PDA

View Full Version : Haunting of Hill House - Netflix

Merlin1958
10-17-2018, 04:04 PM
Okay, so I just saw that this show is available on, Netflix and I've begun watching it. I didn't see a thread in, Fedic however if I missed something feel free to merge as the Mods see fit.

I imagine folks around here will want to discuss their thoughts on the show, so have at it people. Mark spoilers as appropriate as I'm sure people will be at different stages/episodes.

FWIW, I'm optomistic that this will be a good rendition of the classic novel. Let the viewing begin and the discussions abound!!!! Let us know what you think!!!

Ricky
10-17-2018, 05:42 PM
I've seen nothing but positive reviews, so I'm optimistic. There's so much I want to get to this Halloween season, but I'm hoping to start it sooner rather than later.

SystemCrashOverRide
10-18-2018, 06:00 AM
Watched the show in its entirety already, I really thoroughly enjoyed it and was sad when it was through. Found myself wanting more, so I rewatched the classic film shortly afterwards just to scratch the itch.

The show has lots of long, slow zoom and pan shots, lots of long single takes and lots of Easter eggs in frame, so I found the camera work and cinematography to be absolutely brilliant. I could say lots about the "horror" aspects, but I dont want to venture off towards spoilers - so I'll leave that for you to discover as you watch, suffice it to say that I quite enjoyed the series.

If they somehow could pull a second season out if their ass, I would watch that too, but it has a fantastic arc and structure so I'm highly doubtful it will be revisited.

fernandito
10-18-2018, 08:17 AM
Was going to dismiss this show as 'just' another Netflix Original, but I've been reading nothing but good things about it.

Maybe I'll make it a Halloween viewing.

mae
10-18-2018, 08:28 AM
https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1052375524192980993

THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE, revised and remodeled by Mike Flanagan. I don't usually care for this kind of revisionism, but this is great. Close to a work of genius, really. I think Shirley Jackson would approve, but who knows for sure.

Mattrick
10-20-2018, 03:07 AM
I had no interest in this because I just have no inclination to rewatch Netflix original shows, but then I saw as I looked up him last night when I watched Hush that Mike Flanagan was involved in this series, and he's great. I'll have to check it out.

Andi
10-20-2018, 02:31 PM
Absolutely LOVED it.

Earl of Popkin
10-23-2018, 08:11 AM
Finished this last night and loved the shit out of it. I think this kind of horror where they give you a variety of tropes to mess with you is my fave. That tall bastard with the bowler hat (Will Hill I think? Seriously with that name?) really creeped me out

Can not recommend enough

webstar1000
10-23-2018, 08:21 AM
Finished this last night and loved the shit out of it. I think this kind of horror where they give you a variety of tropes to mess with you is my fave. That tall bastard with the bowler hat (Will Hill I think? Seriously with that name?) really creeped me out

Can not recommend enough

I AGREE 100%.. this show is how its done.. Can we not be Netflix enemies now? :couple:

Earl of Popkin
10-23-2018, 09:17 AM

Can not recommend enough

I AGREE 100%.. this show is how its done.. Can we not be Netflix enemies now? :couple:

This is exactly what one of the Hill ghosts would’ve said right as I made it to the top of the spiral staircase!!

Earl of Popkin
10-23-2018, 09:18 AM
Not a spoiler but Q about a later episode

did they ever pay off the guy fixing the clock? (Witness Marks) what was the point of him? Was he just there for Steve’s enlightenment moment? I think I missed something there.

Brian861
10-28-2018, 11:24 AM

Can not recommend enough

Absolutely loved this series! Binged it over my days off last week. And Tall Bastard, if that's what we're going to call him :wtf: was my fav!

Earl of Popkin
11-02-2018, 08:41 AM
Damn this is some cold shit but I gotta say I think I would’ve loved this ending for season 1

https://geektyrant.com/news/the-haunting-of-hill-house-had-an-alternate-ending-that-was-darker-and-more-depressing

Ricky
11-02-2018, 09:13 AM
I watched the first episode on Halloween and I gotta say, I was really underwhelmed. I thought it was slow, boring, and unfocused. I've heard it gets better but I'm not too enthusiastic to jump back in.

Earl of Popkin
11-02-2018, 09:24 AM
I watched the first episode on Halloween and I gotta say, I was really underwhelmed. I thought it was slow, boring, and unfocused. I've heard it gets better but I'm not too enthusiastic to jump back in.

I was the exact same. Watched first ep, thought meh. I was a little more ‘whelmed’ by the 2nd, which I watched a couple days later but still nothing life changing. Episodes 3-10 I watched within 24 hours with the lights off, the volume up, and didn’t even think about playing with my phone, etc.

Slow and boring are subjective but you will definitely no longer think it’s unfocused if you keep watching. Shit will get tight as fuck in terms of story.

Ricky
11-02-2018, 01:14 PM
Well that's hopeful. Hopefully I feel the same way. :thumbsup:

Br!an
11-07-2018, 11:31 AM

I didn't make it through the first 15 minutes. :nope:

SystemCrashOverRide
11-07-2018, 12:51 PM

Then you've done yourself a disservice.

Don't get me wrong, you've every reason not to give it the time of day and to decide to turn it off, to each there own and all that - but it really does pick up steam and become more than worth the time invested.

Br!an
11-07-2018, 12:57 PM

Then you've done yourself a disservice.

Don't get me wrong, you've every reason not to give it the time of day and to decide to turn it off, to each there own and all that - but it really does pick up steam and become more than worth the time invested.

I haven't given up on it completely. I just couldn't watch it anymore at the time. I wanted to watch something that was interesting and it simply wasn't at the time.

Earl of Popkin
11-07-2018, 01:01 PM
I’ve already showered it with praise so I won’t beat that horse but I rewatched episode 6 last night...a thing I rarely do. Not only an incredible episode, but it’s a 50 minute episode. And it’s basically 5 long scenes...one of them clocking at about 17 minutes, which is pretty remarkable for one take. And half the ep is flashbacks using kids and they crush it too. Pretty amazing. Can not recommend enough

Brian861
11-07-2018, 01:09 PM
If you loved Castle Rock, you'll hate this........

Earl of Popkin
11-07-2018, 02:39 PM
If you loved Castle Rock, you'll hate this........

Nice. This should be a legit logarithm that gets used for people that get off on hate watching.

If you like Gunslinger, you’ll hate Rose Madder etc

If you hate Friday the 13th, you’ll love Wet Hot American Summer!!

Jon
11-10-2018, 08:36 PM
I found this well acted, written and produced. I enjoyed the repositioning of some statues.

I am in LOVE with the house though! I look at old houses like I look at old cars.

mattgreenbean
11-12-2018, 01:32 PM
I enjoyed the show. All the connections throughout the show, from past to present, were pretty cool. I didn't think the show was scary over all. Never really liked Timothy Hutton, but I thought he acted very well here. And I think Carla was great again.
But
The ending made me feel cheated. The house was a horrible place to live. People, lots of people, die there. The house eats people. For 9 episodes we were given clues into why the house was pure evil. It tricked Nell into coming back and killing herself. That wasn't the crazy ladies doing. The tall man was f'ing with Luke. And then the last episode sums it all up to "well the house is a good place where you can live forever. The crazy lady was the only bad one." Happy ending...
I was expecting an epic battle between good and evil and destroy the freaking place. Instead the show left all these trapped souls there forever. And more to come sacrifice themselves to the house...
The Dudleys were almost happy their kid died at the house. But then waited 20 years when they could have drank the rat poison right then. I was thinking they were ghosts themselves the whole time anyways.
What would I have done differently. Not have all the kids come together in one room. Divide and conquer. Dad and mom would go room to room saving the kids. Dad would stay with mom and die. Kids would set the fire Luke planned on. Kids watch the house burn. Roll credits. Obviously their lives would enhance/balance out afterwards, I don't need the Grey's Anatomy ending.
Still thought it was a pretty cool show in the end.

mae
02-21-2019, 01:45 PM
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2467265/netflixs-the-haunting-of-hill-house-now-an-anthology-series-season-2-location-revealed

Having achieved massive acclaim (if not major TV awards) for the masterful horror series The Haunting of Hill House, Netflix announced that there are a lot more scares on the way, though not at Hill House itself. The streaming service has entered into a multi-year agreement with series creator Mike Flanagan and his producing partner Trevor Macy, a deal that firmly establishes Haunting as a horror anthology and ushers in an official Season 2 renewal.

Because just a renewal announcement would be too typical and one-note, the Haunting of Hill House Twitter page dropped a clue-filled teaser urging fans to guess where Season 2 will take place. Give it a look and listen.

A new Haunting is coming. Can you guess where it takes place? Listen closely... pic.twitter.com/vqzrd3z4NZ
— The Haunting of Hill House (@haunting) February 21, 2019

For those who couldn't quite pick it out, the line heard there is: "The terrace and the whole place, the lawn and the garden beyond it, all I could see of the park, were empty with a great emptiness."

That line comes from the fourth chapter of Henry James' seminal 1898 horror novella The Turn of the Screw, which is a beyond fantastic work to pull from for Season 2 of this franchise of sorts. James' story centers on a young governess taking care of two children in a remote country home, while their official caretaker, their uncle, couldn't be less concerned. To be expected, the home is the source of possible ghostly presences, and that home's name is Bly Manor.

The Turn of the Screw has remained a classic in part due to the narrative's anecdotal nature lending to its ambiguousness and the debatability of its events. Shades of that were present in Hill House, at least among members of the family, if not within the audience. Mike Flanagan will likely bring lots of unique twists and turns to the tale – which, also like Hill House, has been adapted many times and inspired countless works since its publication.

Netflix's new deal with Mike Flanagan and Trevor Macy definitely isn't just limited to developing and producing new Haunting seasons, either, though those are included. The creative duo will also work on other new things for the streaming giant, with plans for both cinematic and televised projects.

That's not so much of a surprise, considering Mike Flanagan's last five films and Hill House were part of his partnership with Trevor Macy through the Intrepid Pictures banner, and four of those were through Netflix: Hush, Before I Wake, Gerald's Game and Hill House. You gotta go with where the success happens, especially in a genre like horror.

Mike Flanagan is currently gearing up for the release of his upcoming theatrical release Doctor Sleep, an adaptation of Stephen King's sequel to The Shining. It's his second King feature, so I think it's already time to start calling for him to take on one the horror icon's many works for Haunting's third season. Would it be weird for him to go back and do The Haunting of the Overlook Hotel?

St. Troy
02-21-2019, 04:46 PM
Flanagan is the right guy, Netflix is the right environment - this has vast potential.

Brian861
02-22-2019, 12:39 AM
I'm pretty excited to see what's in store.

Jon
02-24-2019, 03:32 PM
I'm torn.

It's a GREAT show but I want it to be canceled so I can move into that house!!! It's beautiful.

mae
03-15-2019, 09:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xvNhN1PsRw

Jon
03-19-2019, 12:52 AM
Someone told me the next shoot is in a different house. When do I move in?

mae
08-31-2020, 08:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxeiY2W03Mc

mae
09-23-2020, 11:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tykS7QfTWMQ

forevershellfish
09-30-2020, 01:31 PM
When will it be released?

Brian861
09-30-2020, 10:06 PM
When will it be released?

Someone didn't watch the trailer :) October 9th.

fernandito
10-01-2020, 07:43 AM
Fully on board with this. I thought S1 was -barring a few pacing issues- pretty phenomenal.

Brian861
10-01-2020, 09:40 AM
Fully on board with this. I thought S1 was -barring a few pacing issues- pretty phenomenal.

Same here.

Jon
10-01-2020, 08:18 PM
Yeah. I can't wait for this one.

Still Servant
10-24-2020, 02:09 PM
I haven't seen the first season, I just jumped into the second season and I have to say I think this show is perfectly splendid.

Ricky
10-24-2020, 05:01 PM
Really? I'm on episode 6 and am finding it to be incredibly slow. The first season was amazing, but this just feels blah. There's no sense of urgency and I'm not really pulled in by the plot. And I want to strangle both of those kids, especially "perfectly splendid" Flora. Everyone I've talked to also can't stand those kids. :lol:

fernandito
10-26-2020, 08:12 AM
Two episodes into S2, really digging it so far. Also, does anyone else get slightly distracted when they reuse actors for anthology series? Like, bro don't do scare her like that, she was your sister in the last season for chrissakes! :lol:

Heather19
10-26-2020, 09:59 AM
I'm 4 episodes in and enjoying it, although not nearly as much as the first season. I was expecting them to take a similar approach as the first season, where it was a new story inspired by the events of the book. This one seems to be more of a direct adaptation of the book (with some stuff added in).

Ricky
10-26-2020, 02:15 PM
Also, does anyone else get slightly distracted when they reuse actors for anthology series?

Yes, a little bit at first. Same thing with American Horror Story.

It took me a good while before I realized that Dani is Nell from last season. :lol:

Jon
10-26-2020, 11:14 PM
Also, does anyone else get slightly distracted when they reuse actors for anthology series?

Yes, a little bit at first. Same thing with American Horror Story.

It took me a good while before I realized that Dani is Nell from last season. :lol:

The Star Trek series is horrible about this.

Girlystevedave
10-27-2020, 12:25 PM
Two episodes into S2, really digging it so far. Also, does anyone else get slightly distracted when they reuse actors for anthology series? Like, bro don't do scare her like that, she was your sister in the last season for chrissakes! :lol:

Haha. I actually enjoy that aspect of it a lot. It's fun to see them in completely different roles. I especially liked the the contrast of the guy playing Luke last season and Peter this season. I thought Luke was such a heartbreaking character, so seeing him pull off being someone so despicable this time was pretty interesting.

So I finished Bly Manor last night. And.....

Am I the only one slightly let down by the episode that tells the backstory for the ghost in the lake?

Edit: I had a day or so to think on it, and I guess I'm not completely unhappy with the backstory. I just needed time to process. :lol:

Ricky
10-27-2020, 02:07 PM
Must...resist...clicking!

Maybe I'll watch more tonight. :orely:

Still Servant
10-27-2020, 05:21 PM
Really? I'm on episode 6 and am finding it to be incredibly slow. The first season was amazing, but this just feels blah. There's no sense of urgency and I'm not really pulled in by the plot. And I want to strangle both of those kids, especially "perfectly splendid" Flora. Everyone I've talked to also can't stand those kids. :lol:

That's so funny because I decided to start season 1 after jumping into season 2 first. I could not get through the first episode. I fell asleep like 3 times. I'm assuming it gets good. I really enjoyed season 2.

Heather19
10-27-2020, 05:26 PM

That's so funny because I decided to start season 1 after jumping into season 2 first. I could not get through the first episode. I fell asleep like 3 times. I'm assuming it gets good. I really enjoyed season 2.

Yes it definitely does. I think I tried like 3 different times to watch the first episode and couldn't get into it. One day I just finally powered thru it and I can guarantee it gets way better. It's such a great show and very, very creepy.

Still Servant
10-27-2020, 05:27 PM

Yes it definitely does. I think I tried like 3 different times to watch the first episode and couldn't get into it. One day I just finally powered thru it and I can guarantee it gets way better. It's such a great show and very, very creepy.

Oh that's really good to hear.

Girlystevedave
10-28-2020, 08:22 AM
I have to agree that season 1 gets better as you go along. If I'm being honest, I felt both seasons were pretty slow to develop, but I ended up loving season 1's conclusion.

Ricky
10-28-2020, 02:08 PM
Add me to the list! I found the first couple episodes of season 1 very slow and hard to get through, but it gets really good and faster and creepier.

Heather19
10-31-2020, 03:45 AM
I finished it yesterday, it was ok but it definitely wasn't at the level of season 1 for me. I do wish they had done something more similar to that as opposed to doing a more straight adaptation of the story. Also I was really missing all those creepy moments with all the ghosts wandering around the background of the scenes like in season 1.