PDA

View Full Version : Other authors you collect

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

e_taylor
12-05-2007, 07:30 PM
I think my last post got deleted, perhaps it was in the wrong area? If you're going to delete this one can you let me know why, admins?

Anyways, what my original post was in regards to was the Signed/Limited/Numbered first edition of "The Bourne Ultimatum" by Robert Ludlum. I haven't seen any offered or sold anywhere on the net, and I was wondering if anyone knew the approximate value of this book?

Patrick
12-06-2007, 01:39 AM
I believe your first post on this subject was deleted accidentally. Our apologies for that.

You might try ABE Books (http://www.abebooks.com/) and sort by highest price first. Good luck!

Randall Flagg
12-06-2007, 07:38 AM
E Taylor.
Two apologies from me. I accidently deleted (and could not retrieve) your post, and failed to contact you to ask you to repost. I had hoped that a backup on the server could retrieve it, but it appears the backup is for the entire site, and we can't just pick one post out of it.
I checked ABE, and at this time see no listing for a S/L of TBU. A 1st edition trade certainly is pricey @$400, although sometimes prices on ABE are high.
Hopefully someone else here is more familiar with the value and will assist.

e_taylor
12-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Yah, all I've ever been able to find even a listing of its existence online, I was hoping when the movie was released one might be offered for sale, but if one was, I didn't see it.

Randall Flagg
12-08-2007, 11:10 AM
I did find 3 different titles of signed leatherbound presentation copies from Random House that are $600 each.
Link (http://www.davenportbooks.com/cgi-bin/davenport/results.html?searchfield=keywords%2Ccat1%2Ccat2%2C cat3&searchspec1=Signed%20Books)

Patrick
12-10-2007, 01:06 PM
Nice work, RF.

Scoogs
03-01-2008, 12:07 PM
I'm curious what additional authors other members collect. A special focus, such as Bob's Dracula collection, also counts.

I really only buy a couple of limited books a year, so my collection is small, but growing.
I've slowly been adding a few Bradbury S/Ls to my collection(I think I have 5 now) and also have several from Anne Rice. I also have a Vonnegut and a few signed books from various authors that aren't very well known.
I'm not really focused on King like the majority of the board. My main interest is the Tower series, beyond that, I just collect authors that I like without worrying about what they'll be worth in 5 or 10 years.

NeedfulKings
03-01-2008, 12:24 PM
I collect quite a few small press publishers.

Richard Laymon (20-25 items, 15+ signatures, several S/L's)
Ray Garton (12 or more items, 6 signatures, all S/L's)
Steve Gerlach (4 S/L's)
Mike Arnzen (12 or more items, all signed)
Joe Hill (Most of his stuff, only 2 S/L's)

Other odds and ends--I've got some (outdated) pics in my collection threads.

Bill

Ari_Racing
03-01-2008, 12:26 PM
I don't actually collect other authors but I do try to get a book signed of every author I like.
I have books signed by Koontz, Jack Vance, Richard Matheson, Arturo Perez-Reverte, Orson Scott Card, Joe Hill and others. The first one I had was one from John Saul.
I'm still missing some: Arthur Conan Doyle, Alexandré Dumas, Edgar Allan Poe (tought guys these ones... :) ). I'm still looking for a Dan Simmons signed book. :(

Patrick
03-01-2008, 12:43 PM
Other than King and Hill, I collect the S/Ls of Koontz's Odd Thomas books. My other signed books are just a random mix from authors I like :)

Randall Flagg
03-02-2008, 07:46 AM
I collect a little bit of Dan Simmons, Robert McCammon, Ray Garton and a few odds and ends.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/jerome9.jpg

Cutter
03-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Yep, King is the author I collect the most, but it's also because he has the most stuff out there.

After King I try to collect everything by Ray Bradbury, Neil Gaiman and Charles de Lint. I have pretty large collections by all three, and love their work.

I would say I'm an avid collector of King, Gaiman, de Lint and Bradbury, and would consider that I have pretty impressive collections by all authors (although my King collection gets stomped by some here, lol).

And then on a smaller scale I collect Dan Simmons, F. Paul Wilson, Brian Lumley, H. P. Lovecraft and Joe Lansdale. But these collections pale in comparison to the other 4 authors.

I showed my Bradbury and Gaiman collections on the Dark Tower.net a year ago. I'll try to come up with pictures, again.

aurora
03-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Herbert, both Frank and Brain
Arthur C. Clarke
Clive Barker
Michael Crichton
Frank Patterson
Clive Cussler

Not so much collect them as make sure I read just about everything they put out.

NeedfulKings
03-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Updated pics of some of my other authors. Of course, King is always #1!!! :D

Laymon, Garton, and Arnzen:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2/bookking/dt_com/books046.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2/bookking/dt_com/books047.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2/bookking/dt_com/books048.jpg

Scoogs
03-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Dan Simmons has been mentioned quite often on this site and DT.N. I'll have to check his work out sometime. Any suggestions?

I'll have to take some new photos soon and get them posted.

Aurora, I have a lot of Frank Herbert paperbacks, but haven't had a chance to read most of them yet. I read his Dune novels a couple of years ago and that was all I've had. Then I went to the local library sale last fall and picked up about eight of his other books.

Randall Flagg
03-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Dan Simmons has been mentioned quite often on this site and DT.N. I'll have to check his work out sometime. Any suggestions?

Start with his seminal first novel 'Song of Kali'.

Fsmdr
03-02-2008, 08:15 PM

Start with his seminal first novel 'Song of Kali'.

Then, read The Terror. Excellent story, IMO.

Erin
03-02-2008, 11:09 PM
I showed my Bradbury and Gaiman collections on the Dark Tower.net a year ago. I'll try to come up with pictures, again.

I'd love to see your Gaiman collection!

Unfortunately, I don't have any signed or limited edition King books, but I do have a few signed (and one personalized) Chuck Palahniuk 1st editions from meeting him at a signing. Also, I have a couple John Douglas books from meeting him at various signings (he's a former FBI serial killer profiler who has written several books on his career).

That's the closest I have to a worthwhile book collection. :lol:

Ari_Racing
03-03-2008, 01:09 AM
I'd also suggest "Summer of night".

Cutter
03-03-2008, 10:25 AM
[quote=gguthrie;119223]
I'd love to see your Gaiman collection!

give me a little time Erin and I'll show it. In fact I need to start a thread in the collections subsection. I've been meaning to forever. lol

e_taylor
03-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Aside from King I collect:

- Michael Slade (Got every 1st edition including UK editions and limiteds, also ARCs of the three that were only released in paperback - of these, only four are unsigned) **this is where my collecting started

- Robert Ludlum's Bourne Trilogy (Signed first of Identity, Signed Limited first of Supremacy, Signed Limited Numbered first of Ultimatum)

-Thomas Harris - first editions of all five of his books, however as of yet all are unsigned

-Various signed and limited first editions from authors such as Robert McCammon, Brian Keene, Brian Hodge, Joe Hill, Tom Clancy, Nelson Demille and others.

-Limited Edition story collections such as The Crow: Shattered Dreams and Broken Lives and JK Potter's Embrace the Mutation.

-Various art books by Michael Whelan

-Assorted leather books from Easton Press, Franklin Library, and a few that I've had rebound myself.

-And any other first edition or signed book that tickles my fancy!

jemaher
03-03-2008, 06:55 PM
King was my intro into book collecting and the dark tower my intro into first editions and limited editions. since then, i have collected bradbury, vonnegut, mccarthy, faulkner, and hemingway signed editions I also have a smaller collection of fp wilson, garton, and laymon.

herbertwest
03-04-2008, 03:47 AM
collecting some Bernard Werber's stuff (1st eds, signed, short stories..)

wizardsrainbow
03-04-2008, 04:09 AM
98% King, but 2% Joe Hill, Tabitha King and Owen King.

Darkthoughts
03-04-2008, 04:11 AM
I have a signed Stardust and Coraline, by Gaiman, which has really given me the incentive to expand my Gaiman collection.

In general though, I tend to collect (and aim to collect) special editions of any book that I have particularly enjoyed.

goheat
03-04-2008, 06:44 AM
Besides King, the only other author I have every book from is Don Robertson! :unsure:

I have signed copies of Joe Hill's U.S. versions of HSB and 20th Century Ghosts, but no limiteds, etcetera.

Brice
03-04-2008, 09:13 AM
I have a couple S/L Joe Hill's, one personalised JH, and a couple other signed limited's by other authors. Aside from that I just collect books in general and horror specifically although aside from King and the above mentioned books I don't think I have anything particularly rare.

CRinVA
03-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Other that Sk I collect several authors as follows:

Joe Hill
Frank Herbert (all Dune plus some others)
Brian Herbert/Kevin J Anderson (all Dune - all signed - some others)
Terry Brooks - All Shanarra Books
JK Rowling - all 7 HP editions
Christopher Paolini - Eragon, Eldest (waiting on Brisngr)!
Mitch Albom
Besides SK

Other authors that I have at least multiple books by include:

CS Lewis
Ursala K Leguin
John Varley
Terry Goodkind
Dennis Lehane
Tabatha King
Jack Ketchum

LadyHitchhiker
03-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Umm... not trying to be inaccurate, but as far as collections go... I collect Michael Crichton as an author but as series go I collect as many star trek books as possible.

idlewarnings
03-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Besides King, the only other author I have every book from is Don Robertson! :unsure:

Great to see another Don Robertson collector. Robertson is the only other author I collect as well. I have everything in hardcover except The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread. And I need a copy of Make a Wish with a dj. I'm only missing one or two paperbacks. Most of his later books weren't issued in pb.

Amazon is showing that Harper is going to reprint TGTSSB in April, but I can't find any confirmation of this on Harper Collins website.

Pics:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3182/2310737741_b8be249da2_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2030/2311547242_f44838ccaf_o.jpg

NeedfulKings
03-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Awesome collection, idlewarnings! I don't think I've heard of Robertson before, but I'll remember the name now.

goheat
03-05-2008, 05:52 AM

Great to see another Don Robertson collector. Robertson is the only other author I collect as well. I have everything in hardcover except The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread. And I need a copy of Make a Wish with a dj. I'm only missing one or two paperbacks. Most of his later books weren't issued in pb.

Amazon is showing that Harper is going to reprint TGTSSB in April, but I can't find any confirmation of this on Harper Collins website.

Very nice collection, idlewarnings! ;)

Yeah, I actually first found the info on the re-release of TGTSSB in a Harper Collins Childrens "Summer 2008 Domestic Rights Guide" document online (now all they have online is the Fall 2008 Guide) late last year, but, as you say, the title itself doesn't seem to appear on their site. Still, if you Google the ISBN 0061452963, many places list it! I've pre-ordered it through Amazon, and I hope it does well, because I think, as Stephen King says, Don Robertson is a fantastic writer, and, unfortunately, relatively unknown...

idlewarnings
03-11-2008, 06:29 PM

Very nice collection, idlewarnings! ;)

Yeah, I actually first found the info on the re-release of TGTSSB in a Harper Collins Childrens "Summer 2008 Domestic Rights Guide" document online (now all they have online is the Fall 2008 Guide) late last year, but, as you say, the title itself doesn't seem to appear on their site. Still, if you Google the ISBN 0061452963, many places list it! I've pre-ordered it through Amazon, and I hope it does well, because I think, as Stephen King says, Don Robertson is a fantastic writer, and, unfortunately, relatively unknown...

Thanks, goheat.

The cover art for the new edition TGTSSB is online at amazon. There's a quote from King on the cover.

John_and_Yoko
03-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Oddly, I don't really think of myself as a collector of specific authors' works.... In fact, when I got the Stephen King books that I currently have, I thought, "Wow, my bookshelf now looks like the Stephen King section in a bookstore," and pondered (not seriously) the idea of starting a limited, informal library with all my books, CDs, DVDs, etc....

But I have sort of collected other authors too, now that I think about it--if by "collected" you mean that I have a significant number of books (say, four or more) by that author, and intended to have that many books by the same author, and have read and enjoyed them. With that definition, then, I'd say I've collected the following authors in chronological order (of the authors' births):

L. Frank Baum: I have all of his Oz books plus a collection of his short stories about Oz, and also his favorite of his books, Queen Zixi of Ix, or The Story of the Magic Cloak. Actually I'm not sure that counts, since all the Oz books are in a single series (and in a single volume)....

A. A. Milne: I have his two books of children's verse as well as both his Winnie-the-Pooh books.

J. R. R. Tolkien: I have The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, of course, but also The Silmarillion, The Tolkien Reader, and The Children of Hurin (just came out last year).

Dr. Seuss: What? He was an author too, and he was probably the first one (or one of the first) that I ever collected.

Kenneth Oppel: I have his Silverwing trilogy, plus its prequel Darkwing, and also the books Airborn and Skybreaker. Those are two separate series, so I think that's an exception to my "series count as single books" rule....

To a lesser extent I've looked at Roald Dahl and Richard Adams, but I don't think I'd call myself collectors of them....

And yet it wasn't until I started collecting Stephen King works that I really started thinking of myself as a "collector" of an author's works.... Weird....

Scoogs
03-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Nothing wrong with Dr. Seuss at all.
A few months back a museum in the North Chicago suburbs had a show of original Dr. Seuss illustrations and I believe some sculptures.

I really regret missing that, but I didn't find out about it until just before the exhibition closed.

John_and_Yoko
03-11-2008, 09:17 PM
A few months back a museum in the North Chicago suburbs had a show of original Dr. Seuss illustrations and I believe some sculptures.

I really regret missing that, but I didn't find out about it until just before the exhibition closed.

Yeah, I know what you mean....

Speaking of Dr. Seuss, I have a book called Dr. Seuss Goes to War, which contains several political cartoons he drew for P. M. Magazine, propagandizing U. S. involvement in World War II. Kind of odd seeing his illustrations associated with such very adult themes....

jhanic
03-12-2008, 03:38 AM
I tutor first grade reading in one of the local urban schools and when one of the kids picks a Dr. Seuss book, I'm not sure who enjoys it more, him or me!

John

jemaher
03-12-2008, 06:04 AM
first i heard was ideal genuine man and i bought it because it was signed by king

goheat
03-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Thanks, goheat.

The cover art for the new edition TGTSSB is online at amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Thing-Since-Sliced-Bread/dp/0061452963/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205288644&sr=8-1). There's a quote from King on the cover.

Excellent, thanks for the heads-up. The SK cover endorsement can only help! :excited:

herbertwest
03-13-2008, 05:18 AM
oh I forgot to tell..
so i am mainly collecting king, + bernard werber (anthologies, mags, 1st eds, signed book... and i own an ARC personnalised to me... :-) )
one interesting thing about this author is that he usually draw some stuff :-)

and i also have a personnalised book by amelie nothomb, a belgian author (1st ed of my favourite book.. personnalised to me :-)

Cutter
03-13-2008, 06:20 AM

I saw a showing of Dr. Seuss paintings in December, I think in Laguna Beach? (Can't remember, too many beaches in LA/Orange County) He was pretty darn good, I liked it a lot. If I had the money I would have purchased one, there were some affordable ones that were around a thousand.

Shoveler
03-14-2008, 12:45 PM
I also collect quite a bit of Dean Koontz (and his 267 or so pen names!), F. Paul Wilson (there must be other Repairman Jack fans in this forum!), Robert R. McCammon, and Dan Simmons. Seeing all of the Dan Simmons collectors, is it safe to assume I'm not the only who got turned on to this author after getting Night Visions 5 because of the SK contributions to that book? I was hooked for life after reading Vanni Fucci, and have loved all of his work. As for starting points, if you enjoy SF at all, I'd definitely start with Hyperion. I'd alsao recommend going to the bookstore, picking up "Prayers to Broken Stones", and reading just the intros from Harlan Ellison and Dan Simmons, pretty funny stuff!

jhanic
03-14-2008, 12:49 PM
I've enjoyed Dan Simmons ever since I read his first book, Song of Kali. It is truely a masterpiece.

John

carlosdetweiller
03-14-2008, 01:11 PM
I also collect quite a bit of Dean Koontz (and his 267 or so pen names!), F. Paul Wilson (there must be other Repairman Jack fans in this forum!), Robert R. McCammon, and Dan Simmons. Seeing all of the Dan Simmons collectors, is it safe to assume I'm not the only who got turned on to this author after getting Night Visions 5 because of the SK contributions to that book? I was hooked for life after reading Vanni Fucci, and have loved all of his work. As for starting points, if you enjoy SF at all, I'd definitely start with Hyperion. I'd alsao recommend going to the bookstore, picking up "Prayers to Broken Stones", and reading just the intros from Harlan Ellison and Dan Simmons, pretty funny stuff!

Shoveler we collect virtually the same authors. I have extensive collections of Simmons, McCammon, Koontz and Wilson. It's uncanny that you listed those four.
I also collect Peter Straub, King (of course), Ray Garton and, lastly, Anne Rice who I really don't read anymore.

Randall Flagg
03-14-2008, 02:14 PM
I just love some of Simmons, and can't/don't want other stuff. The Sci-fi doesn't move me, and his latestand forthcoming seem slow and prodding.
That being said, Song of Kali, Entropy's Bed at Midnight, Lovedeath, even the Joe Kurtz stuff were mindblowing.

jemaher
03-22-2008, 04:49 PM
william styron and Wyndham, John...

swintek
03-22-2008, 05:48 PM
I collect authors I love to READ, as I'm sure most do here:

-King
-Neil Gaiman
-Alan Moore
-Dan Simmons
-Tim Powers
-Joe Lansdale
-Ray Garton

Are the guys that I have to have EVERYTHING from (well, everything humanly possible on a blue collar budget!), but I also actively seek

-New Sherlock Holmes Editions, or Items
-Tolkien
-David J. Schow
-Caitlin R. Kiernan (a truly fantastic writer, who is criminally under-read)

Ron

idlewarnings
03-31-2008, 06:25 PM
The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread has been the lone holdout from my Don Robertson collection for years. I guess I've been waiting for the right copy at the right price. Apparently, $42 is the right price. This is an ex-library copy with glue on the inside boards, stamps on the page ends, and a missing FFEP, but I'm still absolutely thrilled with it. It's tight and clean and square. Except for the faded spine the dustjacket is a peach. I keep taking it off the shelf to admire it. I can't believe I finally own this book. :excited: :excited:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2224/2370645779_d3f5f3f052.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2016/2370645785_3da60143dc.jpg

Randall Flagg
03-31-2008, 07:26 PM
Congratulations!
I am not familiar with the title, but know Don Robertson has written some very interesting books-including 'The Ideal, Genuine Man (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=2467).

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/Ideal_Genuine_Man_face.jpg

Clacke
03-31-2008, 10:36 PM
Congratulations on completing the collection! :thumbsup:

carlosdetweiller
04-01-2008, 04:13 AM
That is a nice looking book. I did a quick search on ABE and it looks like you got a good deal.

I'm somewhat embarrassed to say I have never read Robertson. I think I really need to read something by him.

goheat
04-01-2008, 05:17 AM
The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread has been the lone holdout from my Don Robertson collection for years. I guess I've been waiting for the right copy at the right price. Apparently, $42 is the right price. This is an ex-library copy with glue on the inside boards, stamps on the page ends, and a missing FFEP, but I'm still absolutely thrilled with it. It's tight and clean and square. Except for the faded spine the dustjacket is a peach. I keep taking it off the shelf to admire it. I can't believe I finally own this book. :excited: :excited:

Wow, nice acquisition, idlewarnings! :clap:

goheat
04-01-2008, 05:24 AM
That is a nice looking book. I did a quick search on ABE and it looks like you got a good deal.

I'm somewhat embarrassed to say I have never read Robertson. I think I really need to read something by him.

You won't be sorry! The first of his that I read was Paradise Falls, and I was hooked. That one (it's actually two volumes) is pretty easy to find on ABE, Amazon, etcetera...

idlewarnings
04-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Thanks everybody.

I'm embarassed to admit, despite having collected all DR's books, I've yet to read everything he's written. I still haven't read his first three Civil War books, and Paradise Falls has been on my nightstand, half read for almost 2 years (it's good but it's a monster...1000+ pgs).

Bob, I think TGTSSB is a good place to start with Robertson. It'll be back in print in about 3 weeks. My other two favorites are Praise the Human Season (don't be turned off by the cheesy, romance-y pb artwork) and A Flag Full of Stars.

what
04-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Eh... I have a few Koontz, Crichton, lots of King, and a few others not really a collector I guess, but I'm starting! My prizes are signed copies of both books by Bruce Campbell. I'm currently working on getting all my king books in s/l versions...

goheat
04-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks everybody.

I'm embarassed to admit, despite having collected all DR's books, I've yet to read everything he's written. I still haven't read his first three Civil War books, and Paradise Falls has been on my nightstand, half read for almost 2 years (it's good but it's a monster...1000+ pgs).

The last of his that I read were the three books in the Civil War trilogy, and loved them. They actually piqued my interest enough in the Civil War to search out and read the Jeff/Michael Shaara trilogy: Gods and Generals, The Killer Angels, and The Last Full Measure...

herbertwest
04-05-2008, 02:09 AM
the british book of Gordon & Roderick have just be published in France...

i think that the 1st ed of this book is extremely rare, we talked bout it on tdt.net no?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51UbaXw1Z3L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

herbertwest
04-18-2008, 02:35 AM
there are some Brian Keene fans around here...
Which novels or collections is your favourite?

What would you recommend to discover that author?

carlosdetweiller
04-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Here is something I'll bet not many have seen. I had never seen one until I got it yesterday.

This is the uncorrected proof state of Anne Rice's INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE. I knew it existed but had never had the chance to buy or bid on one. Knopf did a pretty heavy publicity push for the book and sent out a fairly large number of "Special Preview Edition" copies. At least it was a large number for an unknown writer's first book. These "Special Preview Edition" copies are reasonably scarce and usually sell for a fairly high price. Many collectors and booksellers incorrectly refer to this "Special Preview Edition" as a proof but it is actually more of an ARC.

To me the situation is very much like the advance states of Stephen King's CARRIE. A fairly large number of "Special Edition" copies in glossy white printed wrappers are available and sell for big bucks and are often mistakenly called proofs.

The uncorrected proof of INTERVIEW is on the left and the "Special Preview Edition" is on the right. I have no idea how many proofs were done. I suspect not many because she was an unknown writer at the time and I have not seen one for sale in over 15 years of looking.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/interviewvampireproofs.jpg

jhanic
04-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Very, very nice, Carlos!

John

wizardsrainbow
04-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Sweet purchase. You the man! LOL

Matt
04-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Another thing I never knew I would see. :rock:

Those are cool as hell

Scoogs
04-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Very cool Carlos!

Patrick
04-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Amazing. :clap:

NeedfulKings
04-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Powell's Books in Portland had a copy of the Interview "Special Preview" thing. I can't remember the price, but since it was only a few pages thick (if I remember right), I didn't go for it. I seem to think it was priced at or just over $100. I might be wrong...

I've never seen the uncorrected proof. Well, I don't think I've ever seen a true first edition either! LOL!

herbertwest
04-25-2008, 12:49 AM
still awsome!

carlosdetweiller
04-25-2008, 03:52 AM
Powell's Books in Portland had a copy of the Interview "Special Preview" thing. I can't remember the price, but since it was only a few pages thick (if I remember right), I didn't go for it. I seem to think it was priced at or just over $100. I might be wrong...

The "Special Preview Edition" is the full book and not an excerpt. I did a quick check on ABE and copies are still listed at $500 and up (depending on condition). So if you can get one from Powell's for $100 it would be a pretty good deal.

I don't collect Anne Rice nearly as much as I did in the past so I am not up to date on all the different states of the advance copies. The only advance excerpt I have seen is of THE WITCHING HOUR. It is about 25 pages in length. $100 would be a very high price for that one, IMO.

Scoogs
04-25-2008, 04:02 PM
This site (http://www.dbutts.com/annerice/) is similar to The Collector's site, but deals with Anne Rice books. I notice he has the preview edition for sale at $599.

jhanic
04-25-2008, 05:39 PM
The link didn't work for me.

John

carlosdetweiller
04-25-2008, 05:42 PM
The link didn't work for me.

John

Just remove the "http//" in the address bar.

jhanic
04-25-2008, 06:10 PM
Thanks, Bob.

John

Cutter
04-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Well I just won a book that I have been looking for at least two years, minimum. It’s a play by Neil Gaiman called Murder Mysteries. He did two plays, and they were both done in great editions by Biting Dog Press. I’ve had the other one “Snow, Glass, Apples” for a few years, and there always seems to be copies of those around, but I’ve never be able to find this one until now. And I was the only bidder, lol Anyway this was the last grail item of Neil Gaiman’s I was missing from my collection. I have pretty much everything I want that's collectible from Gaiman, except the lettered editions of these two plays. But I’ve never seen those on the market either. Oh well… But that's all I'm really looking for now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290224904987&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=019

jhanic
04-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Congratulations, Geoff!

John

carlosdetweiller
04-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Congratulations, Geoff! It's such a great feeling to finally get something you've been wanting for a long time.

Fsmdr
04-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Nice purchase, Geoff!. It looks like a really beautifully produced book as well. Very nice.

ATG
04-29-2008, 03:56 PM
Robert E. Howard

Cutter
04-29-2008, 04:46 PM
Congratulations, Geoff! It's such a great feeling to finally get something you've been wanting for a long time.
It is a huge relief. I thought I would never find one, as every time I looked on abebooks, mass search engines or ebay, it never came up. So I am a very, very happy camper. And yes, these books are beautifully done. All by hand, and George Walker does wood block prints for the images. These books are beautiful collector pieces. I now actually have four of their books. Two by Gaiman, one by Ketchum and one by Keene.

and thanks everyone :)

idlewarnings
04-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Congrats on obtaining your grail, Geoff. That's a great looking book.

oy-the-brave
04-29-2008, 07:01 PM
I hope I am not over doing this but I have 1 other book to sell (I am trying to list them all at real good prices so hopefully offering them here is OK):

Mirrormask, the Illustrated Script of the Motion Picture from the Jim Henson Company by Neil Gaiman, & Dave McKean both who have signed on the 2nd page from book # 292 of 500 1st Editions. Published by Subterranean Press. Includes the full screenplay, dialogue, cut material from the finished film, over 1700 storyboards, and notes and emails that helped form the basis of the film. 332 oversized pages, in new condition.

Original publisher price 125.00, I will sell for only 50.00 plus shipping (actual cost).

Patrick
04-29-2008, 08:40 PM
Congrats, Geoff, looks a wonderful book.

Damn, Dave, less than two weeks ago I ordered Mirrormask from Sub Press. Too bad (for me) you didn't post sooner.

oy-the-brave
04-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Congrats, Geoff, looks a wonderful book.

Damn, Dave, less than two weeks ago I ordered Mirrormask from Sub Press. Too bad (for me) you didn't post sooner.

Sorry Patrick that I didn't post sooner, are you sure you don't need a second copy :evil:

mae
05-07-2008, 07:19 AM
I bought several years ago, maybe as long ago as seven or eight, the first volume of the authoritative HP Lovecraft writings published by Arkham House, a really nice hardcover. It was The Dunwich Horror and Others, the first volume of three, with this cover art: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Dunwich_sixth.jpg The printing inside is stated as Corrected Tenth Printing, which, according to Wikipedia, was published in 1997.

Since I bought this book a while ago and never really read it until now, I haven't looked for the other volumes, and only now do I discover there were newer printings with new (and, in my opinion, worse) covers, such as this: http://64.227.162.73/miva/graphics/00000001/DunwichHorrorandOthers1.jpg

Can anyone help me? If I order online, how can I make sure I'm getting the 1997 editions with the old-style artwork?

Thanks.

Randall Flagg
05-08-2008, 06:52 AM
I am going to move this into the Collector area of Calvin's Corner as its own thread. Once you (hopefully) get an answer it will be merged into the general questions thread.

jhanic
05-08-2008, 06:55 AM
I bought several years ago, maybe as long ago as seven or eight, the first volume of the authoritative HP Lovecraft writings published by Arkham House, a really nice hardcover. It was The Dunwich Horror and Others, the first volume of three, with this cover art: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Dunwich_sixth.jpg The printing inside is stated as Corrected Tenth Printing, which, according to Wikipedia, was published in 1997.

Since I bought this book a while ago and never really read it until now, I haven't looked for the other volumes, and only now do I discover there were newer printings with new (and, in my opinion, worse) covers, such as this: http://64.227.162.73/miva/graphics/00000001/DunwichHorrorandOthers1.jpg

Can anyone help me? If I order online, how can I make sure I'm getting the 1997 editions with the old-style artwork?

Thanks.

Pablo, the only way to be sure is to ask the seller for a picture of the dust jacket. If he says he cannot supply one, move on.

John

e_taylor
05-08-2008, 07:51 AM
Also, if you want a very well built and nice looking copy, you might wish to track down the Easton Press edition of this title. Its gorgeous, but pretty scarce these days....

mae
05-08-2008, 10:32 AM
I'm only looking for the 1997 editions for their artwork, to match my first volume. I could order them right now from Amazon or directly from Arkham House, but I'm sure I'll get the newer versions with the very cheesy covers. I checked, though not extensively yet, eBay and Half.com and most again are selling the newer editions it seems.

Cutter
05-09-2008, 05:58 AM
You are looking for the Raymond Bayless just jacket. Just ask the seller is he is the artist for the dust jacket.

here's one for $30 on abebooks
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=1082890594&searchurl=an%3Dlovecraft%26kn%3DRaymond%2BBayless% 26sts%3Dt%26tn%3DThe%2BDunwich%2BHorror%2Band%2BOt hers%26x%3D34%26y%3D18

btw, it's a stock photo, but he states the illustrator, which is Bayless.

btw, you can always send emails to these guys on eBay or abebooks and ask for a photo to be sent to you.

Cutter
05-09-2008, 06:03 AM
I could resist throwing in some images of Arkham House Lovecraft books I own. I like to collect some Lovecraft (not a huge collector) :cowboy:

http://www.gusfromcbus.com/webimages/lovecraft.gif

http://www.gusfromcbus.com/authorpages/hplovecraft/imagescollections/dagon_img.gif

jhanic
05-09-2008, 07:07 AM
I sold all my Arkham House books a year or so ago--I had an almost complete set up to about 1980 or so--for a goodly sum. The Lovecrafts all were first editions, first printings. I just got tired of having them around. Silly, huh?

John

mae
05-09-2008, 07:29 AM
Geoff, that's a really nice collection. I only now started collecting Lovecraft, and these are the editions I'm after (according to Wikipedia):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/43/At_the_mountains_of_madness_fifth.jpg/200px-At_the_mountains_of_madness_fifth.jpg 0-87054-038-6 Stated "Corrected Eighth Printing" 1997

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/54/Dagon_fifth.jpg/200px-Dagon_fifth.jpg 0-87054-039-4 Stated "Corrected Eighth Printing" 1997

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/4d/Horror_in_the_museum_third.jpg/200px-Horror_in_the_museum_third.jpg 0-87054-040-8 Stated "Corrected Fourth Printing" 1992

Cutter
05-09-2008, 12:40 PM
I sold all my Arkham House books a year or so ago--I had an almost complete set up to about 1980 or so--for a goodly sum. The Lovecrafts all were first editions, first printings. I just got tired of having them around. Silly, huh?

John
Well if you got a lot of money, hey what the heck, why not. *shrug* Anyway there are a lot of people who like to collect Arkham House books, myself included, although I only have about 30 books. I would have loved to see that collection, though, John!

and thanks Pablo!

carlosdetweiller
05-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Anne Rice used to be a favorite author of mine but I don't read her much anymore. I do still collect her books, however, and have had some remarkable luck in the past several months obtaining proofs of her earliest works. Most (except the Interview With The Vampire proof) were obtained at very modest prices despite extreme scarcity for at least three of the titles. It's been quite a run of good luck.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/riceproofs1.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/riceproofs2.jpg

Randall Flagg
05-12-2008, 04:47 PM
It's been quite a run of good luck.

Persistence and determination create good luck.
Congratulations.

Seymour_Glass
05-12-2008, 04:50 PM
I collect J.D. Salinger and Philip K. Dick.

Rahfa
05-12-2008, 05:11 PM
I collect J.D. Salinger and Philip K. Dick.

I'd love to start collecting P.K. Dick, but the 1st editions are SO expensive...I wish there was a cheaper alternative to get started.

funky dredd
05-13-2008, 05:04 AM
Those are nice Bob! My local used book store has a first of Interview on the shelf for sale. It's mine :) He is such a nice guy he's allowing me to make payments on it. It's in really good shape too...$200. Once I get it I will have all of the firsts of the Vampire Chronicles!

carlosdetweiller
05-13-2008, 05:47 AM
Those are nice Bob! My local used book store has a first of Interview on the shelf for sale. It's mine :) He is such a nice guy he's allowing me to make payments on it. It's in really good shape too...$200. Once I get it I will have all of the firsts of the Vampire Chronicles!

Congratulations. INTERVIEW is a tough book to find in really good shape. The dust jacket is very prone to wear, scratching, etc. with the gold foil coating.

INTERVIEW is a great book, IMO. And I still count THE VAMPIRE LESTAT as one of my top 10 all-time favorite books. THE QUEEN OF THE DAMNED was nearly as good. And then they seemed to drop off for me. I started enjoying each one less than the one before. By the time I finished the abysmal VIOLIN I was ready to stop reading Rice all together. I haven't read her two newest books and I probably will not read her autobiography which will be published in Fall, 2008.

Cutter
05-13-2008, 06:28 AM
[quote=funky dredd;167187]
INTERVIEW is a great book, IMO. And I still count THE VAMPIRE LESTAT as one of my top 10 all-time favorite books. THE QUEEN OF THE DAMNED was nearly as good. And then they seemed to drop off for me. I started enjoying each one less than the one before. By the time I finished the abysmal VIOLIN I was ready to stop reading Rice all together. I haven't read her two newest books and I probably will not read her autobiography which will be published in Fall, 2008.
This was the same for me. I loved the first three books, some of the best reads I've read, but after that I just couldn't get into her work anymore.

funky dredd
05-13-2008, 07:19 AM
Congratulations. INTERVIEW is a tough book to find in really good shape. The dust jacket is very prone to wear, scratching, etc. with the gold foil coating.

It's not in the greatest of shape but still good for me. There is some wear, but no scratching and the wear is pretty minimal. When I finish paying for it I will post it. I have to say I enjoyed the first four books but the rest were let downs. On the other side (Anne Rampling) I enjoyed her Exit To Eden when I read it many moons ago and hopefully one day I will come across a first edition of that. I don't think I will pay a lot for it because I don't think it was that popular.

mae
05-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Wow, some pretty cool news, at least for myself:

http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/45479-b-and-n-does-lovecraft.html

So now I can stop looking for those expensive AH volumes and get the B&N when it comes out, and gift my current copy of Dunwich to someone. However, I'll still need to hunt down the Miscellaneous Writings and the Revisions volumes -- so maybe this is all false hope :)

Min
05-16-2008, 09:26 AM
To be honest, I'm not much of a King collector (at least compared to some here). I'm more of a sci-fi/fantasy collector, focusing mainly on George R. R. Martin. I'm currently trying to complete my collection of the first appearances of his short stories, which started in fanzines and comics in the 60s.

Cutter
05-16-2008, 10:15 AM
To be honest, I'm not much of a King collector (at least compared to some here). I'm more of a sci-fi/fantasy collector, focusing mainly on George R. R. Martin. I'm currently trying to complete my collection of the first appearances of his short stories, which started in fanzines and comics in the 60s.

Good luck! George R. R. Martin is sweet, I also collect Martin. I like horror, fantasy, and sci-fi, and George does all three. So he's a joy to read, and collect.

Patrick
05-22-2008, 08:41 PM
Other than King and Hill, I collect the S/Ls of Koontz's Odd Thomas books. My other signed books are just a random mix from authors I like. :)

I know the new Odd Thomas book is being offered in an S/L, but I'm wondering if anyone is going to a Koontz signing any time soon. I'd like to get a personalized signed 1st/1st of the trade edition of ODD HOURS.

carlosdetweiller
05-23-2008, 01:40 AM
Other than King and Hill, I collect the S/Ls of Koontz's Odd Thomas books. My other signed books are just a random mix from authors I like. :)

I know the new Odd Thomas book is being offered in an S/L, but I'm wondering if anyone is going to a Koontz signing any time soon. I'd like to get a personalized signed 1st/1st of the trade edition of ODD HOURS.

I don't think he is doing any formal signings for the book. I ordered a signed/dated copy from Book Carnival a couple of weeks ago. They said he was just doing as many as were ordered at his home and there were no plans for an event. If I recall correctly they were not honoring requests for personalization.

I should qualify the above statement by saying that I don't keep up with Koontz's comings and goings and he may very well have some formal signings scheduled but the way the Book Carnival website read I got the feeling that he didn't.

Cutter
05-23-2008, 06:17 AM
Book Carnival
Just to note, Koontz signs of all of his trade editions when they come out through this store.

carlosdetweiller
05-23-2008, 06:49 AM
Book Carnival
Just to note, Koontz signs of all of his trade editions when they come out through this store.

And you can get them for just the retail price plus shipping. It is worth it to be on Book Carnival's mailing list. They also have signings by several other authors.

jwangner
05-23-2008, 07:06 AM
I collect SK books and items, have started a collection on Joe Hill, Owen King, and Tabitha. Some signed, majority aren't.

Also have Brad Meltzer (signed), and some books by Michael Connelly (signed). I have many Koontz books, but have stopped purchasing Connelly and Koontz for now - my bookcases are getting too filled with the King, et al items.

carlosdetweiller
05-23-2008, 07:32 AM
I collect SK books and items, have started a collection on Joe Hill, Owen King, and Tabitha.

Do you collect books written by Tabitha because you really enjoy her writing or do you collect them because she is King's wife? I'm just curious.

jwangner
05-23-2008, 07:43 AM
I just recently started collecting Tabitha...mainly because of last month's PEN/Faulkner reading/reception in Washington DC. I went and listened to her reading (as well as Owen's and Stephen's) and I became curious about her writing. Prior to that night, I really didn't know what to expect from her writing or if I would be interested.

But I read Candles Burning, and enjoyed it. So I went on to Survivor. I liked that book too. So now I am trying to track down some of her other books - even the libraries in my area don't stock her books in all their locations :angry:

NeedfulKings
05-23-2008, 09:09 AM
I collect SK books and items, have started a collection on Joe Hill, Owen King, and Tabitha.

Do you collect books written by Tabitha because you really enjoy her writing or do you collect them because she is King's wife? I'm just curious.

So far, I'm a "because she's King's wife" collector, but I do intend to read her books. I've heard some were good...some not so. I've got 4 or 5 First Editions (including Small World) and one signed.

Patrick
05-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks, Bob and Geoff. I'll google Book Carnival. :thumbsup:

razz
05-23-2008, 04:16 PM
i'm a big Crichton fan.http://z.about.com/d/bestsellers/1/0/E/1/-/-/Next_Crichton.jpghttp://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n0/n1945.jpg

http://z.about.com/d/classiclit/1/7/_/n/2/9780060541811_andromeda.jpg

carlosdetweiller
05-23-2008, 04:19 PM

So far, I'm a "because she's King's wife" collector, but I do intend to read her books. I've heard some were good...some not so. I've got 4 or 5 First Editions (including Small World) and one signed.

I was just curious. jwangner is one of the few with whom I've had communication who has actually read and enjoyed Tabitha's writing. I've tried a couple of books and have decided her writing just isn't for me. I think that being King's wife has probably helped her book sales more than her writing. Just one man's opinion.

John_and_Yoko
05-23-2008, 04:29 PM
I was just curious. jwangner is one of the few with whom I've had communication who has actually read and enjoyed Tabitha's writing. I've tried a couple of books and have decided her writing just isn't for me. I think that being King's wife has probably helped her book sales more than her writing. Just one man's opinion.

I haven't read any of her work, so I can't give an opinion, but I wasn't particularly interested in the excerpt she read to those high school kids in Washington on TV....

I was honestly more interested in what Owen read of his work, and that got me curious to read it in full (if I could find it, that is....).

Scoogs
05-23-2008, 05:57 PM
I've never read anything by Tabitha either, but I found a hardcover(BCE) of The Trap at the last library sale I went to. I'll read it someday, but it's down near the bottom of the list of books to read, so I'm just as likely to give it away.

NeedfulKings
05-23-2008, 06:20 PM
I think that being King's wife has probably helped her book sales more than her writing. Just one man's opinion.

How could it not? That's my opinion as well. I haven't read Owen, but of course, I've read Joe. I do plan to read Tabitha. I will likely start with Small World, since it's her first. Whether I like it or not, I'll poll some fans to see what I should read after that.

Edited to add: I've proclaimed myself a "super collector" for Michael Arnzen. He's a small press guy, except for his Dell pb release in the 90s, but I like his stuff. He's sending me a few more items as we speak. If you click my library below, you'll see what I have so far.

jwangner
05-23-2008, 08:11 PM
If I could chime in here. Hearing her speak with one of her "novels in progress", I became curious. Maybe it was because she was SK's wife, maybe it wasn't...can't really tell right now (not much on introspection), but I enjoyed Candles Burning and Survivor.

I read for pleasure, I may not remember the main character or every detail from one book to the next, but I seek enjoyment, and a way to get 'away from it all'. Tabitha may hit the mark with some, but not all. And there is nothing wrong with that. I mean, James Patterson, Koontz, may be pedestrian with some, but they give me a chance to forget about work and family for just a little bit. That's what books should do. Give you a little escape from the day-to-day life.

carlosdetweiller - yes, maybe because she is Sk's wife, she sells more books. However, now that I read two of her books, I want to read more. And not because she is SK's wife. But because I am interested and curious in what she has to say. Which is unusual because I normally don't read woman writers.

So, NeedfulKings and Scoogs, I'll be here if you want to send her books my way ;)

NeedfulKings
05-23-2008, 09:21 PM
Which is unusual because I normally don't read woman writers.

So, NeedfulKings and Scoogs, I'll be here if you want to send her books my way ;)

Oh no! You ain't getting my books!!!! :D

Try Kelly Armstrong, by the way. Bitten is a good start. I think she's a smart writer. Fun, funny, but horror all the way.

Old Man Splitfoot
05-24-2008, 03:14 AM
By "collect" do you mean go after the rare, first print, signed stuff? In that case, even though I have 30+ HC Stephen King books, I wouldn't even qualify as a collector. But screw that, my bookshelf begs to differ.

Aside from King, I go after Neil Gaiman and Orson Scott Card. I own all of Gaiman's novels, and both collections of short stories, though only three of which are HC. I have a good chunk of Card's stuff, but only the Ender's Shadow series and Empire are HC. Some day, I'll have all of King's books in HC; that's been a goal of mine for years.

Pasiuk57
05-30-2008, 12:20 PM
For those of you that remember, The Highfield Mole and Tunnels. The sequel is out now. DEEPER. The authors have "doodled" many of this edition, just like they did on their first books, and now have sold the film rights to their first book.People were hyping it calling it "The NEXT Harry Potter", we will see but
there are absolutely no proofs for book 2.
I have the book coming and am excited to read the sequel.

herbertwest
05-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Isnt Tunnels just a reprint name for The Highfield Mole?

Pasiuk57
05-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Yes
The Highfield Mole came first in Hardcover
The paperback is Tunnels
Mike

namelessnpoor
06-01-2008, 02:43 PM
I was looking through my shelves and found that i have 2 copies of signed Colin Powell book, My American Journey. My mothr works at the State Department in D.C. and she went to his office and had them signed, They are personalised, One was suppose to go to a friend of mine i worked with but he quit before I got the books back and no one knew where he went, haven't talked to him since. Its made out to Charles.
If anyones interested in it let me know, i know someone on here collects political books but i couldn't remember who.
I would gladly trade it for something by King, maybe one of the more inexpensive less sought after signed books.

Hannah
06-11-2008, 09:23 AM
That's sweet! I wish I could just look through my shelves and find random signed books.

Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough yet. :orely:

Cutter
06-11-2008, 11:12 AM
That's sweet! I wish I could just look through my shelves and find random signed books.

Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough yet. :orely:

lol, I've done this. Pulled books out, and gone "Wait, this is signed, when did I get that?" Where I just didn't realize the copy was signed. ;)

Hannah
06-11-2008, 11:58 AM
:lol: Nice.

Arthur Heath
06-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Niel Gaiman, Orson Scott Card, Chuck Palahniuk of course, HG Wells, Ray Bradbury is a good start. Oh and Michael Crichton

herbertwest
06-12-2008, 12:29 AM
I was looking through my shelves and found that i have 2 copies of signed Colin Powell book, My American Journey. My mothr works at the State Department in D.C. and she went to his office and had them signed, They are personalised, One was suppose to go to a friend of mine i worked with but he quit before I got the books back and no one knew where he went, haven't talked to him since. Its made out to Charles.
If anyones interested in it let me know, i know someone on here collects political books but i couldn't remember who.
I would gladly trade it for something by King, maybe one of the more inexpensive less sought after signed books.

DOlan maybe?

Cutter
06-14-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm actually pretty geeked up on this one. Yesterday I received a personalized advance reader's copy of Gaiman's The Graveyard Book. This was a surprise gift by a publisher. It's release date isn't until October.

http://www.gusfromcbus.com/authorpages/neilgaiman/imageschildrensbooks/thegraveyardbookarc_sig.gif

jhanic
06-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Congratulations, Geoff! A great acquisition!

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
06-15-2008, 12:52 AM
Nice one Geoff.

herbertwest
06-15-2008, 07:46 AM
really nice!

Cutter
06-15-2008, 10:23 AM
thanks guys! :)

cuthbertallbad
06-15-2008, 08:15 PM
Congratulations.

artan
06-16-2008, 05:18 PM
This is my "Now We Are Six" (Poetry)

By A.A. Milne (Author of children's books Winnie-the-Pooh)
Illustrated by E. H. Shepard (The original illustrator of the Winnie-the-Pooh books)

It was published in 1927.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6533/winnie2xx9.jpg

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/7420/winniekp2.jpg

jhanic
06-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Very, very nice, Artan!

John

idlewarnings
06-17-2008, 04:50 AM
Nice book, artan.

Cutter
06-17-2008, 05:47 AM
interesting pickup artan, I like it!

herbertwest
06-17-2008, 08:41 AM
really nice!
i guess this is quite a scarce one

theBeamisHome
06-17-2008, 10:13 AM
you mean there are other authors??? :scared: :panic:

lol jk.. i have lots of books, but i don't collect any particular author quite like I do Sai King... I take guilty pleasure in old V.C. Andrews books.. the new ones don't do much for me.. I also loovvvee Tananarive Due.. she doesn't have many books but I love what I've read and I own two.. besides that I like to get the classics.. I have Dante (The whole Divine Comedy and the other one about that girl he loved.. i can't remember the name), and The Odyssey and Dracula and Dr. Jekhyll and Mr. Hyde (haven't even read that one).... Hans Christian Andersen and Grimm's Fairy Tales... I really don't even know all the books I have.. They hide.. Every now and then I'll find one and there are lots I've never even read and I just bought cuz they were really old or someone gave them to me... I wish I had pictures... probably not as impressive and you guys' stuff tho.

John_and_Yoko
06-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Definitely read Jekyll and Hyde. And if you do, put out of your mind the basic storyline as seen in the movies--that's all phony.

Read it new, in other words, like it's a mystery--it's called The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Definitely a good read (and short!).

theBeamisHome
06-17-2008, 01:06 PM
oh... i guess i was being dumb in thinking that all those storylines couldn't be wrong >< doy... i'll get it from jerz eventually.... *sigh*

John_and_Yoko
06-17-2008, 01:08 PM
oh... i guess i was being dumb in thinking that all those storylines couldn't be wrong >< doy... i'll get it from jerz eventually.... *sigh*

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I don't think you were being dumb--at worst, just ignorant. Which isn't such a bad thing. :)

theBeamisHome
06-17-2008, 01:10 PM
:rofl:
i just meant that i assumed i already knew the story... idk i think i got distracted tho... i usually read what i buy.

artan
06-17-2008, 03:14 PM
Nice book, artan.

interesting pickup artan, I like it!

really nice!
i guess this is quite a scarce one

Very, very nice, Artan!

John

Thanks a lot guys! :couple:

... I have Dante (The whole Divine Comedy and the other one about that girl he loved.. i can't remember the name)...

Could it be :

La Vita Nuova ("The New Life"), the story of his love for Beatrice Portinari?

;)

theBeamisHome
06-18-2008, 03:49 AM
Yes yes! thank you.. i knew it was something about life.. lol

NeedfulKings
06-22-2008, 08:07 PM
Just a few items. Ray Garton "The Folks and The Folks 2", inscribed to myself and my wife.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2/bookking/dt_com/fri015.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2/bookking/dt_com/fri016.jpg

Mike Arnzen sent me a few things. Proverbs and Monsters, Signed Limited Hardcover, won this years Bram Stoker.

Bitchfight ARC, inscribed to me.

Chapbook with one of his contributions. Signed.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2/bookking/dt_com/fri020.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2/bookking/dt_com/fri019.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2/bookking/dt_com/fri018.jpg

Cutter
06-23-2008, 05:25 AM
NeedfulKings that's sweet you got Garton to inscribe you a few books. Anyway you could let me in on that secret. I'm a Garton fan, too!

Also, I have Bitchfight, I've yet to read it, but I will.

Some great stuff there!

NeedfulKings
06-23-2008, 09:40 AM
NeedfulKings that's sweet you got Garton to inscribe you a few books. Anyway you could let me in on that secret. I'm a Garton fan, too!

Also, I have Bitchfight, I've yet to read it, but I will.

Some great stuff there!

Cool. I hope you like Arnzen. He's different, but good.

As for Garton, it's not too big of a secret. He sells items on eBay. I didn't know it was him until I had a messaging conversation that went something like this:

me: Will you combine shipping if I win 2 books? Also, how would you go about aquiring a personal inscription by Mr. Garton?

mace37: Sure, I'll just likely add $1 for the additional book. As for the inscription, I'm Ray Garton, so just ask. Thanks.

:excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

He's got quite a few things up. I might snag one or two more.

artan
06-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Cool. I hope you like Arnzen. He's different, but good.

As for Garton, it's not too big of a secret. He sells items on eBay. I didn't know it was him until I had a messaging conversation that went something like this:

me: Will you combine shipping if I win 2 books? Also, how would you go about aquiring a personal inscription by Mr. Garton?

mace37: Sure, I'll just likely add $1 for the additional book. As for the inscription, I'm Ray Garton, so just ask. Thanks.

:excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

WoW!!! :lol: Congrats!

Cutter
06-23-2008, 10:25 AM

What's his ebay name?

artan
06-23-2008, 10:32 AM
This arrived today:

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/9743/desadetp9.jpg http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/3121/desade2wo2.jpg

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/9445/desade3jd4.jpg

I like De Sade... :cool:

From Wiki: "Much of his writing was done during his imprisonment. The term "sadism" is derived from his name."

PS: gguthrie ... mace37 :lol:

NeedfulKings
06-23-2008, 01:00 PM

What's his ebay name?

Yes. mace37 is the name. :) :) :)

Cutter
06-24-2008, 05:34 AM
lol, didn't quite catch it. Thanks :P

namelessnpoor
07-14-2008, 02:17 PM
this category seemed the best place to put this, if not please feel free to move it.
Does anyone here collect old mens magazines such as Penthouse and Playboy? I only ask because i was recently given about 25 of these magazines, almost all from the 70's (roughly 72 - 78) there are a 2 Playboys from 67 and 68. They are in ok shape for theier age, i really have no use for them, was going to tyr ebay with them but if anyone here collects them i will let them go pretty cheap.
thanks
Rusty

NeedfulKings
07-19-2008, 04:32 PM
A couple of more Garton items. Blood and Lace (written as Joseph Locke) and a comic contribution to Verotika. Both are signed by Ray. :)

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2/bookking/dt_com/misc005.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2/bookking/dt_com/misc006.jpg

William50
07-19-2008, 04:34 PM
I collect Edgar Allen Poe books (mostly collections of short stories).

artan
07-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Congrats NeedfulKings, very nice!
---
William50, I will be very happy if you add some pics of your Poe books :drool:

inertia1215
07-22-2008, 12:59 PM
I know a few people have mentioned collecting Vonnegut but does anyone have any signed editions??

I was looking into getting a copy for my finace, she is a die-hard fan, and have found quite a few between $160-$400. Sound fair?

theBeamisHome
07-22-2008, 01:00 PM
ooooo inertia... pretty pit :D

i don't have any Vonnegut tho, sorry. welcome though!

Brice
07-22-2008, 01:05 PM
this category seemed the best place to put this, if not please feel free to move it.
Does anyone here collect old mens magazines such as Penthouse and Playboy? I only ask because i was recently given about 25 of these magazines, almost all from the 70's (roughly 72 - 78) there are a 2 Playboys from 67 and 68. They are in ok shape for theier age, i really have no use for them, was going to tyr ebay with them but if anyone here collects them i will let them go pretty cheap.
thanks
Rusty

I collect the old ones with SK appearances in them. I'm not sure I could afford them right now, but if you're referring to any of those I'd be interested in seeing what you've got.

Scoogs
07-22-2008, 06:01 PM
I know a few people have mentioned collecting Vonnegut but does anyone have any signed editions??

I was looking into getting a copy for my finace, she is a die-hard fan, and have found quite a few between $160-$400. Sound fair?

There's a wide variety of S/L Vonnegut books out ther and an equally wide range of prices. I'd suggest checking out Easton Press, I believe they still have a few signed books available through their online catalog.
(EP is a publisher of some pretty nice leather bound books.)

carlosdetweiller
07-22-2008, 06:09 PM
I'd suggest checking out Easton Press, I believe they still have a few signed books available through their online catalog.

I actually like Easton Press. I bought the 13 volume Classics of Horror series and am very pleased with it. I've also got the 5 volume Vampire Chronicles series by Anne Rice. Pretty books. I wouldn't want a room full of them but a few strategically placed can really dress up a collection.

inertia1215
07-22-2008, 06:52 PM
ooooo inertia... pretty pit :D

Thanks! Shes actually a Staffie, basically a cousin of the pit from the UK.

There's a wide variety of S/L Vonnegut books out ther and an equally wide range of prices. I'd suggest checking out Easton Press, I believe they still have a few signed books available through their online catalog.

Thanks for the info, will look into EP!

Scoogs
07-22-2008, 08:05 PM
I'd suggest checking out Easton Press, I believe they still have a few signed books available through their online catalog.

I actually like Easton Press. I bought the 13 volume Classics of Horror series and am very pleased with it. I've also got the 5 volume Vampire Chronicles series by Anne Rice. Pretty books. I wouldn't want a room full of them but a few strategically placed can really dress up a collection.

Agreed. I also picked up the Vampire Chronicles and one or two others. They're a little "classical" looking for my tastes, but they are still very nice quality books to have in your collection.

Did you get the signed edition of Interview?

carlosdetweiller
07-23-2008, 01:40 AM
Agreed. I also picked up the Vampire Chronicles and one or two others. They're a little "classical" looking for my tastes, but they are still very nice quality books to have in your collection.

Did you get the signed edition of Interview?

Yes, the first volume (Interview) is signed. I didn't think much about it at the time. It cost the same as the others, IIRC. Now the signed one has become quite the collector's item.

Rahfa
07-23-2008, 05:21 AM
Easton books are fun to collect because they're which ones become collectible is so random at times...

The two s/l's by Tim Russert were going for crazy money upon his death (irrational prices...they can't maintain the value, because nobody will remember him five years from now)...but I sold my copy of them years ago because I've never liked him...

Some book by Winston Churchill's son goes for big money for some strange reason....then books I would expect to have a lot of value don't get much interest at all: Jerry Lewis, Lauren Bacall...

I have probably 200 Easton signed books, though I've only bought my subscriber copies for awhile...they look cool, and I figure worse case I'll get most of my money back if I have to sell.

Although...before the 2004 election I spent $350 for an s/l John Kerry book, which I now couldn't sell for anything...oh well...

And, I have all three John McCain s/ls, including the very rare "Faith of my Fathers"...Financially, it will be to my benefit if he wins....but for the sake of the country, I hope he doesn't! Haha

Cutter
07-23-2008, 09:55 AM

That's the way I am with Easton. I have about 15 of them. I buy them if it's the best edition available, and I'm happy with it. But I see no need to buy a lot (and they can be expensive).

Cutter
07-23-2008, 09:58 AM

There are 5 available, and if you ask, I bet they have one or two more that are not on the site.

http://www.eastonpressbooks.com/leather/category.asp?id=32&step=72

herbertwest
07-23-2008, 10:14 AM
i dont really collect anything except King, but there is a french popular author that i do appreciate a lot.
And, as i know a guy which do bibliographies (i've supported him within the last weekson a french King bibliography that should be published soon), i did decide few months ago to work on a sort of bibliography (even more that that!) about the french author.

My 'book' is finished, and i plann to send it to the author before the end of the week, and I hope that he will appreciate it (maybe he'll write something for it? lol) and i'll try to publish it :-)

Mr. Rabbit Trick
07-23-2008, 10:40 AM
Congrats Herb. Hope it gets published.

Dolan
07-23-2008, 11:07 AM
I have started collecting Cormac McCarthy.

I have a first of The Road and the proof. But his books aren't very easy to get. Not only are there fewer copies, but no one really knows him as well as one would know Stephen King. In addition. no one wants to sell - mainly because they might not know how valuable his stuff is.

A first edition of Blood Meridian is worth a nice penny. I collect McCarthy and I am still finding out that he did limited editions that I wasn't aware of before!

If anyone has info on McCarthy's limited editions - let's chat. I am curious...

Matt
07-23-2008, 11:11 AM
Hey Dolan, great to see you. :rock:

Dolan
07-23-2008, 11:25 AM
Thats Matt - looks like you have gotten younger ;-)

Matt
07-23-2008, 11:42 AM
:rofl:

That's my grand daughter, I think she does make me younger weirdly enough.

Patrick
07-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Thanks for that link, Geoff. I love Vonnegut but have no collectible-level books of his.

Dolan, good choice with McCarthy - what a great author!

idlewarnings
07-24-2008, 05:40 AM
I've been really getting into McCarthy lately, too. I'm reading Suttree right now. I think his style is fantastic...pages and pages of meaty description, minimal dialogue, bleak and hilarious at the same. There's probably one or two words on every page I've never seen before. His command of vocabulary is astounding. I think I'm going to start the Border triology next.

Dolan
07-24-2008, 11:49 AM
The way McCarthy describes things is truly vivid. His word choice is impeccable. I mean, The Road which I would describe as fairly basic in style was everything but basic. It was entirely descriptive while remaining incredibly small on word count. For those who have read it - you know what I am talking about.

For those who haven't - you don't know what you are missing!

But McCarthy as a collectible author is very hard. Very hard. Because there is no "CormacMcCarthyfans.com." He is such a reclusive author - even now. And it makes it harder because I have ZERO confidence in his signature - so other than SL editions, I have no idea what is real and what isn't.

Ah well - this is all about the hunt now isn't it?

The Lady of Shadows
07-24-2008, 07:27 PM
i collect:

simon r. green -- nightside series
jasper fforde -- thursday next series (my first four novels are signed!!)
f. paul wilson -- repairman jack series (i would kill for something signed by f. paul wilson!)
douglas preston & lincoln child -- agent pendergast series (started out with the relic and i don't think pendergast was supposed to become a main character but wow is he brilliant)

i used to love the anita blake series by laurell k. hamilton but she just got too into the weird sex thing. i don't mind a good erotic novel now and then, but i like my horror novels and my erotic novels separate. you know?

gsvec
07-24-2008, 07:41 PM
f. paul wilson -- repairman jack series (i would kill for something signed by f. paul wilson!)

How about a new signed limited of "Legacies", turtle? http://www.gauntletpress.com/cgi-bin/gauntletpress/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=template&thispage=LegaciesBk&ORDER_ID=237537999

EDIT: Gauntlet has others, too, by the way :D

The Lady of Shadows
07-24-2008, 08:48 PM
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh. :drool:

LadyHitchhiker
08-16-2008, 03:29 AM
I am collecting Linnea Sinclair's books.. she writes sci-fi/romance.

herbertwest
08-20-2008, 05:48 AM
The omega man (I am legend, tie-in), by Richard Matheson (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370078561292&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fse arch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D 370078561292%2509%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1)
supposed to be sign, but no pix of the sign

Cutter
08-21-2008, 06:03 AM
The omega man (I am legend, tie-in), by Richard Matheson (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370078561292&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fse arch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D 370078561292%2509%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1)
supposed to be sign, but no pix of the sign

Matheson is a phenomenal author! I Am Legend is one of my all time favorite books.

If anyone hasn't read it, do. Trust me you'll love it.

EDIT: btw, as you would expect with Hollywood, the book and the Will Smith movie have almost nothing in common.

Ricky
08-21-2008, 06:30 AM
The authors that I collect besides King...hmm...nope, just King. :)

I do have other misc. books scattered throughout my room though. Dan Brown, Christopher Priest, etc.

Dante Deschain
08-24-2008, 06:23 AM
Anne Rice:The Vampire Chronicles
Jim Butcher:The Dresden Files
and anything by Chris Wooding

carlosdetweiller
09-09-2008, 04:55 AM
A couple of new additions to the collection:

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/lonesomedoveproof.jpg

I think LONESOME DOVE is my favorite book of all time. I liked the book much better than the TV mini-series and have read it five times. Proofs are not all that uncommon but can be pricey. The trick is to find one in nice condition at a decent price which I was finally able to do.

Early McCammon proofs are difficult to find. This is the first proof of MYSTERY WALK I have seen.

A couple of years ago there was a proof copy of BAAL on eBay. I only half heartedly bid on it and, of course, didn't win. I have been kicking myself ever since for not bidding more aggressively. I doubt I will ever see another. Still, I am pretty happy with this copy of MYSTERY WALK.

Cutter
09-09-2008, 06:23 AM
Nice acquisitions Bob!

I must read Lonesome Dove, then. I own all the Lonesome Dove movies, and just love them. But I've never read one of the books. Obviously this is something I need to do.

Cutter
09-09-2008, 06:36 AM
I'll add a couple of new books by Robert E. Howard, I was geeked about getting over the weekend. The are the two Conan of Cimmeria books, volume one and two. Wandering Star, a UK publisher, started a complete Robert E. Howard collection called the Library of Classics series. They did 5 books, plus some supplementary material (art books, sketch books, and one facsimile), and then they went defunct. Subterranean picked up the series with KULL, and is to continue the line of books.

These are really great books. As you can see they are very colorful, and inside there are about 6 full color plates, and probably about 100 small b&w small illustrations contained within the text throughout the book. They are fully illustrated. Also besides the stories you get fragments, synopsis, and other stuff Howard wrote down but never finished or was published. And at the back there is an extensive appendix on everything about the book.

I haven't received my Sub Press book yet, but these books by Wandering Press are very, very, nice productions.

The first volume:
http://www.gusfromcbus.com/authorpages/otherauthors/robertehoward/images/conanofcimmeriavol1_img3.gif

The second volume:
http://www.gusfromcbus.com/authorpages/otherauthors/robertehoward/images/conanofcimmeriavol2_img3.gif

btw, there are more expensive Leather Editions, but these were what I could afford. Heck they were expensive enough. lol

Clacke
09-09-2008, 10:17 AM
I'll add a couple of new books by Robert E. Howard, I was geeked about getting over the weekend. The are the two Conan of Cimmeria books, volume one and two. Wandering Star, a UK publisher, started a complete Robert E. Howard collection called the Library of Classics series. They did 5 books, plus some supplementary material (art books, sketch books, and one facsimile), and then they went defunct. Subterranean picked up the series with KULL, and is to continue the line of books.

These are really great books. As you can see they are very colorful, and inside there are about 6 full color plates, and probably about 100 small b&w small illustrations contained within the text throughout the book. They are fully illustrated. Also besides the stories you get fragments, synopsis, and other stuff Howard wrote down but never finished or was published. And at the back there is an extensive appendix on everything about the book.

I haven't received my Sub Press book yet, but these books by Wandering Press are very, very, nice productions.

btw, there are more expensive Leather Editions, but these were what I could afford. Heck they were expensive enough. lol

I have these also and they really are beautifully produced books. And by all accounts the Sub Press book continues the high standards of the series. (I'm also waiting on my copy of Kull). :drool:

Fsmdr
09-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Those books looks really beautiful, Guthrie. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Cutter
09-10-2008, 06:09 AM
Those books looks really beautiful, Guthrie. Thanks for posting the pictures.
Yea they really did a good job of crafting books, too bad they folded.

@Clacke, hopefully that is the case. I would hate to see the series change to average production values.

mae
09-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Anyone collects Haruki Murakami? His earlier hardcovers command such high prices for pretty beat up conditions without dust jackets, to say nothing of like new copies. Very weird. Small print run, or something?

jhanic
09-10-2008, 01:16 PM
I've never heard of him. What kind of stories does he write?

John

Randall Flagg
09-10-2008, 03:34 PM
A couple of new additions to the collection:

Early McCammon proofs are difficult to find. This is the first proof of MYSTERY WALK I have seen.

A couple of years ago there was a proof copy of BAAL on eBay. I only half heartedly bid on it and, of course, didn't win. I have been kicking myself ever since for not bidding more aggressively. I doubt I will ever see another. Still, I am pretty happy with this copy of MYSTERY WALK.
Bob, congrats on the Mystery Walk proof. I really like McCammon's work, too bad he took such a long hiatus from writing-then did a couple of books that did not work for me.

idlewarnings
09-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Anyone collects Haruki Murakami? His earlier hardcovers command such high prices for pretty beat up conditions without dust jackets, to say nothing of like new copies. Very weird. Small print run, or something?

I don't collect Murakami but I've read almost all of his books. He's an amazing writer. His novels are a fascinating mix of Japanese history, folklore, surrealism, and modern day middle class ennui.

Pick up The Windup Bird Chronicle. You won't be sorry.

Patrick
09-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Congrats on those proofs, Bob. LONESOME DOVE is a great book.

They did a nice job on those Conan books, Geoff.

I don't collect Murakami but I've read almost all of his books. He's an amazing writer. His novels are a fascinating mix of Japanese history, folklore, surrealism, and modern day middle class ennui.

Pick up The Windup Bird Chronicle. You won't be sorry.

I ought to read his novels too, since I hear they're great. I just read his short non-fiction book, WHAT I TALK ABOUT WHEN I TALK ABOUT RUNNING. I was underwhelmed.

idlewarnings
09-11-2008, 04:57 AM
I just read his short non-fiction book, WHAT I TALK ABOUT WHEN I TALK ABOUT RUNNING. I was underwhelmed.

Yeah, having zero interest in running has kept me from rushing out to pick up that one. Now if he'd written a book called WHAT I TALK ABOUT WHEN I TALK ABOUT CYCLING that would be a different story :)

mae
09-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Murakami is a very unique voice. I highly recommend his earlier novel The Wild Sheep Chase, which I just procured in a first edition for only $30 (they routinely go for at least twice that). Some of his other hardcovers command astronomical prices, such as the short story collection The Elephant Vanishes which can be had for $200-300. I'm not sure why this is so. Even his recent hardcovers that just went out of print not too long ago, like Sputnik Sweetheart, can also cost upwards of $50 or more.

mae
09-11-2008, 08:26 AM

John

I would say "a fascinating mix of Japanese history, folklore, surrealism, and modern day middle class ennui" pretty must nails it. You can read up on the man here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haruki_Murakami - and also follow the links to the individual books. He just released a short story collection recently, which is still sold in hardcover on Amazon, Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman - perhaps a good place to start.

Fsmdr
09-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Has anyone read Bryce Courtenay?.

His most famous work is The Power Of One. The movie sucks, of course. But the book is another matter. If you have read the book, you might be surprised to hear that there is a sequal to that book. Strangely, his only US published book is The Power Of One.

He has maybe about 20 more novels published mostly in UK, Canada and Australia where he resides now. He was banned from his home country; South Africa for teaching the Africans to read. Most of the hardcover I bought I had to buy from Australia. I only own 2 signed book by him. This guy is amazing!. One of the best writer alive, IMO, next to King.

Patrick
09-11-2008, 09:16 PM
I just read his short non-fiction book, WHAT I TALK ABOUT WHEN I TALK ABOUT RUNNING. I was underwhelmed.

Yeah, having zero interest in running has kept me from rushing out to pick up that one. Now if he'd written a book called WHAT I TALK ABOUT WHEN I TALK ABOUT CYCLING that would be a different story :)
See, I like running, so my logic was the same as yours would be if it were about cycling. Believe me, you probably would have been disappointed too.

Ves'Ka Gan
09-13-2008, 11:40 AM
Hope this is the right place to post this....

Does anyone know about Academy Classics books? I bought this 1922 copy of Tale of Two Cities by Dickens and I have been having a little trouble finding anything out about it....
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee102/AjaxthePixie/100_1755.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee102/AjaxthePixie/100_1756.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee102/AjaxthePixie/100_1758.jpg

Patrick
09-13-2008, 08:05 PM
I don't know, but hopefully someone here might know about them.

I moved this thread into the main forum (from the tutorials). :)

Ves'Ka Gan
09-14-2008, 09:22 AM
Thanks!

jhanic
09-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Tale of Two Cities Academy Classics Addall search (http://used.addall.com/SuperRare/submitRare.cgi?author=&title=Tale+of+Two+cities&keyword=academy+classics&isbn=&order=PRICE&ordering=DESC&dispCurr=USD&binding=Any+Binding&min=&max=&timeout=20&match=Y&store=Abebooks&store=AbebooksDE&store=AbebooksFR&store=AbebooksUK&store=Alibris&store=Amazon&store=AmazonUK&store=AmazonDE&store=AmazonFR&store=Antiqbook&store=Biblio&store=Biblion&store=Bibliophile&store=Bibliopoly&store=Booksandcollectibles&store=Half&store=ILAB&store=LivreRareBook&store=Powells&store=Strandbooks&store=ZVAB)

John

Ves'Ka Gan
09-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Thanks, John! I need to really start getting to know ABE a little better. I just ran a google search and didn't find anything of worth!

I picked it up the same time I picked up that Steinbeck, also for fifty cents, just because it was from 1922 and it caught my fancy (doesn't take a whole lot to catch my fancy when its only fifty cents!). Looks like I did okay!

herbertwest
10-03-2008, 02:48 PM
so i went to a french author's signing event.
Bernard Werber is famous worldwide (especially in Korea & Russia where he is a superstar) while he's (almost) unknown in the USA/UK.

Unfortunately, in the US/UK there is only his first book which is available : Empire of the Ants. One book out of roughly 20.

So i do collect his work (mainly signed items, every single appearance of his stories.. and chased all the articles he published... and there are few hundreds).
The good thing is that i work on a book about him : we shared some emails. He did say that my work is "superb" and today we talked a wee bit at the signing, and he told me that it's really interesting and that should try to show it to his publisher and should be able to do something with it... how good does it sounds? :huglove: (oh and i have his personal details to make an interview :-) )

Patrick
10-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Glad you enjoyed the signing, herbertwest, and that he took some time to chat with you. Nice pics in the Picture Emporium. :thumbsup:

Randall Flagg
10-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Signings are almost always a blast. Congratulations.

Patrick
10-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Signings are almost always a blast. Congratulations.
The only way to guarantee it will be is to have a few beers first. Right, Jerome? :D

herbertwest
10-10-2008, 12:27 AM
Earlier that week (like last week) i did meet a second time the french author i am working on, and i got a second signed copy for a friend of mine.
Doodles are : a butterfly and a fish :-)

http://herbertwest1.free.fr/BW/Paradis%20sur%20mesure-centaure.jpg

Patrick
10-11-2008, 11:31 AM
That's cool, Jeremy.

carlosdetweiller
10-24-2008, 04:22 PM
I don't think there are too many McCammon fans on this board but here is something I had not seen before. In 1991 Dark Harvest published THEY THIRST in a limited edition. They did a few proofs and here is one. It is a massive book (412 pages printed on one side of the page only) with a black comb binding.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/theythirstproof.jpg

Scoogs
10-24-2008, 04:30 PM
I saw a news blurb a couple of weeks back saying that Bram Stoker's grandson, or maybe it was great grandson, has authorized the publication of a Dracula sequel.

Reminds me of Scarlet.
I'll probably read it, but authorized or not, I don't think I could ever treat something like this as "official."

carlosdetweiller
10-24-2008, 04:30 PM
In 1902 Doubleday, Page & Co. published the third American edition of DRACULA. (1st American in 1899 by Doubleday & McClure Co.; 2nd American in 1901 by A. Wessels Co.)

I've had a copy in the red binding variant for quite awhile. I had heard of a green binding variant but had never been able to secure one. I got this one in today. This edition is one of my favorites. I really like the illustration inserted on the front covers.

I'm not at all sure if the red binding precedes the green, vice-versa, or if they were simultaneous.

Not bad condition for 106 year old books!

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/draculadoubledaypage1902.jpg

carlosdetweiller
10-24-2008, 04:34 PM
I saw a news blurb a couple of weeks back saying that Bram Stoker's grandson, or maybe it was great grandson, has authorized the publication of a Dracula sequel.

Reminds me of Scarlet.
I'll probably read it, but authorized or not, I don't think I could ever treat something like this as "official."

Reminds me of an author named Mark Winegardner who wrote one or more sequels to THE GODFATHER supposedly with the blessings of the Puzo family. It just ain't gonna be the same!

jhanic
10-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Bob, that McCammon proof is something! I've never seen any other of the Dark Harvest proofs except for the Night Visions 5 that has the three King stories in it. I guess I never thought about other Dark Harvest proofs.

Those two states of Dracula are in beautiful shape for a book 106 years old! They look as if they had been purchased and put away without reading them. (I also like the illustration.) Do you know if they were issued with a dust jacket?

John

William50
10-24-2008, 05:07 PM
Those 2 editions of Dracula look amazing!:excited:

carlosdetweiller
10-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Bob, that McCammon proof is something! I've never seen any other of the Dark Harvest proofs except for the Night Visions 5 that has the three King stories in it. I guess I never thought about other Dark Harvest proofs.

Those two states of Dracula are in beautiful shape for a book 106 years old! They look as if they had been purchased and put away without reading them. (I also like the illustration.) Do you know if they were issued with a dust jacket?

John

If you do an ABE search with "Dark Harvest" in the publisher field and "proof" in the keyword field you will get over 40 items matched but there are currently none that interest me. Of the Dark Harvest proofs I've got Dan Simmons' CARRION COMFORT, the NIGHT VISIONS 5, and the four F. Paul Wilson books (REPRISAL, REBORN, NIGHTWORLD & SIBS). I would really like to find the proof of McCammon's SWAN SONG, but, so far, no luck.

Regarding dust jackets on late 18th century and early 19th centure books: I think that most had them but I don't know for sure. The Dracula books have no publisher's price on them that I can find so there must have been some outer covering with the price. Dust jackets really were meant to be thrown away and that was the common practice back then. It is really rare to find pre-1930's with jackets. It is difficult to find jackets on 1940's and 1950's books. Relatively easy on 1960's books to the present.

When Jerad Walters was in Amarillo he told me the origin of the "half title page." Prior to books commonly being "hardbound" they were sold in paper wrappers. The "half title page" was added over and to protect the "title page" from rain and other soiling that occurred with outdoor vendors.

jhanic
10-24-2008, 05:44 PM
Interesting! I know that when I started collecting SF back in the '60s, I threw the dust jackets away also. I thought that made them look better on the shelf! Oh, jeez, what I would give now to be able to go back then and kick myself!

John

carlosdetweiller
10-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Interesting! I know that when I started collecting SF back in the '60s, I threw the dust jackets away also. I thought that made them look better on the shelf! Oh, jeez, what I would give now to be able to go back then and kick myself!

John

Most everyone else did that too.

I remember when my parents were remodeling/redecorating the living room in the house I grew up in. This was in the early 60's. I remember a "decorator" came in and took all the dust jackets off of all the books in the living room and threw them away!!! Of course, these were mostly just things like Reader's Digest Condensed Books and Book-of-the-Month Club books, but just the thought of that sends chills down my spine today.

My mother also instructed me to clip the price from the inner flap of the dj if I was giving a book as a gift (shudder!) and to be sure and write a gift inscription to the recipient. Thanks, Mom!

gsvec
10-24-2008, 06:04 PM
My mother also instructed me to clip the price from the inner flap of the dj if I was giving a book as a gift (shudder!) and to be sure and write a gift inscription to the recipient. Thanks, Mom!

Mine did the same thing and of course I did it. Hope I didn't end up irritating collectors like some people have irritated us!

carlosdetweiller
11-04-2008, 05:14 PM
I've got pretty decent collections of books by Dan Simmons and Robert McCammon. I have recently been filling some holes by getting proof states of several of their books. This one came in today and I thought it was pretty interesting. It is a tall advance galley of the Pocket Book (paperback) edition of McCammon's BLUE WORLD. The size is what I found interesting. Fourteen inches tall with a black tape spine. The photo shows the proof next to another edition of the book (UK hardcover edition).

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/blueworldproof1.jpg

When I opened it I was immediately reminded of a similar book in my collection also by Pocket Books. The advance galley of the anthology SHOCK ROCK which was the first appearance of King's story "You Know They Got a Hell of a Band." Approximately the same size by the same publisher.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/blueworldproof2.jpg

Randall Flagg
11-04-2008, 05:35 PM
I think we just have to start using NCTA (Never cease to amaze) for you Bob.
I dig Simmons and McCammon too, but certainly have nothing so interesting as those.

jhanic
11-05-2008, 06:21 AM
Bob, what RF said! Amazing!

John

Ari_Racing
11-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Next week I'll be receiving directly from the publisher an ARC of Drood, the new book by Dan Simmons.

About other authors, the sad news is that last tuesday Michael Crichton died at 66 due to cancer. :( I enjoyed the books I read from him

carlosdetweiller
11-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Next week I'll be receiving directly from the publisher an ARC of Drood, the new book by Dan Simmons.

About other authors, the sad news is that last tuesday Michael Crichton died at 66 due to cancer. :( I enjoyed the books I read from him

Crichton was one of my favorite authors. I will certainly miss his writing. The first book I read by him was THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN. As chance would have it I had just finished taking Microbiology in medical school. I knew a LOT about bacteria at that time. THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN was all about bacteria and the author got EVERYTHING right. I soon found out that the author was also a physician and that explained that. Crichton always had his medical facts straight and sometimes, when I thought he had gotten something wrong, I would do some research and find that he was right after all. Brilliant man. (King, on the other hand, has many medical errors in his books. He really needs a physician consultant, if he doesn't already have one. Maybe I'll volunteer!)

Fsmdr
11-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Crichton was very talented in surprisingly many areas. He not only directed ER, created computer games, was a movie director and wrote computer books besides the numerous fictions that he produced. He will definitely be missed.

carlosdetweiller
11-06-2008, 04:45 PM
This is a first novel by David Wroblewski titled THE STORY OF EDGAR SAWTELLE. It is a novel that is currently generating huge interest. Oprah selected it for her book club and Stephen King has given it glowing praise. It is currently one of the hottest books on ABE.

Here is a copy of the Canadian proof (published simultaneously with the US edition by Ecco) by Bond Street Books.

This book has moved directly to the top of my must read list (bypassing about 15 others).

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/storyedgarsawtelleproof1.jpg

Now the reason I am posting about this book is what I found on the rear cover. A lengthy blurb by King. I don't recall seeing lengthy blurbs on proofs before. I mean what version did King read? The manuscript?

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/storyedgarsawtelleproof2.jpg

Apparently the US proof (currently on its way to me) also has the King blurb. I think it will be interesting to see how King bibliographers Rocky Wood and Justin Brooks catagorize this little piece of King writing. Nonfiction, perhaps? It is really too long to call it just a blurb.

I'm really looking forward to reading this.

Randall Flagg
11-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Incredible. I think I must read this. SK compared, then distanced the story from Life of Pi, which I thoroughly enjoyed.
Thanks Bob!

Interesting Review (http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/booksmags/chi-the-story-of-edgar-14jun14,0,2081358.story)

herbertwest
11-07-2008, 03:17 AM
the King's comment is only on the proofs?

carlosdetweiller
11-07-2008, 04:34 AM

I don't know. I don't have a copy of the hardback yet.

One thing to keep in mind if anyone is planning to rush out and buy a copy is that the books on the shelves right now are probably not going to be first editions. It has gone into subsequent printings.

To further complicate matters, the books with the "Oprah Book Club" sticker on the front are NOT first editions, even though they have a complete number line on the copyright page. I think the "true" first edition has a different ISBN number and a flimsier dust jacket.

FIRSTS magazine goes into detail on this in the current issue and many of the listings on ABE give the details if they are offering the "true" first edition.

mae
11-07-2008, 06:19 AM

It's on the back of the hardcover as well:

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/27940000/27949234.jpg

jhanic
11-07-2008, 06:23 AM
Some of King's verbiage seems to be missing on the hardcover.

John

Randall Flagg
11-07-2008, 06:55 AM
I'm not too worried about getting a first edition since I plan on reading the book. If it appeals to me, I'll seek out a First Edition.

herbertwest
11-07-2008, 07:37 AM
Some of King's verbiage seems to be missing on the hardcover.

John

Yep, is shorter

mae
11-07-2008, 09:33 AM
The hardcover blurb is missing all the comparisons to other novels.

carlosdetweiller
11-22-2008, 07:27 PM
First edition of STRANGE CASE OF DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE, published 1886 by Charles Scribner's Sons, New York. It's not the most pristine of copies but other than the light spotting on the front board it is really a very nice copy. Supposedly this US edition beat the UK edition by four days.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/jekyllhydeUS.jpg

Airtraffic
11-23-2008, 12:44 AM
Now that is very cool. How do the pages look. Are they also in good condition?

jhanic
11-23-2008, 04:56 AM
Very, very nice Bob!

John

Brice
11-23-2008, 04:59 AM
Wow, that's an awesome book.

carlosdetweiller
11-23-2008, 05:11 AM
Now that is very cool. How do the pages look. Are they also in good condition?

The pages are great and the gold gilt on the top page edges is still pretty much intact. Also, there is no previous owner writing in the book which is pretty uncommon for books of that era.

I think I am going to keep it. I "only" paid $650 for it. I see similar copies on ABE for $2K up to $8K and one was recently auctioned at Heritage for $3K+.

Airtraffic
11-23-2008, 06:29 AM
Yeah, That would be a book I'd like to hold on to. I once bought the 11th issue of the x-men (not in very good shape) for $20 just because it was such a early issue. Now this is much older book that my comic, but none the less this a great part of history. :clap:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-23-2008, 09:15 AM
First edition of STRANGE CASE OF DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE, published 1886 by Charles Scribner's Sons, New York. It's not the most pristine of copies but other than the light spotting on the front board it is really a very nice copy. Supposedly this US edition beat the UK edition by four days.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/jekyllhydeUS.jpg

That's a fantastic edition Bob.

(I thought the UK paperback was the first edition).

Scoogs
11-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Very cool Bob

Scoogs
11-24-2008, 05:03 PM
Bob, do you have any Sherlock Holmes books in your collection?

I'm just starting to read a 3 volume complete set that I picked up a couple of years ago and the rather lengthy introduction gave a fair amount of history on the early publishings. Pretty interesting reading the history behind those.

carlosdetweiller
11-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Bob, do you have any Sherlock Holmes books in your collection?

If you mean first editions then, no, I don't have any. I've got every Holmes story and novel in paperbacks that I have had since I was in my teens. They are read to tatters but are still very readable.

bast_imret
11-25-2008, 06:35 AM
Bob, if you are interested in grabbing a US ARC of the Sawtell book as well, there's one up on ABE, item #1220226292. I messaged the guy last night, since the description was a bit lacking, to doublecheck and make sure it wasn't a copy of the Ecco US Proof instead. He said it was the ARC, with the King blurb on the back, and the cover art that is present on the trade.

carlosdetweiller
11-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Bob, if you are interested in grabbing a US ARC of the Sawtell book as well, there's one up on ABE, item #1220226292. I messaged the guy last night, since the description was a bit lacking, to doublecheck and make sure it wasn't a copy of the Ecco US Proof instead. He said it was the ARC, with the King blurb on the back, and the cover art that is present on the trade.

Got it. Thanks!