PDA

View Full Version : Collectible Comic Art - Artists' Originals

Patrick
05-11-2007, 11:39 AM
Do you own original art from the Dark Tower or other comics?

Tell us the artist, the comic book and issue number.

Please post pics here!

wizardsrainbow
05-14-2007, 03:13 AM
I guess I will start it off....This is a story of being in the right place at the right time.

About a month prior to the first issue of Gunslinger Born being released (early January 2007), I was looking at the Sketch Book that was circulating at the time and really loved a sketch of Eldred Jonas that artist Jae Lee has drawn as part of the book. An Internet search on Jae Lee led me to an e-mail address, so I took a shot and e-mailed him directly, telling him how much of a Dark Tower fan I was and how I was excited about this new comic book series. I also inquired about whether he was selling any of the artwork he was doing for the series. Jae responded that original artwork would be for sale through his dealer and that I should contact him on the day Gunslinger Born was released in February. Well, I traded a couple more friendly e-mails with him over the following couple of days, and we both learned that my office in New York was right near where Jae lives and is on his route to his workplace at Marvel. He then told me given my proximity to him and my passion for the Dark Tower, that he would handle my art requests personally and in fact gave me first pick of all the artwork done for the first issue. I was stunned and thrilled. I got to preview all of the art before the issue was even released and ended up buying a few pieces. In addition to the issue #1 art, he also had done what he called character sketches of Roland, Cuthbert, Alain, Susan, Eldred Jonas and Martin Broadcloak.

In the end, I bought 4 character sketches--the Ka-Tet of Roland, Cuthbert and Alain as well as the Eldred sketch I loved so much from the Sketch Book)--and I also purchased 2 other pieces, one that I call "Roland bests Cort" and the other I call "Gilead." "Roland bests Cort" appeared in Issue #1 and as it turns out "Gilead" will be the cover art for the much-anticipated Guide Book due out this August.

So without further delay, here is the artwork....character sketches first, then "Roland bests Cort" and ending with my personal favorite "Gilead."

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/1368/rolandjaeleeap8.jpg

wizardsrainbow
05-14-2007, 03:15 AM
Here is Cuthbert.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6672/cuthbertallgoodty3.jpg

wizardsrainbow
05-14-2007, 03:16 AM
And Alain Johns

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/6649/alainjohnsjk8.jpg

wizardsrainbow
05-14-2007, 03:18 AM
Eldred Jonas, leader of the Big Coffin Hunters

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/7940/eldredjonasat4.jpg

wizardsrainbow
05-14-2007, 03:20 AM
Here is "Roland bests Cort"

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/1155/rolandbestscortli7.jpg

wizardsrainbow
05-14-2007, 03:23 AM
And my personal favorite...Gilead

I love this one because until now I could only picture the barony of Gilead in my head. I think Jae Lee captured my "mind's eye" image quite well.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/9269/gileaddo4.jpg

Patrick
05-14-2007, 10:08 AM
David, thanks so much for sharing these. I love 'em! Especially the one of Gilead. :)

Hannah
05-23-2007, 01:29 PM
Lucky, lucky! That is so cool!

Sir_Boomme
05-25-2007, 05:42 AM
here's are my two... the first is page 19 from the first installment.

the second is a prelim. study of susan delgado.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/3880/dt001019pencilsmd1.jpg
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9967/susansketchbz1.jpg

Patrick
05-25-2007, 11:41 PM
That page 19 is awesome, Terry. The Susan sketch is great, too.

Sir_Boomme
05-26-2007, 07:53 AM
other than being cool numbered page "19" - i really liked the composition of this page. the way the wings match the outstretched arms above... the way positive area chest mimics the negative area created by the bird's back. the grass and the branches repeat... the flow of the page was smooth. this page's two panels just worked really really well together for me.

btw way wiz... i like all yours... but gilead is definitely my favorite also. i love that one.

Randall Flagg
02-19-2008, 11:48 PM
With the next story arc beginning in 2 weeks, I hope we see some new stuff.

turtlex
02-21-2008, 06:18 AM
Wow. These are wondeful sketches. Personally, being a comic fan, I was THRILLED when I heard Jae Lee would be involved with the DT comics. He's an amazing and talented artist.

I really appreciate you all sharing. Someday I hope to own some myself.

Currently, I do have a couple of re-pros from Michael Whelan, but really want to add some Jae Lee art to my (limited) collection.

carlosdetweiller
02-23-2008, 08:08 PM
Wow. These are wondeful sketches. Personally, being a comic fan, I was THRILLED when I heard Jae Lee would be involved with the DT comics. He's an amazing and talented artist.

I really appreciate you all sharing. Someday I hope to own some myself.

Currently, I do have a couple of re-pros from Michael Whelan, but really want to add some Jae Lee art to my (limited) collection.

Check out the Albert Moy webpage. He was the art dealer that sold the originals for the first story arc. He will probably list the artwork soon after the release of the first comic in the second story arc. Then you can buy all you want.

http://www.albertmoy.com/newgalleryroom.asp

I just checked and there are still several pieces from The Gunslinger Born that are still available.

turtlex
02-23-2008, 08:13 PM

Thank you very much. You just rocked my world !

wizardsrainbow
02-25-2008, 09:18 AM
I just got an e-mail from Jae that said he has been sequestered (sp?) in his home for the past three months deep into the next story arc. I have some stuff for him to sign, and he said I'd have to come to him this time.

I am looking forward to this next arc, as it should have some new story not in Wizard & Glass.

CRinVA
02-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Wiz,

I too, am anxious to get to The Long Road Home. More tales in the world of the Dark Tower are always welcome in my book!

Daghain
02-25-2008, 11:53 AM
I am not going to make it until March. Seriously. :panic:

Matt
02-25-2008, 12:00 PM
I just got an e-mail from Jae that said he has been sequestered (sp?) in his home for the past three months deep into the next story arc. I have some stuff for him to sign, and he said I'd have to come to him this time.

I am looking forward to this next arc, as it should have some new story not in Wizard & Glass.

I wonder if he would donate a signed print from the first arc for the giveaway :orely:

:lol:

I'm totally shameless.

Daghain
02-25-2008, 12:07 PM
But shameless for a good cause, so we'll let it go. THIS time. :lol:

Patrick
02-25-2008, 04:48 PM
That would be sweet for the Haven Foundation charity auction.

carlosdetweiller
03-05-2008, 04:51 AM
Albert Moy has just listed some of the original artwork for sale for The Long Road Home by Jae Lee.

wizardsrainbow
03-05-2008, 06:40 AM
All art is still available....cover is a cool $5,000

Story line looks interesting....Sheemie, Dogan...

turtlex
03-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Awesome artwork !!

oy-the-brave
03-07-2008, 10:51 AM
So did anyone here buy any pages from the new comic?

I got the last 2 pages, sheemie (pg 25) and the robot (pg 26). I also really liked the power of page 5 Roland with the remains of Susan.

Can't wait to see the actual comic.

wizardsrainbow
03-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Dave-

I did not. While I liked the art, I just have no place to put it. Having to move all my books and artwork from office to home at the end of this month is gonna be a killer...and while my wife has a good idea of what is coming home, I still think she is going to flip when she sees it all.

Anybody got space on a couch that I can reserve if needed? :lol:

Randall Flagg
03-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Anybody got space on a couch that I can reserve if needed? :lol:
I have an entire room you can use. As long as you bring all the "stuff" with you.:excited:

Glass
03-09-2008, 07:40 PM
So did anyone here buy any pages from the new comic?

I got the last 2 pages, sheemie (pg 25) and the robot (pg 26). I also really liked the power of page 5 Roland with the remains of Susan.

Can't wait to see the actual comic.

Hey Oy,

I tried to get that page over the weekend but I think I was late. :( I think someone else snagged it. Grrr. It would have went great with my first series page.

None of the remaining pages really engage me, except maybe for the one with Alain holding Roland after the ball zaps him away. Hmm.

Shawn

khazano
03-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Just found this thread and figured I'd share my two cover pieces...

http://www.comicartfans.com/Images/Category_217/subcat_2068/DT002CVR_pencils%20(Large).jpg
Cover to Issue 2 By Jae Lee

http://www.comicartfans.com/Images/Category_217/subcat_2068/darktoweroriginal.jpg
Cover to Issue 6 Variant by J. Scott Campbell

For those who are interested in the hobby the rest of my non DT related pieces can be seen here...

http://cafurl.com?i=1238

Randall Flagg
03-12-2008, 09:27 AM
Those are very nice. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Patrick
03-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks for sharing, Khazano. I know the Jae Lee cover grabs everyone's attention and is very popular, but I've always really liked that cover by Campbell.

turtlex
03-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Sa-weet pieces!

khazano
03-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Thanks for sharing, Khazano. I know the Jae Lee cover grabs everyone's attention and is very popular, but I've always really liked that cover by Campbell.

Thanks!!

The Campbell cover really has to be seen in person to understand the detail and originality of the art... The published version of the cover lost a lot of the details that are prominent on the original.

But my fav of the two, much like everyone else as you noted, is still the Lee piece. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE his rendition of the King.

turtlex
04-07-2008, 04:24 PM
FYI : for those whose tax refund is burning a hole in their pocket... Albert Moy has up some Issue 2 new stuff by Jae Lee.

Wish I could afford some - looks sweet!

Long Days,
turtlex

Patrick
04-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Good point, Turtlex.

Here is a link to Jae Lee's original artwork in the first two issues (http://www.albertmoy.com/ArtistGalleryTitleDetails.asp?Details=1&ArtistId=544&Mag=Dark+Tower%3A+The+Long+Road+Home) of The Long Road Home.

Daghain
04-08-2008, 09:35 AM
That stuff is awesome, and so out of my price range. :lol:

Aaron
04-08-2008, 10:21 AM
How does he get ahold of these things?

Patrick
04-08-2008, 06:57 PM
I believe he represents the artists, sorta like an art gallery owner would.

wizardsrainbow
04-09-2008, 02:50 AM
I believe he represents the artists, sorta like an art gallery owner would.

Yes, Albert Moy is Jae Lee's dealer.

turtlex
04-09-2008, 04:41 AM

Moy works for Jae Lee, he's the dealer... Which I guess means that Jae himself decides which pieces/pages should be offered for sale. Why he doesn't include EVERY page of the comic, I don't know - they're all amazing works of art.

Aaron
04-09-2008, 07:08 AM
Ah, that makes sense. I just wasn't sure the legalities of where Marvel stood in relation to the original pieces.

I did notice that he doesn't have any of the 19th pages listed. I wonder if that is for a reason or if it just means that they've been snatched up already.

turtlex
04-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Aaron - you bring up a good point. I think there might be something about him releasing all the pages of a comic, because then - he's basically selling the comic, rather than just his 'art'. Marvel might not approve of that. By selling only select pages, I believe he can bypass that particular issue.

Long Days,
turtlex

oy-the-brave
04-09-2008, 03:58 PM
No Marvel has nothing to do with the original pages they are owned by the artist.

For most of the first run every page was available for sale, Jae even offered to sell all the complete art to issue 1 to Wiz/David, I think Wiz said the price was 25,000? (BTW thanks David for not taking him up on the offer:) ). My recollection is that it was only the last issue of the first series and the first 2 of the new that any pages were held back.

I also seem to recall Sir_Boomme got page 19 of the first issue. I have page 19 of issue 3 (the last page of the 6 page saloon standoff with the big coffin hunters that I got complete)

khazano
04-10-2008, 09:57 AM

Moy works for Jae Lee, he's the dealer... Which I guess means that Jae himself decides which pieces/pages should be offered for sale. Why he doesn't include EVERY page of the comic, I don't know - they're all amazing works of art.

Every page is availble for sale at the time they are posted online however some are bought FAST, like within hours of being posted and subsequently taken off.

Also, certain pages from issue 1 ended up being given directly to Stephen!

turtlex
04-10-2008, 12:40 PM
Ah more info.
I had never heard that ALL pages were listed.
You'd think they'd still be there with the SOLD sign, like the others.
I bet they're just amazing and they don't want to make us all feel bad about not being able to buy them. :)

oy-the-brave
04-10-2008, 07:36 PM
It is only recently that the sold pages were removed, during the first series all pages were listed with sold or hold tags on the ones unavailable, so you could see all the pages.

Yes some pages go quickly, for the first issue I placed my order within minutes of them being listed and for some of the others as well like page 6 from issue 2 (Crimson King surrounded by the wizards rainbow splash page).

I don't think Stephen King got any pages from issue 1, I believe he got some of the preliminary/concept art Jae Lee did for Marvels presentation to Stephen King to pitch the series.

khazano
04-10-2008, 08:14 PM
It is only recently that the sold pages were removed, during the first series all pages were listed with sold or hold tags on the ones unavailable, so you could see all the pages.

Yes some pages go quickly, for the first issue I placed my order within minutes of them being listed and for some of the others as well like page 6 from issue 2 (Crimson King surrounded by the wizards rainbow splash page).

I don't think Stephen King got any pages from issue 1, I believe he got some of the preliminary/concept art Jae Lee did for Marvels presentation to Stephen King to pitch the series.

I was under the impression he also got one of the opening splashes... But I could be wrong.

Were you the one who snagged CK rainbow splash? I emailed albert literally fifteen minutes after he sent out the email that the pages were availble and it was already on hold.

oy-the-brave
04-10-2008, 09:59 PM

I was under the impression he also got one of the opening splashes... But I could be wrong.

Were you the one who snagged CK rainbow splash? I emailed albert literally fifteen minutes after he sent out the email that the pages were availble and it was already on hold.

I could be wrong King may have gotten a page from the actual comic but my recollection was when the first issue pages went on sale it was just the pages David/Wiz got direct from Jae before Albert Moy listed them that were unavailable.

Yeah that was me who got the CK splash, during the first few issues I was at my computer constantly refreshing, so I got orders in within minutes of the listing.

So far I have 18 pages (15 from series 1, and 3 from series 2). My favorites are the 2 page splash of the boys on the field with their hawks (issue 1), Roland gets his guns (issue 1), CK splash (issue 2) and the last page (issue 7) Roland, Bert and Alain and the pink grapefruit.

wizardsrainbow
04-11-2008, 03:02 AM
Before issue 1 or Gunslinger Born came out, Jae offered me the whole first issue at $20,000, which, of course, I did not do. I did, however, get first choice of any of the artwork for that first issue and ended up with 6:

Roland character sketch
Cuthbert character sketch
Alain character sketch
Eldred Jonas character sketch
Coming of Age field/Gilead (cover of the Guidebook)
Roland standing over a defeated Cort

I couldn't be happier with my choices, but I have no intention of purchasing any more, unless something down the line like the battle at Jerricho Hill could be kick ass, and I might step in for something like that.

This one is my favorite of those I bought:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Gilead.JPG

jhanic
04-11-2008, 03:53 AM
Just curious, Wiz. How are you going to display these now that you've had to move your collection home?

John

wizardsrainbow
04-11-2008, 08:13 AM
Just curious, Wiz. How are you going to display these now that you've had to move your collection home?

John

John-

:lol: Very good question. Tension is running high in my household over these books. We have settled on where to put the book cases (two of them are being made to my specifications and will take another 2 months to receive), but artwork display has not been discussed yet. I have 3 pieces with Audrey and I still have to discuss frames with her. Unfortunately, I cannot display all of my artwork. All four of my character sketches from Gunslinger Born will likely never be framed or displayed. I am getting the Gilead scene framed and also the two Wrightson pencil sketches I acquired a year ago. Even then, there will have to be some really sweet talking to get them up.

I already have 3 whelan originals and a S/L Gunslinger print up, so to add 3 more will be a challenge. We have the room to be sure, but my wife does not want the house to be overrun by gunslingers.

Brice
04-11-2008, 08:15 AM

John

John-

:lol: Very good question. Tension is running high in my household over these books. We have settled on where to put the book cases (two of them are being made to my specifications and will take another 2 months to receive), but artwork display has not been discussed yet. I have 3 pieces with Audrey and I still have to discuss frames with her. Unfortunately, I cannot display all of my artwork. All four of my character sketches from Gunslinger Born will likely never be framed or displayed. I am getting the Gilead scene framed and also the two Wrightson pencil sketches I acquired a year ago. Even then, there will have to be some really sweet talking to get them up.

I already have 3 whelan originals and a S/L Gunslinger print up, so to add 3 more will be a challenge. We have the room to be sure, but my wife does not want the house to be overrun by gunslingers.

Get her to read the books, so she'll love them too. :D

jhanic
04-11-2008, 08:18 AM
We have the room to be sure, but my wife does not want the house to be overrun by gunslingers.

Some women (and I have to say my wife is also among them) just don't have the right perspective on the important things! :rolleyes:

John

wizardsrainbow
04-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Brice-

She just read the whole Dark Tower series within the last 6 months. She enjoyed them but they didn't rock her world. Nice suggestion though.

Daghain
04-11-2008, 08:48 AM
I'd be happy to display them in my house for you. :)

khazano
04-11-2008, 09:22 AM
I could be wrong King may have gotten a page from the actual comic but my recollection was when the first issue pages went on sale it was just the pages David/Wiz got direct from Jae before Albert Moy listed them that were unavailable.

That might be what I'm thinking of. I know King got those sample pages, and for some reason I thought that the 2Pg spread that was listed as "SOLD" the minute the first issue was posted up went to him too.

Yeah that was me who got the CK splash, during the first few issues I was at my computer constantly refreshing, so I got orders in within minutes of the listing.

If you EVER want to sell that splash, PLEASE let me know! :excited:

khazano
04-11-2008, 09:24 AM

Three...Whelan...Originals...??!! WOW

Do you have pics of them anywhere online??

wizardsrainbow
04-11-2008, 09:59 AM

Three...Whelan...Originals...??!! WOW

Do you have pics of them anywhere online??

Yes, I do. In my collections folder, but here they are.

This is NOTHING! You should see carlosdetweiller's collection. He has several Whelan originals from both the Gunslinger and DT VII as well as many originals from the other books in the series.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Signpost1.JPG

wizardsrainbow
04-11-2008, 10:00 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Hot_Chocolate1.JPG

wizardsrainbow
04-11-2008, 10:00 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Walk-In1.JPG

Matt
04-11-2008, 10:14 AM
Wow! It doesn't matter how often I see them, those are amazing.

jhanic
04-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Agreed.

John

turtlex
04-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Wow.
And did I mention... wow!
That is an impressive collection!!!

khazano
04-11-2008, 12:29 PM
:drool: :drool: :drool:

Love the Tower Road piece

My ultimate grail would be Whelans painting of the Crimson King atop his throne

Matt
04-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Two signed Whelan prints are being given away on May 19th, donate for an entry if you can!

Patrick
04-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Nice plug for the Haven Foundation fundraiser, Matt. :thumbsup:

Wiz, your DT art collection, both Whelan and Lee, is fantastic.

The obvious solution is for you to sell your house, and buy a new home with a nice big home office for you to hang all your artwork and display all your books. Then you'd be happy, and your wife would be happy because her whole house wouldn't be overrun with your art. :rock:

I know, I know, I'm a genius. Thank you.

wizardsrainbow
04-12-2008, 02:40 AM
:doh: Why didn't I think of that!

So....anybody want to buy a house, or should I start a new thread for that? LOL

Brice
04-12-2008, 03:29 AM
Brice-

She just read the whole Dark Tower series within the last 6 months. She enjoyed them but they didn't rock her world. Nice suggestion though.

Hey, I tried.

Anyhow, this is just what you were hoping when she read them wasn't it? :lol: With every page she turned you were probably thinking "Maybe...maybe she'll let me hang them ALL up. :dance:

Ari_Racing
04-12-2008, 06:44 AM
Wiz, those are amazing!!
Now..when looking at the first one...I want to read the whole saga again (this would be the 4th time complete and the seventh from 1-4 volumes).
:)

Daghain
04-12-2008, 09:31 AM
Again, I'd be happy to display them in my house for you.

Just trying to be helpful. :lol:

Patrick
04-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Wiz, Brice and Daghain: :lol: at each of your posts. :)

Daghain
04-13-2008, 06:35 PM
:)

wizardsrainbow
04-17-2008, 12:26 PM
*************BREAKING NEWS FLASH******************

At long last, I just got an e-mail from Jae Lee (I haven't heard back from him in at least 2 months).......

HE IS MOVING TO LAS VEGAS AT THE END OF THIS MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!!

First, he told me to drop by his apartment so I could get some things signed (yes Ari, finally I am going to deliver!)

And as we speak, he just sent another mail answering several questions I had.

HE IS NOT LEAVING MARVEL :nope: :clap: He said it doesn't matter where he lives since all the art is sent electronically.

The reason he is moving is simple...as he puts it.....POKER ANYTIME and with the condo market such a mess there, there are some great deals.

I am going to see him tomorrow adter lunch.

turtlex
04-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Wiz -

Might sound silly, but could you please pass on to him how much we appreciate his art for Dark Tower and how great it is. I dont want to sound too much like a "fanboy" or whatever, but I really think he's so very talented.

Long Days,
turtlex

oy-the-brave
04-17-2008, 03:19 PM
*************BREAKING NEWS FLASH******************

At long last, I just got an e-mail from Jae Lee (I haven't heard back from him in at least 2 months).......

HE IS MOVING TO LAS VEGAS AT THE END OF THIS MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!!

First, he told me to drop by his apartment so I could get some things signed (yes Ari, finally I am going to deliver!)

And as we speak, he just sent another mail answering several questions I had.

HE IS NOT LEAVING MARVEL :nope: :clap: He said it doesn't matter where he lives since all the art is sent electronically.

The reason he is moving is simple...as he puts it.....POKER ANYTIME and with the condo market such a mess there, there are some great deals.

I am going to see him tomorrow adter lunch.

Cool now He's just a 6 hour drive away, I haven't stalked anyone lately :evil:

Ari_Racing
04-17-2008, 06:46 PM
Thanks wiz!!! :)

Patrick
04-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Most definitely he should make an appearance at the TDT.com get-together in October then. :excited:

wizardsrainbow
04-18-2008, 09:59 AM
Just back from my meeting with Jae.
Ari-I got your book inscribed. I will have to get a picture of it later and put it up here for you to see, but I am pretty sure it goes like this:

To Ari Bosi

Long days and pleasant nights

Jae Lee

The only really new information I got was that he just received the story book for the next story arc and it deals with the ka-tet after they get back to Gilead and we are introduced to the rest of Roland's mates and their fathers among other things.

Pictures to follow later....you will definitely like! (of what I got signed, not of the next story line)

Oh, I almost forgot...I gave him a Grant ARC copy of Wizard & Glass as a thank you and a parting gift. He was very touched by the gesture. Made me feel good.

turtlex
04-18-2008, 11:04 AM
Wiz -

You're a good guy. Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to see the pics!

Ari_Racing
04-18-2008, 11:42 AM
THANK YOU WIZ!!!! I can't wait to see that pics! :)

Thank you!!

And you had a very nice gesture! :)

Patrick
04-18-2008, 01:00 PM
He's a good guy and it was nice of you to give him that ARC. :thumbsup:

wizardsrainbow
04-18-2008, 03:58 PM
THANK YOU WIZ!!!! I can't wait to see that pics! :)

Thank you!!

And you had a very nice gesture! :)

Ok Ari-

Here you go

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/IMG_1942.jpg

wizardsrainbow
04-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Another shot of it

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/IMG_1941.jpg

wizardsrainbow
04-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Me and Jae in the lobby of his apartment building this afternoon

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/IMG_1940.jpg

wizardsrainbow
04-18-2008, 04:03 PM
Here is my copy, it is a signed numbered edition #44. Sorry the picture is crappy, it is in a brodart jacket and even with no flash there is a glare.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/IMG_1943.jpg

wizardsrainbow
04-18-2008, 04:05 PM
Here is the inscription he did for me. I do not think that I could ever receive a better one! I am thrilled beyond belief. :excited:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/IMG_1945.jpg

Erin
04-18-2008, 04:07 PM
David, those are awesome. How cool you got to meet him. :D

jhanic
04-18-2008, 04:28 PM
WOW!!!

John

turtlex
04-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Wow! That is a priceless inscription! So very cool for you!

Thank you for sharing the pictures.

oy-the-brave
04-18-2008, 06:52 PM
That is a real cool inscription, congrats :thumbsup:

Fsmdr
04-18-2008, 07:13 PM
That's a really nice inscription, Wiz!. Congrats. I think his signature is really cool too!.

Randall Flagg
04-19-2008, 07:47 AM
Very nice Dave. You cultivated a great friendship.

Ari_Racing
04-19-2008, 07:58 AM
VERY NICE!!! A lovely inscription!

AND THANK YOU AGAIN...Mine looks great!!!! :)

MonteGss
04-19-2008, 08:42 AM
Wow! You are very lucky to have such cool friends! Those pics are great! I'm sure many of us are very jealous of you. :) Awesome!

Patrick
04-19-2008, 03:43 PM
Fantastic!

Brice
04-20-2008, 05:40 AM
That's one hell of an inscription Wiz! :)

turtlex
04-20-2008, 05:57 AM
Hey Wiz - Did Jae Lee say anything about changing dealers. I see that Albert Moy is out of NYC and since Jae is moving... I was just wondering.

Thanks.
Long Days,
turtlex

carlosdetweiller
04-20-2008, 06:03 AM
Great stuff, Dave!

It's nice that Jae Lee dressed up for the photo. I wonder what he wears when he is just laying around the house chillin'?

Daghain
04-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Very nice, Wiz! I'm jealous!

herbertwest
04-21-2008, 01:24 AM
pretty nice!

wizardsrainbow
04-21-2008, 02:48 AM
Hey Wiz - Did Jae Lee say anything about changing dealers. I see that Albert Moy is out of NYC and since Jae is moving... I was just wondering.

Thanks.
Long Days,
turtlex

No, he did not say anything about Albert. I mentioned to him that Oy (Dave) was an even bigger fan than me with much more artwork and he laughed and said maybe he should inscribe the book to him. Albert was mentioned as being his dealer and he said nothing to contradict that.

wizardsrainbow
04-21-2008, 02:51 AM
Great stuff, Dave!

It's nice that Jae Lee dressed up for the photo. I wonder what he wears when he is just laying around the house chillin'?

:lol: Yes, that was my first thought too. One of the first things he did was apologize that he couldn't invite me up to the apartment 'cause it was such a mess with preparing to move and also that he had just got out of bed (this was 12:30pm). I told him, I was just getting up when he probably went to bed.

turtlex
04-21-2008, 10:19 AM
No, he did not say anything about Albert. I mentioned to him that Oy (Dave) was an even bigger fan than me with much more artwork and he laughed and said maybe he should inscribe the book to him. Albert was mentioned as being his dealer and he said nothing to contradict that.

Great news, thanks so much.

oy-the-brave
04-21-2008, 02:26 PM
I mentioned to him that Oy (Dave) was an even bigger fan than me with much more artwork and he laughed and said maybe he should inscribe the book to him.

I would not have complained if he had :innocent:

Actually I have been meaning to see if Albert would be willing to put me in touch with Jae to get some stuff signed, someday I will try.

That really was a cool inscription congrats again :)

carlosdetweiller
05-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Albert Moy has just listed several original pages of Jae Lee's artwork for the third issue of the new DT story arc.

turtlex
05-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Wow. Such a talented artist. Wish I could afford all of them.

Thanks carlosdetweiller, for letting us know there was new art out there.

oy-the-brave
05-10-2008, 05:49 PM
I'm surprised the only pages sold so far are the two I got (had to have the poor Oy pages:cry: )

turtlex
05-11-2008, 09:19 AM
I just can't afford any right now, or else, I'd have more than one.

wizardsrainbow
06-04-2008, 06:53 AM
I just got an e-mail from Jae Lee who says:

Hi David. Vegas is awesome! I have joined Randall Flagg's side!

For those of you who do not know, Jae recently moved from New York City (where I work) to Las Vegas.

oy-the-brave
06-04-2008, 03:56 PM

:onfire: :rofl:

turtlex
06-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Oh no, a loss to Flagg !!

Great that he kept in touch. Wonder how the poker is goin?

carlosdetweiller
07-01-2008, 05:14 PM
New artwork posted for sale from The Long Road Home #4. Looks like some very nice pieces for sale.

turtlex
07-05-2008, 02:28 AM
Wow!
Beautiful.

Patrick
07-07-2008, 02:44 PM

:rofl: (I missed this earlier.)

Glass
02-12-2009, 11:14 AM
I own The Gunslinger Born #1 Page 28:

http://www.signedpage.com/ebay/gunslingerborn-page28.jpg

http://www.signedpage.com/ebay/rolandbert.jpg

I had to have it when it came out and I couldn't believe my luck when I actually got it from Albert. It is the scene written in The Gunslinger where Roland buries his hawk David. To me it is one of the most literary pages I've seen, because that moment is the first time of many in his journey where Roland must bury one of the ka-tet after he has essentially sacrificed them in order to gain the Tower.

I took the photos because Robin Furth, after seeing her at NY Comic Con, wanted to see it. I think she was giddy to have met someone with a page. She'll sign it at SDCC this year, and hopefully Jae will be there as well. Then comes the hard one -- King!

Any of you have your pages signed? I hear Jae signed some of them before they left him but mine wasn't signed for some reason...

Shawn

wizardsrainbow
02-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Shawn-

Very nice. I recognized the scene right away!

My panels (6 of them) are all signed by Jae.

When is the SDCC this year?

Glass
02-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Hey Wiz,

Did you get your panels signed by Jae in person or were they already signed when you received them from Al?

The 2009 SDCC is from July 23-26, I believe. I have every reason to believe Robin will be there. I have an idea Del Rey will be promoting the heck out of The Talisman comic book at that convention and both Robin and artist Tony Shasteen will be there to support that endeavor.

Perhaps we'll be able to see some of the The Talisman before it is released in the Fall.... just a thought.... ;)

Shawn

oy-the-brave
02-12-2009, 03:40 PM
I own The Gunslinger Born #1 Page 28:

http://www.signedpage.com/ebay/gunslingerborn-page28.jpg

http://www.signedpage.com/ebay/rolandbert.jpg

I had to have it when it came out and I couldn't believe my luck when I actually got it from Albert. It is the scene written in The Gunslinger where Roland buries his hawk David. To me it is one of the most literary pages I've seen, because that moment is the first time of many in his journey where Roland must bury one of the ka-tet after he has essentially sacrificed them in order to gain the Tower.

I took the photos because Robin Furth, after seeing her at NY Comic Con, wanted to see it. I think she was giddy to have met someone with a page. She'll sign it at SDCC this year, and hopefully Jae will be there as well. Then comes the hard one -- King!

Any of you have your pages signed? I hear Jae signed some of them before they left him but mine wasn't signed for some reason...

Shawn

Hi Shawn,

I think beginning with the second issue of Gunslinger Born all my pages have been signed when I received them.

My first issue pages are unsigned as well.

turtlex
02-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Very cool !

wizardsrainbow
02-13-2009, 03:45 AM
Hey Wiz,

Did you get your panels signed by Jae in person or were they already signed when you received them from Al?

The 2009 SDCC is from July 23-26, I believe. I have every reason to believe Robin will be there. I have an idea Del Rey will be promoting the heck out of The Talisman comic book at that convention and both Robin and artist Tony Shasteen will be there to support that endeavor.

Perhaps we'll be able to see some of the The Talisman before it is released in the Fall.... just a thought.... ;)

Shawn

Shawn-

I have 2 comic panels and four character sketches. Jae delivered them to me himself. I did not go through Albert.

Glass
02-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Gotcha, Wiz.

carlosdetweiller
02-17-2009, 03:21 PM
New Jae Lee artwork from one of the Dark Tower story arcs recently added here:

turtlex
02-18-2009, 01:14 PM
I just love Jae Lee's work... maybe I'll be able to get one when my taxes are done.

Thanks for posting about the updated items, carlos!

turtlex
02-18-2009, 04:08 PM
FYI from the Comic Tower - Bernie Wrightson is going to be at a Comic Con in California this coming weekend.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=7343

Randall Flagg
10-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Should this thread be moved to the Comic section, archived, or left alone? Last post was February, 2009.

Sam
10-17-2010, 07:14 PM
I think since it is comic original art, that we should probably move it to the comic tower.

turtlex
10-18-2010, 03:20 AM
I'll move it over to the Comic Tower.

turtlex
10-18-2010, 03:26 AM
Just moved this and realized I never posted my originals here.

So... here you go :

Jae Lee Original Comic Panel Treachery Issue 2 Page 20
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/596/medium/JaeLeeOriginal.JPG

The Stand: American Nightmares #1 p.14
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/604/medium/AmNight1_page14.JPG

The Stand: American Nightmares #4 p.16
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/604/medium/AmNight4_page16.JPG

jhanic
10-18-2010, 06:25 AM
Nice, Pam!

John

turtlex
10-18-2010, 06:57 AM
I've got some others, non-Stephen King related. I'll post those when I get home! :grouphug:

Sam
10-20-2010, 05:43 PM
I just got this one today. I bought it from The Artist's Choice website. It's not King related, but it's cool as hell to me. It's by Luke Ross from the series Samurai: Heaven and Earth II. Sorry about the lighting, I need new light bulbs.
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/samurai_3.jpg
and so you can see the size of this thing, that's a dvd beside the picture.
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/samurai_2.jpg

turtlex
10-21-2010, 02:51 AM
Those are cool, Sam.

:thumbsup:

It always takes me a while to track down sometime from an artist I love. The Batwoman originals I have, I bought right from the artist himself. The Mike Perkins ones above, from his art dealer.

Sam
10-21-2010, 08:50 AM
I understand that Pam. I would LOVE to have some work by Darryl Banks, but I haven't been able to track either him or his agent down. His work on Green Lantern was simply stunning.

I would LOVE to have a commision piece from Dave Dorman, but when I inquired several years ago, the price was WAAAAY above my ceiling. Way above it.

turtlex
10-21-2010, 09:12 AM
Yes, I understand not being able to afford pieces, for sure. I had to save up for my Batwoman commission piece by JH Williams III and, all in all, I thought it was a very fair price.

Friends - If you find good website for purchases of Original Comic Art, feel free to post them.

I think the easiest recognizable to members here is :

Albert Moy (http://www.albertmoy.com/ArtistGalleryTitles.asp?ArtistId=544) who represents Jae Lee. He's got a lot of DT original pieces available.

Sam
10-21-2010, 09:20 AM
Here's the site I used.

http://www.theartistschoice.com/

Some of the prices are really good, some of them are HUGELY out of my budget. There's a really good list of artists here and my experience with Spencer Beck was very good. The only problem, he does not accept payment via Paypal OR credit card... check, money order, etc. only. He does explain why that policy exists, if that helps any.

My art was very well packed an enclosed in a heavy duty hardboard. Just FYI.

turtlex
10-21-2010, 09:29 AM
Sam - When you posted before, I went through that site ( I'm forever hunting for Batwoman images from the 52 comic run ) and it really has a bunch of nice pieces.

I think there are a couple of DT related items as well there ... Alternate covers by Olivier Coipel, Jimmy Cheung and Steve McNiven. All are too pricey for me, however.

Another good resource for Original Comic Art is www.comicartfans.com - there's a Art for Sale link that you can search by artist or keyword.

turtlex
10-21-2010, 09:44 AM
Below is one of my prized possessions ... an original by Richard Isanove. The picture does NOT due it justice. It's just a spectacular piece.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/604/medium/ArthurEld.JPG
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/604/medium/FoG5_ArthurEld.JPG

Brainslinger
10-22-2010, 08:50 AM
I just came across a Catwoman picture on that site (a few seconds on the front page no less. I think my eyes must have a female anatomy homing thingummy fitted) which is certainly not suitable for the sexy comic-book character thread!

She seems a bit chunkier than the Selene we know though. (I don't dislike that physique on a woman, don't get me wrong. She just doesn't look like that. Mind you, judging by her hair colour I think it might be a different character.)

turtlex
12-25-2010, 05:28 AM
Bumping this for Sam, as I know he's got a new panel.

Sam
12-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Ok. Here's the new panel I recently purchased through a seller on ebay. His main website is www.anthonysnyder.com. The purchase was painless, and I would buy from him again for sure. Here's the panel.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/gl_56_11.jpg

An overlay also came with it, but it's an acetate panel and really doesn't add to the piece any.

jhanic
12-26-2010, 04:51 AM
For us comics novices, which series is this from?

John

Sam
12-26-2010, 11:30 AM
It is from Green Lantern vol. 3 issue #56.

(Though, I would have thought the "Green Lantern" stamp on the top of the page would be a good clue.) :P

jhanic
12-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Sorry, Sam. I didn't notice it. Very nice!

John

Sam
12-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Dude, I'm just giving you a hard time man. Just kidding with you, seriously. There's another page from the same company from this issue that I am seriously considering getting. Simply because it's the same issue.

wizardsrainbow
12-28-2010, 03:28 AM
OMG Pam! Long overdue congrats from me! That is stunning!

And congrats to you too Sam!

Sam
12-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Another piece that I just got today. There should be more coming sooner or later. With any luck that it.
This one is from Parallax: Emerald Night from the company wide event The Final Night. This is page 27 of issue #1 and takes place just before Hal goes to sacrifice himself to reignite the sun.
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/parallax.jpg

Tito_Villa
12-30-2010, 03:02 PM
Thats real nice Sam, do you display them?

Sam
12-30-2010, 09:07 PM
Not right now Tito. I don't have the wall space to hang them or the desire to have them framed since both pieces have acetate overlays which change the picture somewhat when you lay them over the piece. I wish I could scan them, but they are too large for my scanner to handle. I have to depend on the pictures that others have taken. Oh well. As for displaying them, I have a portfolio ordered that should fit them just fine. If they don't fit, I'll be returning it for sure!!

Patrick
01-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Just catching up on this thread. I really like everything you all are posting!

Sam
01-31-2011, 09:50 PM
I have something new to post. This is a commissioned piece from Darryl Banks. I commissioned it shortly after my wife died, and it is a symbolic piece using comics as the medium. The disc behind the hero is the symbol for the Blue Lantern Corps who used coalesced Hope to power their blue lanterns. So it really stands for hope itself. The title of the piece is:
From Sorrow to Hope
http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq243/scgriz/GL20Sorrow20to20Hope_scan.jpg

This is the crown jewel of my collection.

Tito_Villa
02-01-2011, 01:09 AM
WOW

jhanic
02-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Very, very nice, Sam. And very moving!

John

Sam
02-01-2011, 08:10 PM
I have a lot more stuff posted in my gallery here:
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=57010.

I would post the pics, but there's just too much to post.

Patrick
02-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Sam, that is beautiful.