PDA

View Full Version : Wave 1A: The Green Mile vs. Different Seasons

mae
04-10-2018, 12:41 PM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/Green_Mile_Hardback_face.jpgvs.http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/Different_Seasons_face.jpg

This is the third and final round of our 2018 Constant Reader Awards. Please vote for the book you deem better. The winner receives 0.1 points added to its score previously acquired in the first two rounds.

If you haven't yet read either book or both of them, please vote Never read one or both titles. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

St. Troy
04-10-2018, 12:51 PM
Both high quality, but Different Seasons is the clear choice.

Heather19
04-10-2018, 01:02 PM
Agreed, Different Seasons.

becca69
04-10-2018, 01:37 PM
This is hard because Green Mile has to go up against 4 good stories instead of 1. I'm torn.

Randall Flagg
04-11-2018, 08:18 AM
This was the toughest one in this wave. I went Different Seasons. 2 world class novellas, 1 very good (Apt Pupil) novella, and one good novella (Breathing Method).

The Green Mile is 1 world class novella.

Tommy
04-11-2018, 08:21 AM
50/50

I voted GM btw, do the rules of stating your votes apply here?

mae
04-11-2018, 08:36 AM
No, there won't be any ties.

Merlin1958
04-11-2018, 08:14 PM
This was the toughest one in this wave. I went Different Seasons. 2 world class novellas, 1 very good (Apt Pupil) novella, and one good novella (Breathing Method).

Have to agree, but I consider GM six part series to collectively be a novel though I am unsure of the definition of a novella/novel. Certainly one of my top five King works for sure.

Tommy
04-11-2018, 08:22 PM

Have to agree, but I consider GM six part series to collectively be a novel though I am unsure of the definition of a novella/novel. Certainly one of my top five King works for sure.

A novella is a text of written, fictional, narrative prose normally longer than a short story but shorter than a novel, somewhere between 7,500 and 40,000 words. - Wikipedia

Merlin1958
04-11-2018, 08:31 PM

A novella is a text of written, fictional, narrative prose normally longer than a short story but shorter than a novel, somewhere between 7,500 and 40,000 words. - Wikipedia

Good to know, thx. Any idea what that translates into page-wise? That's a heckuva spread!! lol lol

Tommy
04-11-2018, 08:41 PM

Good to know, thx. Any idea what that translates into page-wise? That's a heckuva spread!! lol lol

The word count for The Stand '90 is 472,376 at 1152 pages, a little creative math finds about 100 pages is close to the upper limit...just found this page of King word counts, interesting to look upon....

Stephen King Word Count (https://novelwordcount.com/2015/04/11/stephen-king/)

frik
04-11-2018, 09:37 PM
Different Seasons

sk

Girlystevedave
04-12-2018, 10:18 AM
I never read The Green Mile.

Tommy
04-12-2018, 10:43 AM
I never read The Green Mile.

:panic:

Girlystevedave
04-12-2018, 11:01 AM
I know I know. And I don't know if I'll ever get around to reading it unless I magically forget most details from the movie. :lol:

Quick! Somebody wipe my brain clean! I promise it won't be much work.

Tommy
04-12-2018, 11:07 AM
I know I know. And I don't know if I'll ever get around to reading it unless I magically forget most details from the movie. :lol:

The movie is really good. I guess if I had seen it first, reading it wouldn't be as high a priority but it is worth it I think. I am actually the same way with The Dead Zone, Christine and Firestarter. I saw those movies so much when I was kid, I've never had an amazing urge to read them although I most certainly will if I live long enough. :)

Gosh, I ate those chapbooks up as they were released one by one back in the day. After I was done, I let one of my HS English teachers borrow them to read, she loved them. :thumbsup:

Girlystevedave
04-12-2018, 11:14 AM

The movie is really good. I guess if I had seen it first, reading it wouldn't be as high a priority but it is worth it I think. I am actually the same way with The Dead Zone, Christine and Firestarter. I saw those movies so much when I was kid, I've never had an amazing urge to read them although I most certainly will if I live long enough. :)

Gosh, I ate those chapbooks up as they were released one by one back in the day. After I was done, I let one of my HS English teachers borrow them to read, she loved them. :thumbsup:

That's what I hate about growing up on certain movie; It takes away my urge to read the books later and I know I'm missing out on what must be an incredible story.
And that's pretty awesome when you can introduce someone else to a beloved book.

mae
04-12-2018, 12:29 PM
The book is way better. I cried at the end. At the end of the movie I was like, cool it's over.

amd013
04-12-2018, 01:24 PM
You know, I don't think there are any King movies I saw before I read the book.

Girlystevedave
04-12-2018, 01:28 PM

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/63064111/lucky.jpg

Heather19
04-12-2018, 01:48 PM

Yes, I remember constantly heading to the stores to see if the newest book was out. This was pre-internet days, so I had no clue when the new one was to be released. The wait in between was torture.

amd013
04-12-2018, 01:50 PM

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/63064111/lucky.jpg

Wait, I may stand corrected. I think I may have seen 'Salem's Lot on TV a few years before I read the book, but I was in the 6th grade, and I am not sure if I was able to watch the whole thing since I was staying at a friends house while my parents were out of the country, so probably was at the mercy of my friends parents.

stroppygoblin
04-13-2018, 05:25 AM

That's what I hate about growing up on certain movie; It takes away my urge to read the books later and I know I'm missing out on what must be an incredible story.
And that's pretty awesome when you can introduce someone else to a beloved book.

IMHO this is one of the books that will absolutely enrich the movie even if you watched it first. It adds depth to characters and there are no real differing plot changes to spoil things. I feel the same way about Shawshank - in both, the actors are a perfect fit and fit the imagination well when reading the book.

You are missing out on not reading Green Mile, I recommend you stop everything in your life and read it NOW.

Girlystevedave
04-13-2018, 06:00 AM
IMHO this is one of the books that will absolutely enrich the movie even if you watched it first. It adds depth to characters and there are no real differing plot changes to spoil things. I feel the same way about Shawshank - in both, the actors are a perfect fit and fit the imagination well when reading the book.

You are missing out on not reading Green Mile, I recommend you stop everything in your life and read it NOW.

I would love to read it one day. That's why I purposely won't rewatch King movies if I've not read the book because I hope to forget most of the story so I can get around to reading the book one day. :lol:
Looking back. I'm not even sure what made me watch the movie without reading the book first. :orely:

Shawshank Redemption is one that I'm so glad to have read the book first.

mae
04-14-2018, 01:50 PM
It's telling from the tight race that this is that these are the top two books going into the third round.

Randall Flagg
04-14-2018, 04:09 PM
Just to clarify, my vote was and is for Different Seasons

Sai Sheb
04-15-2018, 11:18 PM
I went GM. Absolutely loved the book..
I know Four great stories in DS but I like the underdog and one against four an underdog fight....

Jean
04-17-2018, 12:13 AM
Agreed, Different Seasons.yes! :rose:

mae
04-17-2018, 12:53 PM
The poll has closed. The winner with 54.29% of the vote was Different Seasons. It receives 0.1 points in addition to its current FAS (Final Average Score), making it 7.677122154 or 86.26%.