PDA

View Full Version : Joe Hill, Author

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

jhanic
09-28-2009, 04:45 AM
I agree with Bob. I guess I'm just not on the Joe Hill bandwagon yet (if ever). I've read both HSB and 20th Century Ghosts and, while they were okay, I just wasn't THAT impressed.

John

Nerak
09-28-2009, 04:59 AM
I haven't exactly been paying attention to his signature. I also haven't gotten much in the way of his for awhile.

I am a fan, and I take it as a kick in the pants to me that I can't obtain some of the things that he's had published as they ARE only available to the "speculators".

I enjoy reading him. I liked 20CG and HSB. I didn't like Thumbprint all that much. I haven't read Gunpowder yet, but that's only cause I am reading four other books right now and can't possible even think of picking up even the novella! LOL

But I do agree with you gentlemen, I think a lot of the buyers are not fans, but coattailers looking to make a buck off of Daddy's Boy!

Rahfa
09-28-2009, 06:36 AM
One thing worth pointing out is that the quantities of books in each of these S/Ls is much lower than what you tend to see with his dad's books.

That's a good point...there are quite a few s/l editons, but not that many top out at over 250 copies. So I'm sure there are least half that number of true fans vs. speculators.

That's the challenge if you're the publisher - if you price it too low, then you don't make the money on the onsale, and you watch fans/speculators alike sell and resell your books....or you price it really high and it's only the moneybags superfans who get to buy a copy.

The publisher makes more money in the short-term, but I'm not sure it does anything for the longterm health of the fan-base.

So there's just enough interest to maintain decent sales of expensive books for right now, but are there really new fans being brought in? Like Karen said, she can't afford some of the s/l's, and if you can't be a completist, then some might ask themselves "why start at all."

Ari_Racing
09-28-2009, 06:42 AM
I am a fan, and I take it as a kick in the pants to me that I can't obtain some of the things that he's had published as they ARE only available to the "speculators".

Join the club, but about Stephen King. Or you think that more or less half of the people that ordered the S/L of Under the Dome purchased it to put it for sale on ebay the same day they receive it.

But well...world works that way.

Rahfa
09-28-2009, 06:45 AM

Join the club, but about Stephen King. Or you think that more or less half of the people that ordered the S/L of Under the Dome purchased it to put it for sale on ebay the same day they receive it.

But well...world works that way.

Yeah, but UTD was affordable...S+S could have charged quite a bit more if they wanted, but it was at a decent price...there are always going to be people buying to resell, but as long as the issue price is reasonable, at least everyone has a chance.

Patrick
09-28-2009, 08:45 AM
That's the challenge if you're the publisher - if you price it too low, then you don't make the money on the onsale, and you watch fans/speculators alike sell and resell your books...That has to be absolutely maddening to the small print publishers. Invest all the work, time and risk, watch speculators make a far greater profit margins in a fraction of the time.

...So there's just enough interest to maintain decent sales of expensive books for right now, but are there really new fans being brought in? Like Karen said, she can't afford some of the s/l's, and if you can't be a completist, then some might ask themselves "why start at all."
Well, not everyone expects to be a completist. Some just want to own a nice S/L or two by beloved authors, some want to come close to completion but don't expect to ever own everything. (I'm in the second camp.)

...there are always going to be people buying to resell, but as long as the issue price is reasonable, at least everyone has a chance.Technically true. However a lot of speculators are more dialed in to the collectibles scene and buy up much of the supply, whereas many interested fans may get the word slightly delayed.

I'd be happy with more limited editions taking days, or even a week or two, to sell out to fans rather than mere hours because of those who hope to turn a quick profit.

Dolan
09-28-2009, 10:19 AM
I just received my copy of the IDW The First Decade.

What a beautiful presentation for a book at $50! Jeez. I was very impressed with the quality. Well done.

Patrick
09-28-2009, 11:25 AM

What a beautiful presentation for a book at $50! Jeez. I was very impressed with the quality. Well done.

And in regards to the ongoing discussion about Hill's fame and demand, when was the last time you saw an official (i.e. original signature on a limitation page) Stephen King package approaching that level of quality and low price?

Dolan
09-28-2009, 01:37 PM

And in regards to the ongoing discussion about Hill's fame and demand, when was the last time you saw an official (i.e. original signature on a limitation page) Stephen King package approaching that level of quality and low price?

You're right Patrick.

Anyone who is interested in Hill, comics or high quality books should spend the $50 and get the book. It is beautiful. Patrick's pictures (any pictures, really) don't do this justice.

If this book was published by Centipede Press or even Cemetery Dance it would top $300-$400. Patrick, would you disagree?

Randall Flagg
09-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Also Joe Hill's signature is especially easy to fake, and that motivates people to buy his S/Ls rather than flatsigned editions.
I'ts too bad Joe doesn't sign his books with his "real" signature. It would be much tougher to fake. But certainly the S/L books will be an authentic signature.

Patrick
09-28-2009, 01:57 PM

You're right Patrick.

Anyone who is interested in Hill, comics or high quality books should spend the $50 and get the book. It is beautiful. Patrick's pictures (any pictures, really) don't do this justice.

If this book was published by Centipede Press or even Cemetery Dance it would top $300-$400. Patrick, would you disagree?
I agree. I can't believe they're selling this for under $200 at a bare minimum.

- - -

Methinks Jerome has seen Joe's personal sig rather than just his official author sig. :orely:

F1racefan
09-28-2009, 01:59 PM
Has anyone heard when the S/L Horns will be available?

Randall Flagg
09-28-2009, 02:04 PM
Methinks Jerome has seen Joe's personal sig rather than just his official author sig. :orely:
:ninja:

Dolan
09-28-2009, 06:18 PM
:ninja:

I'd love to see that... :excited:

Pasiuk57
09-30-2009, 03:57 AM
I agree with DOlan. Just got my copy of IDW The FIrst Decade-WHAT A BOOK!
Very Large and signed-this would normally go for a lot more than $50!!!

gsvec
09-30-2009, 05:29 AM
I'll throw my hat into the ring about the IDW limited - it's lovely! Question to the group, though: Do you think the limitation pages are actually individually signed or are they simply another page generated from an original?

Room 217 Caretaker
09-30-2009, 05:53 AM
I'll throw my hat into the ring about the IDW limited - it's lovely! Question to the group, though: Do you think the limitation pages are actually individually signed or are they simply another page generated from an original?

Signed. Not a photocopy inserted.

Before you unwrap the book the insert under the shrink clearly says "signed tipped in sheet"

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

DavidK44
09-30-2009, 06:34 AM
I'm sure some of you also got this, but figured I'd post just in case some didn't:

Cemetery Dance is doing another 'Book Club' - they're selling a subscription service for a dozen books over the next year (or however long it takes to produce them, I guess). One of the books will be an anthology with Joe Hill, Ray Garton, Peter Straub, and one other author. CD is only going to print as many copies of the anthology as they receive Book Club orders, and promise not to reprint the book ever again. It's not clear from their description if these are new stories from these authors, or reprints.

Here's an excerpt from the email:

-----------------
Here's how the Cemetery Dance Book Club 3.0 works:

• We'll only be selling memberships for the next two weeks — when they're gone, they're gone!

• As a member of the new Cemetery Dance Book Club, you'll automatically receive each signed Limited Edition hardcover book that we select for the membership

• These signed Limited Editions will ship to you as they are published. This is not a "book of the month" club, and there may be periods where a new selection isn't available, but there WILL be months where we have more than one book ready and they will SHIP TOGETHER to save you on shipping!

• One of your monthly selections will be a Not For Sale Limited Edition that is NOT available to non-members and will NEVER see print in another version... ever!

For this special edition, there will ONLY be enough signed & numbered Limited Edition copies printed for the membership of the book club. No dealers, no direct sales, no distributors. And like our past Not For Sale books have shown, these Not For Sale books can end up being worth a lot on the secondary market -- especially when you consider this particular book will NEVER BE REPRINTED! WE HAVE NEVER PROMISED THAT BEFORE and we may never again because it's very hard to secure the rights to a book forever, but we found a way for this ONE project!

• This special NOT FOR SALE signed Limited Edition will be a special anthology called Four Ghosts, which will feature some our favorite authors: Peter Straub, Joe Hill, Ray Garton, and a special surprise guest!

Best of all, the print run of this signed Limited Edition will be NO larger than the membership of the Book Club. So if just 100 readers sign-up for the Book Club, that's the print run for the Not For Sale book! This could easily have the lowest print runs of anything we've ever published in our twenty-one years of business, and when that print run is set, that's it! No more copies will ever be printed of this very special book!
• But remember, Four Ghosts is just ONE of the signed Limited Editions you'll get with your membership! There are still 11 other great books to collect!

• At least 9 of the 12 selections will be new to Cemetery Dance and we haven't even announced most of the secret titles we're currently working on for next year — that means you won't be getting many duplicates of Cemetery Dance books you already have in your collection today.

• NONE of the books for the previous Book Clubs will be used, so even if you were a member before, you can get brand new books from this special offer!

• We'll be using a very nice mix of our brand new releases — we have UNANNOUNCED projects lined up with authors such as Stephen King, Peter Straub, Chet Williamson, John Skipp, Norman Partridge, John Farris, Ray Garton, Tim Lebbon, Douglas Clegg, Simon Clark, Thomas Tessier, Rick Hautala, Glen Hirshberg, Kealan Patrick Burke, James Newman, Edward Lee, William Peter Blatty, and dozens of others so we'll have a lot to choose from — plus a couple of great releases from this year you might have missed. We have over 14 books at the printer right now, with another dozen ready to go as they get caught up, and then another dozen after that!

• The combined value of everything you receive in this special offer will be somewhere between $450 to $650... but we're selling these memberships for just $149 plus shipping!
---------------

Link for the ordering page: http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/_bc03

Regards, DavidK

Randall Flagg
09-30-2009, 06:45 AM
I am not biting on stuff from CD.

carlosdetweiller
09-30-2009, 06:47 AM
Wow, what a great deal. Who could pass that up?

DavidK44, do you work for CD?

e_taylor
09-30-2009, 07:02 AM
The 2007 Book Club is still one book behind, and the 2008 Book Club is missing three books still.

And the "exclusive" book isn't exclusive. Read the fine print. There will be a lettered edition, the rights to the stories revert to the authors to be reprinted, and the only gaurentee is that it won't be reprinted under that title.

DavidK44
09-30-2009, 07:29 AM
Wow, what a great deal. Who could pass that up?

DavidK44, do you work for CD?

:wtf: Nope. Just passing on information for those interested.

Actually, I haven't purchased much from CD over the last few years. As the lead times for their books have increased, my purchases have decreased. I'm still waiting on a few books from years gone by, and I'm not inclined to send more money down that same hole. For those few CD books I want, I've begun to pre-order them from a bookstore, who only charges me when the book is in hand.

I was moderately tempted by the offer when it arrived in my inbox yesterday, but I don't think I'm going to bother.

Regards, DavidK

Nerak
09-30-2009, 07:40 AM

ME TOO!!! :P:P

nyy3723a
09-30-2009, 08:06 AM
the 2008 Book Club is missing three books still.

2 actually

carlosdetweiller
09-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Actually, I haven't purchased much from CD over the last few years.

I think you are a very wise man.

e_taylor
09-30-2009, 01:42 PM

2 actually

Isn't 2, plus the "exclusive" Edward Lee?

Patrick
09-30-2009, 02:29 PM
I won't be signing up for any Cemetery Dance book club, probably ever.

nyy3723a
09-30-2009, 03:49 PM

2 actually

Isn't 2, plus the "exclusive" Edward Lee?

Nope. It's the Lee and 1 other.

Randall Flagg
10-01-2009, 06:08 AM

ME TOO!!! :P:P
The signature I saw was signed "Joseph King".

Rahfa
10-01-2009, 07:25 AM
Ah hah....veeerrrry interesting...in a signed book, or another setting?

Cutter
10-01-2009, 09:59 AM
I received the key, who hoo! Not a bad little item for $20

Patrick
10-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Calling all Joe Hill fans! Do you read Locke & Key? Want to read the beginning of Joe's new novel, HORNS, a month early? Check this out:

We're approving to print issue 1 of LOCKE & KEY: CROWN OF SHADOWS, the first chapter of the third installment of the acclaimed series. So it's officially coming, in early November.

As an added bonus in issue 3, we're going to be running an advance look at Joe Hill's new novel, HORNS, due in February. We're going to give a nice preview of the novel, running the first three chapters in the back of the issue.

Link (http://ryalltime.blogspot.com/2009/09/crown-of-horns.html)

:excited:

gsvec
10-01-2009, 09:38 PM
:thumbsup:

Room 217 Caretaker
10-02-2009, 04:00 AM
Thanks for the link Patrick

I'm in

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Nerak
10-02-2009, 05:26 AM
I have been buying them, but not reading them. Thanks for that Patrick!

nyy3723a
10-02-2009, 06:44 AM
Wow, Nice! I can't wait.

Dolan
10-02-2009, 10:43 AM
I got my key today and there was a little drawing on it from JH... how common are the doodles?

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr205/nykennyny/joehillkey.jpg

Roomtemp
10-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Wow,

You lucky devil. I got one too but no drawing.!

I might have to order another...

Congrats

Dolan
10-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Thanks! I like that the key forms the letters LK at the end... for Locke & Key! hehe

I wonder how many he did like that...

gsvec
10-02-2009, 03:14 PM
My keys just say "Best, Joe Hill '09". Great doodle - I'm jealous!!

DavidK44
10-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Mine just has 'Best, Joe Hill '09' also.

I received #299. Unless he went out of order in the ones that were taken to San Diego for the Con, there's at least two hundred available through IDW. Anyone get a lower number?

Regards, DavidK

Patrick
10-02-2009, 10:47 PM
On the matter of L&K: CoS, if Issue #1 comes out in November, then Issue #3, the one with the first three chapters of HORNS, should be released in January - a month ahead of the February release of the full novel.

I received #299. Unless he went out of order in the ones that were taken to San Diego for the Con, there's at least two hundred available through IDW. Anyone get a lower number?

Regards, DavidK
#297 (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?p=443289#post443289). :P

(Also #327.)

Dolan, cool LK key doodle! That's the first one I've seen.

frik
10-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Calling all Joe Hill fans! Do you read Locke & Key?

Well, I'm not a Joe Hill fan - yet.
But today I ordered, through Amazon, the first two Locke & Key hardcover collections.
I have no idea if this spur-of-the-moment buy is going to turn me into a JH-reader.

Will it??? :orely:

sk

Randall Flagg
10-03-2009, 09:50 AM
I have no idea if this spur-of-the-moment buy is going to turn me into a JH-reader.

sk
Probably.:P

F1racefan
10-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Calling all Joe Hill fans! Do you read Locke & Key?

Well, I'm not a Joe Hill fan - yet.
But today I ordered, through Amazon, the first two Locke & Key hardcover collections.

sk

It did for me!:thumbsup:

frik
10-03-2009, 11:40 AM

sk
Probably.:P

:lol:

Dolan
10-03-2009, 03:52 PM

Regards, DavidK

304 here!

jcf817
10-03-2009, 07:00 PM
any thoughts on how to display the key?

DavidK44
10-03-2009, 08:32 PM
any thoughts on how to display the key?

Here's how the original designer displays it:

http://www.skeltoncrewstudio.com/locke.html

Very distinguished looking....

Regards, DavidK

Patrick
10-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Yes, that shadowbox is pretty nice. Also, in IDW: THE FIRST DECADE there is a photo of the key in a small coffin.

My theory is that that was the prototype packaging for the signed numbered keys, but that it proved to be too much of a pain, so they switched to the bags.

willie3
10-04-2009, 06:02 AM

Regards, DavidK

304 here!

I received 224 & 388

Karl

Randall Flagg
10-04-2009, 06:14 AM
Yes, that shadowbox is pretty nice. Also, in IDW: THE FIRST DECADE there is a photo of the key in a small coffin.

A google search of Miniature Coffins (http://www.stampington.com/html/wood_boxes.html) yields plenty of results.
Displaying in a coffin would likely be cheaper than the framed display (although the framed one is georgeous).
http://www.stampington.com/assets/images/products19/5HCCOFFIN_3_xlg.jpg

DavidK44
10-04-2009, 07:09 AM
The News section of the Skelton Crew website shows a picture of two more prototype keys - the Head Key and the Anywhere Key. Joe mentioned somewhere on his blog that they were planning to do more of them. I'm holding off making any display for this key on the hope that they will release more of them. I'd prefer having them all in one display.

Dolan
10-04-2009, 07:15 AM
NO! See - Joe here is the problem. Stop farting around with keys and write more! ><

Dolan
10-04-2009, 03:26 PM
so wait can we check out this signature Randall, or just dangle it before us??? :cyclops:

Randall Flagg
10-04-2009, 03:33 PM
I saw the signature, but can't show the signature.

Dolan
10-04-2009, 04:26 PM
I saw the signature, but can't show the signature.

Ahhh i thought you HAD something signed that way. Gotcha

Patrick
10-04-2009, 07:15 PM
The News section of the Skelton Crew website shows a picture of two more prototype keys - the Head Key and the Anywhere Key. Joe mentioned somewhere on his blog that they were planning to do more of them. I'm holding off making any display for this key on the hope that they will release more of them. I'd prefer having them all in one display.
I like this idea!

NO! See - Joe here is the problem. Stop farting around with keys and write more! ><
:lol: I would think you're safe on this. Gabriel Rodriquez draws them for the comic, then the other company makes them based on the pictures.

Gris
10-05-2009, 04:41 AM
as far as collectibles go, don't forget the HSB quija board...

http://allgris.dns4me.com:8085/books/Images%5Cheartshapedbox_prop1.jpg
http://allgris.dns4me.com:8085/books/Images%5Cheartshapedbox_prop2.jpg

Brice
10-05-2009, 04:54 AM
:drool: It is the only one I've seen.

Cutter
10-05-2009, 11:59 AM
I got #366 (received last week), and no doodle

Patrick
10-05-2009, 04:02 PM
I don't think I've ever seen that HSB Ouija Board keychain either!

biomieg
10-06-2009, 01:58 AM
The first one I've seen: Joe Hill - Horns ARC (http://cgi.ebay.com/Horns-by-Joe-Hill-ARC-02-10_W0QQitemZ170390819100QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fict ion_Books?hash=item27ac15911c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

Clacke
10-06-2009, 04:21 AM
Some info in the latest PS Publishing newsletter about when the limited editions of Horns will be available for pre order:

We'll show you some progress as soon as we're able - meanwhile, please note that the order page for Horns will go live on Sunday 11 October 2009 at 6 pm UK time. Remember - there'll be two states: slipcased, signed by Joe, containing four interior colour plates, plus a deleted chapter, priced at £65 until the end of the year when it'll go to £75; traycased, signed by Joe and Vinny Chong, containing five interior plates, the deleted chapter plus a little extra something from Joe, priced at £175 until the end of the year when it'll go to £200.

Nerak
10-06-2009, 05:30 AM
OH Craig.....LOL

And I have seen the ouija board before, but never got one. :(

Gris
10-06-2009, 06:21 AM
I just asked his publicist about the ARC. She said that if someone has an ARC, they got it directly from Joe. Only one box of ARCs has left the warehouse and was sent directly to Joe for preview.

Nerak
10-06-2009, 06:42 AM
Interesting, I wonder if he knows his "people" are selling them.

Gonna have to email him....

Nerak
10-06-2009, 06:59 AM
Joe posted this on Twitter on October 3rd..."joe_hill We did set loose 300 copies of the new novel, HORNS, into the wild though, and it didn't even bite anyone. Yet."

Craig, you may want to check your source again....

Roomtemp
10-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Anyone See these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Joe-Hill-HORNS-ARC-SIGNED_W0QQitemZ170391390130QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_ Fiction_Books?hash=item27ac1e47b2

They only lasted for a few minutes and I would of maybe bought one.... But someone hacked my ebay account last night so I was locked out. Seems pretty quick to have signed arcs out there tho..

Roomtemp
10-06-2009, 08:47 AM
But If they are real.... Im gonna be extra peeved at the german hacker who poached my account!!

Dolan
10-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Unless i catch one for cheap, I need to save my pennies for the 2 SL of Horns. That, right now, is more important to me than the proof. Right now there is a proof on ebay for HSB that can't sell for $27. I'm gonna have to sit this one out, sadly.

Gris
10-06-2009, 11:08 AM
I confirmed with his editor, AND publicist now. The only ARCS that went out went to him for use at a recent book convention. Meaning these arcs came from his hands directly.

Nerak
10-06-2009, 11:11 AM
If they came from his hands...where's mine :orely: Gonna have to yell at him! LOL

Roomtemp
10-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Oh Damn you German hacker...

Missed out!

Nerak
10-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Joe Tweeting again "yes, there'll be 3 more Gunpowder novellas. But the second one is on the backburner while I clear a couple other projects."

SWEET!! :rock: Course, I should probably read the first one.

willie3
10-06-2009, 02:29 PM
The first one I've seen: Joe Hill - Horns ARC (http://cgi.ebay.com/Horns-by-Joe-Hill-ARC-02-10_W0QQitemZ170390819100QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fict ion_Books?hash=item27ac15911c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

I was the first bidder on that one,
I missed the two signed copies
:angry:

e_taylor
10-09-2009, 12:39 PM
https://www.horror-mall.com/HORNS-by-Joe-Hill-signed-limited-slipcase-edition-p-19646.html

https://www.horror-mall.com/HORNS-by-Joe-Hill-signed-limited-traycase-edition-p-19647.html

jhanic
10-09-2009, 12:42 PM
I see both of those are offered by Roy Robbins of Bad Moon Books. He's one of the good guys.

John

e_taylor
10-09-2009, 01:46 PM
I see both of those are offered by Roy Robbins of Bad Moon Books. He's one of the good guys.

John

You bet - he's taking over the main bookstore at Horror Mall!

Rahfa
10-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Joe Hill Stalker Alert!

He was waiting in line in front of me at the Dennis Lehane signing in NH yesterday...he and Dennis traded gossip from the book tour circuit...he had the same yellow sticker on his book that everybody had with his name, for personalization, which said "Joe."

Lehane said, "you look just like your father!"

NeedfulKings
10-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Very cool. :)

Patrick
10-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Yes, very cool, Rahfa! Did you talk with Joe as well?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
10-10-2009, 01:40 AM

That was a bit below the belt. :)

shnnrc01
10-10-2009, 05:41 AM
regarding the 2 s/l editions of horns. dave at the overlook is offering them for $199 and $495 each. when you consider horror mall has them for $130 and $330, that is some price difference. easy to figure out here which one is the good guy and which one is most certainly not. i got an email from dave last week wondering why i hadnt visited the store in a while and why i hadnt ordered anything in a long time.jeez dave,beats the shit out of me-i just cant figure it!!

Rahfa
10-10-2009, 06:50 AM
Yes, very cool, Rahfa! Did you talk with Joe as well?

Nah, I was just creepily eavesdropping...haha...actually, couldn't really help it, since he was right in front of me. Would have taken more effort NOT to hear.

gsvec
10-10-2009, 06:50 AM
And then there's this email I got from PS Publishing . . .

Prepare to pre-order Joe Hill's Horns on October 11th!

We've got lots more goodies coming up but we'll fill you in on these as we move along. Dirk Berger is hard at it on the artwork (wraparound cover plus three full colour interiors) for Steve Erikson's Crack'd Pot Trail (which is available for pre-order right now, by the way) while Vinny Chong is chained to his desk working on Joe Hill's Horns (two wraparound covers and five interiors).

We'll show you some progress as soon as we're able - meanwhile, please note that the order page for Horns will go live on Sunday 11 October 2009 at 6 pm UK time. Remember - there'll be two states: slipcased, signed by Joe, containing four interior colour plates, plus a deleted chapter, priced at £65 until the end of the year when it'll go to £75; traycased, signed by Joe and Vinny Chong, containing five interior plates, the deleted chapter plus a little extra something from Joe, priced at £175 until the end of the year when it'll go to £200.

DavidK44
10-10-2009, 08:22 AM
And then there's this email I got from Subterranean Press . . .

Prepare to pre-order Joe Hill's Horns on October 11th!

We've got lots more goodies coming up but we'll fill you in on these as we move along. Dirk Berger is hard at it on the artwork (wraparound cover plus three full colour interiors) for Steve Erikson's Crack'd Pot Trail (which is available for pre-order right now, by the way) while Vinny Chong is chained to his desk working on Joe Hill's Horns (two wraparound covers and five interiors).

I suspect you mean PS Publishing...

http://store.pspublishing.co.uk/

gsvec
10-10-2009, 08:28 AM
Oops! Thanks, David - DUH ME! I fixed the original! :D

Nerak
10-10-2009, 10:47 AM

That was a bit below the belt. :)

But it's true

Pasiuk57
10-11-2009, 09:04 AM
I just ordered the limited and traycased editions. Easy from PS Publishing....

Patrick
10-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Traycased edition ordered!

Your Shopping Basket (Prices in British Pounds)
TITLE / ITEM QTY PRICE COST
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Horns [tc] 1 GBP175.00 [USD280.00] GBP175.00 [USD280.00]
================================================== ==================
Subtotal: GBP175.00 [USD280.00]
Total: GBP175.00 [USD280.00]

Randall Flagg
10-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Unfortunately I am passing on this one.:cry:

Patrick
10-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Unfortunately I am passing on this one.:cry:
Really? Not even getting the signed slipcased edition for $104 including overseas shipping?

Roomtemp
10-11-2009, 09:13 AM
I got a Traycased too..

Now waiting for my arc to arrive.

Dolan
10-11-2009, 09:32 AM
I also ordered the traycase and confirmed my slipcase through Camelot

NeedfulKings
10-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Ordered the slipcased edition for $104.

Dr. Dawg
10-11-2009, 10:19 AM
I ordered the slipcased. Was tempted by the traycase, but I've been spending way to much lately... especially after just ordering Under the Dome.

Rahfa
10-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Meh...I'll wait on a local signing and get a trade edition.

But...if I was a bigger Hill fan, I'd jump on it...that's a good price for a legit s/l.

wizardsrainbow
10-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Ordered the traycased version.

Nerak
10-12-2009, 05:30 AM
I wish I had the money :( Le Sigh

Rahfa
10-12-2009, 06:43 AM
Well, you saved the money from the Sox - look at it that way...

Nerak
10-12-2009, 07:18 AM
That's true, stupid Sox! LOL Would have still loved to have gone to a game!

Anywho...I may have an in to get a limited..gotta love friends in the book business!

texgunslinger
10-15-2009, 12:38 PM
The Horns order page is up over at PS Publishing.

Probably old news by now, but I didn't see any posts up yet.

Patrick
10-17-2009, 05:21 PM
I obtained these recently. These slipcased sets are limited to 100 each (not numbered) and are San Diego Comic Con exclusives (the slipcases not the comic books).

These are the sets from the 2008 SDCC and the 2009 SDCC:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books/Hill-LKSDCC0809.jpg

Also I picked up the iPhone skin, also a 2009 SDCC exclusive, from Joe Hill's GUNPOWDER created by artist Vincent Chong.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books/Hill-LKSDCC09-5.jpg

Roomtemp
10-19-2009, 05:29 PM
http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx216/roomtemp/P1250918.jpg

This was waiting when I got home today...

Really looking forward to this...

Congrats on those Patrick... Ive seen before on Ebay but never gotten em.

Patrick
10-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks, Roomtemp, they were the first I'd seen so I had to look into it to verify that they were what they said they were.

Congrats on that HORNS ARC. I'm jealous!

Gris
10-20-2009, 07:15 AM
just curious, is that ARC missing the first 12 pages?

Roomtemp
10-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Thanks Patrick.

And Craig to answer your question all the pages are there. Copyright and marketing plan also.

willie3
10-20-2009, 03:55 PM
just curious, is that ARC missing the first 12 pages?

This is the ARC I won,

http://cgi.ebay.com/SIGNED-INSCRIBED-DRAWING-Joe-Hill-HORNS-ARC-Proof_W0QQitemZ260489320141QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAnti quarian_Collectible?hash=item3ca65f96cd

(The "Go To Hell" inscription got me)

All pages seem to present and accounted for.

Roomtemp
10-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Congrats on that one!

I was watching it on Ebay but it creeped out of my range.

willie3
10-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Thanks !!

Yes, it was more than I was hoping to spend, but I couldn't resist the quote and the Devil's Head doodle/sketch/remarque.

Just finished Under The Dome and The Lost Symbol this weekend, starting Horns tonight.

sgc1999
10-22-2009, 07:34 PM
hey,
If anyone can get me an arc proof of Horns i would be willing to buy or trade a fair price for it. I have a lot of signed books and comics from Joe. I met him last year in NH and he signed my whole collection. I really wanna read horns now, plus i just would love to have an arc for my collection. If anyone knows where i can get one i would really appreciate it. Thanks,
Simon

Pasiuk57
10-23-2009, 03:35 AM
Simon
The Horn proof is appearing on Ebay now and then. I bought a copy there and there will be more I am sure.

Roomtemp
10-23-2009, 07:09 AM
Hi Simon,

I totally lucked out and found mine on ABE of all places. They Come and go quickly right now becouse its so early yet for the arcs. More and more will come to market as time goes on.So just be patient and keep looking....

DavidK44
10-23-2009, 08:30 AM
Most people probably already have copies, or have heard about this, but for those that don't and haven't....

Subterranean Press is running a special on the trade edition of the 'Locke & Key: Welcome to Lovecraft' book that they just released. This book differs from the regular version from IDW in that it also includes the script for the comics. While supplies last, they're throwing in a copy of the 'Thumbprint' chapbook when you purchase the Locke & Key book ($60).

willie3
10-23-2009, 11:54 AM
I obtained these recently.

Also I picked up the iPhone skin, also a 2009 SDCC exclusive, from Joe Hill's GUNPOWDER created by artist Vincent Chong.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books/Hill-LKSDCC09-5.jpg

Patrick, you and I were discussing the number of Gunpowder gelaskins produced.
Here is the answer I received today

Hi Karl!
I think it was just over a thousand. But don't quote me on that!
Kind Regards,
S. C.
GelaSkins Customer Service

More than I thought, for sure.

Karl

Beambounder
10-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Heart shaped Box is formidably frightening. I have a signed 20th century Ghosts. Have not read it yet =probably will buy an unsigned edition. I obtained a signed exeter edition of Locke and Key, he even drew a skull key in silver. Seems like a very kind talented young man. Best Wishes to Joe Hill:clap::clap::clap: and all THE KINGS.

sgc1999
10-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Thanks guys for the response. i will keep looking.
Simon

Patrick
10-23-2009, 11:16 PM
Welcome to TDT.com and Calvin's Corner, Simon and Beambounder. Please continue to join in any discussion.

Karl, thanks for the info. Good work! Given the alleged quantity produced, I'm surprised they aren't for sale on IDW's site.

willie3
10-25-2009, 06:24 AM
Finished reading Horns last night...WOW !!!

Great Book !! :clap:

My favorite Hill story, moving Gunpowder to second place.

Hope y'all enjoy it as much as I did.

Karl

F1racefan
10-25-2009, 06:50 AM
Finished reading Horns last night...WOW !!!

Great Book !! :clap:

My favorite Hill story, moving Gunpowder to second place.

Hope y'all enjoy it as much as I did.

Karl

Great to hear! Can't wait to get my copy to read.

Speaking of Gunpowder.....Does anyone know were I get one, and what is considered a reasonable price for each of the 3 HB states?

Greg

sgc1999
10-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Any chanc eyou wanna sell or trade something for your horns:excited:

willie3
10-27-2009, 11:44 AM
FYI

New interview with Joe Hill

http://www.tfaw.com/blog/2009/10/26/writer-joe-hill-talks-to-tfaw-com-about-locke-key-from-idw/?qt=ia_hp1_JH

Karl

sgc1999
10-28-2009, 02:05 PM
willie 3 feel like sellin that arc of horns? ill trade you a signed welcome to lovecraft HC. or something else if you would rather?:)

chrise
10-28-2009, 02:29 PM
Hey all,
I've been on the boards for a long time but this is the first time I've posted anything. I'm a big SK and JH fan and just saw the new art posted for the PS edition on their site:
http://store.pspublishing.co.uk/acatalog/horns_sc.html
Gotta love Vinny.

willie3
10-28-2009, 02:57 PM
willie 3 feel like sellin that arc of horns? ill trade you a signed welcome to lovecraft HC. or something else if you would rather?:)

Thank you for the offer, but I will have to pass.
This ARC is signed "Go To Hell' and has a Devil's Head drawn by Joe.

However, there is an ARC of Horns on eBay now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Joe-Hill-HORNS-Unsigned-ARC-PROOF_W0QQitemZ330372204795QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_F iction_Books?hash=item4cebb7c8fb

Good Luck !:thumbsup:

Karl

Patrick
10-28-2009, 10:42 PM
Welcome to TDT.com, chrise! Please jump into any discussion. More member privileges should become available after a few more posts.

Thanks for pointing out the new artwork. I love that cover.

Gris
11-18-2009, 07:40 AM
Curious...

For those of you that already have an ARC, 2 questions...

1) Does it say "Uncorrected Proof" or "Advanced Reader's Edition - Not For Sale" on the top of the cover.

2) Is the cover matte or shiny?

Nerak
11-18-2009, 09:00 AM
I wouldn't know :( HINT HINT! LOL

Tito_Villa
11-18-2009, 09:38 AM
I have an ARC arriving tomorrow, can't wait to read it!

Roomtemp
11-19-2009, 09:30 AM
My Arc says " Uncorrected Proof Not For Sale " in a little circle on the top. Its not matte or Glossy shiny. I guess its a satin shine.
Hope that helps....

willie3
12-19-2009, 07:18 AM
My Arc says " Uncorrected Proof Not For Sale " in a little circle on the top. Its not matte or Glossy shiny. I guess its a satin shine.

Recieved another copy yesterday that has a glossy 'metallic' looking cover.
Instead of the "Uncorrected Proof" circle at the top center of the cover,
it has "Advance Reader's Edition * Not For Sale" across the top.
It also has a picture of Joe Hill on the back (sans beard) with advance reviews of the book by Locus, NY Times, Washington Post, James Rollins, and Publishers Weekly.

Will try to post pics of both later this weekend.

Waiting for my UK proof...

Karl

Patrick
01-05-2010, 09:53 PM
Joe Hill has announced his book tour to promote HORNS.

2010 TOUR SCHEDULE:

February 16th (Tues) – PORTSMOUTH, NH • River Run Books. 7:00 PM.

February 17th (Wed) - MANCHESTER, NH • Barnes & Noble. 7:00 PM

February 18th (Thurs) – CONCORD, NH • Gibson’s Bookstore. 7:00 PM.

February 19th (Fri) – MILFORD, NH • Toadstool Bookshop. 6:30 PM.

February 21st (Sun) – SALEM, MA • Cornerstone Books. 3:00 PM.

February 22nd (Mon) – CAMBRIDGE, MA • Porter Square Books. 7:00 PM.

February 23rd (Tues) – SOUTH HADLEY, MA • Odyssey Bookshop. 7:00 PM.

February 24th (Wed) – NEW CANAAN, CT • New Canaan Library. 7:30 PM.

February 25th (Thurs) – NYC, NY • Barnes & Noble (82nd & Broadway). 7:00 PM.

February 26th (Fri) – HUNTINGTON, NY • Book Revue. 7:00 PM.

March 1st (Mon) – PITTSBURGH, PA • Joseph-Beth Booksellers. 7:00 PM. (with an inevitable unscheduled side trip to my personal mecca, the Monroeville Mall, where I’ll probably just wander around, you know, like all the other zombies)

March 2nd (Tues) – SEATTLE, WA • University Bookstore. 7:00 PM.

March 3rd (Wed) – PORTLAND, OR • Powell’s Books. 7:30 PM.

March 4th (Thurs) – SAN FRANCISCO, CA • Booksmith. 7:30 PM.

March 5th (Fri) – CORTE MADERA, CA • Book Passage. 7:00 PM.

March 8 (Mon) – EXETER, NH • Water Street Books. 7:00 PM.

March 9 (Tues) – SOUTH PORTLAND, ME • Borders. 7:00 PM.

March 10 (Wed) – BANGOR, ME • Borders. 6:00 PM.

Unlike his father, Joe will visit the West Coast - with two stops in Northern California no less!

Jerome, mark your calendar for March 4th and 5th!

MonteGss
01-05-2010, 11:02 PM
Also, unlike his father, Joe will not be visiting the midwest. :(

Nerak
01-06-2010, 06:02 AM
ooo, I think I will be going to at least four of those! Sawweetttttt!!!!!!

SkippyD023
01-06-2010, 06:26 AM
Nothing in the Midwest :cry::angry:

I will start putting my plea out there now to see if anyone would be willing to get a signed book for me. Maybe he will do something like he did for Locke & Key and allow us to place an order for a signed book thru one of his local bookstores.

dyetye
01-06-2010, 06:30 AM
Yeah, bummed about the midwest. But I think if you call River Run book store, you can get a signed copy through them, or so I've heard. I might have to try it as well...

Randall Flagg
01-06-2010, 06:39 AM

I plan on making at least one. Booksmith is in the Haight Ashbury area, 2 blocks from Magnolia Brewery (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/magnoliapub.com).

Book Passage is <2 miles from Marin Brewing/Moylans (http://www.marinbrewing.com/index2.php)
:panic:

Tito_Villa
01-06-2010, 06:54 AM
I'm soooooo jealous, would love to be able to go to one of those to meet the guy and get a book signed! :cry:

biomieg
01-06-2010, 07:41 AM
Got myself a cheap, signed copy of 20th Century Ghosts this week :)

http://www.neural-groove.nl/images/joehill/ghosts01.jpghttp://www.neural-groove.nl/images/joehill/ghosts02.jpg

And the hardcover of Gunpowder (no DJ, as issued) also came in today:

http://www.neural-groove.nl/images/joehill/gunpowder.jpg

... and while I'm at it, I might just as well post my Heart-Shaped Boxes (which I already owned):

http://www.neural-groove.nl/images/joehill/heart.jpg

Signed 2nd printing (SubPress, 1 of 400 copies)
US 1st/1st trade hardcover
US advance reader's copy
Uk 1st/1st trade paperback

Nerak
01-06-2010, 07:54 AM
The only one that I am missing is the Sub Press edition. :(

And Jerome! LOL about the distances from the pubs!

Cutter
01-06-2010, 08:07 AM
Sweet about the tour, Pittsburgh is about 3 hours away, but I'll make it!

jhanic
01-06-2010, 10:22 AM
:thumbsup:

John

herbertwest
01-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Still no "twentieth century..." in french...

The Library Policeman
01-06-2010, 11:00 AM

I plan on making at least one. Booksmith is in the Haight Ashbury area, 2 blocks from Magnolia Brewery (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/magnoliapub.com).

Book Passage is <2 miles from Marin Brewing/Moylans (http://www.marinbrewing.com/index2.php)

Jerome, if you and Patrick go and meet Joe, tell him from me that if he ever wants to do a UK signing tour then he's welcome to stay at my house, rent free, for the duration of the tour. :ninja:

I'm sure my wife won't mind :unsure:

Ari_Racing
01-06-2010, 11:33 AM
No Buenos Aires... :(

Resident Chris
01-06-2010, 11:58 AM
...and no Germany:(

Patrick
01-06-2010, 12:07 PM

Perfect! Now I know where we'll meet before each of the stops. Yes, both of them. :couple:

For the Europeans: Apparently a brief UK leg of Joe's book tour is in discussion, so stay tuned.

The Library Policeman
01-06-2010, 01:45 PM
For the Europeans: Apparently a brief UK leg of Joe's book tour is in discussion, so stay tuned.

:excited:

Tito_Villa
01-06-2010, 01:59 PM
I second that, really hope its true!!!

Nerak
01-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Still no "twentieth century..." in french...

When that happens, let me know, I would like to get a copy.

Patrick
01-09-2010, 06:24 PM
On his site, Joe addressed concerns from fans in areas that his book tour won't reach.

...there probably will be a Canada swing before I’m finished traveling for HORNS and I’ll be in Texas in 2011 as a Guest of Honor for the World Horror Convention (http://whc2011.org/). With a little luck, it won’t be three years between HORNS and the next book, so a visit to both the South and the Midwest are likely in the near future.

NeedfulKings
01-11-2010, 08:43 PM
We have 4 dates within 8 hours and I don't think we can make one.

Middle of the week, and work is getting in the way.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Patrick
01-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Ah, geez, Bill. You need get your priorities straight.

:couple:

Bev Vincent
01-12-2010, 03:24 AM
I started Horns last night -- it has a very jaunty, saucy tone. I look forward to seeing where he goes with this.

Nerak
01-12-2010, 08:41 AM
You are gonna like it Bev!

Dolan
01-13-2010, 08:50 AM
OMG a NYC date!!!!!!! and that one is close to my house!!!!!!! :wtf::wtf::wtf:

Gris
01-14-2010, 01:14 PM
How do you think I feel? I work in-house for his damned publisher and can't get to any of his signing tours.

I did have to go to NYC yesterday for a business meeting and was fortunate enough to meet his editor. Nice lady she is.

I didn't realize it but she is also the editor for:

Terry Pratchet
Neil Gaiman
Neal Stephenson
Issac Asimov (RIP)
Christopher Moore (If you never read any of his books, you should)
Al Sarrantonio
Ray Bradbury
Ben Bova
Dan Simmons
Raymond Feist
and a whole lot more.

Her office was like a shrine

gsvec
01-14-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm liking the "midwest" comment - would love it if he came somewhere close to here!

Cutter
01-15-2010, 06:12 AM
How do you think I feel? I work in-house for his damned publisher and can't get to any of his signing tours.

I did have to go to NYC yesterday for a business meeting and was fortunate enough to meet his editor. Nice lady she is.

Terry Pratchet
Neil Gaiman
Neal Stephenson
Issac Asimov (RIP)
Al Sarrantonio
Ray Bradbury
Ben Bova
Dan Simmons
Raymond Feist
and a whole lot more.

She sounds like Peter Schneider's wife

Nerak
01-15-2010, 06:20 AM

Terry Pratchet
Neil Gaiman
Neal Stephenson
Issac Asimov (RIP)
Al Sarrantonio
Ray Bradbury
Ben Bova
Dan Simmons
Raymond Feist
and a whole lot more.

She sounds busy!!! You get anything you want to share??? A pair of glowing horns? A keychain? A bookmark? A toothpick?? ANYTHING?!?!?!?!

Gris
01-15-2010, 06:21 AM
She sounds like Peter Schneider's wife

I don't know who that is

Randall Flagg
01-15-2010, 06:53 AM
He worked for Doubleday and was editor and Marketing Director for King's S/L The Stand.
He most recently was Editor (Owner?) at the now defunct Hill House publishing.

Patrick
01-16-2010, 12:03 AM
That's quite an impressive list of authors!

And now for those who cannot make it to any stops on Joe Hill's book tour, there is this from Joe's site:

You can call River Run Books and order a signed, doodled copy of HORNS before the book is out. You’ll have to pay for shipping. I’m willing to sign and personalize two books, and flat sign up to three others, per household; one of the personalized books has to be HORNS, though. Many of the other booksellers I’m visiting on the tour will also ship a signed book and will accept a credit card over the phone (Water Street Books, for example). Just call them and ask. And here are links to River Run (http://www.riverrunbookstore.com/) and Water Street (http://www.waterstreetbooks.com/) for their contact info.

Ricky
01-16-2010, 08:03 AM
Thanks alot Patrick!! Seeing as I can't go to the opposite side of the country for a signing, this is perfect! :excited:

jhanic
01-30-2010, 01:42 PM
The Signed Page is offering a pre-sale of signed copies of Horns for the retail price ($29.99), plus s/h:

http://www.signedpage.com/authors/hill-horns.html

herbertwest
02-02-2010, 12:01 PM
BTW, why is he using the Joe Hill nickname? I mean... Hill ?

Ari_Racing
02-02-2010, 12:07 PM
His second name is Hillstrom

herbertwest
02-02-2010, 12:15 PM
that makes sense now!

swintek
02-02-2010, 04:38 PM
I think the family has always used the shorter "Hill", though (e.g. The Shining Dedication: "This is for Joe Hill King, who shines on", published when Joe was a mere 5 years old). The moment I saw the Subterranean Press soliciation for an original novella from unknown writer named Joe Hill (Voluntary Committal) all those years ago- I immediately had my strong suspicions. As soon as I saw the author photo on the 20th Century Ghosts dj- it was all but confirmed.

Regardless of who his dad is- the guy is a stunning writer.

turtlex
02-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Hey Guys - Just got an email from VJ Books... they have Horns available for pre-order for about $30.00 signed.

Description : 2010 NY: HarperCollins First edition, first printing, mint, new/unread in a flawless dustjacket, signed by the author.

Joe Hill at VJ Books (http://www.vjbooks.com/Joe-Hill-s/628.htm)

Randall Flagg
02-02-2010, 04:50 PM
I think the family has always used the shorter "Hill", though (e.g. The Shining Dedication: "This is for Joe Hill King, who shines on", published when Joe was a mere 5 years old). The moment I saw the Subterranean Press soliciation for an original novella from unknown writer named Joe Hill (Voluntary Committal) all those years ago- I immediately had my strong suspicions. As soon as I saw the author photo on the 20th Century Ghosts dj- it was all but confirmed.

I think the 'family' called Joe "Joe", Naomi, "Naomi", and Owen "Owen.
Stephen King himself is called "Steve" amongst friends (I presume the 3 children call(ed) him some version of "Dad"
Wikipedia links
Joe Hill (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Hill_%28writer%29)
Stephen King (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_King)

Sam
02-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Hey Guys - Just got an email from VJ Books... they have Horns available for pre-order for about $30.00 signed.

Description : 2010 NY: HarperCollins First edition, first printing, mint, new/unread in a flawless dustjacket, signed by the author.

Joe Hill at VJ Books (http://www.vjbooks.com/Joe-Hill-s/628.htm)

Thanks for the link Pam.

Cutter
02-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Hey that link states Joe Hill was in Creepshow along with his dad.

I'm going to have to watch that again and see Joe when little. lol

herbertwest
02-03-2010, 12:35 PM
yep he is the kid before the sketches

Ricky
02-03-2010, 12:36 PM
I posted this in another thread, but am still in need of one:

If anyone has a 1st HSB for sale, please let me know.

swintek
02-03-2010, 12:41 PM

Stephen King himself is called "Steve" amongst friends (I presume the 3 children call(ed) him some version of "Dad"
Wikipedia links

Well, of course. It seems, however, that whenever Joe's MIDDLE NAME was mentioned it was shortened to "Hill", instead of Hillstrom.

Geoff, here is a link to an article with a screenshot of little Joe in Creepshow:

http://www.examiner.com/x-4121-Pop-Culture-News-Examiner~y2009m3d12-Joe-Hills-HeartShaped-Box

Hannah
02-03-2010, 12:51 PM
:arg: No one ever comes to Colorado.

Cutter
02-03-2010, 02:19 PM

Wikipedia links

Well, of course. It seems, however, that whenever Joe's MIDDLE NAME was mentioned it was shortened to "Hill", instead of Hillstrom.

Geoff, here is a link to an article with a screenshot of little Joe in Creepshow:

http://www.examiner.com/x-4121-Pop-Culture-News-Examiner~y2009m3d12-Joe-Hills-HeartShaped-Box

lol, now I remember, thanks!

Randall Flagg
02-03-2010, 05:16 PM

If all goes well I'll see Joe Hill at a reading in March. I'll ask him:
"What name did your parents commonly refer to you as?...Joe..Joey..Joe Hill.., Joe Hillstrom King....."
Presuming I am able to attend the event and ask questions, the response(s) will be posted here.:couple:

Screenshot of little Joe Hill:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1012/joehillcreepshow.jpg

swintek
02-03-2010, 07:56 PM

If all goes well I'll see Joe Hill at a reading in March. I'll ask him:
"What name did your parents commonly refer to you as?...Joe..Joey..Joe Hill.., Joe Hillstrom King....."
Presuming I am able to attend the event and ask questions, the response(s) will be posted here.:couple:

Screenshot of little Joe Hill:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1012/joehillcreepshow.jpg

Randall, I hope you get to go, but I also hope you use your brief time to ask him something better than that. Just to clarify: I was merely responding to Herbertwest's question of why he uses the Joe "Hill" moniker. When Ari posted that his middle name was "Hillstrom", I felt it should be pointed out that his middle name- whenever used by the family- was usually shortened to "Hill". Hence- Joe Hill (rather than Joe Hillstrom) as his pen name. Got it?

Ron

Bev Vincent
02-04-2010, 03:24 AM
Joe Hill was an executed labor leader -- that was the inspiration for his name. The original Joe Hill was also known as Joe Hillstrom (there's a Woody Guthrie song by that name) though his name was originally Joel Emmanuel Hδgglund.

> Swedish-born American songwriter and organizer for the Industrial Workers of the World (IWW); his execution for an alleged robbery-murder made him a martyr and folk hero in the radical American labour movement.

jcf817
02-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Perhaps I missed it, but is there a S/L edition of Horns from Gollancz? I love the cover design...it will complement HSB very well.

Room 217 Caretaker
02-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Perhaps I missed it, but is there a S/L edition of Horns from Gollancz? I love the cover design...it will complement HSB very well.

Gollancz didn't but PS Publishing did. Still available here:

http://store.pspublishing.co.uk/acatalog/horns_sc.html

Hope this helps

mulleins
Cumberland VA

Rahfa
02-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Still available at $120? That's not a bad price....but if it's still available, seems like another golden goose killed by the market's oversaturation...

wizardsrainbow
02-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Still available at $120? That's not a bad price....but if it's still available, seems like another golden goose killed by the market's oversaturation...

I am trying to see if I can order as a merchant and get a discount. If I can, I'd be willing to resell to anyone here at lower than PS offering price (depending, of course, if I can get a decent discount). Sent them an e-mail tonight.

Sir_Boomme
02-04-2010, 07:09 PM

I am trying to see if I can order as a merchant and get a discount. If I can, I'd be willing to resell to anyone here at lower than PS offering price (depending, of course, if I can get a decent discount). Sent them an e-mail tonight.

to late david.... I already ordered a slipcase and a traycase copy

now... if you can get the sk "One For the Road" for significantly cheaper... I might be interested in one of those... but PS is charging a bit to much for the HC which isn't signed by king. anyone here buying one of these?

Sam
02-04-2010, 08:14 PM
"One for the Road"? Oh no. Too much for me with little gain in it.

Nerak
02-05-2010, 07:48 AM
David, let me know what happens, I would be interested.

F1racefan
02-05-2010, 01:16 PM

I would be interested also. Let us know what they say.

Greg

wizardsrainbow
02-05-2010, 02:04 PM
No word all day from PS Publishing.

However, I did just buy a 10-count box of Joe Hill signed Horns (HC) to be issued Feb 16th. I have not decided how to price these yet.

Patrick
02-05-2010, 04:46 PM
I prepurchased the traycased edition (http://store.pspublishing.co.uk/acatalog/info_178.html) of HORNS from PS, but very kind of you to offer, David.

I have not bought either edition of PS's ONE FOR THE ROAD.

Heather19
02-05-2010, 05:41 PM
I can't believe I didn't check this thread sooner. He's coming right by me. :excited:

Ricky
02-05-2010, 05:49 PM
I can't believe I didn't check this thread sooner. He's coming right by me. :excited:

Lucky devil! :panic:

Room 217 Caretaker
02-10-2010, 03:26 AM
Joe Hill brings his Horns tour to the Uk:

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/displayDetailEvent.do?searchType=1&author=Joe|Hill

mulleins
Cumberland VA

Brice
02-10-2010, 07:29 AM
North Carolina is not in the UK. :cry:

Darkthoughts
02-10-2010, 08:28 AM
Oh bloody pants! Liverpool and Nottingham are far too far away, I'm going to petition for authors to visit my local Waterstones :D

Brice
02-10-2010, 08:37 AM
It is Joe hill and Liverpool isn't so far. Road trip! :D

Darkthoughts
02-10-2010, 08:44 AM
I don't drive :(

Nerak
02-10-2010, 08:54 AM
It is Joe hill and Liverpool isn't so far. Road trip! :D

woo hoo! I like road trips

Cloysterpete
02-10-2010, 10:25 AM

neither do I, went down to London (from North Yorkshire) on the bus when King came but i'm not a big enough Hill fan to endure another lengthy coach trip.

herbertwest
02-10-2010, 10:59 AM
I'd like him to come in Paris...
Twentieth century ghosts is gonne get published in France at the beginning of march...
How could i ask him that? I cant contact him through twitter... If anyone is actually in touch with him, if it's possible to mention it...

herbertwest
02-11-2010, 12:57 PM
The screenwriters of TRANSFORMERS have bought the rights of LOCKE & KEY

Rahfa
02-11-2010, 01:12 PM

That is not good news...

Hannah
02-11-2010, 01:34 PM

That is not good news...

It's bad, bad news.

Darkthoughts
02-11-2010, 02:16 PM
It certainly is!

neither do I, went down to London (from North Yorkshire) on the bus when King came but i'm not a big enough Hill fan to endure another lengthy coach trip.

Blimey Pete, that is hardcore!!

Well, I found an update on UK tour locations on Joe's site:

UPDATE – U.K. DATES BELOW

March 15 (Mon) – BASINGSTOKE • Waterstones. 7:00 PM.

March 16th (Tues) – MILTON KEYNES • Waterstones. 1 PM (Signing only).

March 16th (Tues) – BIRMINGHAM • Waterstones, 6 PM.

March 17th (Wed) – LIVERPOOL • Waterstones, 12:30 PM (Signing only).

March 17th (Wed) – MANCHESTER • Waterstones, 7 PM.

March 18th (Thurs) – LEEDS • Waterstones, 1 PM. (Signing only).

March 18th (Thurs) – NOTTINGHAM • Waterstones, 6:30 PM.

March 20 (Sat) – LONDON • Forbidden Planet (time TBD).

I guess Leeds could be do-able for you? For me Birmingham or Basingstoke are probably the closest, but still hours long train/coach journeys...I'll have to get on the case.

Randall Flagg
02-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Current information regarding Joe Hill’s “signing tour” for ‘Horns’.
To be merged into the Joe Hill thread post tour.

USA:
2010 TOUR SCHEDULE:

February 16th (Tues) – PORTSMOUTH, NH • River Run Books. 7:00 PM.

February 17th (Wed) - MANCHESTER, NH • Barnes & Noble. 7:00 PM

February 18th (Thurs) – CONCORD, NH • Gibson’s Bookstore. 7:00 PM.

February 19th (Fri) – MILFORD, NH • Toadstool Bookshop. 6:30 PM.

February 21st (Sun) – SALEM, MA • Cornerstone Books. 3:00 PM.

February 22nd (Mon) – CAMBRIDGE, MA • Porter Square Books. 7:00 PM.

February 23rd (Tues) – SOUTH HADLEY, MA • Odyssey Bookshop. 7:00 PM.

February 24th (Wed) – NEW CANAAN, CT • New Canaan Library. 7:30 PM.

February 25th (Thurs) – NYC, NY • Barnes & Noble (82nd & Broadway). 7:00 PM.

February 26th (Fri) – HUNTINGTON, NY • Book Revue. 7:00 PM.

March 1st (Mon) – PITTSBURGH, PA • Joseph-Beth Booksellers. 7:00 PM. (with an inevitable unscheduled side trip to my personal mecca, the Monroeville Mall, where I’ll probably just wander around, you know, like all the other zombies)

March 2nd (Tues) – SEATTLE, WA • University Bookstore. 7:00 PM.

March 3rd (Wed) – PORTLAND, OR • Powell’s Books. 7:30 PM.

March 8 (Mon) – EXETER, NH • Water Street Books. 7:00 PM.

March 9 (Tues) – SOUTH PORTLAND, ME • Borders. 7:00 PM.

March 10 (Wed) – BANGOR, ME • Borders. 6:00 PM.

UK

UPDATE – U.K. DATES BELOW

March 15 (Mon) – BASINGSTOKE • Waterstones. 7:00 PM.

March 16th (Tues) – MILTON KEYNES • Waterstones. 1 PM (Signing only).

March 16th (Tues) – BIRMINGHAM • Waterstones, 6 PM.

March 17th (Wed) – LIVERPOOL • Waterstones, 12:30 PM (Signing only).

March 17th (Wed) – MANCHESTER • Waterstones, 7 PM.

March 18th (Thurs) – LEEDS • Waterstones, 1 PM. (Signing only).

March 18th (Thurs) – NOTTINGHAM • Waterstones, 6:30 PM.

March 20 (Sat) – LONDON • Forbidden Planet (time TBD).

Sam
02-11-2010, 07:28 PM
If one of y'all can score me a signed copy?:):):) Karen???:D

Tito_Villa
02-12-2010, 02:44 AM
Yay im really looking forward to going to the Nottingham signing/reading! :panic:

Tito_Villa
02-12-2010, 02:46 AM
I am hoping to go to the Nottingham event!!! :dance:

Nerak
02-12-2010, 04:57 AM

That is not good news...

It's bad, bad news.

Why is it so bad? I liked Transformers and Locke & Key is a different animal altogether

Rahfa
02-12-2010, 07:39 AM
If you liked Transformers, sure, you're all set...but I couldn't stand it, so it's not good news to me! Haha...

You going to Portsmouth on Tuesday?

ELazansky
02-12-2010, 08:36 AM

There are a lot of places that are taking preorders for signed copies:

http://www.riverrunbookstore.com/events/bestselling-author-joe-hill-reads-from-his-latest-novel-horns
http://www.vjbooks.com/Joe-Hill-Horns-p/hilhorn01.htm
http://www.signedpage.com/authors/hill-horns.html

herbertwest
02-12-2010, 11:18 AM
The french edition of Twentieth Century have a different title now. It was the perfect translation, now it becomes "Ghosts - cloudy stories".
I've recieved a review copy...

Nerak
02-12-2010, 02:26 PM
If you liked Transformers, sure, you're all set...but I couldn't stand it, so it's not good news to me! Haha...

You going to Portsmouth on Tuesday?

I likes Transformers and YEAH! I will be there and Robert too

Nerak
02-12-2010, 02:28 PM

Sam, wicked sorry, first, cause I didn't see this til now and second, I have already got a STACK of books I have to get signed for others.. Sorry, Hun!

Sam
02-12-2010, 05:11 PM
I was teasing, Karen. Just so you know.

SkippyD023
02-14-2010, 08:37 AM
I see that all but one of Joe's UK events is at Waterstone's, I would really like to get a signed UK book but after what happened with UTD I would be afraid to buy another book from them and have it arrived damaged. Has anyone ordered books from Forbidden Planet before and had them shipped to the US? Were they packed well for the long journey?

wizardsrainbow
02-17-2010, 06:23 AM
Man, I had ordered a case of Joe Hill pre-signed Horns from Barnes & Noble and they abruptly cancelled my order yesterday. Don't know why!

Also, PS Publishing has not responded to me on my inquiry of buying the S/L books at a discount.

Just keeping you up to date.

Nerak
02-17-2010, 07:21 AM
Dumb B&N Kick them!!

On a lighter note...the reading was awsome last night. Robert took pics, so you will have to wait until I get them to post them!

He got there after 7pm as we were in the middle of a snowstorm yesterday. About 20 people turned out to see him, so it was pretty good for as bad as the weather was.
He read first (from the turkey explosion scene for those who have rad the book) and then took questions, then signed books. We were outa there by 8:10. He wanted to get home just like the rest of us.

Oh, and he gave out flashing horns for people who asked questions! HE HE Just wait til you see the pics.

I managed to get a couple signed for David, three for Barry and one for me. I will get the rest of my stuff signed at the Exeter signing. Not a big rush for me.

Randall Flagg
02-17-2010, 07:28 AM
One down, 25 to go.

Tito_Villa
02-17-2010, 08:37 AM
Does anyone have any idea when the PS publishing Horns S/L will be shipped?

biomieg
02-17-2010, 09:10 AM
Does anyone have any idea when the PS publishing Horns S/L will be shipped?

I was wondering the same thing after seeing the UK trade PB in my local bookstore yesterday (I like its cover art by the way)... I want to read it!

Nerak
02-17-2010, 09:16 AM
Last night was awsome! Good turnout for a day that ended with 8 inches of snow on the seacoast! LOL Check out the Joe Hill thread for my details and pics to come layta

Nerak
02-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Trade PB is out already? That was fast..

Well, Here's my pic from last night. I have a few more, will post them later.

Randall Flagg
02-17-2010, 10:16 AM
You 'Horny' little devil.:rock:

Room 217 Caretaker
02-17-2010, 11:21 AM
You 'Horny' little devil.:rock:

:wtf::rofl::lol: Good one

In honor of Joe's new release I've changed My Mood to Devilish

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

herbertwest
02-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Joe shaved itself:scared:

Nerak
02-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Joe has been clean shaven, for the most part, for a few months now. The hair cut is new.

And thanks for the "horny little devil" comment! Made me :lol:

Heather19
02-17-2010, 02:29 PM
Karen, glad you had a good time. Were they trying to limit how many books Joe would sign? or would he do a couple for each person?

Nerak
02-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Heather, he signed 6 for me....but I know him...so...

Cutter
02-18-2010, 06:56 AM
hmm, I was planning on bringing about 6 books too. I hope he signs them *crosses fingers*

Nerak
02-18-2010, 07:02 AM
He probably will, he's pretty nice..

wizardsrainbow
02-18-2010, 08:22 AM
PS Publishing crapped out on me. Said the S/L version is sold out and most unsigned copies are spoken for. They offered me free shipping. :doh: No discount. Between that and B&N cancelling my 10 signed copies, I'm disappointed. Therefore, I have nothing to offer all of you. Say sorry.

Nerak
02-18-2010, 08:24 AM
PS Pub is a pain!!!

Tito_Villa
02-18-2010, 08:39 AM
Well i have been e-mailed saying that the traycased edition should be ready for shipping the first week in march and the slipcased version not long after!

Randall Flagg
02-18-2010, 10:32 AM
PS Pub is a pain!!!
He's always been nice to me.

Nerak
02-18-2010, 10:46 AM
I tried to get an ARC from him and he said no cause he was never able to get one from us! I was like, HEY! I am new here, you scratch my back I scratch yours and NO JOY! :( I was hoping it was the beginning of a very nice friendship...but it was not to be

biomieg
02-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Well i have been e-mailed saying that the traycased edition should be ready for shipping the first week in march and the slipcased version not long after!

Mehh... we have to wait until March? Guess I'm going to have to get the trade PB in the meantime... too bad the one copy I found here was scratched, bumped and dented...

Room 217 Caretaker
02-18-2010, 12:11 PM
I tried to get an ARC from him and he said no cause he was never able to get one from us! I was like, HEY! I am new here, you scratch my back I scratch yours and NO JOY! :( I was hoping it was the beginning of a very nice friendship...but it was not to be

He may change his mind after he see's a picture of you with your horns on :P

mulleins
Cumberland VA

Patrick
02-18-2010, 08:08 PM
:lol:

Love your horny photo, Karen! Glad you and Joe had a good time.

Sorry the book negotiation hasn't panned out for you yet, David.

I count PS Publishing as one of the good ones, just as I do DMG. :)

Lenny
02-18-2010, 10:54 PM
David do you have any plans to start stocking Joe Hill's collectibles like you do Stephen's?

Nerak
02-19-2010, 05:19 AM

He may change his mind after he see's a picture of you with your horns on :P

mulleins
Cumberland VA

:couple: and :lol:

SkippyD023
02-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Can anyone tell me if the book The Many Faces Of Van Helsing edited by Jeanne Cavelos with Joe Hill's story "Abraham's Boys" was issued as a hardcover or just paperback? I have not seen any hardcover copies anywhere but want to be sure I am not missing something.

Room 217 Caretaker
02-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Can anyone tell me if the book The Many Faces Of Van Helsing edited by Jeanne Cavelos with Joe Hill's story "Abraham's Boys" was issued as a hardcover or just paperback? I have not seen any hardcover copies anywhere but want to be sure I am not missing something.

Through all my research......only published in paperback.

Hope this helps

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Patrick
02-22-2010, 10:17 PM
My research (which is rarely as extensive as Ralph's) agrees: paperback only.

SkippyD023
02-23-2010, 06:30 AM
Thanks Ralph and Patrick. That is what I found as well but wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something.

Nerak
02-23-2010, 07:18 AM
Mine is paperback

funky dredd
02-23-2010, 07:51 AM
It's been a while since I posted. But I came home to this last night.

http://funkydredd.blacknineteen.com/jzdanis/Books/Horns.jpg

Randall Flagg
02-23-2010, 07:53 AM
Joe wants us all to go to hell.:wtf:

Congratulations.