PDA

View Full Version : Wave 1A: The Drawing of the Three vs. Misery

mae
04-10-2018, 12:42 PM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/DOTT_face.jpgvs.http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/Misery_face.jpg

This is the third and final round of our 2018 Constant Reader Awards. Please vote for the book you deem better. The winner receives 0.1 points added to its score previously acquired in the first two rounds.

If you haven't yet read either book or both of them, please vote Never read one or both titles. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

St. Troy
04-10-2018, 12:50 PM
An easy one - Misery.

Heather19
04-10-2018, 01:03 PM
I was just going to say the same thing. These two aren't even in the same league to me.

mae
04-10-2018, 01:07 PM
Two covers with blood splatter :)

Girlystevedave
04-12-2018, 10:21 AM
You can put Drawing of the Three against almost anything and it will keep getting my vote.

fernandito
04-12-2018, 10:38 AM
Drawing is a perfect novel.

amd013
04-12-2018, 12:27 PM
You can put Drawing of the Three against almost anything and it will keep getting my vote.

Just the opposite for me, it is the least of the top 10, so I will vote against it every time.

Girlystevedave
04-12-2018, 12:57 PM

Just the opposite for me, it is the least of the top 10, so I will vote against it every time.

Noooo! So every vote I make is just canceled by yours? Rubbish! :lol:

mae
04-12-2018, 01:00 PM
Democracy? :shrug:

Heather19
04-12-2018, 01:17 PM

Same here. I even wanted to vote for The Stand even though I haven't read it just so there would be an extra vote against Drawing of the Three :lol: Although I played fair and voted never read.

Girlystevedave
04-12-2018, 01:28 PM
:lol: Heather!

Jean
04-17-2018, 12:23 AM
...and here again

we are voting a brilliant part of a big novel against a brilliant whole novel, which is a universe in itself

I think I'll sit this one out. This is another example of why next year we should at least try to vote TDT as one book

mae
04-17-2018, 12:53 PM
The poll has closed. The winner with 57.58% of the vote was The Drawing of the Three. It receives 0.1 points in addition to its current FAS (Final Average Score), making it 7.024430642 or 78.93%.

Tommy
04-18-2018, 09:58 AM
...and here again

we are voting a brilliant part of a big novel against a brilliant whole novel, which is a universe in itself

I think I'll sit this one out. This is another example of why next year we should at least try to vote TDT as one book

Does Jean have a point? We count The Green Mile as one book but it was six separate releases just like TDT books were separate releases. I wonder how voting would go if the entire DT series were counted as one entry?

mae
04-18-2018, 10:03 AM
With much respect to bears, I don't agree. See this earlier discussion, too: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?17781-Do-You-Want-TDT-to-Compete-as-a-Single-Novel-This-Time

Basically, The Green Mile is a serialized single novel that was published in installments and later collected. The Dark Tower is a series of novels, with eight independent stand-alone volumes.

Tommy
04-18-2018, 10:07 AM
With much respect to bears, I don't agree. See this earlier discussion, too: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?17781-Do-You-Want-TDT-to-Compete-as-a-Single-Novel-This-Time

Basically, The Green Mile is a serialized single novel that was published in installments and later collected. The Dark Tower is a series of novels, with eight independent stand-alone volumes.

Four years ago, different players now...and I see I do still have the option to vote. :clap:

Jean
04-23-2018, 08:28 PM
I really suggest trying at least once. (and, as that long discussion shows, I do not agree that the DT novels can be considered standalone ***grinning bear here***)

mae
04-24-2018, 02:37 AM
If that were true, no one would do Dark Tower rankings, and we do those all the time. And it greatly varies. Some people think Wizard and Glass is the best and I can't stand it. I love Song of Susannah, and most hate it, and even say Skip it. And then there's Wind. So, with much much respect, they are all definitely standalone novels of a series. But because it is a series, then of course you wouldn't just read one of the novels from the middle. Would you start watching a serialized TV show in the middle of the third season? The episodes are still all standalone and can be judged on their own merits. Some will be good and some will be bad, but they are still individual entities.

Heather19
04-24-2018, 04:51 AM
I'm pretty sure if we included TDT as one book it would win here. It is a dark tower website after all.

amd013
04-24-2018, 12:35 PM
I'm pretty sure if we included TDT as one book it would win here. It is a dark tower website after all.

I doubt that, I like DT1,3,8, the rest are average or below average to me, and I think that is the case for most (not necessarily the same preferences). Only those who liked all the novels would rank it the highest. I think due to the fact that there are some in there not as good as the others would knock it down as a whole. I think the best it could do would be what ever DT2 does this year.

If it was combined as one, I would suggest that TWTTKH be seperate, as it is really a stand alone story (well its a story within a story within a story, and the inner 2 stories are completely stand alone).