PDA

View Full Version : Six Feet Under

Mattrick
02-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Did see any threads on this great show. Then I wondered how this could possibly be, so I made this one.

If you haven't seen this show then you shouldn't be reading this thread but going to Blockbuster (or your country's equivalent) and renting yourself this amazing series.

For those that don't know, it tells the story of The Fisher Family who, after years have been reunited due to the death of Nathaniel Fisher, the owner of Fisher and Son Funeral Services, which is run out of their home.

It's a beautiful and brilliant show and, in my opinion, the only television show I've seen which I would consider art. The philosophical questions raised about mortality, death and life itself. The way it delves into family dynamics, interpersonal relationships and psychology is brilliant. Only could Alan Ball, writer of American Beauty, capture life so delicately and beautifully.

Who else loves this amazing show which is now R.I.P. 2000-2005. Also, the best finale to any show I've seen.

Erin
02-19-2008, 07:10 PM
Seriously, Six Feet Under is the best television show I have ever watched.

The series finale, and the couple episodes before it, moved me more than any TV show or movie ever has. I must have gone through a box of tissues watching them.

Really, if you haven't seen the show yet and you are in this thread.....RUN TO BLOCKBUSTER!

OchrisO
02-19-2008, 07:35 PM
It was one of the most interesting and emotionally moving series to ever grace television.

jayson
02-20-2008, 04:19 AM
I enjoyed the show as well, though I have to admit, I found the last episode a bit cheesy. Still, overall I thought it was a very strong show with a great cast and excellent writing.

Grillslinger
02-20-2008, 06:46 AM
I enjoyed the show as well, though I have to admit, I found the last episode a bit cheesy. Still, overall I thought it was a very strong show with a great cast and excellent writing.

I won't spoil anything, but I will say that Six Feet Under had one of the best series endings I've ever seen. I dn't think it could have been better.

This series was great from start to finish.

Mattrick
02-20-2008, 03:10 PM
Favourite characters anyone?

1. Nate
2. David
3. George Sibley
4. Nathaniel
5. Billy
6. Brenda

Honourable mentions go to - Nikolai for being hilarious, Bettina and Claire for her amazing good looks.

childeluke
02-20-2008, 09:03 PM
not the best show i ever watched...Carnivale is. However, it is the best COMPLETE show i have ever watched. I almost cried during the last episode.

Erin
02-20-2008, 09:10 PM
David is by far my favorite character. I really couldn't stand Keith though. Ug Keith.

blake316
02-21-2008, 02:50 AM
Just bought the box set, on the second series at the mo. It is fantastic.

Erin
02-21-2008, 02:51 AM
It is super great! Did you get the really cool box set with the fake grass growing on top?

blake316
02-21-2008, 02:53 AM
No! Didnt see that, its like a big tombstone, no fake grass though (sob)

Erin
02-21-2008, 03:01 AM
Yea, it's awesome, but really expensive. :(

Check it out

blake316
02-21-2008, 03:06 AM
That is pretty cool though. The one I found was fairly reasonable price but no fake grass!
Just noticed you like Tom Petty! Awesome - just putting together a concert DVD of his (well, when Im not on here)

Erin
02-21-2008, 03:12 AM
:o Neato!

I'm going to see him in concert July 8th. Time can't go by quick enough. :dance: What type of concert footage are you using? Stuff you've shot yourself?

blake316
02-21-2008, 03:17 AM
I wish! Its just a compilation of his 80s tv appearances - Farm Aid, Mtv awards etc its pretty cool, didnt know he was touring at the mo!

jayson
02-21-2008, 04:16 AM
David is by far my favorite character. I really couldn't stand Keith though. Ug Keith.

same here Erin. David and Claire were the only characters I could say I would like as people. david i think is the one who grew the most as a character since the start of the show and it was nice to see what a great parent he became to those two little boys. Nate was just a terrible person IMO. I loved Nikolai [but perhaps because I think of him as Leo the deli owner from Curb Your Enthusiasm].

I will say this, Jeremey Sisto did a great acting job as Billy bc now he is on Law & Order and I can't think of him as anything other than "Detective Crazy Billy."

Seymour_Glass
02-06-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm only partway (less than half) through the second season, and Nate is the character I most relate to.

Aaron
02-06-2009, 07:39 PM
This was a really excellent show. It's been a while since I finished it, so I might have to rewatch it eventually. My favorite was always David, or more pointedly--David with Keith. Without him he tended to make reeeaaally stupid decisions. I knid of miss watching this, now that I think of it. :(

Heather19
02-07-2009, 09:03 AM
I really miss this show. I did prefer the first few seasons over the later ones though, but as a whole it was still one of the better series on tv at the time.
Nate would probably be my favorite character. I also really liked Freddy Rodriguez in the show, and wish they used him a bit more.

I will say this, Jeremey Sisto did a great acting job as Billy bc now he is on Law & Order and I can't think of him as anything other than "Detective Crazy Billy."

And I completely agree about Jeremy. He definitely played crazy Billy quite well.

jayson
02-07-2009, 09:21 AM
I wanted to like Nate. I certainly did at first. As time went on, I began to realize what a terrible person Nate was.

Mattrick
02-07-2009, 10:24 AM
I wanted to like Nate. I certainly did at first. As time went on, I began to realize what a terrible person Nate was.

I always felt that Nate was the most sane person in the family. And the more time he spent with his family and around the business he went more and more crazy.

I've gotten my girlfriend into this show, as well as LOST and she loves it. We're on episode 3 of season 4. Just two episode away from The episode where David picks up that hitchhiker, which is awesome

TheJoker1x
02-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Six Feet Under was the first show my Wife and I watched together.
Simply amazing is the best way to describe how well this show was put together.
We ended up buying the complete collection on DVD so we can watch it again and again.
I hope DVD players are still around in years to come, so our kids can watch them when they are old enough. (18+, lol)

We are now enjoying his new series, "True Blood".

Aaron
02-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Nate wasnt a great guy as the show progressed, but I think a lot of that was because he lived doing the things that other people were afraid to do. He was selfish. But it also did affect him. A good example was Lisa...

When Lisa died it tore him up. The reason that it bothered him so much is because prior to her death he wanted her gone; he wanted freedom from her and his bad decision to marry her. And then it came in a nice little package for him, and it fucked him up. As though his desire to have her gone was responsible for her death.

So I dont know that he was a completely terrible person, but he certainly resented anything and anyone that came between him and himself. The only problem with that is that he constantly wanted to play the savior, even though it made him miserable almost every time. I think he was actually a pretty accurately portrayed character. He seemed real and he behaved the way that so many of us often do.

jayson
02-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Good observations Aaron. He was written and acted well and thus came off as very realistic. I just found it hard to empathize with him because he was so exceptionally selfish. It definitely affected him, but not enough that he'd ever learn from his mistakes.

Getting involved with Maggie while Brenda was helping raising his kid was not an act that won Nate much endearment here.

Then again, he was hardly the only selfish one of the Fisher clan. Perhaps it was just a family trait.

Aaron
02-10-2009, 11:39 AM
That's definitely true. Yeah, I would say Nate's actions during the final season were definitely his most selfish. It was like he was purposely sabotaging himself.

jayson
02-10-2009, 12:16 PM
I think in a lot of ways he was doing it at least somewhat on purpose, perhaps...

As some kind of "punishment" for what happened to Lisa