PDA

View Full Version : Joyland to be adapted as TV series

Ari_Racing
05-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Tate Taylor, who launched his writing and directing career by getting the option on The Help before author Kathryn Stockett was done writing it, has gotten himself on the ground floor of another sure-fire bestseller. Taylor has been granted an option by Stephen King to adapt and direct Joyland, the King novel that will be published in June. Taylor will adapt to direct, and John Norris will produce through his Wyolah Films banner. Taylor will also produce.

Set in a small town North Carolina amusement park in 1973, Joyland tells the story of a college student who moonlights as a carnival worker. There, he confronts the legacy of a vicious murder, the fate of a dying child, and the ways both will forever change his life. It’s got all the makings of a King potboiler, with crime, mystery, ghosts and a creepy carnival setting. The book is being published through Hard Case Crime, the line of pulp-styled crime paperbacks published by Titan Books.

Taylor has several other projects he’s developing, including a biopic of James Brown with Imagine’s Brian Grazer and Mick Jagger. King likes to see action, though. He options his books for little money upfront, but with a ticking clock attached to it. CAA reps Taylor, and Paradigm reps King.

Source (http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/stephen-king-options-upcoming-novel-joyland-to-the-help-helmer-tate-taylor/)

CyberGhostface
05-02-2013, 04:38 PM
lol I love how the book hasn't even come out yet and there's already a movie lined up.

Bev Vincent
05-02-2013, 05:04 PM
That was true of The Talisman, too...

Ari_Racing
05-02-2013, 06:06 PM
And if I'm not wrong, Cujo as well.

Bev Vincent
05-03-2013, 02:10 AM
I'm not sure about Cujo, but Christine started filming before the book was released. The book and the film came out the same year.

herbertwest
05-03-2013, 02:45 AM
It was the case for THE MIST (according to Stephen Jones).

Bev Vincent
05-03-2013, 03:20 AM
Demme optioned 11/22/63 before the book came out, too.

Ari_Racing
05-03-2013, 05:44 AM
I'm not sure about Cujo, but Christine started filming before the book was released. The book and the film came out the same year.

Yes, it was Christine. My mistake.

Bev Vincent
10-31-2018, 09:48 AM
Joyland is in the works for the small screen. Freeform has put into development Joyland, a series based on the King novel, from writers Chris Peña (Jane the Virgin) and Cyrus Nowrasteh (The Stoning of Soraya M.) and Bill Haber’s Ostar Productions (Valor).

Joyland tells the story of Devin, a college student who takes a summer job at an amusement park in a North Carolina tourist town, confronts the legacy of a vicious murder, the fate of a dying child and the way both will change his life forever.

Peña and Nowrasteh are set to write the pilot script and produce. Haber will executive produce via his Ostar Productions.

Veteran producer Haber served as executive producer on the CW’s Beauty and the Beast, TNT’s Rizzoli & Isles and most recently CW’s military drama series Valor.

“We are honored to be working with Stephen King – a master storyteller who understands the importance of culturally embedded tales that resonate with audiences on a deeply personal level,” said Karey Burke, executive vice president, Programming and Development, Freeform. “We can’t wait for Joyland to become part of Freeform’s offerings and haunt our viewers as only Stephen can.”

>>> Source (https://deadline.com/2018/10/stephen-king-joyland-novel-adapted-tv-series-freeform-1202492978/)

CyberGhostface
10-31-2018, 09:49 AM
A bit disappointing that this is becoming a television show. A story as short as this would work better as a single film directed by someone like Mike Flanagan. Hope it's better than all the other Stephen King shows we've been getting lately at least.

NoAttitudeThisTime
10-31-2018, 11:25 AM
If it's as good as the Mr. Mercedes show, I'm all in. But, yeah, a feature film from such a short novel makes more sense