PDA

View Full Version : Joe Hill, Author

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

zelig
06-07-2016, 01:44 PM
If anyone is interested in one of these, there are a bunch on Abe. Search for this ISBN: 9780575130722. It is the trade paperback of The Fireman issued at the same time as the hardcover. Usually known as the "airport edition."

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/IMG_7381_zpsrzcjlu7b.jpg

MarcoL
06-07-2016, 08:44 PM
And since there are already so many different editions of The Fireman, there are two 'versions'. One with a smooth cover (I saw a 3rd printing) and one with a cover with little bubbles (like braille). I've got a first printing of the latter myself.

If anyone is interested in one of these, there are a bunch on Abe. Search for this ISBN: 9780575130722. It is the trade paperback of The Fireman issued at the same time as the hardcover. Usually known as the "airport edition."

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/zelig7/IMG_7381_zpsrzcjlu7b.jpg

The Library Policeman
06-08-2016, 04:31 AM
Two different Joe Hill events for me tomorrow. Looking forward to both!

Brian861
06-08-2016, 07:26 PM
Being completely lazy here and without looking up thread; is Joe done with his US promotion tour of The Fireman? If not, would someone be willing to pick me up a signed/inscribed 1st/1st copy? Thanks!

Joe315
06-08-2016, 08:50 PM
Pretty sure he's done in the U.S. and is now in the UK

Stockerlone
06-09-2016, 03:53 AM
Now we in Germany are waiting for infos about a promo tour. :onfire:

Brian861
06-09-2016, 04:05 AM

Was afraid of that. Don't know why I didn't think of it earlier while he is still doing the US tour. At least I'll be getting one from across the pond :)

MarcoL
06-09-2016, 04:15 AM

Was afraid of that. Don't know why I didn't think of it earlier while he is still doing the US tour. At least I'll be getting one from across the pond :)

There are a couple of events in the US starting next week, You can check Joe's facebook page for details.

louis2003b
06-09-2016, 04:51 AM
Being completely lazy here and without looking up thread; is Joe done with his US promotion tour of The Fireman? If not, would someone be willing to pick me up a signed/inscribed 1st/1st copy? Thanks!

Thursday, June 16th @ 7:00 PM
B&N
235 Daniel Webster Hwy, Nashua, NH 03060
For more info call 603-888-0533

Tuesday, June 21st @ 6:00 PM
Books-A-Million
430 Gorham Rd., South Portland, ME 04106
For more info call 205-909-3549

becca69
06-09-2016, 05:25 AM

Mysterious Galaxy still has signed copies.
http://www.mystgalaxy.com/book/9780062200631

dnemec
06-09-2016, 09:04 AM
Has anyone who bought the Goldsboro books received notification? They have it for sale on their website, but mine still says "Pre Ordered" on the details page.

Brian861
06-09-2016, 09:07 AM
Thanks all! What I love about this place. Admit I'm being lazy and still get the info I'm looking for it! Definitely enabling the addiction lol. If anyone is attending the NH or ME event and is willing to pick me up an inscribed copy; please contact me via PM. Thanks!

Brian861
06-09-2016, 09:10 AM
Has anyone who bought the Goldsboro books received notification? They have it for sale on their website, but mine still says "Pre Ordered" on the details page.

You probably read this same as me, Dez but it shows it's not being released until June 14. Could be the reason. I can't order til then because they won't accept PayPal for preorders nor will my bank allow me to use my debt card on their site :-/.

zelig
06-09-2016, 09:13 AM

You probably read this same as me, Dez but it shows it's not being released until June 14. Could be the reason. I can't order til then because they won't accept PayPal for preorders nor will my bank allow me to use my debt card on their site :-/.

Same with me although I'm not seeing that June 14 date. It shows June 7th on the product page.

Brian861
06-09-2016, 09:17 AM

Same with me although I'm not seeing that June 14 date. It shows June 7th on the product page.

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure it read the 14th earlier in the week. I also see now that the PayPal option is up. I'll try to order and see what happens.

Brian861
06-09-2016, 09:23 AM
Was able to order via PayPal no problem and received the order confirmation.

zelig
06-09-2016, 09:52 AM
FYI: I sent them (Goldsboro) an email and this was the response:

"Our copies were signed only yesterday. We’ll start processing pre-orders tomorrow and first orders will be shipped early next week."

dnemec
06-09-2016, 10:00 AM
Glad I'm not the only confused one.

Thanks for the info, Paul!

The Library Policeman
06-09-2016, 11:59 AM
Two Joe Hill events done & dusted! Very entertaining and I snagged loads of sigs & 1 or 2 goodies :)

Just heading home. Brian I got your book I'll get in touch with you later when I get home, dude.

Joe really is an exceptionally nice guy.

Brian861
06-09-2016, 02:06 PM
FYI: I sent them (Goldsboro) an email and this was the response:

"Our copies were signed only yesterday. We’ll start processing pre-orders tomorrow and first orders will be shipped early next week."

Yes, thanks, Paul. Maybe that's where I got the date of the 14th from. Thanks to the confusion, Dez, that I doubled checked the site and was able to preorder :). Not sure the demand on these things but didn't want to miss out.

Brian861
06-09-2016, 02:09 PM
Two Joe Hill events done & dusted! Very entertaining and I snagged loads of sigs & 1 or 2 goodies :)

Just heading home. Brian I got your book I'll get in touch with you later when I get home, dude.

Joe really is an exceptionally nice guy.

Glad you scored lots of gets and had a great time. Thanks so much for snagging me a copy!! If The Library Policeman will be delivering it, could we do that during daylight hours :scared:

Lovejoygirl14
06-09-2016, 04:48 PM
I'm still looking for the CD signed edition of The Fireman WITH the CD slipcase
ALSO the lettered "by the silver water of lake Champlain" from sub press

Brian861
06-09-2016, 06:30 PM

Tori, you're looking at about 12 weeks out if you ordered The Fireman with the slipcase from CD. SOP for them. They don't start production of the slipcases until they have the finished book in hand. I wouldn't expect to see anything on this til about August at best. As far as Sub Press; no clue as I've never bought directly from them. But I'm sure as with any small press, there is usually a substantial waiting period.

Lovejoygirl14
06-09-2016, 06:49 PM
Ah crap. I didn't know it was still being made!! I will wait a while before I start asking around then, I know that it is sold out at sub press and I seen one on eBay a while ago. Just thought I'd ask around here. Thanks brian!

NoahM
06-09-2016, 06:52 PM
The lettered Silver Waters of Lake Champlain has been out for quite a while. I've had my copy for months now! If you ordered yours when it was announced and still haven't received your copy, I would definitely contact Bill & see what's up!!

Brian861
06-09-2016, 06:59 PM
Ah crap. I didn't know it was still being made!! I will wait a while before I start asking around then, I know that it is sold out at sub press and I seen one on eBay a while ago. Just thought I'd ask around here. Thanks brian!

You're most welcome :). Good idea since that Sub Press book you're looking for apparently has been out for quite some time now.

Lovejoygirl14
06-09-2016, 07:31 PM
Oh, I never ordered it. I'm just seeing if anyone would be willing to sell me one. When it was first published I didn't have the money to buy it. ):

Brian861
06-09-2016, 11:13 PM
Oh, I never ordered it. I'm just seeing if anyone would be willing to sell me one. When it was first published I didn't have the money to buy it. ):

Try this link, Tori for King books you are looking for: King Books/Items Wanted (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?966-King-Books-Items-Wanted&p=1004666#post1004666)

And this one for non-King books: Other Collectible Authors: Classifieds, Wanted, Market Value (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?19195-Other-Collectible-Authors-Classifieds-Wanted-Market-Value&p=1004494#post1004494)

Both forum threads here.

pete at pspublishing
06-09-2016, 11:29 PM
Hey Folks! I'm way behind on answering questions and stuff so if anyone wants "the personal treatment" (which makes a lot of sense) then write me at:
editor@pspublishing.co.uk
I'll make sure you get a speedy response!
Best wishes always
Pete

NoahM
06-10-2016, 04:59 AM
Lovejoygirl - Oh, okay, sorry, I misunderstood! Good luck finding a copy! I just did a quick online search but came up empty :(

jsmcmullen92
06-10-2016, 05:11 AM
Tori, just an FYI on Silver Water, there is no difference between the Lettered and Numbered editions. They are the same just one with a number and one with a letter. I think the price was the biggest difference.

louis2003b
06-10-2016, 05:14 AM

Everyone I know who ordered including myself has received their Lettered copies. They shipped quite awhile ago.

Br!an
06-10-2016, 05:14 AM

You can still order the slipcase directly from CD. Hurry though, Brian will pull this soon.

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/X_CASES044

MLG
06-10-2016, 06:52 AM

Received notification this morning!

Br!an
06-10-2016, 07:46 AM
Me too! :dance:

zelig
06-10-2016, 08:25 AM
Me three.

frik
06-10-2016, 09:10 AM
four!

sk

dnemec
06-10-2016, 09:54 AM
Five! I guess we all just got too excited!

Brian861
06-10-2016, 10:00 AM
6 :)

louis2003b
06-10-2016, 10:13 AM
So did ps publishing mean late may of 2017 they will be releasing The Fireman :)

Lovejoygirl14
06-10-2016, 02:19 PM
Well that's a bummer there is no difference, might as well take what I can get when it becomes available. Thanks Brian I'll get right on that slipcase!!

MarcoL
06-10-2016, 03:00 PM
https://www.waterstones.com/book/the-fireman/joe-hill/9781785172991?utm_campaign=1223667&utm_content=6937891714&utm_medium=email&utm_source=singletitleJoeHill

sk

Is this one the same as the Goldsboro edition?

The Goldsboro version is ISBN 9780575130715
Waterstones is ISBN 9781785172991

I'm not sure is there are any other differences other than the £5 price difference. Goldsboro calls theirs a Limited Edition Signed by the Author and Waterstones calls theirs a Signed Edition.

Proof that the Goldsboro edition is different from the Waterstones one, a tipped in limitation page
http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p757/mlammers1972/image_zps2lvhzvj4.jpeg

louis2003b
06-10-2016, 03:28 PM

If you are looking for a limited By the Silver Lake, Camelot still has some available at retail ($60). Lettered is prob going to be hard to come by.

Dano
06-10-2016, 04:12 PM
6 :)

7!

Dan

Tommy
06-10-2016, 07:33 PM

RC65
06-10-2016, 09:53 PM
I would like to say I'm 9, but after being a cheerleader for this Goldsboro edition and directing potential Waterstones customers to Goldsboro instead, it appears my order may have been screwed up and I may be SOL. I'm trying to remain optimistic and hope for resolution, but it's getting tougher as the day has wore on. How so much good karma can go so wrong I've no idea...

Brian861
06-10-2016, 10:42 PM
I would like to say I'm 9, but after being a cheerleader for this Goldsboro edition and directing potential Waterstones customers to Goldsboro instead, it appears my order may have been screwed up and I may be SOL. I'm trying to remain optimistic and hope for resolution, but it's getting tougher as the day has wore on. How so much good karma can go so wrong I've no idea...

Screwed up in what way, Ron? If problems persist, I can try and order one for ya using your shipping address for delivery.

RC65
06-10-2016, 10:52 PM
They said my credit card couldn't process, and to please re-order off the page. I called my credit card company; they show no attempt was made to process. Odd. I went back to their site...it's now sold out (but thanks, Brian, for the offer). I emailed back and said perhaps my card was replaced between the time the order was placed and now (which, in fact, I now believe it was), so offered the new expiration date for the copy I presumed was still on hold for me. No further contact from Goldsboro. Checking my orders on their site, this order now shows as Cancelled. I'm hoping, given the time differences, that perhaps I'll hear something positive by morning...we shall see.

Brian861
06-10-2016, 11:04 PM
They said my credit card couldn't process, and to please re-order off the page. I called my credit card company; they show no attempt was made to process. Odd. I went back to their site...it's now sold out (but thanks, Brian, for the offer). I emailed back and said perhaps my card was replaced between the time the order was placed and now (which, in fact, I now believe it was), so offered the new expiration date for the copy I presumed was still on hold for me. No further contact from Goldsboro. Checking my orders on their site, this order now shows as Cancelled. I'm hoping, given the time differences, that perhaps I'll hear something positive by morning...we shall see.

You're most welcome and I hope so too, brother. That blows. :( Did you preorder it some time ago then? The site wouldn't accept my debit card due to my bank's policies and they (Goldsboro) don't allow PayPal for preorders. I thought I'd read somewhere on the product page that it wouldn't be released til June 14th. If Dez wouldn't have posted her panic post (thanks Dez :)), I probably wouldn't have gone back to the site to order. It sold out pretty quickly then.

RC65
06-10-2016, 11:18 PM

Did you preorder it some time ago then?

Yeah, just about the same day it went up; I'm sure I was among the first to pre-order.

Brian861
06-10-2016, 11:32 PM

Yeah, just about the same day it went up; I'm sure I was among the first to pre-order.

FWIW, Ron. I huge hats off to you all the same. If I hadn't seen you mention this over at CD, I'd remained clueless that it even existed. Rep coming your way, brother.

ELazansky
06-12-2016, 11:36 AM
So I'm 30% into The Fireman. I hope someone who has read it will tell me this book gets better. I am so bored right now. I love everything else I've read from Joe, but this book isn't doing anything for me yet.

frik
06-12-2016, 07:52 PM
So I'm 30% into The Fireman. I hope someone who has read it will tell me this book gets better. I am so bored right now. I love everything else I've read from Joe, but this book isn't doing anything for me yet.

We're the exception, it seems, but the book didn't do much for me either. After having read nothing but high praise, my expectations went through the roof (maybe that was the problem) and came crashing down.
I liked (no more than that) the first hundred pages or so, was bored during most of the middle section, but things picked up during the finale. Not enough to save the book.
Very disappointed.

sk

FennyBate
06-12-2016, 08:17 PM
As much as I loved '20th Century Ghosts', I couldn't finish 'NOS4R2', so I'm...concerned, about 'The Fireman'.

Aronstg
06-12-2016, 10:01 PM
I enjoyed The Fireman. I didn't think it was the best book ever but I felt it was really well written and I am fine with a slower paced book.

I think the hype has really come from the massive pr campaign for this book. I haven't heard readers say it's the best thing ever.

RC65
06-13-2016, 06:30 AM
Only 20/30 pages in -- am hoping I'll find THE FIREMAN as good as his other works, but will keep my expectations reasonable after reading the comments above.

MLG
06-13-2016, 06:43 AM
The Fireman is now may favorite Hill Novel. NOS4A2 is my least favorite.

Here is my order of King long stories:
1. The Fireman
2. Locke & Key
3. Heart Shaped Box
4. Horn's
5. NOS4A2

zelig
06-13-2016, 06:45 AM
Funny how tastes can be so different. My favorite Hill book is NOS4A2.

MLG
06-13-2016, 07:02 AM
Funny how tastes can be so different. My favorite Hill book is NOS4A2.

I enjoyed it but it is my least favorite.

ELazansky
06-13-2016, 07:31 AM
I may put The Fireman down and read End of Watch. Maybe if I step away and come back my perspective may change. It certainly is my least favorite Hill book for now.

webstar1000
06-13-2016, 07:45 AM
Wow.. was going to read Fireman this summer.. .may pass after the comments here... thanks guys. I have been hitting mostly with everyones recommendations!

Bev Vincent
06-13-2016, 07:55 AM
I'm in the camp that puts it at the top of the list of his novels.

Brian861
06-13-2016, 09:04 AM
I may put The Fireman down and read End of Watch. Maybe if I step away and come back my perspective may change. It certainly is my least favorite Hill book for now.

Halfway through EOW and it's really good IMO. Especially if you're a fan of the series anyway. Pretty fast pace. Will finish BOBD after EOW then The Fireman. Will be my first Hill read of any kind.

Brian861
06-13-2016, 09:05 AM
Wow.. was going to read Fireman this summer.. .may pass after the comments here... thanks guys. I have been hitting mostly with everyones recommendations!

You should still give it it's due, Kris. You might love it! :).

The Library Policeman
06-14-2016, 04:34 AM
So, I went to 2 separate Joe Hill events on Thursday last week. Both events (signing in the afternoon and talk & signing in the evening) were pretty close to where I live so it was ideal. I spent the weekend making it up to my better half and my daughter for disappearing on them for a full day so haven't had a chance to post until now.
Both events were really enjoyable and Joe is a really friendly guy as most of you already know.

Here is the stuff I managed to get signed over the 2 events:

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah15/alangrimason68/C7D9BE31-BDF6-4628-B721-ABBB179504E4_zps04zat9yf.jpg (http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/alangrimason68/media/C7D9BE31-BDF6-4628-B721-ABBB179504E4_zps04zat9yf.jpg.html)

I got a picture with Joe in the afternoon and volunteered for the "kazoochestra" in the evening but wasn't picked. I was however picked for a Fireman T-Shirt (one of four he gave away)

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah15/alangrimason68/C1764763-3343-4B95-A884-7B3B92A4F4F4_zpscfseit1g.jpg (http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/alangrimason68/media/C1764763-3343-4B95-A884-7B3B92A4F4F4_zpscfseit1g.jpg.html)http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah15/alangrimason68/BE333626-E892-4E8A-9100-1887D8606C63_zps7l0wszbi.jpg (http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/alangrimason68/media/BE333626-E892-4E8A-9100-1887D8606C63_zps7l0wszbi.jpg.html)

Highlights for me were getting my sampler and promo postcard signed:

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah15/alangrimason68/495A56A4-B8B2-4487-BF80-0CE82B1BF0C7_zpsqsvnv1cp.jpg (http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/alangrimason68/media/495A56A4-B8B2-4487-BF80-0CE82B1BF0C7_zpsqsvnv1cp.jpg.html)

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah15/alangrimason68/A6BA692B-C95A-4ABB-992B-8F8F79503437_zps7muexu4a.jpg (http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/alangrimason68/media/A6BA692B-C95A-4ABB-992B-8F8F79503437_zps7muexu4a.jpg.html)http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah15/alangrimason68/B1524647-EC4C-41D5-973B-1BFA93B1FDE7_zpsn8uzyrd6.jpg (http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/alangrimason68/media/B1524647-EC4C-41D5-973B-1BFA93B1FDE7_zpsn8uzyrd6.jpg.html)

And my 1st/1st NOS4R2 doodled and signed to myself and my daughter:

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah15/alangrimason68/5D0960D2-8BB6-4080-A16E-62925F7BC9F8_zpsr58kxixo.jpg (http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/alangrimason68/media/5D0960D2-8BB6-4080-A16E-62925F7BC9F8_zpsr58kxixo.jpg.html)

He also signed and doodled my evening event ticket:

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah15/alangrimason68/8F1CE33D-275A-4E0C-B268-D3D9B72D9717_zpseloargsr.jpg (http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/alangrimason68/media/8F1CE33D-275A-4E0C-B268-D3D9B72D9717_zpseloargsr.jpg.html)

Really enjoyable day and was great to finally meet Joe. :)

The Library Policeman
06-14-2016, 04:37 AM
By the way, I have some extra bookmarks (front and back pictured below) drop me a pm if you'd like one

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah15/alangrimason68/0DBF2A95-A15F-46E6-957E-D0EBAEE0C6CD_zpsbedlmpz5.jpg (http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/alangrimason68/media/0DBF2A95-A15F-46E6-957E-D0EBAEE0C6CD_zpsbedlmpz5.jpg.html)

peripheral
06-14-2016, 05:08 AM
Oh wow, that's a huge signed haul Alan. Awesome - all the JH signings sound like fun.

stroppygoblin
06-14-2016, 05:27 AM
I have a spare UK Waterstones limited 1st edition Fireman, Red edging and signed by the Author - PM me if you are interested. Cover price only plus shipping. :thumbsup:

EDIT: SOLD!

The Library Policeman
06-14-2016, 05:34 AM
Oh wow, that's a huge signed haul Alan. Awesome - all the JH signings sound like fun.

Thanks Peri. Yeah it was a really fun day and Joe is very generous with his time. Looks sooo much like a younger version of his dad as well.

zelig
06-14-2016, 06:48 AM
Very nice Alan! Sounds like it was a great time.

RC65
06-14-2016, 07:20 AM

FWIW, Ron. I huge hats off to you all the same. If I hadn't seen you mention this over at CD, I'd remained clueless that it even existed. Rep coming your way, brother.

Goldsboro took care of the situation, and I'm good to go. I should've known better than to sweat it; every transaction I've had with Goldboro in the past has proved them to provide exceptional customer service.

Brian861
06-14-2016, 08:21 AM
Very nice haul, Alan! Glad ya had a great time and got to meet Joe.

Brian861
06-14-2016, 08:22 AM
Goldsboro took care of the situation, and I'm good to go. I should've known better than to sweat it; every transaction I've had with Goldboro in the past has proved them to provide exceptional customer service.

Awesome news, Ron! Glad it worked out of ya :thumbsup:

MLG
06-14-2016, 10:00 AM

So glad to hear that!

The Library Policeman
06-14-2016, 12:23 PM
Very nice Alan! Sounds like it was a great time.

Very nice haul, Alan! Glad ya had a great time and got to meet Joe.

Thanks guys. Yeah it was a lot of fun :)

RichardX
06-15-2016, 06:36 AM
The Fireman was way over hyped. It's readable but not great. Probably 200 pages longer than necessary.

craigobau
06-15-2016, 09:46 AM
The Fireman was way over hyped. It's readable but not great. Probably 200 pages longer than necessary.

I'm on 25% through The Fireman, but I'm feeling the same way. Readable, but nothing special so far.

Brian861
06-15-2016, 11:04 PM
In regards to the US editions with the tipped in sigs from the publisher; how important is it that the "Signed First Edition" sticker be on the DJ? In my search for one, I'm seeing copies with and without. Thanks!

Br!an
06-16-2016, 03:38 AM
I prefer that it not have the sticker. I remove the sticker anyway. I'll usually put it back on the Brodart cover if it comes off in one piece.

Beverly Marsh
06-16-2016, 06:01 AM
I prefer that it not have the sticker. I remove the sticker anyway. I'll usually put it back on the Brodart cover if it comes off in one piece.

Brian, you've tried to teach me pictures, now I need you to come put these %$#@ brodart covers on!!!! :smile_002:

Beverly Marsh
06-16-2016, 06:05 AM
I must give a shout out to Marco! We've been discussing my extra Enigma key from the upcoming Bode bust and what I was going to do with mine. Since he lives in the Netherlands he has to pass on the bust himself. I half jokingly mentioned a trade for one of the t-shirts they were giving out in the UK since he was going to a couple of signings there. Well lo and behold he got one for me! He's going to send it now trusting that I will send the key when I get it. Which I will. And now that it's out there I definitely don't want to suffer the board wrath for going back on my word ;)
Thanks marco!

Br!an
06-16-2016, 06:12 AM

Brian, you've tried to teach me pictures, now I need you to come put these %$#@ brodart covers on!!!! :smile_002:

There is certainly a learning curve when putting on Brodart covers. I make sure the top edge is very tight in the top Brodart crease. I the use both hands to pull the lower flap up so that the bottom of the dustjacket barely starts to curve up. Then start creasing from the center to one side and then from the center to the other side. All the while keeping the tension so that the dustjacket is just barely curving up.

Maybe I'll make a video. :orely:

BTW, I might as well leave this here for you...

There are two ways to post photos. Either upload the photo to a web site that hosts photos and link to the photo with the http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/images/editor/insertimage.png icon, or you can upload to the site server in the Gallery.

If the photo is on your computer: From the menu at the top of the page click Gallery. From the upper right of the menu on top of the new page click Upload Photos. Click the Browse button. Navigate to the photo on your hard drive and select it. Click Open. Wait for the photo to upload. When it's complete you will be taken back to your gallery. You have three picture posting options. You can post the thumbnail, the medium sized image below the thumbnail, or you can click on the medium sized image and another window will open with a full sized image. Right click the image you want. Select Copy Image Location, then click the http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/images/editor/insertimage.png button in the thread you want and paste the image location in the box. Click OK.

You did it! :clap:

notes: You can only upload one photo at a time. The site will reduce your large photo to the largest image allowed in the post. There are a few other options that you can play with after you learn the basics.

MLG
06-16-2016, 06:35 AM
In regards to the US editions with the tipped in sigs from the publisher; how important is it that the "Signed First Edition" sticker be on the DJ? In my search for one, I'm seeing copies with and without. Thanks!

I would prefer one without the sticker but everything I found had the sticker.

Cwalker
06-16-2016, 07:12 AM
For those couple of people that this matters to, I will be able to make the Nashua event tonight after all. Your books are in my bag! I will let you know what I end up with when I get home.

Still hoping for a kazoo!

Beverly Marsh
06-16-2016, 07:35 AM

There is certainly a learning curve when putting on Brodart covers. I make sure the top edge is very tight in the top Brodart crease. I the use both hands to pull the lower flap up so that the bottom of the dustjacket barely starts to curve up. Then start creasing from the center to one side and then from the center to the other side. All the while keeping the tension so that the dustjacket is just barely curving up.

Maybe I'll make a video. :orely:

BTW, I might as well leave this here for you...

There are two ways to post photos. Either upload the photo to a web site that hosts photos and link to the photo with the http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/images/editor/insertimage.png icon, or you can upload to the site server in the Gallery.

If the photo is on your computer: From the menu at the top of the page click Gallery. From the upper right of the menu on top of the new page click Upload Photos. Click the Browse button. Navigate to the photo on your hard drive and select it. Click Open. Wait for the photo to upload. When it's complete you will be taken back to your gallery. You have three picture posting options. You can post the thumbnail, the medium sized image below the thumbnail, or you can click on the medium sized image and another window will open with a full sized image. Right click the image you want. Select Copy Image Location, then click the http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/images/editor/insertimage.png button in the thread you want and paste the image location in the box. Click OK.

You did it! :clap:

notes: You can only upload one photo at a time. The site will reduce your large photo to the largest image allowed in the post. There are a few other options that you can play with after you learn the basics.

Lol! Brian I am glad that you're a guy that never gives up! Thank you(again). I copied and pasted so it is SAVED.

Brian861
06-16-2016, 08:25 AM
For those couple of people that this matters to, I will be able to make the Nashua event tonight after all. Your books are in my bag! I will let you know what I end up with when I get home.

Thinking this might be very good news for me :clap:

Brian861
06-16-2016, 08:27 AM

I would prefer one without the sticker but everything I found had the sticker.

Thanks, guys!

dnemec
06-16-2016, 08:35 AM

:huglove:

Hope you and your mom have fun!

Cwalker
06-16-2016, 04:44 PM
I GOT A KAZOO!!!!! :) :)

Also, I guess I need to get signed up on twitter as Joe just tweeted a pic of he and I with the Rush T-Shirt that I gave him. He refers to Rush as "ebola for the ears". He did seem to like the shirt though.
He was only personalizing one book each tonight, so Dez is in luck and Brian, it looks like next week for you.
Fun night, good crowd, heading home.

zelig
06-16-2016, 04:56 PM
Just had a look at the pic he tweeted. Cool photo!

Brian861
06-16-2016, 09:45 PM

Also, I guess I need to get signed up on twitter as Joe just tweeted a pic of he and I with the Rush T-Shirt that I gave him. He refers to Rush as "ebola for the ears". He did seem to like the shirt though.
He was only personalizing one book each tonight, so Dez is in luck and Brian, it looks like next week for you.

Glad ya had a great time, Chris. Sounds like ya had a very cool experience. Thanks for hooking me up next week!

peripheral
06-17-2016, 02:32 AM

Yes, saw the twitter photo. Nice one.

Cwalker
06-17-2016, 04:51 AM
Joe made one interesting comment last night. He mentioned (for the first time that I'm aware of) that his next book is going to be called "Strange Weather" and will consist of four novellas. My impression was that they were all written at least in rough draft form. Late '17 perhaps?

jsmcmullen92
06-17-2016, 05:44 AM
WOOOO! L&K fans there is stuff in the pipeline
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-locke-and-key-joe-hill-20160615-snap-htmlstory.html

Bev Vincent
06-17-2016, 05:55 AM
Joe made one interesting comment last night. He mentioned (for the first time that I'm aware of) that his next book is going to be called "Strange Weather" and will consist of four novellas. My impression was that they were all written at least in rough draft form. Late '17 perhaps?

One of them will appear in the CD special issue this summer.

mikeC
06-17-2016, 06:12 AM
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-locke-and-key-joe-hill-20160615-snap-htmlstory.html

Neat. Thanks!
I wish they wouldn't tell you about things 6 months ahead of time though.

I'm about 8 discs into Fireman and I'm in the "it's just ok" camp. Definitely should have been tightened up, too many "she thought" "she was reminded of"s.
Nos4R2 started bang out of the gate and never slowed down. I liked that style much more.

MLG
06-17-2016, 06:38 AM

Neat. Thanks!
I wish they wouldn't tell you about things 6 months ahead of time though.

I'm about 8 discs into Fireman and I'm in the "it's just ok" camp. Definitely should have been tightened up, too many "she thought" "she was reminded of"s.
Nos4R2 started bang out of the gate and never slowed down. I liked that style much more.

It is being advertised in Joe and Gabe's new Tales From the Dark Side comic as well.

cit74
06-17-2016, 08:01 AM
Well no news in this mornings PS newsletter, so I guess we wait another week to see if it comes up for order. Late June I guess??

Cwalker
06-17-2016, 08:10 AM

One of them will appear in the CD special issue this summer.

One more reason i'm glad I ordered it! :)

MarcoL
06-18-2016, 05:54 AM
I've recently been able to purchase two copies of the UK The Fireman preview, not the free 32 page giveaway but the extended paperback with 153 pages containing the first 13 chapters. Obviously I'm keeping one for my own collection but I've decided to sell the other one.
It's an extremely rare edition, one I haven't seen for sale on the secondary market. It was signed by Joe on the cover at the Liverpool signing on the 8th June and is in new/mint unread condition.
Asking for $ 150 (Paypal gift) including worldwide shipping.

SOLD

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p757/mlammers1972/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsy8spfexy.jpg

jonp
06-18-2016, 06:11 AM
Hi Marco just PMed you.

MarcoL
06-18-2016, 06:54 AM
Time to share my story of the events in Liverpool and Manchester. I flew from Amsterdam to Liverpool in the morning of the 8th with plenty of time to get to Waterstones where Joe was doing a signing. My trolley loaded with books, mostly paperback editions and magazines but also a 1st/1st of the 'regular' white paged UK Fireman (obviously learned from my experience at the NOS4R2 tour 3 years ago that one cannot depend on finding 1st printings at these signings :). Prior to my trip I emailed the store asking them to reserve a copy of the red paged signed edition for me.
There were a couple of people already waiting and I picked up my reserved copy. When it was my turn, Joe was kind enough to sign a couple of books and I had my picture taken with him. Since the queue wasn't very long I decided to get back in line for 'seconds', I was one of the last in the queue. Joe signed another couple of books and shortly thereafter the signing was finished. The small number of people attending the signing really surprised me, I think no more than 50 people were present and most of them were people that picked up a copy of the book during their lunch break.
After a stroll through Liverpool I went on my way to the train station to get to Manchester were Joe was doing a reading and signing in the evening. It wasn't sold out, there were some 100 people present. The nice thing about this event was that the ticket included a copy of the book as well as a beer, all for 15 quid (cheaper than the list price of the book mind you!).
Joe did a little introduction where he mentioned he'd read a section from the book followed by a musical interlude and concluded with a Q&A session, the musical interlude was needed as he thought no one would want to listen to him talk for an hour straight. Thanks to all the posts on the board I obviously knew what was coming :)
Joe read the snowball fight section and when he was finished asked for some volunteers. If no one would volunteer, he'd pick a couple of people from the audience. He said he'd rather see some of us do the right thing so I sacrificed myself and got picked for his Kazoocestra. The rest of the audience received a sheet with lyrics for a sing-along. It was such a fun thing to do, lots of laughs and in the end I got to keep the kazoo (which was of course the only reason I volunteered making an arse of myself in the first place).
After the Q&A, people queued to get their copy of the book signed and I had the last of the books & magazines I brought signed as well as the lyrics sheet and kazoo. Another 'Kodak' moment and then I left the building for my trip back to the hotel in Liverpool. All in all a tiring but satisfying day. In the end I had more than 15 items signed and had a great time. I only regret that I dind't get to meet any fellow boardies (was anyone there????) I'm already looking forward to next time!!

Dan
06-18-2016, 07:59 AM
Wow, great story! Any photos?

MarcoL
06-18-2016, 10:17 AM
Photo taken from the back of the engine hall at the People's History Museum in Manchester. I was sitting on the front row in the center
http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p757/mlammers1972/IMG_0300_zpschqwxzrg.jpg

The Kazoocestra
http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p757/mlammers1972/IMG_3620_zpspwmphlu2.jpg

Yours truly
http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p757/mlammers1972/IMG_0186%20bewerkt_zpsjrxuzf3g.jpg

wolfehr
06-18-2016, 03:26 PM
After three years, Locke & Key is returning for a new one-shot comic story (http://www.blastr.com/2016-6-17/after-three-years-locke-key-returning-new-one-shot-comic-story)

Brian861
06-18-2016, 04:09 PM
Saw that in the back of Tales from the Darkside. Made me wonder if the title was taken from his mother's novel of the same name.

Brian861
06-18-2016, 09:17 PM
After three years, Locke & Key is returning for a new one-shot comic story (http://www.blastr.com/2016-6-17/after-three-years-locke-key-returning-new-one-shot-comic-story)

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/Darkside_4.JPG

RC65
06-19-2016, 08:06 AM
I'm about 150 pages into THE FIREMAN, and it's certainly not the barreling-down-the-tracks heap o' fun that NOS4A2 was, and I'm finding myself a little impatient with the book. So far it's been a lot of background, flickers of characters that come and go, and a lot of martial drama for the female protagonist...all stuff that would seem to have been able to be summed up in a few brief pages. It's now transitioning into a camp setting, and it just feels...flat. I love character development as much as the next guy and I'm all in for a slow-burn (if you'll excuse the pun) narrative...but this just seems a bit much as the female protagonist, frankly, isn't interesting enough thus far to carry that load, nor are there any other interesting characters to latch one's empathy upon. The mystery of the Fireman seems less a mystery and just yet another aberration among many (glowing people, etc.)...and a supernatural thriller without mystery, without wonder, is a rather uninspired read. I'm sticking with it, though, as Hill has never disappointed (though HORNS came close), and so has built up a lot of goodwill and confidence in his work with me. So I'm in for the long haul...I just hope it starts clicking pretty soon. Right now it just feels like an overly long, tired prologue to the Good Stuff, and comes across like a book that will be instantly forgettable. To be honest, I am truly stunned at my reaction at this book, as Hill is one of my favorite authors...but this one -- so far -- just isn't doing it for me. I sure hope that changes.

On a positive note, if my collectoritis allows me to do it, I may save myself a couple hundred dollars as my need to pick up the PS S/L has been dampened considerably.

craigobau
06-19-2016, 11:16 AM
I'm about 150 pages into THE FIREMAN, and it's certainly not the barreling-down-the-tracks heap o' fun that NOS4A2 was, and I'm finding myself a little impatient with the book. So far it's been a lot of background, flickers of characters that come and go, and a lot of martial drama for the female protagonist...all stuff that would seem to have been able to be summed up in a few brief pages. It's now transitioning into a camp setting, and it just feels...flat. I love character development as much as the next guy and I'm all in for a slow-burn (if you'll excuse the pun) narrative...but this just seems a bit much as the female protagonist, frankly, isn't interesting enough thus far to carry that load, nor are there any other interesting characters to latch one's empathy upon. The mystery of the Fireman seems less a mystery and just yet another aberration among many (glowing people, etc.)...and a supernatural thriller without mystery, without wonder, is a rather uninspired read. I'm sticking with it, though, as Hill has never disappointed (though HORNS came close), and so has built up a lot of goodwill and confidence in his work with me. So I'm in for the long haul...I just hope it starts clicking pretty soon. Right now it just feels like an overly long, tired prologue to the Good Stuff, and comes across like a book that will be instantly forgettable. To be honest, I am truly stunned at my reaction at this book, as Hill is one of my favorite authors...but this one -- so far -- just isn't doing it for me. I sure hope that changes.

On a positive note, if my collectoritis allows me to do it, I may save myself a couple hundred dollars as my need to pick up the PS S/L has been dampened considerably.

You've summed up very well my feelings towards The Fireman exactly .

I've just reached the 50% mark, and whilst I will also stick with this because I have enjoyed all of Joe's previous books, the story is not compelling enough at the moment to have me looking forward to reaching the section half of the book.

zelig
06-19-2016, 11:47 AM
I liked the first half of the book but found most of the rest was a bit of a grind. Let's say I didn't love it, I liked it. Overall I much preferred NOS4A2 over The Fireman. I'm reading Horns now, the only one of the novels I hadn't read yet.

jsmcmullen92
06-20-2016, 08:37 AM
I liked the first half of the book but found most of the rest was a bit of a grind. Let's say I didn't love it, I liked it. Overall I much preferred NOS4A2 over The Fireman. I'm reading Horns now, the only one of the novels I hadn't read yet.

Horns was one of my favorites!

zelig
06-20-2016, 09:00 AM
I'm loving it so far. Started yesterday and already on page 244.

ELazansky
06-20-2016, 10:18 AM
66% of the way there on The Fireman - definitely my least favorite Hill novel to date.

RC65
06-20-2016, 02:14 PM
I liked the first half of the book but found most of the rest was a bit of a grind.

Oh jeez, don't say that...I was hoping the second half would be better. At about 275 pages now; less than halfway, I believe, and was muddling through with the expectation that it picks up. Now, oh boy...

To add to my thoughts above, I think part of the problem is that there is not yet any true conflict. I think my earlier reference to the story being "flat" was a reflection that, when all is said and done, there is no conflict yet. It's a group of people of just...doing things and worrying. The only tension and conflict was contained within a few pages about the history of Harold, but that passed all to quickly. I hope this story is going somewhere, because right now it just feels like a group of poorly defined characters meandering around, looking for a plot.

zelig
06-20-2016, 02:42 PM
Yeah, well finish it and then let's see what you think. I'd be interested to hear your final opinion. Just for me I felt it was slow going for a while there in the second half.

Jimimck
06-20-2016, 09:48 PM
Hi team. What you say is the value of first edition, signed, of Nos4a2? Thank you.

Johnny Alien
06-21-2016, 03:53 AM
About $70-80? Maybe a touch more if it has a doodle?

ELazansky
06-21-2016, 04:11 AM
I would agree - I was thinking 50-70. Let's be honest, there are a LOT of signed Hill books out there. You had the publisher signed copies, then all of the ones he signed on that tour, then all of the ones people brought to him to sign on this tour, etc. We've always joked that the true rarity is the unsigned first printing :smile:

Kingfan24
06-21-2016, 05:34 AM
What type of value would you guys place on the lettered IDW nos4a2?

zelig
06-21-2016, 08:23 AM
Just finished reading Horns. It's absolutely brilliant. I had no idea it was this good. I feel as if I could gush for an hour over it. If you haven't read it, you're missing out. Magnificent.

Beverly Marsh
06-21-2016, 09:04 AM
I also loved Horns Paul. It's my second favorite of his novels after NOS4A2. Such a cool concept and glad you enjoyed it!
I'm inclined to lean towards the other folks when it comes to The Fireman. I did like it and thought it was a good read, it just didn't grab me like some of the others.
My favorite book is 20th Century Ghosts. I love a good short story and many of these were original and fun. I think one of his best short stories was Twittering From the Circus of the Dead. Not much creeps me out anymore but that one genuinely gave me the chills.

Roseannebarr
06-21-2016, 09:54 AM
Just finished reading Horns. It's absolutely brilliant. I had no idea it was this good. I feel as if I could gush for an hour over it. If you haven't read it, you're missing out. Magnificent.

That is the only full length book that i loved of Joe hills! can someone point me to the wired article with Joe Hill. searching at work......

I told Paul to read the article it puts an interesting spin on my favorite book!!!

MLG
06-21-2016, 10:11 AM

That is the only full length book that i loved of Joe hills! can someone point me to the wired article with Joe Hill. searching at work......

I told Paul to read the article it puts an interesting spin on my favorite book!!!

Is this the one you are looking for?

http://www.wired.com/2013/05/geeks-guide-joe-hill/

MarcoL
06-21-2016, 10:30 AM
Reaching out to fellow boardies that live in Canada!!!

I'd like to order a copy of a signed The Fireman from Indigo. Unfortunately they don't ship to The Netherlands. Please drop me a note if you're willing to help out.

NoahM
06-21-2016, 10:40 AM
So - I have a few extra goodies to sell - thought I'd see if there's any interest here before going the eBay route.

First up is the PS signed limited edition of 20th Century Ghosts, #167 of only 200 slipcased copies, MUCH rarer than the 500 copy state.

Then, Saved, also PS, copy #182 signed limited edition. Please PM me if interested, or for photos. Both books in fine condition, like new.

WeDealInLead
06-21-2016, 10:47 AM

I'd like to order a copy of a signed The Fireman from Indigo. Unfortunately they don't ship to The Netherlands. Please drop me a note if you're willing to help out.

I have one if you're still looking. I'm not sure if there's any difference at all from the US tipped-in edition, but I'll gladly sell it for cover price + shipping.

zelig
06-21-2016, 02:36 PM
I also loved Horns Paul. It's my second favorite of his novels after NOS4A2. Such a cool concept and glad you enjoyed it!
I'm inclined to lean towards the other folks when it comes to The Fireman. I did like it and thought it was a good read, it just didn't grab me like some of the others.
My favorite book is 20th Century Ghosts. I love a good short story and many of these were original and fun. I think one of his best short stories was Twittering From the Circus of the Dead. Not much creeps me out anymore but that one genuinely gave me the chills.

Yeah, I tell you, I've had a tough time deciding what my favorite Hill novel is. NOS4A2 was #1 for me until I read Horns. But I can't choose which one, although Horns is really special. In terms of short stories, in general, I much prefer novels to short stories, although I must say that Pop Art is fantastic.

Is this the one you are looking for?

http://www.wired.com/2013/05/geeks-guide-joe-hill/

Thanks, will check that out.

Jimimck
06-21-2016, 02:59 PM
About $70-80? Maybe a touch more if it has a doodle?

I would agree - I was thinking 50-70. Let's be honest, there are a LOT of signed Hill books out there. You had the publisher signed copies, then all of the ones he signed on that tour, then all of the ones people brought to him to sign on this tour, etc. We've always joked that the true rarity is the unsigned first printing :smile:

Cheers thank you!

Cwalker
06-21-2016, 05:56 PM
Tonight was the final stop on The Fireman Tour in South Portland, ME. Joe was a little late starting as he had an interview with our local NBC affiliate for a local show called "207". I will see if I can find out when it may air and if it will be available on line.

It went as most of the other events have but with the added bonus of Michael Koryta (crime and suspense author) and Izzy Skelton (Skelton Crew) being in the audience. koryta was brought up for the kazoo portion.

During the Q&A I was able to ask him a question. After pointing out that between he and his father they have made it very clear that any society that drinks Nozz-ola soda is prerty much boned, I asked if he had any concerens about including specific Dark Tower mythology into his novels. He said that he thought that he had reached a point in his life that since he had included so many of the other influences in his life into his writing, it felt natural to honor his fathers influence that way.

During the signing portion he recognized me from some of the other events and said I must be getting bored hearing all the same stories. I assured him that was not the case. :). As he signed my 10th Anniversary 20th CG and my Smoke and Mirrors he said he had thought of reading a passage from Snapshot: 1980 (?) but that he couldn't find one that he felt would stand alone well enough.

Now, all this talking is happening with a pretty long line still behind me, and I realized that he was taking extra time to do a doodle in the Fireman that I was having done for Brian861. Okay, if he isn't in a hurry that's fine with me. I then asked if he had any information concerning the limited Fireman tha PS has been teasing us with. He said he thought it would be out this fall, perhaps late September and that he had seen most of the art and it was "friggin' amazing".

And yes Brian, I got your book signed and indeed, he took the time to do a doodle. It's one I haven't personally seen before, one of a pheonix, all in flames. I'm actually pretty goddam jealous. :)

All in all a nice end to the tour.

MLG
06-21-2016, 06:42 PM
Tonight was the final stop on The Fireman Tour in South Portland, ME. Joe was a little late starting as he had an interview with our local NBC affiliate for a local show called "207". I will see if I can find out when it may air and if it will be available on line.

It went as most of the other events have but with the added bonus of Michael Koryta (crime and suspense author) and Izzy Skelton (Skelton Crew) being in the audience. koryta was brought up for the kazoo portion.

During the Q&A I was able to ask him a question. After pointing out that between he and his father they have made it very clear that any society that drinks Nozz-ola soda is prerty much boned, I asked if he had any concerens about including specific Dark Tower mythology into his novels. He said that he thought that he had reached a point in his life that since he had included so many of the other influences in his life into his writing, it felt natural to honor his fathers influence that way.

During the signing portion he recognized me from some of the other events and said I must be getting bored hearing all the same stories. I assured him that was not the case. :). As he signed my 10th Anniversary 20th CG and my Smoke and Mirrors he said he had thought of reading a passage from Snapshot: 1980 (?) but that he couldn't find one that he felt would stand alone well enough.

Now, all this talking is happening with a pretty long line still behind me, and I realized that he was taking extra time to do a doodle in the Fireman that I was having done for Brian861. Okay, if he isn't in a hurry that's fine with me. I then asked if he had any information concerning the limited Fireman tha PS has been teasing us with. He said he thought it would be out this fall, perhaps late September and that he had seen most of the art and it was "friggin' amazing".

And yes Brian, I got your book signed and indeed, he took the time to do a doodle. It's one I haven't personally seen before, one of a pheonix, all in flames. I'm actually pretty goddam jealous. :)

Joe posted that doodle on Twitter recently and stated that 'End of the tour and I finally have a good doodle!' I am definitely jealous as it was an awesome doodle.

Joe315
06-21-2016, 07:59 PM

I believe the "Snapshot: 1980" (I think it's Backshot) is the novella that is being released by CD as part of a double issue magazine.

Cwalker
06-21-2016, 08:13 PM
I believe the "Snapshot: 1980" (I think it's Backshot) is the novella that is being released by CD as part of a double issue magazine.

It is also going to be included in his next book, a collection of four novellas called "Strange Weather". I am pretty sure about the Snapshot part of the title but as i was typing I threw a rod and couldn't remember the year used in the title. :)

Joe315
06-21-2016, 09:03 PM

It is also going to be included in his next book, a collection of four novellas called "Strange Weather". I am pretty sure about the Snapshot part of the title but as i was typing I threw a rod and couldn't remember the year used in the title. :)

You are correct. From CD: Snapshot, 1988

MarcoL
06-21-2016, 10:18 PM

Great story! Thanks for sharing & hope to see some of the recorded material from NBC

MarcoL
06-21-2016, 10:19 PM

I have one if you're still looking. I'm not sure if there's any difference at all from the US tipped-in edition, but I'll gladly sell it for cover price + shipping.

Thanks for offering your help. I sent you a PM

Brian861
06-21-2016, 10:27 PM

Wow, Chris! First off, glad you had such a great experience and Joe took the extra time to chat you up. That's beyond cool! Secondly, I can't thank you enough for making the time and effort to get this done for me! So stoked to hear of the awesome doodle. Can't wait to see it. What makes it even more incredible is that the Phoenix has always had a special meaning to me. I fell in love with the image the first time The Bandit rolled the Trans Am out the back of that tractor-trailer. Later in life, I owned a '96 Trans Am; no Phoenix on the hood though. And my ebay user name is phoenixdown96 after that car. I feel like I just hit the lottery this early morning when I read this. And to top it off, yesterday afternoon, I received my signed UK copy from Alan!

I don't like to get too personal here because I feel it's really not the place. Even though I've still been able to make small book purchases, the last year has been really rough due to a lay off. So Alan and Chris, what you guys have done for me with these signings, I can't put into words the joy or appreciation I'm feeling right now. I believe David (Betts) had on his home page awhile back about how far a kind gesture or word can go. He was spot on and you guys delivered in a big way. Demonstrating complete selflessness in fore filling a fellow forum members request. I guy you both don't even know outside of what is seen and read here. Yes, Joe signs a ton of books and other things and it might not be that big of a deal outside of our little circle. But it's a huge deal to me. And in the end, that's all that matters. If there ever is anything I can do for you guys, please, don't hesitate to ask. I'm forever indebted to you both. Thanks again, guys! You truly :rock: :grouphug:

Brian861
06-21-2016, 11:21 PM
Didn't get any opinions over on the Other Collectable Authors thread so I thought I'd hit you guys for here. A good friend/mentor/fellow collector is looking to sell me his Joe Hill collection so I wanted to get your guys opinion on valuations. He's always done right by me but still I figure it doesn't hurt to double check. Thanks!

US 1st/1st:
20th Century Ghosts signed, dated and doodled
Heart Shaped Box Signed and dated 2-22-07
Horns Signed "Damnably Joe Hill", doodle
NOS4A2 Signed Pre-Publication "Joe Hill"
NOS4A2 Signed "Joe Hill"

UK 1st/1st:
20th Century Ghosts Pub by Gollancz
Heart Shaped Box Pub by Gollancz
Horns Pub by Gollancz

20th Century Ghosts TPB Pub by PS signed dated Oct. 8,2007 and doodled
20th Century Ghosts LTD, #d and Slipcased. #172 of 200. Signed by JH and Christopher Golden. Pub by PS

Heart Shaped Box Deluxe LTD & #d. #14 of 200. Pub By Sub Press.
Heart Shaped Box LTD & #d. #206 of 500 Pub by Sub Press.

Gunpowder HC jacket & slipcover #113 of 200 signed by JH and Vincent Chong. Pub by PS.

The Saved HC Holiday Chapbook #3, No jacket as issued. Pub by PS

Horns LTD, #d and Traycased. #18 of 200. Signed by JH and Vincent Chong. Pub by PS

Heart Shaped Box Signed LTD ED of 1300 copies. Still In shrink. Pub by Gollancz

Locke & Key IDW volumes all #d 1 - 6.

Locke & Key Sub Press Deluxe #d LTDs all same #. Vol. 1 - 3.

dnemec
06-22-2016, 04:28 AM
Didn't get any opinions over on the Other Collectable Authors thread so I thought I'd hit you guys for here. A good friend/mentor/fellow collector is looking to sell me his Joe Hill collection so I wanted to get your guys opinion on valuations. He's always done right by me but still I figure it doesn't hurt to double check. Thanks!

US 1st/1st:
20th Century Ghosts signed, dated and doodled
Heart Shaped Box Signed and dated 2-22-07
Horns Signed "Damnably Joe Hill", doodle
NOS4A2 Signed Pre-Publication "Joe Hill"
NOS4A2 Signed "Joe Hill"

UK 1st/1st:
20th Century Ghosts Pub by Gollancz
Heart Shaped Box Pub by Gollancz
Horns Pub by Gollancz

20th Century Ghosts TPB Pub by PS signed dated Oct. 8,2007 and doodled
20th Century Ghosts LTD, #d and Slipcased. #172 of 200. Signed by JH and Christopher Golden. Pub by PS

Heart Shaped Box Deluxe LTD & #d. #14 of 200. Pub By Sub Press.
Heart Shaped Box LTD & #d. #206 of 500 Pub by Sub Press.

Gunpowder HC jacket & slipcover #113 of 200 signed by JH and Vincent Chong. Pub by PS.

The Saved HC Holiday Chapbook #3, No jacket as issued. Pub by PS

Horns LTD, #d and Traycased. #18 of 200. Signed by JH and Vincent Chong. Pub by PS

Heart Shaped Box Signed LTD ED of 1300 copies. Still In shrink. Pub by Gollancz

Locke & Key IDW volumes all #d 1 - 6.

Locke & Key Sub Press Deluxe #d LTDs all same #. Vol. 1 - 3.

I'm only looking for a few of these, and have been watching only for just a little while, but here's what I'm seeing:

20th Century Ghosts signed paperback $50.00 - SOLD
20th Century Ghosts signed paperback $56.61 - SOLD

20th Century Ghosts S/L hardcover; 200 numbered $506.00 Available
20th Century Ghosts S/L hardcover; 200 numbered $650.00 Available
20th Century Ghosts S/L hardcover; 200 numbered $750.00 Available
20th Century Ghosts S/L hardcover; 200 numbered $1,100.00 Available

Heart-Shaped Box S/L hardcover; 500 numbered $123.80 Available
Heart-Shaped Box S/L hardcover; 500 numbered £193.59 Available

Heart-Shaped Box S/L hardcover; 500 numbered $298.00 Available
Heart-Shaped Box S/L hardcover; 500 numbered $350.00 Available
Heart-Shaped Box S/L w/ Vinny Chong sig & remarque $359.89 Available

The Saved unsigned $50.00 Available
The Saved signed £65.64 Available
The Saved signed $100.00 Available
The Saved signed $124.00 Available
The Saved signed $154.00 Available
The Saved signed $160.00 Available
The Saved signed $175.00 Available
The Saved signed $204.00 Available
The Saved signed $102.75 Available

Obviously, most are still for sale, but it gives you an idea on what's out there. I paid $81 for the Heart Shaped Box Signed LTD ED of 1300 copies that I just bought (not in shrink), am seeing one on ebay for $90, and was planning on buying one from a UK bookstore (until mine came up a bit cheaper) for just over $100 shipped. Hope this helps a bit!

Brian861
06-22-2016, 06:23 AM
Thanks, Dez! Most helpful :).

RC65
06-22-2016, 07:37 AM
Pics of that phoenix doodle would be much appreciated!

Cwalker
06-22-2016, 08:22 AM

I can take a pic before I box it up, and if Brian dosen't mind I'll post it here in this thread.

Brian861
06-22-2016, 10:18 AM

I can take a pic before I box it up, and if Brian dosen't mind I'll post it here in this thread.

Go for it!

Cwalker
06-22-2016, 11:55 AM
so with Brian's permission I present to you the Phoenix Doodle...

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/774/medium/pheonix.JPG

yeah, the more I think about it the more I want one myself.....

RC65
06-22-2016, 12:53 PM
That is just wonderful -- congratulations, Brian! Great doodle -- big and bold with optimal placement...looks fantastic.

zelig
06-22-2016, 02:04 PM
Cool doodle!

Aronstg
06-22-2016, 02:53 PM
Love the unique doodle!!!

Brian861
06-22-2016, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the spoiler wrap, Chris! I asked Chris to do that for me because I wanted to wait and see it when the book arrives.

That is just wonderful -- congratulations, Brian! Great doodle -- big and bold with optimal placement...looks fantastic.

Thanks, Ron! But honestly I cannot take any credit for this. If not for Chris, this would have never happened. When I reached out with an inscription request, Chris responded and said if he could get to both NE events, he'd get one for me. Chris was able to make both events and the stars lined up perfectly with the added doodle. I sweet bonus way beyond my standard request.

Cool doodle!

Judging from the responses, looks like I'm in for a real treat! Has Chris just become our go to guy for all things Joe?! He oblivious has a rapport with the man :).

racerx45
06-22-2016, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the spoiler wrap, Chris! I asked Chris to do that for me because I wanted to wait and see it when the book arrives.

Thanks, Ron! But honestly I cannot take any credit for this. If not for Chris, this would have never happened. When I reached out with an inscription request, Chris responded and said if he could get to both NE events, he'd get one for me. Chris was able to make both events and the stars lined up perfectly with the added doodle. I sweet bonus way beyond my standard request.

Cool doodle!

Judging from the responses, looks like I'm in for a real treat! Has Chris just become our go to guy for all things Joe?! He oblivious has a rapport with the man :).

I think Joe posted on Instagram about that doodle or one similar to it.

Something along the lines of “at the end of the tour I finally have a great doodle”

Brian861
06-22-2016, 03:45 PM
And Twitter as well I believe from what Martin said.

dnemec
06-22-2016, 04:12 PM

Anytime, my dear!

Brian861
06-22-2016, 05:23 PM

Anytime, my dear!

Thanks to that damn doll; every time you post, I hear Talking Tina in my head!! Thinking Paul and I are going to need therapy, and lots of it! :wink1:

RC65
06-23-2016, 10:08 AM

I liked the first half of the book but found most of the rest was a bit of a grind.

Oh jeez, don't say that...I was hoping the second half would be better. At about 275 pages now; less than halfway, I believe, and was muddling through with the expectation that it picks up. Now, oh boy...

To add to my thoughts above, I think part of the problem is that there is not yet any true conflict. I think my earlier reference to the story being "flat" was a reflection that, when all is said and done, there is no conflict yet. It's a group of people of just...doing things and worrying. The only tension and conflict was contained within a few pages about the history of Harold, but that passed all to quickly. I hope this story is going somewhere, because right now it just feels like a group of poorly defined characters meandering around, looking for a plot.

Ended up somewhat speed-reading/skimming the last half, and was pleased to see that some true conflict entered into the picture. I won't say more than that to avoid any possible spoilers, but, for me, the second half was notably more rewarding than the first half. So while I'm glad I pressed on and completed the book, THE FIREMAN is definitely my least favorite of any of Joe's works (replacing HORNS, which now moves up in the pecking order). I had imagined Joe Hill + Stand-like apocalyptic themes as being a foolproof combo, so I come away from the book disappointed and, frankly, a bit stunned. I'm not sure what kind of book Joe was aiming for with this one, but -- for me -- it just didn't work. But my confidence in Hill isn't shaken...as I've mentioned before, he's built up too much goodwill with me with his other brilliant works, so I'm just going to look upon THE FIREMAN as an instance -- the exception to the rule -- where he and I just didn't gel.

Beverly Marsh
06-23-2016, 10:39 AM
Wicked cool doodle Brian! I'm happy for you and that was good of Chris to hook you up on one of his many stops. I think you'll be glad to start getting in to Hill some more. That was a nice list Dez posted for you and interesting to see what some of this stuff is going for now. I got real lucky on a couple of my gets by the looks of it!

(trying to rep the three of you but I still haven't "spread it around" enough. lol. So here's a pretty +1 :) )

Beverly Marsh
06-23-2016, 10:47 AM
Who has read the first Tales From the Darkside issue? Thoughts?
I ordered the regular/variant 8 issue set from SK Catalog so I won't be seeing it until the series is over but I'm excited for it! Loved this show as a kid so looking forward to seeing Hill's take on it.

MarcoL
06-23-2016, 11:47 AM
For those of you who are still interested in Locke & Key, IDW limited now has a great offer for the limited black label Head Games at 50% off
http://idwlimited.com/shop/locke-key-head-games-alan-robinson-black-label/?mc_cid=cd8704fb95&mc_eid=1e38f8cbcc

ELazansky
06-23-2016, 11:57 AM
For those of you who are still interested in Locke & Key, IDW limited now has a great offer for the limited black label Head Games at 50% off
http://idwlimited.com/shop/locke-key-head-games-alan-robinson-black-label/?mc_cid=cd8704fb95&mc_eid=1e38f8cbcc

They also have the NOS4A2/Wraith combo for 112.50 - I skipped it last time someone had it for 99.00, so I'm deciding on whether or not I should get one now...

swintek
06-23-2016, 12:05 PM

They also have the NOS4A2/Wraith combo for 112.50 - I skipped it last time someone had it for 99.00, so I'm deciding on whether or not I should get one now...

If it's any help, I think it's a seriously well- thought out, designed and produced tome, and a definite bargain at close to $100. Isn't it Scream Press's Jeff Conner who does these for IDW now? If so, it shows.

The Library Policeman
06-23-2016, 01:16 PM

Wow, Chris! First off, glad you had such a great experience and Joe took the extra time to chat you up. That's beyond cool! Secondly, I can't thank you enough for making the time and effort to get this done for me! So stoked to hear of the awesome doodle. Can't wait to see it. What makes it even more incredible is that the Phoenix has always had a special meaning to me. I fell in love with the image the first time The Bandit rolled the Trans Am out the back of that tractor-trailer. Later in life, I owned a '96 Trans Am; no Phoenix on the hood though. And my ebay user name is phoenixdown96 after that car. I feel like I just hit the lottery this early morning when I read this. And to top it off, yesterday afternoon, I received my signed UK copy from Alan!

I don't like to get too personal here because I feel it's really not the place. Even though I've still been able to make small book purchases, the last year has been really rough due to a lay off. So Alan and Chris, what you guys have done for me with these signings, I can't put into words the joy or appreciation I'm feeling right now. I believe David (Betts) had on his home page awhile back about how far a kind gesture or word can go. He was spot on and you guys delivered in a big way. Demonstrating complete selflessness in fore filling a fellow forum members request. I guy you both don't even know outside of what is seen and read here. Yes, Joe signs a ton of books and other things and it might not be that big of a deal outside of our little circle. But it's a huge deal to me. And in the end, that's all that matters. If there ever is anything I can do for you guys, please, don't hesitate to ask. I'm forever indebted to you both. Thanks again, guys! You truly :rock: :grouphug:

Was my pleasure, Brian. Any time my friend :)

dnemec
06-23-2016, 03:30 PM

If it's any help, I think it's a seriously well- thought out, designed and produced tome, and a definite bargain at close to $100. Isn't it Scream Press's Jeff Conner who does these for IDW now? If so, it shows.

I agree, it is a beautifully done book. Buy it.

The Library Policeman
06-23-2016, 03:48 PM
Yep, what Dez said. Beautiful production at a great price. I got mine a few weeks a go. You won't regret it.

craigobau
06-23-2016, 09:36 PM
Finished The Fireman last night.

I found the second half much more enjoyable than the first half. The story picked up pace and whilst I really liked the ending, I'd still rank this as my least favourite JH novel.

Brian861
06-23-2016, 10:41 PM
Wicked cool doodle Brian! I'm happy for you and that was good of Chris to hook you up on one of his many stops. I think you'll be glad to start getting in to Hill some more. That was a nice list Dez posted for you and interesting to see what some of this stuff is going for now. I got real lucky on a couple of my gets by the looks of it!

(trying to rep the three of you but I still haven't "spread it around" enough. lol. So here's a pretty +1 :) )

I guess you aren't a big enough of a hussy with the spreading it around thing, Bev :lol: I appreciate the pretty +1 all the same :). And yes, that was really awesome of Chris to offer. Can't thank him enough. I'm still waiting to see the doodle when it arrives but I'm loving what I'm hearing about it so far! Really cool of Dez as well on the valuations :).

Brian861
06-23-2016, 10:56 PM
I ordered the regular/variant 8 issue set from SK Catalog so I won't be seeing it until the series is over but I'm excited for it! Loved this show as a kid so looking forward to seeing Hill's take on it.

I really enjoy. Too bad he's only doing four :(. After reading the first one, I was hoping for a lot more. Maybe he'll do some more down the line. There are five variants alone for issue #1 including the regular cover so far if you're into collecting them all. I'll post a pic below that was listed inside of the first issue. I'll eventually have 4 of the 5 once my eBay purchases come in. I was unaware of all the variants until I saw them inside the cover of the first issue. I haven't purchased a comic since probably early jr. high and it wasn't for collecting so completely in the dark with the comic thing for the most part. Starting with issue #2, I had my local mom and pop comic store reserve for me a set of all the variants that they will receive for the rest of the series. You might want to do the same if the variants are a must have.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/Darkside_5.JPG

Brian861
06-23-2016, 10:58 PM
Was my pleasure, Brian. Any time my friend :)

Appreciate that, brother!

Beverly Marsh
06-24-2016, 04:41 AM

I really enjoy. Too bad he's only doing four :(. After reading the first one, I was hoping for a lot more. Maybe he'll do some more down the line. There are five variants alone for issue #1 including the regular cover so far if you're into collecting them all. I'll post a pic below that was listed inside of the first issue. I'll eventually have 4 of the 5 once my eBay purchases come in. I was unaware of all the variants until I saw them inside the cover of the first issue. I haven't purchased a comic since probably early jr. high and it wasn't for collecting so completely in the dark with the comic thing for the most part. Starting with issue #2, I had my local mom and pop comic store reserve for me a set of all the variants that they will receive for the rest of the series. You might want to do the same if the variants are a must have.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/Darkside_5.JPG

SIGH. I should have known there would be a gazillion variants. Same with Wraith of which I have all of those. I am getting the regular and sub variants from SK Catalog so now I'm going to go on the hunt for these other ones. Thanks for sharing Brian and I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the first issue!

P.S. I don't know if you saw in the earlier posts but there is a hardcover Scripts version of TFTD coming out in Oct I believe. You can pre order on Amazon or maybe your local mom and pop can reserve that as well but you KNOW you're gonna have to have it ;)

Beverly Marsh
06-24-2016, 04:44 AM
Okay people, I have the slipcased Sub Press NOS4A2/Wraith. Tell me why I need the IDW...(seriously I need to be talked into or out of it lol)and that is a good price!

ELazansky
06-24-2016, 04:55 AM
Okay people, I have the slipcased Sub Press NOS4A2/Wraith. Tell me why I need the IDW...(seriously I need to be talked into or out of it lol)and that is a good price!

The Sub Press S/L edition did not come with Wraith. If you have the combined one, you may have ordered the IDW edition from Sub Press.

Beverly Marsh
06-24-2016, 05:06 AM

The Sub Press S/L edition did not come with Wraith. If you have the combined one, you may have ordered the IDW edition from Sub Press.
No, I have the Sub Press version. I'm at work so I can't double check but I'm pretty sure they included the Wraith novella? Regardless, the IDW version looks to be very nice edition. Just trying to decide if I need yet another one of this book. Lol

mikeC
06-24-2016, 05:11 AM

No, I have the Sub Press version. I'm at work so I can't double check but I'm pretty sure they included the Wraith novella? Regardless, the IDW version looks to be very nice edition. Just trying to decide if I need yet another one of this book. Lol

I read Wraith separately and felt zero urge to buy the IDW one.

ELazansky
06-24-2016, 05:12 AM

The IDW edition has the Wraith comic graphic novel, not the novella

Beverly Marsh
06-24-2016, 05:23 AM

The IDW edition has the Wraith comic graphic novel, not the novella
Ah! I see what you're saying now. Lol. Graphic novel as opposed to the novella itself. Hmmm....I have all of the comics and the h/c of the graphic so I'll have to think on whether or not I need the IDW version.

Br!an
06-24-2016, 05:26 AM

The Sub Press edition does indeed contain Wraith. It isn't included in the title, but it appears after NOS4A2.

"The Limited edition of NOS4A2 will be oversize, printed on 80# Finch, with an unpublished novella, “Wraith,” that was cut from the original manuscript. It also includes an alternate ending to the novel, as well as illustrations, in both black and white and color, by Hill’s long-term collaborator on the award-winning comic, Locke & Key, Gabriel Rodriguez." 750 limitation.

The IDW version is:

Limited to 999 copies
Limited-edition, custom-designed slipcase
Mounted signature page signed by author Joe Hill and C.P. Wilson III, also includes a small head sketch from the artist
Full-color dust jacket and a newly illustrated map of Christmasland featured as the end pages
Debossed cloth cover

The IDW edition is larger and heavier than the Sub Press edition. It's a nice book. You probably don't need it, but you know you need it. And that's a good price.

I'd also like to add that when my first copy of the IDW book arrived from Midtown Comics it was badly damaged. Midtown would only offer a small discount, or I could return it. IDW Limited replaced it for me for free, even though they didn't sell it to me. Since they published it, they wanted me to be satisfied.

edit: Sub Press = Novella & IDW = Graphic novel :thumbsup:

ELazansky
06-24-2016, 05:30 AM

The Sub Press edition does indeed contain Wraith. It isn't included in the title, but it appears after NOS4A2.

"The Limited edition of NOS4A2 will be oversize, printed on 80# Finch, with an unpublished novella, “Wraith,” that was cut from the original manuscript. It also includes an alternate ending to the novel, as well as illustrations, in both black and white and color, by Hill’s long-term collaborator on the award-winning comic, Locke & Key, Gabriel Rodriguez." 750 limitation.

The IDW version is:

Limited to 999 copies
Limited-edition, custom-designed slipcase
Mounted signature page signed by author Joe Hill and C.P. Wilson III, also includes a small head sketch from the artist
Full-color dust jacket and a newly illustrated map of Christmasland featured as the end pages
Debossed cloth cover

The IDW edition is larger and heavier than the Sub Press edition. It's a nice book. You probably don't need it, but you know you need it. And that's a good price.

I'd also like to add that when my first copy of the IDW book arrived from Midtown Comics it was badly damaged. Midtown would only offer a small discount, or I could return it. IDW Limited replaced it for me for free, even though they didn't sell it to me. Since they published it, they wanted me to be satisfied.

edit: Sub Press = Novella & IDW = Graphic novel :thumbsup:

I was referring to it not coming with the Graphic Novel, which is what made it different than the Sub Press copy. I should have been more clear.

Br!an
06-24-2016, 06:28 AM
I was referring to it not coming with the Graphic Novel, which is what made it different than the Sub Press copy. I should have been more clear.

I got that now, hence my edit. I wasn't entirely clear either.

Beverly Marsh
06-24-2016, 06:44 AM

I got that now, hence my edit. I wasn't entirely clear either.
Lol, I'm glad it wasn't just me! Now we're all on the same page(pun intended :P)
Thanks for the input guys! Brian is indeed correct(leave it to you to talk me into this :coo3l:) it's not a MUST have since I have the Sub Press edition but it would be lax of me not to get this so I can indeed own both S/L editions and at a nice price to boot.

zelig
06-24-2016, 06:57 AM
I think you should get the IDW edition. It's really well produced. I'm the opposite as I don't have the Sub Press one but have the IDW. I plan on getting a Sub Press copy at some point.

Beverly Marsh
06-24-2016, 07:14 AM
I think you should get the IDW edition. It's really well produced. I'm the opposite as I don't have the Sub Press one but have the IDW. I plan on getting a Sub Press copy at some point.

I did indeed take the plunge! I'm excited to check it out after seeing how much you guys like it. The Sub Press is a very nice edition as well. They're a bit pricier on the market these days but occasionally one will pop up in the $300-350 range WITH the slipcase(a must have!). I think Bett's sold one for $315? Maybe $350, can't remember exactly.

jsmcmullen92
06-24-2016, 07:46 AM

I did indeed take the plunge! I'm excited to check it out after seeing how much you guys like it. The Sub Press is a very nice edition as well. They're a bit pricier on the market these days but occasionally one will pop up in the $300-350 range WITH the slipcase(a must have!). I think Bett's sold one for $315? Maybe $350, can't remember exactly.

See I really am holding out for the Lettered SP edition. That book is one of my favorite lettered editions. There has been a set on ebay for a long time but way over priced

Lookwhoitis
06-24-2016, 08:18 AM
Are the IDW editions planned to publish the whole series?

It just bothers me to no end that none of these publishers put out the full run in Deluxe editions.

Why the heck do I want to collect S/N LEs if I am going to have just plain jane hardcovers of the last few chapters in the saga sitting on the shelf next to them?

mikeC
06-24-2016, 08:31 AM
Fireman audio is $30 now on amazon.

Brian861
06-24-2016, 09:08 AM
SIGH. I should have known there would be a gazillion variants. Same with Wraith of which I have all of those. I am getting the regular and sub variants from SK Catalog so now I'm going to go on the hunt for these other ones. Thanks for sharing Brian and I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the first issue!

P.S. I don't know if you saw in the earlier posts but there is a hardcover Scripts version of TFTD coming out in Oct I believe. You can pre order on Amazon or maybe your local mom and pop can reserve that as well but you KNOW you're gonna have to have it ;)

You're most welcome, Bev. It was also advertised in the comic and I think I will have them do that! Starting to dabble into collecting Locke & Key and man, talk about a million variants. Might have to hit you up for all the variant info on Wraith if and when I get there. Plus there's Road Rage and Throttle right?

Beverly Marsh
06-24-2016, 09:33 AM

You're most welcome, Bev. It was also advertised in the comic and I think I will have them do that! Starting to dabble into collecting Locke & Key and man, talk about a million variants. Might have to hit you up for all the variant info on Wraith if and when I get there. Plus there's Road Rage and Throttle right?

Hey Brian! Happy Friday :)
Oh lordy, I didn't even TRY with Locke and Key. lol. I bought a handy little softcover slipcased set of the series from Amazon and called it a day. I wanted to get the hardcovers but there are just so many editions/versions that I gave up. I'll definitely get whatever form/variants they have of the upcoming L&K story though.
Road Rage/Throttle is a four issue series of which, of course, there are a few variants(retailer incentives, jetpack variant etc). I have the hardcover graphic novel of this and not all of the variants.
Wraith is a 7 issue series. If I can picture my set there are 5 variants of #1 including regular and subscription, reg and sub for 2-6, and for #7 there is an extra incentive variant as well.
Don't forget The Cape and Kodiak! Kodiak was a one shot. However these are handily collected in a hardcover called Joe Hill's Terrifyingly Tragic Treasury edition.
I'm probably missing something but there's a start. When you're ready for Wraith I'll send you pics :)

Brian861
06-24-2016, 09:44 AM

Hey Brian! Happy Friday :)
Oh lordy, I didn't even TRY with Locke and Key. lol. I bought a handy little softcover slipcased set of the series from Amazon and called it a day. I wanted to get the hardcovers but there are just so many editions/versions that I gave up. I'll definitely get whatever form/variants they have of the upcoming L&K story though.
Road Rage/Throttle is a four issue series of which, of course, there are a few variants(retailer incentives, jetpack variant etc). I have the hardcover graphic novel of this and not all of the variants.
Wraith is a 7 issue series. If I can picture my set there are 5 variants of #1 including regular and subscription and for #7 there is an extra incentive variant as well.
Don't forget The Cape and Kodiak! Kodiak was a one shot. However these are handily collected in a hardcover called Joe Hill's Terrifyingly Tragic Treasury edition.
I'm probably missing something but there's a start. When you're ready for Wraith I'll send you pics :)

Happy Friday to you as well! Thanks for all the info. I'll definitely hit ya up for pics later on. I'll be all over the new L&K one shot as well!

Brian861
06-25-2016, 08:01 PM
Question for all you Hill experts out there. Today I received a signed copy of The Fireman with the HC ISBN 978-0-06-220063-1. Question being; so the publisher issued a signed copy along with B&N, BAM, and Indigo with ISBN being the only difference between the three? I see this listed on the CP of course but it doesn't make mention of a signed HC copy with the above ISBN. Thanks!

zelig
06-25-2016, 09:06 PM
I have a signed copy with that ISBN and I got it from Water Street Books.

Brian861
06-25-2016, 09:15 PM

:orely: My unsigned reading copy that I got from B&N has the same ISBN as the signed that I have. Maybe Dez can chime in to let us (me) know if the CP is different for the B&N Signed or if the DJ is the only place where the ISBN is listed differently.

dnemec
06-26-2016, 05:34 AM

:orely: My unsigned reading copy that I got from B&N has the same ISBN as the signed that I have. Maybe Dez can chime in to let us (me) know if the CP is different for the B&N Signed or if the DJ is the only place where the ISBN is listed differently.

What, you think I have a dozen different copies of this book?! Well, I don't. I only have 5. So there! :P

I actually have both BAM and B&N signed copies. One of them (can't remember which is which anymore) has that ISBN, but I think it is the BAM copy. The other ISBN is 9780062565822, which I believe to be the B&N copy because of the damage sustained enroute thanks to their terrific packing job. Like Paul, my Waterstreet Books copy has that ISBN. Also the copy that Chris hand inscribed at the book signing in Nashua has that ISBN too. I have no idea what any of this means, though.

dnemec
06-26-2016, 06:03 AM
Anyone looking for the PS edition of Horns? There's one on Biblio with a pretty good price, but I'd ask for pictures. Then again, I always ask them for pictures.

HORNS (http://www.biblio.com/book/horns-joe-hill/d/326290906?aid=wm&utm_source=wants&utm_campaign=wants&utm_medium=email&utm_content=details)

Incidentally, I can tell you of an error in the listing - there were 500 signed by only Joe Hill, not 300 (at least that's what it says on the signature page of mine).

Br!an
06-26-2016, 08:20 AM
Anyone looking for the PS edition of Horns? There's one on Biblio with a pretty good price, but I'd ask for pictures. Then again, I always ask them for pictures.

HORNS (http://www.biblio.com/book/horns-joe-hill/d/326290906?aid=wm&utm_source=wants&utm_campaign=wants&utm_medium=email&utm_content=details)

Incidentally, I can tell you of an error in the listing - there were 500 signed by only Joe Hill, not 300 (at least that's what it says on the signature page of mine).

There are 500 total. 200 Deluxe traycased signed by Joe Hill and Vinny Chong and 300 slipcased signed by Joe Hill.

Limited to 300 copies signed by Joe Hill would be the slipcased version.

edit:That's still a good price for that version. I've sold them for $140 recently.

dnemec
06-26-2016, 08:26 AM

There are 500 total. 200 Deluxe traycased signed by Joe Hill and Vinny Chong and 300 slipcased signed by Joe Hill.

Limited to 300 copies signed by Joe Hill would be the slipcased version.

Sorry I stand (or rather sit) corrected.

Regardless, it's pretty close to the issue price. Thought someone might need it!

Br!an
06-26-2016, 08:40 AM
Sorry I stand (or rather sit) corrected.

Regardless, it's pretty close to the issue price. Thought someone might need it!

That's still a good price for that version. I've sold them for $140 recently.

Brian861
06-26-2016, 09:15 AM

What, you think I have a dozen different copies of this book?! Well, I don't. I only have 5. So there! :P

I actually have both BAM and B&N signed copies. One of them (can't remember which is which anymore) has that ISBN, but I think it is the BAM copy. The other ISBN is 9780062565822, which I believe to be the B&N copy because of the damage sustained enroute thanks to their terrific packing job. Like Paul, my Waterstreet Books copy has that ISBN. Also the copy that Chris hand inscribed at the book signing in Nashua has that ISBN too. I have no idea what any of this means, though.

Only 5, Dez?! Man, you're slippin' LOL. I think I'll be up to 8 once it's all said and done. I did find out with a little research that the ISBN is the only difference and listed on the DJ between all the copies.

dnemec
06-26-2016, 09:20 AM

Only 5, Dez?! Man, you're slippin' LOL. I think I'll be up to 8 once it's all said and done. I did find out with a little research that the ISBN is the only difference and listed on the DJ between all the copies.

Well, I do have 2 on the way, but those are UKs...

Brian861
06-26-2016, 09:29 AM
Well, I do have 2 on the way, but those are UKs...

:thumbsup: My count included the UKs. Plus 3 slipcases for each from Jeff :).

Brian861
06-26-2016, 10:18 AM
Jeff sent me these pics of the final product:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/UK_Fireman_1.JPGhttp://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/UK_Fireman_2.JPG

dnemec
06-26-2016, 03:58 PM
They look terrific! Dammit...I'm going to end up buying these, aren't I?!

RC65
06-26-2016, 09:44 PM
Brian, can you provide ordering info on the UK HC slipcase that you provided pics of above? I need one of those for my Goldsboro edition.

Brian861
06-27-2016, 12:02 AM
They look terrific! Dammit...I'm going to end up buying these, aren't I?!

Some of his best work I think, Dez outside of the US SK cases. I've got three on order :). Plus two EOW!

Brian, can you provide ordering info on the UK HC slipcase that you provided pics of above? I need one of those for my Goldsboro edition.

Sure, Ron. The gentleman's name is Jeff Whiley and you can email him with your order at jeffrey.whiley@ntlworld.com.

RC65
06-27-2016, 06:39 AM
Thanks, Brian -- just sent him an email.

Brian861
06-27-2016, 09:15 AM
Thanks, Brian -- just sent him an email.

Most welcome :)

Brian861
06-28-2016, 10:47 AM

Thanks much again, Chris! Book arrived today and the doodle is freakin' awesome!!

Cwalker
06-28-2016, 11:12 AM

Thanks much again, Chris! Book arrived today and the doodle is freakin' awesome!!

Glad it made it ok, and more glad that you like it. I have decided to go down to Brookline next month when he will be there with Paul Tremblay and a couple of others and ask him to add the pheonix to the copy he signed for me in May.
I will NOT be driving down this time and trying to find parking. It's Amtrak all the way this time! :)

RC65
06-28-2016, 12:21 PM
I have decided to go down to Brookline next month when he will be there with Paul Tremblay and a couple of others

You should pick up Tremblay's new one while you're there...supposed to be just as good as HEAD FULL OF GHOSTS, and that's saying something. I ordered my signed 1st HC from an earlier tour stop of his...should be here on Thursday, if the tracking info isn't lying.

WeDealInLead
06-28-2016, 12:41 PM
I tried getting a couple of days off work for that signing but had no luck. I'd have driven ten hours one way to get all those signatures. Malerman and Tremblay in one place is a no-brainer. Unfortunately, my co-workers can't be bothered to help me out. Oh well.

Cwalker
06-28-2016, 02:31 PM
I have decided to go down to Brookline next month when he will be there with Paul Tremblay and a couple of others

You should pick up Tremblay's new one while you're there...supposed to be just as good as HEAD FULL OF GHOSTS, and that's saying something. I ordered my signed 1st HC from an earlier tour stop of his...should be here on Thursday, if the tracking info isn't lying.

I got one the day it dropped. :). I'm about a third of the way through and it is very enjoyable so far.
I was going to go see him in NH tonight, but logistics failed.

Br!an
06-28-2016, 02:33 PM
I just ordered Head Full of Ghosts. It sounds like something I would like.

Cwalker
06-28-2016, 02:39 PM
I tried getting a couple of days off work for that signing but had no luck. I'd have driven ten hours one way to get all those signatures. Malerman and Tremblay in one place is a no-brainer. Unfortunately, my co-workers can't be bothered to help me out. Oh well.

I was at a halloween event last year in MA and I was able to meet and get signed copies from Tremblay, Golden, Hill. This will be my first Malerman and Joe specificaly mentioned Heuvelt's "Hex" at his event last week. I take that as a good endorsment. :)

RC65
06-28-2016, 03:45 PM
HEX has been getting a lot of really good buzz. I picked up a signed 1st UK HC from Goldsboro just based off all the positive comments I'd read/heard. Heuvelt's on a U.S. tour, and I may go see him at his Seattle stop in July. Trying to think of the justification, though, to brave the rush hour traffic and bridge tolls, since I already have a signed UK HC and don't want to spring for the U.S. HC...so we'll see. I just started reading HEX last night, so we'll see how good the book is before I make the decision; if it's really good, might be neat to just get a personally inscribed bookmark to lay in the book (want to keep the book signed only).

Brian861
06-28-2016, 10:17 PM
Glad it made it ok, and more glad that you like it. I have decided to go down to Brookline next month when he will be there with Paul Tremblay and a couple of others and ask him to add the pheonix to the copy he signed for me in May. I will NOT be driving down this time and trying to find parking. It's Amtrak all the way this time! :)

Smart man! Hope it works out for ya.

swintek
06-29-2016, 09:48 AM
Is anyone in the US still waiting for their Goldsboro Fireman? Beginning to suspect a potential problem..

zelig
06-29-2016, 09:54 AM
Yeah, I'm still waiting.

mkberger
06-29-2016, 10:30 AM
Is anyone in the US still waiting for their Goldsboro Fireman? Beginning to suspect a potential problem..

Mine arrived today. A beautiful book.

Roseannebarr
06-29-2016, 10:53 AM

Mine arrived today. A beautiful book.

still waiting! too. :(

dnemec
06-29-2016, 11:04 AM
I'm still waiting too!

Br!an
06-29-2016, 11:15 AM
I'm still waiting.

swintek
06-29-2016, 11:22 AM
Thanks, all. Guess it's just an extra slow boat.

zelig
06-29-2016, 12:15 PM
Goldsboro just arrived! Packed well. No damage. I like that this edition has a limitation page. Even though it's really just the 1st UK with the red edges. I'm sure those who are still waiting will get yours any day now.

Patrick
06-29-2016, 02:06 PM
Goldsboro just arrived! Packed well. No damage. I like that this edition has a limitation page. Even though it's really just the 1st UK with the red edges. I'm sure those who are still waiting will get yours any day now.
Mine arrived, too. I like the limitation page as well.

swintek
06-29-2016, 07:11 PM
Cue sinister smile: You'll not believe me when I tell you all that I only posted that query to magically jump-start the arrival of the book. It works more often than not. You have to make an official evocation, with witnesses. Of course, as planned, my copy arrived today as well. All who received theirs today- you're welcome. :wink:

What a good-looking book! Nice that it came pre "brodarted" as well. Thinking about springing for one of those nifty UK-specific slipcases I saw here earlier. Good quality?

zelig
06-29-2016, 07:17 PM
Thanks Ron! It works like magic. And yes those slipcases from Jeff are great. I have many from him and the quality is top notch.

swintek
06-29-2016, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the testimony, Paul. I'm in. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble getting into this book, and my reading time is incredibly sparse nowadays so I have to choose wisely. This is feeling like one of those that I'd probably like- with a lot more time for patience in my life. Just ain't got it now. Later, I hope.

Incidentally, I saw up earlier that you liked HORNS. That's my favorite. Such an out-of-the-box book, but very satisfying.

Brian861
06-29-2016, 10:23 PM
Still waiting as well. Maybe tomorrow since the gears seemed to have been greased :). I'll 2nd the slipcases from Jeff as well. Good stuff.

zelig
06-30-2016, 02:08 AM
Incidentally, I saw up earlier that you liked HORNS. That's my favorite. Such an out-of-the-box book, but very satisfying.

Oh yes, I loved Horns so much. It has unexpectedly become one of my all-time favorite books.

ELazansky
06-30-2016, 02:55 AM
Thanks for the testimony, Paul. I'm in. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble getting into this book, and my reading time is incredibly sparse nowadays so I have to choose wisely. This is feeling like one of those that I'd probably like- with a lot more time for patience in my life. Just ain't got it now. Later, I hope.

I finished The Fireman yesterday. One of the least favorite novels I've read in a very long time. I felt nothing for the characters at all.

Beverly Marsh
06-30-2016, 04:55 AM
Jeff sent me these pics of the final product:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/UK_Fireman_1.JPGhttp://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/UK_Fireman_2.JPG

Looks fantastic! He finished up mine yesterday. It's going to look fabulous with the red edged edition(and any other one for that matter). Can't wait!

Patrick
06-30-2016, 06:34 AM

Oh yes, I loved Horns so much. It has unexpectedly become one of my all-time favorite books.
HORNS is my favorite of Joe Hill's novels thus far.

Brian861
06-30-2016, 09:46 AM
Looks fantastic! He finished up mine yesterday. It's going to look fabulous with the red edged edition(and any other one for that matter). Can't wait!

Indeed, Bev!!

swintek
06-30-2016, 11:42 AM

I finished The Fireman yesterday. One of the least favorite novels I've read in a very long time. I felt nothing for the characters at all.

That's pretty disheartening.

ELazansky
06-30-2016, 12:02 PM
Some spoilers here, so stay away if you haven't read the book:

I was expecting that at some point, Jacob was going to be this really evil person. Maybe capturing Harper and some or more of her Camp friends, torturing them, etc. Something to really make him evil. Instead, when he finally shows up and looks like he is going to catch them, he's killed. Just like that. Then they move on like he was nothing. There was no antagonist like Charlie Manx that would cause me to rally around the good guys. It was just so boring in the first half. When the Camp was attacked, that was nice, and I thought it was going to lead to a bigger "the chase is on." Nope, nothing. If this was the first Joe Hill book I had ever read, I probably wouldn't read another.

I know a lot of folks really like the book, and that's cool. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion. But I just didn't like it at all.

dnemec
06-30-2016, 03:42 PM
STILL no Goldsboro book. Dammit!

Joe315
06-30-2016, 03:45 PM
I got mine a couple days ago. Takes around 10-14 business days for Goldsboro Books orders to reach me from London.

Br!an
06-30-2016, 04:13 PM
Mine arrived today, with a stain on the page block. :pullhair:

RC65
06-30-2016, 04:22 PM

There was no antagonist like Charlie Manx that would cause me to rally around the good guys. It was just so boring in the first half. If this was the first Joe Hill book I had ever read, I probably wouldn't read another. I know a lot of folks really like the book, and that's cool. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion. But I just didn't like it at all.[/SPOILER]

I won't belabor the point by reposting my brief review that I posted earlier, but just suffice it to say I agree with the above. It's really unfortunate, and I'm still surprised, given my love of Hill's previous work. This one, to my mind, just didn't work on a number of levels.

A silver lining: I received my Goldsboro signed/numbered edition today, and based on my reaction to this book, feel no (well, little, anyhow) compulsion to now pick up the PS Publishing S/L as I had intended. This cheaper edition -- still signed, still numbered -- will, I believe, do just fine this time around. It's going to feel a bit odd to pass it up and not have it on my shelf to match other my other Hill limiteds...but unless it's dirt cheap (which I suspect will not be the case) I just don't see it happening.

Ben Staad
06-30-2016, 05:18 PM
I've had this book now for over a week from the library and I just can't get into it. I loved 20th Century Ghosts and HSB and enjoyed Horns. NOS4R2 didn't work for me at all and I may not finish this one. Would like to read some more of his short work.

There was no antagonist like Charlie Manx that would cause me to rally around the good guys. It was just so boring in the first half. If this was the first Joe Hill book I had ever read, I probably wouldn't read another. I know a lot of folks really like the book, and that's cool. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion. But I just didn't like it at all.[/SPOILER]

I won't belabor the point by reposting my brief review that I posted earlier, but just suffice it to say I agree with the above. It's really unfortunate, and I'm still surprised, given my love of Hill's previous work. This one, to my mind, just didn't work on a number of levels.

A silver lining: I received my Goldsboro signed/numbered edition today, and based on my reaction to this book, feel no (well, little, anyhow) compulsion to now pick up the PS Publishing S/L as I had intended. This cheaper edition -- still signed, still numbered -- will, I believe, do just fine this time around. It's going to feel a bit odd to pass it up and not have it on my shelf to match other my other Hill limiteds...but unless it's dirt cheap (which I suspect will not be the case) I just don't see it happening.

NeedfulKings
06-30-2016, 07:51 PM
Received my Cemetery Dance 1/1500 bookplate edition. Impulse order many moons ago - all said, it's not too impressive. Bookplate is a bit crooked and the first end pages are starting to separate near the bottom (maybe from applying the bookplate). I won't complain much more since it was at cover price.

So, I now have 5 signed versions:

US Hardcover with upside down signature page
US Hardcover flat signed
US Hardcover inscribed
US Hardcover with CD Bookplate
UK Hardcover, red edge signed edition

Is that enough? No! lol

frik
06-30-2016, 08:01 PM

Very soon, Dez: I received mine only yesterday - and I'm from the Netherlands.
Your copy has a longer way to travel.

sk

Brian861
06-30-2016, 10:41 PM

I feel ya, Sister!

Brian861
06-30-2016, 10:42 PM
Mine arrived today, with a stain on the page block. :pullhair:

Was the stain red in color? :evil:

Beverly Marsh
07-01-2016, 03:55 AM

It wasn't my favorite either. I liked it but I didn't LOVE it. Still, I will order the PS edition to go with the rest of the PS Hill S/L's that I own and I have loved the artwork that they have teased. Once that becomes available that will bring me to a total of four for The Fireman(one inscribed at a signing, one inscribed from Waterstreet, a UK red edged, and the PS one). I think that will finish me up for this book.

Br!an
07-01-2016, 04:16 AM
Received my Cemetery Dance 1/1500 bookplate edition. Impulse order many moons ago - all said, it's not too impressive. Bookplate is a bit crooked

Mine's a little crooked too.

Brian861
07-01-2016, 11:40 PM
Received my Cemetery Dance 1/1500 bookplate edition. Impulse order many moons ago - all said, it's not too impressive. Bookplate is a bit crooked

Out of curiosity, did you guys order the slipcase along with your book? I haven't received a shipping notice yet and thinking that might be the reason why.

Br!an
07-02-2016, 02:35 AM

Out of curiosity, did you guys order the slipcase along with your book? I haven't received a shipping notice yet and thinking that might be the reason why.

I ordered the slipcase separately.

Brian861
07-02-2016, 08:31 AM

I ordered the slipcase separately.

:thumbsup:

craigobau
07-02-2016, 09:04 AM
My local Waterstones has 2 copies of The Fireman, flat-signed with the red edging for £20 each.

Happy to pick up a copy for anyone looking for one of these.

PM me if interested.

Beverly Marsh
07-04-2016, 03:48 PM
Okay, so there is a thread asking how many SK signatures folks have. How about how many Hill sigs? They are a tad easier to come by ;) Perhaps this very question is posed elsewhere in this thread but it's July 4th and I feel too lazy to look through this entire thing.
So, how many Joe Hill sigs do you have and what are they on?

Dan
07-04-2016, 05:27 PM
Okay, so there is a thread asking how many SK signatures folks have. How about how many Hill sigs? They are a tad easier to come by ;) Perhaps this very question is posed elsewhere in this thread but it's July 4th and I feel too lazy to look through this entire thing.

Maybe a subthread with how many non-signed Hill books you have. They are far more rare. :)

Brian861
07-04-2016, 07:38 PM

Maybe a subthread with how many non-signed Hill books you have. They are far more rare. :)

Going to have to agree with Dan there, Bev :) But I do love the fact that he signs so much of his stuff. No worry there about someone turning and trying to make a quick buck on something they had absolutely no part in of the creative process. You have Joe sign/inscribe because you want it; no other reason. Sometimes ya even score a cool freakin' doodle to boot! :).

In regards to your question (you asked so it's only polite to reply :)); I think once it's all said and done, I'll end up with 8 copies of The Fireman signed. 2 which are inscribed and 1 includes the sweet Phoenix doodle. I have 5 copies of this other books not yet signed but I'm just starting to get into collecting him. If he comes near my hometown, I'll definitely try to score a sig for those as well :).

Cwalker
07-05-2016, 05:16 AM
Signed by Joe...

20th CG ARC
20th CG 1/1
20th CG 10th
HSB 1/1
Horns 1/1
NOS4R2 1/1
Fireman 1/1 (x 2)
Smoke and Mirrors
Carnivale
NOS4R2/Wraith
Postscript 10

That's it for now, and yes while I do think about the future of these a little, it is as a fan that I have collected them

Beverly Marsh
07-05-2016, 05:16 AM
Lol, touché fellas! I also like that he freely signs and there are some cool little items that have been done as well so he's a fun one to collect.
EIGHT Brian?? Are you positive that's enough? :P

Beverly Marsh
07-05-2016, 05:18 AM
Signed by Joe...

20th CG ARC
20th CG 1/1
20th CG 10th
HSB 1/1
Horns 1/1
NOS4R2 1/1
Fireman 1/1 (x 2)
Smoke and Mirrors
Carnivale
NOS4R2/Wraith
Postscript 10

That's it for now, and yes while I do think about the future of these a little, it is as a fan that I have collected them

Well done Chris and I totally agree on the fan appreciation!