PDA

View Full Version : Favourite DT Villain

Letti
03-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Who is your favourite villain and why?
For my part I am not fond of villains so much and I am not into them, either but King's villians are great. They aren't just black, they have very complex personalities.
They have reasons... histories... decisions.

MonteGss
03-01-2008, 01:09 PM
I voted Mordred....
and I have my reasons.

Letti
03-01-2008, 01:11 PM
I am listening to you Monte. I did the same.

MonteGss
03-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Mordred is the best villian because of what happened with Flagg. That is my only reason. That is all the reason I need. :)

Letti
03-01-2008, 01:17 PM
And without that thing? Would he still be your favourite?

Brice
03-01-2008, 01:23 PM
I voted Walter. I'm not entirely sure why. He was just perfect for me when I read the original gunslinger...to the point where I don't really think of him as Flagg as much as I think of him as Walter...even though I read The Stand first.

jayson
03-01-2008, 02:32 PM
RF was the greatest villain not only in this series, but all of King's work.

fernandito
03-01-2008, 05:11 PM
My personal favorite has always been Mr. Big Bad Coffin Hunter myself, Jonas. I mean, the guy pissed on someone's clothes for God's sake, how much more metal than that can you get?

(guitar solo)

Wuducynn
03-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Oy. That little bastard has been plotting against everyone since day one. Ha! Suckers!! he never died hes on a yacht on a lake getting blown by a high-priced bumbler hooker.

sarah
03-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Don't get me wrong, I thought Flagg/Walter/Marten was a great character and villain but I have to give it up to Gasher. Run cully run! :lol:

Jean
03-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Blaine

obscurejude
03-01-2008, 11:20 PM
I voted Walter. I'm not entirely sure why. He was just perfect for me when I read the original gunslinger...to the point where I don't really think of him as Flagg as much as I think of him as Walter...even though I read The Stand first.

Me too Brice:thumbsup: Walter made such an indelible impression on me, I've just never been able to get over him as he was presented in the first book.

Woofer
03-02-2008, 04:30 AM
I also went with Eldred Jonas because he intrigued me to no end. It seems clear that he could have been great had he not challenged too soon. Having fallen from grace, however, he was "deliciously evil" (to borrow a phrase from Stewie Griffin).

blackrose22
03-02-2008, 02:13 PM
The Big Coffin Hunters got my vote. Jonas had a air of danger about him. Charismatic and ruthless in the extreme.

Storyslinger
03-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Flagg got my vote, big suprise ;)

I personally like the aditude that is expressed in The Stand and Storm of the Century. Total control and a cool outlook.

Wuducynn
03-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Cyber voted for Mordred. :cool:

Ruthful
03-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Dandelo.

:cry:

MonteGss
03-03-2008, 05:49 PM
I think CK voted for "Someone else." :D

Wuducynn
03-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Yeah, and I posted who too.

MonteGss
03-03-2008, 06:04 PM
:lol:
I saw it but didn't know if that was for sure. :lol:

CyberGhostface
03-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Geez, why the hell is Walter the #1 spot? You'd figure that Mordred would be the winner, given that he is Roland's Ultimate Nemesis (TM) .

Walter was just some arrogant fool who was nothing more than a bump in Roland's road. He's just another crony who failed in all his missions. Meh! A boring pimp! I honestly don't get why he's so popular. He lacks the Shakespearian tragedy and depth of Mordred. Roland's beef was with Mordred and no one else.

(Oh, I voted for Walter too, btw. ;))

Wuducynn
03-03-2008, 06:47 PM
No way.

MonteGss
03-04-2008, 07:09 AM
Walter is #1 because he was so damned cool....worthy of a dozen different/same threads here at the site.

Storyslinger
03-04-2008, 07:09 AM
Walter is #1 because he was so damned cool....worthy of a dozen different/same threads here at the site.

Ayuh! Hear,hear!

MonteGss
03-04-2008, 07:11 AM
:unsure:

Jean
03-04-2008, 07:13 AM
a dozen threads for one inefficient mahfah?

jayson
03-04-2008, 07:20 AM

with a dozen threads, maybe it's we who are inefficient? :lol:

Wuducynn
03-04-2008, 07:22 AM
[MonteGss=Sarcasm]

CyberGhostface
03-04-2008, 08:03 AM

We have a lot of topics on Roland, don't we?

Jean
03-04-2008, 08:04 AM
touche

MonteGss
03-04-2008, 08:09 AM
Do the Roland threads all talk about the same thing? Are they all located in The Villagers? Are they talking about NOTHING to do with the series? I think not.

In general though, I agree, there are too many threads talking about roughly the same ideas.

Letti
03-04-2008, 08:32 AM
I wish the one who voted for Dandelo gave us a reason. I am interested in it a lot.

CyberGhostface
03-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Do the Roland threads all talk about the same thing? Are they all located in The Villagers? Are they talking about NOTHING to do with the series? I think not.

Are you referring to my topics?

Brice
03-04-2008, 08:44 AM

:rofl:

WAIT! Are you saying something about MY thread??? :angry:

Ruthful
03-04-2008, 08:50 AM
I like the idea of a vampire who preys upon his victims emotions. It adds a new layer to the whole vampire mythos.

Letti
03-04-2008, 08:51 AM
Were you the one who voted for Dandelo?

Ruthful
03-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Were you the one who voted for Dandelo?

Yes.

Odd Lane was one of my favorite parts of the final volume of TDT.

Letti
03-04-2008, 09:00 AM
I can understand your point. And I am really happy you gave me an answer. Thank you for it.
Yeah, Dandelo was a great character. A very interesting one. For my part when I was reading that part I couldn't decide if I should trust him or not.
The fact that he could almost catch Roland... makes him even bigger.

Ruthful
03-04-2008, 09:11 AM
That's what was so wonderful about that scene, IMO.

You were anticipating a lull. You couldn't imagine Roland being endangered at that moment-especially after everything he had just gone through-then....

BAM!

Letti
03-04-2008, 09:17 AM
Could you trust him anyway? One of my part found him so kind... and the other part told me he was incredibly suspicious. And of course the more I read about him the more suspicious he became.

LadyHitchhiker
03-04-2008, 01:21 PM
RF I still say is my favorite... but apparently for some weird reason the spiderbaby is more of a bad ass. Explain that one to me...

CyberGhostface
03-04-2008, 01:26 PM
RF I still say is my favorite... but apparently for some weird reason the spiderbaby is more of a bad ass. Explain that one to me...

That's easy. There's nothing that says 'badass' like crapping your pants.

http://www.images.alliancze.org/CoD/angry_baby.jpg

LadyHitchhiker
03-04-2008, 01:30 PM
"Peeing your pants is cool!" -- Billy Madison, Adam Sandler.

So ipso facto

Crapping your pants and not caring is pretty bad ass...

The baddest of asses crap their pants and do not care.

LadyHitchhiker
03-04-2008, 01:31 PM
I like the idea of a vampire who preys upon his victims emotions. It adds a new layer to the whole vampire mythos.

New... not entirely but definitely not as overused... :D

sarah
03-05-2008, 08:16 AM
so I'm still the only one who voted for Gasher? :lol: He is in my top ten all time favorite characters in fiction. ;)

Letti
03-05-2008, 08:35 AM
so I'm still the only one who voted for Gasher? :lol: He is in my top ten all time favorite characters in fiction. ;)

Yeah, you can get him. :D

MonteGss
03-05-2008, 09:27 AM
Gasher was awesome! He was such a jerk to Jake but I laughed throughout the whole thing. Listening to Frank Muller do Gasher's voice was the best! :D

TerribleT
03-07-2008, 01:46 PM
I voted the Coffin Hunters. They just reminded me of the old spaghetti westerns, with Clint Eastwood chasing them down, culminating in a showdown. Good stuff!!!

Girlystevedave
03-07-2008, 02:04 PM
I voted Coffin Hunters because, to me, they are the ones who really got things rolling. Sort of made Roland into the bad-ass that he is.

RUBE
03-07-2008, 03:13 PM
I decided to give Rhea some love (not literally) in the best villain category. If you think about it, she did a lot to shape Roland's personality. She manipulated the situation in Hambry and orchestrated Susan's death. She also lead to Roland killing his own mother. How much more fucked up can you get than that?

I really hope that they address the final confrontation between her and Roland in a future arc of the comic book series. I was very disappointed that they did not show the confrontation where Roland killed her snake that should have been in the first arc.

Plus, she is like a crack head with the grapefruit bend of the rainbow being her crack AND she has a few lesbian tendencies. Who doesn't love crack-headed lesbians? :D

Wuducynn
03-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Who doesn't love crack-headed lesbians? :D

Nobody worth their salt!

RUBE
03-07-2008, 03:18 PM
I have a question for you: How have you seen this thread but there is still not a vote for the Crimson King?

Wuducynn
03-07-2008, 03:38 PM
So far I haven't felt like voting.

Jon
03-08-2008, 12:15 AM
Trashcan man.

He is a pyro...gotta love a pyro!

Letti
03-08-2008, 01:21 AM
I knew Flagg's popular but I am quite surprised how many votes he got.

Wuducynn
03-08-2008, 10:09 AM
I'm surprised that the CK has gotten no votes. Guess I'm the only fan. I also love Richard Patrick Sayre, my second favorite villain. Walter is my third.

alinda
03-08-2008, 10:13 AM
I personally thought he was a bit of a whimp .All that EEEEEEEE at the end
pfft! (sorry)

Wuducynn
03-08-2008, 11:30 AM
No need to apologize :lol: I know thats a common opinion. I actually wrote out a long post (in some thread somewhere) about why he's definitely NOT a wimp. If all you focused on was the EEEEEEEE bit and not the many other things about him that we learn throughout the series including the comics then yeah, that would seem wimpy.

alinda
03-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Mattttqhew, I appologized because I didnt leave much of
an explanation. Yeah he did lots of other stuff ( some
pretty cool I guess) but he sort of fizzled out by the end
ya know? (hence my use of the "w" word), and well the
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
really bothered me. Wish I had more to say.....well actually
I do, its good to see you again :)

Wuducynn
03-08-2008, 11:40 AM
It is always great to see you Linda-love... :huglove:

Lets just say if Roland had met Los' before he was trapped in the Tower and weakened by the reborn Beams, than things might have turned out quite a bit differently for our favorite gunslinger.

Letti
03-08-2008, 01:21 PM
I liked the EEEEEEEEEEEEEE part. It might sound crazy but for me... when he cried EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE he seemed absolutely insane AND dangerous. An insane person can be incredibly dangerous. Maybe he was a prisoner still with that EEEEEEEEEE made me think of him as a free soul. Becaue he didn't want to look like a wise evil man. He didn't say big things he didn't have big speeches.
He was who he was.
Insane and evil.

(Maybe I see too much in that EEEEE.)

Wuducynn
03-08-2008, 01:25 PM
I liked the EEEEEEEEEEEEEE part. It might sound crazy but for me... when he cried EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE he seemed absolutely insane AND dangerous. An insane person can be incredibly dangerous. Maybe he was a prisoner still with that EEEEEEEEEE made me think of him as a free soul. Becaue he didn't want to look like a wise evil man. He didn't say big things he didn't have big speeches.
He was who he was.
Insane and evil.

Yeah, I thought the EEEEEEEE element of his insanity was awesome. And I doubt he thought of himself as 'evil'.

Letti
03-08-2008, 01:43 PM
He was who he was.
Insane and evil.

1. Yeah, I thought the EEEEEEEE element of his insanity was awesome.
2. And I doubt he thought of himself as 'evil'.

1. Oh, it's great I am not alone with it. I did love that part.
2. Hmmm... maybe he didn't think anything about himself at that part or we can't find out what he thought because it's impossible to find out what's going on in an insane mind.

ManOfWesternesse
03-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Had to vote Flagg.
Best villain in any fiction.
Good enough in DT (despite his end) Brilliant in The Stand - can't imagine a villain to top that off.

CyberGhostface
03-08-2008, 02:29 PM
I knew Flagg's popular but I am quite surprised how many votes he got.

Why? In terms of popularity, I really think Pennywise from It is the only serious contender.

MonteGss
03-16-2008, 08:06 AM
Pennywise was pretty awesome...creepy. Two different types of villains, obviously. Flagg was more human-esque while Pennywise was more "monster." :)

Babymordred121
07-05-2008, 02:17 PM
I voted for Walter. Dandelo came in at a close second, but Walter's got more of a history behind him to beef his character up. Dandelo just sort of appeared. I love everything that Dandelo was; I just wish he'd been a larger character. It would have been awesome if Dandelo had escaped his confrontation with the Ka-tet and then sacrifice himself to Mordred in order to make the Little Red King more powerful. It would have been a creepy-assed show of affection from one creature of darkness to another.

Tiffany
07-16-2008, 11:37 AM
I voted for Flagg, though I've also had a hard time NOT thinking of him as Walter or The Man in Black, even while reading The Stand.

I voted for him because I love his many incarnations and personalities. I love how when people are near him, they feel drawn and repulsed at the same time. And I like him because he spans so much of the SK multiverse.

While I do like badass villains, I tend to feel more drawn to the creepy, weasley bad guys (and if you knew any of my exes, you'd know this to be true *ZING!*).
Walter/Flagg just has that creepy, greasy, crazy feel to him. Crazy like the CK, no. Crazy like a FOX!

Empath of the White
07-20-2008, 05:39 PM
I picked the Crimson King. Its just a shame that we had to look beyond the main Tower series to see examples of his villainy. His motives and his means to accomplish his goals made him interesting.

As for Flagg, Walter, etc. I just think of the character as the Ageless Stranger because I find it simple and appropriate. Not to mention its who he identified himself as in The Wastelands.

childe nolan-d
05-21-2009, 12:13 PM
You know, i would vote for Flagg ... but i don't want to be the person to break his 19 votes.

tamez
05-21-2009, 12:35 PM
I voted for Blaine because i really like the whole sentient
machines gone insane theme. plus, he is really the only
villain that i see from time to time jumping out at me
in real life.

i mean i'm seeing that freakin' scary thomas the train shit
wherever I go and there's a kid's train in this little kid amuzment
park near my house that has a face :panic:

also, the Wastelands is my favorite book of the series
and while I agree with Maer. and really really like Gasher
i had to vote Blaine because he is infinately scarier
since you have to actually like... sit INSIDE him!
plus holy shit, going see through?
who wouldn't wanna go see through and scare the shit out of people? :onfire:

Kidd Ikarus
05-21-2009, 12:44 PM
I voted for CK. He's the Big Red Daddy of course. It just sucks that he went out the way he did.

And on top of it, you gotta be pretty bad ass to swallow a razor-sharp spoon.

Letti
05-28-2009, 08:28 PM
I voted for CK. He's the Big Red Daddy of course. It just sucks that he went out the way he did.

And on top of it, you gotta be pretty bad ass to swallow a razor-sharp spoon.

:lol: Yeah, you gotta.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Eldred Jonas :shoot:

Melike
05-30-2009, 02:09 AM
Flagg. He is simply awesome. Mysterious. The reason for me to adore The Gunslinger, because of his conversation with Roland, at the end of the book.

I wish the one who voted for Dandelo gave us a reason. I am interested in it a lot.

If Flagg didn't exist, I'd vote for Dandelo for same reason(isn't it very romantic to be fed with emotions?), or Atropos(though, I don't know if we can count him a DT villain, he is a nasty little doctor collecting his victims stuff) or Rando Thoughtful(has a great way of using psychiatry for his tracks).

He was who he was.
Insane and evil.

You're talking from my heart, Letti.:huglove: An insane evil is more dangerous/interesting/lovely from a wise one.
An example: Joker is way too much awesome than Ozymandias who is also a great villain to me, and my favorite Watchmen character.

Sunset
07-02-2009, 04:40 AM
Farson, the good man.

flaggwalkstheline
07-02-2009, 05:48 AM
voted someone else
Mi him entoi!
TAK!!!!
Tak scares the poo outta me

Ruthful
07-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Finally, someone else has voted for Dandelo!

:clap:

candy
07-02-2009, 10:29 AM
Mordred, i actually liked the little blighter

Ozymandias
07-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Flagg. I just love that he's all over the place in different world's fucking up someone's life at all times. Different name, different time, doesn't matter.

Letti
07-07-2009, 12:32 PM

Oh nice! There aren't many people out there who like him. Why do you like him?

AIMB
07-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Flagg.
He has messed up so many people's lives.

DonCarlito
07-07-2009, 05:48 PM
The Big Coffin Hunters. Those three were a perfect match for the three young gunslingers.

Myste
10-06-2009, 08:59 AM
Yeah... Big Coffin Hunters got my vote also. Especially because of Jonas.

Atanóno Fána
12-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Missing you there Good man.
No one else could defeat the very descendants of Arthur Elda. Such Red king dared to come out of Lee Case Roi Russe and Stephen King himself said that when someone directly confronts R.F., alias Walter Padick real, birth name, and collapses like a house of cards. I do not think that any bandit something even disconcerted by it. Mordred, though praised, failed to nothing (of course, had the opportunity, but still ...). Big Coffin Hunters are puppets. Blaine Mono for their "behavior" can not. Dandelo is even worse than Mordred, though its history is not known apparently. Rhea could "play a draw" with Hunters coffins. Gasher is completely out of the game.
Unfortunately for others, destroyed Farson Mid-World, in fact practically suffered destruction All-world, which only allowed the Red King to start destroying Beams.

pinkymcfatfat
12-22-2009, 10:09 PM
The Breakers...

Yeah, seems like an odd choice, but except for a very few of them, they are complacent with doing evil and also know, at least on some level, what the pills they took contained.

Even after the fall of Argul Siento a lot of them would have stayed and continued their work breaking the very beams of existence.

They aren't as flashy as other villians, but as a group, they are incredibly formidable.

Atanóno Fána
12-23-2009, 02:01 AM
Breakers are also the only success Red King.

Sickrose
12-23-2009, 08:28 AM
Flagg. I just love that he's all over the place in different world's fucking up someone's life at all times. Different name, different time, doesn't matter.

Love your sig Ozymandias I love that poem. Shelly is one of my favourites. :)

Sickrose
12-23-2009, 08:31 AM
I voted for Rhea she is just such an unremitting bitch! They way she manipulates people in Mejis and that cat ..... gives me the creeps. I liked how she faded out of the story a bit and then came back with a vengeance!

SynysterSaint
12-23-2009, 08:35 AM
I would have voted for the Big Coffin Hunters, but I have to give it to RF. The way that TMiB was featured in the first book was amazing. He was definitely my favourite above Eldred Jonas until he committed suicide by going to palaver with Mordred. I was not happy with the way he broke at the end like that. The only good thing that came of that, however, was when he explained how he escaped the Gunslinger during their palaver in the mountains by placing bones in spare clothes he had. That was absolutely brilliant! I think his cunning is the only thing that puts him above Jonas for me.

Atanóno Fána
12-23-2009, 10:11 AM
I do not think that something seriously Rhea manipulating people Mejis. Rather bargain for both "teams". She was at a time when the 4th place book, an old woman and the witch is written in the book that has many of the "alchemy" forgot. Otherwise it seems to me that between her and Coffin Hunters is a difference. As she, so they are underestimated and overestimated others. Just not meet with anyone face to face confrontation with her and Roland would hit just as the Jonas = death.

stone, rose, unfound door
12-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Blaine for me too.

DoctorDodge
12-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Flagg. He's just so evil, ruthless, and loves spreading chaos and ruining people's lives...but hey, at least he has a good sense of humour whilst he does it!

Letti
12-24-2009, 02:10 AM
I would have voted for the Big Coffin Hunters, but I have to give it to RF. The way that TMiB was featured in the first book was amazing. He was definitely my favourite above Eldred Jonas until he committed suicide by going to palaver with Mordred. I was not happy with the way he broke at the end like that.

How was that a suicide?!? Flagg didn't want to die. He didn't know how much power Mordred had.

ICry4Oy
12-24-2009, 07:56 AM

A woman after me own cold hard heart! :wub:

Gasher was my second fave character in the entire series (Oy first fave!). Not because he diddled little boys, but because he scared them shitless. Gotta love him for that...and...who the fuck doesn't love a pirate?!!!:pirate:

SynysterSaint
12-25-2009, 08:19 AM
How was that a suicide?!? Flagg didn't want to die. He didn't know how much power Mordred had.

He certainly did not know how powerful Mordred was, but by no means was Flagg an unintelligent man. We have been shown throughout the series that Flagg is, quite possibly, the most intelligent villain that Stephen King has ever created. He should have had the capacity to understand that Mordred, while still an infant, is still a combination of Roland and the Crimson King; two of which are arguably his superior in ability. He should have taken more care with his approach. Not to mention he walked right into an essentially closed chamber with Mordred. He took as few precautions as he felt he needed in order to survive, and because of his carelessness he died. As far as I'm concerned, his stupidity caused his death, and can therefore be seen as a suicide. He was dead the minute he decided to step foot in Mordred's presence.

candy
12-26-2009, 10:29 AM

oh my lord letti i am so sorry - i missed this question.

so some time later here is my answer....

i think modred had honour and goodness in his heart at the start. if roland had reached out to him the end of the story may well have been different. his jealousy of jake and the tet showed that he wanted to be part of the group which means that he had the capability for good. it wouldn't have been an easy to gain his trust - but when they did the help and assistance he could have brought would have been invaluable

the decisions made by both of his fathers put him on a path that i believe ultimatley he did not have to take.

i know a lot of people will argue this with me and say he was born to be evil and ka played a part, but i just felt really really sorry for him when he was trailing the tet, so for something to make me want to reach out and adopt him - that something made me like him.

hey, i adopted two feral kittens that spat, scratched and hated the whole wide world - would you say it was that much different? mordred was still a baby after all

Atanóno Fána
12-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Partially you are right. Mordred felt pity the loneliness. Still he was closer to the King of Discordie and Mia than when Susannah and Roland. Moreover, King of Discordie kept urging him, manipulated him, that he must kill a White father, Roland.

stone, rose, unfound door
12-28-2009, 03:37 PM

i think modred had honour and goodness in his heart at the start. if roland had reached out to him the end of the story may well have been different. his jealousy of jake and the tet showed that he wanted to be part of the group which means that he had the capability for good. it wouldn't have been an easy to gain his trust - but when they did the help and assistance he could have brought would have been invaluable

the decisions made by both of his fathers put him on a path that i believe ultimatley he did not have to take.

i know a lot of people will argue this with me and say he was born to be evil and ka played a part, but i just felt really really sorry for him when he was trailing the tet, so for something to make me want to reach out and adopt him - that something made me like him.

hey, i adopted two feral kittens that spat, scratched and hated the whole wide world - would you say it was that much different? mordred was still a baby after all

I'm happy you also think he wasn't born evil but I think your arguments don't make him much of a villain, do they? I had a hard time thinking of Mordred as a villain like the Big Coffin Hunters, Blaine or Flagg. To me, Mordred is just a lost soul and it shows what bad behaviour from the parents can do to a child because he was still just a child when he died.

candy
12-29-2009, 11:38 AM
he is a villian - he killed Oy, and for that although i may pity him i will never forgive him

i just think he is a more rounded villian, some of the others above are pantomime villians, you boo and hiss them. They are too obvious for me, i like my villian to have depth and to understand the reasons they do things.

Letti
12-30-2009, 01:06 AM

I felt quite the same way. However I never felt like adopting him. ;)

Anyway I don't think he would have been able to become good or part of the White. Not even if Roland or anyone else had tried to help him. Mordred had great power but his soul was weak. Just look at all of those feelings he had: jealousy, hatred. To be able to change as much as he should have changed to become something better you need a really strong soul and spirit.

pathoftheturtle
12-31-2009, 08:09 AM
Blaine for me too.Yar. Blaine.

Darkle and Tinct
04-05-2010, 04:04 AM
Wow, I'm posting way after everyone else. I can't even guarantee if people will read this, cry your pardon.
My personal favorite villain is John Farson, even though he hasn't been featured as extensively as, say, Flagg/Walter/Marten or the Crimson King. To me, Farson represents the opposite of the gunslinger/Mid-World ideal: he is undermining the very heart of the world, seeking to overthrow its traditions, its identity. He is chaos embodied -- he is immediate, he is violent, and he is aggressive. Plus, he's responsible for the destruction of Roland's original ka-tet.
On a side note: I also love that his nickname is "the Good Man." Something about the irony in that makes me like him even more.

Riostar
04-05-2010, 08:10 AM
I think I would have a hard time picking one. There are a couple on this list that I like for different reasons.

Charyou Tree
06-05-2010, 05:14 AM
I don't know why really, but I've always loved Jonas as a villain. He was such a knob, I wanted to shoot him myself...DAMN YOU ROLAND!

cozener
07-23-2010, 09:09 AM
I can't pick.

RainInSpain
10-29-2010, 07:09 AM
Voted for Big Coffin Hunters (mainly Jonas, of course). I have a hard time understanding exactly why I chose them - somehow it turned out to be more difficult to pick a fav villain than a fav ka-tet member; but one of the reasons is that they seemed not just believable but lifelike to me.
I do not exactly expect coming across a crazy mono at any point in my life, or any sorcerers or witches. Now, a human like any of those three...

All that said, though, I'd still want more backstory on Farson above all.

haunted.lunchbox
10-29-2010, 11:56 AM
I am so happy I found this post. I LOVE villains, in fact, in most instances I like the villains more than the heroes (such as Lost). The one thing that bothers me in DT is that they don't spend too much time on any one villain. And... I think the robot from WoC should be on the list.

19eye-rosecrow-gun
10-29-2010, 01:09 PM
I voted for Blaine. He was very creepy because of his earlier forshadowing, and in one of the illustrations there is a very creepy picture of a smiling choo-choo with the crying children. He came the closest to killing the entire ka tet than any other villain.

HellBeast
10-31-2010, 01:29 PM
I voted for Blaine. He was very creepy because of his earlier forshadowing, and in one of the illustrations there is a very creepy picture of a smiling choo-choo with the crying children. He came the closest to killing the entire ka tet than any other villain.

For this reason he was the 'best' because the whole point of a villain is to stop the heroes, and he came closest. When I read the DT books first, I bought the first 4 when I was told by a buddy to get them, didn't know there was going to be 7, and with the Blaine stuff I was convinced at least half the ka-tet were gonna die lol

pathoftheturtle
11-01-2010, 10:47 AM

For this reason he was the 'best' because the whole point of a villain is to stop the heroes, and he came closest. ...Well, he blew it by letting his chance slip away due to being so mental. Maybe the point of a villian is serving as a bad example for the audience. Still, if what you're saying is that he worked best in presenting an interesting obstacle to the protagonists, then I'm totally with you: That's basically why I voted Blaine myself.

Susan Delgado
11-02-2010, 09:04 AM
voted Rhea. not sure anymore who Dandelo is

a fan
11-05-2010, 08:42 AM
flagg by far he created who roland and the ka-tet are

maerlyns_rainbow
11-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Blaine. He was so fun to read about and I love how he'd threaten the ka-tet one minute and be offering Edith Bunker sex up to them the next. Also his sense of humor was hilarious, if a little weird. Gotta love AI that calls you PARD'NER and LITTLE TRAILHAND

haunted.lunchbox
11-06-2010, 10:04 AM
King should make a book about the Crimson King. He is supposed to be a huge player in the DT, but we don't really know too much about him.

Letti
11-06-2010, 11:15 AM
voted Rhea. not sure anymore who Dandelo is

Oh girl.. I know you are damn busy but you definitely need a good reread. :)

King should make a book about the Crimson King. He is supposed to be a huge player in the DT, but we don't really know too much about him.

That's what I like most about him. We all can have our own CK in our head.

19eye-rosecrow-gun
11-07-2010, 05:51 PM
I'm surprised that the CK has gotten no votes. Guess I'm the only fan. I also love Richard Patrick Sayre, my second favorite villain. Walter is my third.

You know, one of my favorite bands is Filter. Richard Patrick rocks!

Delacroix
12-15-2010, 02:44 PM
I voted Mordred.

IMO there is three essential qualities to make a good villain.
He must be threatening, strong, and fearsome.
He must be somehow clever, either it's animal and instinctive slyness or quick-thinking and complex strategy.
He musn't be deeply and truely evil, because I think there is no such thing as 100% evil.

Of course, all these three qualities can be found in many DT villains, but I had to choose one and I think Mordred fit them all very well.

From the first lines, I loved Mordred. I think the whole idea of the son that comes to life to eliminate his father pleases me. I also like his resemblance to Roland and the fact that he could possibly match his fighting skills.

After his birth (for I really disliked the whole pregnancy part) I immediatly empathized with baby Mordred. I loved how he had to learn all by himself, how he had to compose with being a weak human child or a strong yet energy-greedy spider. I liked his somehow mature mind stuck in his the two bodies that don't satisfy him completely on either side. He is strong, but so fragile in the same time. As for his thoughts, to me it's obvious that beside his hate, anger and greed, he only whishes to be accepted and loved. He dismissed the idea for his own sake. He would have died in Fedic thinking he should be loved. He would have died of misery no doubt. Has he been brave enough to go to Roland, they'd have probably shot him straight away. On the love hand, he'd have been the loser in anyway.

What choice is left then? We see it well enough. The only thing that makes him "happy" is to eat. It's also his main obsession, like any other living being he must fight for his survival. The fulfilment of his needs is the only source of pleasure for him. Just like a baby breastfed is the happiest creature on earth, I can't blame Mordred for it.

I found him heartbreaking in his misery, and as said before, his intense jealousy shows that deeply inside him he's just a lost kid who've come to hate in order to live. The scene where he tries to suck his own blood to find again the only confort he can rely to, is just heartbreaking.

But he remains a villain, for that given the chance he'd probably have killed Jake, Eddie and Susannah in order to reach Roland, but more likely to see him suffer.

And I thought he would at least try, but as many said before, Mordred turned out to be not only pathetic (which he was since the very beginning) but also weak, useless, desaponting.

I hope this makes sense...

PS: I really wanted to vote for Blaine too, my second favorite villain.

Merlin1958
12-15-2010, 05:19 PM
I voted "Other" because one of my all time favorites is that sick Bastard from "Black House" and not Mr. Munshun. Alas, my age addled brain fails me now to remember his name (and BH is one of my King Favs), but someone help me out? After him, CK & Pennywise!!

He he, time for a re-read? LOL

Jean
12-16-2010, 01:27 AM
Merlin, it's Favorite DT Villain, not Favorite Villain...

Merlin1958
12-16-2010, 09:03 AM
Merlin, it's Favorite DT Villain, not Favorite Villain...

Oops, sorry nevermind!!!! Then again, BH is a "Related" DT story can I get a little lattitude? LOL LOL

Jean
12-16-2010, 10:31 AM
absolutely

but if you suddenly want to change your vote, all you have to do is to ask bears

Seneschal
12-20-2010, 05:40 AM
I voted "Other" because one of my all time favorites is that sick Bastard from "Black House" and not Mr. Munshun. Alas, my age addled brain fails me now to remember his name (and BH is one of my King Favs), but someone help me out? After him, CK & Pennywise!!

He he, time for a re-read? LOL

charles burnside was the old man's name. he was truly a twisted character, i have to agree. just finished BH, awesome story.

i suppose you could also argue that Dandelo came closest, since it took the intervention of the author himself to stop it from happening (deus ex machina).

i personally voted Flagg. I really liked Jonas and the Big Coffin Hunters, and I also really liked Blaine. But Flagg is just such an enduring character, I had to go with him.