PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Horror-thon 2019

Ricky
09-29-2019, 06:02 PM
With the start of October (and the season for prime horror movie-watching) only two days away, it's time to get the ball rolling on this year's Halloween Horror-thon!

Here's our thread from last year: Halloween Horror-thon 2018 (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?21680-Halloween-Horror-thon-2018). As always, it's more fun when more people chime in with what they're watching (or planning on watching) throughout the month.

My list seems to get longer and longer every year, but here are the ones that are at the top for this year: Cult of Chucky, Goosebumps 2, The House with a Clock in its Walls, Pet Sematary (2019), Happy Death Day 2 U, The Curse of la Llorona, 3 From Hell, Eli (Netflix), and Annabelle Comes Home. And I definitely want to re-watch Halloween (1978 and last year's). On the TV side, I'm watching the new season of American Horror Story and almost through Marianne on Netflix. Then I think I'm going to start Season 1 of The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina since I never got around to it last year.

What's everyone planning on watching or re-watching this year? New releases? Favorite classics? And, most importantly, what's your favorite go-to Halloween-movie-watching snack or treat?

:ghost_002:

ur2ndbiggestfan
09-29-2019, 06:37 PM
I'm getting THE CURSE OF LA LLORONA from Netflix on DVD in a day or two in the mail.

kingfan2323
09-29-2019, 08:30 PM
If Midsommar counts that is #1 on my list!

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
Dead Zone 1st Edition F/F or NF/NF

Heather19
09-30-2019, 04:44 AM
I've been waiting for you to start this thread Ricky!

I've watched a small handful of horror films this past month. I saw the new It, I also rewatched House of 1000 Corpses and Devil's Rejects, then went to see Three From Hell. Which I really enjoyed.

I have a few staples that I seem to watch every year. Halloween, The Shining, Kenny & Company, and Trick r' Treat. Next up I plan to rewatch The Dark Half since I just finished the book. I also need to start the new season of AHS and maybe I'll finally get around to watching The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina as well. It'll be a good time to start it. And if I get around to getting Shudder I'll watch the new Creepshow as well :D

Ricky
09-30-2019, 06:32 AM
I was waiting for your 3 From Hell thoughts, Heather. I thought that after the limited 3 day release it would release wide, so I was surprised when I read a few days ago that that was it and it'll be on DVD next month. So you enjoyed it? How would you rank it with the other two? And I'm a bit iffy about this season of AHS. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.

Heather19
09-30-2019, 07:29 AM
Yes, it was just a 3 night event. Each night included something different. We went to night 2 which included a behind the scenes documentary. Only problem was part way into the documentary the screen just went black, so not sure how much we missed. Hopefully it'll be included on the dvd. I enjoyed it, yet I did really miss Sid Haig being a part of it. Two weeks prior to the start of filming Rob got a call from him and realized that he wouldn't be up for filming. He was able to get him to come out for one day and do a few shots with him which was good that he was able to include him in the film, yet the three from hell which was supposed to be him, Baby and Otis had to be rewritten to include a new character. It worked but yet I imagine the original 3 would have been much better. If I had to rank them I'd probably go with House, then Devil's, then this one. But if you enjoyed the other 2, I think you'll like this one as well.

Mattrick
09-30-2019, 12:00 PM
I'm going to try and watch a couple, but I won't be doing anything extensive for October this year. I'll be busy too many nights and on my spare nights I've get wrasslin, Walking Dead, South Park, and some baseball playoffs to watch.

Ricky
09-30-2019, 02:23 PM
Yes, it was just a 3 night event. Each night included something different. We went to night 2 which included a behind the scenes documentary. Only problem was part way into the documentary the screen just went black, so not sure how much we missed. Hopefully it'll be included on the dvd. I enjoyed it, yet I did really miss Sid Haig being a part of it. Two weeks prior to the start of filming Rob got a call from him and realized that he wouldn't be up for filming. He was able to get him to come out for one day and do a few shots with him which was good that he was able to include him in the film, yet the three from hell which was supposed to be him, Baby and Otis had to be rewritten to include a new character. It worked but yet I imagine the original 3 would have been much better. If I had to rank them I'd probably go with House, then Devil's, then this one. But if you enjoyed the other 2, I think you'll like this one as well.

Yeah, I heard about Sid not being well enough to be in it as much as planned. I enjoyed Devil's Rejects much more than House of 1000 Corpses, so I'm hoping the style and tone (and character focus) is more in line with DR.

Sai Sheb
10-01-2019, 12:27 AM
My eldest daughter has turned 16..
It to introduce her to my world of horror...
Yey!

mae
10-01-2019, 03:11 AM
I think this month would be perfect to binge Into the Dark on Hulu.

Heather19
10-01-2019, 03:39 AM
I think this month would be perfect to binge Into the Dark on Hulu.

That's been in my list forever, I'll really have to try to start it soon. Which do you prefer Mae, Sabrina or Into the Dark?

mae
10-01-2019, 04:23 AM
I actually just started the second season of Sabrina, I know I'm late, but there's been so much to watch and also real life to do. Pretty different stuff, though. Personally I prefer Sabrina if I had to choose, because Kiernan Shipka is perfect as Sabrina, Archie Comics are iconic, and I love the tone of the series. Into the Dark is more serious and they're basically Twilight Zoney Blumhouse horror movies. Which is a good thing.

Heather19
10-01-2019, 05:10 AM
Both sound really good, and I've been meaning to watch both forever now. Maybe I'll put my other shows on hold for the month and start on these.

Also does anyone watch Halloween Wars? That's another favorite of mine that I have to watch every year.

Ricky
10-01-2019, 02:50 PM
Yes to Halloween Wars! I watch it every year, too. I haven't seen the premiere yet, though. And supposedly there's a ton of new ghost/horror programming coming up on Travel Channel this month, but I haven't seen anything yet. Anyone watch those kind of shows?

Heather19
10-01-2019, 04:14 PM
I used to watch them all but then it became too overwhelming because there's so many now. But I did set my dvr for quite a few of them that sounded interesting. There's going to be a live investigation out in Salem that they're airing fri night. And I'm curious to check out the Holzer files. I've been a listener of Darkness Radio for a long time and the host is going to be one of the investigators so I want to check that one out too.

Ricky
10-01-2019, 04:22 PM
Yeah, I can understand that. There ARE a lot of them. I used to really like Ghost Adventures a lot, but then Zak was either getting "possessed" or overreacting every other episode and it started to feel a little inauthentic.

And I'm glad you reminded me about Haunted Salem. I just set my DVR as well. :)

mattgreenbean
10-01-2019, 07:14 PM
Oct 1 - The Pit & The Pendulum 1991 (Bernie Wrightson is thanked in the credits)

St. Troy
10-02-2019, 09:48 AM
I used to really like Ghost Adventures a lot, but then Zak was either getting "possessed" or overreacting every other episode and it started to feel a little inauthentic.

Zak knows what I like, but he is a bit tough to take seriously.

mattgreenbean
10-02-2019, 07:33 PM
Oct 1 - The Pit & The Pendulum 1991 (Bernie Wrightson is thanked in the credits)

Oct 2 Ghost Stories 2018

Heather19
10-03-2019, 04:02 AM
I was never able to get into Ghost Adventures. I did love Ghost Hunters back in the day though. And A Haunting was another favorite of mine.

Oh and do you guys remember Scariest Places on Earth, I think that's what it was called. Narrated by Linda Blair. I was gonna see if I could find those on youtube or somewhere to rewatch this season.

St. Troy
10-03-2019, 08:11 AM
I did love Ghost Hunters back in the day though.

Have you seen the new incarnation of this show? Jason is gone; it's Grant with a new group of people. I've seen a few episodes and they were pretty good. I like this show's emphasis (present in the new incarnation) on beginning by debunking where they can rather than going into total respiratory distress with every creak as the people on so many similar shows do.

FYI, Jason has a new show (Ghost Nation) on Travel Channel premiering Friday Oct 11.

And A Haunting was another favorite of mine.

Hell yeah! I know some of the best episodes by name: Legend Trippers (kind of like 3 stories in one), Ghost Hunter, Spellbound, Summerwind, The Wheatsheaf Horror... The best episodes were from the original 4-season run (2005 - 2007), but the post-2012 revival seasons have definitely been worth watching. I just wish they didn't strive for realistic creatures; they fail miserably, resulting only in unintentional hilarity. The show is fine using Anthony Call (the perfect narrator), spare piano soundtrack, and those shots of late-afternoon sun. (Sounds like I might have been paying too much attention to this show, now that I think about it).

St. Troy
10-03-2019, 08:13 AM
My October horror movie viewing is off to an auspicious start: first The Blair Witch Project, then Halloweentown (yes - I own all 4 movies - deal with it).

Heather19
10-03-2019, 10:50 AM
I haven't seen the new Ghost Hunters yet, but maybe I'll check it out. That was one thing that I liked about them versus other shows, was that they wouldn't jump to conclusions and say it's paranormal but show what could be causing some of things. And I wonder if the new one with Jason, Steve, and Tango will be similar to Ghost Hunters or if they'll do something different.

And I've only seen the original run of A Haunting, Summerwind creeped me out! And I loved the 2 movies that started it off. Did you know that the people in A Haunting in Georgia were the original family. That's a very interesting story. They also had a little segment on Unsolved Mysteries which I would recommend seeking out.

Ricky
10-03-2019, 02:05 PM
Oh and do you guys remember Scariest Places on Earth, I think that's what it was called. Narrated by Linda Blair. I was gonna see if I could find those on youtube or somewhere to rewatch this season.

It sounds familiar but I can't remember if I've seen it. I have seen The Most Terrifying Places on Earth, though. Titles are similar. :lol:

What about Paranormal Caught on Camera? That's one I really like.

Heather19
10-03-2019, 02:47 PM
I have an episode of Most Terrifying Places on Earth on my dvr at the moment :lol: I haven't watched it yet, but I bet it's really similar. And I think I've seen random bits of Paranormal Caught on Camera when I've come across it on tv.

I found some of the episodes on youtube, here's the first one :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kjar8ni0o8

mattgreenbean
10-04-2019, 04:13 AM

Oct 2 Ghost Stories 2018

Oct 3 Pandorum 2009 (Space Horror)

Ricky
10-04-2019, 12:50 PM
I have an episode of Most Terrifying Places on Earth on my dvr at the moment :lol: I haven't watched it yet, but I bet it's really similar. And I think I've seen random bits of Paranormal Caught on Camera when I've come across it on tv.

Thanks! I'll have to give it a watch. I saw Kindred Spirits for the first time the other day. Do you watch that one?

mattgreenbean
10-04-2019, 07:29 PM

Oct 2 Ghost Stories 2018

Oct 4 Paranormal Activity 2009 (we watched PA 3, 2, 1 for the chronological order)

Heather19
10-05-2019, 04:29 AM

Thanks! I'll have to give it a watch. I saw Kindred Spirits for the first time the other day. Do you watch that one?

Nope haven't seen that one yet. Is it worth a watch?

Ricky
10-05-2019, 06:25 AM
Oct 4 Paranormal Activity 2009 (we watched PA 3, 2, 1 for the chronological order)

I only saw the first one way back when. Are they all kind of the same?

Nope haven't seen that one yet. Is it worth a watch?

I enjoyed it. I thought it was pretty suspenseful and the investigators didn't overreact or anything. It did seem like they took a lot of "guesses" with the paranormal causes and it seemed like they got rid of the entity pretty easily, but it was a fun watch. I'd probably watch it again. The two investigators (Amy and Adam) were part of the Haunted Salem Live thing last night. I just caught a few minutes of it so I'll have to go back and watch it without commercials. That thing was four hours long! :lol:

I also watched the first episode of the Holzer Files last night since you mentioned it earlier. Have you seen it yet? I was kind of bored.

mattgreenbean
10-05-2019, 03:21 PM

I only saw the first one way back when. Are they all kind of the same?

Similar style but it is one long continuous story. The first one only uses one camera and that changes with all of them. I've already watched the whole series a couple of times. I'm a fan of found footage films. Part 2 are the events that immediately preceed the events of the first one. Part 3 goes back the the characters childhood paranormal activity. And 4, 5, and 6 go right after one another.

mattgreenbean
10-05-2019, 07:15 PM

Oct 2 Ghost Stories 2018

Oct 5 Childs Play 2019

Sai Sheb
10-06-2019, 12:09 AM
My wife doesn't do horror.
My youngest two do goosebumps, monster house ect.
They take over the telly in my house:cry: not like when I was younger...

Ricky
10-06-2019, 12:31 PM
Oct 5 Childs Play 2019

I liked the new Child's Play.

And I watched my first of the season last night: The Curse of La Llorona. It wasn't as good as I was hoping. Pretty reliant on jump scares and the script+story weren't as strong as they could've been. And the design of La Llorona was a little cheesy.

Sai Sheb
10-06-2019, 11:47 PM
Sometimes they come back 1991.
Blast from the past...

Heather19
10-07-2019, 03:50 AM
Blast from the past...
Love this one!

I also watched the first episode of the Holzer Files last night since you mentioned it earlier. Have you seen it yet? I was kind of bored.

Oh no, really. I haven't seen it yet, plan to watch it tonight when I get home.

I officially watched my first horror film of the month this past weekend. Elvira Mistress of the Dark. It's been quite a few years since I've last seen it, but it's funny because me and my sister watched this one all time when we were younger. And watching it now its filled entirely with sexual innuendos :lol:

WeDealInLead
10-07-2019, 04:03 AM
I'm going to try to watch one Stephen King adaptation per day. I'm a little behind but it's nothing a solid day off and a bucket of popcorn can't fix:

Gerald's Game
The Dark Tower
In the Tall Grass

mattgreenbean
10-07-2019, 06:25 AM
Oct 2 Ghost Stories 2018
Oct 5 Child's Play 2019
Oct 6 The Hallow 2015 (creature feature)

And I watched my first of the season last night: The Curse of La Llorona. It wasn't as good as I was hoping. Pretty reliant on jump scares and the script+story weren't as strong as they could've been. And the design of La Llorona was a little cheesy.

I pretty much go into every movie with the lowest of low expectations and usually come out thinking, "That was kinda cool." But I was hoping that this one would be great. I only thought it had a nice story.

Blast from the past...

I'm gonna watch this one this month for sure.

I'm going to try to watch one Stephen King adaptation per day. I'm a little behind but it's nothing a solid day off and a bucket of popcorn can't fix:

Gerald's Game
The Dark Tower
In the Tall Grass

Gerald's Game was very good, TDT is good if you pretend it's not TDT related, and I've got to break open Full Throttle before I watch In the Tall Grass, I haven't even watched the trailer.

Ricky
10-07-2019, 02:12 PM

I officially watched my first horror film of the month this past weekend. Elvira Mistress of the Dark. It's been quite a few years since I've last seen it, but it's funny because me and my sister watched this one all time when we were younger. And watching it now its filled entirely with sexual innuendos :lol:

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the show when you watch it. Maybe I need to give it another couple episodes, but I kind of feel like it'll stick to the same style/formula.

And I didn't know Elvira did movies as Elvira. :lol: Is it worth a watch? I Googled it just now and it sounds interesting. :lol:

I pretty much go into every movie with the lowest of low expectations and usually come out thinking, "That was kinda cool." But I was hoping that this one would be great. I only thought it had a nice story.

Yeah, I agree. I didn't go in with high expectations so I wasn't mad or anything, but I was hoping it would be a little better.

And I want to get to Full Throttle before In the Tall Grass, too. But The Institute first. Probably next month.

Heather19
10-07-2019, 02:56 PM

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the show when you watch it. Maybe I need to give it another couple episodes, but I kind of feel like it'll stick to the same style/formula.

And I didn't know Elvira did movies as Elvira. :lol: Is it worth a watch? I Googled it just now and it sounds interesting. :lol:

Yes! It's so good. Maybe I'm biased because I grew up watching it, but Matt thought it was ridiculous and a bit cheesy. Which it is, but it's still entertaining. Plus it's got a kick ass poodle in it https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5xnxnyWUAEpeqZ.jpg
It's streaming on Tubi tv for free :D

I watched the show earlier tonight. I enjoyed it, although I do feel like these shows are all the same so we'll see how long I watch it for.

Ricky
10-07-2019, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the link! I officially added it to my ever-growing Halloween list. Haha. And that poodle is ridiculous. :lol:

And you're right. Most of those paranormal shows are pretty similar, so they really have to do something unique (make it suspenseful, bring in other experts, etc.) to make me engaged.

WeDealInLead
10-07-2019, 05:29 PM
Gerald's Game
The Dark Tower
In the Tall Grass
It chapter 1
Pet Sematary (remake)
The Shining
Misery

mattgreenbean
10-07-2019, 09:31 PM
Oct 2 Ghost Stories 2018
Oct 5 Child's Play 2019
Oct 7 It Chapter II 2019 (Wow epic!)

mattgreenbean
10-09-2019, 06:01 PM
Oct 2 Ghost Stories 2018
Oct 5 Child's Play 2019
Oct 8 Nosferatu the Vampyre 1979

Ricky
10-09-2019, 06:29 PM
Watched Cult of Chucky last night. Really good, but got a little iffy for me with a choice in the last act. Overall, like Curse of Chucky, way better than a 7th movie in a franchise has any right to be.

WeDealInLead
10-10-2019, 06:38 PM
Gerald's Game
The Dark Tower
In the Tall Grass
It chapter 1
Pet Sematary (remake)
The Shining
Misery
Children of the Corn
Sometime They Come Back

Sai Sheb
10-11-2019, 12:23 AM
Langoliers... been ages since I watch it.

Iwritecode
10-11-2019, 05:22 AM
So my daughter was shuffling through Netflix's "horror" section last night and may have picked the 2 worst horror movies ever made.

The first was called Deadly Detention or something like that. It was a b-movie at best and just barely a step up from a student film. The premise is that a group of teenagers had Saturday detention but because their school was shut down due to an infestation of rabid opossums (WTF?) they instead moved the detention to an old abandoned prison. Seriously... what the actual fuck?

The usual horror movie schlock happens. The killer takes out the teacher and then proceeds to pick the kids off one by one. The problem is that for the first half of the movie, none of the characters actually die on screen. They simply cut to black just before something is about to happen. Of course they characters get separated at one point and two of them, instead of finding the goddamn exit, decide to have sex. Twice. But they somehow weren't killed during the act. Which I always though was horror movie 101.

The writing was awful, the acting was awful, the story was awful and the ending sucked. This is definitely a movie that should never be watched by anyone.

That said, I think the second movie choice may have been worse. It was either called Circle or The Circle.

It starts out with 50 people standing in a room. They are all in a circle around big black ball looking thing in the middle. They are also standing on individual red circles on the floor. If they try to leave their individual circle, they die. If they try to touch another person, they die. Lightning shoots out of the ball and kills them. Every 2 minutes another person dies but they are all allowed to "vote" on who dies. The voting isn't explained real well but nobody can see who voted for who.

They all spend the entire movie arguing who should live and who should die until it comes down to the final 2. When if finally gets down to the last person they are allowed to leave. The ending is just the last person standing outside with another group of people looking at some alien ships. That's it.

They never explain anything in the movie at all. Mostly it's the worst stereotypical people you can think of all put in a room together voting for each other to be killed. One guy is a racist, one thinks all the older people should go first, one thinks another is an illegal alien so he should go. Etc...

It was an interesting premise but they never really dug into any of the issues at all. Plus, they all died so there was no opportunity for any kind of character growth or anything.

TL/DR version: don't waste your time on either of these movies.

St. Troy
10-11-2019, 08:30 AM
The Circle sounds like it could've been converted into a decent episode of The Twilight Zone (in the hands of a capable writer).

Iwritecode
10-11-2019, 09:34 AM
The Circle sounds like it could've been converted into a decent episode of The Twilight Zone (in the hands of a capable writer).

Or Black Mirror.

Ricky
10-11-2019, 01:02 PM
The premise is that a group of teenagers had Saturday detention but because their school was shut down due to an infestation of rabid opossums (WTF?) they instead moved the detention to an old abandoned prison.

I laughed out loud at this. :lol:

kingfan2323
10-11-2019, 04:49 PM
Weekend movie lineup:
Tonight - Haunt
Tomorrow- Robert Rodriguez's The Faculty
Sunday - Midsommar
Never seen Haunt or Midsommar. Loved Hereditary.

Sai Sheb
10-12-2019, 12:51 AM
Im still on my SK buzz so gonna try n do the stand and maybe silver bullet this weekend.
I know the acting is below par, graphics are AWFUL but I just cant help but love 80s n 90s horror..especially King movies...

Ricky
10-12-2019, 06:34 AM
Kingfan, let me know how Haunt is. That's on my list, too.

Saw Joker last night (if that counts) and enjoyed it. A little slower paced than I was expecting, but great character work, acting, score, and those final 15 minutes were bananas.

kingfan2323
10-12-2019, 07:35 AM
Kingfan, let me know how Haunt is. That's on my list, too.

Saw Joker last night (if that counts) and enjoyed it. A little slower paced than I was expecting, but great character work, acting, score, and those final 15 minutes were bananas.Hey Ricky, if you read the description and it sounds interesting then you will love Haunt. Quick decent character development, solid acting, atmospheric and jump scares, and dare I say- badass kills.

Ricky
10-12-2019, 09:25 AM
Sounds good! Might have to bump it up on the list. I just bought Annabelle Comes Home today, so that's one I'm looking forward to also.

kingfan2323
10-12-2019, 02:03 PM
Sounds good! Might have to bump it up on the list. I just bought Annabelle Comes Home today, so that's one I'm looking forward to also.YOU let me know on that one if you would?

Ricky
10-12-2019, 02:16 PM
Sure will!

mattgreenbean
10-12-2019, 06:59 PM
Oct 2 Ghost Stories 2018
Oct 5 Child's Play 2019
Oct 10 Dagon 2001 (lovecraftian)
Oct 12 Sometimes They Come Back 1991

Sai Sheb
10-13-2019, 12:08 AM
https://movies.rottentomatoes.com/pub/sf/ResponseForm?_ri_=X0Gzc2X%3DYQpglLjHJlTQGNciBzbutq LMn9DMd7pOyhMyh9HSgzfn85anLzarzcTazdpr8bKus8Ww0Tcz eybGuNgzb97VXMtX%3DYQpglLjHJlTQGn8nXGjJgpfN2GynGk8 eb5bBi47sWboCE8zfvihMaShdj2SWzdbbzeJw0teXTzfOGnv0&_ei_=Ej4TOedcwqIigr-fk-ou0mYh_AwyrM

For anyone who's interested... rotten tomatoes top 100 on netflix.

Ricky
10-13-2019, 09:28 AM
Kingfan, I watched Annabelle Comes Home last night and am sad to say I was disappointed, especially because I was looking forward to it since it was announced. The concept of the Warrens' artifact room is phenomenal on paper and has a ton of potential (and having Patrick and Vera back as the Warrens back didn't hurt), but ultimately it just didn't do it for me. It had a very slow build-up, didn't do a great job with the utilization of the main entities, and the horror and suspense elements were mainly concerned with jumpscares and characters quietly walking down dark hallways. If I had to really pinpoint the film's problems I would boil it down to pacing and story, which were the same problems I had with The Nun and a couple other Gary Dauberman-responsible horror projects. I will say that having the film center on Judy really worked for me (and Mckenna Grace's performance was fantastic), but ultimately it feels like a PG-13 horror rather than something with real scares and stakes. It's not a bad film at all (and is a good October watch), but, for me, it didn't deliver its full potential.

kingfan2323
10-13-2019, 01:20 PM
Kingfan, I watched Annabelle Comes Home last night and am sad to say I was disappointed, especially because I was looking forward to it since it was announced. The concept of the Warrens' artifact room is phenomenal on paper and has a ton of potential (and having Patrick and Vera back as the Warrens back didn't hurt), but ultimately it just didn't do it for me. It had a very slow build-up, didn't do a great job with the utilization of the main entities, and the horror and suspense elements were mainly concerned with jumpscares and characters quietly walking down dark hallways. If I had to really pinpoint the film's problems I would boil it down to pacing and story, which were the same problems I had with The Nun and a couple other Gary Dauberman-responsible horror projects. I will say that having the film center on Judy really worked for me (and Mckenna Grace's performance was fantastic), but ultimately it feels like a PG-13 horror rather than something with real scares and stakes. It's not a bad film at all (and is a good October watch), but, for me, it didn't deliver its full potential.Cool. Thanks for a great review. I bet I will agree with a lot of your points. I really only liked one movie of the series so far. The Conjuring.

Girlystevedave
10-16-2019, 09:18 AM
With the start of October (and the season for prime horror movie-watching) only two days away, it's time to get the ball rolling on this year's Halloween Horror-thon!

On the TV side, I'm watching the new season of American Horror Story

What's everyone planning on watching or re-watching this year? New releases? Favorite classics? And, most importantly, what's your favorite go-to Halloween-movie-watching snack or treat?

Aw-yeah uh!!
I meant to start the new season of American Horror Story, but didn't yet. I haven't watched the past few seasons, but the new one looked like a fun Halloween watch. Have you watched any yet? If so, would you recommend it?

I love how you included snacks in the discussion. :lol:
My snacks are usually popcorn, followed by M&Ms or cookies. You know, things that are ideal to eat in the dark. I try to avoid the complicated things like creme-filled donuts, but won't say I won't live on the edge sometimes. haha

Also does anyone watch Halloween Wars? That's another favorite of mine that I have to watch every year.

Yes! I love Halloween Wars. I think we discussed it last year, but it amazes me the kind of things they can create on that show. I also watch a bit of that Haunted Gingerbread Showdown when I catch it.

Haha! Now I want to seek this out just for fun. I'm almost positive I saw it as a kid, but can't remember much about it. Isn't it great to rewatch stuff from your childhood and think: "Jeez, this was pretty edgy for me to watch as a kid and I didn't even know it". ? :lol:

So my daughter was shuffling through Netflix's "horror" section last night and may have picked the 2 worst horror movies ever made.

The first was called Deadly Detention or something like that. It was a b-movie at best and just barely a step up from a student film. The premise is that a group of teenagers had Saturday detention but because their school was shut down due to an infestation of rabid opossums (WTF?) they instead moved the detention to an old abandoned prison. Seriously... what the actual fuck?

The usual horror movie schlock happens. The killer takes out the teacher and then proceeds to pick the kids off one by one. The problem is that for the first half of the movie, none of the characters actually die on screen. They simply cut to black just before something is about to happen. Of course they characters get separated at one point and two of them, instead of finding the goddamn exit, decide to have sex. Twice. But they somehow weren't killed during the act. Which I always though was horror movie 101.

I swear I almost spit my food out reading your synopsis. It's great. The prison. The two morons stopping to have sex instead of finding the exit. I love it. :rofl:

Im still on my SK buzz so gonna try n do the stand and maybe silver bullet this weekend.
I know the acting is below par, graphics are AWFUL but I just cant help but love 80s n 90s horror..especially King movies...

Heck yeah. I still love to watch Silver Bullet to this day. It's not top notch horror, but there's still an element of unease for me when I watch it.

Girlystevedave
10-16-2019, 09:28 AM
So far, these are the movies I've watched this season:

Happy Death Day 2U
House
I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House

I still want to get around to watching:
Insidious - The Last Key
Pet Sematary (2019)
In the Tall Grass

Plus some other ones I'm forgetting

Ricky
10-16-2019, 01:37 PM
I started The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina a few days ago. I'm two episodes in right now. It's fairly enjoyable--and I like its twist on witchcraft--but it hasn't completely won me over yet.

Heather, I ended up starting this year's season of the Gingerbread Showdown after all and now I'm invested. :lol: Maybe I'm not remembering correctly but I could've sworn Sandra Lee hosted last year. :orely:

Aw-yeah uh!!
I meant to start the new season of American Horror Story, but didn't yet. I haven't watched the past few seasons, but the new one looked like a fun Halloween watch. Have you watched any yet? If so, would you recommend it?

I love how you included snacks in the discussion. :lol:
My snacks are usually popcorn, followed by M&Ms or cookies. You know, things that are ideal to eat in the dark. I try to avoid the complicated things like creme-filled donuts, but won't say I won't live on the edge sometimes. haha

I'm all caught up on this season of AHS (I think it has had 4 episodes so far?). It's very watchable, but I'm not hooked or feeling that need-the-next-episode-NOW feeling that I've gotten from past seasons. It's an homage to 80s slashers, so it kind of does have that Halloweeny feel.

And you know I had to include snacks! They're nearly as important as the movie itself. Haha. For crunch it's been Doritos lately. And donuts (double chocolate and pumpkin). But you know what, popcorn and M&Ms DO go great together. :thumbsup:

So far, these are the movies I've watched this season:

Happy Death Day 2U

I still want to get around to watching:
Insidious - The Last Key
Pet Sematary (2019)
In the Tall Grass

Wait, you didn't watch Happy Death Day 2 U before you watched Happy Death Day, did you? :lol:

And you gotta get to that last Insidious, man! Haha.

Heather19
10-16-2019, 05:36 PM
I love the new season of AHS. I'm just enjoying it for that 80s slasher feel. I don't expect anything thought provoking, but its keeping me thoroughly entertained, so that's a win in my book. Hopefully the rest of the episodes are on the same level as the first bunch. I know they sometimes like to switch things up a bit.

Ricky, I also started The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina the other day. I enjoyed the first episode but it didn't fully grab me for some reason. Hopefully it will as I watch more. I did end up finally starting The Haunting of Hill House. Not sure why it took me so long to start it but I'm loving it!

Amanda, what did you think of I Am the Pretty Thing that Lives in the House? I thought it was a really good quiet creepy movie. Oh and Silver Bullet is a favorite of mine as well. I've seen that film countless times.

mattgreenbean
10-16-2019, 06:48 PM
Oct 2 Ghost Stories 2018
Oct 5 Child's Play 2019
Oct 10 Dagon 2001 (lovecraftian)
Oct 12 Sometimes They Come Back 1991

Oct 13 Dark Ride 2006
Oct 15 It Follows 2014
Oct 16 Fright Night 1985

Girlystevedave
10-17-2019, 09:00 AM
Wait, you didn't watch Happy Death Day 2 U before you watched Happy Death Day, did you? :lol:

And you gotta get to that last Insidious, man! Haha.

No, I just listed the wrong movie. :rofl:
Can you imagine me sitting down to watch a sequel before seeing the original? haha

And I swear, this is the year for the last Insidious.

[Cut to my death years down the road] My tombstone reads: "Maybe she'll see the last Indisous in the after-life"

Amanda, what did you think of I Am the Pretty Thing that Lives in the House? I thought it was a really good quiet creepy movie. Oh and Silver Bullet is a favorite of mine as well. I've seen that film countless times.

I liked the feel of it, but wasn't too excited by the climax. The tone of it was done well though and reminded me of a classic ghost story.

And Silver Bullet is so fun to this day. :thumbsup:

Oct 16 Fright Night 1985

Fright Night is a classic for me.

WeDealInLead
10-17-2019, 09:18 AM
Gerald's Game
The Dark Tower
In the Tall Grass
It chapter 1
Pet Sematary (remake)
The Shining
Misery
Children of the Corn
Sometime They Come Back
The Night Flier
The Graveyard Shift
Silver Bullet
Pet Sematary
The Dead Zone

Ricky
10-17-2019, 02:17 PM
I did end up finally starting The Haunting of Hill House. Not sure why it took me so long to start it but I'm loving it!

I'm really surprised you hadn't watched it already! I'm glad you're liking it. The first couple episodes were slow to me and didn't really grip me, but that changed afterwards. I think they did a really good job on that show overall. The character work is great (plus the atmosphere and some genuine creepiness).

Oct 16 Fright Night 1985

This is one that I put on my list from last year (I think at Heather's recommendation) that I didn't get around to. Is it pure horror, or kind of campy/comedy?

No, I just listed the wrong movie. :rofl:
Can you imagine me sitting down to watch a sequel before seeing the original? haha

And I swear, this is the year for the last Insidious.

[Cut to my death years down the road] My tombstone reads: "Maybe she'll see the last Indisous in the after-life"

Ah, okay. Haha. Just wanted to make sure, since those titles are pretty similar.

And when you finally watch the last Insidious, I'm going to stand up and do a slow clap for you. :lol:

Heather19
10-17-2019, 04:43 PM
Watch Fright Night Ricky!

And I think I probably started Haunting of Hill House maybe 3 times over the past year? But I never made it thru the first episode for some reason. Once I did however, I was hooked. I'm glad to hear it gets better as it goes on. I think I'm only 3 episodes in at the moment.

Ricky
10-17-2019, 04:50 PM
I think that's about where it started picking up for me. There's some good stuff coming! Especially the Bent Neck Lady episode (I think it's episode 6?).

And it looks like Fright Night is airing a few times in the next week or so, so I'll have to remember to set my DVR. :)

kingfan2323
10-17-2019, 04:52 PM
Friday - Crawl
Sat.- 3 from Hell
Sun. - Dogtooth (not horror & probably the "Scariest" of the 3)

Crawl good?

mattgreenbean
10-17-2019, 06:45 PM
Fright Night was written and directed by Tom Holland. He also co-wrote the screenplay and directed Child's Play and directed Thinner. So it's horror that you can smile at while watching.

* = 1st time watch
$ = bad
$$ = good
$$$ = awesome
Oct 1 - The Pit & The Pendulum 1991 (Bernie Wrightson is thanked in the credits) * $$
Oct 2 Ghost Stories 2018 * $$
Oct 3 Pandorum 2009 (Space Horror) $$
Oct 4 Paranormal Activity 2009 (we watched PA 3, 2, 1 for the chronological order) $$$
Oct 5 Child's Play 2019 $$
Oct 6 The Hallow 2015 (creature feature) $$
Oct 7 It Chapter II 2019 (Wow epic!) * $$$
Oct 8 Nosferatu the Vampyre 1979 * $
Oct 10 Dagon 2001 (lovecraftian) $$
Oct 12 Sometimes They Come Back 1991 $$
Oct 13 Dark Ride 2006 * $$
Oct 15 It Follows 2014 $$$
Oct 16 Fright Night 1985 $$

Oct 17 The Invisible Man $$

kingfan2323
10-17-2019, 08:43 PM
Fright Night was written and directed by Tom Holland. He also co-wrote the screenplay and directed Child's Play and directed Thinner. So it's horror that you can smile at while watching.

* = 1st time watch
$ = bad
$$ = good
$$$ = awesome
Oct 1 - The Pit & The Pendulum 1991 (Bernie Wrightson is thanked in the credits) * $$
Oct 4 Paranormal Activity 2009 (we watched PA 3, 2, 1 for the chronological order) $$$

Oct 17 The Invisible Man $$Loved It Follows! Good call.

Ricky
10-18-2019, 08:24 AM
Friday - Crawl
Sat.- 3 from Hell
Sun. - Dogtooth (not horror & probably the "Scariest" of the 3)

Crawl good?

Looks like you're in for a good movie weekend. I saw--and enjoyed--Crawl. I was surprised, though, because it wasn't played up as campy like I thought it would be. It's a very straight, serious (but fun) suspense/thriller. I think you'll enjoy it. And you'll have to let me know how 3 From Hell is. I'm hoping to get to that one soon.

Interesting. I like both of those--I think Thinner doesn't get enough credit as one of the better King adaptations--so maybe I'll give it a shot soon. I just checked On Demand and it's free. :)

Girlystevedave
10-19-2019, 06:03 AM
And when you finally watch the last Insidious, I'm going to stand up and do a slow clap for you. :lol:

:rofl:

Watch Fright Night Ricky!

And I think I probably started Haunting of Hill House maybe 3 times over the past year? But I never made it thru the first episode for some reason. Once I did however, I was hooked. I'm glad to hear it gets better as it goes on. I think I'm only 3 episodes in at the moment.

Man, you guys just made me remember that I never finished Haunting of Hill House. I started it last year around Halloween and never watched all of it. :doh:
I need to finish it this season. I did enjoy what I saw.

Interesting. I like both of those--I think Thinner doesn't get enough credit as one of the better King adaptations--so maybe I'll give it a shot soon. I just checked On Demand and it's free. :)

Do it, Ricky! Fright Night is a fun 80's horror flick. :thumbsup:

mattgreenbean
10-20-2019, 07:09 AM
* = 1st time watch
$ = bad
$$ = good
$$$ = awesome

Oct 19 Paranormal Activity 4 2012 $$

Heather19
10-21-2019, 05:06 AM
So I somehow got Matt to watch Sleepaway Camp with me this weekend. I forgot how funny that movie was :rofl: And then we rewatched Friday the 13th part 2. I might go ahead and watch a few more of those. I think I've seen a few more of them but I can't remember what happens beyond that one.

Also we had our annual pumpkin carve off and I decided to do a Pennywise pumpkin this year :D

Ricky
10-21-2019, 01:55 PM
I saw your pumpkin on Facebook and I immediately knew it was Pennywise! Did you use a pattern? If not, that was pretty good.

And I really disliked Sleepaway Camp when I watched it a few years ago. :lol:

mattgreenbean
10-22-2019, 03:18 AM
* = 1st time watch
$ = bad
$$ = good
$$$ = awesome

Oct 21 The Barn 2017 * $$ (crowdfunded low budget, so I valued it on a different scale)

Heather19
10-22-2019, 04:50 AM
I saw your pumpkin on Facebook and I immediately knew it was Pennywise! Did you use a pattern? If not, that was pretty good.

And I really disliked Sleepaway Camp when I watched it a few years ago. :lol:

Thanks! I did it free hand based off of one I saw online. And Sleepaway Camp is so ridiculously bad that's it super entertaining. I think it might have traumatized Matt though :rofl:

Ricky
10-22-2019, 02:02 PM
The main thing that sticks out in my mind about it is that "What the hell?" ending. :lol:

And is that the one where they film the campers playing almost an entire baseball game? :rofl:

mattgreenbean
10-22-2019, 07:51 PM
* = 1st time watch
$ = bad
$$ = good
$$$ = awesome
Oct 21 The Barn 2017 * $$ (crowdfunded low budget, so I valued it on a different scale)

Oct 22 An Incident On and Off A Mountain Road 2005 $$$ (one of the best Master of Horror movies)

Heather19
10-23-2019, 04:17 AM
The main thing that sticks out in my mind about it is that "What the hell?" ending. :lol:

And is that the one where they film the campers playing almost an entire baseball game? :rofl:
Yes :rofl: The kid even complains at one point after a few people die that there's not enough kids left to get a real game going :lol:

* = 1st time watch
$ = bad
$$ = good
$$$ = awesome

Oct 22 An Incident On and Off A Mountain Road 2005 $$$ (one of the best Master of Horror movies)

One of my favorites from that series.

Girlystevedave
10-23-2019, 07:45 AM
So I somehow got Matt to watch Sleepaway Camp with me this weekend. I forgot how funny that movie was :rofl: And then we rewatched Friday the 13th part 2. I might go ahead and watch a few more of those. I think I've seen a few more of them but I can't remember what happens beyond that one.

Also we had our annual pumpkin carve off and I decided to do a Pennywise pumpkin this year :D

I've never seen Sleepaway Camp, but looked it up just now. The synopsis on IMDB cracked me up. :lol: "Angela Baker, a traumatized and very shy young girl, is sent to summer camp with her cousin. Shortly after her arrival, anyone with sinister or less than honorable intentions gets their comeuppance."

And I've gotta hop on Facebook to see your pumpkin!

Girlystevedave
10-23-2019, 07:47 AM
So Jacob watched his first scary movie last night- Silver Bullet. Not only was it his first scary movie, but also his first taste of anything Stephen King. He really really enjoyed it, which makes me super happy. :)

Ricky
10-23-2019, 02:29 PM
Yes :rofl: The kid even complains at one point after a few people die that there's not enough kids left to get a real game going :lol:

I don't remember that line. :rofl:

anyone with sinister or less than honorable intentions gets their comeuppance."[/I]

Oh no, not comeuppance! :rofl:

So Jacob watched his first scary movie last night- Silver Bullet. Not only was it his first scary movie, but also his first taste of anything Stephen King. He really really enjoyed it, which makes me super happy. :)

That's awesome! I'm trying to get my cousin (who's Jacob's age) into more scary stuff, but he's scared of the plush Michael Myers I have at home so...baby steps. :lol:

I have gotten him interested in more of the "real" shows, like Ghost Adventures and Paranormal Caught On Camera, so that's a start!

Heather19
10-23-2019, 02:37 PM

I've never seen Sleepaway Camp, but looked it up just now. The synopsis on IMDB cracked me up. :lol: "Angela Baker, a traumatized and very shy young girl, is sent to summer camp with her cousin. Shortly after her arrival, anyone with sinister or less than honorable intentions gets their comeuppance."

And I've gotta hop on Facebook to see your pumpkin!

You need to watch it! It's a gem of a film :lol: Honestly if you like really bad cheesy films then you'll enjoy it. And the ending is without a doubt one of the most insane things I've ever seen.

And that's awesome that Jacob liked Silver Bullet :)

Girlystevedave
10-24-2019, 06:48 AM
That's awesome! I'm trying to get my cousin (who's Jacob's age) into more scary stuff, but he's scared of the plush Michael Myers I have at home so...baby steps. :lol:

I have gotten him interested in more of the "real" shows, like Ghost Adventures and Paranormal Caught On Camera, so that's a start!

Haha. Baby steps for sure! :lol:
Jacob had zero interest in anything "scary" until he watched Stranger Things with me recently. I think he was mostly interested in the 80's vibe, which led to him being interested in seeing an 80's horror flick. I'm still taking baby steps myself though because although I grew up on horror movies, I'm unsure on which ones I feel are safe for him. haha
A few nights ago, he said to me "You know what I want to see one day? The original IT movie." It made me super happy, but super unsure at the same time. :lol:

And that's cool that you've gotten your nephew into the paranormal stuff! That's gotta be a gateway to the harder scary stuff. :lol:
You're doing it, Ricky!

You need to watch it! It's a gem of a film :lol: Honestly if you like really bad cheesy films then you'll enjoy it. And the ending is without a doubt one of the most insane things I've ever seen.

And that's awesome that Jacob liked Silver Bullet :)

Man, reading you and Ricky's exchanges up there about it had me laughing, so I'm gonna HAVE to find it to watch. :lol:

And I'm already trying to plan what scary movie to get Jacob to watch next. :)

Iwritecode
10-24-2019, 08:05 AM
I just found out last night that my youngest daughter has never seen the original IT movie.

I said something about Stuttering Bill and she had no idea who I was talking about. She also didn't know the phrase "He thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts".

I know my other 2 kids have seen it. The bathroom scenes scared them so much that ever since then, they take one of our cats in the bathroom with them anytime they take a shower.

kingfan2323
10-24-2019, 09:32 AM
I just found out last night that my youngest daughter has never seen the original IT movie.

I said something about Stuttering Bill and she had no idea who I was talking about. She also didn't know the phrase "He thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts".

I know my other 2 kids have seen it. The bathroom scenes scared them so much that ever since then, they take one of our cats in the bathroom with them anytime they take a shower.Scary/Risky showing old King TV miniseries to young people. We love them but time has not been kind to most of them. Ha! If they get wrapped up in the nostalgia you are safe. Good luck!

Girlystevedave
10-24-2019, 11:41 AM
I know my other 2 kids have seen it. The bathroom scenes scared them so much that ever since then, they take one of our cats in the bathroom with them anytime they take a shower.

:rofl: This is funny, but not funny at the same time. haha

Scary/Risky showing old King TV miniseries to young people. We love them but time has not been kind to most of them. Ha! If they get wrapped up in the nostalgia you are safe. Good luck!

Yeah, I remember being scared by the original IT miniseries as a kid, but haven't seen it in SO long that I feel like I need to rewatch it before sharing it with my kid. Not just to gauge the scare factor, but to gauge the crap factor before exposing him to it. :lol:

Ricky
10-24-2019, 03:22 PM
Jacob had zero interest in anything "scary" until he watched Stranger Things with me recently. I think he was mostly interested in the 80's vibe, which led to him being interested in seeing an 80's horror flick.

Ah, okay. That kind of makes sense since it's not horror horror. Plus, with having so many kid characters I would think it makes it more accessible and relatable to kids.

And about his comment about wanting to see the IT miniseries, that kid is clearly going places. :lol:

Girlystevedave
10-25-2019, 08:23 AM
Ah, okay. That kind of makes sense since it's not horror horror. Plus, with having so many kid characters I would think it makes it more accessible and relatable to kids.

Exactly. It was the perfect introduction. To be honest, I had a feeling that Stranger Things would lead to him actually caring about other "scary" things. On the outside, I played it cool, all: "Your're interested in Stranger Things? Let's check it out to see if you like it." One the inside, I was all: "HE'S GONNA LOVE THIS SHOW AND IT'S GONNA MAKE HIM WANT TO WATCH OTHER SCARY THINGS, WHICH WILL LEAD TO WANTING TO READ STEPHEN KING AND OH MAN, EVERYTHING IS ALIGNING PERFECTLY." :lol:

And about his comment about wanting to see the IT miniseries, that kid is clearly going places. :lol:

:lol:
Man, I hope so! Your kid wanting to see something King related is definitely a happy parent moment.

Ricky
10-25-2019, 04:12 PM
One the inside, I was all: "HE'S GONNA LOVE THIS SHOW AND IT'S GONNA MAKE HIM WANT TO WATCH OTHER SCARY THINGS, WHICH WILL LEAD TO WANTING TO READ STEPHEN KING AND OH MAN, EVERYTHING IS ALIGNING PERFECTLY." :lol:

As you rub your hands together mischievously. :lol:

And speaking of King and Iwritecode's It post earlier, we were doing a lesson on character traits today and one of the kids said something like, "Clowns are scary," with scary being the character trait. Then another kid said, "Actually, Pennywise really isn't a clown. It's final form is a giant spider. Nerd alert." These are third graders! :rofl:

Heather19
10-27-2019, 11:07 AM
:rofl: That's awesome

Ricky
10-27-2019, 01:55 PM
I finally watched 3 From Hell last night. I enjoyed it, though I'd rank it a little lower than Devil's Rejects, which is still my favorite of the three. I loved the faux documentary at the beginning, all the jail scenes, and how Baby was even more nuts this time around (both scary and sad). And the addition of Foxy didn't bother me like I thought it might. It seemed like he fit right in with the family, like he'd been there all along. I thought it was a little slow in parts, but overall it was fun. After Lords of Salem and 31, I'm glad this was so much better. I guess Rob Zombie has a special place in his heart for these characters, because they're definitely the most interesting out of all his films, I think.

Also, I watched the Making Of featurette on the DVD and it cut off abruptly at the 30 minute mark, so I Googled it and it turns out the full 4-part documentary is only on the Blu-Ray (the DVD only has the first part)! :arg:

Heather19
10-28-2019, 04:43 AM
So glad you enjoyed it Ricky! Did I tell you when I saw it in theaters that it was also supposed to show the making of documentary. But weirdly the documentary cut off part way in. I'll have to pick up the blu-ray so I can watch the whole thing. Surprised they didn't include the whole thing on the dvd.

Ricky
10-28-2019, 01:58 PM
I remember you saying you saw the documentary, and as it cut off while I was watching it I was thinking, "Damnit, Heather got to see the whole thing." Haha. But I guess not!

Heather19
10-28-2019, 03:42 PM
Nope! How far in did you see. We got maybe 20ish min? Not sure how much we missed. It cut off when they were rolling joints :rofl:

mattgreenbean
10-28-2019, 07:17 PM
* = 1st time watch
$ = bad
$$ = good
$$$ = awesome

Oct 24 The Black Cat 2007 $$ (another masters of horror)
Oct 27 Crawl 2019 * $
Oct 28 Gothika 2003 * $$$

mattgreenbean
10-29-2019, 07:27 PM
* = 1st time watch
$ = bad
$$ = good
$$$ = awesome
Oct 27 Crawl 2019 * $

Oct 29 Hell House, Llc 2015 $$$$ (that's right, 4)

Ricky
10-30-2019, 08:30 AM
Nope! How far in did you see. We got maybe 20ish min? Not sure how much we missed. It cut off when they were rolling joints :rofl:

Yes! That's exactly where it cut off on the DVD. :rofl:

* = 1st time watch
$ = bad
$$ = good
$$$ = awesome

Oct 27 Crawl 2019 * $

I enjoyed Crawl. It wasn't campy like I was expecting it to be.

Like every year, there's still so many more movies I want to get to that I know I won't have time for: Eli, Happy Death Day 2 U, Pet Sematary. Maybe we extend the season another few days? ;)

Heather19
10-30-2019, 09:15 AM

Yes! That's exactly where it cut off on the DVD. :rofl

Ah! Maybe they were showing us a dvd version of the film then. I heard people complaining to management when we left and they seemed baffled that it was cut off. Weird though, you would think they would have the proper version to show in the theaters.

Heather19
10-30-2019, 09:17 AM
Maybe we extend the season another few days? ;)

Or the whole year... :D

We should do one for each holiday or season. I know there's lots of Christmas ones I want to watch this year :)

Girlystevedave
10-30-2019, 10:04 AM
One the inside, I was all: "HE'S GONNA LOVE THIS SHOW AND IT'S GONNA MAKE HIM WANT TO WATCH OTHER SCARY THINGS, WHICH WILL LEAD TO WANTING TO READ STEPHEN KING AND OH MAN, EVERYTHING IS ALIGNING PERFECTLY." :lol:

As you rub your hands together mischievously. :lol:

And speaking of King and Iwritecode's It post earlier, we were doing a lesson on character traits today and one of the kids said something like, "Clowns are scary," with scary being the character trait. Then another kid said, "Actually, Pennywise really isn't a clown. It's final form is a giant spider. Nerd alert." These are third graders! :rofl:

Damn! Impressive AND unsettling. :lol:

Maybe we extend the season another few days? ;)

We should do one for each holiday or season. I know there's lots of Christmas ones I want to watch this year :)

Yes! We should totally do a Christmas-Watch-a-Thon Thread. :thumbsup:

Cheer-a-Thon?

mattgreenbean
10-30-2019, 11:39 AM
[QUOTE=Heather19;1171098]
I enjoyed Crawl. It wasn't campy like I was expecting it to be.

Like every year, there's still so many more movies I want to get to that I know I won't have time for: Eli, Happy Death Day 2 U, Pet Sematary. Maybe we extend the season another few days? ;)

I thought it was a well acted and filmed movie, but having grown up in Florida, I felt like the director (who I enjoy a few of his other movies) took the idea of "What's Florida known for, hmm, alligators and hurricanes (specifically CAT 5 hurricanes), let's do this." and threw all logic out the window. It was filmed all in Serbia by Serbian's and the director is French, I don't think they had their facts we quite right.
My wife thought it was going to be like Sharknado, I wish it had of been.
And the drain from a lake tied directly to this houses crawlspace was an incredibly stupid explanation of how all the alligators were getting in. I don't know how things work in other countries, maybe that's how they do it in Serbia
Over all, it just didn't work for me. I was drinking while watching it though, and that did help me laugh through most of it. :smile:

Mattrick
10-30-2019, 11:44 AM
Wrong Thread

Ricky
10-30-2019, 02:08 PM
Ah! Maybe they were showing us a dvd version of the film then. I heard people complaining to management when we left and they seemed baffled that it was cut off. Weird though, you would think they would have the proper version to show in the theaters.

Yeah, that's strange that they wouldn't just show the whole thing, unless they wanted to use it as a money-grab for people to buy the Blu-Ray. At the very least, they should've had something on the screen to let you know that it wasn't the full documentary.

Yes! We should totally do a Christmas-Watch-a-Thon Thread. :thumbsup:

Cheer-a-Thon?

Oh, that's a good idea! It'll help ease the post-Halloween depression. :lol:

So do you guys mean just Christmas movies in general, or Christmas horror movies?

My wife thought it was going to be like Sharknado, I wish it had of been.
And the drain from a lake tied directly to this houses crawlspace was an incredibly stupid explanation of how all the alligators were getting in. I don't know how things work in other countries, maybe that's how they do it in Serbia

I thought it would be Sharknado-like as well.

And I agree with you about your spoiler. That explanation was a little silly.

Heather19
10-30-2019, 05:17 PM
I was talking about Christmas Horror movies, but there are tons of regular Christmas movies I love to watch all year, plus there is the Hallmark channel which has already started showing their holiday movies :D

Ricky
10-30-2019, 06:51 PM
I was thinking of you watching those Hallmark Christmas movies when you posted earlier! My mom's already watching them. :lol:

What Christmas horror are you looking at so far? The only one I have on my radar is the re-make of Black Christmas coming out.

Heather19
10-31-2019, 04:34 AM
I want to see the new Black Christmas and rewatch the original one. I also love to rewatch Krampus every year. I also have Silent Night Deadly Nighy on my list for this year. And maybe I'll finally break down and buy Inside.

And at least I have my limits. I have to wait until after Halloween before I start watching my Hallmark Christmas movies :rofl:

Girlystevedave
10-31-2019, 07:49 AM
I was talking about Christmas Horror movies, but there are tons of regular Christmas movies I love to watch all year, plus there is the Hallmark channel which has already started showing their holiday movies :D

Hallmark KILLS me with their Christmas stuff. It starts earlier and earlier every year. "Oh, summer is over? Time to start the Christmas movies." :lol:

And you guys are gonna have to direct me to some good Christmas horror movies. Krampus is the only one I've seen. :o

Ricky
10-31-2019, 05:42 PM
I want to see the new Black Christmas and rewatch the original one. I also love to rewatch Krampus every year. I also have Silent Night Deadly Nighy on my list for this year. And maybe I'll finally break down and buy Inside.

I wasn't a big fan of the original Black Christmas, but the re-make looks intriguing so I'll probably see it. And I also like to do Krampus every year. I watched a good one last year called Red Christmas with Dee Wallace. I'd recommend it for sure. It was really well done.

And I just looked up the synopsis for Silent Night, Deadly Night ("An orphan raised by nuns grows up to be a killer toy-store Santa Claus") and I officially need to see it now. :lol:

Hallmark KILLS me with their Christmas stuff. It starts earlier and earlier every year. "Oh, summer is over? Time to start the Christmas movies." :lol:

And you guys are gonna have to direct me to some good Christmas horror movies. Krampus is the only one I've seen. :o

You might like Better Watch Out. I enjoyed it, but it has a reveal halfway through that totally changes the movie that I personally didn't care for.

Heather19
11-01-2019, 04:23 AM
I'll have to add both of those to my Christmas horror list. I haven't seen either of them.

Last night we opted to stay in. Watched Halloween and then I watched episode 6 of Haunting of Hill House. Man that episode was insanely creepy and the best yet. It's the one that's filmed primarily in the funeral parlor as the family reunites.

Ricky
11-01-2019, 01:32 PM
Is that the one with the Bent-Neck Lady? If so, that's definitely one of my favorites.

kingfan2323
11-01-2019, 05:25 PM
Watching Incident in a Ghostland tonight. Any good?

looking for: The Terror S/L,
Dead Zone 1st/1st F or NF, Boy's Life S/L

Heather19
11-02-2019, 06:56 AM
Is that the one with the Bent-Neck Lady? If so, that's definitely one of my favorites.

Nope, that was the one before. This one was filmed all in the funeral parlour and went between that and their house one night during a storm and creepy stuff happens.

Ricky
11-02-2019, 12:54 PM
Oh, okay. It sounds familiar now.

On the TV front, I still haven't gone back to Sabrina since I watched the first two episodes. It's just not calling me to continue. And I'm not enjoying this season of The Purge nearly as much as I did last season.

I might watch the new Pet Sematary, Eli, or Happy Death Day 2 U tonight to keep the Halloweening going. :)

mattgreenbean
11-03-2019, 10:32 AM
* = 1st time watch
$ = bad
$$ = good
$$$ = awesome
Oct 27 Crawl 2019 * $
Oct 29 Hell House, Llc 2015 $$$$ (that's right, 4)

I didn't actually have a chance to watch anything on Halloween.
Nov 1 Killer Klowns From Outerspace 1988 $$

Non horror
Oct 30 The Art of Self-Defense 2019 * $$$
Nov 2 Spiderman Far From Home 2019 * $