PDA

View Full Version : From A Buick 8 - Lets Discuss! *Spoilers*

HanzouNorak
02-26-2008, 02:48 PM
checked and theres no thread for this. (note: odetta i used your Lets Disscuss! thingy, hope thats ok)

From a Buick 8, whos read it? did you like it? what do you think the car is?
is there a connection to The Dark Tower?

NeedfulKings
02-26-2008, 03:51 PM
I just read it this year and think it's one of King's best! It was such a simple story, yet rich in characters and full of some weird shit!!! :D

I don't see any DT ties. Yes, the car was a portal, but to what world, I know not. It was just a fun read and the ending was satisfying to me.

Odetta
02-26-2008, 05:40 PM
Not a problem, Hanzou...

I have not read this yet. Do people think it's worth a read?

HanzouNorak
02-26-2008, 07:28 PM
to needful: read Hearts In Atlantis

and yes its defininetly worth a read, theres so many weird things in it. it will have some tower fans thinking, other people will be finding a connection to the first story in HIA. but the best part, you'll be thinking.

NeedfulKings
02-26-2008, 07:43 PM
I did read HIA a while ago. I'm assuming you're referring to Low Men in Yellow Coats? I don't remember getting a connection. I should go back and re-read it.

Odetta, I think Buick 8 is a great story and one that should not be passed on. King's portrayal of the characters is really some of his best work.

I really liked it.

HanzouNorak
02-26-2008, 07:47 PM
would you happen to recall those cars they had in Low Men In Yellow Coats? did the Buick seem kinda........ i dunno..... Low?

NeedfulKings
02-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Good point! LOL, I do now! :D

Jean
02-26-2008, 11:55 PM
I just read it this year and think it's one of King's best! It was such a simple story, yet rich in characters and full of some weird shit!!! :D
hear, hear! loved the novel, too. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Woofer
02-27-2008, 04:15 AM
would you happen to recall those cars they had in Low Men In Yellow Coats? did the Buick seem kinda........ i dunno..... Low?

Didn't I read on this site somewhere that King confirmed that it is? I've not had sufficient coffee to locate it, but I'm almost positive I did.

ETA: Oops, forgot to add that you should definitely give it a read. I very much enjoyed it.

mia/susannah
02-27-2008, 05:06 AM
Not a problem, Hanzou...

I have not read this yet. Do people think it's worth a read?

In my opinion, it is most definatly worth reading. I read it a few years ago for the first time and have read it about 3 times altogether. It is a simple read but it is a very good story. Since you have not read it I won't go into details but I think you will enjoy it. It is a little hard to get into at first but keep reading, it does get good. :thumbsup:

mia/susannah
02-27-2008, 05:08 AM

I don't see any DT ties. Yes, the car was a portal, but to what world, I know not. It was just a fun read and the ending was satisfying to me.

There was a tie to the Dark Tower series,

Todash, low men

Odetta
02-27-2008, 08:05 AM
hmmm... I'll have to pick it up, then :)

tippy4
02-27-2008, 08:19 AM
Do spoilers really need to be marked in this thread as we are discussing the book? My thoughts are that if you have not read the book, and you don't want to hear about it, you probably should not be reading a thread where that book is being discussed.

That being said......

It is defintely worth a read.

I was a litle put-off by the little trick he pulls at the end....making you think one character has died when it was in fact a different character. But I liked it a lot!

The audio version is excellent. There are at least five different narrators, dong the various voice parts. They all do a great job.

I think that the Dark Tower connection is kind of weak, but King says it's there...so who are we to argue?

Brice
02-27-2008, 08:22 AM
I'd say since the thread title warns of spoilers that there is no need to mark them. :)

I think though that the ones marked are discussing other books.

Storyslinger
02-27-2008, 09:16 AM
I thought the story was well written, and it hold the record for the fastest I've ever read a book.

I think the car was
a thinny like in W & G

John Blaze
02-27-2008, 09:27 AM
I happen to like this book. As everyone else says, it's simple to read and very entertaining. I think he could have expanded alot with this book, covered much more, but it seems like he got bored with it. The trick at the ending really confused me for a bit, I thought maybe I had skipped something, until i got it figured out.

Grillslinger
02-27-2008, 10:03 AM
I love Buick 8. I love the idea thagt "There are Buicks everywhere".

We don't understand things sometimes. Sometimes, strange things happen. We don't always have the satisfaction of knowing why.

Cutter
02-28-2008, 11:02 AM
The audio version is excellent. There are at least five different narrators, dong the various voice parts. They all do a great job.

yea this looks very interesting, I bought it a while ago and it was cool to see they had different voice actors for the characters. This is definitely going to be the way I re-read the book, audio style. :cowboy:

Actually This book and The Colorado Kid reminded me a lot of each other. The books are about the mystery, and not real answers. So it keeps you guessing even after you've read the book.

Bethany
02-28-2008, 02:01 PM
this is one of my favorite ones! and i thought the DT connection was blatant:

the thinny, the low men cars, and the description of the driver (as well as the low men) sound like the disguises of the taheen.

blackrose22
03-30-2008, 02:56 AM
It's been awhile since I read the story and remember really liking it. Going to reread it now to refresh my memory.

razz
05-01-2008, 05:36 AM
any opening comments?

HanzouNorak
05-01-2008, 02:23 PM
yes, i started this thread a month ago.

Here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=2231&highlight=from+a+buick+8+lets+disscuss)

Jean
05-01-2008, 09:59 PM
precisely.

merging....................
...................complete

razz
05-02-2008, 05:29 AM
sorry. started a new thread. did't see this one.
buick origin possibilities:

1. Todash
2. The source of "The Mist"
3. Keystone Tower world

Darkthoughts
05-10-2008, 01:14 AM
I read this book once, quite a long time ago and thought it was very boring...I didn't actually finish it. However, that was before I got into DT, so I have it on my "to read" pile and think I may appreciate it more on a reread.

MonteGss
05-10-2008, 07:56 AM
I can honestly see why some people wouldn't like this one...I personally liked it after only one read. Not the greatest King book, but's it's good. Now.....will I reread it anytime soon? Probably not, there are so many other King books that deserve a reread before I consider this one. :)

Brice
05-10-2008, 08:06 AM
I liked it the first time and even more on rereads.

Wuducynn
05-10-2008, 10:15 AM
I loved it the first time I read it. What made it even more special for me was the knowledge that the car is a "can-toi-mobile".

Kronz
02-09-2010, 01:49 AM
This sat on my shelf for years before I got around to reading it last week. I didn't expect it to be great, but was pleasantly surprised to find that I loved it.

The obvious DT connections are that the car fits the description of Can Toi cars in HIA and WotC. The description of Mr Oil's Fine is also almost 100% in line with Callahan's descriptions of the low men, even if Mr Oil's Fine wasn't wearing yellow like the ones chasing Ted in HIA.

The other connections I caught are character names: Sandy Dearborn, Herb Avery (remember Herc Avery?), Brian Lippy (a certain monstrous horse-esque beast you might recall shared that last name). The car also seemed to have powers not to unlike the ones demonstrated by Black Thirteen and Maerlyn's Grapefruit in terms of mesmerism.

Jean
02-09-2010, 03:02 AM
This sat on my shelf for years before I got around to reading it last week. I didn't expect it to be great, but was pleasantly surprised to find that I loved it.
Good... it increases the number of us who love Buick by about 25 per cent... http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wink-1.gif

Sam
02-09-2010, 05:27 AM
I've read and re-read Buick several times and find myself liking it more with every read. The manner in which it was written lends itself well to episodic reading as well as the all-consuming need to find out what happens next reading. Personally I tend toward the latter on the first read, but that's me.

Kronz
02-09-2010, 06:16 PM
It doesn't surprise me a lot of people don't like it...but a lot of people don't like to have to use their own imaginations so heavily when reading a story. King generally hands a lot more hard facts by the end of a book, but pulling that away from the reader was ballsy. The only things I'd change would be to put a little more Can Toi in the book and for the car to have gone home rather than fall apart.

Sam
02-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Honestly, I rather like the idea of the car falling apart. I think the car is less alive than it is a just gateway. The gateway would remain where it is (in our world) until it was unuseable/broken down.

Kronz
02-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Yeah I see what you mean . I suppose the ending fits perfectly with whole theme of the book, though I think the theme could have been honored with a different ending too. I mean, I didn't expect all of a sudden a bunch of Low Men or Todash monsters to raid the barracks or something. I did like the idea that it was mesmerizing Ned to burn it up though, which makes me wonder about the car's ability to think, or to be used as a tool by something else that's thinking. The alien screamer definitely raises a lot of unanswered questions, which is of course what I think I liked so well about the novel.

Flavio
03-01-2010, 05:58 PM
I liked the book... And I loved the part when it says that when he was scaping from the cars seat, that was trying to take the policeman to the other world, he saw the boot and hat of the other officer...

PD: The car was... the small brother of Blaine maybe... The car thinks and is evil and is small... Blaine thinks and is evil and is big...
It makes a lot of sense :P

Ageless Stranger
03-01-2010, 06:47 PM
I liked it the first time and even more on rereads.

I loved it the first time I read it. What made it even more special for me was the knowledge that the car is a "can-toi-mobile".

Good... it increases the number of us who love Buick by about 25 per cent... http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wink-1.gif

Add me to the list of people who've read it multiple times and loved it. I thought it was great! Oh, and since I've quoted everybody in this thread:

Me too!

WeDealInLead
12-20-2010, 01:53 PM
I liked the book but I don't see a re-read in the future.

BigSchu22
12-22-2010, 10:34 AM
I thought it was a great book, especially after reading the DT series... I've been reading through all his other books with DT connections and they seemed like they were there and strong, but I did just read DT and HIA recently.

I wish we could have a bit more on how the vehicle is operated, especially since most of the car is "for show" only. It must be some sort of telepathy or mind control by the can-toi drivers because they are clearly driving around in HIA. Maybe the creature that the car really is only responds to certain drivers' commands or thoughts.

It must be more than a gateway though, we see in HIA that one of the cars actually reaches out and grabs something from the tire at one point... it must be some sort of being that can actually manipulate todash or open the doors between the worlds if not some technology from the old ones.

Anyway, jut my thoughts... great book and expansion of the DT universe!

bettinas.ashes
01-22-2011, 10:55 PM
I really liked the book. I read it shortly after I finished the Dark Tower series, and perhaps that's the reason why I thought I saw a lot of connections to the Dark Tower.

However, if I hadn't read the Dark Tower, I think there's a fair chance I would have been rather confused by the whole concept of what's happening with the car.
I only read the book last year, and do want to read it again, but there are other books that have higher priority - at least for now.

lordmerchant
04-30-2011, 06:50 AM
Just finished htis novel myself last week. In my opinion it was pretty decent - kept me entertained for the week I read it. It does not really touch the likes of the stand, UTD, etc but its quite short and sweet with a few DT connections in there.

Jean
04-30-2011, 07:28 AM
short and sweet sounds right. I enjoyed it immensely.

WeDealInLead
04-30-2011, 04:19 PM
I had time to think more if I like it or not. My opinion is for the most part unchanged. The story is still solid but nowhere near The Shining, The Stand, The Dead Zone, Christine, It and other classics. I always thought King would overwrite a lot but this book (and TGWLTG) were underwritten. I'd compare the simplicity of language to The Dead Zone's but story telling and story itself is just not that interesting. The car just sits there, you know? Some weird non-worldy stuff comes out, some people disappear, car starts falling apart. That's it.

lordmerchant
05-01-2011, 02:06 PM
I can kind of see your point there, it certainly is not action packed or fast paced it's quite the contorary it is slow and deliberate. IMO King actually aknowledges this in the book Ned is always asking Sanddy to cut to the chase, tell him what happens next, this angers Sandy and I'm sure a lot of readers also.
The ways you summarised it is right "some weird non-worldy stuff comes out, some people disappear, car starts falling apart. That's it." to me that is the structure of a ghost story which is in essence what From a Buick 8 is, a group of people telling a spooky story to a kid.

Jean
05-01-2011, 09:20 PM
what lordmerchant said. In addition to this, what I personally love most about the book is, as always in case of King novels, the human aspect. The memories of those you loved, your responsibility to them, this aspect.

WeDealInLead
05-02-2011, 06:19 AM
That's actually one of the King's highpoints for me. I just think the last chapter of The Dead Zone for example made me feel more than this entire book. Or the ending of It (the bike scene).

Jean
05-02-2011, 07:06 AM
absolutely

(not that the DZ or It weren't great novels already, but these scenes were, like, their true heart)

mtdman
06-28-2011, 09:27 PM
I agree with the sentiment that the audio book version is well done. It totally drew me in.

mattgreenbean
07-29-2014, 07:33 AM
I liked that it was a bunch of little stories about the Buick and the ppl associated with it. It paced well and had enough excitement to keep my attention. It would be great if Bachman wrote the parallel story of what was going on on the other side of the Buick's portal. It did kinda suck that they never told anyone bigger than them about it, but if choosing to hide it, this is probably how I'd deal with it as well.

As to the connections, I'd think that the Buick and driver may be closer to what Jake is in Talisman. The driver seemed less like a low-men and more like a traveler. Would a low-men really leave one of their vehicles behind for a hume to fiddle around with?

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-29-2014, 10:03 AM
I didnt dislike it, but I didnt find it especially interesting either. I feel similar about it as I do about HIA. Which is to say "meh". Take it or leave it. Average. Probably will never get around to a reread. I think I would actually be more interested in rereading a book that I actively disliked, like the Regulators, to see if it would improve on a reread. I dont think Buick 8 has anything else to offer me.

Roland of Gilead 33
05-17-2015, 10:17 PM
i just started this yesterday in fact. i'm only on page 35 in fact. i've never read this one before even though i bought it brand spanking NEW way back in (2002) and i dunno what to think of it just yet. so far i don't much care for it but given that i'm only 35 pages it and in King's books and most authors if you really think about it, it does take awhile for shit to happen. even in books that aren't action packed. i tried to start this many times through the years but i never got past the 1st few pages for some reason or other. so i am thrilled to be finally fucking reading it for the 1st time. even if it's not going to be one of my favorites of his. i have noticed the different style he wrote this one that nobody as far as i'm aware has mentioned. i dunno how else to explain it but it's written vastly different than his normal style at least in the books that i've read by him so far.

Roland of Gilead 33
05-22-2015, 11:48 PM
well i finished this tonight. and while i didn't love the book and it prolly won't be among my favorite of his anytime soon. that much i can say, i did enjoy the hell out of it and it's actually one book where i did actually like the ending as well. i hated what he did to Eddie though and by he i just mean SK. with the car falling apart that i did love. it felt like a good way to end a book. it was a nice and short and a fast read. i have no idea what i'm going to read next at all. i'm thinking about maybe Dream Catcher? or maybe the wind through the keyhole? i dunno yet i'm going to sleep on it. both books i've never read, years ago i read a good portion of Dream Catcher but i never finished it i think i got burnt out while reading it or something?

mae
08-19-2022, 03:02 PM
The Losers Club Podcast episode on the novel:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/podcasts/3728095/from-a-buick-8-losers-club-podcast/