PDA

View Full Version : Jim Butcher fans?

The Man With No Name
02-21-2008, 07:45 PM
Just want to know if any here are fans of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files books? I have everyone of them except for the upcoming one called Small Favor.

I'd say right now that my favorite of the series is Blood Rites.

Erin
02-21-2008, 10:11 PM
I've never heard of him or the books before.

Is it a series? What genre are they?

OchrisO
02-21-2008, 10:20 PM
I've read one of the books. It was great. I just haven't had time to read the others. I really enjoyed the TV show that was based on the Dresden books.

My friend Daniel is a huge Jim Butcher fan.

Erin:

The Dresden Files is a fantasy/mystery novel series by Jim Butcher. Each novel in the series is told from the fictional perspective of Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden (named by his father after Harry Houdini, Harry Blackstone, Sr., and David Copperfield). Dresden is the only professional wizard in modern-day Chicago (he is in the phone book, under the yellow pages heading "Wizards").

Butcher's original proposed title for the first novel was "Semiautomagic", a title that sums up the series' balance of fantasy and hard-boiled detective fiction. In the world of The Dresden Files, magic is real, along with vampires, demons, spirits, faeries, werewolves, and more. The general public that Harry Dresden works to protect does not believe in magic or the large array of dark forces which regularly conspire against them. This makes it tough for Harry to get by as a working wizard and private eye. Fortunately, the Chicago PD's Special Investigation unit led by Lt. Karrin Murphy regularly employs Dresden to help solve cases of a supernatural nature.

The series is also notable for Dresden's references to modern pop culture, such as the Evil Overlord List.

The Man With No Name
02-22-2008, 02:49 AM
Harry Dresden is a resident of Chicago. He is the only wizard in the Chicago Yellow Pages. Whenever the Chicago Police Department comes across a crime that has seemingly or obvious "unusual" circumstances around it, they refer it to the CPD's Special Investigations Unit (SI). SI is headed by Karrin Murphy and she uses Harry Dresden as a consultant/private investigator. The cases always involve something supernatural and deadly.

The series is a mix of hard boiled detective/supernatural fiction.

Very good information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dresden_Files

LadyHitchhiker
02-25-2008, 07:43 AM
I have read one so far and enjoyed it. I even siggied one of the characters and am starting to read another one. Raron introduced me so I must continue...

Darkthoughts
08-12-2008, 01:55 AM
I knew I'd seen a Jim Butcher thread here somewhere!

Almost finished Dead Beat, which is my first JB book ever. The first few pages I was thinking, "I hope this isn't some Anne Rice style bollocks!" but he's way better than that. I love Harry's sense of humour, he's such a smartass - reminds me of Robert B Parker's detective, Spenser.

I'll definately be going back and reading all the other Dresden books :thumbsup:

The Lady of Shadows
08-12-2008, 09:41 PM
i love the dresden novels and was a huge fan of the dresden files on tv. but of course, scifi had to cancel it so they could show wrestling. fucking wrestling - instead of the dresden files. go figure.

i just got the series on dvd though, so i can watch it over and over again. and i have all the books so i can read them over and over again, too. i loved small favor (the newest release). can't wait for another one. why does it take so looooooooong??????? :lol:

LadyHitchhiker
08-17-2008, 07:16 AM
Okay now I have read every single one of the Dresden files books and am eagerly waiting for the comic book and to read his new fantasy series...

Telynn
08-17-2008, 07:43 AM
I am slowly reading this series as I get them at the library. They are great so far. I have read 3 and waiting on the 4th book.

LadyHitchhiker
08-17-2008, 07:50 AM
For those who have read the most recent dresden book
I am disappointed by Michael being hurt so badly :( I really like his charactter and want more of him. Also, why Dresden and Luccio? Sounds intersting and all, but I would much rather see him with his female cop!

Darkthoughts
08-17-2008, 09:59 AM
I haven't - so I didn't read that :D

But at subpress at the moment, they're selling Backup which is a novelette in which Thomas has to rescue Harry...it's $20 plus a small shipping fee.

LadyHitchhiker
08-17-2008, 10:26 AM
I loveThomas's character...

Darkthoughts
10-21-2008, 02:13 AM
It arrived!!

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c39/towerjunkie19/backup.jpg

LadyHitchhiker
10-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Have you read the graphic novel yet???

Darkthoughts
03-07-2010, 04:16 AM
New Dresden book out next month! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changes_(novel)

Brice
03-07-2010, 04:30 AM
:dance:

I need to read more of these.

MonteGss
03-09-2010, 11:20 PM
I've listened to the first five so far. :cool:

I'm trying to slow down because books 7-9 (something like that) haven't been released on Audible. I read they would be completed soon.

Brice
03-10-2010, 02:36 AM
Off topic, but I had to say of course you are a wonderful friend. :couple:

LadyHitchhiker
03-10-2010, 05:12 AM
I'm such a huge fan!!!!!!!!!

IWasSentWest
03-12-2010, 02:48 PM
i finally got white knight (took me forever). the pause between his books was killing me

Darkthoughts
04-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Read Changes yesterday, almost entirely in one go - it was that good I couldn't put it down! I wish he'd write like, 5 at a time :D

IWasSentWest
04-29-2010, 01:50 PM
re-reading blood rites on my re-read of the series

disel24
04-29-2010, 05:43 PM
I'd love to find these in PDF format to read on my psp. I liked the tv series that scifi put out some years ago

IWasSentWest
04-29-2010, 09:48 PM
yeh the show was a little different than the books, but it was pretty good.

Darkthoughts
05-02-2010, 04:29 AM
i didn't watch the series, it was re-running over here last year - but I'm one of those people that can't generally enjoy a tv series or movie of a book I've liked because I can't stop myself from going "that didn't happen!"..."that character is completely made up!"...etc :lol:

Westie, hurry and catch up! I want to talk about the last couple of books with you!! :D

Telynn
11-17-2010, 05:25 PM
Ok, dredging up this old thread...... anyone else read Aftermath yet?

OchrisO
11-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Ok, dredging up this old thread...... anyone else read Aftermath yet?

I have Side Jobs(which Aftermath is in for those who don't know), but haven't started reading it yet because I am in the middle of a Dark Tower read that I am trying not to be lured away from by Harry Dresden goodness. I eagerly await it, though. I will probably end up taking a DT break to get to it soon.

Darkthoughts
11-18-2010, 12:11 AM
Aftermath? Am I behind? I read Changes last, is this one a novel or short story?

Erin
11-18-2010, 06:55 AM
I'm wondering the exact same thing. I'm guessing short story because I thought Ghost Story was the next novel.

OchrisO
11-18-2010, 07:07 AM
Aftermath is a short story written from Murphy's point of view following the end of Changes that is in a book of Dresden short storied called Side Jobs.

Darkthoughts
11-18-2010, 07:45 AM
Ooooh!! Off to Amazon I go!

Telynn
11-18-2010, 07:01 PM
It is a good book to add to the collection of Dresden books. It has all the short stories, including this new one. Murphy is a bad ass. Nuff said.

Erin
01-20-2011, 01:04 PM
I just read on a messageboard that the general consensus is that Ghost Story has been pushed back to a July release. I don't think it's been made official yet, though.

Also, I read that the 14th book is called Winter Knight instead of Veil Time as initially reported.

OchrisO
01-20-2011, 01:05 PM
Damnit, there was way too much of a cliffhanger for him to be throwing out delays.

alkanto
01-20-2011, 01:11 PM
I actually just finished Aftermath a few days ago. I cannot wait for the new book....

July, though, you say? What the hell? Eh, whatever...he's still better than Martin, in that regard.

Murphy does, indeed, kick ass! It's fantastic from my point of view especially because she is my height (taller, I think, even...) so it's nice to see a small woman be awesome for once!

LadyHitchhiker
01-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo don't push it back!!!!

Telynn
07-29-2011, 05:59 PM
Ok, who else has read Ghost Story besides me?

alkanto
07-29-2011, 06:42 PM
I have about 90 pages to go. I'll post here when I finish.

Darkthoughts
07-30-2011, 02:34 PM
I read the first three stories and got bored so didn't finish it. To be fair I'm not a short story fan.

Telynn
07-30-2011, 04:17 PM
Ghost Story is a full novel. Not short stories. Are you thinking of Side Jobs?

alkanto
07-30-2011, 06:56 PM
Well I finished Ghost Story today. I liked it. It wasn't my favorite, but it was certainly nice to have Dresden back. Well...as much as a shade-form wizard can be back. Obviously, with Dresden being dead, it was going to be a different type of story. That but was obvious from the first page, I think that contributed to a slow start. Normally I am gripped within the first 20 pages, but it took a while for me to really get into the story of this one. That being said, the action picked up once more familiar characters showed up. It almost killed me to wait so long to see Murphy, Bob, and Butters! But now...I can only imagine how interesting it will be now that Harry is back in his position as Winter's Knight.

Any thoughts, for those who have finished it?

Telynn
07-30-2011, 07:44 PM
I think this book was intended to be the opposite of Changes. In that book Harry did what he has never done before, thrown way his moral compass and focused on saving Maggie. No matter what. So that book was almost too fast and furious. It went at breakneck speed as he plowed over anything that stood in his way. This book had to be slower. Harry had to have time to see the damage done by what he did. He had to learn to stop and think once in a while instead of go-go-go all the time. I love Butters even more then ever before! Not liking the turn Murphy is taking and boy is she gonna be pissed at Harry when she finds out he staged his own death. My new favorite quote. "Gandalf never had this kind of problem."

Darkthoughts
07-31-2011, 04:02 AM
Haha!! Yes, Tel - I was er...just testing you... :blush:

Telynn
07-31-2011, 04:49 PM
I know I said the quote in the spoiler above was a new favorite, this snippit is close. I loved this!

"Hey," He croaked. "You. Arrogant bitch ghost."
"I'm not really into this whole hero thing," Mort said. "Don't have the temperament for it. Don't know a lot about the villain side of the equation, either." He planted his feet,facing the Corpsetaker squarely, his hands clenched into fist at his side.
"But it seems to me, you half-wit, that you probably shouldn't have left a freaking ectomancer a pit full of wraiths to play with.'