-2008, 05:46 PM
The Dirk Gently novels and Starship Titanic are the only novels he wrote that I haven't really gotten into, although I do have The Dirk Gently series somewhere on my bookshelf, waiting to be picked up. I'm still not convinced that he became an athiest because of Richard Dawkins. It seems as if you were going to make such a momentous decision you'd have to be persuaded by someone more compelling than a carnival barker when it comes to epistemological/philosophical matters.

The thing I loved about Douglas Adams was his way of framing subjects in a way that at first glance might seem flippant or silly, but when you begin to excavate beyond the surface are quite insightful. There's a great video on Google-I have no idea of it's still up-of a documentary hosted by DA where he explains the fabric of the World Wide Web at a time when it was used almost exclusively by academic researchers. Very interesting stuff.

R.I.P.

LadyHitchhiker
03-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Actually Douglas Adams did not write the Starship Titanic. They are all his ideas but they were put together by Terry jones... A Monty Monty Python man... but I've been playing the game..

I liked the book but the game is tough and frustrating at points and silly and monty pythonesque in others...

"The thing I loved about Douglas Adams was his way of framing subjects in a way that at first glance might seem flippant or silly, but when you begin to excavate beyond the surface are quite insightful." <-0---- I love this quote and this is the type of person I hope others see me as. :D

Ruthful
03-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Definitely.

I do remember Terry Jones's name on the cover-and the fact that there was some sort of game included-but I figured they were co-authors. I don't remember when the book was actually published. The mid to late-90s?

I don't know. It seemed to sci-fiish to me.

LadyHitchhiker
03-04-2008, 09:17 PM
The story actually doesn't have much to do with the game.. I was disappointed when I started playing the game because I was hoping the characters in the book would be in the game :(

Yeah well we know how Douglas Adams liked to have deadlines whoosh by and he was working on trying to make THHGTTG into this big movie so Terry jones agreed to do it under one condition. He had to be completely sans clothes when he was writing this for Douglas Adams (with his approval and help of course) and I guess they both should be attributed to Starship Titanic though Terry jones is very big about giving DA more of the credit.

Ruthful
03-04-2008, 10:16 PM
LOL.

LadyHitchhiker
03-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Douglas Adams could live 300 more years and I bet he still wouldn't finish all his stories because of the whoosh of deadlines.. *shakes head* But I would love to have waited and read more of his great writing. They just don't make people like that every day... and if they do then they end up corrupting them with ... stupid stuff.

No sci-fi humor is not stupid stuff for you skeptics out there....

Sooooo I've been antagonizing the bots on Starship Titanic with a list I found on the internet but so far nothing really funny... I'd hate to leave spoilers on the game here, but there does happen to be an avian fellow in the game!!!

Anyone else played it?

LadyHitchhiker
03-20-2008, 02:26 PM
I guess not... I never did get the hang of Thursdays... *grumble*

LadyHitchhiker
05-17-2008, 01:12 PM
I have to take this picture off my sig but isn't this great?!??!
[CENTER]http://www.towel.org.uk/images/d/d2/Quotation_towel_wb.jpg

MonteGss
05-17-2008, 03:01 PM
I have read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. I really enjoyed them. I bought the Ultimate Edition which contains all of the books and one story. I have so many other books to read that I am forcing myself to read them all one at a time..in between other novels I have to read. Anyway, nothing but good things to say so far. I am looking forward to learning more about the Question and the Answer. :)

LadyHitchhiker
05-17-2008, 03:16 PM
*gasps* I knew there was other reasons I liked you Monte!!!! :D

jayson
05-17-2008, 03:55 PM
Glad to hear Monte. I love the series and re-read often. Douglas Adams is among the funniest people ever. I know you are a big fan of audiobooks. You should try to get a hold of the audio version of the series as read by Adams himself. It's that much funnier hearing him read it as he knows exactly how to time the jokes.

MonteGss
05-17-2008, 03:56 PM
:lol:

Yeah...Dark Tower..XFiles, Hitchhikers...wait Liz....I've never seen you in the Whedonverse thread. :( Shame one you! :lol:

MonteGss
05-17-2008, 03:57 PM
Glad to hear Monte. I love the series and re-read often. Douglas Adams is among the funniest people ever. I know you are a big fan of audiobooks. You should try to get a hold of the audio version of the series as read by Adams himself. It's that much funnier hearing him read it as he knows exactly how to time the jokes.

I will look into this. I haven't noticed them on iTunes though...
I'll look on eBay. Thanks! :D

theBeamisHome
06-17-2008, 01:28 PM
I have the Ultimate Guide too Monte!! It's hard bound in like a black almost leathery thing with gold trim on the pages.. almost like an old school Bible..lol.. But I've read them over and over.. the page-long analysis of the importance of a towel is pure genius.. i was crying laughing..

MrsSmeej
06-17-2008, 03:28 PM
I've always thought that (other than the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything) my most favorite bit was God's final message to his creation. That and Wonko the Sane... Ohhh, and the creation story... And the elephant's last thoughts... Adams was brilliant.

jayson
06-17-2008, 04:01 PM
i particularly liked the Total Perspective Vortex and any scene involving Marvin

theBeamisHome
06-18-2008, 03:47 AM
the elephants last thought? do you mean the whale? i thought that was great.. and the bowl/rabbit/fly/bunches of other things that Arthur killed part.. great.. Marvin was genius. although the movie wasn't really like the book (that's how Adams wanted it anyway) i loved that Alan Rickman was Marvin. I love that guys voice.

LadyHitchhiker
06-18-2008, 05:14 AM
I really think Douglas Adams liked the constantly evolving incarnations of his wonderful beautiful Hitchhiker's Guide but I haven't found a quote saying such...

jayson
06-18-2008, 05:16 AM
i think the very fact that it was Adams himself who made the changes for the movie illustrate that point

theBeamisHome
06-18-2008, 05:16 AM
the quote is in the intro that he wrote for the ultimate guide that i have... but idk where my book is... at my aunts house i think.

LadyHitchhiker
06-18-2008, 05:10 PM
DA was a big evolutionist...

theBeamisHome
06-19-2008, 04:14 AM
and a radical atheist i think he called himself..

LadyHitchhiker
06-19-2008, 05:30 AM
Yes.... He did not believe in the big G-man...

Bumbler
06-29-2008, 11:05 AM
I must say that all my friends love Adams's style of writing. I, however, have never been able to get into it. I know that I should love these books, but I am just unable to read them.

LadyHitchhiker
06-29-2008, 11:06 AM
I unfortunately beat you R of G... there's already a thread...

So Long and thanks for all the fish is the name of it...

But I agree with absolutely everything that you said.

Darkthoughts
06-29-2008, 11:44 AM
:lol: I think Jayson made his first - his was started in 2007 ;) I'll see if we can have a merge :thumbsup:

I bought Dirk Gently's Hollistic Detective Agency on audio yesterday and listened to it at work today. It's a dramatized version and is very good. Harry Enfield, a British comedian plays Dirk, and Billy Boyd (of LotR fame) plays Richard...highly recommend it!

LadyHitchhiker
06-29-2008, 11:49 AM
That sounds awesome!!!!

Darkthoughts
06-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Totally is! I can burn you a copy if you like - pm me if you want one :couple:
I'm going for Stephen Fry reading Hitchiker's Guide next :cool:

LadyHitchhiker
06-29-2008, 12:53 PM
You rule beyond any words!!!!

jayson
06-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Totally is! I can burn you a copy if you like - pm me if you want one :couple:
I'm going for Stephen Fry reading Hitchiker's Guide next :cool:

I bet Fry's reading is awesome. The audio version I have is DNA himself, which is cool beyond words. There's also a version read by Martin Freeman [who played Arthur in the movie] which I have yet to hear but would love to.

That version of Dirk Gently sounds very cool too Lisa.

I think I've mentioned this before in some thread or another, but I'm not above repeating myself... for those of you who really love Douglas Adams, I HIGHLY recommend the novels of John Swartzwelder. If the name sounds familiar it is because Swartzwelder has been a writer for The Simpsons since the start of the show. He's written more episodes than any other writer. His books, of which I believe there are now 4 are hysterically funny and remind me very much of Adams. Check him out, you won't be disappointed.

Darkthoughts
06-29-2008, 02:12 PM
I was looking for the DA narrated version, but they only have the Stephen Fry one on itunes - he sounds excellent in the preview though - but I'm a big Fry fan anyway :)

jayson
06-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Definitely. Fry is hilarious, and if you can't find the DNA version, I'm sure he is a more than adequate substitute. :)

Darkthoughts
06-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Have you read any of Fry's books?

jayson
06-29-2008, 02:20 PM
I've only read The Liar, but I loved it.

Jean
06-29-2008, 11:11 PM
I must say that all my friends love Adams's style of writing. I, however, have never been able to get into it. I know that I should love these books, but I am just unable to read them.
same here

obscurejude
06-30-2008, 06:03 PM
same here

I gave it the ol' college try but couldn't get into them either.

mia/susannah
06-30-2008, 06:27 PM
I have never read any of his books.

Darkthoughts
07-01-2008, 09:21 AM
He is awesome! Very British sense of humour - cynical, self depreciating and sarcastic - and an all round master of plots that go off on the most bizarre tangents, only to come full circle just at the point when you're sure he's lost it entirely :D

Wuducynn
07-01-2008, 04:54 PM
He is awesome! Very British sense of humour - cynical, self depreciating and sarcastic - and an all round master of plots that go off on the most bizarre tangents, only to come full circle just at the point when you're sure he's lost it entirely :D

Yeah, and I enjoy that for only so long though. I read the first two books in the Hitchhiker's series and those tangents you mention just got old to me.

Jean
07-01-2008, 09:14 PM
yes... I understand all that, but I get tired of such style very soon; it's like, you know, eating only mustard. Then, I have always found cynical/sarcastic type of humor rather cheap, say sorry... it somehow gets old for me on the fifth page (the same with Terry Pratchett, Tom Sharpe, and most of Vonnegut)

Darkthoughts
07-02-2008, 01:01 AM
I find Terry Pratchett very similar too.
And that's fine - not everyone likes that style of humour...it is after all the lowest form of wit ;) :D

Wuducynn
07-02-2008, 10:39 AM
I although I do his humor funny, its just too much of it for my taste reading through those books. Also, cynicism generally is a turn-off for me, although I do enjoy some cynical humor.

LadyHitchhiker
07-02-2008, 02:13 PM
well I must admit that everyone says I should like Terry pratchett and I just can't get into it yet..

Darkthoughts
07-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Really?! Which ones have you tried reading?

LadyHitchhiker
07-02-2008, 02:36 PM
The fifth elephant and another one... I guess I just am too far in the series to know who the characters are or what's going on... What's a good one to start with? See my brother said I didn't have to read them in order and now I'm not sure I believe him.

Darkthoughts
07-03-2008, 03:25 AM
It depends - if you're going to read the stories about Rincewind then its best to start with The Colour of Magic, which is the first discworld book.
However, I reckon you'd like Granny weatherwax and Nanny Ogg better, so you could try Wyrd Sisters which is awesome :thumbsup:

If you like that Witches Abroad and Lords and Ladies and Carpe Jugulum are stories predominantly about them too - as are (in a roundabout way) the Tiffany Aching books - The Wee Free Men, A Hatful of Sky and The Wintersmith.

Terry Pratchett also wrote Good Omens with Neil Gaiman, which is a fantastic book - and one where you don't need any previous Discworld knowledge.

LadyHitchhiker
07-03-2008, 06:18 AM
Ooooooooh I love Neil Gaiman...

Brainslinger
07-11-2008, 02:55 PM
I like Douglas Adams's books. Particularly the Hitchiker's Guide books although I wasn't that keen on the ending to the last. I read somewhere he was feeling a bit depressed when he wrote that though, and he planned to write another at some point... but then he died.

As for the Dirk Gently stories, I liked those too. They have an unfinished feel to them though, particularly the second.

I like Terry Pratchett's books a lot, but I've never felt that keen on buying them. All my exposure has been via the library, and for something fun and light to grab, they work well. Very funny in places too, they make me laugh out loud.

If you like Douglas Adams (possibly even if you don't) you might like Rob Grant and Doug Naylor's books too. They're the creators of the British Sci-fi sitcom Red Dwarf (one of my favourite shows.) They co-wrote a couple of books based on Red Dwarf together (Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers and Better than Life) and then they split and wrote a sequel novel each (Last Human Doug Naylor and Backwards Rob Grant. )

Rob Grant has written other non Dwarf novels too. Again mostly sci-fi, although Fat is mostly present day. Sort of.

LadyHitchhiker
07-12-2008, 03:23 AM
As for the Dirk Gently stories, I liked those too. They have an unfinished feel to them though, particularly the second.

I agree with you about your observations on his final books...

I like how you said the second book of the dirk gently's had an unfinished feeling to it when it says to be continued at the end.... :lol:

I wish Douglas would have lived for 120 years...

but I will try your book suggestions and am very grateful and excited to try new authors!!!!!! :D :D :D :excited: :excited:

bluelph24
07-12-2008, 07:03 AM
I, in fact, just bought from ebay the ultimate hitchikers guide for 5 bucks. you know, the edition with the five novels of the trilogy and a short story, can't remember what it was called. i'm very pleased with myself.

jayson
07-12-2008, 08:14 AM
I, in fact, just bought from ebay the ultimate hitchikers guide for 5 bucks. you know, the edition with the five novels of the trilogy and a short story, can't remember what it was called. i'm very pleased with myself.

good purchase, but it's not a trilogy, since, as you pointed out, it's five novels.

bluelph24
07-12-2008, 06:01 PM

good purchase, but it's not a trilogy, since, as you pointed out, it's five novels.

but, as i understand it, adams always jokingly referred to the 5 books as a trilogy.

jayson
07-12-2008, 06:02 PM
but, as i understand it, adams always jokingly referred to the 5 books as a trilogy.

well than that's funny :)

LadyHitchhiker
07-13-2008, 06:47 AM
My brother got me a leatherbound ultimate hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy with gold-tipped pages from the bookstore I work at and gave it to me as a VERY early birthday present. (My birthday's in October; he gave it to me in June).

It's soooo pretty.

But yes, I refer to it as the trilogy to because that's how Mr. Adams would still be referring to it... :D

LadyHitchhiker
07-13-2008, 06:48 AM
DNA loved being wholly inaccurate.

LadyHitchhiker
07-27-2008, 07:39 AM
I just wrote this today...

Arthur Dent's song, I can't wait to go home again
(to the tune of I can't wait to see you again by Miley Cyrus)

I got my sights set on you and I'm ready to blame
My ship's the heart of gold; that is it's name
I knew you were something special
When you spoke my name
Now I can't wait to go home again

I've got a way of knowing when something's not right
I feel like I must have known you in another life
Cause I felt this deep depression when you looked in my eyes
Now I can't wait to go home again

[Chorus:]
vogons came; I freaked out
I just kept looking down
I st-st-stuttered when you asked me what I'm thinking about
Felt like I couldn't breathe
You asked what's wrong with me
My best friend Ford said "Oh he never liked the Thursdays"
The next time we hang out
I will retain myself
My heart can't rest till then
Woh woh I
I can't wait to go home again

I got this crazy feeling, deep inside
When you came and asked to get some drinks now right
I'm not a mind reader but I'm reading the signs
That you can't wait to see me again

[Chorus]

I got my sights set on you and I'm ready to blame

[Chorus]

Woh woh I
I can't wait to go home again

theBeamisHome
07-27-2008, 04:01 PM
:rofl:

that just made my day

LadyHitchhiker
07-28-2008, 02:56 PM
To the tune of I wear my sunglasses at night by LadyHitchhiker and Raron, I bring my towel out at night

I bring my towel out at night
so I can
so I can
Watch you weep then read the guide's lines.
And I bring my towel out at night
so I can
so I can
Keep track of the fish inside my ear
While she's receiving me
I cut cross the galaxy
Has she got control of me? - I turn to her and say:
Don't mess with the guy who's making tea
oh no.
Don't mess with the guy with tea
oh no
I can't believe it!
You gonna mess with the guy with tea
oh no.
so I can
Forget my name while you walk through walls
so I can
so I can
See you turn into a penguin's thighs
so I can
While she's receiving me I cut cross the galaxy
. . .
oh no.
oh no
I can't believe it!
Don't be afraid of the guy with tea
oh no
it can't escape you

'cus you got it made with the guy with tea
oh no.
I said: I bring my towel out at night
I said to you now: I bring my towel out at night

I cry to you: I bring my towel out at night

LadyHitchhiker
11-14-2008, 09:50 AM
There apparently was an old mac sold to some guy and he found a bunch of douglas adams' old files on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course this is hearsay from a guy that I went to school with but the idea is mindbogglingly amazing.

SigTauGimp
11-16-2008, 12:28 AM
:excited::excited: HOW did I NOT see this thread??????

I LOVE Douglas Adams!

And "I bring my towel out at night" may just be my new anthem. :P

LadyHitchhiker
11-16-2008, 06:51 AM
Why SigTauGimp you sure know how to make a girl blush!

:worships at the shrine of DNA:

SigTauGimp
11-19-2008, 08:56 PM
*sigh*..I just finished reading The Salmon Of Doubt...and I almost wish I wouldn't have...all I could think was that it would have made a great story, from what little there was to read. All of the little interviews and quirky comments just made me all the sadder, too.

I think another reason that it depressed me is the fact that now I'm officially out of DNA stuff to read...unless I decide to re-re-re-re-read the Hitchhiker series. :P

LadyHitchhiker
11-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Or his dirk gently stuff....

But it's so sad... So little of his stuff to read.... :(

The Old Fella
11-20-2008, 04:46 PM
I loved THHGTTG series, both the books and the radio series. Except for Mostly Harmless which felt somewhat forced to me... almost as if Douglas Adams just wanted to get the series out of the way and done with. The BBC in recent years actually did more radio episodes to wrap up the series and include the later books.

As much as I enjoyed the series, I found myself far more drawn to the Dirk Gently books, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul.

Douglas Adams spent time as a script editor for the long running British sci-fi series Doctor Who (during the Tom Baker years) and those who enjoy reading about Dirk Gently might just enjoy the Tom Baker Doctor Who serial City of Death. This Doctor Who story was the original inspiration for Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and one can see Douglas Adam's humour throughout the story and the similarity in the storylines.

LadyHitchhiker
11-21-2008, 07:17 AM
:sighs: I love Douglas Adams in all his incarnations...

Let's hope he gets reincarnated :D

SigTauGimp
11-22-2008, 02:25 AM
That would make me a very, very happy panda. :rock:

LadyHitchhiker
11-22-2008, 05:44 AM
My brother would say something ridiculous now about that, like "There can be only one!" about DNA being reincarnated... but it would fill me with such joy.....

Too bad I'm not in charge of the reincarnation department... allocating souls for future endeavours...

Next time I am coming back as a pampered house cat, just to take a break, a vacation. I will be fed, and adored, and played with (if I feel like it). Oh yeah...

Of course, I wouldn't mind adopting DNA as a housecat, either... :nope: or finding out how to channel him... *sighs* I could write for him from the grave!!!!! :excited: Or not... :lol:

And I must admit to being rather excited picturing you, Sigtaugimp, running around singing parodies I made up of THGTTG...

SigTauGimp
11-23-2008, 08:36 PM
I've been humming "I Bring My Towel Out At Night" all week-end. :couple:
People have even tried to correct the lyrics once or twice...but I just say, "No, I like this version better." :P

LadyHitchhiker
11-24-2008, 06:27 AM
:excited:

That's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :excited:

razz
11-27-2008, 06:55 PM
I'm using "So long and thanks for all the fish" as the ending for my senior exit presentation.

LadyHitchhiker
11-27-2008, 07:56 PM
You're lucky I'm married or I would woo the snot out of you.

Chap
11-28-2008, 01:55 PM
I love the Hitchhiker series as well as the two books about Dirk Gently :)

SigTauGimp
11-29-2008, 12:41 AM
razz, that may be one of the coolest single moments ever.:clap:

*bows*

LadyHitchhiker
12-02-2008, 04:24 PM
I totally agree. I bow to your savvy, Razz...

JiMiTHiNG
12-28-2008, 10:10 PM
I've read the whole Hitchhikers series. And while I did enjoy parts of it quite a bit...over all I found them really over rated. There are lots of little neat parts and stuff. But overall I just don't get British humor well or something. Fun and worth reading, but over rated.

LadyHitchhiker
12-30-2008, 03:14 PM
Ummmmmmm... I thought this was a thread for exalting DA... Hmmmmmmmmm.......

My opinion is that Douglas Adams is my favorite author of all time! :P

The Cosmic Geek
01-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Glad to see there's an H2G2 thread running, love that series.

Has anyone ever read the bio of Douglas Adams by Neil Gaiman?

LadyHitchhiker
01-04-2009, 07:43 AM
I have! *waves hand wildly*

Neil Gaiman is a great author too and earns my respect because he's such an Adams fan but I mean what sane person doesn't like Douglas Adams? None I want to know.

Jean
01-05-2009, 01:09 AM
::hangs head in shame::

obscurejude
01-05-2009, 01:11 AM
:joins the bear:

Sorry Liz. I can't stand his stuff. I tried three times and I'll never do so again.

LadyHitchhiker
01-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Well I take that back.. *hugs* I will make a few exceptions... :rose:

But I :cry: since you don't enjoy him.... he writes like I do.... :(

SigTauGimp
01-06-2009, 03:57 PM
There's not too many of my friends that are a fan of him, either. :(

Our little local tribe of DA fans here are constantly trying to convert people over. :grouphug:

LadyHitchhiker
01-06-2009, 04:09 PM
We are a proud and silly bunch :D

The Cosmic Geek
01-06-2009, 06:44 PM
The Gaiman Adams bio is on my to read list.

I loved the BBC series.

LadyHitchhiker
01-07-2009, 03:04 PM
I love all incarnations of thhgttg... even the old dos game.... :excited:

The Cosmic Geek
01-07-2009, 05:41 PM
I saw a comic book of it once at Barnes and Nobles. Have you seen it and if so any good?

Have you heard about this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/sep/17/douglasadams?gusrc=rss&feed=books

LadyHitchhiker
01-08-2009, 12:07 PM
*dies*

I didn't know they had a comic book. I ... must... have .. it!

The Cosmic Geek
01-08-2009, 05:58 PM
I saw it in the graphic novel section at Barnes and Noble.

SigTauGimp
01-09-2009, 03:59 AM
*head explodes*

How did I not hear about this???:excited:

LadyHitchhiker
01-09-2009, 05:59 AM
*tries to find breath*

I feel the same way STG...

The Cosmic Geek
01-09-2009, 06:25 AM
I hope the new H2G2 book is good. So long as I have my towel all should be well though, right?

LadyHitchhiker
01-09-2009, 06:35 AM
A sixth book in our trilogy??? It'll be almost like star wars!!!!

jayson
01-09-2009, 08:08 AM
I'll be honest, I'm not particularly excited about it. Not to say I won't read it, but not being written by DNA takes a LOT out of the excitement for me. I'm not the biggest proponent of a third party taking on the characters of someone else's work, especially when that work is HGTTG.

That is not to say I won't read it. I will feel compelled to read it. I'm just opposed to the idea in general. I love the series as much as anyone but part of that is appreciating that there is no more that DNA is ever going to write about it because he's gone. It's sad but it's a fact.

LadyHitchhiker
01-12-2009, 04:46 PM
I will read it. Whether I will be in love with it. That is another story.

On the other hand I found a place to download the comic book series onto my computer and I am beginning to read those... :wub:

The Cosmic Geek
01-12-2009, 06:05 PM
What do you think of the comic so far?

jayson
03-11-2009, 04:37 AM
Today is March 11. It was DNA's birthday. Celebrate it how you see fit, but take a moment today to remember how great DNA was. :)

LadyHitchhiker
03-11-2009, 04:44 AM
I shall implement towels as much as possible on this fine day...

LadyHitchhiker
03-11-2009, 04:45 AM
Oh and the comic was a very good interpretation but I lost my download since I had to reinstall windows xp since my computer contracted 17 viruses last weekend. :(

sarajean
05-11-2009, 09:53 AM
*sigh*

8 years ago today.

i need to start a hitchhiker's guide re-read.

on a happier note, may 25th is towel day (http://www.towelday.org/).

Lily-sai
05-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Oooohhhh! I'll be picking up my favourite towel and carry it along. Fottergrafs, everyone, who'll be partaking on this cool day!

Melike
05-11-2009, 10:18 AM
==> I've already taken my towel.

*sigh*

Erin
05-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Weirdness! I just randomly picked up the book yesterday and started a re-read. Then sj informed me that today was the anniversary of Adam's death and that towel day was coming up. Bizarre! I had no idea.

LadyHitchhiker
05-11-2009, 10:42 AM
I miss him terribly. There are no other writers that come close to his combination of silliness and sci-fi. In fact, it seems nobody tries. :(

sarajean
05-11-2009, 11:45 AM
I hope the new H2G2 book is good. So long as I have my towel all should be well though, right?

A sixth book in our trilogy??? It'll be almost like star wars!!!!

I'll be honest, I'm not particularly excited about it. Not to say I won't read it, but not being written by DNA takes a LOT out of the excitement for me. I'm not the biggest proponent of a third party taking on the characters of someone else's work, especially when that work is HGTTG.

That is not to say I won't read it. I will feel compelled to read it. I'm just opposed to the idea in general. I love the series as much as anyone but part of that is appreciating that there is no more that DNA is ever going to write about it because he's gone. It's sad but it's a fact.

i was just talking to jayson about this in PM, but i really do feel that eoin colfer is one of the best choices out there for someone who could continue the story and not make it feel so fan-fic-y.

Woofer
05-11-2009, 12:25 PM
How appropriate for IFSFYD that it should also be the anniversary of his death. Certainly it was a much bigger issue for him than for any of his fans, but we can still feel sorry for ourselves for being denied more H2G2.

I shall slap Mr. Woofer with a towel as soon as I get home.

SigTauGimp
05-11-2009, 08:08 PM
I believe I may be due for a re-read myself. :D

LadyHitchhiker
05-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Woofer, I absolutely am in love with your siggy...

On a related note, today is Thursday. "I never did get the hang of Thursdays."

SigTauGimp
05-14-2009, 11:25 PM
"Do you want me to sit in the corner and rust, or just fall apart where I'm standing?"

Joined up with the Hitchhiker's lovin'. :wub:

LadyHitchhiker
05-15-2009, 04:57 AM
"You know what you've done? You've gone and killed me again. I mean, what do you want from me, blood?" -- Agrajag from the Life, the Universe and Everything.

Funny true story. I was setting up a password for the gas station's hiring program. It wouldn't work so I called the helpdesk. I gave them the password I wanted: lizblack42. And he asks me, "I know it's not really any of my business, but what's the 42 for?" I told him with a straight face sounding like I was rather too busy to be interrupted by this question but loving it anyways secretly: "It's the answer to the question of the life the universe and everything." And all he said to that was "Aw. Well it's all set up for you now."

http://otho.douban.com/lpic/s1658642.jpg
And btw this is the glorious vision of the ultimate hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy that my brother got me for my birthday last year. It's amazing!!!!!! :thumbsup:

http://pics.livejournal.com/pdx42/pic/0013eqbk/s640x480
I wish I had this towel, though... I love towels. Towels towels towels...

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/calculate_convert/toweldaywidget.html
Check this awesomeness out!!!

OMG this is what I found about a new Hitchhiker's book:

At a presentation to retailers last night, Penguin Books unveiled the cover for the newest novel in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy universe.

And Another Thing..., which will be released Oct. 12 to coincide with the 30th anniversary of the publication of the first book in the series by the late Douglas Adams, is a sequel commissioned by the publisher from Eoin Colfer. Colfer is the author of the best-selling Artemis Fowl series.

While Penguin will publish the latest book, Pan Macmillan, which was Adams' paperback publisher, will repackage his backlist, adding new introductions to the books, which will be released monthly leading up to the release of the new title.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy novels have sold more than 16 million copies worldwide.

http://scifiwire.com/assets_c/2009/03/AndAnotherThing-thumb-550x848-14565.jpg

Brice
05-15-2009, 07:10 AM
just a small nod to Mr. Adams in my sig.

As for the book Adams didn't write it. I'm pretty sure I don't want it. I do love that edition of The Hitchhiker's Guide though, Liz. I had one till during an argument someone ripped all the pages out of it. :(

And I want that damn towel NOW. <_<

LadyHitchhiker
05-15-2009, 08:13 AM
I'll give it a chance and read the new hitchhiker's book but I couldn't imagine it would be anywhere near to the glory of Douglas Adams.

And yes, I want that towel too. Now!!!!!!! :D

Melike
05-16-2009, 05:12 AM
:cool:

As for the book Adams didn't write it. I'm pretty sure I don't want it. I do love that edition of The Hitchhiker's Guide though, Liz. I had one till during an argument someone ripped all the pages out of it. :(

I don't mean to provoke you, but I'd kill that person. I swear I'd do that.

Brice
05-16-2009, 05:17 AM

Heh, Actually I did something that is even more unnerving for most people. We had been having some huge argument and I told her I wouldn't argue anymore so I picked up the book and started reading. When she tried to argue I'd just sweetly say I'm reading. I had been ignoring her and that's why she grabbed the book and tore out the pages...when she did I simply and calmly said I'd read that one before and picked up another book. THAT drove her completely fuckin' nuts. :)

Melike
05-16-2009, 05:37 AM

Actually I did something that is more unnerving for most people I had been ignoring her and that's why she grabbed the book and tore out the pages...when she did I simply and calmly said I'd read that one before and picked up another book. THAT drove her completely fuckin' nuts. :)

You and your evil heart.:huglove:

Brice
05-16-2009, 05:46 AM

Actually I did something that is more unnerving for most people I had been ignoring her and that's why she grabbed the book and tore out the pages...when she did I simply and calmly said I'd read that one before and picked up another book. THAT drove her completely fuckin' nuts. :)

You and your evil heart.:huglove:
:huglove:

LadyHitchhiker
05-16-2009, 02:46 PM
I still think she should buy you a new book!!!

candy
05-17-2009, 03:45 AM

Heh, Actually I did something that is even more unnerving for most people. We had been having some huge argument and I told her I wouldn't argue anymore so I picked up the book and started reading. When she tried to argue I'd just sweetly say I'm reading. I had been ignoring her and that's why she grabbed the book and tore out the pages...when she did I simply and calmly said I'd read that one before and picked up another book. THAT drove her completely fuckin' nuts. :)

i would have punched her with the book, if anyone ripped any of my books i would be really mad.

what did you do to her to make her do that ? or was she just a pysco? i can never spell that word

Brice
05-17-2009, 06:06 AM
I still think she should buy you a new book!!!

We don't have anything to do with each other anymore. She was once a good friend, but our friendship just decayed into nonstop arguments.

i would have punched her with the book, if anyone ripped any of my books i would be really mad.

what did you do to her to make her do that ? or was she just a pysco? i can never spell that word

Oh, during an argument I have an uncanny ability to turn nearly everyone into a stark raving lunatic. I'll build the argument to ridiculous proportions and then become calm and rational where the other person is left wanting to rip people to pieces. It's an evil little talent of mine. :lol:

Edit: It's psycho. :)

candy
05-17-2009, 06:27 AM
oh, your one of those,

on a different tangent but going back onto topic:fairy:

did you know that in the series of HHGTtG the cow in the restaurant at the end of the universe is played by peter davidson, (past dr who and husband of sandra dickinson) no? well now you do.

ps; thanks for the spelling Brice, is shall make a note in my non existent spelling diary:harrier:

Brice
05-17-2009, 06:35 AM
oh, your one of those,

on a different tangent but going back onto topic:fairy:

did you know that in the series of HHGTtG the cow in the restaurant at the end of the universe is played by peter davidson, (past dr who and husband of sandra dickinson) no? well now you do.

ps; thanks for the spelling Brice, is shall make a note in my non existent spelling diary:harrier:

Umm...yes, I can be. :lol: If it had been one of my rare or signed books I'd likely still be beating her body now...several years later. :evil:

No...no I didn't. I guess now I do. :lol: I have seen neither the movie or the BBC show.

candy
05-17-2009, 06:40 AM
both are good, the series for nostalgia reasons and for staying (ish) with the book, and the film was good for spotting the original Marvin ( saw this at the cinema and nearly got thrown out when i spotted him)

the books are better (but aren't they always) but i did like the series

oh, and remind me NEVER to get into an arguement with you Brice, i am really crap at them and tend to go all girie when I get frustrated - which frustrates me even more:pullhair:

Brice
05-17-2009, 06:42 AM
We have it here. I just haven't gotten around to watching it. We have too many movies to watch.

Brice
05-17-2009, 06:43 AM
oh, and remind me NEVER to get into an arguement with you Brice, i am really crap at them and tend to go all girie when I get frustrated - which frustrates me even more:pullhair:

Oh, then I'd turn you inot a wreck who'd be apologizing for stuff you hadn't even done. Right! We won't argue. :couple:

candy
05-17-2009, 06:53 AM
good.(breathes sigh of relief)

although ......

Brice
05-17-2009, 06:55 AM
:rofl:

sarajean
05-24-2009, 08:04 PM
happy towel day!

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o199/sarajeanm/IMG000190.jpg

ssssh. i'm hiding from the ravenous bugblatter beast of traal, which is so amazingly stupid, it believes that if you can't see it, it can't see you.

Lily-sai
05-24-2009, 08:08 PM
hahahahahaha! That's brilliant, sj! :lol: :wub:
I'll post my contribution for this great day a bit later here.

candy
05-25-2009, 01:09 AM
happy towel day peoples

turtlex
05-25-2009, 03:55 AM
happy towel day!

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o199/sarajeanm/IMG000190.jpg

ssssh. i'm hiding from the ravenous bugblatter beast of traal, which is so amazingly stupid, it believes that if you can't see it, it can't see you.

Total win... and when you're done hiding from the ravenous Bugblatter Beast... you look ready to go a couple of rounds with the next boxer who steps in the ring.

( and this is oddly sexy, so :wub: )

Melike
05-25-2009, 06:13 AM
sj :wub: This is the best towel day pic.
I am going to join you. :D

sarajean
05-25-2009, 06:44 AM
hello? towel day?

all i'm seeing is a bunch of people who don't know where their towels are.

and this saddens me.

Lily-sai
05-25-2009, 06:57 AM
Worry not, sj. Here I am, wrapping my favorite towel (bought it from Australia) round my head to ward off noxious fumes.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x231/liisasy/private/IMG_4164.jpg

Melike
05-25-2009, 07:00 AM
Yes, I know. Today I told everybody the importance of towels at work. But I am afraid they think I need a doctor.

sarajean
05-25-2009, 07:02 AM
weeeeeeeeell...since you are one... :D

and liisa, i love it!

Lily-sai
05-25-2009, 07:05 AM
sj, I was in fact amazed my mom KNEW about Towel Day! She'd just forgotten about it and got confused with my current FB status. Ah, my family never ceases to surprise me. Mom knows where her towel is. And that's all that matters for me. :lol:

LadyHitchhiker
05-25-2009, 07:32 AM
http://www.axcessmypics.com/photo/photo03/55/4c/5a801b3b0d51.jpg?th=370&tw=325&s=false

Happy Towel Day

Love and Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters,

LadyHitchhiker... :huglove: :thumbsup:

http://www.axcessmypics.com/photo/photo03/74/84/cb18f98d1746.jpg?th=370&tw=325&s=false
Here's me looking all magical with my towel and my copy of the Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy... :huglove:

btw this is my FAVORITE towel. It's a Wall-e towel... :D

jayson
05-25-2009, 07:38 AM
Ella knows where her towel is...

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/J_K_19/IMG_1931.jpg

:D

Lily-sai
05-25-2009, 08:06 AM
Oh my Gan! Ella!!! :wub: x infinity, she's SO super sweet! Can I borrow her? For a few years, maybe? :innocent:

sarajean
05-25-2009, 08:09 AM
Ella knows where her towel is...

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm26/J_K_19/IMG_1931.jpg

:D

:wub:

jayson
05-25-2009, 08:15 AM
Thanks sj & Liisa. :D

Can I borrow her? For a few years, maybe? :innocent:

We'll see if she starts acting all crazy when she turns two like they allegedly do. Right now she's too good to give up even for a minute. :D

Lily-sai
05-25-2009, 08:16 AM
*rubs her hands together* Can't wait. :lol:

LadyHitchhiker
05-25-2009, 08:51 AM
I think we need more towel pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sarajean
05-25-2009, 08:56 AM
:lol:

there are two more in the fottergrafs thread.

LadyHitchhiker
05-25-2009, 09:12 AM
I must check that out then!

candy
05-25-2009, 09:53 AM
yeah, sarajean is being greedy with 2 towels:clap:

Brice
05-25-2009, 02:13 PM
<----towelless :(

turtlex
05-25-2009, 02:18 PM
Take one of sarajean's towels, Brice.... I get to pick which.

Brice
05-25-2009, 02:21 PM
I can accept this. I trust your judgement. :couple:

turtlex
05-25-2009, 02:36 PM
As well you should. :blush:

sarajean
05-25-2009, 02:38 PM
:o

turtlex
05-25-2009, 02:40 PM
It's the price you pay for your awesomeness, sarajean. deal.

SigTauGimp
05-25-2009, 03:57 PM
My contribution to Towel Day. :D

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s245/semcbc8503/Image11.jpg

sarajean
05-25-2009, 04:02 PM

Chap
05-26-2009, 10:46 AM
my late contribution.

and also, beef.

candy
05-26-2009, 10:48 AM
:thumbsup:nice:thumbsup:

idk, my bff jill?
05-26-2009, 10:55 AM
my late contribution.

and also, beef.

¡¿Y esas fresquerías, eh?!

Nice pic, man. :thumbsup:

sarajean
05-26-2009, 11:31 AM

Chap
05-28-2009, 04:35 PM
I'm glad you lovely ladies like my towel :blush:

:wub: and :huglove: for dumma.

DOHC_Holiday
05-30-2009, 01:05 AM
I always keep a towel in my bailout bag; it's one of my main items!

razz
07-14-2009, 06:45 PM
http://www.jumbles.com/douglas_adams.htm

LadyHitchhiker
07-15-2009, 05:00 AM
Awwwwwwww... Australia...

I wonder what he would say about Michigan....

I'm sure he would mention the fact that most people don't think the Upper Peninsula is even part of Michigan let alone the United States...

Check that out for historical completeness sake:
http://www.douglasadams.com/creations/0330281216.html

LadyHitchhiker
10-09-2009, 04:29 AM
New Hitchhiker's Guide book coming out on the 12th of this month!

So :excited:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope it's great! :) But regardless, I will buy it and read it.

Jon
10-09-2009, 04:57 AM
I'm sure he would mention the fact that most people don't think the Upper Peninsula is even part of Michigan let alone the United States...

What? Everyone knows we conquered the U.P. in 1883 just after Regan instituted "Star Wars!!!

So...is the roadway still being planned to run right through my house?????

theBeamisHome
10-09-2009, 08:02 AM
*sniff* my leatherbound, gold-trimmed Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was in my car when it go stolen :cry:
it was really the only thing i was worried about when anyone asked me if there was anything important in there.

LadyHitchhiker
10-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Oh Jon... :wtf: That made me laugh out loud. But with my luck, the highway will go right through my apartment, and consequently also my mother's house! LOL

Poor poor Beamis.... that is absolutely horrible and cry-worthy.... That is one of the items I would grab if my apartment was ever on fire again.... Awww..... :(

Brice
10-11-2009, 06:12 AM

So :excited:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope it's great! :) But regardless, I will buy it and read it.

They can call it what they like, but unless Adams came back to life there will be no new hitchhiker's guide book. :nope:

Melike
10-12-2009, 03:27 AM

They can call it what they like, but unless Adams came back to life there will be no new hitchhiker's guide book. :nope:

Bricey: :couple:

Brice
10-12-2009, 03:32 AM
Melikey: :couple:

DoctorDodge
10-12-2009, 02:23 PM

Perhaps, Brice, but look on the bright side: it's written by Eoin Colfer. Now, it's been a while since I read the Artemis Fowl books, but if they're half as brilliant as I remember, I'd say that Colfer is definitely the man to write a new Hitchhiker's book and "gets" Adams brilliantly clever sense of humour.

Not that I'm saying that it would be as good as the original books. Just that it would be one of the funniest books released this year!

Slightly off topic, but if anyone is interested in more Douglas Adams, I'd definitely give the two Doctor Who stories he wrote a watch. The Pirate Planet is hilarious, bold, and brilliantly clever (with Tom Baker), and the City of Death is not only all those things and more, but is also one of the greatest. Who stories. Ever. (With Tom Baker.) If you love Hitchhiker's, you'd also love the only 2 full stories that Douglas wrote for Doctor Who. Trust me on this! :thumbsup:

LadyHitchhiker
10-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Oooooooh :drool: Douglas Adams...

DoctorDodge
10-12-2009, 02:49 PM
I do have a confession to make: although I've listened to the BRILLIANTLY random 1st radio series, I have yet to read the books. Perhaps that's to do with the fact that I've heard the books are very similar to the radio series.

Or perhaps I was feeling just...disillusioned after seeing the god-awful film that had Martin Freeman, Zooey Deyschanel AND the voice of Alan Rickman as the voice of Marvin, which should've made it nothing short of brilliant, and yet the whole movie seemed to get the whole thing...wrong somehow.

Or is that just me?

However, the movie had little to do with Douglas Adams (ironic considering that he wanted to get it made for so long), and everything I've seen and heard are brilliant, so as soon as i've finished the current pile of books I'm reading (and that's quite a big pile, another obstacle in my aim of reading all his great books before I die, as well as reading the other Artemis Fowl books) I'll definitely give them a go!

sarajean
10-12-2009, 02:51 PM
waitwaitwait. :beat:

you haven't read the books?!

DoctorDodge
10-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Well, i'm incredibly slow reader, and the past few years i've been rather distracted by reading as much Stephen King as possible.

Now, obviously, with the big fucking books that he writes, you must admit I do have a SLIGHTLY good reason for not having read the books!

jayson
10-12-2009, 03:09 PM
However, the movie had little to do with Douglas Adams (ironic considering that he wanted to get it made for so long)...

well, i have to take some exception here.

though i didn't particularly care for the movie, to say that it had little to do with dna is wholly inaccurate. while not the last writer to touch it, adams was certainly the originator of the screenplay and the creator of many of the changes within. i suppose without comparing and contrasting his final script with the film itself it's hard to tell exactly how much was his, but from all i've read, i got the impression he had a major hand in the development of the script which was shot.

as for the "new" book, i still see it the same way. it may indeed be very entertaining. it may be hilarious. what it will not be is a new h2g2 book. only douglas adams can write one of those. if this book is to use the same characters, it can, at best, be the best fan fiction ever.

DoctorDodge
10-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Sorry, I just assumed that after he died and without his brilliant vision the filmmaker's changed what they liked with all of Douglas Adams ideas and thought that was the reason why it didn't quite work (even when they used the awesome theme tune). I was aware that he had been working on a movie adaptation for a very long time, I'm just surprised that he would've been the one who would've made all those changes. I still think the film would've been much better if he was alive to guide the making of it himself.

I think the best way to describe why the film isn't any good is how Joss Whedon described Alien Resurrection, which he himself wrote the script for.

It wasn't a question of doing everything differently, although they changed the ending; it was mostly a matter of doing everything wrong. They said the lines...mostly...but they said them all wrong. And they cast it wrong. And they designed it wrong. And they scored it wrong. They did everything wrong that they could possibly do.

Although maybe I'm putting dna on a pedastal just because he wrote not only one hell of a great radio series, but also wrote two of the best Doctor Who stories ever. And that's saying something!

sarajean
10-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Now, obviously, with the big fucking books that he writes, you must admit I do have a SLIGHTLY good reason for not having read the books!

but...all 5 h²g² books can fit in one volume that's only a little over 800 pages (and that's with the additional short story). i'm not...i guess i just don't understand your statement. none of his books were really all that long.

DoctorDodge
10-12-2009, 03:45 PM

but...all 5 h²g² books can fit in one volume that's only a little over 800 pages (and that's with the additional short story). i'm not...i guess i just don't understand your statement. none of his books were really all that long.

I meant spending time on King's books.

LadyHitchhiker
10-13-2009, 12:47 PM
I was under the impression that there are a LOT of DNA's writings left out there. What if it's just that, mostly just his writing, with a little finishing off? What if there had been a specific outline that Eoin Colfer followed?

I think Eoin was hired to finish the series because DNA did not like how bleak the series seemed to be ending and so therefore that is why the widow of Sir Adams was allowed to finish the series. Let's just pray it is everything that Douglas Adams would have wanted in it.

No, it won't be a true Douglas Adam's work, but my heart has hope for it.

Brice
10-15-2009, 03:13 PM

Perhaps, Brice, but look on the bright side: it's written by Eoin Colfer. Now, it's been a while since I read the Artemis Fowl books, but if they're half as brilliant as I remember, I'd say that Colfer is definitely the man to write a new Hitchhiker's book and "gets" Adams brilliantly clever sense of humour.

Not that I'm saying that it would be as good as the original books. Just that it would be one of the funniest books released this year!

Slightly off topic, but if anyone is interested in more Douglas Adams, I'd definitely give the two Doctor Who stories he wrote a watch. The Pirate Planet is hilarious, bold, and brilliantly clever (with Tom Baker), and the City of Death is not only all those things and more, but is also one of the greatest. Who stories. Ever. (With Tom Baker.) If you love Hitchhiker's, you'd also love the only 2 full stories that Douglas wrote for Doctor Who. Trust me on this! :thumbsup:

Not having read Colfer I can only say it wouldn't matter to me who wrote it.

DoctorDodge
10-15-2009, 10:59 PM
Currently reading the 1st book, and unsurprisingly just as funny as the first radio series. To those who've listened and read both, which is funnier: the original radio series or the novels?

LadyHitchhiker
10-16-2009, 04:11 AM
I have never heard the radio series, but am dying to. I have read all the books, I saw the tv series, I watched the movie, I listened to the audio of the first book. But I have failed to be able to get access to the radio series. *sighs*

DoctorDodge
10-18-2009, 10:42 AM
Just finished reading the first book. Brilliant, but with it being an adaptation of the first half of the first radio series, I pretty much knew the entire plot beforehand, so there weren't really any surprises. Still, it's been a while since I've listened to the radio series (it's on audio cassette) and unsurprisingly it was an absolute joy to read, so I'll definitely read The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, soon as (a) I have some money and (b) I've finished all the other books in my very, very large pile of novels that i'm currently in the middle of reading.

Well, maybe soon as i've finished one or two books in the pile, anyway! :D

candy
10-18-2009, 10:56 AM
doc, the radio series followed the book very closely so you won't come across any surprises, but i found the book itself to be a little more descriptive than the radio or the bbc series.

Personally i found the books funnier than either of the above, but thats not to say they were not funny in their own right - Unlike the film, but i agree with the statement above - the casting jarred against me, the script was very good, but unfortunatley seemed wrong coming form the people that were cast. But that is also me being very biased as i watched and loved the orignal series
dr who trivia/retaurant of the end of the universe tv adaptions spoiler
in restuarant at the end of the universe, the cow who offers itself to be eaten is played by peter davidson, who was in the middle of filming his stint as the Dr, as he was married to sandra dickinson he wanted to do a cameo role but the ptb would not let him as he was the Dr, so he filmed as the cow so no one could see it was him:)

DoctorDodge
10-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Yeah, i read about that, candy. Saw the tv series, and you just couldn't recognise him really, could ya? Even if you knew it was him, it was hard to believe it! :lol:

LadyHitchhiker
10-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Just read the new "Hitchhiker's Guide" book. I thought it was actually pretty good. There were a few times when it really didn't feel like him, but hardly any. The way he wrapped it up I still think there could be a sequel, though!

rosie real
10-24-2009, 06:02 PM
stg says to tell you that he finished the new h2g2 book, "...and another thing", last night. his official response is "meh".

perhaps he'll write more when he's not channeling through me, i.e. able to log into the site himself. kthxbai. :)

LadyHitchhiker
10-24-2009, 06:06 PM
A little too many "guide" interruptions for my liking.

LadyHitchhiker
05-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Happy towel day, friends!

Brice
05-26-2010, 07:35 AM
I forgot my towel. :(

candy
05-26-2010, 11:31 AM
i had my towel but forgot it was towel day!:orely:

LadyHitchhiker
08-19-2010, 06:13 AM
Anyone who likes Dear Douglas Adams may like Tom Holt's Blonde Bombshell. I almost cried it was so good.

candy
08-19-2010, 11:15 AM
i love Tom Holt, i have not read that one though

He does remind me an awful lot of DA

LadyHitchhiker
08-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Ooooooooooooooooooooooh... so I should like more books of his? Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :excited:

LadyHitchhiker
04-24-2011, 07:52 PM
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/thespermwhaleandbowlofpetunias <------------ check it out you hoopy froods!!!!! :)

LadyHitchhiker
05-25-2011, 04:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNQ2zshh4TU

Okay so not my best work in the world, but still it gets the point across.... gotta make it better somehow, but I've only had my webcam for 2 days to play with and I HAD to do something special for towel day!

LadyHitchhiker
06-01-2011, 03:37 PM
https://fbcdn-photos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/252909_222288107789794_201891983162740_938049_4286 244_s.jpg

LadyHitchhiker
06-01-2011, 03:38 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/252909_222288107789794_201891983162740_938049_4286 244_n.jpg

Yes, this is me. And yes, that is a bulldozer.

Ric
06-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Ok that's funny! Did Ford eventually come by and take you for a pint? :lol:

LadyHitchhiker
06-02-2011, 05:46 PM
I think the guys would have asked me out for a pint if they all weren't so old enough to be my dad...

DoctorDodge
03-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Douglas Adams fans: new release Shada by Gareth Roberts is out in hardback, based on an incomplete DA story. From what little I've read, it seems to capture his unique sense of wit. First sentence was promising enough: "At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist. This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair. Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a minute. That means there's a situation vacant.'" Will post a review later and say if it's as good as what I've read of Adams's Hitchhiker's stuff.

needfulthings
03-19-2012, 09:05 PM
http://a.imageshack.us/img51/6515/dscn6032n.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img820/639/dscn6033m.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img40/2162/dscn6034.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img593/4345/dscn6035z.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img809/4082/dscn6037.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img440/4586/dscn6036wi.jpg