PDA

View Full Version : General Podcast Discussion

mae
08-22-2018, 08:18 AM
Since we have general discussion threads for most types of media, I thought it was overdue that we had one for podcasts. Although for whatever reason podcasts don't seem very popular with our membership, I can't get enough, personally.

I've started two threads in the past about specific podcasts (Serial (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?18838-Serial-The-Podcast) and Welcome to Night Vale (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?19188-Welcome-to-Night-Vale)) but they have been less than active, sadly.

Podcasts are extremely popular and I'm hoping listeners can share and talk about some of their favorites here. And they are so varied, be it true crime, fiction, current events, history, music, what have you. Here's a recent article about some of the best new shows out there: http://time.com/5275708/best-podcasts-of-2018-so-far/

As I've posted in various other threads, I'm currently listening to the Truth & Justice podcast, which started as a Serial fan show and has evolved greatly. I just binged all of Seasons 1 through 5 in a matter of weeks. I'm also, as I just mentioned in another thread, listening to You Must Remember Manson, a season from the You Must Remember This podcast, doing an extremely deep exploration of the Manson murders. Fascinating stuff.

I do love true crime podcasts and in the past I've also listened, am listening, or have queued up: In the Dark (astonishing and perhaps better than Serial), Someone Knows Something, S-Town (limited series from This American Life and Serial), Dirty John, Missing & Murdered, Undisclosed and Crime Writers On (both of which also started off as a Serial follow-up), Slow Burn, and a few others.

I also like some of the fictional podcasts, mainly from Night Vale Presents, such as the titular Welcome to Night Vale, but also all their other shows like Alice Isn't Dead or Within the Wires. There is also a really good and super funny new podcast called Gossip which I'm a big fan of.

On the more serious side of things, I have a bunch of current events and news podcats as well, mainly from NPR and their affiliates, you know the usual things like This American Life, Radiolab, Fresh Air, etc.

For history podcasts the best one I'm currently listening to is The History of English podcast, which goes into the evolution of the English language in excruciating detail along with history of England, from prehistoric roots of the language to modern English. Awesome and educational.

For anyone interested and LGBTQ issues, one of the best podcasts is probably Queery with Cameron Esposito. It's fun, insightful, and it can make you cry. It's helped me tons personally.

Finally, for Stephen King related stuff, check out The Losers Club from Consequence of Sound. Designed as a re-read project of King's entire oeuvre, it's much more than just that. The hosts are (pretty) knowledgeable King fans and very detail-oriented, but are also professional reviewers of media, so their book episodes are awesome and lengthy discussions about plot, characters, and all things of that sort. Just tremendous stuff, and since my commutes are long, listening at 1.25 speed (something I do for all my non-musical podcasts), I get through their 2-3 hour episodes usually in a day.

Phew! That was a lot. Sorry about that. What about y'all? :unsure:

Heather19
01-29-2019, 03:26 PM
So I just finished listening to the Dirty John podcast. So good! I started it yesterday and finished today because I couldn't stop listening :lol:

And I just started Teachers Pet. Has anyone listened to this one yet?

mae
01-29-2019, 03:36 PM
I have Teacher’s Pet in my queue and have been meaning to begin it. How is it? And have you checked out In the Dark?

Heather19
01-29-2019, 03:53 PM
I'm only part way through the second episode, but so far so good. I'll let you know as I get more into it. And no I haven't but I just added it to my list. I hadn't heard of it before but it sounds really interesting. Which season? Or would you recommend both?

mae
01-29-2019, 04:00 PM
I was completely addicted to Season 1. As I said in my first post, it might have been better than Serial's Season 1. Very disturbing and scary as the theme is child abduction. Haven't delved into Season 2 yet. Another amazing and gripping true crime series is Someone Knows Something.

Earl of Popkin
01-29-2019, 04:00 PM
Thanks for these suggestions. I really need to up my podcast game, as the majority I listen to are comedians that are just burning off material that isn’t quite good enough for the stage

mae
01-29-2019, 04:05 PM
Thanks for these suggestions. I really need to up my podcast game, as the majority I listen to are comedians that are just burning off material that isn’t quite good enough for the stage

There's definitely a place for those kinds of podcasts and I listen to some interview and Q&A-types of podcasts, but I feel like what podacsts do best is these longform investigative stories, which is why true crime podcasting is such a huge phenomenon. They even have their own cons, like Comic Con.

Heather19
01-29-2019, 04:52 PM
Yeah, the other podcast I listen to on a weekly basis is Bitch Sesh, which is 2 female comedians discussing real housewives shows. It's hilarious :lol:

mae
01-29-2019, 05:08 PM
Yeah, the other podcast I listen to on a weekly basis is Bitch Sesh, which is 2 female comedians discussing real housewives shows. It's hilarious :lol:

I'm a real big fan of Unladylike, it's a very proudly feminist podcast and it's also often a lot of fun, despite covering some controversial topics. The two hosts are pretty dope gals.

Earl of Popkin
01-29-2019, 06:33 PM

I'm a real big fan of Unladylike, it's a very proudly feminist podcast and it's also often a lot of fun, despite covering some controversial topics. The two hosts are pretty dope gals.

Based on this feedback, I’ll at least mention Self Helpless - 3 female comics talking about shit they’ve dealt with and basically commenting on their attempts to better themselves. They have decent experts on from time and time and the girls are very genuine about not only their own efforts, but they really go the extra mile to help out their listeners who share some of their issues

Mattrick
01-29-2019, 07:12 PM
I'm so behind on podcasts. I haven't listened to Tim and Sid (Toronto Sports) barely at all in 2018. I haven't listened to Talk is Jericho since the Spring. I do listen to The Dick Show every week (and these episodes are usually somewhere around 3 hrs) because it's hilarious and the past 12 months just had so much drama...not too many podcast hosts get sued for 380 million dollars! Frankly, between The Dick Show and all the extra side material on the lawsuit, it really monopolized a lot of my time. A big issue with podcasts for me is that if I'm writing or doing anything too engaging, I either can't listen to it or I miss too much being distracted.

Heather19
01-30-2019, 05:42 AM
Thanks Mae and Earl, I'll have to check those 2 out. Episode 2 of Teachers Pet dropped some disturbing info that I wasn't expecting. I can't believe some of the stuff that goes on in this world.

Matt I mainly listen on my commute to and from work, which is long. And if I'm doing something mindless at work I can listen some more then.

mae
01-30-2019, 05:54 AM
Same, my commute, especially back, is about an hour, sometimes longer, plus I have an hour for lunch. You can get a lot of podcast done in that time.

mae
01-30-2019, 05:56 AM
Also, I'm really happy our podcast discussion is finally taking off, thanks to Heather for reviving this thread I started last year! :grouphug:

Earl of Popkin
01-30-2019, 08:12 AM
I'm so behind on podcasts. I haven't listened to Tim and Sid (Toronto Sports) barely at all in 2018. I haven't listened to Talk is Jericho since the Spring. I do listen to The Dick Show every week (and these episodes are usually somewhere around 3 hrs) because it's hilarious and the past 12 months just had so much drama...not too many podcast hosts get sued for 380 million dollars! Frankly, between The Dick Show and all the extra side material on the lawsuit, it really monopolized a lot of my time. A big issue with podcasts for me is that if I'm writing or doing anything too engaging, I either can't listen to it or I miss too much being distracted.

A big problem for me as well. I enjoyed S1 of Serial like everyone else but I have such poor mental discipline that either my mind drifts or I get distracted by something shiny and ultimately miss something vital. After seeing some of these suggestions though, I need to take another crack at some of these as they sound great

mae
01-30-2019, 08:18 AM
That’s why I can’t do audiobook (plus I just enjoy holding a hardcover). But I can do podcasts fine, but yes if I’m not super into it the mind can start to wander.

Earl of Popkin
01-30-2019, 08:32 AM
That’s why I can’t do audiobook (plus I just enjoy holding a hardcover). But I can do podcasts fine, but yes if I’m not super into it the mind can start to wander.

This is also me. I’ve flat out given up on audio books. I’ll always be a HC guy. Although I like to read John LeCarre on my iPad bc he sometimes uses words I don’t know and I love being able to learn their definition with two finger taps

Still Servant
01-30-2019, 05:45 PM
I literally just started listening to podcasts. Heather got me into Truth & Justice. I jumped in at Season 5 because of our shared interest (obsession? :unsure: ) with the West Memphis Three case.

Other than that, I listen to movie podcasts (big shocker, I know) and podcasts about baseball prospects.

So I just finished listening to the Dirty John podcast. So good! I started it yesterday and finished today because I couldn't stop listening :lol:

I know we were talking about limited series TV shows in another thread, but are you planning on watching the Dirty John TV show? I loved it. If I didn't know it was based on a true story, I would have thought it was all made up.

mae
01-30-2019, 05:48 PM
Heather got me into Truth & Justice.

Yes! The army grows!

Mattrick
01-30-2019, 07:20 PM
Audiobooks aren't as bad. When you've got 4 people having a conversation, it's harder to follow. I listen to most of my podcasts when I play video games.

Heather19
01-31-2019, 06:22 AM

Yes! The army grows!

Yes Mike, you have Mae to thank. She's the one that got me into T&J. What point are you at? I really want to read The Devils Knot, because the podcast introduced all this new information that I never knew about just from watching the documentaries. And I do hope you continue on with Season 6, it's so good! And if you haven't yet you should check out the Dirty John podcast. I watched the show first, and then went back and listened to it. It's really short, maybe 6 episodes long so it's not a huge time investment.

Also Mae you need to listen to Teachers Pet. I'm up to episode 8, and it's so crazy. It's not as well produced as Serial or Dirty John, but the story is so insane. This woman pretty much goes missing and no one ever reports her as missing except for her husband 6 weeks later. It's baffling to me how everyone stayed so quiet about a lot of stuff.

mae
01-31-2019, 06:29 AM
Yup, I just started it, thanks to you, only one episode in and I can already tell it will be intense. Also, I hope you guys that started T&J at Season 5 for the West Memphis Three case go back and listen to the previous seasons, they are all excellent. Season 2 is especially complicated and fascinating.

Heather19
01-31-2019, 06:33 AM
Yes I definitely plan to. My only issue is the seasons are so long. I had a little break in between audiobooks so I decided to listen to a few of these shorter podcasts. Is season 2 the Ed Ates case?

mae
01-31-2019, 06:55 AM
They're definitely long and the Season 2 case about Ed Ates is probably the longest. But is so worth it.

Bev Vincent
01-31-2019, 06:57 AM
Crime writer Michael Connelly has a new podcast - The Murder Book. https://www.murderbookpodcast.com/

Mattrick
01-31-2019, 03:22 PM
I can't wait for Tuesday new episode of the The Dick Show since our Facebook group was nuked today in retaliation for Maddox losing the lawsuit lol. Last week there was a restraining order being violated, now this. There is a never ending pool of drama. I love it.

Still Servant
01-31-2019, 05:25 PM

Yes! The army grows!

Yes Mike, you have Mae to thank. She's the one that got me into T&J. What point are you at? I really want to read The Devils Knot, because the podcast introduced all this new information that I never knew about just from watching the documentaries. And I do hope you continue on with Season 6, it's so good! And if you haven't yet you should check out the Dirty John podcast. I watched the show first, and then went back and listened to it. It's really short, maybe 6 episodes long so it's not a huge time investment.

Also Mae you need to listen to Teachers Pet. I'm up to episode 8, and it's so crazy. It's not as well produced as Serial or Dirty John, but the story is so insane. This woman pretty much goes missing and no one ever reports her as missing except for her husband 6 weeks later. It's baffling to me how everyone stayed so quiet about a lot of stuff.

I'm on episode 9 I believe. I take it slow and hop around to other podcasts. Do you guys just listen to the episodes, or do you listen to the follow-ups too? I listen to the follow-ups and the episodes.

I definitely plan on listening to the Dirty John podcast!

Also, I just read in the newspaper today about a podcast that revolves around the disappearance of a girl from my town 30 years ago. I don't remember the case, but my mom does. It's called Faded Out.

mae
01-31-2019, 05:31 PM
You have to listen to the follow-ups, of course. And thanks for mentioning Faded Out, another podcast queued up :)

Still Servant
01-31-2019, 05:37 PM
You have to listen to the follow-ups, of course. And thanks for mentioning Faded Out, another podcast queued up :)

I agree, although some of the questions they choose become a bit redundant. People ask questions that were pretty clearly answered.

mae
01-31-2019, 05:42 PM
True but often enough Bob will get in-depth into something which I like. Plus they often tease what's coming next.

Heather19
01-31-2019, 06:54 PM
Yes, I definitely listen to the follow-ups. There's interesting information in most of them. Some questions are a bit silly, but I feel like there's mostly new stuff, or clarified information in them that it doesn't feel redundant to me.

Still Servant
02-01-2019, 04:58 PM
Yes, I definitely listen to the follow-ups. There's interesting information in most of them. Some questions are a bit silly, but I feel like there's mostly new stuff, or clarified information in them that it doesn't feel redundant to me.

No doubt. I also wish Mike would interact with Rob a bit more. He usually only chimes in to ask the questions.

Heather19
02-04-2019, 11:41 AM
Yes, I would like that too.

mae
02-13-2019, 04:28 PM
https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/02/halloweenies-a-nightmare-on-elm-street-in-2019/

In 2018, Halloweenies spent the entire year in Haddonfield, Illinois, where they carved out one Halloween movie a month in anticipation of David Gordon Green’s blockbuster reboot. What was supposed to be a limited series — a spinoff of The Losers’ Club, our weekly Stephen King podcast — has now become a regular series due to demand.

This year, the podcast is heading to Springwood, Ohio, where they’ll dream through the entire A Nightmare on Elm Street franchise, from Wes Craven’s 1984 original to the 2010 remake. Each episode will see our hosts joined by an assortment of Dream Warriors prepared to bring their dream power to anything-but-sleepy discussions.

The first episode lands tomorrow for Valentine’s Day and finds Editor-in-Chief Michael Roffman, senior writer Justin Gerber, contributing writer McKenzie Gerber, and writer/filmmaker Lara Unnerstall going deep into the proverbial boiler room. They discuss everything, from Johnny Depp’s midriff to whether or not the ending truly works.

Subscribe now and make Freddy your Valentine.

Heather19
02-13-2019, 05:11 PM
Oh, that sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.

Still Servant
02-16-2019, 10:45 AM
https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/02/halloweenies-a-nightmare-on-elm-street-in-2019/

In 2018, Halloweenies spent the entire year in Haddonfield, Illinois, where they carved out one Halloween movie a month in anticipation of David Gordon Green’s blockbuster reboot. What was supposed to be a limited series — a spinoff of The Losers’ Club, our weekly Stephen King podcast — has now become a regular series due to demand.

This year, the podcast is heading to Springwood, Ohio, where they’ll dream through the entire A Nightmare on Elm Street franchise, from Wes Craven’s 1984 original to the 2010 remake. Each episode will see our hosts joined by an assortment of Dream Warriors prepared to bring their dream power to anything-but-sleepy discussions.

The first episode lands tomorrow for Valentine’s Day and finds Editor-in-Chief Michael Roffman, senior writer Justin Gerber, contributing writer McKenzie Gerber, and writer/filmmaker Lara Unnerstall going deep into the proverbial boiler room. They discuss everything, from Johnny Depp’s midriff to whether or not the ending truly works.

Subscribe now and make Freddy your Valentine.

Fuck.

My Podcast backlog is starting to look like my movie, video game, book and TV show backlog.

:panic:

mae
02-16-2019, 11:13 AM
I love these guys (and sometimes girls), if you aren’t listening to their Losers Club podcast you’re missing out. I know their rambling discussions might not be to everyone’s tastes and that’s okay, but after two years of going through King’s body of work (they just did The Tommyknockers), I cant imagine a better podcast about King.

Heather19
02-19-2019, 09:15 AM
I love these guys (and sometimes girls), if you aren’t listening to their Losers Club podcast you’re missing out. I know their rambling discussions might not be to everyone’s tastes and that’s okay, but after two years of going through King’s body of work (they just did The Tommyknockers), I cant imagine a better podcast about King.

I love The Loser's Club podcast. I've only listened to a handful of episodes though. I've been listening to the ones where I've read the book recently. Just finished reading The Dead Zone, so I'm listening to that one now.

Heather19
02-28-2019, 05:44 AM
So I finished Teacher's Pet the other day, and just started season 1 of In the Dark.

mae
02-28-2019, 06:16 AM
Season 1 of In the Dark is so dark, no pun intended. But very very good and fascinating.

mae
02-28-2019, 08:08 AM
WNYC productions are always a good listen:

https://www.wnycstudios.org/shows/trumpinc/episodes

Heather19
03-05-2019, 03:41 PM
So I finished Season 1 of In the Dark. Wow, that was pretty depressing, and scary if you really think about it. If you live in a place that does not have good detectives, then you better cross your fingers that nothing happens. I find it somewhat disturbing that they would leave these cases open for so long, or that they wouldn't fully clear someone's name. So many lives are probably ruined because of stuff like this. What I didn't fully understand with this case however, was that the FBI got involved. How did they not do what the local sheriff's office did not do? I've heard good things about season 2, so hoping to get to that one soon.

mae
03-05-2019, 04:02 PM
I’m glad you finally listened to it, Heather, sorry if it made you feel down. It’s not an easy listen for sure. But it’s an important story and so well told. Haven’t gone on to Season 2 just yet. Let me now if you do.

Heather19
03-05-2019, 04:28 PM
Oh I think it's something everyone should listen to. It's something I never thought about before. About seeing how good your local sheriff's office is. And that clearance rate thing seems baffling because it doesn't really say how competent they are. Have you looked further into that case? Curious about how the FBI and sheriff's office didn't sync up on what they were doing, or why the FBI didn't do a thorough investigation. It's also really sad that it's something that may have been prevented, or that they should have found him a lot sooner. Also the fact that they can never charge him with the crime. So frustrating.

mae
03-05-2019, 04:53 PM
It’s super frustrating and indeed scary. I haven’t looked more into it other than what’s been covered on In the Dark. Shamefully, I didn’t even know about this case before.

Heather19
03-13-2019, 09:26 AM
Mae, drop whatever you're listening to and listen to season 2 of In the Dark! And it's perfect timing because the Supreme Court agreed to look at his case, and oral arguments will begin next week. It's such a crazy story, and shows how much injustice there is in our judicial system. Whether or not someone's guilty or innocent, they should get a fair trial. And I also don't understand how the same DA is allowed to stay on the case over these 20 something years.

mae
03-13-2019, 09:31 AM
Will do, Heather! Listening to these true-crime series is just furthering my frustration with our justice system, which feels like it's broken beyond repair. A lot of times the prosecution isn't interested in facts or truth but just getting the case off their books in any way possible. That's not justice.

Earl of Popkin
03-13-2019, 10:10 AM
Have either of you two listened to My Favorite Murder? Curious for feedback

Or Murder Book, the one by Michael Connelly? I’ve only listened to a couple of this one but so far it seems like a poor mans Serial, but with more amusing accents.

Heather19
03-13-2019, 10:22 AM
Will do, Heather! Listening to these true-crime series is just furthering my frustration with our justice system, which feels like it's broken beyond repair. A lot of times the prosecution isn't interested in facts or truth but just getting the case off their books in any way possible. That's not justice.

I know, I feel like maybe I should just stop listening because it's so scary hearing about all this injustice. And it's so sad knowing there's probably a lot of people that are locked away for something they never did.

Heather19
03-13-2019, 10:23 AM
Have either of you two listened to My Favorite Murder? Curious for feedback

Or Murder Book, the one by Michael Connelly? I’ve only listened to a couple of this one but so far it seems like a poor mans Serial, but with more amusing accents.

No I haven't listened to either. I've heard of My Favorite Murder but haven't checked it out yet.

mae
03-16-2019, 07:42 AM
Mae, drop whatever you're listening to and listen to season 2 of In the Dark! And it's perfect timing because the Supreme Court agreed to look at his case, and oral arguments will begin next week. It's such a crazy story, and shows how much injustice there is in our judicial system. Whether or not someone's guilty or innocent, they should get a fair trial. And I also don't understand how the same DA is allowed to stay on the case over these 20 something years.

So I just binged this, including all the update episodes. Astonishing case. And as with Season 1, great production and storytelling. The fact that it’s possible Curtis might be tried for a SEVENTH time is mind-blowing. Can’t wait for the new episodes and Season 3.

Also started Accused, about a case in Ohio from 1978. The only suspect in that case was acquitted and since then the case was never investigated further. Highly recommended.

Heather19
03-16-2019, 08:34 AM
So glad you enjoyed it. I think what also makes that season so good, is that she actually moved down to Mississippi for a whole year to investigate and research it. I just came across this series on Starz called The Wrong Man. They did two episodes on the Flowers case. It was ok, but they didn't go into as much detail as the podcast does. Also they made the guy who found the gun seem unreliable, whereas he seemed much more credible in the podcast.

There are a few things which really infuriate me concerning this case. The fact that his conviction has been vacated multiple times due to prosecutorial misconduct, yet that same DA is able to prosecute him over and over again. The fact that the judge arrested a juror that didn't go along with the majority. The racial bias in picking the jurors multiple times. And the biggest frustration for me is the deals the prosecutor kept cutting with that other guy in return for him to testify against Curtis. That guy should have been locked up long ago. And now people have lost their lives because he wasn't. And to top it off he's pretty much sitting pretty in jail, having a grand old time while Curtis is locked up on death row, with no human contact and minimal sunlight. It's so messed up.

I'll check out Accused when I get the chance :)

mae
03-21-2019, 12:15 PM
Great new episode of Trump Inc. Really contextualizes a lot about the proposed Moscow tower. Highly recommended! Awesome production as always by WNYC.

Heather19
05-09-2019, 04:48 AM
Mae, not sure if you've seen this yet, but Bob just announced that he's been working on a show about the West Memphis Three, and that's why he's been traveling so much. Can not wait for this!

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/oxygen-greenlights-kim-kardashian-criminal-justice-documentary-5-new-true-crime-series-1203207564/

mae
05-09-2019, 04:55 AM
Oh wow, no I had no idea. I'm sure he'll talk about it on the next episode. But this sounds like a TV version of the WM3 season, or am I wrong? I guess toward the end of the series they'll have new evidence and such?

mae
05-09-2019, 05:00 AM
Also, I know you're a busy bee, but did you ever go back and listen to Bob's other seasons?

Heather19
05-09-2019, 05:55 AM
I'm hoping be goes into more detail about what the show will be like. Hopefully it's a quick summery and then he gets into some new investigations. He also said that season 5 of T&J will come back once the show starts. I think he posted it on twitter as well as fb, so maybe you can google his twitter feed to see it.

And no not yet. I went on an audio book kick for a bit, but I should go back now and listen to some of them while I have some time.

kingfan2323
05-09-2019, 04:22 PM
Crime podcast To Live and Die in LA is very cool so far. Nice twists and turns and very nice production value.

ratchet41
05-09-2019, 07:20 PM
i love a few Radio Free Skaro, one about doctor who, Jay and Silent Bob getting old i think is the name? it's one of Kevin smith's podcast that he does with Jason Mewes, WTF aka what the fuck? Raidiodrome and a couple others as well

Heather19
05-10-2019, 04:34 AM
Has anyone listened to Mick Garris's podcast Post Mortem? I listened to the recent episode he did with King and then have been going back and listening to some others. There's some fascinating interviews on there.

kingfan2323
05-10-2019, 12:05 PM
Has anyone listened to Mick Garris's podcast Post Mortem? I listened to the recent episode he did with King and then have been going back and listening to some others. There's some fascinating interviews on there.

Good stuff right! John Carpenter, Sean S. Cunningham, Rob Zombie, John Landis, A Wes Craven tribute with Robert Englund, Eli Roth, Walter Hill! Nuff Said!

ratchet41
05-13-2019, 08:07 PM
i have the Mick Garris on my ipod to listen to but i haven't done that yet, though i have seen his channel on you tube and he's i think a damn good interviewer

Heather19
05-14-2019, 04:05 AM
Mae, I did it. 7 episodes into season 2 of T&J. The Kenny Snow case seems a bit confusing at the moment, although I just got to the point where it's revealed that the police possibly got someone to stand in for the real used car dealer in court. If that's actually true that's one of the most insane things I've ever heard. Also can't wait to hear about Ed Ates case.

mae
05-14-2019, 04:26 AM
Oh I'm so excited for you, Heather, it's quite a case. Although, I suppose, it's wrong to be excited in a case like this, or about true crime in general. So yes, Season 2 is a long season and the initial dozen or so episodes will seem confusing (because they are) and slow, but trust me, just stick with it. Once they get into Ed, which should be soon, the case will change (it's still the same season). And Bob just released an update so please skip that one until you finish all of Season 2. Oh and that stand-in. It's true.

Heather19
05-14-2019, 09:06 AM
I almost listened to the new episode, but since I'm not familiar with his case I skipped it and that's what prompted me to start at the beginning.

The stand in really is true? I was really hoping it wasn't. That's pretty frightening. I hope the department got into serious trouble for that.

mae
05-14-2019, 09:09 AM
Oh you know they didn’t.

mae
05-16-2019, 05:51 AM
Just started this amazing podcast, it's not new but new to me. It's called Caliphate and it's pretty disturbing, but also very informative and interesting: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/podcasts/caliphate-isis-rukmini-callimachi.html

Highly recommended! Heather, I hope you can check it out.

Heather19
05-28-2019, 02:10 PM
So I'm up to episode 32 in season 2 of T&J. This season has been a bit of a jumble, with all the cases he's covering, so I'm glad that it's shifted mainly to Ed Ates. I feel like maybe 1 case is better to focus on instead of jumping around between a few different ones. Although I get why he did that. I had a bunch of questions for you about Kenny Snow and what happened there, but then I think it was on the recent friday follow-up that I listened to today where he discussed that he had to cut ties with Kenny if he took on Ed's case, and also that unfortunately there's not a lot that can be done for Kenny. It really is insane that he got as much time as he did for those crimes, compared to other crimes that are a million times worse, and those men getting way less time. There's definitely something messed up with the system. Also that's a shame that they can't pursue the stand-in because that guy had a stroke. There really should be repercussions for their actions.

mae
05-28-2019, 03:38 PM
Yes, the guy who had a stroke is unfortunate but Bob has him on the record saying he never even went to court. The whole season is definitely a jumble but once Bob focuses on Ed it gets a lot more streamlined. The following season is much shorter but no less fascinating.

Heather19
06-06-2019, 10:23 AM
Mae, I finished all the Ed Ates episodes, even the most recent one with the DNA findings. I'm so glad Bob decided to take on Kenny Snow's case otherwise Ed would still be sitting in jail with no one. It's amazing that they were able to get him out. I also hope they can find the real killer and put them to justice and fully clear Ed's name. It's also really sad to think that there's probably many more people like him sitting in jail that are innocent. I also found it heartbreaking that the family had in a sense moved on, I get it, it can't be easy but it's still so sad.

Do you think Bob was on to something with his theory of the killer? It makes sense, and I wonder if that's who it is. I at least hope they can obtain DNA from that person to test.

mae
06-06-2019, 10:43 AM
It's been while since I listened to the second season so I don't recall all the details, but if it's Leonard then it's very possible. It sounded like on one of the recent follow-ups that Bob was hinting that there may be new evidence or information available. So we'll see.

The whole justice system makes me sad, and this is just one case. There are thousands more like it.

The Jesse Eldridge case is very fascinating too, the next season.

Heather19
06-06-2019, 02:51 PM
Bob thinks it was Leonard's live in girlfriend. That she went over there and caught them in the act, and freaked out and went after Elnora. There were scratch marks on her back and a nail polish chip in her butt, which I think led him to thinking it was a female that attacked her. They wouldn't say on the DNA update episode if they knew the sex of this unknown profile, so it seems very possible that it could be female. And if that's the case then that theory makes a lot of sense. I'm confused as to why the detectives put blinders on and didn't investigate him or his girlfriend more. Especially since the few things they tested didn't connect Ed to the crime scene. I just hope they finally find the real killer and put that person behind bars.

mae
06-06-2019, 03:16 PM
AH yes, now I remember! Yup, definitely plausible. And cases like this or Sandra's it's these detectives who don't do any damn detecting...

Heather19
06-06-2019, 05:21 PM
It's so sad. The victims don't get justice, the victim's family doesn't get justice, and an innocent person gets locked up. I wish in cases like this one where there is actual misconduct by the investigators or DA's that there were some sort of repercussions for their actions.

mae
06-06-2019, 05:28 PM
In a fair society there should be repercussions but the worst they'll get is a slap on the wrist. States do pay for wrongful convictions but I believe prosecutors should also be held personally liable.

mae
09-30-2019, 06:34 PM
The Lawfare podcast has been a very interesting resource of late and their recent series The Report is a great listen: https://shows.pippa.io/the-report/episodes