PDA

View Full Version : Why do you collect UK editions ?

Priest
10-17-2018, 06:25 AM
I’m just on my way to Heathrow and had a question in mind that I can’t really answer...

Why do you folks (outside the UK)
collect UK first editions ?

It’s a country like any other - still awesome and beautiful:) but there is no connection to king , is it?

Why not Australien , German or anywhere else?

I mean there are some folks that do, especially within their homebase but
I see a big market for UK editions and don’t understand where that comes from.

I’m short : Why is a UK edition more desirable then any other counties first?

SystemCrashOverRide
10-17-2018, 06:50 AM
1) The grass is always greener - meaning I often prefer the UK slipcover artwork over the North American editions. I've heard UK guys say they like our covers, so yeah...always greener
2) Unlike German editions, or other editions from other countries - they're still in English. Perfectly viable to be read as a book. I own a few non-english King editions and they're nothing but art.
3) You have different limited editions - Waterstones, Goldsboro, etc , and any excuse to get in on some affordable "limited" editions is good enough.

biomieg
10-17-2018, 07:12 AM
I initially started collecting UK 1st editions simply because 1) it was ‘a thing’ that many of the bigger collectors here did when I joined the forum years ago and 2) I was intrigued by the small print runs and cool cover art of the early UK King titles.

Reading (and collecting) non-English King doesn’t make sense to me because he writes in English, which I can read, so... :smile: (translations never quite capture the spirit of the original).

So I guess to me the appeal is the combination of the original language and the desirable ‘oddities’ that are found among the UK editions.

jsweet
10-17-2018, 07:37 AM
Pretty much the same thing others are saying. I was first intrigued by the cover art. After years of seeing the same US covers, these were different and exciting. Same reason new covers (like Holdorf) are interesting to me. I don't actually read the UK editions, so I guess other non-English speaking countries should be of interest as well, but they aren't ... so let's just say no logical reason, like most collecting!

HONKYTONKSMASH
10-17-2018, 10:51 AM
Because they make me all warm and fuzzy:)

Hunchback Jack
10-17-2018, 11:56 AM
I'm from Australia originally, and so I bought and read UK editions of King until I moved to the US in the mid 90s. After that, I could still order UK editions from online bookstores, so I continued to prefer them, even though it was more expensive. When it comes to trade editions, I collect UK editions almost exclusively - the only exceptions being when there isn't a UK edition.

So it's partly nostalgia, and partly that I generally like the style of the books more than the US editions. Hodder have done a good job of making King's book feel very distinctive, I think.

HBJ

The Library Policeman
10-17-2018, 11:57 AM
Cos I live here. :D

mae
10-17-2018, 12:09 PM
As a non-collector I'll never understand the need for multiple copies of the same book, not to mention of the same edition. But I do collect US first editions or first hardcover editions (in cases like The Green Mile). Since the author is a US author it makes sense to collect his US editions. He doesn't have any input on how his books are published in the UK or anywhere else other than at home. To me, the US editions are the "official" editions. And I always prefer the US covers anyway, personally. And some US covers are just iconic at this point, like The Stand or It.

amd013
10-17-2018, 12:15 PM
Speaking of the covers, I have been wanting to have a poll of US vs UK covers. I think in general I like the US covers better, the main exceptions are the DT books.

I don't collect the UK 1st trade editions, but I do collect the Limited editions. Gave it up for about 3 months, but then jumped back in.

becca69
10-17-2018, 12:16 PM
Different cover art, lower print runs, english language.

Johnny007
10-17-2018, 12:58 PM
I collect UK SK books and find it fun for many reasons. SK received his first big check from the UK so any talk about no ties to the UK isn't completely accurate. I like the UK covers. I also liked the challenge of acquiring signed F/F copies of SK books with limited print runs. King didn't have the same distribution ties to non-English-speaking countries like he did with England/UK so finding English-signed copies was more possible than a French, Spanish, or German copy, for example.

John

herbertwest
10-17-2018, 12:59 PM
Reading (and collecting) non-English King doesn’t make sense to me because he writes in English, which I can read, so... :smile: (translations never quite capture the spirit of the original).

As a french person, I would give a different opinion since I pretty much only collect french books. The reasons being :
1) it's my native language, although I do read english
2) I have some good knowledge of King's publication in french, even the lesser known
3) less to collect, less collectors (with big money to spend on items), therefore more reachable
4) I do not want / cant afford collecting american/british editions and proofs. Too expensive. Too many collectors.
5) Over the past 10 years or so i've been managing the Club Stephen King community I have built a network of contacts at french publishers allowing me to get french ARCS/Proofs whenever it's possible

Merlin1958
10-17-2018, 01:59 PM
Different cover art, lower print runs, english language.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on the subject.

Joe315
10-17-2018, 09:13 PM
For other authors, sometimes the UK is the true first, other times the author is British so I want to read their version not the Americaniszed one.

peripheral
10-18-2018, 05:09 PM
Yeah, same as most others (covers, low print run, english). However, like HBJ, being Australian we get the UK covers (although rarely the hardcovers - the firsts that come out here are typically the large trade paperbacks) - so there's that original familiarity with the UK covers.

Father Cody
10-19-2018, 10:46 AM
Because they make me all warm and fuzzy:)

Those poor books

swintek
10-19-2018, 03:04 PM
I never really did collect UK's (starting with my early King collecting) for these reasons: Many moons ago, serious book collecting mentors had explained to me that the general rule of thumb was to collect from the author's country of origin. That any other "foreign" editions would be considered of lesser stature. That can be fudged and rationed away pretty easily, but you get the gist. And- it was also known that UK hardcovers were made cheaply with inferior materials; glued bindings prone to fail, and non acid-free paper, quickly yellowing. Things have changed since that old advice, however, and it's a "global" collectible market now.

Hunchback Jack
10-19-2018, 07:17 PM
Yeah, same as most others (covers, low print run, english). However, like HBJ, being Australian we get the UK covers (although rarely the hardcovers - the firsts that come out here are typically the large trade paperbacks) - so there's that original familiarity with the UK covers.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/1013/flag_australia.gif

webstar1000
10-21-2018, 11:47 AM
I don’t, have no intention to ever either. Just don’t interest me but signed limiteds I sure do...

Brian861
10-28-2018, 11:36 AM
I had no clue the UK editions existed until I joined this site and started collecting. I prefer most UK covers over the US is the main reason for me. Seems more thought it put into them and I love the WHSmith purple editions.

Besides, where else can you get 10,000 variants (Sleeping Beauties) :)

dnemec
10-28-2018, 05:21 PM
I had no clue the UK editions existed until I joined this site and started collecting. I prefer most UK covers over the US is the main reason for me. Seems more thought it put into them and I love the WHSmith purple editions.

I agree. For some reason, the UK covers are usually my favorites. And those purple ones... I just have a problem, and a dealer in the UK to keep me addicted. :P

Merlin1958
10-28-2018, 07:53 PM
I don’t, have no intention to ever either. Just don’t interest me but signed limiteds I sure do...

So, then you collect the British S/L's?

Brian861
10-28-2018, 11:29 PM

I agree. For some reason, the UK covers are usually my favorites. And those purple ones... I just have a problem, and a dealer in the UK to keep me addicted. :P

I have him on speed dial as well :cry:

stroppygoblin
10-29-2018, 03:05 AM

And now I have you addicted, time to put the prices up! :evil:

Brian861
10-29-2018, 10:03 AM

And we'd gladly pay it no doubt!

Beverly Marsh
11-16-2018, 05:57 AM
Thank you Simon! :biggrin1:

dnemec
11-19-2018, 11:19 AM

And we'd gladly pay it no doubt!

That's the damn problem, Brian! Of course we'd pay it!!!

Patrick
11-27-2018, 01:59 PM
Im not a completist. Often I don’t even bother buying newly released US First editions of King books unless they’re signed. For the newer releases, unsigned 1sts aren’t rare and I figure one of you will sell me one if needed. I do collect the older US Firsts however. Mostly these days, for the new books, I’m more interested in the WHSmith purple editions.