The New York Times at Special Bargain Rates
Mute
Ayana
A Very Tight Place
The Cat from Hell

Best!

Bev Vincent
02-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Plus one possible bonus story to be decided yet. I've asked for clarification about "N," which I've never heard of before.

Bev Vincent
02-19-2008, 12:31 PM
N is the confirmed title of the story.

NeedfulKings
02-19-2008, 12:49 PM
Thanks, Ari and Bev.

"N", huh??? That title alone has me curious. :D

Cloysterpete
02-22-2008, 01:45 PM
Courtesy of Liljah's Library.

Lilja: You also have a collection of short stories coming out.

Stephen King: I do.

Lilja: Will it be out this year?

Stephen King: I think it’s gonna come out in…November. We went back and forth about the title. I wanted to call it Unnatural Acts of Human Intercourse.

Lilja: Yeah, I remember reading about that and also Pocket Rockets?

Stephen King: Yeah.

Lilja: Are there usually this many titles flying around?

Stephen King: You know, books with short stories are hard to title unless you name them after one of the stories and when I finally settled on the title I thought, “gee, Unnatural Acts of Human Intercourse, that is a really good title” but they had a shit-fit. [laughs]

Lilja: [laughs] Yeah, I read that the publisher thought they would have a really hard time promoting it.

Stephen King: Yeah, “We can’t sell this, we blah, blah, blah” and I said “Well, look in your dictionary man, intercourse doesn’t even have anything to do with sex”. It’s what we’re doing right now. We’re having a conversation back and forth.

Lilja: Yeah, I liked that title. I was hoping for it but I guess Just Past Sunset is good as well…

Stephen King: Yeah, it’s like Nightshift and Four Past Midnight. It has some of that vibe to it so if they like that, it’s fine.

Lilja: Is it easier to name books that aren’t collections?

Stephen King: Yes! Cause the titles always kinda suggest themselves after a while. The only time I ever had a problem was the vampire book I wanted to call Second Coming and someone said it sounds like a sex manual.

Lilja: [laughs]

Stephen King: So, we ended up calling that one something else.

Lilja: Will all the previously published but uncollected stories be in the collection?

Stephen King: Now, I’m not supposed to talk to you about that very much… I think there’s like 13 stories in the collection, which is a good number of stories for a collection of scary stories.

Most of them are the ones that have been published in magazines but haven’t been collected. There is one story that is brand new that is called N. Just the letter N with a period after it and that’s a long story and you know, you could guess… The long stories like The Gingerbread Girl are gonna be in there and there is one other long one that hasn’t been published yet that’s called A Very Tight Place so those will be kind of the cornerstones and the anchors to it and the other ones … the stories that aren’t going to be in there are the ones that developed into novels, Lisey and the Madman and Memory. They won’t be in there.

Ruthful
02-23-2008, 11:45 AM
Someone on another thread implied that the story was an exploration of the racial slur dissected so lucidly by Professor Randall Kennedy so many years ago.

If so, then it could make for an intriguing story.

tippy4
02-29-2008, 07:32 PM
I really hope they produce a S/L edition of this.

The last NEW book that was UNEXPECTED to be turned into a S/L as far as I am concerned was From a Buick 8 back in 2002.

I know what you are thinking...there have been tons of S/Ls since then. Let me explain:

We all knew there was going to be a S/L of DT5, DT6, and DT7 years before they were published.

Additionally, the S/Ls of Green Mile, Salem's Lot, the forthcoming Revised Gunslinger, and Colorado Kid were all books that had been out for years (in some cases a decade or two).

Transgressions, Postscripts 10 and Quietly Now were multi-author compilations.

SoD was just a reprint of previously released material.

What I am saying is that I am looking forward to hearing an announcment about a Signed Limited edition that is solely the work of Stephen King, and does not contain previously released material!

jhanic
03-01-2008, 05:00 AM
Keeping my fingers crossed! A s/l would be great!

John

Randall Flagg
03-01-2008, 06:30 AM
It would seem unlikely to happen, since the book is to be released in 8 months and not a word-officially, has been mentioned.

tippy4
03-01-2008, 08:35 AM
See, we are so used to dealing with outfits like Cemetary Dance, that we don't think that 8 months is enough time to produce a book!

Wouldn't it be nice if someone would announce a Signed/Limited Stephen King book, and have it shipping within four months of the announcement?

AND have it ship the same week that the trade edition is released.

Dare to dream!

And, as long as I am dreaming...not bill your credit card until they actually ship the book!

Randall Flagg
03-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Gently wakes tippy from dream

tippy4
03-01-2008, 11:09 AM
:yawn: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ........wha!?

Damn it Randall....why did you wake me?

I was just coming to the best part of the dream....where the book only costs $250!

jemaher
03-01-2008, 11:22 AM
That could happen!

Patrick
03-01-2008, 03:09 PM
:rofl: I like your dream, Tippy.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-02-2008, 02:06 AM
We will probably only get a Christmas Gift Edition with facsimile signature on a bookplate from Hodder & Stoughton. Yuuuuk!

Randall Flagg
06-07-2008, 10:03 AM
Ari, you can add 'The Cat from Hell" and 'The New York Times at Special Bargain Rates' to the list.

Ari_Racing
06-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Thanks!
Actually "The new york times.." already appeared in my list but not The Cat from hell :)

Thank you!

jhanic
06-07-2008, 10:33 AM
I figure the proof for this should be out in August/September. I'll start looking a couple weeks before that.

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-14-2008, 06:29 AM
I thought you might like to see the 3 different versions I have of the UK "Just After Sunset", so far. I am still waiting on the Hodder & Stoughton Limited Edition Collector's Edition.

UK Hardback - UK Paperback - UK Sampler (All by H&S)

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/563/sunset_t.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/563/sunset_t1.jpg

Room 217 Caretaker
11-14-2008, 06:37 AM
I thought you might like to see the 3 different versions I have of the UK "Just After Sunset", so far. I am still waiting on the Hodder & Stoughton Limited Edition Collector's Edition.

UK Hardback - UK Paperback - UK Sampler (All by H&S)

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/563/sunset_t.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/563/sunset_t1.jpg

Where did you get the covers for the paperback versions?

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-14-2008, 07:03 AM

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

This is covered in another thread somewhere, but I get them from DM Packaging in the UK. You can get them locally in the USA. I cover all my paperbacks and proofs with them. They come in hundreds of sizes.

http://www.care4books.com/packaging/page.asp?type=cat&pid=4&cid=1

Room 217 Caretaker
11-14-2008, 08:44 AM

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

This is covered in another thread somewhere, but I get them from DM Packaging in the UK. You can get them locally in the USA. I cover all my paperbacks and proofs with them. They come in hundreds of sizes.

http://www.care4books.com/packaging/page.asp?type=cat&pid=4&cid=1

Thanks.

Looking for the thread now.

I've always covered my HB's with archival Brodarts but could never find anything satisfactory for proofs, paperbacks, etc.

Thanks again.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

jhanic
11-14-2008, 09:07 AM
Maybe someone should add this info under the Covering your books thread in the Collecting Tutorials. Again, some really good information!

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-14-2008, 09:22 AM
Maybe someone should add this info under the Covering your books thread in the Collecting Tutorials. Again, some really good information!

John

It's already there John. I remember posting it.

jhanic
11-14-2008, 06:16 PM
According to Ric, who posted at the Forums at StephenKingCollector.com, he went to Walmart and all they had were second printings already! Amazing!

John

Brice
11-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Then I am sure glad I found my first at Walmart the other morning.

Jackie
11-14-2008, 09:52 PM
I still need to get a copy of this to read, my signed copy is on a shelf where it will remain in mint condition :lol:

Sam
11-14-2008, 10:46 PM
I'm reading my copy Jackie. I'm reading it!! I still can't believe I have a book that Stephen King signed for me.:nana:

jhanic
11-18-2008, 12:41 PM
Anyone ever see this edition? The seller says the publisher is Simon & Schuster and the language is English, but this is a REALLY different cover!

German Just After Sunset (http://cgi.ebay.com/Just-After-Sunset-Stephen-King-Kein-Porto_W0QQitemZ390009784445QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBell etristik?hash=item390009784445&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318)

John

Pasiuk57
11-18-2008, 02:10 PM
pretty interesting John!
I just sent him an email asking for more detail
More soon
Sometimes it helps to speak German!
Mike

Bev Vincent
11-18-2008, 02:12 PM
The ISBNs in the ad are the same as for the US hardcover

The Lady of Shadows
11-18-2008, 02:19 PM
I'm reading my copy Jackie. I'm reading it!! I still can't believe I have a book that Stephen King signed for me.:nana:

you get that roaming bear drunk and you won't have that book for long mister! :evil:

:lol:

Randall Flagg
11-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Rant:
The cover of the US version sucks in several ways

Stickers applied by most retailers leave a noticeable residue. Common cleaning tactics help, but the black color of the DJ always seems to show some residual adhesive, and if not, a slight, but noticeable difference in the cleaned area.
The DJ is extremely prone to scuff marks, which cannot be removed.
Costco had 50 on sale and half of them had a printing error which resulted in a line running straight down the DJ. Some were on the front, some where on the back, but all were quite prominent.
Ordering from Amazon gets you a book with no sticker, but it's packed in the least protective way one could imagine.
The cover sucks!
End of rant

mae
11-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Rant:

Stickers applied by most retailers leave a noticeable residue. Common cleaning tactics help, but the black color of the DJ always seems to show some residual adhesive, and if not, a slight, but noticeable difference in the cleaned area.
Costco had 50 on sale and half of them had a printing error which resulted in a line running straight down the DJ. Some were on the front, some where on the back, but all were quite prominent.
Ordering from Amazon gets you a book with no sticker, but it's packed in the least protective way one could imagine.
The cover sucks!
End of rant

With all due respect, I must disagree. As you can see by my avatar, I totally dig this cover. I think it's brilliant. I got my copy from Amazon and it came securely shrinkwrapped to a piece of cardboard inside a box. So it arrived in mint condition, not a scuff on it. The jacket is virginal, and a marvel to behold. I can stare in it for hours :) Well, seconds... but it's really fun. Plus I love that deep orange spine and back cover, as well as the flaps. I dunno, I think this is one of the better designed King books ever. I'll be sure to nominate the cover when we do the Best Cover nominations for the Constant Reader Awards.

Randall Flagg
11-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Pablo, scan your DJ and post the scan here. I would love to see it.
BTW, I'm not criticizing the graphics, just the nature of the DJ.

mae
11-18-2008, 02:48 PM
I don't have a scanner, sorry. But it's like what you see anywhere: shiny and sleek.

fernandito
11-18-2008, 02:50 PM
I agree with Pablo - I think that cover looks awesome.

I'm planning on picking this up today at Borders :D

The Lady of Shadows
11-18-2008, 02:50 PM
mine came from amazon.com securely shrinkwrapped to a piece of cardboard and then packed inside a box with two piece of that plastic that is filled with air. in fact, it was so securely shrinkwrapped to the piece of cardboard i had to ponder how to un-shrinkwrap it without damaging the book. :wtf:

i haven't been by any bookstores or costco to see what their stock looks like yet, though. i'm not going to hold my breath. . . .

Randall Flagg
11-18-2008, 02:53 PM
I know there is a prismatic effect on the cover resulting in rainbow colors being seen at a 45° angle, but I speak of simple scuff marks and scratches.

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/7684/examplezc1.jpg

The Lady of Shadows
11-18-2008, 02:54 PM
wait. what? what cover is that?

mae
11-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Nope, not a single scuff on mine. Try exchanging yours with Amazon. Say yours got damaged in transit.

I'm happy I placed that order for the Brodart covers. It'll be fun covering my books.

Fsmdr
11-18-2008, 03:33 PM
No scuff marks on my Amazon collector's copy, but on the copy from Costco, I tried to remove the price sticker and it actually took off a very thin film off the dustjacket!. Good thing it was my reading copy.

gsvec
11-20-2008, 03:40 PM
I got my SK signed copy from Odyssey Books yesterday!! :excited: No scuffs, etc., and it's going undercover (aka Brodart) shortly!

Brice
11-22-2008, 09:11 AM
Rant:

The cover sucks!
End of rant

Another problem with those stickers stores insist on putting on stuff: When I took the sticker off mine that neat prismatic film/coating peeled off with it. :(

jhanic
11-22-2008, 09:53 AM
At least the 30% off sticker Borders used didn't do that. (I peeled it off in the store before I bought the book to make sure!)

John

Brice
11-22-2008, 09:57 AM
I didn't until a day or so later and I'm not sure I have the reciept still.

jhanic
11-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Even if you don't have the receipt, I'd take it back and show them what happened. I'll bet they'll replace it with a good one.

John

tippy4
11-25-2008, 06:52 AM
I just got an email from Borders.

Just After Sunset will be on sale at 50% off the cover price on Friday 11/28/08.

Or, you can go Wednesday if you print this coupon.

http://www.borders.com/online/store/MediaView_bfpass?cmpid=SA_20081125_REW

Cutter
11-25-2008, 08:29 AM
I like the size and look of the sampler.

LostAlivE
11-26-2008, 01:04 AM
I got my regular edition from Amazon.com and the effect on the cover was messed up. Parts of the cover had the effects and parts of it didn't. Kinda of stripped I guess you could say.:rose:

bast_imret
11-26-2008, 04:25 AM
I just got an email from Borders.

Just After Sunset will be on sale at 50% off the cover price on Friday 11/28/08.

Or, you can go Wednesday if you print this coupon.

http://www.borders.com/online/store/MediaView_bfpass?cmpid=SA_20081125_REW

thanks for the link tippy!

alinda
11-26-2008, 05:02 AM
I so want to buy this one!! :excited: Thanks for the link tippy 4 :D

jhanic
11-26-2008, 06:26 AM
Return the book and tell them you want a new copy. I had to do this with my copy from Amazon.co.uk and they sent me a new copy and told me to keep and donate the messed up copy.

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-26-2008, 09:50 AM
I got both my Scribner editions from Amazon.com and they were in perfect condition and the packaging was great. Well boxed.

I got my Scribner JAS Proof today as well. (From eBay)

bast_imret
11-28-2008, 01:27 PM
picked up a copy at books a million for 40% off today. Turns out there's no borders around my parents house.Picked through all the copies they had out until i found the copy with the best jacket :) They had a copy of the CE, but it wasn't eligible for the sale pricing :(

Room 217 Caretaker
12-05-2008, 08:03 AM
UK Just After Sunset limited release.

I like it. Glad I ordered one. It's being released very soon.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

jon10g
12-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Do you have a date for the release?

Room 217 Caretaker
12-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Do you have a date for the release?

It is my understanding the books are being sent from the publisher on December 16th. It's hard telling when they will actually show up in designated stores.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Cloysterpete
12-05-2008, 11:18 AM
where that from mulleins?, is that the UK version of the dvd pack thing?. Did you buy it direct from Hodder?.

Room 217 Caretaker
12-05-2008, 12:25 PM
where that from mulleins?, is that the UK version of the dvd pack thing?. Did you buy it direct from Hodder?.

The picture is from a contact in the UK. It's a legit picture of the release. You can say you saw it here first :cool:

It is the UK Limited release with letter and DVD

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Ruthful
12-05-2008, 01:13 PM
I'm halfway through, and I'm enjoying it so far. It's not nearly as good as his last short story collection, Everything's Eventual, but it's still pretty good. I'm glad I finally had the opportunity to read "Stationary Bike."

Cloysterpete
12-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Nice find mulleins, i'll keep an eye out for it on Amazon. I swore to myself I would never buy a Hodder book with that awful font but I can see myself breaking that rule for this release, besides I need that DVD too.

jhanic
12-05-2008, 04:18 PM
This special numbered edition was discussed in a separate thread:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=5714

It was available from Hatchards (this is where I ordered a copy) but I don't see it on their site anymore. I've not seen it anywhere else except a few auctions on eBay (there are a couple out there right now Ltd Just After Sunset (http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQLHQ5fPrefLocZ2QQ_dmptZUSQ5fFictionQ5fBooksQQ_ sopZ3?_nkw=%22stephen+king%22+sunset+ltd&_sacat=0&_fromfsb=&_trksid=m270.l1313&_odkw=%22stephen+king%22+sunset&_osacat=0)). I haven't seen it anywhere on Amazon.

Here's the Hatchards site:

http://www.hatchards.co.uk/

It had been under the Special Editions tab. All they have there now are the artist-signed Colorado Kid volumes.

John

Room 217 Caretaker
12-05-2008, 04:58 PM
This special numbered edition was discussed in a separate thread:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=5714

It was available from Hatchards (this is where I ordered a copy) but I don't see it on their site anymore. I've not seen it anywhere else except a few auctions on eBay (there are a couple out there right now Ltd Just After Sunset (http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQLHQ5fPrefLocZ2QQ_dmptZUSQ5fFictionQ5fBooksQQ_ sopZ3?_nkw=%22stephen+king%22+sunset+ltd&_sacat=0&_fromfsb=&_trksid=m270.l1313&_odkw=%22stephen+king%22+sunset&_osacat=0)). I haven't seen it anywhere on Amazon.

Here's the Hatchards site:

http://www.hatchards.co.uk/

It had been under the Special Editions tab. All they have there now are the artist-signed Colorado Kid volumes.

John

Thank you John.

I remembered a thread was started for this edition but I couldn't find it. So I posted it here. Sorry about that. Hope no one thinks I was trying to hijack this thread.

I ordered mine through Hatchards. I wouldn't be surprised if it's not sold out already. Sort of a hot item in the UK right now.

I like the looks of it.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

jhanic
12-06-2008, 04:54 PM
According to Odyssey Books' ad in ABE for a signed Collector's Edition of Just After Sunset, there were only 25,000 copies of the Collector's Edition published. I wonder where they got the information and how accurate it is.

Signed Collector's Edition (http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetails?bi=1225033954)

John

carlosdetweiller
12-06-2008, 05:07 PM
According to Odyssey Books' ad in ABE for a signed Collector's Edition of Just After Sunset, there were only 25,000 copies of the Collector's Edition published. I wonder where they got the information and how accurate it is.

John

I don't know if their information is accurate or not but I notice that they have really increased their asking price for the signed copies. $600! Wow! A lot of us on this message board got them earlier for $250.

Room 217 Caretaker
12-06-2008, 05:11 PM
I waited late and paid $300. Still not a bad price for this signed collectors set. IMO

I think he only had 40 signed of this edition.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Fsmdr
12-06-2008, 07:59 PM
I paid $300 as well, thanks to Bob's early posting. :thumbsup:

Randall Flagg
12-07-2008, 08:54 AM
I waited late and paid $300. Still not a bad price for this signed collectors set. IMO

Mulleins
Cumberland VA
I recall asking and being told 75.

Room 217 Caretaker
12-07-2008, 10:35 AM

Mulleins
Cumberland VA
I recall asking and being told 75.

I couldn't remember. I need to update my Book collector software to reflect 75 and not 40.

Thanks RF

Mulleins
Cumberland VA